Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,443 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

What If Christianity Was A Sham? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What If Christianity Was A Sham? (6676 Views)

Pilgrimage To Badagry Where Christianity Was First Preached In Nigeria. / How Christianity Was Used To Brainwash Africans Into Submission / The Real History Of Christianity - Was The Crucifixion A Hoax? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by dblock(m): 8:58am On Mar 19, 2007
Come to think of it, we all resurrect from the dead every day, I mean "they say sleep is da cousin of death"
Well in that case Coma must be him sister grin grin
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by spoilt(f): 9:19am On Mar 19, 2007
@nferyn
i believe in miracles, i have seen them happen. its okay if you dont believe. you're entiltled actually. but i know when something extra-ordinary happens to me and i cant ascribe it to man. and oh, as for baal, he was shamed a long time ago.need i repeat the story?
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 9:34am On Mar 19, 2007
spoilt:

"Anecdote and placebo effect. Never have faith healing and prayer been shown to work in a controlled test" environment

@nferyn
what did you expect? for God to come down in the labs because the scientists wanted him to?
1. Under proper test conditions doesn't only mean lab conditions. There should be a way to isolate influencing factors other than what is being tested for though
2. A proper analysis of data gather from studies on the effectiveness of prayer could also do the trick

3. Currently there is no research (and many experiments have been conducted, some of them very well funded by e.g. the Templeton Foundations) indicating that prayer works, at all. All effects can be attributed to selection bias, placebo effect and sloppy statistical analysis.

4. Actually, as no evidence for the existence of God exists, something like coming to pay us a visit would really do the trick of convincing us skeptics about his existence. Currently, he only reaches the gullible and indoctrinated. I am completely immune for faith (belief without evidence) though.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 9:39am On Mar 19, 2007
spoilt:

@nferyn
i believe in miracles, i have seen them happen. its okay if you don't believe. you're entiltled actually. but i know when something extra-ordinary happens to me and i can't ascribe it to man.
Ok, and if something that cannot be ascribed to man (in your (and my) limited imagination), it automatically must be ascribed to God? That's no explanation at all.

spoilt:

and oh, as for baal, he was shamed a long time ago.need i repeat the story?
Just a silly joke, but you could just as well ascribe the extra-ordinary to Zeus, Ahura-mazda, Vishnu, Baalt, Thor or any other deity. Without any concrete evidence for their existence, they're equally probable as Jahweh
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by dblock(m): 10:01am On Mar 19, 2007
I feel great already knowing that if what you are saying is true, it would mean that we humans and animals alike live in a world that was created by Nobody for no reason but by accident. That every bit of detail on my body was created by accident and was created for no known purpose.

That the fact that we can breath, and function for as long as 100years was just an accident and each and every part of our body is just randomly created for no reason.
The lithosphere is perfectly situated above Magma and the Hydrosphere perfectly functions along with the Hydrosphere by accident and was randomly created.

Our very existence has no purpose, and our everyday endeavors are furtile for we shall be deceased and the only effect we shall have is that of our memory, destruction or creation and possible intellectual Input.
We are only a part of a Grand accident, and if life was to cease on this planet, there might be nowhere where there is life for a long period of time, unless of course there is another accident.

Your signature states that Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, but the alternatives offered by modern physicists seem somewhat "Bogus to me"

Christianity is a religion not a scientific discovery, Any lack of evidence that it may have act to it's disadvantage but doesn't necessarily disprove anything. For Christianity became of Age when Christ arrived on earth and Christs's existence could onlypossibly be recorded in books and in stories*(Which They were)*
What sort of evidence do yoy require Nferyn?
Maybe some Video footage, in MP4, Mpeg4, MOv, WMA, 3gp, 3gp2 formats? ( don't you think those weren't invented yet)
There are significant forces all around that are seperated from scientifical forces because no known explanation can correct them.

