Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,636 members, 7,820,235 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:56 AM

What If Christianity Was A Sham? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What If Christianity Was A Sham? (6673 Views)

Pilgrimage To Badagry Where Christianity Was First Preached In Nigeria. / How Christianity Was Used To Brainwash Africans Into Submission / The Real History Of Christianity - Was The Crucifixion A Hoax? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 9:33am On Mar 23, 2007
Backslider:

@drbelloim

Just make sure you will have the wikpedia that you are quoting today to present Before Jesus at the end of time. make sure you have GOOD DENIAL OF THE writing of Josephus, then make sure you DENY the rulers at that time like
The quote by Josephus is a later date insertion by a Christian copyist, it carries no evidentiary weight

Backslider:

1 PONTUS PILATE
2 NERO
3 FELIX
4 ALL THE CEASARS THAT EXISTED

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE FACTS TO DENY THIS RULERS.
What does the existence of these rulers have to do with the validity of Christianity? Anything flies for an argument these days

Backslider:

People tend to want to block their minds from the coming Judgment from God.

May the peace of God that passeth all understanding Find you and your soul be converted.
It always fills my heart with joy to hear the wonderful inclusive message of my Christian brethern grin Not quite enough fire and brimstone though wink
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 10:22am On Mar 23, 2007
Jehu:

@ nferyn

Hi my Guy,

I 've followed your discourse and I'm really thrilled.

You have some knowledge, though, but let's present some infallibility in Bible prophesy.

The Book of Daniel: Daniel was regarded as a prophet. Interestingly, he served in the court of Nebuchadnezzar, the Chaldean King. So other records can prove his existence.

In the book, the King dreamt and summoned all his wise men to not only tell him his dream but also interpret it. This, Daniel with the help of his God did.

The beauty of this whole episode is that the dream was revealed to Nebuchadnezzar as a prophecy of what was to come after him.

Though he saw a statue, but civilizations were revealed to him in the interpretations.
This prophecy is still being fulfilled to this very day.

Do you question this ?

I'm not really in a position to question anything, as I'm not familiar enough with the content of these prophecies. However, there are people far more knowledgeable on the subject than I am that question the validity of these prophecies, e.g. :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Daniel
http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/daniel/intro.htm
http://www.2think.org/hundredsheep/bible/comment/daniel.shtml
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by Backslider(m): 10:50am On Mar 23, 2007
@Nferyn

You have chosen to follow the way that leads to Destruction I can only pray that you find Jesus so that you make a U turn.

Your soul will be Chained to your Lust and your books and websites will be Far from you, You will Shout and scream in Hell and your sins will be ever before you till all those that are found in hell and Satan will be cast in the lake of fire that burneth with brimstone.

Your Conscience (WORM THAT DIETH NOT) Will tell you and put you in remembrance of when you read this message.

You will call onto God but he will not answer you. In hell you will pray CURSE GOD THE MORE but no one will hear you. The cries of other people will be so defeaning that your heart will tremble and Eternity has just started.

If I am found with Sin I will also go there and be eternally shut out of Gods presence, this is the second death. No man is greater that hell.

IF HOWEVER YOU ARE FOUND AND MADE RIGHTEOUS BY THE BLOOD OF THE LAMB YOU WILL ENTER INTO THE ETERNAL LOVE AND MERCY OF GOD THAT PASSETH ALL UNDERSTANDING. HOW BLESSED IT IS TO BE FREE FROM CONDEMNATION OF THE SOUL
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 11:24am On Mar 23, 2007
@ Backslider
Thanks for living up to my expectations. You eventually brought the fire and brimstone to the party. It's good to have some certainties in life.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by drbelloim(m): 2:11pm On Mar 23, 2007
Backslider
When someone resolves to the use of abusive words in trying to prove his point, it shows low level of intellect as the abuser can not find adequqte points to get his arguments through. hence he resolves to the use of emotions.

the only things said by nferyn where that of facts, as the arguments u presented were baseless unintelligent and misleading, rather than you creating a stronger foundation for your arguments you begin sending him to hell. What a pity, so this is ur level of training.

you said to him that

IF HOWEVER YOU ARE FOUND AND MADE RIGHTEOUS BY THE BLOOD OF THE LAMB YOU WILL ENTER INTO THE ETERNAL LOVE AND MERCY OF GOD THAT PASSETH ALL UNDERSTANDING. HOW BLESSED IT IS TO BE FREE FROM CONDEMNATION OF THE SOUL

think you need to know more about the concept of cleansing with blood, freemasonary and satanism.

you better accept Allah and the message he sent through all the prophets from Adam (A.S.) to Muhammad (S.A.W.) as Jesus himself did, before Allah's decision comes on you.

remember Paul was doing to xtristaians what you are technically doing to Muslims now.

