Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,676 members, 7,820,374 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:51 PM

What If Christianity Was A Sham? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What If Christianity Was A Sham? (6674 Views)

Pilgrimage To Badagry Where Christianity Was First Preached In Nigeria. / How Christianity Was Used To Brainwash Africans Into Submission / The Real History Of Christianity - Was The Crucifixion A Hoax? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by KAG: 12:11am On May 02, 2007
GeeCee:

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.

Not if the God is Cthulhu you wouldn't.

Oro Gojigo:

E tire me o! Man dey live on borrowed life, breathe the air e no fit explain, use a brain that has more fundtion than a computer, etcetram etcetram. Still man say question and querry the existence the Supernatural One undecided. Data or no data, Christianity is real; God the Father, Son and Holy Ghost don't merely exist, they are alive. Unfortunately, your point of view have no effect on that fact.

Look up false syllogism.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by eeman(f): 4:05pm On May 03, 2007
if christianity is not a sham then christians ought to honour judas for ensuring that jesus died on the cross.
you guys call him a betrayer but he did it so crist could died for you ,so give honour to whom it is due shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by LoveKing(m): 3:40pm On May 04, 2007
eeman:

if christianity is not a sham then christians ought to honour judas for ensuring that jesus died on the cross.
you guys call him a betrayer but he did it so crist could died for you ,so give honour to whom it is due shocked shocked shocked shocked

you wanna start a rebellion!
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by Papparassi: 4:05pm On May 04, 2007
The facts about Christianity are overwhelmingly true.Jesus Christ existed and preached the gospel.

If he did not exist the issue of Da Vinci Code and this outrageous idea of him having a child named ''Sarah'' with Mary Magdalene would never have been an issue.

Christianity is all about faith and so as to other religions such as Hindu,Confucianism and others .It boils to down to what you choose to believe.But, have you not considered that other religions have something positively unique to say about Jesus Christ.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 4:18pm On May 04, 2007
Papparassi:

The facts about Christianity are overwhelmingly true.Jesus Christ existed and preached the gospel.
For which there is no conclusive evidence either way.

Papparassi:

If he did not exist the issue of Da Vinci Code and this outrageous idea of him having a child named ''Sarah'' with Mary Magdalene would never have been an issue.
This is as likely (or unlikely) as anything else in the Bible

Papparassi:

Christianity is all about faith and so as to other religions such as Hindu,Confucianism and others .It boils to down to what you choose to believe.
You really don't choose to believe, you either do or don't. There are certain things you can do though that will make it more likely that you believe in something, but ultimately, belief doesn't involve choice

Papparassi:

But, have you not considered that other religions have something positively unique to say about Jesus Christ.
Is this relevant?
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by somze(f): 1:45am On May 05, 2007
Christianity is not just faith, it is faith with reason. Christians should endeavour to research about their faith.

http://www.apologetics.com/ebooks/farinaccio-faithwithreason.pdf

eeman:

What is our concern with Judas? Its up to him and God. By your logic we should honor racist because without them equality wont have existed in US, or Hitler should be honored since his killing of millions of jews led to their returning to their land or lets honor criminals cuz without them we wont have laws to protect us. Your logic is gravely flawed.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 10:22am On May 05, 2007
somze:

Christianity is not just faith, it is faith with reason. Christians should endeavour to research about their faith.

http://www.apologetics.com/ebooks/farinaccio-faithwithreason.pdf
Another one of those weak apologetical intellectually coated attempt at reasoning that even a cursory reading of the argumentation within the book can easily demolish. Just one example:
The defense on the rationality of the Christian world view rest on the argument that all world views have certain presuppositions or premisses and that these have to be accepted by faith. The main problem with that argument is the premisses of Christianity as presented in the book are not nearly reductionistic enough and as a matter of speaking must [b]also [/b]presuppose [b]all [/b]premisses of the materialistic world view as well (I'm not going to delve into the caricature of atheism the author makes, because that would lead us too far). Christianity must not only accept revelation on faith, but must also accept the overall lawfulness of nature and the applicability of logic, the [b]only [/b]presuppositions of naturalism. A whole lot more faith, it seems to me.
Besides, to 'prove' revelation, one can only use the presuppositions of the naturalistic method, but one can easily toss out the same method when it contradicts that revelation. The premisses of the Christian world view (which in the case of the acceptance of revelation is not sufficiently reductionistic to accept as a valid premisse) are contradicting each other. It's a classical case of having your cake and eating it too. This may convince the already made up mind, the purpose of apologetics actually, but cannot possibly convince someone who honestly investigates the claims.

somze:

What is our concern with Judas? Its up to him and God. By your logic we should honor racist because without them equality wont have existed in US, or Hitler should be honored since his killing of millions of jews led to their returning to their land or lets honor criminals because without them we wont have laws to protect us. Your logic is gravely flawed.
This is indeed a ridiculous argument, especially when the very existence of Judas is not properly evidenced.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by jesusfreak(f): 10:39am On May 05, 2007
@ topic

if xtianity was a sham id just relax and stay cool cos there's not criteria to enter hell!

id be glad i played safe! at least even if i no gain heaven, hell no fit reject me!

seriuosly, xtianity CANNOT be a sham cos the spririt of God CANNOT lie. this im sure of for real!!! smiley wink
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by dblock(m): 10:43am On May 05, 2007
On what basis, there are so many contradictions and uncertainties in the good Book.

