Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,295 members, 7,815,511 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:45 PM

BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary (43043 Views)

Drug Abuse: Slaymama Poses With Bottles Of Codeine Syrup And Milk. / Secrets Of Nigeria’s Illicit Codeine Trade Revealed - BBC Investigation / "Student Dies After Taking Alcohol, Codeine, Tramadol & Marijuana" - Man Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by micgray100(m): 4:33pm On May 01, 2018
Naija...
Which way?
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by KhaleesiAdaz(f): 4:34pm On May 01, 2018
nagoma:

Emzor, is and Igbo Christian company capitalizing on the exploitation of human health and social well being. The company is owned by a well trained health professional who knows that every medicine can be a dangerous drug. But these evil persons are happy to sell a “ a million cartons”of codeine syrup in one week. What is the difference between them and the criminals dealing in crack cocaine? They are firing one man for revealing there secret . That’s nothing , Emzor have to be prosecuted.
Prosecuted for what exactly? Why not talk about the root cause of the abuse instead of yarning dust

5 Likes

Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by Saladin25(m): 4:34pm On May 01, 2018
They won't learn at all. Some people use their money to buy destruction. Cough syrups that are cheap to buy the prices skyrocket because of drug addicts.
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by PrincessB1(f): 4:35pm On May 01, 2018
Mariangeles:
I still don't get how a cough syrup gets people "high"... undecided
Can someone please explain...?
They mix codeine with other substance like alcohol, cocaine, cannabis, diazepam even sprite just to get high

1 Like

Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by Baroba(m): 4:36pm On May 01, 2018
Kai Naija, we still chain Mental Health patients with metal chains, these folks need anti psychotic medications and proper rehab, they will end up worse been chained to a tree and in isolation..
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by kay5you: 4:36pm On May 01, 2018
Channels, TVC can’t do undercover journalism

BBC doing this for us.

6 Likes

Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by thatigboman: 4:49pm On May 01, 2018
Mariangeles:
I still don't get how a cough syrup gets people "high"... undecided
Can someone please explain...?
same thing i asked when i heard this
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by thatigboman: 4:50pm On May 01, 2018
Vessi:
please help.

is it the normal cough syrup that is thick/viscous and that I use to drink when I was a boy or child?
yes. Cough syrup. The abuse is rampant in the north
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by jy2kbeyond(m): 4:56pm On May 01, 2018
pocohantas:
When I take cough syrup, I feel dizzy.
How come this people get high when they take theirs.

Is there something I don't know?
Or they take larger dosage?

Thanks dear. That's my concern too. I'm highly prone to cough and catarrh and I take syrups which makes me sleep soundly. How does it get these people high and hyperactive? undecided undecided
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by thatigboman: 4:59pm On May 01, 2018
nagoma:

Emzor, is and Igbo Christian company capitalizing on the exploitation of human health and social well being. The company is owned by a well trained health professional who knows that every medicine can be a dangerous drug. But these evil persons are happy to sell a “ a million cartons”of codeine syrup in one week. What is the difference between them and the criminals dealing in crack cocaine? They are firing one man for revealing there secret . That’s nothing , Emzor have to be prosecuted.
emzor has to be prosecuted for what? For being a pharmaceutical company manufacturing cough syrup?

3 Likes

Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by thatigboman: 5:01pm On May 01, 2018
KhaleesiAdaz:

Prosecuted for what exactly? Why not talk about the root cause of the abuse instead of yarning dust
dont mind that guy.

1 Like

Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by wtfcoded: 5:03pm On May 01, 2018
It's more like a sachet water to the northerners.
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by Readonee35L(m): 5:10pm On May 01, 2018
nagoma:

80% consumption is in the North and 90% of the evil people selling the drugs in those quantities are from your region. Firing one man is not enough, Emzor have to be prosecuted. They are not different from any crack dealer. NDLEA has to come in. We expects arrrests to be made based on this documentary.
Theres many temptation in this world . if you do not have self control over something because someone is offering it you do not deserve to be human.
There will always be bad eggs and people who do bad things or sell bad things.
Nobody is forcing anything down anybodies throat.
People buy it with their money willingly.