May Allah show you the way

peace.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by Backslider(m): 3:03pm On Mar 23, 2007
@ Nferyn

Bless your soul I can not do without the true word JUDGMENT AND PEACE IN CHRIST, and I do it with the love of God.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by spoilt(f): 8:20pm On Mar 23, 2007
You eventually brought the fire and brimstone to the party

@ nferyn
funny. Lmao! grin grin grin
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by littlekiss(m): 3:11am On Mar 24, 2007
Hello thanks very much for the advice i really appreciate i did exactly what you ask me to do and i was told to come back 3 months to my school start date.i wish to know more about you .I'm Ayodele Lousegun here is my e mail yshowboy@yahoo.com and my mobile +2348022206932. ill be looking for hearing from you.byexxxxxx xx
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by sage(m): 11:50am On Mar 25, 2007
Ok Nferyn

Im back.

Evidences of biblical inspiration

1 Isa 44:24,27,28 and 45:1-4 specifically named Cyrus as the Medo Persian leader that would liberate Isreal from Babylonian bondage. It describes exactly how that will be achieved, diversion of the waters and the gates being left open. This was written over 200years in advance. Isaiah lived in the 8th century BC and he clearly forecasted the future with accuracy, even giving specific names over 200 yrs in advance. Isaiah lived in Judea under Assyrian domination and Cyrus was no where near beign born at that time and and the Judean kingdom was still free and not under Babylonian captivity yet.

2 Jer 49:17,18 foretold about the eternal annihilation of Edom in the 6th century BC. At that point Edom was still an existent kingdom. Edom seized to exist at around the 1st century BC and was obliterated in the first century AD, over 700yrs after the prophecy. This is one prophecy you and I are still seeing the fufilment. Edom has never been rebuilt till today.

3 Jesus accurately prophesied the destruction of Jeruselem by Roman armies. He instructed his followers to flee Jeruselem whenever it becomes besieged by Roman Armies. It seemed like an impossible task but when Roman armies besieged Jeruselem, after a while they just pulled back for no reason, allowing Jesus followers to act on his instructions. The Romans returned under General Titus and destroyed Jeruselem.

4 The shape of the planet earth.
Isa 40:22 refers accurately to the shape of the earth. It shows that earth was spherical, ages before the telescope and other human inventions confirmed the shape of the earth. In another verse it refers to the suspension of the earth by saying the God hangs the earth upon nothing (N/B the teaching that the earth was flat and had literal support from some sea creatures was a false church teaching, like many false doctrines that the church still parades to day that had no basis from the bible). Now that screams inspiration cheesy

5 Lev 11:6 refers to Hares (Rabbits) as cud chewers. Critics attacked this bible passage as false until the 18th century when it was finally observed that the Rabbit did indeed chew cud.

6 Daniel Chapter 8:20-22 prophesied about Alexander the Great and how he would defeat Persia and how he his kingdom would be divided into four. This was 200 to 300 yrs in advance.

7 The bible was written over a period of 1,600 yrs by men from all different works of life who had never met each other yet it shows harmony right to smallest of details. It was not like they collaborated to write it

Well let us take these for a start. I expect this to be unbelievable to an atheist so i expect you to start clutching at straws in order to sustain the self delusionary thought that mankind and the orderly planet(albeit one now desecrated by mankind) appeared from nowhere by chance.

