Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,710 members, 7,809,694 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:22 PM

Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? (2290 Views)

Weird Sacrifice I Saw This Morning... Stay Woke / Weird Things Some African Pastors Have Made Their Members Do(Photos) / Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by superhumanist(m): 8:49pm On May 20, 2018
Ever since I became an atheist, I developed a problem of some sorts. I seem to be drawn to thoughts about death and dark things.

I seem to have a taste for dark fantasy and the weird side of life.

For instance, I watch a lot of horror movies (I used to be scared of them as a christian). I read a lot of horror novels as well. I revel in apocalyptic and dystopian thoughts about the future.

If I were to self-diagnose myself, I would say that being an atheists makes you more likely to question life...and an important part of life is death. In questioning my mortality and finding no answer, I think I continue to find some meaning in the macabre.

What do you guys think?

2 Likes

Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by Bintabisiriyu: 8:56pm On May 20, 2018
What is this one saying?
Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by CAPSLOCKED: 8:58pm On May 20, 2018

IN MY OWN CASE, I'VE ACCEPTED IT'S INEVITABLE AND EXPECT IT AT ANYTIME. I DON'T THINK ABOUT IT TOO MUCH CUS I ALREADY DID THAT AS A CHILD, HENCE, PART OF WHAT LED TO MY DECONVERTION.

I JUST TRY TO DO WHAT'S BEST FOR ME AND THE PEOPLE AROUND, EVERYTIME.. BECAUSE I CAN'T SAY WHEN THE LAST MOMENT WILL COME (AS THERE'S NO DEITY BEHIND MY FATE).

5 Likes

Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by thesicilian: 9:12pm On May 20, 2018
superhumanist:
Ever since I became an atheist, I developed a problem of some sorts. I seem to be drawn to thoughts about death and dark things.

For instance, I watch a lot of horror movies (I used to be scared of them as a christian). I read a lot of horror novels as well. I revel in apocalyptic and dystopian thoughts about the future.

If I were to self-diagnose myself, I would say that being an atheists makes you more likely to question life...and an important part of life is death. In questioning my mortality and finding no answer, I think I continue to find some meaning in the macabre.

What do you guys think?
Death is not a part of life. Death is the absence of life.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by superhumanist(m): 9:25pm On May 20, 2018
thesicilian:

Death is part of life. A lot of cells die in your body daily. All life must die. All men must die...valar morghulis

Death gives life meaning. If we were to live for eternity, there would be no rush for anything.

Like I said, I have thought about death a lot.
Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by superhumanist(m): 9:26pm On May 20, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

IN MY OWN CASE, I'VE ACCEPTED IT'S INEVITABLE AND EXPECT IT AT ANYTIME. I DON'T THINK ABOUT IT TOO MUCH CUS I ALREADY DID THAT AS A CHILD, HENCE, PART OF WHAT LED TO MY DECONVERTION.

I JUST TRY TO DO WHAT'S BEST FOR ME AND THE PEOPLE AROUND, EVERYTIME.. BECAUSE I CAN'T SAY WHEN THE LAST MOMENT WILL COME (AS THERE'S NO DEITY BEHIND MY FATE).

But what about the dark side of life? Do you watch horror movies? Do you wonder about the mysteries of life? Have you watched Donnie Darko?
Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by Mariangeles(f): 9:31pm On May 20, 2018
superhumanist:

What do you guys think?
grin grin grin
If you were afraid of horror movies as a Christian, then you never really understood the power you possessed!
Just get ready 'cause it gets worse... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by Nobody: 9:31pm On May 20, 2018
superhumanist:

What do you guys think?

I won't preach to u about any relegion or a relationship with Christ, u've probably been there ...but there's something that works for everyone weda Christian, Muslim, Idol worshipers or the Godless like u..

Be selfless from time to time...make a timetable of it if u can...go out of ur way to do things for others without expecting anything in return..and do it often

Its not about the amount, it could be just 2£(like the widow's mite).it may not even be money, it may be ur time....it makes life a bit meaningful..

I have athiest friends that visit pple in prisons and help them with food and words of encouragement...
Some visit homeless shelter to help with cooking and organizing...
Some organizer drug and sex awareness campaign for teenagers monthly in their neighbourhood....

Like the godless say...we are no different from dogs, rats, birds or even the pathogenic bacteria...we live for some time, then we die...but wetava time we have, helping others genuinely from the heart gives some certain kinda joy, distracts us abit from the thoughts of death by giving u some kinda reason to live other that just existing and helps to fill that emptiness in every man's soul that makes him constantly ask....
what is the purpose of living if we are all just gonna die eventually....

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by superhumanist(m): 10:01pm On May 20, 2018
wildimagination:

I won't preach to u about any relegion or a relationship with Christ, u've probably been there ...but there's something that works for everyone weda Christian, Muslim, Idol worshipers or the Godless like u..

Be selfless from time to time...make a timetable of it if u can...go out of ur way to do things for others without expecting anything in return..and do it often

Its not about the amount, it could be just 2£(like the widow's mite).it may not even be money, it may be ur time....it makes life a bit meaningful..

