Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,890 members, 7,817,617 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:38 PM

Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves (22608 Views)

11 Million "Poor And Vulnerable" List. Zamfara Leads, South-East Lowest / Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens / Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Hit $47 Billion - Surpass That Of South Africa by $4b (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by bejeria101(m): 10:06am On May 09, 2018
With nothing to show and a dullard relic at the helm of affairs. Adewunmi adeshina said you cant eat gdp and foreign reserves.
Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by lexy2014: 10:08am On May 09, 2018
SoNature:
Even though I am not a Buhari's fan, I must give him some credit for increasing our foreign reserves.

More foreign reserves attract Foreign Direct Investment

Well done, Bubu
were in d world did u get that?
Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by Chukazu: 10:08am On May 09, 2018
What nonsense foreign reserve? Nobody talking about infrastructural development?
Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by GavelSlam: 10:09am On May 09, 2018
TheAngry1:

There is, but it is not simultaneous. As it stands now, until the projects are completed, we can't really go to the bank to cash the cheques. Unfortunately, we have a sad history of unfinished projects.

Well work is going on.

The economy is always an unfinished business but positive strides are being made.

Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by Nobody: 10:10am On May 09, 2018
aribisala0:

Who is the "YOU" in thhis your sentence that has the money that everyone wants to do business with?

Can you be more specific?

Foreign reserves are not like having money in the bank.

It is absolutely nothing of the sort

Foreign reserves of a Central Bank

and

Savings of a government are unrelated

It is clear to me when I join such threads and read such comments that MOST PEOPLE have no clue what foreign reserves are and probably will do well not to discuss them.

Th US has less reserves than Russia ,Brazil Hong Kong or Singapore that does not mean people want to do business more with any of those countries

I'm talking about the government and foreign direct investments

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by Harrynight(m): 10:12am On May 09, 2018
Its now obvious nothing will ever dropped the exchange rate
Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by MrBONE2(m): 10:13am On May 09, 2018
TheAngry1:
And South Africa leads Nigeria in infrastructure and human capital development. The way we celebrate meaningless awards and titles in this country ehn! That was how one otondo President and his Zuwo Finance Minister re-calibrated and said we were Africa's biggest economy, while they were busy looting the treasury. undecided undecidedMscheeewwww!

grin
Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by Nobody: 10:14am On May 09, 2018
cosmatika:
I just read that our exchange rate has been stabilized; U mean at $1=#360? Nawao.
Moreover, economists in the house should help me explain how this foreign reserve affects the life of a common man who still buys things very costly

Well, to my own best of knowledge..
It dosnen't affect a comman man directly. There are some economic policies that will only come to affect a common man in the long run, example is that of diversification of economy (agriculture) which buhari has really played well in this part. With time, food and livestock will become lesser etc. Now about the foreign reserves, as explained above Foreign reserve are held against external debt. If a nation at least to some extent can finance its debt, less amount will be dedicated to debt financing in the budget this means there will more funds allocation to human capital development, man power, health, security and moreso it will help against the high exchange rate.

Sincerely speaking, no doubt PMB is a dullard no argument but he has some capable people under him that has helped this nation alot, esp Kemi adeosun the finance minister, this woman has really tried as pertaining to Economy. Nigeria economy is getting better. Only that bubu is dull and weak. He has only failed woefully security wise and I want to tell you the opponents are under this killings. God bless Nigeria.
Thank you.
Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by Nobody: 10:15am On May 09, 2018
SalamRushdie:

From your dataSouth Africa even has more foreign reserve

Note from the data given that the last time the reserve was measured for South Africa was December 2017. However, the fact is that the US still has much larger reserves than Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by aribisala0(m): 10:16am On May 09, 2018
Bolowolowo:

False. US currently has a larger foreign reserve.
It is better not to join issue on things which you are not well informed of .

Just going to Wikipedia to copy and paste a list which you do not understand is half the job.

This thread is about Nigeria having larger foreign reserves than South Africa but the list you pasted shows the oposite do you know why?

Foreign reserves are measured in several different ways

They could include

1. Gold
2. Strategic Drawing Rights or SDR with the IMF
and or

3. Actual foreign currency account balances which is what I believe the the CBN in Nigeria holds and tends to publish

our CBN does not hold gold

So in making a comparison be clear that you are comparing like with llike

My question to you is a simple one

In currency reserves excluding gold and IMF SDRs

what currency does the US Treasury hold as foreign reserve and how much exactly is it?

To the best of my knowledge the bulk currency is in Euros and it is about the equivalent of 35 billion USD
Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by cosmatika(m): 10:19am On May 09, 2018
beekayz:

Well, to my own best of knowledge..
It dosnen't affect a comman man directly. There are some economic policies that will only come to affect a common man in the long run, example is that of diversification of economy (agriculture) which buhari has really played well in this part. With time, food and livestock will become lesser etc. Now about the foreign reserves, as explained above Foreign reserve are held against external debt. If a nation at least to some extent can finance its debt, less amount will be dedicated to debt financing in the budget this means there will more funds allocation to human capital development, man power, health, security and moreso it will help against the high exchange rate.

