Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,134 members, 7,856,534 topics. Date: Monday, 10 June 2024 at 09:50 PM

American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! - Foreign Affairs (2141) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! (1692906 Views)

American Politics For Republicans And Lovers Of Truth And Reason / President Bolsonaro Imported The Devilish American Politics To Brazil(photos) / What Does A Biden Presidency Have To Offer Us-africa Relationship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2138) (2139) (2140) (2141) (2142) (2143) (2144) ... (4174) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by raumdeuter: 1:59pm On Apr 10, 2021
budaatum:

As in talk? Smoke and mirrors, not really gonna happen?

That's what I think. Biden isn't that dumb, and to be honest the Supreme Court has been pretty impartial so far even to the point of being accused by the right of leaning left so there's really no need for him to.

I think they will talk, they can propose things like age or term limits but I dont think he will pack it.

Packing means he will increase the number to 15 so Democrats have a majority, the next Republican then packs it to 23 and so on until we someday have 99 supreme court judges and it becomes another senate grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by raumdeuter: 2:00pm On Apr 10, 2021
Weregonnalose:

Nobody wants it. The people did not ask for it. It is those on the house of reps that brought up that idea because they cannot handle or stand an orange man doing his duty to fill any open seat in the court

A part of his party is asking for it, And I believe he will set up a commission but he won't pack it. If he does, I will be surprised
Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by budaatum: 2:03pm On Apr 10, 2021
raumdeuter:

A repeal of the amendments might not be possible but full background checks and mental evaluation for potential gun owners can be done. Make it harder for sick people to get guns.

Also consider that those countries do not have a border with a cartel run country so getting illegal guns will be harder than in US

US supplies the cartel with more guns than cartel supplies US!

Repeal might be impossible but an amendment to achieve the same result isn't, given a few decades.
Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by happney65: 2:13pm On Apr 10, 2021
raumdeuter:

I think they will talk, they can propose things like age or term limits but I dont think he will pack it.

Packing means he will increase the number to 15 so Democrats have a majority, the next Republican then packs it to 23 and so on until we someday have 99 supreme court judges and it becomes another senate grin grin grin

Yes,The reform should be age or term limits something like its done in Nigeria. I don't 100% support packing it. but term and age limit should be done. In that regard, Dems and Republicans won't be able to play full blown politics with the supreme court.
Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by happney65: 2:15pm On Apr 10, 2021
The GOP is Trump's bitch now

3 Likes

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by budaatum: 2:22pm On Apr 10, 2021
happney65:

Yes,The reform should be age or term limits something like its done in Nigeria. I don't 100% support packing it. but term and age limit should be done. In that regard, Dems and Republicans won't be able to play full blown politics with the supreme court.

Don't delude yourself. Where there's a will, and there will always be a will, a way will be found to play full blown politics with the supreme court.

In fact (and do note its an opinion based on my prejudice and distrust of the right), I will not be surprised if the Republicans pack the Supreme Court. For their self righteous antiabortion's sake, they'll claim God told them to.
Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by happney65: 2:28pm On Apr 10, 2021
budaatum:

Don't delude yourself. Where there's a will, and there will always be a will, a way will be found to play full blown politics with the supreme court.

In fact (and do note its an opinion based on my prejudice and distrust of the right), I will not be surprised if the Republicans pack the Supreme Court. For their self righteous antiabortion's sake, they'll claim God told them to.

If they wanted to pack it and make it more the current 9,Trump would have done it.. Yes,They filled Ruth's opening within weeks but it is still within the ambit of the current 9 justices as long as Trump was still president.

There is no law that stated the opening cannot be filled within an election year despite the GOP saying otherwise during Obama's own. Even if an opening comes up after the election that Trump lost,he can still fill the seat.

I don't support packing,but I support age and term limits.

1 Like

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by donjazet(m): 2:30pm On Apr 10, 2021
budaatum:

He said he can't be believed so we don't bother much, but why didn't you post it?

https://www.mediamatters.org/tucker-carlson/tucker-carlson-face-fox-news-just-gave-his-full-endorsement-white-nationalist

I found it quite painful to watch.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by salford1: 2:33pm On Apr 10, 2021
budaatum:

Where I live they'd be blamed for assuming guilt and danger and for creating a situation by not being civil, but I guess the right to carry guns makes cops see people as guilty and dangerous until proven otherwise over there.

Shows the society has problems, to me.
Same where I live too. I would likely have been shot as a Canadian if I was pulled over in such manner.

Multiple orders like:
Hands out, get out of the vehicle with seat belts on. How do I take off my seat belts with my hands out?
If I go ahead to release the seat belt, I won't tell the officers that I am about to remove my seat belt and that would be a grave mistake. I am just even hearing about parking in well lit area. The report said this is common among minorities due to the distrust of police.
Thank God for body cams nowadays.

He even told the officer(Lieutenant) he would be dead or something like that referring to a quote about a black man executed in a movie.

If you are a coward, why join the police?