I have athiest friends that visit pple in prisons and help them with food and words of encouragement...
Some organizer drug and sex awareness campaign for teenagers monthly in their neighbourhood....

Like the godless say...we are no different from dogs, rats, birds or even the pathogenic bacteria...we live for some time, then we die...but wetava time we have, helping others genuinely from the heart gives some certain kinda joy, distracts us abit from the thoughts of death by giving u some kinda reason to live other that just existing and helps to fill that emptiness in every man's soul that makes him constantly ask....

I agree with you.

But the question is, do you find yourself drawn to dark fantasies?
Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by superhumanist(m): 10:01pm On May 20, 2018
Mariangeles:
grin grin grin
If you were afraid of horror movies as a Christian, then you never really understood the power you possessed!
Just get ready 'cause it gets worse... grin grin grin

Which power is this?
Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by Mariangeles(f): 10:07pm On May 20, 2018
superhumanist:

Which power is this?
You already gave it up!

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by Nobody: 10:16pm On May 20, 2018
superhumanist:

I agree with you.

Ofcourse........I got so engrossed i started entertaining morbid ideas, I sort of started feeling the need to kill someone...after all..we are all animals...the strong one kills the weak...it was a dark, purposeless time
but later I found my purpose and realised I'm no dog or rat or a bacteria....

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by HappyPagan: 10:29pm On May 20, 2018
superhumanist:

I agree with you.

I've always been drawn to dark fantasy. I loved horror movies and books as a child. Classmates called me weird and mysterious.

I didn't just enjoy the stories, I wanted to be like the characters, always imagined myself exploring their environment.

For me, murder and sex makes a great script, Femme Fatale was a fun movie, one I watched far away from the monitoring eyes of my parents.

When I was Christian, I'd feel guilty. As a kid, Sunday School was quite successful planting the idea of an all-seeing, monitoring God - He watches everything, knows all, sees all you do. He will punish you if he sees you doing bad thing.

I realized that God was me when I turned atheist, and boy, have I indulged in some crazy shit since this discovery.

Poems From My Blunt
Birth and death, the two gates between which lies life. O we mortals, life's a sentence broken into many paragraphs. Ups and downs will come, but they are all part of the journey. Make it memorable. It will be forgotten anyways.
Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by superhumanist(m): 10:47pm On May 20, 2018
wildimagination:

Ofcourse........I got so engrossed i started entertaining morbid ideas, I sort of started feeling the need to kill someone...after all..we are all animals...the strong one kills the weak...it was a dark, purposeless time

Interesting. So what is this purpose you found?
Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by superhumanist(m): 10:50pm On May 20, 2018
HappyPagan:

I've always been drawn to dark fantasy. I loved horror movies and books as a child. Classmates called me weird and mysterious.

I didn't just enjoy the stories, I wanted to be like the characters, always imagined myself exploring their environment.

For me, murder and sex makes a great script, Femme Fatale was a fun movie, one I watched far away from the monitoring eyes of my parents.

When I was Christian, I'd feel guilty. As a kid, Sunday School was quite successful planting the idea of an all-seeing, monitoring God - He watches everything, knows all, sees all you do. He will punish you if he sees you doing bad thing.

I realized that God was me when I turned atheist, and boy, have I indulged in some crazy shit since this discovery.

Poems From My Blunt
Birth and death, the two gates between which lies life. O we mortals, life's a sentence broken into many paragraphs. Ups and downs will come, but they are all part of the journey. Make it memorable. It will be forgotten anyways.

It seems you understand my plight.

I personally think that this interest in dark fantasy is a search for meaning. I find myself lost in thoughts about death, afterlife, parallel universes and fantasy worlds.
Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by HappyPagan: 11:01pm On May 20, 2018
superhumanist:

It seems you understand my plight.

I personally think that this interest in dark fantasy is a search for meaning. I find myself lost in thoughts about death, afterlife, parallel universes and fantasy worlds.
I swear.. Sometimes, I feel like I live on a different planet. Being 'aware' is like the proverbial scales falling off the eyes. It's regaining one's creative child-mind, curiosity, sense of wonder.. Every ''what if" is answered by another "what if" .. Where God once filled the answers, he's become a gate I can open and walk beyond without fear of recrimination.

My mind has explored places my legs would fear to go. The internet has served as a reliable feed. It's an amazing time to be alive.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by HappyPagan: 11:19pm On May 20, 2018
thesicilian:

You can't talk about one without the other. Death is where all lives end.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by Nobody: 12:27am On May 21, 2018
Going by your write up, I would love to imaging you infatuated with death, It's normal for constantly thinking brain to do so, But being drawn to horrific dark fantasies is such a sociopathic and sadistic tendency again, it also plays out in your mind on your quest to find meaning to life.

Here is the thing, The meaning to life is to feed, breed and die, anything aside those three are materialistic and don't hold no place in the quest for life important. so abort your dark fantasies otherwise, you find your self manifesting thoughts one way or another.

The brain/mind is powerful than you think. The brain plants those dark fantasies in your mind due to information you have of the world, Now it's your duty to abort that thought process from your mind or you might end up doing the unimaginable.

