Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,042 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? (3314 Views)

History Of "August Meeting" Among Igbo Women In Southeast Nigeria / Why Igbos Outside The Southeast Deny Their Igboness / Black East: Introduction To The ‘first People’ Of Southeast Asia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by fero007: 5:30am On Apr 26, 2018
I grew up thinking 3 major tribes in Nigeria were the only tribes, then i would see a bini girl or a calabar boy and call them 'omo ibo' and since I didn't understand their language it all sounded ibo to me, until recently I learnt of the other tribes in the east, the ishan, ijaw, urhobo, ogoni, Ibibio,e.t.c like 20 of them, i even met one Amadi dat told me he is not Igbo, he is ikwere, n one guy, Okoro, told me he is urhobo nt igbo
And am like where are these people in this country, then i was made to know dat the likes of Osasu(Bini), Tari(Ijaw), Kevwe(Isoko) n Ekaite(Efik) are not Igbos as I thought.
But I've noticed that these people ve many likeness with Igbos, from the customs i hear them talk about, their dress, their dance, the way of cooking, many words in their language, the way they do things generally is more like Igbo, than Yoruba or Hausa.
What is the reason for this closeness?
Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by neonly: 7:46am On Apr 26, 2018
Wait let me ask Google's
Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by RedboneSmith(m): 10:33am On Apr 26, 2018
When I meet Nigerians who don't know there are more than 3 ethnic groups in Nigeria, I am like "Where the hell did you people go to school?!"

The primary school I went to was so bush we held classes under a gmelina tree (my school uniforms and books all had gmelina juice stains and smell like gmelina). Yet we were all taught about the other ethnic groups that make up Nigeria. Efik, Bini, Ijaw, Kanuri, Fulani, Ibibio, etc. We knew about them before we entered JS1. undecided

6 Likes

Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by Probz(m): 11:03am On Apr 26, 2018
fero007:

I grew up thinking 3 major tribes in Nigeria were the only tribes, then i would see a bini girl or a calabar boy and call them 'omo ibo' and since I didn't understand their language it all sounded ibo to me, until recently I learnt of the other tribes in the east, the ishan, ijaw, urhobo, ogoni, Ibibio,e.t.c like 20 of them, i even met one Amadi dat told me he is not Igbo, he is ikwere, n one guy, Okoro, told me he is urhobo nt igbo
And am like where are these people in this country, then i was made to know dat the likes of Osasu(Bini), Tari(Ijaw), Kevwe(Isoko) n Ekaite(Efik) are not Igbos as I thought.
But I've noticed that these people ve many likeness with Igbos, from the customs i hear them talk about, their dress, their dance, the way of cooking, many words in their language, the way they do things generally is more like Igbo, than Yoruba or Hausa.

Ikwerre’s Igbo and Eshan’s closer to Yoruba than Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by YourNemesis: 3:44pm On Apr 26, 2018
RedboneSmith:
When I meet Nigerians who don't know there are more than 3 ethnic groups in Nigeria, I am like "Where the hell did you people go to school?!"

The primary school I went to was so bush we held classes under a gmelina tree (my school uniforms and books all had gmelina juice stains and smell like gmelina). Yet we were all taught about the other ethnic groups that make up Nigeria. Efik, Bini, Ijaw, Kanuri, Fulani, Ibibio, etc. We knew about them before we entered JS1. undecided

Majority of Yorubas don't know the difference. loool
It is partly due to Insular nature of Yoruba culture, and partly educational and societal ignorance plaguing them. You hear schools in the SW saying, Nigeria has three major tribes, Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba and all othe tribes can be grouped under them.

