Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years (6374 Views)

Zimbabwe’s Mugabe Shouts “we Are Not Gays!” During U.N. Speech / Understand The Israeli – Palestinian Apartheid In 11 Images / Zimbabwe's Mr. Ugly 2012 Reclaims Title (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by Beaf: 12:10am On May 28, 2010
[size=14pt]Zimbabwe grows for first time in 11 years[/size]
By Tony Hawkins in Harare
Published: May 26 2010 16:54 | Last updated: May 26 2010 16:54

Zimbabwe has recorded its first year of economic growth for more than a decade, a report from the International Monetary Fund said.
Gross domestic product rose 4 per cent last year, the first expansion in 11 years, while prices rose 6.5 per cent. In previous years, by contrast, inflation was measured in millions of per cent and the country’s economy regularly shrank 5-10 per cent.

But the IMF gave a generally downbeat assessment of the state of the country’s economy, urging the coalition government led by Robert Mugabe, the president, to adopt reforms or risk long-term stagnation.

In its base case scenario, the IMF projects annual growth of less than 1.5 per cent until 2015. Zimbabwe needs “a significant improvement” in its business climate, says the IMF, notably by enforcing property rights, seeking international debt relief and enforcing labour laws. Mr Mugabe has damaged investor confidence by promising to enforce a law requiring all foreign or white-owned companies with assets above $500,000 (€408,500, £348,000) to hand over 51 per cent of their shares to “indigenous” Zimbabweans.

The IMF warns about public finances, saying Zimbabwe is in “debt distress” with $4.6bn of arrears, a sum which can realistically be cleared only with agreed debt relief. The government should tighten its fiscal stance by some 3 per cent of GDP and reimpose cash budgeting on ministries, which has been allowed to lapse.

The key challenge is to trim public sector wages by 1 per cent of GDP by laying off workers. The IMF says that with its “active policy” reform scenario, annual growth should accelerate to 5 per cent. But government ministers are instead predicting highly optimistic double-digit rates of growth.

The central problem is the fragile political situation: the coalition government brings together Mr Mugabe’s Zanu-PF party with its former opponent the Movement for Democratic Change, led by Morgan Tsvangirai, the prime minister. Parts of the administration are virtually paralysed, rendering it difficult to implement unpopular reforms, such as public sector retrenchments, spending cuts and possibly a wage freeze.

Mr Tsvangirai has already rejected a wage freeze, while ministers loyal to Mr Mugabe oppose seeking debt relief under the Heavily Indebted Poor Country initiative (HIPC). They believe Zimbabwe’s mineral wealth, especially gold, platinum and diamonds, is sufficient to cover its debt arrears – an assessment the IMF rejects.
Mugabe remains central obstacle to economic reform
Zimbabwe’s coalition government, filled with bitter political foes, has returned the country to economic growth but failed to preside over any real reforms.
In theory, Robert Mugabe, the president, governs with Morgan Tsvangirai, the prime minister and leader of the Movement for Democratic Change. In practice, analysts believe true power still lies with 86-year-old Mr Mugabe.
He has simply overridden Mr Tsvangirai’s objections and introduced a law that deters investment by compelling the transfer of ownership of foreign and white-owned companies. Economic stabilisation owes much to the abandonment of the national currency after years of hyperinflation.
But this decision, taken in January last year, predates the birth of the coalition.
The key obstacle to reform remains Mr Mugabe, who shows no sign of wishing to step down.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by Beaf: 12:11am On May 28, 2010
Shock! Horror! grin
The imperialistic IMF is actually sad that an African country can grow without colonial help. Shock! Horror! grin
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by Afam(m): 9:25am On May 28, 2010
Beaf:

Shock! Horror! grin
The imperialistic IMF is actually sad that an African country can grow without colonial help. Shock! Horror! grin

Exactly. Thank God for the likes of Mugabe. I only hope that we have more leaders like him in Africa who would put the country and its citizens first instead of taking instructions from No 10 Downing street and the White House.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by Lwandle(m): 4:43pm On May 28, 2010
But the IMF gave a generally downbeat assessment of the state of the country’s economy, urging the coalition government led by Robert Mugabe, the president, to adopt reforms or risk long-term stagnation.

REFORM REFORM is exactly what we have and are actively doing with our economy long gone are the days where we are nothing but mere chattels on our own land benefitting nothing from our GOD given resources!!!

Zimbabwe needs “a significant improvement” in its business climate, says the IMF, notably by enforcing property rights, seeking international debt relief and enforcing labour laws.

There has been a more then significant improvement in our business climate and we are forging ahead with completely indigenizing all aspects of our economy no thanks to IMF.