Nferyn i am waiting grin cheesy. The last time i asked to you show me one thing in the bible that science has proven wrong or false i did not hear from you again grin
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by dblock(m): 11:53am On Mar 25, 2007
You have elightened Me grin. But Nferyn never gives up, he's a full time athiest wink
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 9:36am On Mar 26, 2007
dblock:

You have elightened Me grin. But Nferyn never gives up, he's a full time athiest wink
Dear dblock, sage and others,

I'm happy that all of this can convince you of the veracity of the Christian worldview, but my evidentiary standards are slightly higher. I'll tackle all of sage's evidences point by point.

sage:

Ok Nferyn

I'm back.
Glad to hear.

sage:

Evidences of biblical inspiration

1 Isa 44:24,27,28 and 45:1-4 specifically named Cyrus as the Medo Persian leader that would liberate Isreal from Babylonian bondage. It describes exactly how that will be achieved, diversion of the waters and the gates being left open. This was written over 200years in advance. Isaiah lived in the 8th century BC and he clearly forecasted the future with accuracy, even giving specific names over 200 years in advance. Isaiah lived in Judea under Assyrian domination and Cyrus was no where near beign born at that time and and the Judean kingdom was still free and not under Babylonian captivity yet.
You mean that these verses:
44:28 That saith of Cyrus, He is my shepherd, and shall perform all my pleasure: even saying to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be built; and to the temple, Thy foundation shall be laid.
45:1 Thus saith the LORD to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have holden, to subdue nations before him; and I will loose the loins of kings, to open before him the two leaved gates; and the gates shall not be shut;
45:2 I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron:

is saying all you mentioned above? I really can't seen how you can read all of this in these vague verses. The only thing concrete I see in here is the name Cyrus, a very common Persian first name.
When talking about accuracy in the prophecies, you should also not forget that Isaiah prophecised that:
* the Nile would dry up: didn't happen
* Damascus would cease to be a city and be deserted forever: didn't happen either
So basically, the moment a prophecy mentions a specific, [b]unlikely [/b]event beforehand, it doesn't come to pass. So much for the value of these prophecies

sage:

2 Jer 49:17,18 foretold about the eternal annihilation of Edom in the 6th century BC. At that point Edom was still an existent kingdom. Edom seized to exist at around the 1st century BC and was obliterated in the first century AD, over 700yrs after the prophecy. This is one prophecy you and I are still seeing the fufilment. Edom has never been rebuilt till today.
Unlike Damascus, then grin
If you make enough prophecies that have a sufficient likelihood of happening, some will eventually be correct. Simple probability. Why didn't Jeremiah foresee a specific date(range) for his prophecy, something like the second coming of Jesus in the lifetime his followers? But then again, when the prophecies get specific and unlikely, they fail to happen.

sage:

3 Jesus accurately prophesied the destruction of Jeruselem by Roman armies. He instructed his followers to flee Jeruselem whenever it becomes besieged by Roman Armies. It seemed like an impossible task but when Roman armies besieged Jeruselem, after a while they just pulled back for no reason, allowing Jesus followers to act on his instructions. The Romans returned under General Titus and destroyed Jeruselem.
You have got to be kidding. None of the gospels were written during the lifetime of Jesus and the earliest gospel (Mark) is widely believed to be written during or just after the first Jewish-Roman war, exactly the time when those prophecies were taking place, what a coincidence.

sage:

4 The shape of the planet earth.
Isa 40:22 refers accurately to the shape of the earth. It shows that earth was spherical, ages before the telescope and other human inventions confirmed the shape of the earth. In another verse it refers to the suspension of the earth by saying the God hangs the earth upon nothing (N/B the teaching that the earth was flat and had literal support from some sea creatures was a false church teaching, like many false doctrines that the church still parades to day that had no basis from the bible). Now that screams inspiration cheesy
The spherical nature of the earth was know long before Isaiah (e.g. by the Egyptians and the Chinese). This only scream [i]straws [/i]and desperate attempts to [i]grasp [/i]them.

sage:

5 Lev 11:6 refers to Hares (Rabbits) as cud chewers. Critics attacked this bible passage as false until the 18th century when it was finally observed that the Rabbit did indeed chew cud.
This must be the worst attempt of putting up a straw man I have ever seen. Which critics? How would rabbits chewing cud [i]scream [/i]inspiration?

sage:

6 Daniel Chapter 8:20-22 prophesied about Alexander the Great and how he would defeat Persia and how he his kingdom would be divided into four. This was 200 to 300 years in advance.
Actually, it wasn't. Any respectable historian studying the Bible knows that Daniel was written in the second century BCE, after those events took place. this is apparent in a number of details, e.g. :
* Parts of the book were writen in Aramaic, which wasn't a common language among the Jews at the time of the captivity
* Nebuchadrezzar is spelled Nebuchadnezzar in Daniel, which is the way the king's name was spelled, under Greek influence, at a later time
* In 2:2 the king's wise men are called "Chaldeans". But at the time of Nebuchadrezzar, "Chaldean" would have referred to a nationality. It was only centuries later that it came to mean sorcerer or astrologer.
* The author of Daniel used Persian and Greek words that would not have been known to residents of Babylon in the sixth century BCE.
* The book contains numerous historical inaccuracies when dealing with 6th century BCE Babylonian history. Such mistakes would not have been made by an important official in the employ of King Nebuchadnezzar

sage:

7 The bible was written over a period of 1,600 years by men from all different works of life who had never met each other yet it shows harmony right to smallest of details. It was not like they collaborated to write it
<SARCASM>[/b]Harmony? Obviously, the Bible was written by these authors without even one knowing of the works of the others or being inspired by them. No editing happened after it's original writing, no books were left out to reach that harmony. Midrash was an unheard of practice amongst Jews.[b]</SARCASM> And yet, it still needs the intellectually olympic discipline of theology to explain away all the remaining internal contradictions. Harmony, you say?

sage:

Well let us take these for a start.
And what a start it was.

sage:
I expect this to be unbelievable to an atheist so i expect you to start clutching at straws in order to sustain the self delusionary thought that mankind and the orderly planet(albeit one now desecrated by mankind) appeared from nowhere by chance.
You've got something with straws, haven't you? Strawman arguments really are your thing: Mankind and the orderly planet appearing from nowhere by chance? Sound's like a [i]goddidit [/i]kind of argument to me. You wouldn't fall into the trap of projection now, would you?

sage:

Nferyn i am waiting grin cheesy. The last time i asked to you show me one thing in the bible that science has proven wrong or false i did not hear from you again grin
You mean the creation myth in Genesis or Noah's flood (2)? Of course I can rehash the arguments here, but you can follow the links now, can't you?
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by busygirl(f): 12:10pm On Mar 26, 2007
babaearly, i think wat u need is to read ur bible more often and know wat it contains rather dan makin blasphemous suggestions. GOD CANNOT BE MOCKED! find out, try his word and u'll see dat they ARE SHARPER THAN 2-EDGED SWORDS!.God is real no matter how u feel about him, Dat doesn't change him 4rm being GOD
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by sage(m): 5:11pm On Mar 26, 2007
@nferyn
grin grin grin cheesy cheesy.

Ur mind is made up already. I wanted to give you those for a start but its obviously of no use.

But in tackling the points that i raised you said Cyrus was a common name, but my question would be how many persian king Cyruses ordered the return of the jews from exile and the rebuilding of the temple?

There was only one and it was forcasted with accuracy.

The prophesy of Jeremiah could not have been written in the first century AD so funny as it is that you you now try to clutch at straws to say the prophesy is random grin cheesy. The destruction of many cities were foretold in the bible but only a few cities were spoken off as never to be rebuilt forever and ever. Edom is a good example.

The shape of the earth was guessed by the chinese and others but was not common knowledge in Europe. The bible description of the shape of the clashed with common view of what the earth as flat but was not stated as a probability. the bible stated it as a fact.

Besides what makes you thin that Noah's flood is a myth and the earth cannot be repopulated in a period of 4000 to 5000 years?
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by sage(m): 5:16pm On Mar 26, 2007
There is no point. So shall we say

nferyn wait till God comes down and has a face to face talk with you b/4 u believe he exists cheesy grin. It might be a one sided meeting then.

You have all the evidence you need. When you get that additional one you are looking for, it would be way too late.

At times i wonder when you think of something like the ozone layer that was designed to shield humans from harmful sun rays, one wonders how a bigbang and evolution could have placed it there.