I better go to church tommorow, I've strayed away from christianity for a very long time, I might just become an Athiest.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by somze(f): 11:36am On May 05, 2007
nferyn:

Another one of those weak apologetical intellectually coated attempt at reasoning that even a cursory reading of the argumentation within the book can easily demolish. Just one example:
The defense on the rationality of the Christian world view rest on the argument that all world views have certain presuppositions or premisses and that these have to be accepted by faith. The main problem with that argument is the premisses of Christianity as presented in the book are not nearly reductionistic enough and as a matter of speaking must [b]also [/b]presuppose [b]all [/b]premisses of the materialistic world view as well (I'm not going to delve into the caricature of atheism the author makes, because that would lead us too far).

What do you mean that there are not nearly reductionistic enough? Even you cant meet your outrageous standards. Do you want the author to write about all the religions and belief systems in the world? Did you study all those systems before you decided on atheism? I'm thinking you hardly went through the book.

nferyn:

Christianity must not only accept revelation on faith, but must also accept the overall lawfulness of nature and the applicability of logic, the [b]only [/b]presuppositions of naturalism. A whole lot more faith, it seems to me.
Besides, to 'prove' revelation, one can only use the presuppositions of the naturalistic method, but one can easily toss out the same method when it contradicts that revelation.

Much less faith than you need to prove the inexistence of deity or disprove the designer's argument-where there is a design there must be a designer(which the author refers to). Or can you show clear and incontrovertible evidence that God does not exist? My guess is you needed your own bunch of presuppositions to arrive at that belief (faith).

Now about Judas not being "properly evidenced." - here with your standards again. What then is your definition of "properly evidenced." and how does it fit with the culture that was existent more than 2000 years ago?
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by somze(f): 11:56am On May 05, 2007
dblock:

On what basis, there are so many contradictions and uncertainties in the good Book.

I better go to church tommorow, I've strayed away from christianity for a very long time, I might just become an Athiest.

Check if the following links explain and/or answers your contradictions

http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/bible.htm
http://contenderministries.org/discrepancies/contradictions.php
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 12:55pm On May 05, 2007
somze:

What do you mean that there are not nearly reductionistic enough?
Quite simply that the presupposition that revelation is true is a composite truth claim and that it in itself is contradictory because the different elements of revelation contradict each other (e.g. the impossibility of the omnimax god). Moreover, to assess the truthfulness of any claim, one needs to presuppose the validity of logic and the lawfulness of nature and these are precisely the only presuppositions in the naturalist world view. So to even be able in principle to validate the truth value of the Christian world view, one needs to accept the validity of methodological naturalism. To asses the validity of any world view whatsoever, one needs to presuppose the validity of the naturalist world view

somze:
Even you can't meet your outrageous standards.
What outrageous standards? How exactly don't I meet these standards?

somze:
Do you want the author to write about all the religions and belief systems in the world? Did you study all those systems before you decided on atheism?
I didn't decide on atheism as you put it. Atheism is the default logical position to take. The onus is on you to bring evidence for your claim that God exists.

somze:

I'm thinking you hardly went through the book.
I already said that I only skimmed through it, but that's hardly an argument, is it. I am confident that I can dissect each and any one of the bogus arguments the author brings. If you want to present an argument, go ahead and I'll discuss it.

somze:

Much less faith than you need to prove the inexistence of deity or disprove the designer's argument
It's up to you to bring evidence of the existence of a deity in the first place, if you can do that, I will accept your claim. Atheism, contrary to all the apologetical tricks of theists to frame the debate in their terms, is not the affirmation of the non-existence of a deity, but rather the lack of belief in such. It's only a minority that affirms the non-existence of that deity, which in itself is an impossibility, one cannot prove a universal negative. Yet theists continue to use their disingenuous straw man of atheism, I wonder why?
The designer's argument is no argument at all. It is assuming the consequent and is no explanation as it falls into the trap of infinite regress for which it only knows one exit, precisely the one that it wants to invalidate.

somze:

-where there is a design there must be a designer(which the author refers to).
There is no design, ergo, no need for a designer. Why don't you start by bringing evidence for the existence of design in the natural world (I'm not referring to design by humans)?

somze:

Or can you show clear and incontrovertible evidence that God does not exist?
For the ephemeral first cause that is sometimes labelled as God, that is impossible. For a specific deity, such as the Judeo-Christian Jahweh on the other hand, I can most definitely support my claim of non-existence. Start by clearly defining your God and his characteristics and we can talk, as Jahweh is a different entity to different people.

somze:

My guess is you needed your own bunch of presuppositions to arrive at that belief (faith).
What belief are you talking about?

somze:

Now about Judas not being "properly evidenced." - here with your standards again.
My standards are those of historical criticism, the standard in the study of history.

somze:

What then is your definition of "properly evidenced." and how does it fit with the culture that was existent more than 2000 years ago?
What do you mean by culture that was existent more than 2000 years ago?
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by somze(f): 1:42pm On May 05, 2007
@nferyn
First of all i notice the futility of this discussion. I'm not here to be convinced of the existence of my God (Jehovah/Yhwh - both christians and jews believe in thesame God) neither are you genuinely here to be convinced otherwise (no such thing as a God but bing bang, evolution etc), but for clarity sake and for those on the wall here goes:

The Design Argument (theory) is:

(1) Everything we’ve encountered that appears to have been designed does in fact have a designer;
(2) The universe does appear as if it has been designed;
(3) Thus, the universe has a designer;
(4) This designer is God.”

Wanting to narrow this down a bit, i'll deal with - "There is no design, ergo, no need for a designer. Why don't you start by bringing evidence for the existence of design in the natural world (I'm not referring to design by humans)?"

Yes there is a design(non-human) take our solar system for example, every planet orbits round its axis at its speed and never deviates. If one planet was to be taken off, science says we would all squash into each other and that would be the end of our solar system. The planets revolve round the sun, we have a galaxy of our own that stays on its path without interefering with others. Even in our earth, we have a design, from the tropics to the antartic, every creation has a design. Insects, animals and humans.