Mr Mugabe has damaged investor confidence by promising to enforce a law requiring all foreign or white-owned companies with assets above $500,000 (€408,500, £348,000) to hand over 51 per cent of their shares to “indigenous” Zimbabweans

Investor confidence our BLACK BACKSIDES if 49% is to little for the greedy bastards let them go where they are allowed to take out 100%

The IMF warns about public finances, saying Zimbabwe is in “debt distress” with $4.6bn of arrears, a sum which can realistically be cleared only with agreed debt relief.

HIGHLY INDEBTED COUNTRY Programme is just a new ESAP where poor countries relinquish all aspects of their economies to these BLOOD SUCKING IMFs WBs etc we say no thank you.

The key challenge is to trim public sector wages by 1 per cent of GDP by laying off workers. The IMF says that with its “active policy” reform scenario, annual growth should accelerate to 5 per cent. But government ministers are instead predicting highly optimistic double-digit rates of growth.

In theory, Robert Mugabe, the president, governs with Morgan Tsvangirai, the prime minister and leader of the Movement for Democratic Change. In practice, analysts believe true power still lies with 86-year-old Mr Mugabe.
He has simply overridden Mr Tsvangirai’s objections and introduced a law that deters investment by compelling the transfer of ownership of foreign and white-owned companies. [/color]

[color=#000099]WE AS A PEOPLE WOULD RATHER BE POOR AND BROKE WITH OUR RESOURCES IN OUR OWN CONTROL THEN TO ALLOW SOME GREEDY FOREIGNERS COME AND DESPOIL US OF OUR RESOURCES.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by MyJoe: 4:55pm On May 28, 2010
I can understand a Nigerian applauding Mugabe for Zimbabwe's growth. After all, when NEPA restores the light after holding on to it for two months we sing their praises. Zimbabwe, once the food basket of its region, is now a decrepit, desultory, impecunious, tiny dictatorship ruled by an autocratic, gerontocratic, megalomaniac, who, because he is old and close to his grave, has no qualms taking many young people along with him as long as he remains "His Excellency" unto death. Anyway, my sympathies are with the people of Zimbabwe.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by Afam(m): 5:33pm On May 28, 2010
MyJoe:

I can understand a Nigerian applauding Mugabe for Zimbabwe's growth. After all, when NEPA restores the light after holding on to it for two months we sing their praises. Zimbabwe, once the food basket of its region, is now a decrepit, desultory, impecunious, tiny dictatorship ruled by an autocratic, gerontocratic, megalomaniac, who, because he is old and close to his grave, has no qualms taking many young people along with him as long as he remains "His Excellency" unto death. Anyway, my sympathies are with the people of Zimbabwe.

But the people of Zimbabwe don't need your sympathies and have made that clear by choosing to stick with Mugabe and to move the economy forward in spite of all the conspiracy by the World bank and IMF to strangulate the economy even when the economic melt down messed up the economies of a lot of countries that the so called IMF and World band were assisting.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by makajibbz(m): 5:37pm On May 28, 2010
MyJoe:

small,small, you sha won make we know say u be lecturer, na wa o
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by Lwandle(m): 5:42pm On May 28, 2010
MyJoe:

MyJoe your sympathies are definately not with the Zimbabwean people but are with the likes of IMF, WB, BBC, CNN and the defacto rulers of this world.
In fact we do not need your sympathies instead keep them for your own fellow countrymen whom I believe need it much more then we do.
Nothing in this world comes easy thank goodness the worst of it is over for now but the journey is still long indeed.

Zimbabweans are moving from a stage of being nothing but chattels on their own land moving from being spectators as others played football with their GOD given WEALTH to being turned into players themselves. Who ever said empowering and freeing yourself from the clutches of imperialism is a simple walk in the park lied. Noone who has been benefitting from someone elses TALENTS and LABOUR would ever want to freely let go of his ill gotten benefits.

The white man reminisces of the MUGABE of old who in the 80s' and 90s' kowtowed and served his interests whilst subdueing his own black people.
The MUGABE upon whom they conferred KNIGHTHOODS and honorary degrees for his being a good NIGGER who protected and served their interests diligently, THE MUGABE they called a STATESMAN even as he killed and subdued ruthlessly all his opponents in the 80s'lol!!!

Of course they have a reason to hate this new MUGABE who has seen the error of his ways and has worked tirelssly to right the wrongs of yesteryear by working tirelessly to empower his own people the indegenes of ZIMBABWE,
Africans we need to open our eyes and minds and not be fooled anymore.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by MyJoe: 6:24pm On May 28, 2010
Lwandle:

MyJoe your sympathies are definately not with the Zimbabwean people but are with the likes of IMF, WB, BBC, CNN and the defacto rulers of this world.
This is not based on rational thinking but a desire to slight me, since I said nothing in praise of the IMF or the other alphabetical organisations you mentioned. . .

Lwandle:
In fact we do not need your sympathies instead keep them for your own fellow countrymen whom I believe need it much more then we do.
Nothing in this world comes easy thank goodness the worst of it is over for now but the journey is still long indeed.
. . . Or maybe you misunderstand "sympathies". But never mind that.

