Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,348 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. (55950 Views)

50% Of Nigerians Seeking Asylum In Belgium Are From Edo, Lagos’ / How Desperate Nigerians Seeking Asylum, Usually Lie To America & Other Countries / Nigerian Illegal Immigrants Insisting On Trekking Into Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. by TheCongo2: 5:35am On May 02, 2018
12inches1:
You know that what they do is pass through the illegal routes. Get arrested then seek asylum in Canada. You cannot seek asylum if you entered the U. S or Canada legally. So basically they are using the U. S as an avenue to enter Canada illegally an seek asylum in Canada. Canada is also more lenient to asylum seekers. So it's a win win. I believe if your asylum request is granted then you can file for PR in Canada and get a job . I think it's Canada that should fix their loopholes but till then people will keep making use of such loopholes.

Yes you can claim asylum in the US or Canada if you enter those countries legally.

You can still get a job in Canada even when your asylum hasn't been granted. In fact soon as you apply for asylum, you can also apply for work permit
Re: Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. by TheCongo2: 5:48am On May 02, 2018
bettyLad:
seeing this post now I don't know what to think ,just two weeks ago hubby told me about getting Canada visit visa so we can move there and seek asylum, 4of his friends did it and are there with family now , we r crossed between starting our own house project or use the money for relocation , he said we ll seek asylum when we get to canada or process Us visa and cross through from new York, i don't know if to tell him what I just read cos he ll abort the plan oh, im in niger with the kids alone, hubby is in the UAE on a part time bizness, I really want to leave this country to better the lives of my kids . .nairalanders pls advice me, what do I do

Why don't you come to Canada via the Federal skilled program. It is better than claiming asylum in Canada.
If you come as a refugee claimant, you may not get the refugee status and they may ask you to leave the country after spending 5 years in Canada. Then you will return to Nigeria and find yourself back on square 1.

What your husband doesn't know is the status of his 4 friends in Canada. Gaining a refugee status isn't a piece of cake. It can be very challenging.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. by TheCongo2: 6:04am On May 02, 2018
bettyLad:

sent it to him, he said its for those going through the US and it's easy to get asylum when you go to Canada direct

grin grin grin ... this got me rolling on the floor. Completely untrue.
I am very well vexed with the refugee process in Canada.
Re: Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. by TheCongo2: 6:12am On May 02, 2018
bettyLad:

if we build the house , who ll stay in it considering the fact that we might never come back ? and the money is either for the house project or relocation project

Again, you can use that money to come to Canada through the right channels. Meaning, you apply for permanent residence from Nigeria.
The refugee route is a risky one. You may end up losing everything and find yourself back in Nigeria in 5 years with no place to stay.
Re: Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. by bettyLad(f): 10:49am On May 02, 2018
TheCongo2:

grin grin grin ... this got me rolling on the floor. Completely untrue.
I am very well vexed with the refugee process in Canada.

please tell me more , I will explain to my husband and refer him to this post , he is a nairalander too, I copied this post and sent to him but he claim its not for those going to Canada direct through visit visa and most people on nairalander don't ve experience and he got his info from people that left Nig through that means and are there
Re: Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. by maternal: 12:20pm On May 02, 2018
bettyLad:

please tell me more , I will explain to my husband and refer him to this post , he is a nairalander too, I copied this post and sent to him but he claim its not for those going to Canada direct through visit visa and most people on nairalander don't ve experience and he got his info from people that left Nig through that means and are there

Your husband is one of those know it all. So people who live in Canada, who are Canadian citizens, don't know anything about the process. But his illegal friends who are problem calling him from an immigration jail know everything. Refugee claims are processed the same way, regardless of how the person came to Canada. Giving a group of people who came through X vs another which came through X is illegal. That's discrimination. You have a blind man leading the household.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. by Tojued: 12:21pm On May 02, 2018
bettyLad:

Hanty, please visit this thread and read everything.

Nothing good comes easy. How can you say a tested and tried process is difficult, and prefer to play gbogbeta with your destiny? Note that more than half of all asylum cases from Nigeria are rejected.
Re: Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. by salford1: 3:00pm On May 02, 2018
bettyLad:

With the current backlog, it could take up to 10 years to process refugee claims and you would still likely be rejected. What would you and your husband be doing in 10 years as you won't be allowed to work? you better think about it well.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. by TheCongo2: 3:28pm On May 02, 2018
bettyLad:

same thing I told my husband , but u know the process is not an easy one, from the eligibility test , then the English language examination,

You think that the Federal Skill program isn't an easy process?
And who told you that claiming asylum is an easy process?

This is what happens when you claim asylum in Canada.
Your case will be referred to a refugee board for hearing.
You will be cross-examined by the refugee board members. The board members will ask you every possible questions in order to find any hole in your case. They will try to find any contradiction between your entire narration, your application, the evidence you submitted and Canada documentation on your home country.
Those boards members have expertise.
A lot of people with bogus cases are caught red handed during the cross-examination.
And also your demeanor before the board is also taken into account. The board members will be observant of whether your answers are flowing naturally or you are trying to think of what to say.
And this process can be extended through months. It is a torture that you can avoid if you go through the Federal Skill program.

In addition to that, even if the refugee board believes your story to be credible and also believes that you have been victim of persecution, they can still reject your case under the ground that it doesn't amount to or fit the definition of refugee under the UN convention.
Therefore, it very important to know the definition of refugee as defined per the UN convention before embarking and investing in this long journey.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. by bettyLad(f): 3:37pm On May 02, 2018
TheCongo2:

You think that the Federal Skill program isn't an easy process?
And who told you that claiming asylum is an easy process?