We humans have functions that every single part (organ, cell or system) performs. Earlier when the functions of some parts where unknown evolutionist thought it was proof to their theory (claiming the parts had funtions in primitive forms and after metamorphosis came into no use). Now medical science indeed has shown the functions of those parts. An indeed beautiful and intelligent designer must have been involved no doubt - and we are totally convinced that the designer is our God.

What convinces us is our bible -love it or hate it- its authenticity, its historical accuracy, its message. Nature also helps solidify our position, and even science does (from the little i've shown).
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by ricadelide(m): 6:05pm On May 05, 2007
nferyn:

Quite simply that the presupposition that revelation is true is a composite truth claim and that it in itself is contradictory because the different elements of revelation contradict each other (e.g. the impossibility of the omnimax god).
Pray, what do you mean by the above statement: (the impossibility of the omnimax god), i'm curious.

nferyn:

For a specific deity, such as the Judeo-Christian Jahweh on the other hand, I can most definitely support my claim of non-existence. Start by clearly defining your God and his characteristics and we can talk, as Jahweh is a different entity to different people.
Please, let me have your evidence to disprove his non-existence based on His claims of His characteristics. I guess it's more probable though that you have a distorted perception of Him. But then, i'm curious.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by Bobbyaf(m): 8:37pm On May 05, 2007
Thank God for somze and ricadelide.

Somze its pretty obvious that if there is a design to the universe there aught to be a designer. And as you correctly said that designer is God the Creator. These chance evolutionists don't stop to think. They desire people to readily accept that all this order in the universe came by chance.

Keep up the good work guys.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 9:00pm On May 05, 2007
Ah Bobbyaf, how are you?
It's good to see that the forerunner in the 'lying for Jesus' squad is back at it again. You want to give your arguments against the TOE another go, or you rather have others do the dirty work for you?
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 9:25pm On May 05, 2007
somze:

@nferyn
First of all i notice the futility of this discussion. I'm not here to be convinced of the existence of my God (Jehovah/Yhwh - both christians and jews believe in thesame God) neither are you genuinely here to be convinced otherwise (no such thing as a God but bing bang, evolution etc), but for clarity sake and for those on the wall here goes:
That's the purpose of apologetics, isn't it, it is to defend the faith (those people on the wall), not to bring an argument to it's logical conclusion

somze:

The Design Argument (theory) is:
It can only be called a theory in a vulgar, colloquial sense, it's nothing like a scientific theory.

somze:

(1) Everything we’ve encountered that appears to have been designed does in fact have a designer;
assumption 1, no evidence; Actually, when it come to biological complexity, the argument from design falls flat on it's face. The non-directional forces of natural selection, sexual selection and gene drift working on natural genomic variations within populations caused by mutations and/or sexual recombination are perfectly capable of explaining our biodiversity starting from simple organic replicators.

somze:

(2) The universe does appear as if it has been designed;
No it doesn't, it appears to be orderly, something different. A snowflake is orderly and complex, yet it finds it's origin in simple natural processes

somze:

(3) Thus, the universe has a designer;
(1) and (2) don't apply, thus (3) doesn't follow

somze:

(4) This designer is God.”
Which follows neither from (1), nor from (2), nor from (3)

somze:

Wanting to narrow this down a bit, i'll deal with - "There is no design, ergo, no need for a designer. Why don't you start by bringing evidence for the existence of design in the natural world (I'm not referring to design by humans)?"

Yes there is a design(non-human) take our solar system for example, every planet orbits round its axis at its speed and never deviates. If one planet was to be taken off, science says we would all squash into each other and that would be the end of our solar system. The planets revolve round the sun, we have a galaxy of our own that stays on its path without interefering with others. Even in our earth, we have a design, from the tropics to the antartic, every creation has a design. Insects, animals and humans.
Yet we have countless places in the universe where those conditions aren't present. Simple probability in the face of the vastness of the universe can account for the fact that our planet is suited for our form of life. Your argument is similar to this: The chance of winning the lottery are so staggeringly small that one cannot win the lottery. If there are enough people participating, someone is bound to win the lottery, you know. I won't touch on the creation/evolution thingy, as you'll bring forward your evidence for ID in another thread, aren't you?

Here's a quote from Douglas Adams which I find quite applicable:
. . . imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in'an interesting hole I find myself in'fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it's still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.

somze:

We humans have functions that every single part (organ, cell or system) performs. Earlier when the functions of some parts where unknown evolutionist thought it was proof to their theory (claiming the parts had funtions in primitive forms and after metamorphosis came into no use).
Ah those evil evolutionists and what they claim. Glad to know you're accurately representing the TOE and are not talking from that place where the sun doesn't shine. Maybe you could find me one evolutionist that makes such a ridiculous claim?

somze:

Now medical science indeed has shown the functions of those parts.
Medical science, I see where you're coming from lol. Michael Egnor, anyone?

somze:

An indeed beautiful and intelligent designer must have been involved no doubt - and we are totally convinced that the designer is our God.
How little you need to be convinced, oh gullible ones.

somze:

What convinces us is our bible -love it or hate it- its authenticity, its historical accuracy, its message. Nature also helps solidify our position, and even science does (from the little i've shown).
There's indeed little you have shown, I must say.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by Bobbyaf(m): 9:58pm On May 05, 2007
Please take a look at these streaming videos that provide evidence that the bible's account of an instantaneous creation of the earth's granite or foundation rocks is indeed true, and likewise the account of the universal flood. Here is the link:

http://www.halos.com/videos/streaming-video.htm#yae

They each deal with:

1. The centre of the universe

2. The young age of the earth

3. Fingerprints of creation

Simply choose the best downlad speed and watch for at least one hour the fascinating truth about what evolutionists have not yet discovered. Its so simple one wonders why they failed to see the evidence grin

