Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:26 AM

Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community (35183 Views)

Tarkwa Bay Beach Island In Lagos (Photos) / A Day At Tarkwa Bay Beach / ₦163b, 19floors Into The Ground, China To Open Groundscraper Hotel In 2018(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by deturla: 1:43pm On May 23, 2018
BY NIGERIA'S FIRST PHOTOBLOGGER -

This Tarkwa Bay Island beach is very popular with swimmers and water-sports enthusiasts. It also has a welcoming resident community. As it is far removed from the normal hustle and bustle of which Lagos city is noted for, you cannot but fall in love with this beautiful island. And unlike most public beaches in Lagos, this beach is not often noisy or overcrowded. This makes it a great place for some alone time with your significant other or perhaps a fun day out with your friends.

A lot has been said about the Tarkwa Bay Island Beach when you visit the Social Prefect and NaijaSingleGirls’ blogs about their visit and experience, but it is shocking to know that no one has really talked about the village that haboured the beautiful Tarkwa Bay Island Beach.

So, I picked up my cameras and decided to pay the Tarkwa Bay Island Village a visit. Despite the fact that I took quite a number of pictures detailing the lifestyle of people in the community, I also met with and interviewed the Baale of Tarkwa and the revelations were as enthralling as shocking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8P4L955YFY

History of Tarkwa Bay

Away from being a tourist attraction for both locals and foreigners, the Tarkwa Bay Island village which reeks of abandonment from the government of Lagos State holds an amazing story and history.

Tarkwa Bay used to be very unorganized with no definite pattern but this village has taken a new shape with the amazing organization of the residents in ensuring the village is more organized that in previous years.

Tightly packed shacks dot the landscape. Just few of the building are made of block and most of these were erected by the European sailors and slave merchants, who used the place either for leisure or as transit camp.

Wikipedia’s incorrect information on Tarkwa Bay Island

From being a natural island with amazing natural beaches which was different from Wikipedia’s incorrect information that Tarkwa Bay was an “ARTIFICIAL BEACH” to the sojourn of Queen Elizabeth III and General Yakubu Gowon’s residency, this village reeks of amazing history that can’t be found in any books.

Before we get to the pictures, this interview with Chief Olatunji Maxwell and Chief Prince Saheed Onisiwo will make you fall in love with Tarkwa and also let you into a world that was left undocumented for a long time. A story of love, hate, abandonment and acceptance!

The residents though, are fun loving. Every evening, residents and visitors of the Island moves out to have fun at the local gin stalls and beer parlous.

Nights at Ajegunle, in Tarkwa Bay, can be much busier than Abule and Okunayo, which are also other parts of the island. The fun spots play current tunes from within the country and elsewhere. Popularly played is the music of Timaya- a Bayelsa state born hiphop artiste.

The youths on the beach area in touch with current trends also. They dress in jeans, T-shirts, canvas and loafers which are sold in the local boutiques there. Like their mates elsewhere, they are also crazy about European football leagues. Any time there is a match, you will surely find them at the various viewing centres. Such teams as Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United, Barcelona FC and Real Madrid have them as fans. There is also a local football field, where the youths display their skill.

Tarkwa Bay Island is just same as everywhere else in terms of people and lifestyle. The community being mentioned as a Sodom & Gomorrah is very unfair and belittles the amazing history behind a community that has been self sustaining for several years.

Tarkwa isn’t a Sex Haven of any sort! – Stop this propaganda!

Expensive community

Largely due to the how it is located, life on Tarkwa Bay is expensive. On the island is an acute case of suffering and smiling. Bottles of beer, sachet of water among other necessities, fall under this category.

The other oddities

Other oddities to note are the lack of adequate public or private toilets in Tarkwa Bay. When nature calls, the norm is to answer at the shoreline where they are being swept away by waves that comes and goes. Also on the island are quite a number of lunatics.

When Politicians visit

Even though they lack social amenities this does not in any way suggest that government and politicians are ignorant of the existence of Tarkwa Bay. During election, politicians defy all odds just to get in touch with the community. They will strip themselves of their ego, smartly bringing themselves t the level of these communities so as just to canvass for their votes, with promises of goodies and social amenities. But regrettably, these promises fade away like the sands carried off by the waves.

Churches and NGOs to the rescue

Unlike the government which has abandoned the people of Tarkwa bay, churches are in one way or the other trying to deal with their spiritual welfare. This congregation includes the Cherubim and Seraphim, Assemblies of God Church, International Pentecostal Holiness Church, Bible Life Church and Evangel Pentecostal Church, Our Lady of Tarkwa Bay Catholic Church. A number of their activities and impacts are evident in life on the beach presently.