Atheism is empty
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 6:59pm On Mar 26, 2007
sage:

@nferyn
grin grin grin cheesy cheesy.

your mind is made up already. I wanted to give you those for a start but its obviously of no use.
Look who's talking about minds made up. I asked for strong evidence for inspiration. All you can come up with are some vague prophecies. If the Bible was truly inspired by an inerrant God, all of these prophecies would be fulfilled, yet you still believe in spite of the mirky picture the Bible paints.

sage:

But in tackling the points that i raised you said Cyrus was a common name, but my question would be how many persian king Cyruses ordered the return of the jews from exile and the rebuilding of the temple?
In that passage you read an order for the jews to return and an order to rebuild the temple? Your inter textual reading capacity far surpasses mine, no doubt.

sage:

There was only one and it was forcasted with accuracy.
There were several Persian kings by the name Cyrus, one of whom was Cyrus the Great. The Babylonian empire has been under threat from the Persians almost during it's entire existence. Swell prophecy to foretell what is likely to happen anyway.

sage:

The prophesy of Jeremiah could not have been written in the first century AD so funny as it is that you you now try to clutch at straws to say the prophesy is random grin cheesy. The destruction of many cities were foretold in the bible but only a few cities were spoken off as never to be rebuilt forever and ever. Edom is a good example.
Edom is an appaling example, the references to Edom in Numbers speaks of a force that could resist the passage of the Jews. During the middle and late bronze ages there was no permanent settlement there. The whole account of Edom, with it's fields, vineyards and borders is a complete fabrication.
By the way, where did I say that Jeremiah was written in the first century CE? That prophecy isn't random, it's only trivial, comparable to those of Nostradamus.

sage:

The shape of the earth was guessed by the chinese and others but was not common knowledge in Europe. The bible description of the shape of the clashed with common view of what the earth as flat but was not stated as a probability. the bible stated it as a fact.
Yes and the Bible is really a good guide when it comes to science and cosmology:
1 Chronicles 16:30: “He has [b]fixed [/b]the earth firm, immovable.”
Psalm 93:1: “Thou hast [b]fixed [/b]the earth immovable and firm , ”
Psalm 96:10: “He has [b]fixed [/b]the earth firm, immovable , ”
Psalm 104:5: “Thou didst [b]fix [/b]the earth on its [b]foundation [/b]so that it never can be shaken.”
Isaiah 45:18: “, who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself [b]fixed [/b]it fast, ”

from http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/febible.htm:
The Shape of the Earth

Disregarding the dome, the essential flatness of the earth's surface is required by verses like Daniel 4:10-11. In Daniel, the king “saw a tree of great height at the centre of the earth, reaching with its top to the sky and visible to the earth's farthest bounds.” If the earth were flat, a sufficiently tall tree would be visible to “the earth's farthest bounds,” but this is impossible on a spherical earth. Likewise, in describing the temptation of Jesus by Satan, Matthew 4:8 says, “Once again, the devil took him to a very high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world [cosmos] in their glory.” Obviously, this would be possible only if the earth were flat. The same is true of Revelation 1:7: “Behold, he is coming with the clouds! Every eye shall see him, ”

The Bible says the earth is spherical, you say? One of the many Biblical contradictions rather.

sage:

Besides what makes you thin that Noah's flood is a myth and the earth cannot be repopulated in a period of 4000 to 5000 years?
Do you really want to go there? If I give you irrefutable scientific evidence that the Flood is a myth, will you than concede that the Bible is in error?
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 7:27pm On Mar 26, 2007
sage:

There is no point. So shall we say
It's quite obvious you can't live up to my evidentiary standards. Look at these sites if you ever plan on convincing an atheist of your truths:
* http://ebonmusings.org/atheism/theistguide.html
* http://ebonmusings.org/atheism/hownot.html

sage:

nferyn wait till God comes down and has a face to face talk with you b/for you believe he exists cheesy grin. It might be a one sided meeting then.
Condescending smuck arrogance, check.

sage:

You have all the evidence you need. When you get that additional one you are looking for, it would be way too late.
Evidence? You've never been anywhere near a science class, have you?

sage:

At times i wonder when you think of something like the ozone layer that was designed to shield humans from harmful sun rays, one wonders how a bigbang and evolution could have placed it there.
Just throw in an anthropic principle, mix it with a design inference, add one cosmological argument. There you are: one weak apologist. Shaken, not stirred.

sage:

Atheism is empty
Yeah, now go and cry to your skydaddy.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by spoilt(f): 11:28pm On Mar 26, 2007

@nferyn
shocked shocked
no one talks about God like that and gets away with it! grin
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 7:25am On Mar 27, 2007
spoilt:

@nferyn
shocked shocked
no one talks about God like that and gets away with it! grin
Sorry if I offended your sensibilities, it was not my intention. I only was getting a little fed up with the arrogant know-it-all tone of sage's reply.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 12:05pm On Mar 27, 2007
Hi dblock,

Remember this:
I cannot prove that christianity is a true faith, but I can prove that science cannot explain Biology beyond classroom science and that Religion is Paramount

Still waiting
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Mar 27, 2007
@ NFERYN
u r not only an atheist but a skeptic. too depressing!!!
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 5:42pm On Mar 27, 2007
babaearly:

@ NFERYN
you're not only an atheist but a skeptic. too depressing!!!
Why would that be depressing?
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by Gtunery: 7:05pm On Mar 27, 2007
Well I wanna express my view this way. There is a God for every man. every society has got a God. This it the truth, lets go back to history. every culture or man believes that there is a supernatural force that manifest in his daily affairs, and knowing this enabled man to fuse in the cultural aspect of REILGION in his way of life. Christianity as an offshot of Judaism which is the riligion of the Jews, now do you get my point. before the white man came to africa, africans had there own form of religion based on variuos societies. even outside africa in asia we have the hindu, budah, an many others and all these religion do have supernatural manifestations. I am a christian by faith because I was born in a christian home and groomed that way it is my faith. Christainity has gone through variuos ramifications according to history, it is not a sham. it is a means of identifying a belief in the supernatural. But there's alot we dont know, we can argue but we cant get the ultimate. maybe when one dies one will know the truth about life and God. This issue is philosophical rather metaphysical and therefore cannot hold water for as long as arguement is being raised they will be criticism. the only way to know is probably death when the spirit leaves the body and returns to the source, peharps
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by OroGojigo(f): 11:42pm On Apr 24, 2007
I'm worshipping God through Jesus and I'm loving it. Come on board, its better now than later.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by seggywilly: 8:07am On Apr 25, 2007
you need to sit and examing your life then you will know that christ exist, just examing your life. you sound funny sin cerely,
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by sisimose(f): 10:48pm On Apr 25, 2007
i like this topic, it is one i have pondered on many times, and you know what i told myself in the end? smiley

'well if christianity is a sham or there is not heaven or hell'' all i can say is  THEN WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOOSE? WHAT IS SO WRONG WITH TRYING TO BE A DECENT HUMANBEING?  from what i have taken from christianity, if i try to live my life in the way it says i should then this question the thread raises should say to anyone =IF IT IS A SHAM WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOOSE HENCE WHY NOT!
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 8:21am On Apr 26, 2007
sisimose:

i like this topic, it is one i have pondered on many times, and you know what i told myself in the end? smiley

'well if christianity is a sham or there is not heaven or hell'' all i can say is THEN WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOOSE? WHAT IS SO WRONG WITH TRYING TO BE A DECENT HUMANBEING?
Of course you're 100% right, only you seem to imply that it is necessary to subscribe to Christianity in order to be such a decent human being. Is that what you're saying?

sisimose:
from what i have taken from christianity, if i try to live my life in the way it says i should then this question the thread raises should say to anyone =IF IT IS A SHAM WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOOSE HENCE WHY NOT!
Why do you assume that you have nothing to loose by choosing Christianity, when as a matter of fact you do have something to loose: time spent worshipping, money you give to the church and your afterlife if another religion turns out to be the right one.
On top of that, the moral code of Christianity isn't always very clear, it can inspire you to do wonderful things, but on the other hand, it can also be used to justify inhumane debasement.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by sisimose(f): 8:22pm On Apr 26, 2007
Why do you assume that you have nothing to loose by choosing Christianity, when as a matter of fact you do have something to loose: time spent worshipping, money you give to the church and your afterlife if another religion turns out to be the right one.
On top of that, the moral code of Christianity isn't always very clear, it can inspire you to do wonderful things, but on the other hand, it can also be used to justify inhumane debasement.