Lwandle:
Zimbabweans are moving from a stage of being nothing but chattels on their own land moving from being spectators as others played football with their GOD given WEALTH to being turned into players themselves. Who ever said empowering and freeing yourself from the clutches of imperialism is a simple walk in the park lied. Noone who has been benefitting from someone elses TALENTS and LABOUR would ever want to freely let go of his ill gotten benefits.

The white man reminisces of the MUGABE of old who in the 80s' and 90s' kowtowed and served his interests whilst subdueing his own black people.
The MUGABE upon whom they conferred KNIGHTHOODS and honorary degrees for his being a good NIGGER who protected and served their interests diligently, THE MUGABE they called a STATESMAN even as he killed and subdued ruthlessly all his opponents in the 80s'lol!!!
You see what I said earlier? NEPA goes for two days, then comes back and my people sing their praises. Why did Mugabe do nothing to resolve an ugly land situation for more than 15 years? Why did it take his loss of a poll and the prospect of losing an election to goad him into seizing lands? Why was this done with so much violence and chaos, plunging the country into anarchy, unproductiveness and economic depression? What's between Mugage and power that would make him let a tiny minority control the bulk of his country's land as long as that, in his thinking, guaranteed him political power and invitations to Buckingham Palace and then turn round and send "war veterans" to storm farms and private homes of opposition supporters just because he was likely to lose an election?

Lwandle:
Of course they have a reason to hate this new MUGABE who has seen the error of his ways and has worked tirelssly to right the wrongs of yesteryear by working tirelessly to empower his own people the indegenes of ZIMBABWE,
Africans we need to open our eyes and minds and not be fooled anymore.
I don't have any illusions about the Europeans. And I know the ignoble role Britain has played in Zimbabwe's land problem. But if you think you have a brand new Mugabe who suddenly realised the error of his ways and found an innate love for the poor and dispossessed of Zimbabwe; if you think Mugabe cares about the Zimbabwean people nearly as much as the fineries of state power; if you think it is not the same cynical Mugabe who outmaneuvered Joshua Nkomo and massacred Zimbabweans in Matabeleland, I think YOU, sir, need to open your eyes and not be fooled anymore.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by MyJoe: 6:37pm On May 28, 2010
Afam:

But the people of Zimbabwe don't need your sympathies and have made that clear by choosing to stick with Mugabe and to move the economy forward in spite of all the conspiracy by the World bank and IMF to strangulate the economy even when the economic melt down messed up the economies of a lot of countries that the so called IMF and World band were assisting.
No, they don't need my sympathies. And I don't offer them my sympathies in those terms. But, here, sir, MY SYMPATHIES ARE WITH THE STRUGGLING PEOPLE OF ZIMBABWE.

And while I don't think much of the IMF, it is quite convenient to blame them for what befalls the likes of Mugabeland without offering a shred of fact that they had anything to do with Zimbabwe's problems.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by Afam(m): 8:44pm On May 28, 2010
MyJoe:

And while I don't think much of the IMF, it is quite convenient to blame them for what befalls the likes of Mugabeland without offering a shred of fact that they had anything to do with Zimbabwe's problems.

Tell me the quote above was a mistake?
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by Lwandle(m): 9:08pm On May 28, 2010
No he is not a BRAND new MUGABE MyJoe he is a man who realised in good time that he was just a pawn being played 10-0.

He was in fact caught between a rock(war veterans) and a hard place (read west) he made his choice and decided to do right by it. The consequences have been dire for the whole country but at least it was done before the powers that be got their puppet party in government.

Noone is perfect we all Bleep up from time to time but when you see your so called friends funding and sponsoring a new party whose sole aim is to unseat you and privatise the whole country by means of destroying our currency and economy through sanctions then its important to fight and frustrae them a every turn no matter what.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by Beaf: 11:23pm On May 28, 2010
MyJoe:

Food basket? With cash crops, like tobacco and flowers? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Charlie, are you a joker or just practicing to be one?
Why is it that we Africans are suffering such an immense identity crisis that we never attempt to sift wheat from chaff? Anything derogatory the Western press says about us, some of us are willing to echo to incredible decibel levels without a thought.