Christianity has it's uncertainties, such as the books that were excluded from the bible, the Mary Magdalene conspiracy etc. But to say that the religion is a sham is a different story.
I cannot prove that christianity is a true faith, but I can prove that science cannot explain Biology beyond classroom science and that Religion is Paramount
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 11:13am On Mar 19, 2007
dblock:

I feel great already knowing that if what you are saying is true, it would mean that we humans and animals alike live in a world that was created by Nobody for no reason but by accident. That every bit of detail on my body was created by accident and was created for no known purpose.
Actually, the creation part is unnecessary. It's begging the question. Creation [/i]is a unnecessary concept when discussing the universe. Moreover, by accident isn't really the term I would use. To quote Richard Dawkins: [i]Life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators

dblock:

That the fact that we can breath, and function for as long as 100years was just an accident and each and every part of our body is just randomly created for no reason.
The lithosphere is perfectly situated above Magma and the Hydrosphere perfectly functions along with the Hydrosphere by accident and was randomly created.
Again, created is the wrong word to use, but here, you're assuming that rare event's don't happen. It's not because something has a small chance of occuring that it doesn't happen at all. The chance of you winning the lottery is so small that it doesn't merit consideration, yet several people win the lottery every single week.
Douglas Adams captured this erronous line of reasoning pretty well:
. . . imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in, an interesting hole I find myself in, fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it's still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.

dblock:

Our very existence has no purpose, and our everyday endeavors are furtile for we shall be deceased and the only effect we shall have is that of our memory, destruction or creation and possible intellectual Input.
We are only a part of a Grand accident, and if life was to cease on this planet, there might be nowhere where there is life for a long period of time, unless of course there is another accident.

Your signature states that Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, but the alternatives offered by modern physicists seem somewhat "Bogus to me"
That's a very depressing worldview. Purpose is what you make of it, why would you need any (even imaginary) external justification in the first place? You're an adult, I guess, face reality and stop looking for the cosy comfort if fairy-tales.
As for the alternatives offered by modern physicist, I wouldn't know. I didn't study physics to a sufficient degree to be able to judge these justifications (which justifications of what exactly?)

dblock:

Christianity is a religion not a scientific discovery, Any lack of evidence that it may have act to it's disadvantage but doesn't necessarily disprove anything.
Yet it makes truth-claims all the same. Anyway, you cannot possibly prove a negative, but that doesn't make the position reasonable though.

dblock:

For Christianity became of Age when Christ arrived on earth and Christs's existence could onlypossibly be recorded in books and in stories*(Which They were)*
Recorder long after Jesus' death with a lot of doctoring the texts though. As far as evidence goes, flimsy would be too kind a word.

dblock:

What sort of evidence do yoy require Nferyn?
Maybe some Video footage, in MP4, Mpeg4, MOv, WMA, 3gp, 3gp2 formats? ( don't you think those weren't invented yet)
Now that would be a miracle, wouldn't it? One that could not be explained. Something like that would do the trick.

dblock:

There are significant forces all around that are seperated from scientifical forces because no known explanation can correct them.
A God of the Gaps anyone?

dblock:

Christianity has it's uncertainties, such as the books that were excluded from the bible, the Mary Magdalene conspiracy etc. But to say that the religion is a sham is a different story.
Sham may be an incorrect term, because it implies dishonest intent.

dblock:

I cannot prove that christianity is a true faith,
Isn't that a contradiction in the terms? How can a faith ever be investigated for it's truth value? Once that trut value is established, it's no longer faith.

dblock:

but I can prove that science cannot explain Biology beyond classroom science and that Religion is Paramount
I'll take you up on that challenge. Fire away.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by dblock(m): 10:28pm On Mar 19, 2007
. . . imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in, an interesting hole I find myself in, fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it's still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.

This is an interesting story, it seems to explain and reveal a lot of things but it is just a ficticious story created to act in favour of science

I'll take you up on that challenge. Fire away.

I'm on the case wink
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by spoilt(f): 11:07pm On Mar 19, 2007
@ nferyn

there is a God and the bible is his word to man.
No one has ever successfully refuted the Bible. Many mock the Bible but no one who has done in-depth research, honestly examining the evidence for the Bible's inspiration and truthfulness, has been able to disprove the Bible.

Who but God could produce such a book?

Hundreds of prophecies of future events were recorded in the Bible -- some of them centuries before fulfillment -- and not one detail of any of them has ever failed!

Could man -- especially dozens of men, writing in different countries and different times -- foretell the future so accurately? Never! Only God could do such a tremendous thing.

No one but God could reveal the future in such detail, often hundreds of years before the events occurred. Not only the future of cities, nations, and the world, but also concerning the future birth, ministry, death, and resurrection of Christ.

