Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,041 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

"Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian (42655 Views)

Sango Was A King Before Becoming Deity – Alaafin Of Oyo / Emir Of Gwandu, Muhammadu Bashar: Homosexuality, Lesbianism, Cause Of Insecurity / 6 Undisputed Facts That Prove "Homosexuality" Is Demonic Possession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Dareal90s(m): 8:33am On May 10, 2018
Reelectbuhari:

Sometimes I wonder how people can be reasoning through their anus.......which economy and who built the economy......the igbos in lagos are well to do or what stops u from visiting other states.....u looking for free property to claim.....abi lazy youth.....

a time will come wen we hv finally taken over lag......

but I'd ont want to go far.....we still on sango homosexual life

and none of my brodas wants to associate with una...instad they will come and pick their own back home....

na una dey worry us sef....
You will take over lag grin grin cheesy thief, we don't walk around when our home is like heaven, your brothers are dirtying our environment with their gala carton, fan yogo sachets, name one successful Igbo man in Yoruba land, they live under d bridge, we develop our own land, go and develop ur villages and stop moving around like d Fulani's.
Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Nobody: 8:35am On May 10, 2018
Sango was Gay reason why he married Oya(woman).
Many are mad but few are roaming
Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by kjhova(m): 8:35am On May 10, 2018
Mynd44:
We already know this na so she should come with something else.

It is interesting the in Yoruba there are no words for apple, pineapple and even onions (alubosa from etymology shows that it was adopted and changed for easy pronunciation) yet there are two distinct words for being gay.

You have words like adodi and adofuro meaning being homosexual has always had some place in yoruba history but what is not clear is if it was outlawed but then again, there has never being historical evidences to show anyone was punished for it.

But then again, it is never seen that people practiced it in the open either by marriage or it was socially accepted but it existed.

As for the cross-dressing, popular musician Obesere has been wearing female clothing on stage for tears so Bobrisky's antics does not even surprise me. I guess what changed is the attitude and seeming feminity of Bobrisky that draws attraction to him

The Yoruba did not have original words for apple and pineapple because these fruits did not exist in Yoruba land. As for the onions, it also didn't exist in this part of Africa until the Arabs and Berbers traded it therefore variants of their name for the produce, Al Basr, exists across West African and the Niger River basin cultures. As for Sango's cross dressing, the writer only took liberties and took it liberally as Sango's historicity is not more than scant mention in oral tradition and a few pictoral evidence which were only produced several centuries after the real Sango may have existed. That said, you cannot stretch the dress code of a time past as cross dressing or else you would have to also regard Jesus and the Roman Cesars as cross dressers too, wouldn't you?

Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by g0tze: 8:38am On May 10, 2018
Reelectbuhari:

pain and headache for what reason.....

we are talking of root of gay behaviour in yoruba culture and u talking of headache.....

anyway.....sango is gay orunmila is lesbian.....QED

ur root and lineage has a bad and spitful history
hahahahaha
Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Jameshyrated(m): 8:38am On May 10, 2018
I thought I was going 2see d Santa's picture
Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Nobody: 8:39am On May 10, 2018
monex:

the anti-igbo rhetoric is worse. Those "your heroes" who "schooled" Mynd44 are examples of tribal bigots themselves.

Every Nigerian on Nairaland is a tribal bigot including you. And that also includes those who laugh and smile privately in approval when the other tribe is being bashed.

Because some of us refuse to be cowered by your lack of tact and sensitivity doesn't make us worse than the rest of you.

I can't see anywhere in this thread where you've admonished your brothers to stop their attacks despite the fact that they started it.

Always forming persecution when the attack gets too hot.
Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by slam7000(m): 8:41am On May 10, 2018
5thElement:

I see.

Click on this link below and educate yourself on what your ancestors were enjoying before the advent of the whites.

https://www.blackagendareport.com/content/tradition-same-gender-marriage-igboland-nigeria

Does that answer the question why Sango was a homosexual and a transvestite??

The answer to Sango was provided by not just ifa priests but a Yoruba academician as well.

Your source isn’t credible. It’s like asking me to read some gossip from Linda ikeji.

If you are gay bro, embrace it. Your forefathers practiced it...if your name is Adodi Aduforo, answer it with pride. It’s in your dna.

Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:45am On May 10, 2018
5thElement:

Every Nigerian on Nairaland is a tribal bigot including you. And that also includes those who laugh and smile privately in approval when the other tribe is being bashed.

Because some of us refuse to be cowered by your lack of tact and sensitivity doesn't make us worse than the rest of you.

I can't see anywhere in this thread where you've admonished your brothers to stop their attacks despite the fact that they started it.

I guess am not a Nigerian because am not and will never be a tribal bigot
Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by slam7000(m): 8:46am On May 10, 2018
5thElement:

Who started what?