. . .Unbelievable! I need panadol, I have a headache!
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by jamace(m): 4:38am On May 29, 2010
The bones shall rise again. cool
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by Kobojunkie: 7:24am On May 29, 2010
UNTIL 2000, ZIMBABWE WAS the breadbasket of Africa, exporting [size=13pt]wheat, tobacco, and corn to the rest of the continent and beyond[/size]. Zimbabwe contains the most fertile farmland on the continent, and until recently was a tourist Mecca, home of Victoria Falls, one the seven natural wonders of the world, and numerous game reserves, now nearly emptied by poachers and starving peasants. The newly independent country had yet more advantages, including excellent transportation and banking systems for its agricultural, mining, and tourism industries.

http://spectator.org/archives/2005/04/13/from-breadbasket-to-dustbowl
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by Beaf: 12:23am On May 30, 2010
Kobojunkie:

UNTIL 2000, ZIMBABWE WAS the breadbasket of Africa, exporting wheat, tobacco, and corn to the rest of the continent and beyond. Zimbabwe contains the most fertile farmland on the continent, and until recently was a tourist Mecca, home of Victoria Falls, one the seven natural wonders of the world, and numerous game reserves, now nearly emptied by poachers and starving peasants. The newly independent country had yet more advantages, including excellent transportation and banking systems for its agricultural, mining, and tourism industries.

http://spectator.org/archives/2005/04/13/from-breadbasket-to-dustbowl

Doesn't the bolded sound funny to you? "Breadbasket of Africa"?! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Has the beans that iya akara uses to concoct her recipe ever come from Zim? Or is yam for dundu or cassava for usi from Zim? Is the corn in guguru from Nsukka or Zim? The above already rules out 25% of Africa's population (Nigeria).

Your post does not state your position, so one could assume the sensible option that you are mocking the hollowness of the article you quoted. "Breadbasket of Africa!" Indeed! What would we call neighbouring agro heavyweight countries like Mauritius, Tanzania, Uganda, South Africa (produces 9 times more corn than Zim shocked)?

The quote below gives actual figures to Zimbabwes food production up till the early 2000's (even though its another biased article);

In the early 1990s, drought severely affected the output of every crop except tobacco. Corn, wheat, cotton, oilseed, coffee, and sugar outputs all declined by at least 75%. Tobacco production in 2001 was 172,111 tons. Corn production in 1999 totaled only 1,520,000 tons, down from 2,609,200 tons in 1996. In years with adequate rainfall, Zimbabwe is one of Africa's largest corn exporters.

Quantities of cotton both for export and to supply domestic textile manufacture sharply expanded before the most recent drought. In 1999, cotton production totaled 103,000 tons. Marketed production figures of other crops in 1999 were wheat, 320,000; sorghum, 88,000; soybeans, 107,000; peanuts, 113,000; coffee, 10,000; and sunflower seeds, 30,000. Rice, potatoes, tea, and pyrethrum are also grown.

Read more: Agriculture - Zimbabwe - export, area, crops http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/Africa/Zimbabwe-AGRICULTURE.html#ixzz0pMTVzfBa
http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/Africa/Zimbabwe-AGRICULTURE.html

This is the encouraging picture of Zimbabwe's growing economy as painted by the US State Dept.;

GDP (2009 IMF est.): U.S. $3.6 billion.
Real GDP growth rate (2009 IMF est.): 3.7%.
GDP per capita (2009 IMF est., U.S. dollars, current prices): $303.
Avg. inflation rate (2009 IMF estimate): 9%.
Natural resources: Deposits of more than 40 minerals including ferrochrome, gold, silver, platinum, copper, asbestos; 19 million hectares of forest (2000).
Agriculture (19% of GDP): Types of crops and livestock--corn, cotton, tobacco, wheat, coffee, tea, sugarcane, peanuts, cattle, sheep, goats, pigs.
[size=14pt]Industry (24% of GDP): Manufacturing, public administration, commerce, mining, transport and communication.[/size]
Trade (2009): U.S. exports--U.S. $85.5 million. U.S. imports--U.S. $22.1 million. Partners (2008 est.)--South Africa 32%, Democratic Republic of the Congo 10%, Botswana 9%, China 6%, Zambia 5%, U.S. 4%. Total imports (2009)--U.S. $2.03 billion: most of these imports were food, machinery, fertilizers, and general manufactured products. Major suppliers--South Africa 60%, China 4%, Botswana 4%.
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/5479.htm
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by Afam(m): 7:17am On May 30, 2010
Beaf:

Doesn't the bolded sound funny to you? "Breadbasket of Africa"?! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Has the beans that iya akara uses to concoct her recipe ever come from Zim? Or is yam for dundu or cassava for usi from Zim? Is the corn in guguru from Nsukka or Zim? The above already rules out 25% of Africa's population (Nigeria).

Your post does not state your position, so one could assume the sensible option that you are mocking the hollowness of the article you quoted. "Breadbasket of Africa!" Indeed! What would we call neighbouring agro heavyweight countries like Mauritius, Tanzania, Uganda, South Africa (produces 9 times more corn than Zim shocked)?

The quote below gives actual figures to Zimbabwes food production up till the early 2000's (even though its another biased article);
http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/Africa/Zimbabwe-AGRICULTURE.html

This is the encouraging picture of Zimbabwe's growing economy as painted by the US State Dept.;
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/5479.htm

Tell them abeg.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by MyJoe: 1:56pm On Jun 01, 2010
All this fixation with the phrase “food basket” which has little to with the discussion? If I understand you correctly, what you saying is that a country that produces enough food to feed itself and to export does not qualify as a “food basket” in its region, or that you have to be ahead of the likes of South Africa to qualify. Ok.