The chance that all these predictions could come true exactly as written is beyond most human's comprehension, giving to any honest enquirer undeniable proof that God inspired the writing of the prophecies in the Bible.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 12:12am On Mar 20, 2007
spoilt:

@ nferyn

there is a God and the bible is his word to man.
No one has ever successfully refuted the Bible. Many mock the Bible but no one who has done in-depth research, honestly examining the evidence for the Bible's inspiration and truthfulness, has been able to disprove the Bible.
I could start with ripping apart the creation myth of Genesis and the idiocy of Noah's global flood if you indulge me, but then before I start, I would like to know whether or not you're willing to listen.

But, just in case you're not reading the Bible literally, what do you consider inspiration and truthfulness?

spoilt:

Who but God could produce such a book?
Different authors well versed in the practice of midrash

spoilt:

Hundreds of prophecies of future events were recorded in the Bible -- some of them centuries before fulfillment -- and not one detail of any of them has ever failed!
Midrash anyone?
Maybe you could give a specific example of fulfilled prophecy that isn't so incredibly vague that it could mean anything?

spoilt:

Could man -- especially dozens of men, writing in different countries and different times -- foretell the future so accurately? Never! Only God could do such a tremendous thing.
We first need to establish the value of these prophecies, before we can begin attributing it to God

spoilt:

No one but God could reveal the future in such detail, often hundreds of years before the events occurred. Not only the future of cities, nations, and the world, but also concerning the future birth, ministry, death, and resurrection of Christ.
Please read up on midrash, you'll understand that the prophecies foretold in the Torah concerning Jesus were a very common way of establishing authority within the Jewish community.

spoilt:

The chance that all these predictions could come true exactly as written is beyond most human's comprehension, giving to any honest enquirer undeniable proof that God inspired the writing of the prophecies in the Bible.
Begging the question, are we not? Foregive me that I won't take your word for it.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by Backslider(m): 6:53am On Mar 20, 2007
@nferyn

Remember you were given the Chances to make your case. When you shall stand before God that made you be ready with all your books and your Arguements. Make sure you take it to your grave.  My brother be warned

Heb: 9 27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

I am just sad that you cannot defend yourself and there is no Lawyer that will plead your case on that terrible day of the LORD.

I know of a loving Lawyer that will plead your case but you must accept him on this side of eternity. His fee is that you must surrender your soul you whole life to him.

Take jesus now and flee the coming wrath of God. Those gods and Philosophy will not save you they will be no where on that day God will Judge the sins of all men.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 8:17am On Mar 20, 2007
Backslider,

If you can't come up with a proper argument, please don't bother. Thanks for your - misguided - concern anyway.

Regards
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by sage(m): 9:14am On Mar 20, 2007
nferyn:

I could start with ripping apart the creation myth of Genesis and the idiocy of Noah's global flood if you indulge me, but then before I start, I would like to know whether or not you're willing to listen.

But, just in case you're not reading the Bible literally, what do you consider inspiration and truthfulness?
Different authors well versed in the practice of midrash
Midrash anyone?
Maybe you could give a specific example of fulfilled prophecy that isn't so incredibly vague that it could mean anything?
We first need to establish the value of these prophecies, before we can begin attributing it to God
Please read up on midrash, you'll understand that the prophecies foretold in the Torah concerning Jesus were a very common way of establishing authority within the Jewish community.
Begging the question, are we not? Foregive me that I won't take your word for it.

Nferyn

Many prophesies in the bible were foretold and written way b/4 it happened and it fulfilled.

This aint no joke. It screams inspiration.

Il come back and post some for you.

In the meantime get as much of accurate dates of the bible as you can. I want you to get to know the dates in which the bible books were written. Do all research neccesary. I don't want you to start arguing dates in a desperate bid to discredit clear prophesies that were fulfilled clearly hundreds of years after they were written.

If you do just that You are in for a surprise and a big one a that
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 9:25am On Mar 20, 2007
sage:

Nferyn

Many prophesies in the bible were foretold and written way b/4 it happened and it fulfilled.

This aint no joke. It screams inspiration.

Il come back and post some for you.
Please do

sage:

In the meantime get as much of accurate dates of the bible as you can. I want you to get to know the dates in which the bible books were written. Do all research neccesary. I don't want you to start arguing dates in a desperate bid to discredit clear prophesies that were fulfilled clearly hundreds of years after they were written.
What's that supposed to mean?

sage:

If you do just that You are in for a surprise and a big one a that
When you have shown with examples that some of these prophecies cannot be explained by other means than divine inspiration, I will do just that. Currently I see no reason to waste my time on an endeavor that might be entirely futile. Convince me that it would be time well spent.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by dblock(m): 10:22am On Mar 20, 2007
I'll go ahead and argue for the existence of God and thus that Christianity is pragmatic.