Even Jesus gave them a clue about the rocks crying out, and they still didn't heed the advice.  grin

God bless and enjoy the videos.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 10:14pm On May 05, 2007
Bobbyaf:

Please take a look at these streaming videos that provide evidence that the bible's account of an instantaneous creation of the earth's granite or foundation rocks is indeed true, and likewise the account of the universal flood. Here is the link:

http://www.halos.com/videos/streaming-video.htm#yae

They each deal with:

1. The centre of the universe

2. The young age of the earth

3. Fingerprints of creation
Here's a more parsimonious explanation for those polonium halo's:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/po-halos/default.htm

Bobbyaf:

Simply choose the best downlad speed and watch for at least one hour the fascinating truth about what evolutionists have not yet discovered. Its so simple one wonders why they failed to see the evidence grin
Yeah, just like one wonders why those creationists fail to stop using the same arguments that have been debunked time and time again. But then again, disingenuity is virtue if it's in the defense of the faith, isn't it? It's not exactly Jihad, but still.

Bobbyaf:

Even Jesus gave them a clue about the rocks crying out, and they still didn't heed the advice. grin
They surely will gnash their teeth in eternal torment, won't they? That surely must be a consolation

Bobbyaf:

God bless and enjoy the videos.
If one is capable of enjoying the lying liars and the lies they tell grin
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by Bobbyaf(m): 11:19pm On May 05, 2007
I doubt if you spent the time viewing the videos before making those remarks. Why not take the time to view them carefully for yourself. View them independently and then after we can discuss what was presented in a reasonable manner. I know you're a sensible person so act like one. Besides, you often make the claim that science is all about empirical observation. Well, here it is! Dr. Robert Ventry has challenged the status quo and has succeeded. If that weren't the case his works would not have been published in peer-reviewed science journals, and hence his works cannot be labeled "lies"

Anyone who views those videos with an open mind could not rationally walk away saying what you said.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by somze(f): 11:36pm On May 05, 2007
nferyn:

assumption 1, no evidence; Actually, when it come to biological complexity, the argument from design falls flat on it's face. The non-directional forces of natural selection, sexual selection and gene drift working on natural genomic variations within populations caused by mutations and/or sexual recombination are perfectly capable of explaining our biodiversity starting from simple organic replicators.
I did give evidence - humans. it does not fall due to biological complexity, kindly explain how. natural selection only comes to play when there are actually options does not explain how the options got to the position where they are naturally selected for example survival of the fittest claims the fittest survive but does not show how it became the fittest in the first place. That flaws your logic. The rest of what you say are mere speculations that are no different from religious beliefs, if not can you kindly show proof?

nferyn:

No it doesn't, it appears to be orderly, something different. A snowflake is orderly and complex, yet it finds it's origin in simple natural processes
The universe is both orderly and designed that is why one aspect clearly depends on another as is seen in our solar system. The earth is designed. For you to claim our universe or earth is orderly and not designed is clearly laughable

nferyn:

Yet we have countless places in the universe where those conditions aren't present. Simple probability in the face of the vastness of the universe can account for the fact that our planet is suited for our form of life. Your argument is similar to this: The chance of winning the lottery are so staggeringly small that one cannot win the lottery. If there are enough people participating, someone is bound to win the lottery, you know. I won't touch on the creation/evolution thingy, as you'll bring forward your evidence for ID in another thread, aren't you?
Proves that the earth is designed specifically. Probability? Show where you mathematically got that idea because i can likely say that with thesame probability in the infinite universe there should be thousands of earths, aliens and flying saucers, if not millions.

nferyn:

Here's a quote from Douglas Adams which I find quite applicable: . . . imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking ,
Water exists, has properties to accounting for it being in a puddle, puddle space can contain. We (humans) have capacity to think - points to design

nferyn:

Ah those evil evolutionists and what they claim. Glad to know you're accurately representing the TOE and are not talking from that place where the sun doesn't shine. Maybe you could find me one evolutionist that makes such a ridiculous claim?
Will search, i remember reading this sometime back.

nferyn:

Medical science, I see where you're coming from lol. Michael Egnor, anyone?
How little you need to be convinced, oh gullible ones.
There's indeed little you have shown, I must say.
Will search.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 1:14pm On May 06, 2007
somze:

I did give evidence - humans.
You just stated that humans were designed, but you didn't give any evidence to support that claim, apart from some spurious appearance of design, an appearance that can easily be explained by naturalistic means. Assertion really isn't a replacement for proper argumentation.

somze:

it does not fall due to biological complexity, kindly explain how.
I don't understand this sentence: what is it, what do you mean by biological complexity [/i]and [i]what [/i]am I to explain?

somze:
natural selection only comes to play when there are actually options does not explain how the options got to the position where they are naturally selected
Again, this sentence is rather hermetic, but I will try to make sense out of it anyway. I assume you mean to say that I need to explain where the options come from on which natural selection works?
1. natural selection isn't the only mechanism in evolution
2. natural selection works on natural genomic variability, which is mainly caused by 2 processes: sexual recombination and mutations. Mutations can have several causes, but the main cause of mutations is DNA copying errors.
Upon that variability, the processes of natural selection and sexual selection work. This is basically what evolution is; a change of allele frequencies within populations over time.

somze:

for example survival of the fittest claims the fittest survive but does not show how it became the fittest in the first place.
I already explained the processes that lead to genomic variability. That variability is expressed in the phenotypes of the organisms. Fitness is a function of how well the phenotype leads to reproductive success within a specific habitat: the fittest are simply the ones that are reproductively most successful.

somze:

That flaws your logic.
How so?

