Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,423 members, 7,812,243 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:37 AM

Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens (15747 Views)

Lagos Commences Distribution Of Palliatives To Citizens / Terror Alert: Canada, UK, Australia, Ireland Issue Security Advisory To Citizens / Governor Hope Uzodinma Restores Public Water Supply In Imo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by Blue3k2: 3:23pm On Mar 12, 2020
Sylvanus Viashima, Jalingo

After ranking as the number one country in open defecation, Nigeria again ranks as the poorest in the provision of potable water supply to its citizens.

The Managing Director of Taraba Water and Sewerage Corporation (TAWASCO) Mr Buba Siam, disclosed this at a Knowledge Cafe (Mu-Gana) quarterly meeting between TAWASCO, E-WASH and CSOs involved in the E-WASH projects in the state.

Siam said that despite efforts by the Corporation to ensure adequate water supply to citizens of the state, a lack of adequate funding has continued to militate against achieving the objective.

He regretted that despite abundant water resources, Nigerians still do not have potable water due largely to government negligence and a lack of political will.

“It is so sad that we live in an environment that is suffering serious degradation due to human activities,” Siam said.

“Sanitation has become a global issue of serious concern. Regrettably, despite abundant water resources, most Nigerians still do not have potable water on their tables.

“Nigeria is ranked poorest in terms of water supply to her citizens in the whole of Africa.

“In Taraba State, despite our conscious efforts, we have not been able to meet the water demands of our customers.

“Water supply and sanitation are capital intensive and without adequate funding, there is little the utility companies can do,” he said.

Civil society organisations who spoke at the meeting noted that there are still a lot of households in the state capital that are not yet connected to water supply channels and regretted the preference for open defecation by most people especially in the rural areas and the lack of toilet facilities in public spaces.

The Taraba State Government recently signed into law a bill that has made the state’s water agency a full corporation for better service delivery and profitability.

Source: https://www.sunnewsonline.com/nigeria-leads-africa-in-poor-water-supply-to-citizens/amp/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by Nobody: 3:26pm On Mar 12, 2020
Nigerians need to start travelling more to other African countries. They will come back feeling very different about Nigeria.

76 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by Blue3k2: 3:31pm On Mar 12, 2020
obowo69:
Nigerians need to start travelling more to other African countries. They will come back feeling very different about Nigeria.

The issue with alot of Nigerians is they dont even demand better services from their state utilities. These state utilities dont even cover a whole local government. Then you'll see alot states opt for projects like airports, stadiums, churches etc before thinking of can we expand water supply.

72 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by Lawgod247: 3:37pm On Mar 12, 2020
Ok
Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by Blue3k2: 3:57pm On Mar 12, 2020
Even if look at megacities like lagos the public water utilities are garbage. It's crazy how states dont address basic like water to generate IGR they crave. It would improve residents health and save them money.

The Taraba State Government recently signed into law a bill that has made the state’s water agency a full corporation for better service delivery and profitability.

Hopefully they start adopting smarter business practices. The were complaing customers weren't paying bills yet still supplying them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVS0I0H-Ybo

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by NaijadrivaCars: 4:11pm On Mar 12, 2020

Nigeria seems to be the capital of almost every indicator of very poor governance. Is it health, education, etc

Continue voting for bad leaders and keep getting the same results.

49 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by Abboki: 4:12pm On Mar 12, 2020
shocked
Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by Richdad50(m): 4:12pm On Mar 12, 2020
shocked
Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by awa(m): 4:12pm On Mar 12, 2020
Bubu is still borrowing

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by Nobody: 4:12pm On Mar 12, 2020
My undergraduate project was on quality of water supply in Southwest Nigeria (research findings already published). More than 70% Nigerians lack access to potable water and suffer water borne diseases frequently. Anyways, the government isn't bothered, why should I?? angry

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by ForeThinker: 4:12pm On Mar 12, 2020
River Niger and Benue just dey like dele

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by Sadteen: 4:12pm On Mar 12, 2020
I have learned to book space. Nairaland has a negative influence on children, poor me!
Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by Jaqenhghar: 4:13pm On Mar 12, 2020
Pipe borne water is a luxury. Pretty much like any other basic necessity

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by gr8child(m): 4:13pm On Mar 12, 2020
Na our way. Leading from the back.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by lastempero: 4:13pm On Mar 12, 2020
We are surrounded by several water bodies but getting a clean water is rocket science for us

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by Afromentalist: 4:13pm On Mar 12, 2020
Maybe the researchers just visited lagos and said: Dammmm, we are done with this shit

The African Mentalist

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by sam4noow(m): 4:14pm On Mar 12, 2020
Ohh Damnnn Shiiitttt niggggarrr

Poor in Electricity and same goes to common borehole water... Yet we call ourselves the giant of Africa.

first thing I'll do when I get to Heaven.. I'll Ask Angel Gabriel that out of the whole beautiful countries in the world, na inside this Shithole you reason to put me despite say I choose Belgium and u talk say the ticket don finish grin

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by A305: 4:14pm On Mar 12, 2020
We always rank number 1 in bad things category. We can't disappointed.

It's too late to fail like E-money usually writes; we will keep leading the pack of wolves.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by CapedBaldy: 4:14pm On Mar 12, 2020

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by Emmizofficial: 4:14pm On Mar 12, 2020
Concerning corona Mr. Maurice iwu cure never come out. He thinks na election when he fit manipulate abi. Make e come back come face im court issue o.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by Originality007: 4:14pm On Mar 12, 2020
grin grin always a gold medalist in anything bad..

15 Likes

Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by NOwazobia: 4:15pm On Mar 12, 2020
Our population will make us lead in the area we fail, just as it will make us lead in the area we improve.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by Jaqenhghar: 4:15pm On Mar 12, 2020
obowo69:
They are not talking of other countries here. It is your shothole they are talking of. No water. Its like saying becuase others havent painted their house so U refuse to paint yours.
Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by jesusbaby28: 4:15pm On Mar 12, 2020
NIGERIA my father land why? shocked shocked cry
Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by xynerise: 4:16pm On Mar 12, 2020
Borehole na wetin I dey use o
Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by iCauseTrouble: 4:16pm On Mar 12, 2020
k
Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by Nobody: 4:16pm On Mar 12, 2020
NIGERIA and 1st always...
Who says we not doing well grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by Elslim: 4:17pm On Mar 12, 2020
Somebody should please press reset button for this country...
Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by ZombiePUNISHER: 4:17pm On Mar 12, 2020
Buhari is a failure

Abba kyari took all his family members and friends to London for his birthday celebration...

While zombies chanting sai barber drinks gutter water...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by Blue3k2: 4:17pm On Mar 12, 2020
Afromentalist:
Maybe the researchers just visited lagos and said: Dayumm, we are done with this shit

That's not true. NOI polls examined all the geopolitical regions. There's also other researchers looked at the states holistically.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Leads Africa In Poor Water Supply To Citizens by MorataFC: 4:17pm On Mar 12, 2020
grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Naira Is More Valuable Than Dollar And Pound. Ignorance Is Killing Us. Wake Up! / I Encouraged Buhari To Run For President – Adesina / We’ll Accept The Challenge If You Make Family A Campaign Issue, Presidency Tells

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.