Findings to suggest the existence of God;

*The following findings question scientifically theories*

[li]Cosmological, Teleological and Ontological arguments are incomplete and are unexplained without an entity such as God[/li]
[li]Anthropic Arguments explain our existence but again is incomplete if a Deity such as God isn't interleaved into the equation[/li]

[li]Moral Arguments argue that the existence of objective morality depends on the existence of God.
[/li] (Thus implying that an orderly civilization is orderly for it's own sake if God didn't exist)

God has intervened in history on numerous occasions, but God has never intervened unless it's part of the Grand Plan which is described in Great detail in the Bible.

The Bible points out that people like you(Nferyn) will argue against Christianity and lead people astray
*It also foretells the destruction of civilization gradually
*It foretells Natural disasters occurring
*Incurable diseases

You cannot disprove the existence of God for all that yo have pointed out were foretold in the Bible
You ask for evidence akin to scientifically evidence.

The only things that you will find are those that happened historically in the time of Christ and before and spiritual intervention.

Your story of the puddle explains in favour of atheism and science why we are not necessarily here for a purpose but does not take note that; If the puddle(Us) existed for no reason it would mean that the Universe existed for no reason, the variables existed for no reason and everything before esidted for no reason and thus it is more questionable than the existence of Santa Claus

Here is a little story to make it easier to understand

If it is said that a Broom exists for no reason and that the wood that created the broom created it by a random equation

Then how could the wood also be created for no reason if it was used for the creation of the broom

This^^^^ might be a little hard to grasp so I'll rephrase. The Big Bang is an accident as explained by science, but an accident occurs for no reason and it's re precautions were created for no reason but occurred because of the accident and nothing more. If we are created for no reason it would have to mean that the variables that created us were also created for no reason
but if the variables were created for no reason and the subatomic particles that may have created the variables were also created for no initial reason then it would mean that the whole equation was nothing more than an accident that was also created for no reason and so on. This is sending signals to me that scientificla theories are only in the middle of a Book and that SCIENCE HAS PROVIDED ANY THEORY OF ANY SORT FOR PAGE 1. What came first?, nothing, what created nothing

Another Accident grin grin grin

I'll rather devote
my life to worshiping Santa Claus than to half explained questionable theories
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by EmoreO(m): 10:46am On Mar 20, 2007
The answer you seek is within you. When you get from the point of awareness to the point of discovery, then your mind will be empowered. You must believe in something, and I believe that the Bible is the only book that has all the answers.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 1:40pm On Mar 20, 2007
dblock:

I'll go ahead and argue for the existence of God and thus that Christianity is pragmatic.

Findings to suggest the existence of God;

*The following findings question scientifically theories*

[li]Cosmological, Teleological and Ontological arguments are incomplete and are unexplained without an entity such as God[/li]
[li]Anthropic Arguments explain our existence but again is incomplete if a Deity such as God isn't interleaved into the equation[/li]

[li]Moral Arguments argue that the existence of objective morality depends on the existence of God.
[/li] (Thus implying that an orderly civilization is orderly for it's own sake if God didn't exist)
Could you present something with substance as well? These are merely assertions without anything to back them up.

dblock:

God has intervened in history on numerous occasions, but God has never intervened unless it's part of the Grand Plan which is described in Great detail in the Bible.

The Bible points out that people like you(Nferyn) will argue against Christianity and lead people astray
Incredible claims to make. I'm impressed to find out that I have such powers

dblock:

*It also foretells the destruction of civilization gradually
This little pale blue dot has never been more civilised in it's entire history. The moral progress we've made in the last century alone is an incredible accomplishment.

dblock:

*It foretells Natural disasters occurring
Indeed and I foretell that someone will be born in the next minute or so

dblock:

*Incurable diseases
Are these your irrefutable prophecies?

dblock:

You cannot disprove the existence of God for all that yo have pointed out were foretold in the Bible
You ask for evidence akin to scientifically evidence.
Shouldn't be too difficult for God to accomplish, alas He stays mute. I wonder why

dblock:

The only things that you will find are those that happened historically in the time of Christ and before and spiritual intervention.
There is hardly any evidence of Christ ever having lived at all, let alone of his ministry. Doesn't say he didn't exist, though, but it makes one wonder.

dblock:

Your story of the puddle explains in favour of atheism and science why we are not necessarily here for a purpose but does not take note that; If the puddle(Us) existed for no reason it would mean that the Universe existed for no reason, the variables existed for no reason and everything before esidted for no reason and thus it is more questionable than the existence of Santa Claus
The little story wasn't intended to be in favor of atheism, only to show the baselessness of the arguments in favor of God based on the anthropic principle. It's not because something doesn't have any ultimate purpose that it all of a sudden becomes baseless. You have to explain that one to me.

dblock:

Here is a little story to make it easier to understand

If it is said that a Broom exists for no reason and that the wood that created the broom created it by a random equation

Then how could the wood also be created for no reason if it was used for the creation of the broom
It's not that it is hard to grasp, but rather that it is nonsensical.

dblock:

This^^^^ might be a little hard to grasp so I'll rephrase. The Big Bang is an accident as explained by science, but an accident occurs for no reason and it's re precautions were created for no reason but occurred because of the accident and nothing more. If we are created for no reason it would have to mean that the variables that created us were also created for no reason
Your terminology is a bit sloppy, but in essence, yes, there is no ultimate reason why we are here. Inferring reason, or more precisely intent, is a anthropomorphic approach to the physical reality. There is usually only agency in biological entities that have a certain level of awareness.

dblock:

but if the variables were created for no reason and the subatomic particles that may have created the variables were also created for no initial reason then it would mean that the whole equation was nothing more than an accident that was also created for no reason and so on. This is sending signals to me that scientificla theories are only in the middle of a Book and that SCIENCE HAS PROVIDED ANY THEORY OF ANY SORT FOR PAGE 1. What came first?, nothing, what created nothing
You have to (try to) understand that:
1. time is relative (don't think of it as a purely linear phenomenon independent from other factors)
2. time came only into existence during the Big Bang, asking what came before the Big bang is like asking what to find north of the North Pole.

dblock:

Another Accident grin grin grin
If you can only comprehend it in these terms (which are pretty poor analogies), then yes.

dblock:

I'll rather devote
my life to worshiping Santa Claus than to half explained questionable theories
And I rather not waste my limited time worshiping anything at all. Life is a precious gift that's better not wasted on something idiotic like worshiping some imaginary being.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by batu: 3:46pm On Mar 20, 2007
@All-the-resident-Atheists-in-the-House: babaearly, KAG, nferyn etc

Shalom! I have read all your arguements, and request for data of the efficacy of faith in Christ or existence of God. Now, here is one of the valid data from the only valid source; afterall logic suggests that a phenomenom operates according to a set of evidence.

Romans 1 vs 20-22:
(20): For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead (i.eDivinity); so that they are without excuse;
(21): Because that, when they knew God, they glorified Him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
(22): Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools. (this is particularly poignant in this topic)

Now listen to the explanation of the verses:
God's Creation reveals two things about Him: His eternal power and Divinity. Creation reveals that God is powerful; hence man is obligated to Him and the fact that He is God. Importantly and very relevant here is the phrase that "they are Without excuse" in verse 20: this means that no man or woman including Richard Dawkins, philosopher, atheist, secular humanist, Epicurian or Stoic etc, will be able to stand before God and say that he/she turned away from God because God did not give any light or evidence of His existence. ALL men/women have had the revelation of God from creation. This Cosmological evidence for the existence of God from cause and effect is one of the logical arguements for the existence of God. As everything that exists must have an adequate cause; an all powerful and intelligent God is the ONLY adequate cause to explain the universe. The scriptures identifies that "cause" as the creative power of the Almighty God.(Ref: Genesis 1:1, Romans 1:19,20, Psalms 94:9)

Final word: It does not matter whether we, in our wisdom, believe in God or not; we are still going to be Judged by God. Additionally, it does not matter whether you believe in the scriptures or the Bible verses I quoted/referenced or not; we are all going to be judged by the very words of God in the Bible.
It is just like standing in path of a 40ft-high tidal wave and saying you do not believe in the wave or it's power; you are still going to be swept away whether you believe or not. Sounds like 'blind dogma' and rethorics to you(?),,,,,,,,,,well it might sound like that, but it's not! Peace.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 4:13pm On Mar 20, 2007
batu,

It's quite clear that you haven't read my arguments, otherwise you wouldn't repeat the same shallow arguments that have been refuted time after time again.