Are you saying that Ifa priests and Dr George Olusola Ajibade are Igbos??

How dare you! Why would you try to hide facts? Ajibade earned his PhD mister. He is not some Afonja troll who visit Nairaland to shout IPOB and potopoto upandan.

Accept the fact that Sango enjoyed rectum and perineum.

He even carried the thing for head sef.

Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by itsene: 8:51am On May 10, 2018
Except that crossdressers adamantly protest being called homosexuals.
Silly historian.
Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Nobody: 8:52am On May 10, 2018
slam7000:

Who started what?

How dare you! Why would you try to hide facts? Ajibade earned his PhD mister. He is not some Afonja troll who visit Nairaland to shout IPOB and potopoto upandan.

nowonder them troway oduduwa from heaven without parachute ,,the guy bin they reason angel micheal gindi

Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Nobody: 8:53am On May 10, 2018
Mynd44:

It is interesting the in Yoruba there are no words for apple, pineapple and even onions (alubosa from etymology shows that it was adopted and changed for easy pronunciation) yet there are two distinct words for being gay.

You have words like adodi and adofuro meaning being homosexual has always had some place in yoruba history but what is not clear is if it was outlawed but then again, there has never being historical evidences to show anyone was punished for it.

But then again, it is never seen that people practiced it in the open either by marriage or it was socially accepted but it existed.

As for the cross-dressing, popular musician Obesere has been wearing female clothing on stage for tears so Bobrisky's antics does not even surprise me. I guess what changed is the attitude and seeming feminity of Bobrisky that draws attraction to him

Look, I know you are king mod with all the privileges attached to your office, but you still don't have the right to hold forth on a subject you're obviously completely ignorant about, misinforming the entire world in the process.

Your 'adodi' & 'adofuro' are vulgar street slangs recently introduced into the Yoruba lexicon by half-assed city dwellers like yourself, and if you were a Yoruba speaker (which I seriously doubt) you would know that 'furo' simply means 'crotch'. How exactly does that infer usage in a homosexual context?

I used to have a lot of respect for your online persona but this morning's write-up by you does not edify anybody.

Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Olu317(m): 8:59am On May 10, 2018
HeWrites:
A Ghanaian LGBT historian took to her twitter TL to share a research paper released by a Nigerian that suggested that homosexuality reigned supreme in Yorubaland pre-colonialism.

Read what she shared below;
"Homosexuality wasn't alien to pre-colonial Yoruba societies. Cross-dressing Sango initiates, a tale of how Orunmila was conceived through lesbian sex & proverbs describing homosexual intercourse defy arguments that homosexuality was introduced by the white man into Yoruba society"

Culled from; https://www.torimill.com/2018/05/homosexuality-wasnt-alien-to-pre-colonial-yoruba-sango-was-a-cross-dresser-historian.html

Lalasticlala Mynd44 Dominique
Historically, Yoruba didn't accept LGBT in the past in her communities or country though it may exist . But,naturally, such practices were aliens to Yorubas because, every ancient Yoruba family who were freeborn believed God is the owner of all children as well as humans. All they had were some consecrated men that were eunuch due to priesthood purpose or became eunuch to serve a Yoruba king. Some kings could have as much 70 eunuch to do his bidding. LGBT was a taboo and still a taboo in Yoruba land. In fact, I have come across one Yoruba chap and naturally he was never comfortable seeing people looking at him because of his thought of the stigma attached to it. And the stigma attached to LGBT in Yoruba land will not die because of the conservative nature to the lifestyle of these people. And sango being a crossed dresser has nothing to do with Yorubas as accepting homosexual in her country because in the olden days, all form of dressing was close to skirt like clothing worn by men but not as long as women's.

Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Nobody: 9:02am On May 10, 2018
Sango
Denrele
Bobrisky
Bisi Alimi

The gene strong well well. In fact, it's a dominant gene

And the list goes on..
Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Reelectbuhari: 9:03am On May 10, 2018
Dareal90s:

You will take over lag grin grin cheesy thief, we don't walk around when our home is like heaven, your brothers are dirtying our environment with their gala carton, fan yogo sachets, name one successful Igbo man in Yoruba land, they live under d bridge, we develop our own land, go and develop ur villages and stop moving around like d Fulani's.

bad child education.....
I don't want to dwell on who develop lagos....

but pls go down to ogun state/ lag boundary.....check who own all the whole houses there and land......na igbos in which my own family is a land owner....

no go hustle.....dey dia dey claim yoruba......by God's grace soon I go buy my own land there.....

just tell ur brodas wanting to associate me that I don't need them......dey are disturbing me.....pest all over me......

I rather bring any igbo from home that take in yoruba again........

una neva see.......

Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Reelectbuhari: 9:04am On May 10, 2018
Olu317:
Historically, Yoruba didn't accept LGBT in the past in her communities or country though it may exist . But,naturally, such practices were aliens to Yorubas because, every ancient Yoruba family who were freeborn believed God is the owner of all children as well as humans. All they had were some consecrated men that were eunuch due to priesthood purpose or became eunuch to serve a Yoruba king. Some kings could have as much 70 eunuch to do his bidding. LGBT was a taboo and still a taboo in Yoruba land. In fact, I have come across one Yoruba chap and naturally he was never comfortable seeing people looking at him because of his thought of the stigma attached to it. And the stigma attached to LGBT in Yoruba land will not die because of the conservative nature to the lifestyle of these people.

u are far from history

Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Reelectbuhari: 9:09am On May 10, 2018
snowlord:
Chinsos chinsos chinsos.... So sango liked men's ass shocked shocked
I see bobrisky is not a first

bobrisky is even the 1000 generation that liked ass....

is in their blood.....

Tufiakwa

Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Nobody: 9:09am On May 10, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

I guess am not a Nigerian because am not and will never be a tribal bigot

Until I see you caution your brothers...

Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:10am On May 10, 2018
Mynd44:

hmmmm the way the west abhors homosexuals one would never have thought that it was once practised!

An eye opener

well it's good that this generation condemns it!

#notohomosexualism#

Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Olu317(m): 9:11am On May 10, 2018
Reelectbuhari:

u are far from history
grin grin far from history? Where are you from? Do you want to know Óshó ju Iya Óshó lô? If you know ,exact or core Yoruba enclave, that such is practised, kindly mention it.
Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Nobody: 9:13am On May 10, 2018
slam7000:

Who started what?

Deal with this

https://www.blackagendareport.com/content/tradition-same-gender-marriage-igboland-nigeria

Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Reelectbuhari: 9:13am On May 10, 2018
OFFICIAL336:
So sango is gay, vultures go hear am.

and orunmila is lesbian.......Is official....

Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Nobody: 9:14am On May 10, 2018
slam7000:

Does that answer the question why Sango was a homosexual and a transvestite??

The answer to Sango was provided by not just ifa priests but a Yoruba academician as well.

Your source isn’t credible. It’s like asking me to read some gossip from Linda ikeji.

If you are gay bro, embrace it. Your forefathers practiced it...if your name is Adodi Aduforo, answer it with pride. It’s in your dna.

Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Reelectbuhari: 9:16am On May 10, 2018
Olu317:
grin grin far from history? Where are you from? Do you want to know Óshó ju Iya Óshó lô? If you know ,exact or core Yoruba enclave, that such is practised, kindly mention it.

Sango is gay and orunmila is lesbian

then after decades and centuries

their proud children like bobrisky, bisi alimi are touring the paths of their ancestors........

God forbid.....how can someones ancestors like ass.....heeeeeeee

Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Reelectbuhari: 9:17am On May 10, 2018
5thElement:

lolzzzzzzz......are u people sure this guy is alright......

bringing up unverified issues that can easily be refuted.....

Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Proudlyngwa(m): 9:20am On May 10, 2018
5thElement:

Until I see you caution your brothers...
If I refuse to caution, does that make me a bigot, am an introvert, and try my very best to live a positive life, that being said I caution everyone not just my brothers, I have been called Afonja numerous times on this forum, that says a lot about cautioning.
Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Nobody: 9:21am On May 10, 2018
Reelectbuhari:

lolzzzzzzz......are u people sure this guy is alright......

bringing up unverified issues that can easily be refuted.....

Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by emmysoftyou: 9:23am On May 10, 2018
kattytamer:

From benin historians he was the heir to his fathers throne sentenced to death because he... but the hangman let him escape to ife. Curiously he was referred to as both male and female atimes.
is it the one they called eleduwa? Oga all this na lies jare..

Yoruba are disputing the fact sha..
Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Nobody: 9:23am On May 10, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

If I refuse to caution, does that make me a bigot, am an introvert, and try my very best to live a positive life, that being said I caution everyone not just my brothers, I have been called Afonja numerous times on this forum, that says a lot about cautioning.

Then we can only hope to have more like you on this forum maybe sanity will reign then.
Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by OyinO: 9:25am On May 10, 2018
Rubbish! Who saw Sango and what he was wearing.

Re: "Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian by Nobody: 9:26am On May 10, 2018
Reelectbuhari:

Sango is gay and orunmila is lesbian

then after decades and centuries

their proud children like bobrisky, bisi alimi are touring the paths of their ancestors........

God forbid.....how can someones ancestors like ass.....heeeeeeee

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 / Eze Eri & His Chiefs Wearing Jewish Apparel (Photos) / Yoruba Dad Teaching His Biracial Kids Yoruba Language (Video)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63