IF indeed its a sham then what good to you is the money you gave to any organized religion WHEN YOU ARE DEAD? they way i see it i could spend that money on anything that gives me pleasure and giving to God or the cause gives me pleasure, i could also use that money to shove drugs up my nose, again if that is what gives me pleasure in this life then who is anyone to say it had been a waste?

i stand by what i say i have absolutely nothing to loose, i am not here convincing you or any one to join my belief, what you believe is your business.

you right about one thing though, yes you don't have to be a Christian to be a decent human being, i meant to edit that but got sidetracked, there are many decent ppl who have other beliefs.

i wont ever attempt to convince you to join my faith, my faith is personal and precious to me, call it selfish but i don't believe in ramming the faith in ppl's ears

As for this topic i like it very much and stick to what i said ''WHY NOT? I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO LOOSE, ''
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by GeeCee(m): 5:13pm On Apr 30, 2007
I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 5:48pm On Apr 30, 2007
sisimose:

i wont ever attempt to convince you to join my faith, my faith is personal and precious to me, call it selfish but i don't believe in ramming the faith in people's ears
You have exactly the same attitude as my wife to these things. Much respect.
As for me, I despise proselitism and the normalisation of religious faith as if the non-religious are some kind of freaks.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 5:50pm On Apr 30, 2007
GeeCee:

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
What if the God you find isn't yours but e.g. Ra (unless of course you do believe in Ra grin)?
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by ricadelide(m): 3:28am On May 01, 2007
@ topic,

"And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of his glory." Eph. 1;13-14

True christianity is not about probabilities, neither is it a question of 'if's' and 'if nots' (2Cor.1;18-20). Those who have experienced God are 101% sure of Him and of the hope they have. 101% because it is more real than the physical (2Cor5;1-10, Heb.11) and thus is beyond earthly or human contentions. Its a matter of knowledge and experience. We have been given the Holy Spirit as a guarantor, a downpayment, a foretaste of that which is to come (2Cor.1;22, 2Cor.5;5, Eph.1;14). We are not waiting till we die before we know if we were right or not. NO! Heaven can be experienced now (Eph.2;6); eternal life (John. 17;3) can be experienced now; salvation of the soul is experienced NOW (1Pet1;9). Indeed, they that know their God,,,,,,,,,
We talk of is something we have tasted, felt and touched. (John 1;1). That is why 'christians' who don't have that level of confidence (as a result of knowledge and experience) ought to really re-consider. Although it talks about a hope, we know it is a sure hope. "We have this confidence (or hope) as a sure and strong anchor for our lives. This confidence goes into the holy place behind the curtain" (Heb. 6;19)

So, coming to the topic, contrary to what many people think, we have a lot to lose if christianity was a sham; this is addressed in 1Cor 15. Looking at Paul's statment in Phil 3;8, or verses like Matt.13;44, Matt.19;27 or Luke 14;33 - which should be our experience - then indeed the stakes are very high. Like Peter, we have left everything to follow Him! And as such, if christianity was a sham, "we are of all men most miserable" 1Cor. 15;19!

But, thank God we KNOW that it is not a sham; "when Christ who is our life appears, we shall also appear with Him in glory" (Col.3;4)
"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now we know in part; then we shall know fully, even as we are fully known" (1Cor.13.12)
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by OroGojigo(f): 11:01pm On May 01, 2007
E tire me o! Man dey live on borrowed life, breathe the air e no fit explain, use a brain that has more fundtion than a computer, etcetram etcetram. Still man say question and querry the existence the Supernatural One undecided. Data or no data, Christianity is real; God the Father, Son and Holy Ghost don't merely exist, they are alive. Unfortunately, your point of view have no effect on that fact.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do You Believe In The Law Of Karma? / Mountain Top Life Daily Devotional: THE POWER OF CONFIDENCE / Supreme Vikings Confratanity ( S.v.c)aro-mate( Gyration )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.