Sincerely speaking, no doubt PMB is a dullard no argument but he has some capable people under him that has helped this nation alot, esp Kemi adeosun the finance minister, this woman has really tried as pertaining to Economy. Nigeria economy is getting better. Only that bubu is dull and weak. He has only failed woefully security wise and I want to tell you the opponents are under this killings. God bless Nigeria.
Thank you.
How will farmers enjoy wen d dullard just went and signed with the US to be flooding our market with agricultural products from dere
Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by aribisala0(m): 10:20am On May 09, 2018
PUSH1:

I'm talking about the government and foreign direct investments

The government DOES NOT own the foreign reserves...........

If you look at the countries with the largest reserves the US and the EU are not in the top 10 . FDI is not about reserves.
Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by erico2k2(m): 10:22am On May 09, 2018
georgecso:
Sai Bubu till 2023
Foreign Exchange Reserves are assets held by a central government or other monetary authority, usually in various reserve currencies. ... The main purpose of holding foreign exchange reserves is to make international payments and hedge against exchange rate risks.
plz Oga, what is your exchange rate as at today plz compared to that of sa?
Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by Oduwils222(m): 10:22am On May 09, 2018
All this statistical grammer means nothing to the poor masses who buys common razor blade of #10 at #50. Mtcheeew
Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by erico2k2(m): 10:23am On May 09, 2018
aribisala0:

Just going to Wikipedia to copy and paste a list which you do not understand is half the job.

This thread is about Nigeria having larger foreign reserves than South Africa but the list you pasted shows the oposite do you know why?

They could include

1. Gold
and or

3. Actual foreign currency account balances which is what I believe the the CBN in Nigeria holds and tends to publish

what currency does the US Treasury hold as foreign reserve and how much exactly is it?

To the best of my knowledge the bulk currency is in Euros and it is about the equivalent of 35 billion USD

U get time.
Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by mars123(m): 10:23am On May 09, 2018
aribisala0:
I am sure you have no clue what foreign reserves are .
FYI Nigeria has more foreign reserves that the US .

So what?
The importance of having a buffed up foreign reserve is just like having dollars (not naira) in your personal savings account. Buhari deserve some accolades for raising that amount from USD 20 billion to what it is now. If Buhari is man enough to keep growing that money and not share it like the previous government, then the next president will have an easy task of managing the economy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by waveman2: 10:23am On May 09, 2018
Don, t be a ignoramos. The foriegn exchange is on a fixed rate determined by the cbn,have u ever wondered why our exchange rate doesn't, come down as a result of increase in foreign reserve or increase of export and less import. Please try to read more

somehow:
I bet most of the previous commenters have no clue on what they just read if they ever read it in the first place.

At least with this, we wouldn't see any sudden naira fall.
Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by rusher14: 10:24am On May 09, 2018
aribisala0:

They could include

1. Gold
and or

Without a source you are speaking poo.

The simple fact that you cannot relate FR with the stability of a currency especially for a developing nation shows you are either ignorant (which I doubt) or wilfully evil -which is more likely.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by Dollyak(f): 10:25am On May 09, 2018
aribisala0:
Foreign reseerves attrct FDI

How exactly does that work?
High Foreign exchange reserves (FER) is really important for the developing countries. Because investors in developed countries like UK/USA etc. often require developing countries to provide high-value U.S. financial instruments as collateral to ensure the safety of their investments. That's one of the reasons Nigeria tries to export to U.S. and other western countries so as to accumulate large reserves, with which they can buy western countries financial assets (such as bonds).

It's not the end all and be all tbh, but it does help.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by Nobody: 10:26am On May 09, 2018
bejeria101:
With nothing to show and a dullard relic at the helm of affairs. Adewunmi adeshina said you cant eat gdp and foreign reserves.

You want them to share the money. Hahaha. The president is not going the only dullard we have in the country. You are one of them.
Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by SoNature(m): 10:27am On May 09, 2018
lexy2014:
were in d world did u get that?

Today na lecture day grin

Good question. I had a financial czar explain that to me once.

Many Nigerian banks don't ask Dangote and Otedola for collaterals when these men ask for loans. As a matter of fact, banks beg them to finance their projects because of the networth of these men. Yes, they are rich men.

The same applies to a country. If Nigeria has huge amount in foreign reserves and Buhari holds a business meeting with US businessmen, for instance, he will use that as a selling point.

The reason is that having a huge foreign reserves pass the message that your country is so rich, though this may be untrue, to tax businesses unnecessarily just to survive. Yes, that's the reason.

Huge foreign reserves send a very good signal to foreign investors because nobody likes to be taxed senselessly

I hope you understand now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by Nobody: 10:29am On May 09, 2018
aribisala0:

The government DOES NOT own the foreign reserves...........

