Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,530 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:51 PM

Bonds Investors Hub - Investment (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Bonds Investors Hub (51357 Views)

Nigeria Bonds Rise After Tinubu Subsidy Removal / Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? / Nigeria Bonds Rise After Buhari Presidential Election Win (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by wuwu2: 6:58am On Aug 29, 2019
ernie4life:

I have replied, Check your email
Thanks boss. On it rt away

1 Like

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by shogbenga: 2:03pm On Sep 01, 2019
awesomeJ:

Bonds are kinda sold in units with each unit having a face value.
so if you buy a 15% APR 2023 FGN bond with 10m at its original price, you'd be having 100,000 units of the bond, and since the coupon is 15%, your annual interest would be 1.5m

Now when you buy at the secondary market, you often don't buy at the original unit price. You may get to buy at say N90 per unit, which implies that you'd only be paying 9m to get thesame 100,000 units.

But at the end of the year, both you who bought at 9m and the other person that bought at 10m, you'd each get 1.5m as interest, because you hold the same number of units. But while his own yield is 15%(1.5m on 10m input), yours is 16.67%(1.5m on 9m input)

So coupon rate indicates the rate at which interest is paid on a bond based on its face value, while yield indicates the actual rate of returns to an investor.

The coupon rate is always indicated in the name of most bonds, and it doesn't change throughout the lifetime of the bond.

Only changes in purchase prices bring about changes in yields to bond investors.

Bonds bought at prices below their face values have higher yields, and vice versa.

Kindly ask for any further clarification if....
thanks AwesomejErnie4life and other gurus for the insights. Meanwhile I need some clarification. Does it mean that the Yield should serve as reference point in determining which coupon gives the highest return. Meaning that one should go for coupon with the highest yield viz a viz the tenor. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by ernie4life(m): 2:34pm On Sep 01, 2019
shogbenga:
thanks AwesomejErnie4life and other gurus for the insights. Meanwhile I need some clarification. Does it mean that the Yield should serve as reference point in determining which coupon gives the highest return. Meaning that one should go for coupon with the highest yield viz a viz the tenor. Thanks

Go for the one with the highest offer yield and not just coupon
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by shogbenga: 6:44pm On Sep 01, 2019
ernie4life:

Go for the one with the highest offer yield and not just coupon
thanks
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by DMerciful(m): 3:27am On Sep 09, 2019
Hi All,

I noticed I did not receive my bond coupon that normally comes July. Anybody experience something similar?
Can anybody help with a solution?
Thanks
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by olujaidi: 6:34am On Sep 09, 2019
DMerciful:
Hi All,

I noticed I did not receive my bond coupon that normally comes July. Anybody experience something similar?
Can anybody help with a solution?
Thanks

Perhaps it came on the last working day in June? Confirm from your statement

1 Like

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by DMerciful(m): 11:36pm On Sep 09, 2019
Thanks very much. Saw it now.
olujaidi:

Perhaps it came on the last working day in June? Confirm from your statement
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by olujaidi: 6:27am On Sep 10, 2019
DMerciful:
Thanks very much. Saw it now.

How did you miss that? You don't receive alerts??
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by DMerciful(m): 8:07am On Sep 10, 2019
Surprisingly it never came, even transactions details never showed it but downloaded statement
olujaidi:

How did you miss that? You don't receive alerts??
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by DaBogu: 2:29pm On Sep 13, 2019
You said it.
Egie4real:
I will be interested in such (visionscape) after 2019 elections because they are highly politically exposed.

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by DaBogu: 2:34pm On Sep 13, 2019
awesomeJ:

You can always buy bonds on any given day at the secondary market through your banks, brokers or investment houses.
The issue we're trying to walk around is the minimum investment threshold.

So far we have:
FSDH 50m
GTI securities 100m
Afrinvest 20m
FGN BOND Primary market 50m
FirstBank Eurobonds $100k
Most other Eurobonds $200k
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by DaBogu: 2:45pm On Sep 13, 2019
I just saw this tread today and found it so educative. I took my time to read from page 1 to d current page & all I want to say now is well-done to all the contributors. please keep updating us on d latest especially when the fgn bond is open. planning to invest some day. thanks a lo
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by shogbenga: 6:11am On Sep 14, 2019
Awesomej, ernie4life and other gurus....I asked this question in another thread but since this deals with bond, I need your guidance......I am selling a property and I expect about close to 20m from the transaction. Selling because of tenant issue, maintenance etc.
Kindly advise on which to invest the money on between TB and Bond. I am ready to go long term as far as 20 years considering the proceed is from a property. Which one will give higher returns. Thanks
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by ernie4life(m): 7:34am On Sep 14, 2019
shogbenga:
Awesomej, ernie4life and other gurus....I asked this question in another thread but since this deals with bond, I need your guidance......I am selling a property and I expect about close to 20m from the transaction. Selling because of tenant issue, maintenance etc.
Kindly advise on which to invest the money on between TB and Bond. I am ready to go long term as far as 20 years considering the proceed is from a property. Which one will give higher returns. Thanks

For now we could say bonds will give you better returns but 20 years is a very long time and anything can happen.
A few years ago treasury bills was giving about 22%, so how sure are we that in the next 20 years that such a thing won't happen.