A Benue friend once went to the SW, this guy was Agatu (part of Idomas).. everyone as like, ok you are Benue, so you are "Under Hausa" the look on the guy's face was like wtf! NO. Then they are like... Ok that means you are "under" Ibo because You are definitely not Yoruba.

loool
Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by bigfrancis21: 5:54pm On Apr 26, 2018
fero007:

It is a gradual realization of the real truth different from many things you've been taught growing up. There are many others you are yet to realize as well. Welcome to knowledge and truth

1 Like

Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by fero007: 1:30am On Apr 27, 2018
Its not my fault, in skul we were taught that all north is under Hausa, and all southeast and southsouth is under Igbo. But when you see the similarities, u can't blame us for confusing the SE and SS, after all I've not visited either, but why are they so alike
Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by RedboneSmith(m): 7:35am On Apr 27, 2018
YourNemesis:

Majority of Yorubas don't know the difference. loool
It is partly due to Insular nature of Yoruba culture, and partly educational and societal ignorance plaguing them. You hear schools in the SW saying, Nigeria has three major tribes, Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba and all othe tribes can be grouped under them.

A Benue friend once went to the SW, this guy was Agatu (part of Idomas).. everyone as like, ok you are Benue, so you are "Under Hausa" the look on the guy's face was like wtf! NO. Then they are like... Ok that means you are "under" Ibo because You are definitely not Yoruba.

loool

You have a point about this being largely a SW thing. Most of the people I have met who try to categorise everybody into one of the Big Three had a SW background.

There was this friend I knew from uni. He was Igbo, but was born and raised in Ogun State. We were discussing Nigerian musicians and he said Tuface was Igbo. I said Nooo, he is Idoma. The guy said, Ehen? If he is not Igbo, is he now Yoruba? I started talking about how everybody is not either Yoruba or Igbo, and the guy just gave me the middle finger...literally. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by Afam4eva(m): 4:12pm On Apr 27, 2018
RedboneSmith:

You have a point about this being largely a SW thing. Most of the people I have met who try to categorise everybody into one of the Big Three had a SW background.

There was this friend I knew from uni. He was Igbo, but was born and raised in Ogun State. We were discussing Nigerian musicians and he said Tuface was Igbo. I said Nooo, he is Idoma. The guy said, Ehen? If he is not Igbo, is he now Yoruba? I started talking about how everybody is not either Yoruba or Igbo, and the guy just gave me the middle finger...literally. grin
I think this ignorance is more in the south-west, maybe it's because that is where i live but it's a national phenomenon. The only reason a reasonable number of Igbos may seem informed is because they travel a lot but they can be as ignorant. That's why anybody from the middlebelt upwards can be termed "hausa". Even a Muslim Yoruba may not escape from the muslim tag.

@OP
To answer your question, it's imperative that the term south-south are artificial constructs and don't necessarily mean that they are the same people. While the SE is mostly made up of Igbos, a reasonable amount of the SS is also made of Igbos or atleast Igbo speaking people even though some of them wan to be known otherwise. Now, other parts of the south-south are made up of a lot of other groups including Ijaws, Efkik/Ibibio, Andoni, Bini, Ishan and so on.

1 Like

Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by edupedia: 2:58am On Apr 29, 2018
RedboneSmith:

.....keep making fools of your selves and masturbating through tribal jealousy...Shiorr

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by fero007: 5:38am On Apr 30, 2018
edupedia:

.....keep making fools of your selves and masturbating through tribal jealousy...Shiorr

must everything turn to fight in NL, we are all learning, and no one has helped answer my question
Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by RedboneSmith(m): 9:26am On Apr 30, 2018
edupedia:

You don't seem very okay, so I am just going to look the other way.

1 Like

Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by TSOM(m): 12:47pm On Apr 30, 2018
Afam4eva:

@OP
To answer your question, it's imperative that the term south-south are artificial constructs and don't necessarily mean that they are the same people. While the SE is mostly made up of Igbos, a reasonable amount of the SS is also made of Igbos or atleast Igbo speaking people even though some of them wan to be known otherwise. Now, other parts of the south-south are made up of a lot of other groups including Ijaws, Efkik/Ibibio, Andoni, Bini, Ishan and so on.

There's no such thing as Efik/Ibibio (Efik or Ibibio). They aren't interchangeable words one group.

Efiks and Ibibios have similar (almost too similar even) cultures, languages, names and the likes but they are different tribes.