If you look at the countries with the largest reserves the US and the EU are not in the top 10 . FDI is not about reserves.

Who owns it? You cannot compare a developed country with a developing country.
Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by emmygzy(m): 10:29am On May 09, 2018
Bolowolowo:

Note from the data given that the last time the reserve was measured for South Africa was December 2017. However, the fact is that the US still has much larger reserves than Nigeria.

APC propaganda. Nigeria has more foreign reserve than Southafrica and their currency has more value, they better infrastructure, they generate 50,000;megawatts of electricity while the 7,000 APC claim to be generating, they can't even distribute it. Nigeria has the highest poverty and unemployment rate in Africa. Country that have crude oil and will take that crude oil abroad to go and refine it and bring it back again. Useless country with useless leaders and gullible citizens.
Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by aribisala0(m): 10:29am On May 09, 2018
Dollyak:

High Foreign exchange reserves (FER) is really important for the developing countries. Because investors in developed countries like UK/USA etc. often require developing countries to provide high-value U.S. financial instruments as collateral to ensure the safety of their investments. That's one of the reasons Nigeria tries to export to U.S. and other western countries so as to accumulate large reserves, with which they can buy western countries financial assets (such as bonds).

Can you give me one example of an investment just one, where Foreign reserves have been pledged as securty to ensure investment security? ANYWHERE in the world

Seriously.... You do not know what you are talking about and you are talking to someone who can see through your bluster.

Guy you are talking jazz
Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by aribisala0(m): 10:30am On May 09, 2018
PUSH1:

Who owns it? You cannot compare a developed country with a developing country.
Let us end this conversation. You haven't a clue
Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by Nobody: 10:32am On May 09, 2018
emmygzy:
APC propaganda. Nigeria has more foreign reserve than Southafrica and their currency has more value, they better infrastructure, they generate 50,000;megawatts of electricity while the 7,000 APC claim to be generating, they can't even distribute it. Nigeria has the highest poverty and unemployment rate in Africa. Country that have crude oil and will take that crude oil abroad to go and refine it and bring it back again. Useless country with useless leaders and gullible citizens.

You are not different from your president if you said this trash.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by Nobody: 10:32am On May 09, 2018
aribisala0:

They could include

1. Gold
and or

The OP stated the US has a larger forex than Nigeria, which I clearly refuted with the data that I showed (the data took gold into account, by default). Perhaps OP should’ve been clearer about with measure of FOREX they were using with regard to that statement.

1 Like

emmygzy:

You are not different from your president if you said this trash.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by rusher14: 10:33am On May 09, 2018
waveman2:

Don, t be a ignoramos. The foriegn exchange is on a fixed rate determined by the cbn,have u ever wondered why our exchange rate doesn't, come down as a result of increase in foreign reserve or increase of export and less import. Please try to read more

It is not a fixed rate.

It is backed by economic strength on the basis of cash at hand or perceived economic activity.

One way a third world economy can underline its readiness for business is by its reserves which indemnifies its liabilities.

It prevents investors from being spooked should an unforseen event occur - such as a rapid drop in price of a commodity for a monoeconomy.

Fiurther reading:
https://www.thebalance.com/foreign-exchange-reserves-3306258
Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by Nobody: 10:34am On May 09, 2018
aribisala0:
Let us end this conversation. You haven't a clue

Talk na oversabi

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by dadavivo: 10:35am On May 09, 2018
maestroferddi:
Propaganda not taking APC anywhere...

How much has been borrowed by this government before we start talking about foreign reserves?
honestly the thing tire me, you borrow money put for your bank details brag see you get money.
Re: Nigeria Leads South Africa In Foreign Reserves by aribisala0(m): 10:37am On May 09, 2018
mars123:
The importance of having a buffed up foreign reserve is just like having dollars (not naira) in your personal savings account. Buhari deserve some accolades for raising that amount from USD 20 billion to what it is now. If Buhari is man enough to keep growing that money and not share it like the previous government, then the next president will have an easy task of managing the economy.
But they already spent the dollars when the CBN monetized it and gave them the Naira for it. That Naira ( which they have now spent) is now a CBN debt. The naira is now in circulation and the dollars belong to the person holding the Naira not the government anymore.

Your logic is the eat your cake and have it logic. The CBN is not the government.

Goverment sells oil and receives dollars. OK

They sell the dollars to the CBN and receive Naira which they spend.

You are telling us that the Dollars with the CBN STILL BELONGS to the govrnment?

It is like government still having dollars in government account?

No the dollars becomes a CBN asset which shall eventually be used to mop up its debt(naira)

Foreign reserves belong proportionately to Naira holders not the government

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Kaduna: Four Injured As Suspected Thugs Attack LP Campaign Convoy / Buhari Did Not Visit Chibok - GMB Campaign Office / ''Tolu Ogunlesi Wrote "The Economist" Article Calling GEJ ineffectual Buffoon''

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.