Oh, we have guns in Canada too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by salford1: 2:39pm On Apr 10, 2021
LordReed:

There is. A growing lack of trust between the police and the citizenry fuelled by other social problems like lack of good mental health care, lack of good social safety nets not to even add on the prevalence of guns. Its a gordian knot wrapping itself tighter with each event like this.
The army guy was screwed whichever way.
After the plates become clearly visible at the gas station, the cops could have just run his plate number instead of jumping out of their vehicles with guns pulled and creating a tense atmosphere.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by budaatum: 2:41pm On Apr 10, 2021
donjazet:

https://www.mediamatters.org/tucker-carlson/tucker-carlson-face-fox-news-just-gave-his-full-endorsement-white-nationalist

I found it quite painful to watch.

Painful, lol. From the source you posted its his thing so the rest of us have learnt not to insult our senses with his thrash by not watching foxnews.

Someday, the numbers will begin to hurt them.

White nationalists praise Tucker Carlson's full embrace of their “replacement” conspiracy theory
Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by budaatum: 2:44pm On Apr 10, 2021
salford1:

After the plates become clearly visible at the gas station, the cops could have just run his plate number instead of jumping out of their vehicles with guns pulled and creating a tense atmosphere.

Imagine! They pulled him over because they were blind and refused to change their mind when they finally could see.

1 Like

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by wirinet(m): 2:45pm On Apr 10, 2021
raumdeuter:

The last Republican regime confirmed 3 judges because there were openings, they did not increase the size of the court

But if Dems want to, they should go ahead, just remember that when the other party wins, they will do the same thing just like we learnt with the nuclear option

False! The Republicans under Mitch McConnell stole a Democrat Supreme Court opening and handed it over to Trump with an excuse that it was too close to elections even though the elections was 1 year away. But they confirmed a Supreme Court opening just 3 weeks to elections.

When you cheat because you are in power, your opponent would also cheat when they get to power. The cycle continues until the whole system crashes.

3 Likes

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by salford1: 2:45pm On Apr 10, 2021
sanpipita:
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-vote-dc-statehood-bill-week-april-19

DC statehood bill to voted on this coming week
Good. The GQP will now realise that the Dems can also be mad too.

2 Likes

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by salford1: 2:49pm On Apr 10, 2021
happney65:
The GOP is Trump's bitch now
Absolutely. I agree with him.

2 Likes

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by budaatum: 2:50pm On Apr 10, 2021
happney65:

If they wanted to pack it and make it more the current 9,Trump would have done it.. Yes,They filled Ruth's opening within weeks but it is still within the ambit of the current 9 justices as long as Trump was still president.

There is no law that stated the opening cannot be filled within an election year despite the GOP saying otherwise during Obama's own. Even if an opening comes up after the election that Trump lost,he can still fill the seat.

I don't support packing,but I support age and term limits.
They didn't need to pack it then, and they did nothing wrong filling Ruth, but I still don't trust them going forward.

They'll say they are pre-empting the Dems when they do and God said they should. But as I said, my bias and prejudice makes me think that way.
Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by budaatum: 2:52pm On Apr 10, 2021
wirinet:

False! The Republicans under Mitch McConnell stole a Democrat Supreme Court opening and handed it over to Trump with an excuse that it was too close to elections even though the elections was 1 year away. But they confirmed a Supreme Court opening just 3 weeks to elections.

When you cheat because you are in power, your opponent would also cheat when they get to power. The cycle continues until the whole system crashes.

Sorry, not cheating at all. Next time, get the numbers so you can't be 'cheated'.

That should make you appreciate more what was done in Georgia.

3 Likes

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by wirinet(m): 2:53pm On Apr 10, 2021
raumdeuter:

Its different in a country without guns vs a country with more guns than people

Police do not have spare lives too and are always on the edge as every encounter with police in America is potentially more deadly than anywhere else in the world. It's you duty as a citizen to obey the law enforcement
If there were more guns in Canada, China and UK more than people, I believe the police in those places will have more shootings too

In other countries, a normal road rage ends up with people flipping the finger, In America where normal road rage can end in shooting
In other countries a bullied kid sucks it up, In America, they pick guns and shoot people

America is not the only country where racism exists, Its not the only place where different races co-exist in same place rather its the place where there are more guns than everywhere else. A racist cop in Canada will probably use batons on you because he has no reason to fear for his life, while a regular cop in America that isn't even racist will shoot

You guys that complain that America is potentially more deadly than anywhere else in the world because more guns than people are the same people that resists any sort of gun control. Is that not a paradox?

One thing you guys fail to realize and which many older societies have learnt is that violence begets more violence.

What do you expect when guns are promoted as the most effective means of self protection and of policing?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by raumdeuter: 2:53pm On Apr 10, 2021
wirinet:

If Hilary had won she would have also filled 3 spots like Trump did. In Bidens 4yrs if here are 4 openings, I expect him to fill also

The last Republican was Trump, He met a court opening filled with Gorsuch, A judge retired he filled it, RBG died he filled it

There is no law that says you cannot fill an opening with 3 weeks, A president is appointed to rule for 4yrs. From January 20 to January 19. You don't stop being president because an election is coming

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by salford1: 2:54pm On Apr 10, 2021
budaatum:

Painful, lol. From the source you posted its his thing so the rest of us have learnt not to insult our senses with his thrash by not watching foxnews.