This is what happens when you claim asylum in Canada.
Your case will be referred to a refugee board for hearing.
You will be cross-examined by the refugee board members. The board members will ask you every possible questions in order to find any hole in your case. They will try to find any contradiction between your entire narration, your application, the evidence you submitted and Canada documentation on your home country.
Those boards members have expertise.
A lot of people with bogus cases are caught red handed during the cross-examination.
And also your demeanor before the board is also taken into account. The board members will be observant of whether your answers are flowing naturally or you are trying to think of what to say.
And this process can be extended through months. It is a torture that you can avoid if you go through the Federal Skill program.

In addition to that, even if the refugee board believes your story to be credible and also believes that you have been victim of persecution, they can still reject your case under the ground that it doesn't amount to or fit the definition of refugee under the UN convention.
Therefore, it very important to know the definition of refugee under the UN convention before embarking and investing in this long journey.

I repeat not all cases of persecution fit the definition of refugee under the UN convention.

thank you for this , God bless you, Indeed ignorance is bad , now I know better ,will explain to my hubby asap me I can't go through all this wahala oh . abegggggi
Re: Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. by SixSigma1(m): 4:47pm On May 02, 2018
TheCongo2:

Before September 11-2001, people who weren't Canadians or Americans needed visa to cross the US Canada borderline. US permanent residents never need a visa to come into Canada. But permanent residents of Canada always need visa to enter the US.
Back in the days the Citizens of the 2 countries didn't need a passport to cross the borderline. All that was needed was a proof of Citizenship like a birth certificate and a driver licence. But today, even a child need a passport to cross the borderline.

The statement above in bold is not correct. Before September 11-2001 and up to sometime after September 11-2001, permanent residents of Canada from certain countries (Nigeria inclusive) did not need a visa to enter the USA as visitor while PR from certain countries always needed visa. All we needed then was our Record of Landing (now called Certificate of Permanent Residence) and our country’s passports (eg Nigerian passport). There was even no PR Card then. I travelled to the USA with only my Record of Landing and Nigeria passport on several occasions before September 11-2001. USA visitor visa requirements for permanent residents of Canada from country like Nigeria was introduced only around 2002 or 2003. Permanent residents of Canada from countries like Iran always needed USA visa (both pre and post September 11- 2001) to enter the USA.
Re: Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. by Beautyaddy: 6:32pm On May 02, 2018
Re: Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. by TheCongo2: 7:38pm On May 02, 2018
SixSigma1:

The statement above in bold is not correct. Before September 11-2001 and up to sometime after September 11-2001, permanent residents of Canada from certain countries (Nigeria inclusive) did not need a visa to enter the USA as visitor while PR from certain countries always needed visa . All we needed then was our Record of Landing (now called Certificate of Permanent Residence) and our country’s passports (eg Nigerian passport). There was even no PR Card then. I travelled to the USA with only my Record of Landing and Nigeria passport on several occasions before September 11-2001. USA visitor visa requirements for permanent residents of Canada from country like Nigeria was introduced only around 2002 or 2003. Permanent residents of Canada from countries like Iran always needed USA visa (both pre and post September 11- 2001) to enter the USA.

Thanks SixSigma1. I never knew that permanents residents of Canada who are Citizens of some countries were exempted from visa requirement to enter the US before 2001. I thought that the visa requirement applied to anyone who wasn't Canadian Citizen..

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. by SixSigma1(m): 9:03pm On May 02, 2018
TheCongo2:

Thanks SixSigma1. I never knew that permanents residents of Canada who are Citizens of some countries were exempted from visa requirement to enter the US before 2001. I thought that the visa requirement applied to anyone who wasn't Canadian Citizen..

You are welcome @TheCongo2. We all learn new things everyday!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. by tosin4realx: 5:05pm On May 04, 2018
good day, am tosin by name, how can i process canada resident visa pls i need ur direction
Re: Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. by Kmartt(m): 2:55pm On May 16, 2018
Bhol28:
Its only God and with mercy that grants one this visa my bro,He will favour us.

Amen oooo

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. by Freshprince777: 1:01am On Oct 19, 2018
Pls seeking asylum through tourist visa is it faster or easier?
Re: Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. by AngelicBeing: 7:32am On Oct 19, 2018
Freshprince777:
Pls seeking asylum through tourist visa is it faster or easier?
If you don't have sufficient documented proofs from anywhere in the world to show to the refugee board that your life is in danger in your country of origin, forget about applying for asylum in Canada because, proof like your name and pictures in the newspaper showing that your life is in danger or you are from a war ravaged country like Somali, Yemen, Syria and Afghanistan etc, other than that, any other kakanmi stories you say to them on arrival is useless to them.

Aduro / asylum don cast for Nigerians because it has been abused, lastly, asylum whether via student visa or tourist visa as a Nigerian is a complete waste of time, they will listen to your stories, detain you, process your asylum case, refuse and flog you back to the shithole jungle shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

"Help Me Buy Food Too"- Lady Tells Her Bolt Driver (pictures) / Drunk Nigerian Guy & His Girlfriend In Malaysia Found Dead (Photos) / My Aunty Saw 2 Hidden Passports Inside Slippers (Video, Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.