somze:
The rest of what you say are mere speculations that are no different from religious beliefs, if not can you kindly show proof?
Care to expand on that statement and, once more, proof is for mathematics and logic. You don't prove scientific theories

somze:

The universe is both orderly and designed that is why one aspect clearly depends on another as is seen in our solar system.
That's pretty vague. Can you put some more meat on the bones of your statements.

somze:

The earth is designed.
Or so you say. Care to bring some evidence?

somze:

For you to claim our universe or earth is orderly and not designed is clearly laughable
Why?

somze:

Proves that the earth is designed specifically. Probability? Show where you mathematically got that idea because i can likely say that with thesame probability in the infinite universe there should be thousands of earths, aliens and flying saucers, if not millions.
The main source concerning the probability of extra terrestrial life is best captured in Drake's equation. Anyway, it could very well be that there exist multiple extra terrestrial civilisations concurrently, but due to the vastness of space the chance of these civilisations communicating with each other is very small indeed.

somze:

Water exists, has properties to accounting for it being in a puddle, puddle space can contain. We (humans) have capacity to think - points to design
No it points to a feeble anthropocentric view whereby everything that fits us, necessarily must be made for us. If you study the process of evolution, you will notice that, by necessity, all organisms are fit to their environment.
If you would look into the mind of the Creator, if he exists, we would notice that he is far more interested in lower organisms than humans. When asked what could be inferred from the mind of the Creator, biologist JBS Haldane replied that he has [i]an inordinate fondness for beetles
. You could take the argument even further and infer that not humans and not even beetles where what the creator had in mind when thinking about the pinnacle of creation, but rather bacteria, as they are really the 'masters' of the living world.

somze:

Will search, i remember reading this sometime back.
Be careful to properly source that quote, as creationist advocates are notorious for out of context quote mining and making up quotes.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 1:29pm On May 06, 2007
Bobbyaf:

I doubt if you spent the time viewing the videos before making those remarks. Why not take the time to view them carefully for yourself. View them independently and then after we can discuss what was presented in a reasonable manner. I know you're a sensible person so act like one.
Greater minds than mine have investigated the so called polonium halo's and the conclusions Gentry draws from them are a selective use of evidence and a failure to see the other, more parsimonious explanations for the same phenomenon. Moreover, the fact that those phenomena are not uniformly found in all granite formations can be considered a falsification criterium for the instantaneous creation hypothesis.

Bobbyaf:

Besides, you often make the claim that science is all about empirical observation. Well, here it is! Dr. Robert Ventry has challenged the status quo and has succeeded. If that weren't the case his works would not have been published in peer-reviewed science journals, and hence his works cannot be labeled "lies"
You don't know what you're talking about. His peer reviewed work does not include the conclusions he draws supporting YEC, but only the findings of his original research. Another l[i]ying for jesus[/i] tactic?

Bobbyaf:

Anyone who views those videos with an open mind could not rationally walk away saying what you said.
You can open your mind so much that your brain drops out.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by dblock(m): 2:34pm On May 06, 2007
The earth is the optimum, place in our universe where life can be supported. That in itself is a one a billion equation, but that isn't the end of it, we the most intelligent beings on this planet also happen to possess the ability to either thrive and prosper, or suffer and Falter. The animals that accompany us on this planet also have skills of their own.
The earth's magnetic field prevents us from cosmic bombardment and certain disintegration. The orbital shape of this planet, ensures that the temperture on this planet is suitanle for life. The orbital speed, durartion, Angle of Rotation and Planetary rotation of this planet are fashioned effectively and efficiently to sustatin life The earth is self sustaining.
If any of these factors where different, life would either be inexistent or chaotic and full of misery beyound comprehension.

Yes it is true that all these things could stiill have being created by luck, but the probabilty of all of these factors to be present; is impossible unless They were actually fashioned by an onlooker.

The earth has endured many disasters that could have easily destroyed this optimum enclave of ours ultimately. Many planets and satellites(moons) in our solar system are battered by Asteroids on a daily basis, and the earth could have being destroyed by calender comets, but due to the earth's magnetic field and it's distance from The sun, the earth lives on. This suggests that the earth was not just created but created, or shall I say "designed" to endure! Bliblical Sources say that the earth was created and in due time, it will be destroyed by God so that a New earth may be created. There are so many ways that the earth could be destroyed, yet this planet hangs on firm, as if awaiting that designated day.

Again, this sentence is rather hermetic, but I will try to make sense out of it anyway. I assume you mean to say that I need to explain where the options come from on which natural selection works?
2. natural selection works on natural genomic variability, which is mainly caused by 2 processes: sexual recombination and mutations. Mutations can have several causes, but the main cause of mutations is DNA copying errors.
Upon that variability, the processes of natural selection and sexual selection work. This is basically what evolution is; a change of allele frequencies within populations over time.

Yes a change in Allele Frequencies due to changes in Medical exposure or a change in Environment in General can spur a biological change, but is this really how humans came to be? From changes in the enviroment and adaptations?
If so then why haven't major signs of evolution or at least signs of the begining of evolution in animals or in Humans appeared. This period of great technological advancement, I believe is one of the sagas in earth's history with the most change.

Can you reason or is your judgement conveniently based on a selective Hypothesis??
Or are you oblivious to the events that are occuring in our blessed planet. Humans are releasing Toxic waste, clearing natural habitats yet Animals have showed no signs of adaptations or biological alterations. When we alter a natural environment, either by development or simply destruction in general, the inhabitants of the area don't attain new biological qualities but simply just die off. The people of today aren't living longer because of Allele changes, but simply because of Medical breakthroughs and advancements. It has not being proven that medicine over a extended period of time can make humans immune to a disease or Virus. Distributing vaccines and administering it, makes the individual immune to the disease being tackled but doesn't make offspring any less subjected to the disease (Except for maybe due to the disease being less Ubiquitos, but that's a different story). To summarize, the DNA structure of Humans isn't changing, so how can Evolution be a reality. If you are still in doubt, take the Plague (A.KA, the black death) No that Virus isn't long gone, scientists have the virus stored in three locations world wide, for potential reference, and the disease is as deadly to humans today as it was when it first appeared. Yes we would probably last longer, than people back then, but that is not because of any immunity, but due to the Medicines and vaccines that we have today. It doesn't make the Virus any less threatining, but simply numbs it.