1. Your logic is circular. You are assuming the consequent. you cannot use the Bible to establish it's validity.
2. Your prime mover argument doesn't even begin to explain anything, as you would still need to explain your prime mover. Applying Occam's razer would lead us to get rid of the unnecessary entity in your explanatory framework, namely God.
3. Even assuming your prime mover argument were valid - which it isn't - then that still would not be evidence for your God, Zeus could claim that position with equal confidence
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by bigbumper(f): 7:57pm On Mar 20, 2007
nferyn:

. . . And I rather not waste my limited time worshiping anything at all. Life is a precious gift that's better not wasted on something idiotic like worshiping some imaginary being.

And us Christians would rather neither waste our limited time worshipping Richard Dawkins, nor agencies in biological entities that have certain level of awareness nor methodological nasturalism.

end of
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by KAG: 8:11pm On Mar 20, 2007
batu:

@All-the-resident-Atheists-in-the-House: babaearly, KAG, nferyn etc

Shalom! I have read all your arguements, and request for data of the efficacy of faith in Christ or existence of God. Now, here is one of the valid data from the only valid source; afterall logic suggests that a phenomenom operates according to a set of evidence.

Begging the question. What makes the Bible the only valid source? Furthermore, what makes any of what you'll post from it, valid data?

Romans 1 vs 20-22:
(20): For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead (i.eDivinity); so that they are without excuse;
(21): Because that, when they knew God, they glorified Him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
(22): Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools. (this is particularly poignant in this topic)

Now listen to the explanation of the verses:
God's Creation reveals two things about Him: His eternal power and Divinity. Creation reveals that God is powerful; hence man is obligated to Him and the fact that He is God.

Still begging the question. Also, by science and logic we can deduce that a "creator" is unnecesssary, therefore the world and all its inhabitants wouldn't reveal the power of any God, etc.

Importantly and very relevant here is the phrase that "they are Without excuse" in verse 20: this means that no man or woman including Richard Dawkins, philosopher, atheist, secular humanist, Epicurian or Stoic etc, will be able to stand before God and say that he/she turned away from God because God did not give any light or evidence of His existence. ALL men/women have had the revelation of God from creation.

I haven't.

This Cosmological evidence for the existence of God from cause and effect is one of the logical arguements for the existence of God. As everything that exists must have an adequate cause; an all powerful and intelligent God is the ONLY adequate cause to explain the universe. The scriptures identifies that "cause" as the creative power of the Almighty God.(Ref: Genesis 1:1, Romans 1:19,20, Psalms 94:9)

First, since everything that exists must have an adequate cause, and you've - without any reason or explanation - decided God was the adequate cause, but God possibly didn't need a cause, then God doesn't exist. Q.E.D.

On the other hand, I could point out that not everything in our Universe needs a cause.

Final word: It does not matter whether we, in our wisdom, believe in God or not; we are still going to be Judged by God. Additionally, it does not matter whether you believe in the scriptures or the Bible verses I quoted/referenced or not; we are all going to be judged by the very words of God in the Bible.
It is just like standing in path of a 40ft-high tidal wave and saying you do not believe in the wave or it's power; you are still going to be swept away whether you believe or not. Sounds like 'blind dogma' and rethorics to you(?),,,,,,,,,,well it might sound like that, but it's not! Peace.

Okay, but just so you know, it's noting like standing in the path of a 40ft-high tidal wave (well, unless the tidal is invisible and cannot be detected in any tangible way). And, it is "blind dogma" and rhetoric.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by bigbumper(f): 8:20pm On Mar 20, 2007
nferyn:

A God of the Gaps anyone?

I would rather believe in A God of the gaps than the gaps (vacuum energy) itself.   wink

As thou knowest not what is the way of the spirit, nor how the bones do grow in the womb of her that is with child, even so though knowest not the works of God who maketh all
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by KAG: 8:36pm On Mar 20, 2007
big_bumper:

And us Christians would rather neither waste our limited time worshipping Richard Dawkins, nor agencies in biological entities that have certain level of awareness nor methodological nasturalism.

end of

People worship Richard Dawkins? Talk about irony.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Mar 21, 2007
@ batu

I'M NOT AN ATHEIST!
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by sage(m): 5:22pm On Mar 21, 2007
Hey Nferyn

Why i said you should get acquinted with those dates is because those prophesies were made, written and completed in advance and hundreds of years before. I know you would want to discredit the bible even in the face of truth.