Last words on the documentary of Tarkwa Bay Island

Finally, as you can see there are in-born and associated problems in the Tarkwa Bay Island and also amazing investment opportunities in this community. As an NGO, this is the perfect opportunity to extend your arm of help and assistance to this unique island and as an investor, move away from the hustle of Lagos to a more serene environment where you can invest with amazing ROI for your money.

I've got more amazing pictures on the blog. Please check them out as well. I am sure this content will blow you away!

http://deedeesblog.com/tarkwa-bay-island-2018-shocking-story-behind-an-amazing-community/

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by segzysexy(m): 2:40pm On May 23, 2018
This island is so amazing. Love to visit there someday.
Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by ednut1(m): 2:50pm On May 23, 2018
Sly angry u no kuku invite me

1 Like

Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by Nobody: 3:18pm On May 23, 2018
grin embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by alienvirus: 3:18pm On May 23, 2018
As usual, we cannot make the benefit of that beautiful Island. Let this Island be in China, it would have been turned to magnificent arena with a lot of income for the nation.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by walexGodson(m): 3:19pm On May 23, 2018
Seen
Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by Feranmi4christ(m): 3:20pm On May 23, 2018
Let me jejely buy a plot of land here.
Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by Nobody: 3:21pm On May 23, 2018
Lagos State needs to do some more work on tourism not encouraging... but they will run to Hawaii for honeymoon

7 Likes

Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 23, 2018
Went there to do some work a few weeks ago. . .and this guy's right, it seems completely undocumented. The only thing is there are a few fraudulent customs officers that allow people to smuggle things through there but they collect hefty bribes.

7 Likes

Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by davostar: 3:23pm On May 23, 2018
okay nw
Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by MEDICPATH(m): 3:23pm On May 23, 2018
Nice...we have lots of riches culturally in this country
Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by kagari: 3:24pm On May 23, 2018
i fell in love with Tarkwa bay the very first day i went there years back, that i had to write a poem about the place

TARKWA BAY

Out in the outskirts of Lagos bay
The sound of rumble, the waters rage
Over and over, the movements pave
In the sea of Tarkwa bay

Watch and look, a sight to behold
The rhythm of the waters and boat
Fresh and salty, a textured coat
In the sea of Tarkwa bay

Dusk to dawn, the waters clashes familiar
The bane of H2O's unit formula
Home to the beauty of sea mammalians
In the sea of Tarkwa bay

I love to sit and watch you flow
But surely i would sometime go
Certainly the world must come to know
Of the sea of Tarkwa bay

i wrote this in 2010

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by Fahrenhite(m): 3:24pm On May 23, 2018
I used to go there occasionally for swimming
Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by Paperwhite(m): 3:25pm On May 23, 2018
Tarkwa Bay here I come. smiley Guess there are facilities for lodging there
Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by hillsway(m): 3:27pm On May 23, 2018
It's well.

5 Likes

Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by skales67(m): 3:27pm On May 23, 2018
Would you follow me and chop kwa-kwa...
While I'm living by the bay in Tarkwa...

MI Agaba cool

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by SamuelAnyawu(m): 3:27pm On May 23, 2018
wink
Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by RZArecta2(m): 3:28pm On May 23, 2018
I still have unlimited fun there
Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by frubben(m): 3:29pm On May 23, 2018
hmmmm wonderful. well done
Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by Nobody: 3:31pm On May 23, 2018
Good to know.
Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by ProPlay: 3:35pm On May 23, 2018
Amazing shocker
Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by contigiency(m): 3:35pm On May 23, 2018
Very good documentary. The only major thing missing is that you didn't comment on the academic activities of the place. Good work.

2 Likes

Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by hefelove(m): 3:36pm On May 23, 2018
How can i get to this place nd how much is the entrance fee?
Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by Nobody: 3:40pm On May 23, 2018
Tarkwa my Tarkwa

Fresh Palm wine + shiny nose fish marinated in palm oil sauce with utazi leaves + plantain + okpeke = delicious agony

That island is an untapped destination.
The reporter didn't do justice to the report.

2 Likes

Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by Futureberry: 3:58pm On May 23, 2018
deturla:
BY NIGERIA'S FIRST PHOTOBLOGGER -

This Tarkwa Bay Island beach is very popular with swimmers and water-sports enthusiasts. It also has a welcoming resident community. As it is far removed from the normal hustle and bustle of which Lagos city is noted for, you cannot but fall in love with this beautiful island. And unlike most public beaches in Lagos, this beach is not often noisy or overcrowded. This makes it a great place for some alone time with your significant other or perhaps a fun day out with your friends.

A lot has been said about the Tarkwa Bay Island Beach when you visit the Social Prefect and NaijaSingleGirls’ blogs about their visit and experience, but it is shocking to know that no one has really talked about the village that haboured the beautiful Tarkwa Bay Island Beach.