Evolution should be held as credible as Scientology.

Nferyn, KAG, Ndipe feel free to comment wink
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 4:53pm On May 06, 2007
It seems like this is turning into a war of attrition, whereby the outnumbered naturalists are not subject to an oppositions with superior arms (arguments), but rather are facing an opponent with superior numbers. It's a constant barrage of outmoded, outdated, long debunked, but above all poor arguments we're facing here. It takes not more than 1 minute to utter a nonsensicle argument, but unfortunately debunking such an argument takes far more time and effort undecided

dblock:

The earth is the optimum, place in our universe where life can be supported.
this you cannot possibly know. It is currently the only place we know of where our kind of life can exist, but you have no grounds whatsoever to make the claim that it is the optimum place in our universe in support of life. You're clearly pulling your argument from a very dark place.

dblock:

That in itself is a one a billion equation,
How do you come to that conclusion? Explain your equation.

dblock:

but that isn't the end of it, we the most intelligent beings on this planet also happen to possess the ability to either thrive and prosper, or suffer and Falter. The animals that accompany us on this planet also have skills of their own.
Yes and?

dblock:

The earth's magnetic field prevents us from cosmic bombardment and certain disintegration.
yes, and?

dblock:

The orbital shape of this planet, ensures that the temperture on this planet is suitanle for life.
For our kind of life. Other kinds of life could very well have evolved under different conditions.

dblock:

The orbital speed, durartion, Angle of Rotation and Planetary rotation of this planet are fashioned effectively and efficiently to sustatin life
Yes obviously life evolved on this planet to optimally sustain itself under the conditions it finds itself in. How can you get any more circular in your reasoning?

dblock:
The earth is self sustaining.
No it isn't.

dblock:

If any of these factors where different, life would either be inexistent or chaotic and full of misery beyound comprehension.
And you come to that conclusion based on what exactly?

dblock:

Yes it is true that all these things could stiill have being created by luck, but the probabilty of all of these factors to be present; is impossible unless They were actually fashioned by an onlooker.
male bovine excrement. You can apply Drake's equation just as easily to earth as you can apply it to other planets in the universe. Life was not unlikely to have evolved somewhere in the universe. We happen to be on a place where it did.

dblock:

The earth has endured many disasters that could have easily destroyed this optimum enclave of ours ultimately. Many planets and satellites(moons) in our solar system are battered by Asteroids on a daily basis, and the earth could have being destroyed by calender comets, but due to the earth's magnetic field and it's distance from The sun, the earth lives on. This suggests that the earth was not just created but created, or shall I say "designed" to endure!
Only in your over active anthropocentric imagination it is.

dblock:

Bliblical Sources say that the earth was created and in due time, it will be destroyed by God so that a New earth may be created. There are so many ways that the earth could be destroyed, yet this planet hangs on firm, as if awaiting that designated day.
Water, puddle, Adams anyone?

dblock:

Yes a change in Allele Frequencies due to changes in Medical exposure or a change in Environment in General can spur a biological change, but is this really how humans came to be? From changes in the enviroment and adaptations?
Short answer: yes.

dblock:

If so then why haven't major signs of evolution or at least signs of the begining of evolution in animals or in Humans appeared.
there have, only you're not willing to see them.

dblock:

This period of great technological advancement, I believe is one of the sagas in earth's history with the most change.
Indeed and our point was what exactly?

dblock:

Can you reason or is your judgement conveniently based on a selective Hypothesis??
There's a tree trunk growing in your right eye, sir.

dblock:

Or are you oblivious to the events that are occuring in our blessed planet. Humans are releasing Toxic waste, clearing natural habitats yet Animals have showed no signs of adaptations or biological alterations. When we alter a natural environment, either by development or simply destruction in general, the inhabitants of the area don't attain new biological qualities but simply just die off.
You don't understand one iota of the TOE, so don't even try. Cats don't turn into dogs and definitely not overnight.

dblock:

The people of today aren't living longer because of Allele changes, but simply because of Medical breakthroughs and advancements.
Who ever said such a ridiculous thing. Trying to pull down straw men, are we?

dblock:

It has not being proven that medicine over a extended period of time can make humans immune to a disease or Virus. Distributing vaccines and administering it, makes the individual immune to the disease being tackled but doesn't make offspring any less subjected to the disease (Except for maybe due to the disease being less Ubiquitos, but that's a different story).
Where exactly in the TOE did you find that kind of prediction implied. If you don't have the intellectual fortitude of actually learning what the TOE is about, don't even try arguing against it.

dblock:

To summarize, the DNA structure of Humans isn't changing, so how can Evolution be a reality.
Where in the TOE does it say that the DNA [b]structure [/b]should change? You're pathetic.

dblock:

If you are still in doubt, take the Plague (A.KA, the black death) No that Virus isn't long gone, scientists have the virus stored in three locations world wide, for potential reference, and the disease is as deadly to humans today as it was when it first appeared. Yes we would probably last longer, than people back then, but that is not because of any immunity, but due to the Medicines and vaccines that we have today. It doesn't make the Virus any less threatining, but simply numbs it.
You're talking out of your rear end again, see http://www.genomenewsnetwork.org/articles/03_00/bone_dna.shtml

dblock:

Evolution should be held as credible as Scientology.
Your straw man version of evolution is indeed as credible as Scientology (which is not much less credible than Christianity by the way)
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by dollyp1cute(f): 8:10pm On May 06, 2007
PASTOR NFERYN, I NOTE WITH INTEREST THE WAY YOU TAKE TIME TO ARGUE YOUR CASE ABOUT CHRISTIANITY. DON'T WORRY YOUR OWN NO REACH SAUL'S WHO BECAME PAUL YOU NO EVEN SABI BOOK REACH THE GUY.