If the funds was more your best strategy would be "don't put all your eggs in one basket" 75% of your portfolio in bonds and the other 25% in money market which includes treasury bills and commercial papers.

1 Like

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by shogbenga: 1:45pm On Sep 15, 2019
Thanks. I appreciate
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by decargne: 2:26pm On Sep 15, 2019
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by DaBogu: 9:35am On Sep 16, 2019
I have answered your question in the other thread
decargne:
Good day, please my friend ask me to help him ask the following questions, he doesn't have an account here and doesn't want to register.
1. what is the minimum amount needed to put in for a five year FG bonds
2. How would one go about it, is registration with a stockbroker compulsory particularly if one has a mutual fund account with a bank like standbic?

please we have read all the pages on bond investors hub thread and those on the DMO page but the answers to these questions seem not to be clear. please help. thanks
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by DaBogu: 9:36am On Sep 16, 2019
ernie4life:

For now we could say bonds will give you better returns but 20 years is a very long time and anything can happen.
A few years ago treasury bills was giving about 22%, so how sure are we that in the next 20 years that such a thing won't happen.

If the funds was more your best strategy would be "don't put all your eggs in one basket" 75% of your portfolio in bonds and the other 25% in money market which includes treasury bills and commercial papers.
The bolded how can one go about it
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by ernie4life(m): 10:00am On Sep 16, 2019
DaBogu:
The bolded how can one go about it

commercial papers is the equivalent of treasury bills for corporate organizations

see the thread below
https://www.nairaland.com/5010648/commercial-papers
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by decargne: 2:16pm On Sep 16, 2019
DaBogu:
I have answered your question in the other thread

1 Like

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by DaBogu: 2:55pm On Sep 16, 2019
20m
decargne:

thanks alot. I was inquiring about fg bonds not saving bonds. so if I get you correctly, an individual with about 5m would not meet the minimum amount for fg bonds right?
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by shogbenga: 6:58am On Sep 17, 2019
DaBogu:
20m
Go to stanbic, with 5m, you will get fgn bond from the secondary market

4 Likes

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by DaBogu: 8:42am On Sep 17, 2019
ok
shogbenga:

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by DaBogu: 11:18am On Sep 17, 2019
Thank you.
shogbenga:

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by OgogoroFreak(m): 11:18am On Sep 17, 2019
shogbenga:

federal government bond or savings bond?
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by ImperialCovfefe: 2:17am On Sep 23, 2019
ImperialCovfefe:

It just means you would pay a little bit more than the quoted price.

You can seek clarification from your stockbroker and/or read here: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/dirtyprice.asp

Here is an illustration.

Regards.

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by ImperialCovfefe: 2:46am On Sep 23, 2019
decargne:
Good day, please my friend ask me to help him ask the following questions, he doesn't have an account here and doesn't want to register.
1. what is the minimum amount needed to put in for a five year FG bonds
2. How would one go about it, is registration with a stockbroker compulsory particularly if one has a mutual fund account with a bank like standbic?

please we have read all the pages on bond investors hub thread and those on the DMO page but the answers to these questions seem not to be clear. please help. thanks

ARM securities will purchase FGN bonds from DMO auctions for you for N5m.

Clarity is hard to obtain in Naija finance, it seems. The best thing to do when seeking information is to call up the brokerage houses and ask for what you want. Some of them include ARM securities, IONE, Stanbic securities, FBN securities, amongst others.

1 Like

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by ImperialCovfefe: 3:10am On Sep 23, 2019
shogbenga:

You want to have diversification, liquidity, and good cashflow.

I will suggest you put 50% into the (very liquid) 10-year FGN bond, 25% into 1-year treasury bills, and the other 25% into Stanbic IBTC dollar fund (~7% total returns per year, minimum investment of $1000).

Have the dividends from the dollar fund reinvested, while the semi-annual coupon payments from the bond can be added to the Tbill when you rollover annually.

2 Likes

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by decargne: 3:49am On Oct 03, 2019
shogbenga:

Good day, thanks for your response.
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by Yomit2(m): 4:27am On Oct 03, 2019
Hi guys. Please which eurobond is currently available? Is it possible to buy eurobond from my gtb account as I am currently not in Nigeria?
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by ernie4life(m): 5:03am On Oct 03, 2019
Yomit2:
Hi guys. Please which eurobond is currently available? Is it possible to buy eurobond from my gtb account as I am currently not in Nigeria?

You may need to confirm from your bank to know there Minimum and which bonds the can get for you.

But regardless of where you are, you can still buy from an asset management firm, so long as you can make transfers to them

1 Like

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by Yomit2(m): 4:28pm On Oct 03, 2019
[quote author=ernie4life post=82788700]

You may need to confirm from your bank to know there Minimum and which bonds the can get for you.

But regardless of where you are, you can still buy from an asset management firm, so long as you can make

Thanks so much.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc / NAIRALANDERS: Be Careful Of Where You Invest Your Money On This Platform. / MMM Yet To Pay Participants 72 Hours After Comeback

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.