Efiks are traditionally found in Calabar , Cross River State and its surroundings while Ibibios are indigenous to Akwa Ibom State. Ibibios are a larger tribe than the Efiks, Annangs and Orons put together, with the latter two being ethnic groups in Akwa Ibom State. smiley
Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by Afam4eva(m): 4:57pm On Apr 30, 2018
TSOM:

There's no such thing as Efik/Ibibio (Efik or Ibibio). They aren't interchangeable words one group.

Efiks and Ibibios have similar (almost too similar even) cultures, languages, names and the likes but they are different tribes.

Efiks are traditionally found in Calabar , Cross River State and its surroundings while Ibibios are indigenous to Akwa Ibom State. Ibibios are a larger tribe than the Efiks, Annangs and Orons put together, with the latter two being ethnic groups in Akwa Ibom State. smiley
I think you're teaching the wrong person. I'm aware of the differences between Efik, Ibibio, Annang and Oron but to me, they're the same people no matter how much they choose to balkanize themselves. Besides, i won't be the first person to use the Efik-ibibio nomenclature.

4 Likes

Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by TSOM(m): 5:34pm On Apr 30, 2018
Afam4eva:

I think you're teaching the wrong person. I'm aware of the differences between Efik, Ibibio, Annang and Oron but to me, they're the same people no matter how much they choose to balkanize themselves. Besides, i won't be the first person to use the Efik-ibibio nomenclature.
You are on this thread 'reprimanding' folks who think Nigerian tribes are basically Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba yet, still on the same thread, you are stubbornly insisting Ibibios and Efiks should be lumped into one tribe regardless of their differences?

You are supposedly 'enlightening' ignorant folks but you insist on staying ignorant even in the face of the enlightening facts I laid bare? The ironic hypocrisy of it all!

I'm Ibibio and you wouldn't override my history with your ignorance. That ignorant folks use Efik and Ibibio interchangeably doesn't negate the truth - it is wrong. What you think you know is inconsequential when matched with facts.

2 Likes

Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by Afam4eva(m): 5:52pm On Apr 30, 2018
TSOM:

You are on this thread 'reprimanding' folks who think Nigerian tribes are basically Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba yet, still on the same thread, you are stubbornly insisting Ibibios and Efiks should be lumped into one tribe regardless of their differences?

You are supposedly 'enlightening' ignorant folks but you insist on staying ignorant even in the face of the enlightening facts I laid bare? The ironic hypocrisy of it all!

I'm Ibibio and you wouldn't override my history with your ignorance. That ignorant folks use Efik and Ibibio interchangeably doesn't negate the truth - it is wrong. What you think you know is inconsequential when matched with facts.
I never said Efiks are Ibibios or vice-visa. I only lumped them together the same way Hausa-Fulani is lumped together even though Hausa and Fulani are no where as close as Efik-Ibibio. Before you make accusations, you may do yourself a lot of favour by putting things in perspective.

1 Like

Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by Nobody: 1:51pm On May 01, 2018
The time will come and now is, when BROTHERS will disregard minute differences and embrace the truth of their origins. I believe deeply that most tribes in the delta are just offshoots of ancient igbos. E.g my tribe (urhobo) seem to have many words and phrases shared with igbos. I have been doing alot of research of recent and I have been able to match over 30 words and phrases common to both tribes. It is very wrong to classify us(urhobo) as edoid when we are closer to igbos culturally. Some urhobo towns even kept record of their igbo ancestors. To me urhobos speak an igboid dialect with edoid accent. For example the urhobos call the heart "ubi udu" due to their edoid accent, in truth what they are trying to pronounce is the igbo phrase "obi ndu" translated "the seat of life" which is the heart. I wish dna testing can be done on this tribes to know who is who and end this self hate I see all around for if you hate your brother you hate yourself. The way igbos speak ill of urhobos is sickening and vice versa. The civil war messed everything up, distrust and hate is the order of the day. God help US.