For example, do you know when Jeruselem was destroyed by Babylonians and when Cyrus ruled in Medo-Persia and When the Bible book of Isiah was written and Completed?

I have many examples of bible prophecy that got fufilled hundreds of years after it was written. I know in a bid to discredit the truth you will start to argue that the only explanation would be that those bible passages must have been written hundreds of years after they were actually completed coz you just wont believe that it happened just as it was prophesied.
But guess what? it did coz the prophesies were inspired
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by nferyn(m): 5:53pm On Mar 21, 2007
sage:

Hey Nferyn

Why i said you should get acquinted with those dates is because those prophesies were made, written and completed in advance and hundreds of years before. I know you would want to discredit the bible even in the face of truth.
I'm really not planning to do anything like that, I'm not not even going to debate the time in which specific books of the Bible were written. What I am looking forward to is that you present some very specific examples of prophecies that can only be attributed to foresight. More specifically, those prophecies need to be precise enough for it to be impossible not to have been inspired.Either a very specific prediction or a clear pattern of less precise predictions that together establish a clear case of divine inspiration. When establishing that pattern though, those predictions cannot be isolated from all other predictions.

sage:

For example, do you know when Jeruselem was destroyed by Babylonians and when Cyrus ruled in Medo-Persia and When the Bible book of Isiah was written and Completed?
No I don't, but I could look it up

sage:

I have many examples of bible prophecy that got fufilled hundreds of years after it was written. I know in a bid to discredit the truth you will start to argue that the only explanation would be that those bible passages must have been written hundreds of years after they were actually completed because you just wont believe that it happened just as it was prophesied.
Again, that is not my intention, the specific dates are less relevant to me.

sage:

But guess what? it did because the prophesies were inspired
So you say. Can you bring your evidence to the table now?
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by Jehu: 8:30pm On Mar 21, 2007
@ Spoilt

Hey Friend, Research is revealing each day that the whole of Christianity may be a Sham.

A Real 2,000 year scam, created by the Roman Empire to rule the world.

The interesting thing is that the Bible even prophesied or foretold it. (The first horseman in the Four Horsemen of Apocalypse - i.e. Book of Revelations)

So Sister, take it easy with this religion stuff and let's see where it will all land.

God is real, Truth. But all these so-called workers in the vineyard need serious scrutiny o.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by drbelloim(m): 4:45pm On Mar 22, 2007
It is true that it is a sham, though this is but a difficult topic to speak about. in actual sense all these talks are about this being call "in the english translation" called Jesus.
Jesus is real he existed and lived for an appointred time and was taken up to heaven. he had some deciples that were to continue his message. now this is were the big question is,

What we have now as christianity (another purely English or British word) is what Jesus or the followers preached, because of the following
1. Jesus never met most of those that wrote the gospel we have today ( dont foeget that the Gospel according to Matthew was not written by the desciple Matthew, nor Mark by Mark and cetainly nor John by John. these writers accordingly in most cases never visite Jerusalem in all their lives.

2. there are so many instances were it was recorded thet Jesus went to so so place and he preached the gospel etc, in as much as he really did preached the gospel no one in actual sense has ever seen the gospel that he preached " the Gospel of Jesus" n any text form.

3. tha Bible as we have it today was NEVER seen by Jesus nor has he any approval for it, tha commandements of the old testament have been smashed by the famous "let him who is without sin cast the fast stone" statement, which in actual sense destroys his statement of " i came not to destroy the law but to fulfil"

4. now cames the creeds - , this was in the year 325 at the First Council of Nicaea, Alexandria etc, all meaning mixture of original practise with Idolatory, please refer - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicene_Creed

5. Church on sunday, no sabbath, differences in the number of books in catholic and protestan bibles ( which inevitably means one of them will go to hell according to the last verses of the book of Revelations for either adding (catholics) or reducing(protestants)

now comes the Jehova's witness, Ah.
there are so many things to say , think we will finissh it later.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by Backslider(m): 5:23pm On Mar 22, 2007
@drbelloim

Just make sure you will have the wikpedia that you are quoting today to present Before Jesus at the end of time. make sure you have GOOD DENIAL OF THE writing of Josephus, then make sure you DENY the rulers at that time like

1 PONTUS PILATE
2 NERO
3 FELIX
4 ALL THE CEASARS THAT EXISTED

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE FACTS TO DENY THIS RULERS.

People tend to want to block their minds from the coming Judgment from God.