Afam:

Tell me the quote above was a mistake?
This must be a novel method of refuting points. But, perhaps, you are still up to the task of giving particulars of how the IMF and the World Bank conspired against Zimbabwe and the roles they played in plunging Zimbabwe into its crisis? And, er. . . this is not a mistake.

Lwandle:

No he is not a BRAND new MUGABE MyJoe he is a man who realised in good time that he was just a pawn being played 10-0.

He was in fact caught between a rock(war veterans) and a hard place (read west) he made his choice and decided to do right by it. The consequences have been dire for the whole country but at least it was done before the powers that be got their puppet party in government.

Noone is perfect we all bleep up from time to time but when you see your so called friends funding and sponsoring a new party whose sole aim is to unseat you and privatise the whole country by means of destroying our currency and economy through sanctions then its important to fight and frustrae them a every turn no matter what.
You are saying that the war veterans woke up from sleep after nearly twenty years and put pressure on Mugabe? This is untrue. Perhaps you have forgotten and I need to remind you. It was Mugabe who ordered the veterans into the farms when he realised he was about to lose an election. I recall the words of the late Chenjerai “Hitler” Hunzi, then leader of the veterans, when confronted on why he was disobeying court orders to leave the farms: “I cannot disobey my president.”

I don't know about funding and sponsorship but I do know dictators often label opposition parties in order to harass them. I am not convinced Mugabe and the other primitive accumulators in Zanu-PF or their enforcers in the Army love Zimbabwe more than former labour leader Tsvangirai, or the cerebral and fearless student union leader-turned-politician Tendai Biti, or the irrepressible student union leader turned-brilliant scientist-turned-politician Arthur Mutambara. If Mugabe has any love for Zimbabweans he has not demonstrated it. He comes across as a cynical, calculating dictator driven by an unbridled lust for power. In the early days he preached reconciliation with the whites – so far so good. The West praised him. But then he let the white farmers be - a betrayal considering the fact that it was land that Zimbabweans fought bravely for. During the negotiations at Lancaster House the issue of land was discussed extensively and settled. Land was to be redistributed to the landless black majority and Britain was to help pay compensation to the white farmers. When the British selfishly reneged on this agreement what did Mugabe do to try to seek redress? Nothing. He did not not seriously pursue the matter, drag Downing Street to the UN or anything. He did nothing. If he had stood up then and insisted on an orderly land redistribution many would have supported him. If he had called Britain names then he would have found many allies right across the world. But he was happy to let his people suffer deprivation just so long as that guaranteed him the status he just acquired as the Great African Statesman with regular invitations to London and other European capitals.

Then one day he realises he is about to lose an election and cynically starts talking about land. He orders his friends into the farms to beat up, kill, burn and loot. A few white farmers and their Zimbabwean workers are murdered. People become jobless. Seized farms are given to government cronies with little or preparation for the project and most become unproductive. The economy collapses overnight. Elections become “do-or-die” as war veterans and Zanu-PF youths maim and kill opposition supporters. This is what our people are applauding. “A great black leader is taking back land from whites.” I do not buy it.

I think the mistake you and many others make is in failing to realise that oppression has no colour. It does not matter whether an enslaver is named Leopold, Cecil Rhodes, Verwoerd, Babangida, Abacha, Margaret Thatcher, Ian Smith or Robert Mugabe.  Mugabe has got the same mindset that drove Ian Smith and the other snooty white rulers of Rhodesia. This is what we disagree on. It is not whether or not the British like us or not. When people come here talking about how the British do not like Zimbabwe I take it they have nothing better to do with their time since no one is under the illusion that the British government was elected to put our interest before theirs.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by Beaf: 5:32pm On Jun 01, 2010
MyJoe:

All this fixation with the phrase “food basket” which has little to with the discussion? If I understand you correctly, what you saying is that a country that produces enough food to feed itself and to export does not qualify as a “food basket” in its region, or that you have to be ahead of the likes of South Africa to qualify. Ok.

If you don't know the meaning of the phrase "food basket", you should really withhold commenting on it.

As for the rest of your argument, please ponder the following for a good few weeks (the same sort of deification has been happening to Mandela);

In 1994 Mugabe was appointed an honorary Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Bath by Queen Elizabeth II

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Mugabe

Mugabe is an African hero who was imprisoned for his passion of freedom from apartheid Rhodesia. He has gone on to show that Zimbabwe can develop and flourish on its own. They don't need the West.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by MyJoe: 5:40pm On Jun 01, 2010
Beaf:

If you don't know the meaning of the phrase "food basket", you should really withhold commenting on it.
I think you are eminently misguided in your apprehension of the phrase as used in that context. But I see this sort of hair splitting is food around here. Have fun.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by Beaf: 5:45pm On Jun 01, 2010
MyJoe:

I think you are eminently misguided in your apprehension of the phrase as used in that context. But I see this sort of hair splitting is food around here. Have fun.