Someday, the numbers will begin to hurt them.

White nationalists praise Tucker Carlson's full embrace of their “replacement” conspiracy theory
Just imagine the nonsense. Third world invaders are majorly non-white from Asia, Africa and South America. They (the racists trucker was calling on) would care less if you arrive the US on a skilled visa or for post graduate studies at Harvard.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by wirinet(m): 2:58pm On Apr 10, 2021
budaatum:

Sorry, not cheating at all. Next time, get the numbers so you can't be 'cheated'.

That should make you appreciate more what was done in Georgia.

That is a very dangerous proposition. You are now telling me that if a party ever achieve super majority, then that party is justified to use that super majority to act in bad faith. One can now appreciate the Republican party under Ronald Reagan who had super majority and controlled all branches of government, but never alienated or cheated the democrats.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by Weregonnalose: 2:59pm On Apr 10, 2021
salford1:

No, it does not work that way. After the plates becomes visible the oficers will wonder why he is not being corporative.
Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by sanpipita(m): 3:01pm On Apr 10, 2021
salford1:
Good. The GQP will now realise that the Dems can also be mad too.
Funny they will oppose it when on merit DC deserves statehood.

2 Likes

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by budaatum: 3:02pm On Apr 10, 2021
wirinet:

That is a very dangerous proposition. You are now telling me that if a party ever achieve super majority, then that party is justified to use that super majority to act in bad faith. One can now appreciate the Republican party under Ronald Reagan who had super majority and controlled all branches of government, but never alienated or cheated the democrats.

One lesson from the last four years is not every potus is Saint Ronald Reagan and hoping they will be is just plain naivete.

Wake up please, I beg you.

1 Like

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by salford1: 3:03pm On Apr 10, 2021
20 Latinos murdered at a Walmart in El Paso. Hate manifestos have left the dark web for mainstream conservative media. This is the type of reply Tucker is expecting from white nationalists:

1 Like

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by Weregonnalose: 3:05pm On Apr 10, 2021
budaatum:

Imagine! They pulled him over because they were blind and refused to change their mind when they finally could see.

They mistakenly pulled you over does not mean you won't follow lawful orders. Two wrongs don't make a right. He could have stopped, complied and show them the damn plates. No need to excuse this. They plead with him to follow their orders
Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by wirinet(m): 3:06pm On Apr 10, 2021
raumdeuter:

If Hilary had won she would have also filled 3 spots like Trump did. In Bidens 4yrs if here are 4 openings, I expect him to fill also

The last Republican was Trump, He met a court opening filled with Gorsuch, A judge retired he filled it, RBG died he filled it

There is no law that says you cannot fill an opening with 3 weeks, A president is appointed to rule for 4yrs. From January 20 to January 19. You don't stop being president because an election is coming

I was talking about court openings that occurred during the time of Obama. Mitch McConnell led Senate refused hearings for the judges because they control the Senate. The opening did not occur during Trump nor if Hillary had won. The opening belonged to Obama.

I never said there was a law that says you cannot a court openings that occurred one day to the end of an administration, what I am saying is that it is bad faith to say you cannot screen judges 1 year to elections because it is not to your advantage and then turn around and say there is no law that says you cannot fill an opening within 3 weeks of an election.

The other side too will be in majority one day and they too will pay back in bad faith.

1 Like

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by salford1: 3:07pm On Apr 10, 2021
Only if budaatum would ignore and not reply the poster above typing rubbish about how cops are to relate with the public.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by budaatum: 3:12pm On Apr 10, 2021
salford1:
Only if budaatum would ignore and not reply the poster above typing rubbish about how cops are to relate with the public.

I don't think I've responded to that loser ever for fear losing is contagious, lol.

4 Likes

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by Weregonnalose: 3:13pm On Apr 10, 2021
salford1:

Unlike you we have had good discussion. You are looking for yes men. You can continue on WhatsApp
Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by salford1: 3:17pm On Apr 10, 2021
He has absolutely no clue.

Re: American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! by budaatum: 3:19pm On Apr 10, 2021
wirinet:

I was talking about court openings that occurred during the time of Obama. Mitch McConnell led Senate refused hearings for the judges because they control the Senate. The opening did not occur during Trump nor if Hillary had won. The opening belonged to Obama.

I never said there was a law that says you cannot a court openings that occurred one day to the end of an administration, what I am saying is that it is bad faith to say you cannot screen judges 1 year to elections because it is not to your advantage and then turn around and say there is no law that says you cannot fill an opening within 3 weeks of an election.

The other side too will be in majority one day and they too will pay back in bad faith.

"Belong to", "bad faith", like you were born tomorrow and your opponents are going to heaven angels, lol.

And no, you don't need to become like them. Just learn from Stacy Abrams and beat them fair and square so much I can still hear them wailing.

By God, I so love that woman!

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2138) (2139) (2140) (2141) (2142) (2143) (2144) ... (4174) (Reply)

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread

Viewing this topic: Hyperchi(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.