Controlling the sale is only a minor control. A drug addict will still look for a way. Dont forget its in this same north. They Inhale Gum Solutions and Patch for tyres. Would you as well say gums should not be sold anymore?

1 Like

Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by Tundeobama(m): 5:18pm On May 01, 2018
theenchanter:
Some buffoons don't know that d useless Sharia law is d major cause of codeine epidemic in this country, when beer n alcoholic drinks are haram, what would folks take to ginger their swagger?? Check everywhere there's codeine abuse and it's mostly Muslim communities.

Nonsense.
You are right bro the market is largely in the North because in South Alch is permitted,codeine is so harmful because it's a drug to cure a particular ailments not to be use over and over.The northern youth abusing this are among boko haram and heardsmen
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by Slimcase: 5:31pm On May 01, 2018
nairavsdollars:
Ban codeine, they will look for another science student. Useless beings

Your Papa na him be useless being
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by Pacesetter123(m): 5:34pm On May 01, 2018
mfm04622:

Codeine is similar to cocaine. They both give "high" and are both addictive. So people buy the cough syrup with codeine to get high
[color=#000099][/color] U mean dat de cough syrup i av bin taking rite frm infant,now come with codeine?Or it used to always come with it rite frm dat tym bt we didn't knw only to be told by BBC Africa now?Ayam not understanding at all............
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by authority2006(m): 5:48pm On May 01, 2018
theenchanter:
Some buffoons don't know that d useless Sharia law is d major cause of codeine epidemic in this country, when beer n alcoholic drinks are haram, what would folks take to ginger their swagger?? Check everywhere there's codeine abuse and it's mostly Muslim communities.

Nonsense.

And your Sharia is also the reason why drug abuse and addiction is rampant in non Islamic countries? Anything to run down Islam goes.
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by ifeanyi83(m): 6:15pm On May 01, 2018
My heart bled watching this video. The abuse of this drug is not restricted to the North alone. Though I hear it's very common, one begins to wonder why it's so cheap and accessible.
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by Nobody: 6:25pm On May 01, 2018
pocohantas:

That was you on the borderline, little more and you're fully wasted
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by SAMBARRY: 6:29pm On May 01, 2018
Smh
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by nagoma(m): 6:37pm On May 01, 2018
Readonee35L:

Theres many temptation in this world . if you do not have self control over something because someone is offering it you do not deserve to be human.
There will always be bad eggs and people who do bad things or sell bad things.
Nobody is forcing anything down anybodies throat.
People buy it with their money willingly.
Controlling the sale is only a minor control. A drug addict will still look for a way. Dont forget its in this same north. They Inhale Gum Solutions and Patch for tyres. Would you as well say gums should not be sold anymore?

Typical response of criminal drug sellers. Given the chance you will sell cocaine to young children and acid in whatever quantities. Of course the drug addicts are also at fault but the drug pushers such as Emzor have to take a proportion of the blame as well.

1 Like

Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by nagoma(m): 6:41pm On May 01, 2018
KhaleesiAdaz:

Root cause of abuse is very important. But drug pushers like Emzor cannot be absolved of blame as well.in the US and other countries Drug pushers are given longer prison sentences than individual drug users.

1 Like

Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by Headmaster055(m): 7:08pm On May 01, 2018
Now getting cough syrup will now warrant getting a doctor prescription..... say NO TO DRUG.
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by AkpaMgbor(m): 7:13pm On May 01, 2018
nagoma:

Root cause of abuse is very important. But drug pushers like Emzor cannot be absolved of blame as well.in the US and other countries Drug pushers are given longer prison sentences than individual drug users.
The people in USA have the intelligence and common sense not to abuse a medication used to cure common cough unlike those in northern Nigeria..
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by Nobody: 7:17pm On May 01, 2018
pocohantas:

I drink a Boost for breakfast, an Ensure for dessert
Somebody ordered pancakes, I just sip the sizzurp
That right there could drive a sane man berserk