SO YOU TOO ARE ABOUT TO HAVE A DAMASCUS EXPERIENCE AND I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU smiley smiley smiley.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by dblock(m): 11:21pm On May 06, 2007
Once again Pastor Nferyn answered my well research work, with the usual Two worded Mumble.

What exactly is TOE, and where does tee trunks come from.

In your last post you haven'y answered anthing, ut simply replied, with No and Yes wherever convinient. Your reasoning gets more pathetic everytime. You always speak of assertions and "Begging the question" whatever that means. Well I simply pointed out the obvious this time around, and you couldn't even reply to it with the least bit of intellect, but with mumbles. You're getting Senile, men, take a break.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by ricadelide(m): 4:00am On May 07, 2007
Quote from Dblock,

just saw your post and decided to respond to you. I admire the way you've argued and discussed on this forum, however, it would be really nice if you could have an assurance of faith - and that can only come by knowing the God of the bible for yourself. True christianity is not about going to church. You probably might have heard that, but its really true. I for instance was in a circumstance where i couldn't attend church for months. It didn't weaken my relationship because i was still able to maintain my communication with God. Not that going to church isn't relevant. However, things are gonna get much more complicated and anti-faith in the world in the years to come, that it will take them that know their God, to be strong and stand firm. Christianity is real; some of us have been on the outside before, and have come in - and can testify to the truth.
Yeah, like you said, on a cursory glance at the bible, there'd seem to be many apparent inconsistencies, but in truth, that's what they are; apparent inconsistencies. The bible is such a huge book that anyone can reference a scriptural verse to make any point they want to. Even the devil did that. However there are principles for bible study. Scripture must be interpreted with scripture, and it must be 'a little here, a little there' Is.28;9-10. A detailed and thorough study via an accurate understanding of the bible will confirm to one what it is; the Word of God - flawless and true.
If you don't fully understand the gospel message you can try starting up from there, looking up the book of Romans, and if you respond to it you'll find understanding beyond what you experience now. At that time, it wont be about arguing for (i.e. to gain) knowledge, but arguing from knowledge. Because the One will be in you, and will lead you into (the knowledge of) all truth. (1John 2:20,21 & 27). Cheers.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 9:40am On May 07, 2007
dblock:

Once again Pastor Nferyn answered my well research work, with the usual Two worded Mumble.
Indeed, I'm probably the best example of someone that never fails to answer with only a two word mumble. If you would go through my list of posts, you will definitely see that I never utter more than two words in reply to others.
Fact is, some writings actually only deserve two words, yet I still reply in detail undecided

dblock:

What exactly is TOE, and where does tee trunks come from.
You've been long enough on those threads to know that TOE stands for Theory of Evolution, I would have thought. Apparently I was mistaken. And the tree trunk was referring your incessant urge to remove the splinter out of someone else's eye, while ignoring the log, or rather tree trunk in your own.

dblock:

In your last post you haven'y answered anthing, ut simply replied, with No and Yes wherever convinient.
I have already answered all your objections, either when they were uttered by you or by someone else. Is it my fault that you fail to read the preceding pages and/or other threads on the subject?

dblock:

Your reasoning gets more pathetic everytime. You always speak of assertions and "Begging the question" whatever that means.
Google and a dictionary are powerful tools if you care to use them. Maybe assuming the consequent would be a better description of the logical phalacy you always fall for?

dblock:

Well I simply pointed out the obvious this time around, and you couldn't even reply to it with the least bit of intellect, but with mumbles. You're getting Senile, men, take a break.
And now all of a sudden slurs and innuendo are considered an acceptable mode of argumentation, not very Christian of you.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by dblock(m): 12:35pm On May 07, 2007
Those who have lost all faith are lost forever.

See, I could be wrong and you could be a genius, but you are thick so you do not acknowledge potential alternatives. I am not a therapist, so I don't know why you are so secluded, but for your own good consider the things around you, you never know, I might be the Genius and you might be the looney. I have answered with as much intellect as possible, considering that Religion is not based on regular observations, but predominantly on faith. If it comes down to a Ocham's razor scenario, yours is obviously the favoured story, but that doesn't make it true.

Hope to continue this little debate of ours, but please emphasize when you reply. wink
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 1:27pm On May 07, 2007
thx dblock, I appreciate your last reply. We come down to the core of the argument .
dblock:

Those who have lost all faith are lost forever.
Maybe, unfortunately I'm incapable of faith undecided

dblock:

See, I could be wrong and you could be a genius, but you are thick so you do not acknowledge potential alternatives.
That's a false dichotomy, it's not either wrong or being a genius. Anyway, I do acknowledge potential alternatives, but the onus is up to those proposing these alternatives to substantiate and bring evidence for that alternative.
See, I'm an agnostic (weak) atheist. I do not believe in (a) god(s), but I also acknowledge that I cannot obtain definitive knowledge of God's existence either way.
If I look at the different alternative world views, then I have to conclude that what Christianity offers is not very convincing to me

dblock:

I am not a therapist, so I don't know why you are so secluded, but for your own good consider the things around you, you never know,
Why do you immediately assume there's something wrong with me because I don't follow your point of view, it could just as easily be the other way around.

dblock:

I might be the Genius and you might be the looney.
Even under the assumption you are right, that would still not make you the genius an me the looney. I see no reason to follow your religious point of view and I want to stress the word reason here, because that's ultimately what makes me tick.

dblock:

I have answered with as much intellect as possible, considering that Religion is not based on regular observations, but predominantly on faith.
Here you reach the core of the argument. On rational grounds, one cannot come to Christianity, but on emotional grounds I can see very well why people arrive at their religious belief; I don't dismiss people that arrive at a religious belief on emotional grounds and I don't even say that such grounds are less valid than other grounds. What I do dislike is that people say that their religious belief is rational. Anyone that claims his religious belief is rational is intellectually dishonest.

dblock:

If it comes down to a Ocham's razor scenario, yours is obviously the favoured story, but that doesn't make it true.
Your right there, it doesn't make it true, only more likely.

dblock:

Hope to continue this little debate of ours, but please emphasize when you reply. wink
I'm sorry but I don't see what you're trying to say here.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by ricadelide(m): 10:39pm On May 07, 2007
@nferyn,
nferyn:

If I look at the different alternative world views, then I have to conclude that what Christianity offers is not very convincing to me
First, what do you think Christianity offers? There's a whole bunch of 'christianity' out there, and its so easy to get all muddled up. i want to know what you think christianity offers so we can discuss it.

nferyn:

Here you reach the core of the argument. On rational grounds, one cannot come to Christianity, but on emotional grounds I can see very well why people arrive at their religious belief; I don't dismiss people that arrive at a religious belief on emotional grounds and I don't even say that such grounds are less valid than other grounds. What I do dislike is that people say that their religious belief is rational. Anyone that claims his religious belief is rational is intellectually dishonest.
i stand to disagree with you. You are partly right in saying one doesn't come to christianity on rational grounds. the bible itself clearly states that in 1Corinthians. If you're curious you could read the 1st and 2nd chapters if you have access to a bible translation in current english like NIV. Why it has to be so, of course, is because if christianity was about arguments and the most superior of 'reason', then it would be an exclusive of only the professors and the wise men of this world, and that wasn't God's intention. As the bible says, "knowledge puffs up,,,,,If anyone supposes that he knows anything, he has not yet known as he ought to know" (1Cor.8.1-2) Neither is it about emotion, which is where you are wrong. there's a dimension of reality which is the spirit and for many people spiritual responses in humans tend to be emotive. eg conscience, guilt etc. but there is also the intellectual response which relates with the intuition. what brings people to christianity (and by christianity i'm referring to a very small group) is that their spirits are drawn to it. that's why the bible says "blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" Matt. 7;3. The goal is that no one that becomes a christian can boast by saying its because of my intellect, or its because of my ability to feel what others can't. No. Every genuine christian is one because they respond to the power that draws them in contrition and humility - in some cases, rejecting their superior arguments in the process and even, rejecting their feelings of guilt (when the bible tells them they're exonorated) eg. 1John3;19,20.

Now the turning point is this; the bible says in 1Cor. 2;7, 'we speak a message of wisdom among them that are mature'. that is, those who are in HIm can appreciate the wisdom and depth of understanding that is found in Christ. And to them, everything about the Word and the gospel and so on, is perfectly rational and logical. If you want to discuss an issue in subject area in science, what do you do? you read up the authority in that field eg a textbook, and you reference it to show the validity of your claims. Its the same in Christianity, we regard the Word as the final authority, and it is referenced (logically) as the valid statement on any issue at hand. What i usually say is 'if everyone knew what i know (now), then everyone would be a child of God'. If you knew all about the faith, and the Word, i assure you you won't be an atheist. But that knowledge comes after one has humbled himself initially in acknowledging that he doesn't know anything, because (James. 4;6)

Now talking of faith; there's a very strong correlation between biblical faith and knowledge. the more of the word of God you know, the more faith you have. that seems illogical but its very true. On the other hand though, this seems to work contrary to worldly knowledge. For example its not so easy for a doctor (with all he 'knows') to beleive that someone can be cured of AIDS. his knowledge obstructs the knowledge of the word of God he pocesses (which is that: if he lays his hands on the sick, they would recover Mark. 16;18) and makes it difficult for him to exercise faith. But really they are not antitethical. Those who the bible terms as 'weak in faith' (Rom. 14) are those with limited knowledge and understanding of the Word. Faith itself is produced in us by the word of God we "hear" (Rom. 10.17- the word 'hear' there however is not just referring to the physical hearing). its just like reading the work of a scientific author you trust. when you read the words of the article, you have faith in the result they declare. In this case, we choose to consider the Word of God as being of more value/worth than that of any man. And the faith we have in the word is our evidence to Him of how dearly we hold is Word to be true. And of course, He proves himself.
So you say you're a man of reason. Christianity involves a lot of reason, but its not 'human' reasoning. Its about godly reason. Human reasoning is very limited. I've tried to illustrate that before. There are higher forms of logic and reasoning that can only be warranted when one has understanding of some spiritual concepts/realities that are beyond us. The bible gives a lot of examples of that. If one is not aware of those realities/premises, it would seem to an observer that a believer is not a person of reason. No. That person is just one who has other premises and thus makes use of a superior reasoning beyond his, in the process acknowledging that he knows little. That is why the bible says we 'have the mind of Christ' (1Cor. 2;16). There are so many things i'd love to say but for space i'd rest. Perhaps later i can give specific instances of how spiritual premises dictate forms of logic in a christian which are contrary to the normal human response. Cheers. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do You Believe In The Law Of Karma? / Mountain Top Life Daily Devotional: THE POWER OF CONFIDENCE / Supreme Vikings Confratanity ( S.v.c)aro-mate( Gyration )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 253
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.