Hair splitting? Shame, its the overlooked detail that sells the soul.
Zimbabwe has never been a food basket or bread basket in her region and that is plain fact. Being self sufficient (as you tried to twist it) is very far from being a basket your neighbours rely on, but hey! Western hype and a bare faced lies against fellow Africans are in order.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by MyJoe: 6:13pm On Jun 01, 2010
Beaf:

Hair splitting? Shame, its the overlooked detail that sells the soul.
Zimbabwe has never been a food basket or bread basket in her region and that is plain fact. Being self sufficient (as you tried to twist it) is very far from being a basket your neighbours rely on, but hey! Western hype and a bare faced lies against fellow Africans are in order.
Nobody said their neighbours relied on them. They were behind South Africa in food production but well ahead of the likes of Zambia, Malawi, Namibia and other countries in the region, some of which still EXPORT food today. If you are not aware that Zimbabwe used to EXPORT food then you missed an important fact. How, in any case, do you compare the situation that obtains today to being self-sufficient (as YOU twist it)? Anyway, I will leave you to continue your pursuit of this very crucial but overlooked detail now. I have already addressed the important issues on this thread in my response to Lwandle.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by Beaf: 6:36pm On Jun 01, 2010
MyJoe:

Nobody said their neighbours relied on them. They were behind South Africa in food production but well ahead of the likes of Zambia, Malawi, Namibia and other countries in the region, some of which still EXPORT food today. If you are not aware that Zimbabwe [size=14pt]used to EXPORT food[/size] then you missed an important fact. How, in any case, do you compare the situation that obtains today to being self-sufficient (as YOU twist it)? Anyway, I will leave you to continue your pursuit of this very crucial but overlooked detail now. I have already addressed the important issues on this thread in my response to Lwandle.

Really now!
Do you realise that [size=14pt]Zimbabwe still exports food[/size] today? There was a drought that affected corn crop throughout South Africa, it was not just Zimbabwe that suffered, there were huge food problems in Malawi, Kenya etc, because corn is their staple food there.
Zim actually suspended the export of basic commodities like cooking oil, sugar, rice and some manufactured items. Are you saying Zim was importing those food items for re-export? Duh!

Since Zimbabwe still exports food today, why are they not still a "bread basket"? ==scratches head in awe==
Drop the rightwing Western propaganda,
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by Afam(m): 12:11pm On Jun 02, 2010
MyJoe:

This must be a novel method of refuting points. But, perhaps, you are still up to the task of giving particulars of how the IMF and the World Bank conspired against Zimbabwe and the roles they played in plunging Zimbabwe into its crisis? And, er. . . this is not a mistake.
You are saying that the war veterans woke up from sleep after nearly twenty years and put pressure on Mugabe? This is untrue. Perhaps you have forgotten and I need to remind you. It was Mugabe who ordered the veterans into the farms when he realised he was about to lose an election. I recall the words of the late Chenjerai “Hitler” Hunzi, then leader of the veterans, when confronted on why he was disobeying court orders to leave the farms: “I cannot disobey my president.”

I don't know about funding and sponsorship but I do know dictators often label opposition parties in order to harass them. I am not convinced Mugabe and the other primitive accumulators in Zanu-PF or their enforcers in the Army love Zimbabwe more than former labour leader Tsvangirai, or the cerebral and fearless student union leader-turned-politician Tendai Biti, or the irrepressible student union leader turned-brilliant scientist-turned-politician Arthur Mutambara. If Mugabe has any love for Zimbabweans he has not demonstrated it. He comes across as a cynical, calculating dictator driven by an unbridled lust for power. In the early days he preached reconciliation with the whites – so far so good. The West praised him. But then he let the white farmers be - a betrayal considering the fact that it was land that Zimbabweans fought bravely for. During the negotiations at Lancaster House the issue of land was discussed extensively and settled. Land was to be redistributed to the landless black majority and Britain was to help pay compensation to the white farmers. When the British selfishly reneged on this agreement what did Mugabe do to try to seek redress? Nothing. He did not not seriously pursue the matter, drag Downing Street to the UN or anything. He did nothing. If he had stood up then and insisted on an orderly land redistribution many would have supported him. If he had called Britain names then he would have found many allies right across the world. But he was happy to let his people suffer deprivation just so long as that guaranteed him the status he just acquired as the Great African Statesman with regular invitations to London and other European capitals.