So, I picked up my cameras and decided to pay the Tarkwa Bay Island Village a visit. Despite the fact that I took quite a number of pictures detailing the lifestyle of people in the community, I also met with and interviewed the Baale of Tarkwa and the revelations were as enthralling as shocking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8P4L955YFY

History of Tarkwa Bay

Away from being a tourist attraction for both locals and foreigners, the Tarkwa Bay Island village which reeks of abandonment from the government of Lagos State holds an amazing story and history.

Tarkwa Bay used to be very unorganized with no definite pattern but this village has taken a new shape with the amazing organization of the residents in ensuring the village is more organized that in previous years.

Tightly packed shacks dot the landscape. Just few of the building are made of block and most of these were erected by the European sailors and slave merchants, who used the place either for leisure or as transit camp.

Wikipedia’s incorrect information on Tarkwa Bay Island

From being a natural island with amazing natural beaches which was different from Wikipedia’s incorrect information that Tarkwa Bay was an “ARTIFICIAL BEACH” to the sojourn of Queen Elizabeth III and General Yakubu Gowon’s residency, this village reeks of amazing history that can’t be found in any books.

Before we get to the pictures, this interview with Chief Olatunji Maxwell and Chief Prince Saheed Onisiwo will make you fall in love with Tarkwa and also let you into a world that was left undocumented for a long time. A story of love, hate, abandonment and acceptance!

The residents though, are fun loving. Every evening, residents and visitors of the Island moves out to have fun at the local gin stalls and beer parlous.

Nights at Ajegunle, in Tarkwa Bay, can be much busier than Abule and Okunayo, which are also other parts of the island. The fun spots play current tunes from within the country and elsewhere. Popularly played is the music of Timaya- a Bayelsa state born hiphop artiste.

The youths on the beach area in touch with current trends also. They dress in jeans, T-shirts, canvas and loafers which are sold in the local boutiques there. Like their mates elsewhere, they are also crazy about European football leagues. Any time there is a match, you will surely find them at the various viewing centres. Such teams as Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United, Barcelona FC and Real Madrid have them as fans. There is also a local football field, where the youths display their skill.

Tarkwa Bay Island is just same as everywhere else in terms of people and lifestyle. The community being mentioned as a Sodom & Gomorrah is very unfair and belittles the amazing history behind a community that has been self sustaining for several years.

Tarkwa isn’t a Sex Haven of any sort! – Stop this propaganda!

Expensive community

Largely due to the how it is located, life on Tarkwa Bay is expensive. On the island is an acute case of suffering and smiling. Bottles of beer, sachet of water among other necessities, fall under this category.

The other oddities

Other oddities to note are the lack of adequate public or private toilets in Tarkwa Bay. When nature calls, the norm is to answer at the shoreline where they are being swept away by waves that comes and goes. Also on the island are quite a number of lunatics.

When Politicians visit

Even though they lack social amenities this does not in any way suggest that government and politicians are ignorant of the existence of Tarkwa Bay. During election, politicians defy all odds just to get in touch with the community. They will strip themselves of their ego, smartly bringing themselves t the level of these communities so as just to canvass for their votes, with promises of goodies and social amenities. But regrettably, these promises fade away like the sands carried off by the waves.

Churches and NGOs to the rescue

Unlike the government which has abandoned the people of Tarkwa bay, churches are in one way or the other trying to deal with their spiritual welfare. This congregation includes the Cherubim and Seraphim, Assemblies of God Church, International Pentecostal Holiness Church, Bible Life Church and Evangel Pentecostal Church, Our Lady of Tarkwa Bay Catholic Church. A number of their activities and impacts are evident in life on the beach presently.

Last words on the documentary of Tarkwa Bay Island

Finally, as you can see there are in-born and associated problems in the Tarkwa Bay Island and also amazing investment opportunities in this community. As an NGO, this is the perfect opportunity to extend your arm of help and assistance to this unique island and as an investor, move away from the hustle of Lagos to a more serene environment where you can invest with amazing ROI for your money.

I've got more amazing pictures on the blog. Please check them out as well. I am sure this content will blow you away!

http://deedeesblog.com/tarkwa-bay-island-2018-shocking-story-behind-an-amazing-community/

absolute trash...government abandoned them...yet i can see public water tanks there...you talk of public toilet....where in lagos state can you get access to public toilet...church and ngo coming to their aid...you mean using them for personal gains...because i did not see any projects constructed by any church or NGO in your post...stop playing politics with your post...if not,your blog will die like a candle.

3 Likes

Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by newjosboy: 4:01pm On May 23, 2018
[quote author=Besyroy post=67811140][/quote]this your data rates are they for real?
Re: Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community by HallaDaTruth: 4:09pm On May 23, 2018
We have a great country but leaders without vision

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Inter State Movement May Resume June 21 - Bashir Ahmad / Ibadan: Completed 7.3 Km Agodi Gate-old Ife Road-adegbayi Junction(pics) / A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.