4 Likes

Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by scholes0(m): 7:35pm On May 01, 2018
michaelkaroh:
The time will come and now is, when BROTHERS will disregard minute differences and embrace the truth of their origins. I believe deeply that most tribes in the delta are just offshoots of ancient igbos. E.g my tribe (urhobo) seem to have many words and phrases shared with igbos. I have been doing alot of research of recent and I have been able to match over 30 words and phrases common to both tribes. It is very wrong to classify us(urhobo) as edoid when we are closer to igbos culturally. Some urhobo towns even kept record of their igbo ancestors. To me urhobos speak an igboid dialect with edoid accent. For example the urhobos call the heart "ubi udu" due to their edoid accent, in truth what they are trying to pronounce is the igbo phrase "obi ndu" translated "the seat of life" which is the heart. I wish dna testing can be done on this tribes to know who is who and end this self hate I see all around for if you hate your brother you hate yourself. The way igbos speak ill of urhobos is sickening and vice versa. The civil war messed everything up, distrust and hate is the order of the day. God help US.

Chai, self hate is bad.
So Urhobo is Igboid now? Osanobla oghene!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by Nobody: 8:55pm On May 01, 2018
scholes0:

Chai, self hate is bad.
So Urhobo is Igboid now? Osanobla oghene!
How is it self hate to state the truth. Are you dismissing all I wrote without researching it. In the nearest future things will change for the better.
Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by scholes0(m): 10:14pm On May 01, 2018
michaelkaroh:
How is it self hate to state the truth. Are you dismissing all I wrote without researching it. In the nearest future things will change for the better.

You are funny.
So because urhobo and Igbo have some words that look alike was your reason?
Are you aware that even Yoruba and Igbo share tons of similar words and word cognates?

Your problem is self hate, because even a layman can see that Benins , Ishans, Isokos and Urhobos are all related more to themselves than they are to other tribes.

5 Likes

Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by Nobody: 11:00pm On May 01, 2018
scholes0:

You are funny.
Are you aware that even Yoruba and Igbo share tons of similar words and word cognates?

Your problem is self hate, because even a layman can see that Benins , Ishans, Isokos and Urhobos are all related more to themselves than they are to other tribes.
do you even know history. Go to the oba's palace and ask him why he never steps foot in urhobo land. Go and ask evwreni people and they will boldly tell you their ancestors were igbos. Learn history my friend, it will do you a lot of good.

1 Like

Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by scholes0(m): 11:26pm On May 01, 2018
michaelkaroh:
do you even know history. Go to the oba's palace and ask him why he never steps foot in urhobo land. Go and ask evwreni people and they will boldly tell you their ancestors were igbos. Learn history my friend, it will do you a lot of good.

ohh so the ancestors of Evwreni people are Igbos but they started speaking an edoid language and decided to start calling themselves evwreni.
Evwreni and igbide were not founded by Igbos in any way, the legend only makes mention of an Igbo hunter who came to settle among the people there.

Some people might have revised the folklore, but you haven just heard the actual version from me

1 Like

Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by fero007: 12:01am On May 02, 2018
scholes0:

You are funny.

To me the isokos and urhobos are less like Bini, etsako, ishan and more like itsekiri, ijaw and kwale

1 Like

Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by 1shortblackboy: 12:53am On May 02, 2018
Probz:

Ikwerre’s Igbo and Eshan’s closer to Yoruba than Igbo.
that one na ur opinion
Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by scholes0(m): 1:28am On May 02, 2018
fero007:

To me the isokos and urhobos are less like Bini, etsako, ishan and more like itsekiri, ijaw and kwale

Isokos yes maybe.
Urhobos.... well it depends on which area. They are culturally between Benin, Itsekiri and maybe ijawish.

Etsakos on the other hand aren't even benin-like.

1 Like

Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by Nobody: 1:52am On May 02, 2018
Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by Nobody: 2:44am On May 02, 2018
scholes0:

ohh so the ancestors of Evwreni people are Igbos but they started speaking an edoid language and decided to start calling themselves evwreni.
Evwreni and igbide were not founded by Igbos in any way, the legend only makes mention of an Igbo hunter who came to settle among the people there.