May the peace of God that passeth all understanding Find you and your soul be converted.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Mar 22, 2007
drbelloim:

It is true that it is a sham, though this is but a difficult topic to speak about. in actual sense all these talks are about this being call "in the english translation" called Jesus.
Jesus is real he existed and lived for an appointred time and was taken up to heaven. he had some deciples that were to continue his message. now this is were the big question is,

What we have now as christianity (another purely English or British word) is what Jesus or the followers preached, because of the following
1. Jesus never met most of those that wrote the gospel we have today ( don't foeget that the Gospel according to Matthew was not written by the desciple Matthew, nor Mark by Mark and cetainly nor John by John. these writers accordingly in most cases never visite Jerusalem in all their lives.

2. there are so many instances were it was recorded thet Jesus went to so so place and he preached the gospel etc, in as much as he really did preached the gospel no one in actual sense has ever seen the gospel that he preached " the Gospel of Jesus" n any text form.

3. tha Bible as we have it today was NEVER seen by Jesus nor has he any approval for it, tha commandements of the old testament have been smashed by the famous "let him who is without sin cast the fast stone" statement, which in actual sense destroys his statement of " i came not to destroy the law but to fulfil"

4. now cames the creeds - , this was in the year 325 at the First Council of Nicaea, Alexandria etc, all meaning mixture of original practise with Idolatory, please refer - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicene_Creed

5. Church on sunday, no sabbath, differences in the number of books in catholic and protestan bibles ( which inevitably means one of them will go to hell according to the last verses of the book of Revelations for either adding (catholics) or reducing(protestants)

now comes the Jehova's witness, Ah.
there are so many things to say , think we will finissh it later.

Your explanation man is not professional!
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by Jehu: 8:00pm On Mar 22, 2007
@ nferyn

Hi my Guy,

I 've followed your discourse and I'm really thrilled.

You have some knowledge, though, but let's present some infallibility in Bible prophesy.

The Book of Daniel: Daniel was regarded as a prophet. Interestingly, he served in the court of Nebuchadnezzar, the Chaldean King. So other records can prove his existence.

In the book, the King dreamt and summoned all his wise men to not only tell him his dream but also interpret it. This, Daniel with the help of his God did.

The beauty of this whole episode is that the dream was revealed to Nebuchadnezzar as a prophecy of what was to come after him.

Though he saw a statue, but civilizations were revealed to him in the interpretations.
This prophecy is still being fulfilled to this very day.

Do you question this ?
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by drbelloim(m): 8:58pm On Mar 22, 2007
MrBackslider,
Indeed I actually need nothing to present before Jesus and I need not to have anything a such. On the contrary I have something to  present before God,  you  should  remember when Jesus (an English translation of his name)  or Christ (an english translation of his title)said- by the way I am sure if you call him Jesus or Christ today , he will not turn to you because these are not his names or titles, he never spoke English!

[center]Stop clinging to me; for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brethren (disciples), and say to them, 'I ascend to my Father and your Father, and my God and your God.'  (John 20: 17).[/center][i][/i]

There is not a single place in the biblical scripture, (a book that Jesus knows nothing about)  were it is stated that Jesus said "I am God, or where he said that his followers should follow him" - the famous 2 quotes viz 1. I and the father are one, and  2. if you have seen me you have seen the father" are  grossly mistranslated misquoted and misrepresented.

Nothing in the Gospels suggests anyone ever got angry about Jesus being addressed as Lord. but so do Lawyers call their Judges now, and as at that time the wifes called their husbands.

Remember also when Jesus said "why calls thou me GOOD? non is good save one, thats the father" and  when he said that "But even if I do judge, My judgment is true; for I am not alone in it, but I and the Father who sent Me"

The whole of the Bible hardly has up to 5-6 leaves full of the words of Jesus if combined all the other words then are what? Reason.

more so you will agree that Jesus has no much contribution to christianity as much as Saul or Paul did. this man concocted about 40-45% of all of the new testament, nad guess what Jesus did not anything about that.

peace.
Re: What If Christianity Was A Sham? by Backslider(m): 9:27am On Mar 23, 2007
@drbelliom

Just be Ready with your Books In thet Horrible day.

I perceive you are a Muslim I will stop here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mountain Top Life Daily Devotional: THE POWER OF CONFIDENCE / Supreme Vikings Confratanity ( S.v.c)aro-mate( Gyration ) / Words Of Wisdom From Lucifer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.