I'm Atheist myself, I know the phase you going through. Time to quit reading stuff about religion and read more about psychology to justify the nonsense in religion, you would be forced to abort those thoughts and rather leave your mind in a state of tabularazza for you to live a happy/successful life.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by superhumanist(m): 9:10am On May 21, 2018
HappyPagan:

I swear.. Sometimes, I feel like I live on a different planet. Being 'aware' is like the proverbial scales falling off the eyes. It's regaining one's creative child-mind, curiosity, sense of wonder.. Every ''what if" is answered by another "what if" .. Where God once filled the answers, he's become a gate I can open and walk beyond without fear of recrimination.

My mind has explored places my legs would fear to go. The internet has served as a reliable feed. It's an amazing time to be alive.

Yes, the internet. I have watched countless videos on YouTube about other galaxies, weird things, urban myths etc.

Right now, I'm addicted to time travel movies. I feel like going to 1000 years into the future to see how much technology will have progressed.

What a time to be alive!
Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by superhumanist(m): 9:30am On May 21, 2018
aaronson:
Going by your write up, I would love to imaging you infatuated with death, It's normal for constantly thinking brain to do so, But being drawn to horrific dark fantasies is such a sociopathic and sadistic tendency again, it also plays out in your mind on your quest to find meaning to life.

Here is the thing, The meaning to life is to feed, breed and die, anything aside those three are materialistic and don't hold no place in the quest for life important. so abort your dark fantasies otherwise, you find your self manifesting thoughts one way or another.

The brain/mind is powerful than you think. The brain plants those dark fantasies in your mind due to information you have of the world, Now it's your duty to abort that thought process from your mind or you might end up doing the unimaginable.

I'm Atheist myself, I know the phase you going through. Time to quit reading stuff about religion and read more about psychology to justify the nonsense in religion, you would be forced to abort those thoughts and rather leave your mind in a state of tabularazza for you to live a happy/successful life.

But those dark thoughts also help. I am constantly reminded about how I could die or life could be worse. So I keep moving forward.

It also helps me artistically as it encourages my creativity. Haven't you realised that the best music comes from pain and darkness?

This paradox reminds me of a saying-

"It is only in the dark that one can see the faintest of lights."

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by CAPSLOCKED: 10:26am On May 21, 2018
superhumanist:

But what about the dark side of life? Do you watch horror movies? Do you wonder about the mysteries of life? Have you watched Donnie Darko?

I DON'T WATCH ANY MOVIES. I DISLIKE THEM ALL. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by M0ron: 10:47am On May 21, 2018
wildimagination:

What distinguishes you from a bat?
Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by M0ron: 10:50am On May 21, 2018
aaronson:

You want to sing lullabies to your conscience
Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by Martinez19(m): 11:01am On May 21, 2018
I used to be afraid of the dark and being alone in the house at night but when became an atheist and my views became more scientific, I started going to dark areas for fun to remaind myself of how I mystified the absence of light (darkness). grin I can now finally stay alone in darkness since I know demons and other scary monsters don't exist and darkness is just the absence of light and is nothing special.

I am not afraid of death and love horror movies.
Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by superhumanist(m): 11:08am On May 21, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

I DON'T WATCH ANY MOVIES. I DISLIKE THEM ALL. smiley

Okay. But you must watch some videos on YouTube? Some science stuff?
Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 11:14am On May 21, 2018
wildimagination:

What a useless advise.

Don't waste time helping lazy people wallow in their laziness.

If you need help from a fellow mortal, then you are a waste of useful space. Do the world a favour and expire yourself.
Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by superhumanist(m): 11:16am On May 21, 2018
Martinez19:
I used to be afraid of the dark and being alone in the house at night but when became an atheist and my views became more scientific, I started going to dark areas for fun to remaind myself of how I mystified the absence of light (darkness). grin I can now finally stay alone in darkness since I know demons and other scary monsters don't exist and darkness is just the absence of light and is nothing special.

Good. I now have a brother in darkness. Haha
Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by superhumanist(m): 11:18am On May 21, 2018
AlfaSeltzer:

What a useless advise.

Don't waste time helping lazy people wallow in their laziness.

If you need help from a fellow mortal, then you are a waste of useful space. Do the world a favour and expire yourself.

Damn! That is harsh. Haba!
Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by obinna58(m): 11:41am On May 21, 2018
Martinez19:

You just described some part of me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by Martinez19(m): 11:47am On May 21, 2018
superhumanist:

Good. I now have a brother in darkness. Haha
grin
Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by superhumanist(m): 12:01pm On May 21, 2018
obinna58:

You just described some part of me

Good to see more people who have this same common interests
Re: Atheists, Do You Have This Weird Problem? by CAPSLOCKED: 12:03pm On May 21, 2018
superhumanist:

Okay. But you must watch some videos on YouTube? Some science stuff?
YES. MUSIC AND FOOTBALL MOST ESPECIALLY.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Does God Exist? / Did Mary Rise To Heaven Without Dying? / Why Is Bro Joshua Iginla Using TB Joshua's Image For Advertising???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.