Some people might have revised the folklore, but you haven just heard the actual version from me
you just gave me the actual version as what exactly?, perhaps as the final authority on urhobo history...brother you're funny. To begin with, what is the basis for the classification of urhobo as edoid?, is it because of the similar accent?....if tomorrow urhobos start speaking with a french accent people like you would classify them as francophone or so. Can you tell me why urhobos were called "heebo" during the slave trade....why some ancient urhobo names are pure igbo like "okoro".....you say we share a lot with edos and I say we only share a bitter history with them and an accent due to forced association.

2 Likes

Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by YourNemesis: 5:06am On May 02, 2018
michaelkaroh:
you just gave me the actual version as what exactly?, perhaps as the final authority on urhobo history...brother you're funny. To begin with, what is the basis for the classification of urhobo as edoid?, is it because of the similar accent?....if tomorrow urhobos start speaking with a french accent people like you would classify them as francophone or so. Can you tell me why urhobos were called "heebo" during the slave trade....why some ancient urhobo names are pure igbo like "okoro".....you say we share a lot with edos and I say we only share a bitter history with them and an accent due to forced association.

cc: Fratermathy, Efewestern
Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by fero007: 8:13am On May 02, 2018
scholes0:

Isokos yes maybe.
Urhobos.... well it depends on which area. They are culturally between Benin, Itsekiri and maybe ijawish.

Etsakos on the other hand aren't even benin-like.

Well I don't know more than what am told. One of friend, umuokoro, an urhobo, told me that ancient urhobos were a distinct Edo group(like afemai n ishan mixed 2geda), who migrated through Aniocha area, interacting and intermarrying the Igbo people and absorbing their culture, before finally moving to their current home in Niger delta were they met the Ijaws, and also interacted with them to absorb their culture.

I guess that means I urhobos are partly Edo, partly Igbo and partly Ijaw, right?
Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by fratermathy(m): 9:04am On May 02, 2018
michaelkaroh:

Ignorance is a disease. Please try and cure yours. Urhobo is an Edoid language because Urhobo evolved from a Proto Edoid language, alongside Bini, Esan, Afemai, etc.

And no, Urhobos were never referred to as "heebo" at any point in time. Urhobos were known as Sobo and that was it! Prove me wrong with any accurate colonial or pre-colonial document.

Okoro is a complex of names that is present in many ethnicities in Nigeria including all Edoid languages. There is no proof that it is an Igbo word or that it was loaned from Igbo. Provide one if you have.

There are no ancient Urhobo names that are Igboid in nature. NONE! Share some of those names and I'll tell you their exact origin.

And yes, you are NOT an Urhobo! No Urhobo will deny the Edoid ancestry of Urhobo. NONE!

@op: I don't know about other groups but Urhobos share nothing with the South East! It's as simple as that.

2 Likes

Re: Southsouth- Southeast, Are They Related? by fratermathy(m): 9:07am On May 02, 2018
fero007:

Well I don't know more than what am told. One of friend, umuokoro, an urhobo, told me that ancient urhobos were a distinct Edo group(like afemai n ishan mixed 2geda), who migrated through Aniocha area, interacting and intermarrying the Igbo people and absorbing their culture, before finally moving to their current home in Niger delta were they met the Ijaws, and also interacted with them to absorb their culture.

I guess that means I rhinos are partly Edo, partly Igbo and partly Ijaw, right?

Urhobos did not migrate through ANIOCHA! Haba! Where do you guys get these revisitionist history from?

Urhobos are not Ijoid or Itsekiri as Scholes0 put it. Urhobos are Edoid. Pure and simple. Infact, it is Itsekiri that was influenced by Urhobo, not the other way around.

Ijaws have always been autochnous to the Niger Delta area and have been there before other groups. However, there are only marginal influences of Ijaw in the Western Niger Delta groups.

Historical revisionists should be warned. I'll take on you here.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Does Nigeria Have Honour Killings? / State Of Origin For A Married Woman. / The Yoruba Calender

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.