Then one day he realises he is about to lose an election and cynically starts talking about land. He orders his friends into the farms to beat up, kill, burn and loot. A few white farmers and their Zimbabwean workers are murdered. People become jobless. Seized farms are given to government cronies with little or preparation for the project and most become unproductive. The economy collapses overnight. Elections become “do-or-die” as war veterans and Zanu-PF youths maim and kill opposition supporters. This is what our people are applauding. “A great black leader is taking back land from whites.” I do not buy it.

I think the mistake you and many others make is in failing to realise that oppression has no colour. It does not matter whether an enslaver is named Leopold, Cecil Rhodes, Verwoerd, Babangida, Abacha, Margaret Thatcher, Ian Smith or Robert Mugabe.  Mugabe has got the same mindset that drove Ian Smith and the other snooty white rulers of Rhodesia. This is what we disagree on. It is not whether or not the British like us or not. When people come here talking about how the British do not like Zimbabwe I take it they have nothing better to do with their time since no one is under the illusion that the British government was elected to put our interest before theirs.

At a time I thought you were just reading a document sent to you from No 10 Downing Street.

Unfortunately, you have gone way too far in swallowing the propaganda and lies that trying to correct them would not make any sense.

So, feel free to believe the lies and propaganda you just re-read. Enjoy.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by MyJoe: 4:26pm On Jun 02, 2010
Afam:

At a time I thought you were just reading a document sent to you from No 10 Downing Street.

Unfortunately, you have gone way too far in swallowing the propaganda and lies that trying to correct them would not make any sense.

So, feel free to believe the lies and propaganda you just re-read. Enjoy.
Obviously desperate to create the impression you know way too much to bother to substantiate the claims you thoughtlessly throw around, right? Truth is, you find yourself lathered in the froth spewed from your own inward parts in your abortive labour to argue a subject you know nothing about. And so you skim through a write-up and seeing a few things you disagree with conclude it must have be written and emailed by the British Prime Minister. Rather than bring points to the table like you do on this forum in matters you are versed in, you attack the substance and the individual with more froth by throwing around more gibberish. Suits you, Mr Afam.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by Afam(m): 5:37pm On Jun 02, 2010
MyJoe:

Obviously desperate to create the impression you know way too much to bother to substantiate the claims you thoughtlessly throw around, right? Truth is, you find yourself lathered in the froth spewed from your own inward parts in your abortive labour to argue a subject you know nothing about. And so you skim through a write-up and seeing a few things you disagree with conclude it must have be written and emailed by the British Prime Minister. Rather than bring points to the table like you do on this forum in matters you are versed in, you attack the substance and the individual with more froth by throwing around more gibberish. Suits you, Mr Afam.

It seems you misunderstood me.

I have more than enough facts to challenge some of the positions you stated but based on the extent you have gone by repeating some of the popular lies and propaganda it will be an uphill task making you see anything objectively hence my position on this thread.

I respect facts, logic and common sense and I would not waste my time challenging the same lies over and over again because there will not be any end in sight.

Sorry about this as I cannot oblige you. Get rid of the obvious lies and we can debate this.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by MyJoe: 6:09pm On Jun 02, 2010
Afam:

It seems you misunderstood me.

I have more than enough facts to challenge some of the positions you stated but based on the extent you have gone by repeating some of the popular lies and propaganda it will be an uphill task making you see anything objectively hence my position on this thread.

I respect facts, logic and common sense and I would not waste my time challenging the same lies over and over again because there will not be any end in sight.

Sorry about this as I cannot oblige you. Get rid of the obvious lies and we can debate this.
This is the Pavlovian response mode.

It does not avail you in your current situation. You talk of "obvious lies" without even stating what those lies are. It is not everyone that argues to win trophies on this forum, so you show me my errors and see if I won't be the first to acknowledge my them. But you would have since done that if you had anything. So you dance round, scream "mistake" without stating its particulars, and have now resorted to this dishonesty in a search for a convenient way out.

Bottom line is: you do not have any facts to back up your claim that the IMF and the World Bank conspired against Zimbabwe and are responsible for the country's current crisis, or to refute any of the FACTS I stated in my response to Lwandle. Facts, Mr Afam, are different from opinions. Facts are either true or false. They can only be refuted with facts.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by Afam(m): 6:24pm On Jun 02, 2010
MyJoe:

This is the Pavlovian response mode.

It does not avail you in your current situation. You talk of "obvious lies" without even stating what those lies are. It is not everyone that argues to win trophies on this forum, so you show me my errors and see if I won't be the first to acknowledge my them. But you would have since done that if you had anything. So you dance round, scream "mistake" without stating its particulars, and have now resorted to this dishonesty in a search for a convenient way out.

Bottom line is: you do not have any facts to back up your claim that the IMF and the World Bank conspired against Zimbabwe and are responsible for the country's current crisis, or to refute any of the FACTS I stated in my response to Lwandle. Facts, Mr Afam, are different from opinions. Facts are either true or false. They can only be refuted with facts.