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Purple_drank
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by Nobody: 7:18pm On May 01, 2018
AkpaMgbor:

The people in USA have the intelligence and common sense not to abuse a medication used to cure common cough unlike those in northern Nigeria..

go and read up on the opoid crisis and stop spamming us with your ignorance
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by AkpaMgbor(m): 7:22pm On May 01, 2018
oyb:

go and read up on the opoid crisis and stop spamming us with your ignorance
The ‘crisis’ is in the northern part of Nigeria..I was using codeine and bennylin expectorant since my secondary school days to cure coughs..I had the common sense not abuse an ordinary cough syrup..you are the ignorant here.
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by Nobody: 7:28pm On May 01, 2018
AkpaMgbor:

The ‘crisis’ is in the northern part of Nigeria..I was using codeine and bennylin expectorant since my secondary school days to cure coughs..I had the common sense not abuse an ordinary cough syrup..you are the ignorant here.

lazy nigerian youth tongue

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Opioid_epidemic

The opioid epidemic or opioid crisis is the rapid increase in the use of prescription and non-prescription opioid drugs in the United States and Canada beginning in the late 1990s and continuing throughout the first two decades of the 2000s. Opioids are a diverse class of moderately strong painkillers, including oxycodone (commonly sold under the trade names OxyContin and Percocet), hydrocodone (Vicodin), and a very strong painkiller, fentanyl, which is synthesized to resemble other opiates such as opium-derived morphine and heroin.

The potency and availability of these substances, despite their high risk of addiction and overdose, have made them popular both as formal medical treatments and as recreational drugs. Due to their sedative effects on the part of the brain which regulates breathing, the respiratory center of the medulla oblongata, opioids in high doses present the potential for respiratory depression, and may cause respiratory failure and death.[2]

According to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, "overdose deaths, particularly from prescription drugs and heroin, have reached epidemic levels."[3]:iii Nearly half of all opioid overdose deaths in 2016 involved prescription opioids.[1] From 1999 to 2008, overdose death rates, sales, and substance abuse treatment admissions related to opioid pain relievers all increased substantially.[4] By 2015, there were more than 50,000 annual deaths from drug overdose, causing more deaths than either car accidents or guns.[5]

sadly all you probably read up on is bbn and davido. you have no idea what is going on i the rest of the world with the abuse of prescription drugs

abuse of coedine actually started in the us - google sizzurp
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by geunik(m): 7:56pm On May 01, 2018
thaoriginator:
wtf nigga! Stop it already! You are discouraging me on my codeine diet.. It's only says "causes drowsiness", all these nonsense you listed up there is what?! Come on man, that video is full of bloodclaat lies enuh. Shey na codeine make dem tie that dude to a tree? Abi na codeine make dem chain those dudes with heavy chains... Fuckerrrrs! Drink Tuxil C niggas, mix it up though with hollandia milk and a very chill water.. Get your Arizona, Molly kush or loud.. Don't thank me niggas, what are friends for..
it causes dizziness when taken at the right doses but give a euphoria feeling when consumed in excess like more that the norm
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by gentlezypher: 8:02pm On May 01, 2018
codeine+sprite =royal highness

2 Likes

Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by BetaThings: 8:03pm On May 01, 2018
theenchanter:
Some buffoons don't know that d useless Sharia law is d major cause of codeine epidemic in this country, when beer n alcoholic drinks are haram, what would folks take to ginger their swagger?? .

That is not true
Are the audience of Olamide's Science Student under Sharia
Is drug addiction only present in the North?
And can you not get drunk at Sabon gari?

theenchanter:
Check everywhere there's codeine abuse and it's mostly Muslim communities.

This documentary was shot in Lagos
Is Lagos a Muslim community
And listen to the accent of the people - they are from the South

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG9QfEA1yfg
Re: BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary by Nobody: 10:20pm On May 01, 2018
Please can i PM you?
pocohantas:

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

LASTMA Attack: Female Tricycle Operator Battles For Life (Photo) / 8 Powerful Fruits For Better Living / In Which Hospital Can I Check For GENOTYPE Of Unborn Child Here In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.