My dear, so if you state here now that OBJ is a woman you expect me to provide facts to challenge that? No sir, I will not do so.

For the simple fact that you cannot even admit the role of IMF and World bank in the economy of Zimbabwe is enough reason for me not to debate that with you.

There should be a minimum level of agreement on basic issues before engaging people in debates without which the debate will be meaningless.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by MyJoe: 7:12pm On Jun 02, 2010
Afam:

My dear, so if you state here now that OBJ is a woman you expect me to provide facts to challenge that? No sir, I will not do so.
Your analogy is wild. Comparing what I wrote about the major characters in Zimbabwe's politics to Obj as a woman wholly betrays your complete ignorance of Zimbabwean politics. I think all you know about that country is the fact a black president is taking back lands from white people (a project I have acknowledged its necessity). Full stop. Anything remotely seeking to throw some light on the roles played by characters like Mugabe is not worthy of response but must be dismissed as a piece of propaganda e-mailed from Downing Street, as Mugabe and Jonathan Moyo (till he fell out with Bob) have been trying to portray it. To remind you, you refute facts with facts. You have none here, hence all this shadow-chasing. If someone said Obj was a woman I have no sliver of doubt Afam would produce Obj's picture and other objective facts to refute the lie.

Afam:
For the simple fact that you cannot even admit the role of IMF and World bank in the economy of Zimbabwe is enough reason for me not to debate that with you.
Even if the IMF and the World Bank have played any role in Zimbabwe's economy since this crisis started around 2000, that was not your claim so I could not have admitted or failed to admit that. You said they conspired to strangulate Zimbabwe's economy, meaning they are responsible or, at least, contributed in no small way, as a matter of deliberate policy, to the economic crisis that country has faced over the past decade.

Here is your statement:
Afam:

Afam:
There should be a minimum level of agreement on basic issues before engaging people in debates without which the debate will be meaningless.
This, Mr Afam, is a lie and you know it.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by Beaf: 7:29pm On Jun 02, 2010
@MyJoe
What do you call the fact that Zimbabwe has had all its lines of credit cut by Western sanctions and the IMF? How can any nation survive conventionally if it cannot trade?

It seems you are deliberately refusing to think, because your arguments are more like name dropping. I recall refuting your bread basket theories, and unsurprisingly, you have fallen silent on the matter. How about I remind you (just for the hell of it) that Zimbabwe is still exporting food contrary to your unfounded claims?
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by MyJoe: 7:43pm On Jun 02, 2010
Beaf:

@MyJoe
What do you call the fact that Zimbabwe has had all its lines of credit cut by Western sanctions and the IMF? How can any nation survive conventionally if it cannot trade?
You will have to show how preventing Mugabe and his cronies from travelling to European capitals to smile at cameras or even having "all its lines of credit cut" equals inability to trade. At what point was Zimbabwe not able to trade? Is not loaning money to Zimbabwe using the same criteria used for other countries what your pal calls conspiring to strangulate Zimbabwe's economy?

Beaf:
It seems you are deliberately refusing to think, because your arguments are more like name dropping. I recall refuting your bread basket theories, and unsurprisingly, you have fallen silent on the matter. How about I remind you (just for the hell of it) that Zimbabwe is still exporting food contrary to your unfounded claims?
You refuted nothing. And you did not show how the fact Zimbabwe has now started exporting food (a makeshift coalition government is in place and things have started picking up, which is the subject of your thread) refutes my point that being "self-sufficient" (your words) and exporting food qualifies you as a food basket.

Got to leave here for today.
Re: Zimbabwe Grows For First Time In 11 Years by Beaf: 7:57pm On Jun 02, 2010
MyJoe:

You will have to show how preventing Mugabe and his cronies from travelling to European capitals to smile at cameras or even having "all its lines of credit cut" equals inability to trade. At what point was Zimbabwe not able to trade? Is not loaning money to Zimbabwe using the same criteria used for other countries what your pal calls conspiring to strangulate Zimbabwe's economy?

So that is all you think the sanctions are? shocked No wonder the wretched arguments!

MyJoe:

You refuted nothing. And you did not show how the fact Zimbabwe has now started exporting food (a makeshift coalition government is in place and things have started picking up, which is the subject of your thread) refutes my point that being "self-sufficient" (your words) and exporting food qualifies you as a food basket.

Got to leave here for today.

Stop stretching the truth. Tsvangirai has been bought and has no power. In fact he went on a Western tour to defend Mugabe. And for your information, Zimbabwe never stopped exporting food; stop spreading falsehoods, corn is not their only crop.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

BREAKING: Israeli Government's "Doomsday Plane" has taken Off With PM Netanyahu. / US States Shut-down For Hurricane Sandy / JAPAN - A Country Without Muslim: Cause For Peace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 166
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.