Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,045 members, 7,818,143 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries - Travel (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries (130227 Views)

Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? / UAE Lifts Travel Restrictions On Nigeria, 11 Other African Countries / Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by obichiddy(m): 2:16pm On Apr 15, 2021
JWTheocracy1:
Please anyone here who trades in Cefar from Nigeria to other West African countries?? You may PM me as I'm always in need of Naira in Exchange for cefar. My business involves getting goods from Nigeria which I do every week, but I'm based in Abidjan.

I have sent you an email. Trust you are great and family too.

I am in need of how to get some goods to Sierra-leone from Nigeria. Pls kindly spare me some of your time let's talk.
Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by stonedigital: 6:02pm On May 19, 2021
Good day gents...

Am interested in traveling to senegal for business.

Can someone please add me on the WhatsApp group. 08025296420.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by sharone21(f): 9:53am On May 22, 2021
Benin Republic series.

Ouidah province is in Benin Republic. It has a lovely beach like the one in high brow Fidjrosse, but a much cheaper place to live in. It has many tarred roads, with red soil/sandy soil, many bungalows as against high rise buildings, affordable hotels from 6000cfa+( with fan, NOT ac) and u can pay 3-4 months rent there. It is one of the first entry points of white people and still an attraction to them. It has a slave port too. Ouidah is neat, has lesser traffic than Cotonou ( good place to easily practice and learn how to ride bikes and drive cars☺). It has a toll gate ( possibly why most of the road including the inner ones are tarred and looks really organized). It has beautiful get away hotels like Diaspora hotel close to the beach and Hotel Terra Nostra after Gbena area of Ouidah.

Ouidah is 4hours+ from Togo, the closest town when coming from Cotonou is Pahou province which is 15mins drive and about 300-350cfa by car/cab. Buses can move from Tokpa to Pahou and stop but from Tokpa to Ouidah, you take small cars 1000cfa and if u bargain well between 800-900cfa. If u have loads to carry it is usually cheaper with bikes or buses than with cars so, it is good to bargain well. Truth is most things in Africa, u have to bargain well to get a good price especially as a foreigner since they may want to call a higher amount. In my next write up, I will talk about the distances and time+ amount you pay from Ouidah to places in Cotonou. There are some whites here. The only thing making Benin republic not a popular tourist country is because it is NOT known by whites, some still think it is in Nigeria ( Benin city). Don’t be surprised if a lot of whites start entering it when Benin government begins to seriously boost its tourism sector!

I have seen an IBO guy from East who lives there and speaks Fongbe�. The only BUT is if u need to change money, u go to Tokpa in Cotonou. It has a cheap market too.
Interestingly, President Patrice Talon of Benin Republic comes from Ouidah!

Ouidah province in Benin Republic.
Time and Prices to places in Cotonou( Commericial capital, Port Novo: Capital):

Ouidah to Godomey is 55mins, 800-1000cfa.
Ouidah to Fidjrosse is 1hr, 1000-1200 CFA.
Ouidah to Tokpa is 1hr 15mins and 800-1000cfa.
Ouidah to Cocotomey is 35mins, 700-1000 CFA.
Ouidah to Kouhounou is 1hr 5 mins, 800-1000cfa.
Ouidah to Airport is 1hr 20mins, 1200-1300cfa.
Ouidah to Embassy areas in Veduko is 1hr 25mins, 1200-1300cfa.

Ouidah to Akpakpa, Peka dix, Avoutrou areas is 1hr 30mins, 1500cfa.
Ouidah to Djeregbe is 1hr 45mins, 1500cfa.
Ouidah to Owode Apa border is 2hrs 15mins, 2000cfa+ N400+ to cross the border to Nigeria.
Ouidah to Seme border/Seme Okun( also called Port Novo round about and Peka Dix Huit) is 1hr 45mins, 1500cfa+....N1000+ to cross the border( prices might have changed a bit).
*Ouidah to Pahou province is 15mins, 300-350 CFA.
Pahou to Cocotomey is 20 mins, 300-400cfa.
Pahou to Cococodji is 15mins, 300-350cfa.
Note: In Africa especially West Africa, please, bargain well for everything u want to pay for except they are 'tagged prices' in stores.
*There are some Nigerian banks at Seme border( Nigerian side) eg Fidelity, Access bank etc.
For those going to Benin Republic from other states and passing through Ogun State, u can also follow via Lafenwa or Breweries to Sango Otta or Oju Ore( or follow from here) and from there to Owode ie Idiroko border( different from Owode APA near Badagry in Lagos).

Going through Owode Apa from Lagos is 1hour longer but less stressful. If u like your comfort so much, u can follow ABC luxurious bus@Alakoso in Mile 2 but it is more expensive. Togo and Benin Republic are both French speaking countries, Togo is cheaper but Benin has more developed places than Togo. When going back to Nigeria from Benin and passing through Owode Apa, u spend more CFA but if through Seme, u spend more Naira. If u are to change your money @the popular Mile2 motor sad park, there is only one Hausa guy there called Mallam Ali which generations have used� Some of them ( not only in Mile 2) give 'shortage' but it will seem like the correct amount- abracadabra @work, please take note and never use anyone like that again. U can also use trusted bureau de changes in Nigeria or Benin or some banks in Benin, Nigerians in Benin( especially Igbos or any other who will accept phone bank transfers and give you cfa) or genuine people who change money in Benin.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by sharone21(f): 9:54am On May 22, 2021
Facts about Benin Republic.

Do you know that more than 50 years ago, Orile to Badagry( in Lagos, Nigeria) was part of Benin Republic and allegedly sold to Naija?
Do u know some Beninoises share blood ties and still have some relatives in Badagry( Lagos State), Ogun State and Benin city ( hence its name)?
Do u know that the major income earner for Benin Republic is its sea port and it is heavily patronized by Nigerians?
Do u know that many years ago till date, Beninoise have lived in Mile 2 area, Lekki/Epe areas and Benin city in Nigeria?
Do u know that Nigerians on arrival@Akpakpa had to name it as such, after Apapa in Lagos State?
Do u know that Beninoises refer to bike as Keke while Nigerians call Tricycles, Keke Marwa?
Do you know that long ago, both men and women of old Dahomey empire (former Benin’s name) fought wars?

There are different ways to get to Benin Republic, by air with visa for non-ECOWAS members and without visa for ECOWAS members. One can enter by road too if you are not so far off( especially for ECOWAS members). 
To get into Benin Republic from Nigeria, u can follow major routes. The first one leads u through Seme border and the other leads u through Owode border which may be better for many staying outside Lagos in Nigeria. 
Seme route:
From Mile2 motor park to Seme straight or to Badagry is 2hrs 30 mins and N500+ by bus( I don’t know the present amount). From Badagry to Seme border 20mins and about N200 by bus. Seme border to get to Seme Okun also called PortNovo round about or Peka dix huit by bike ( trusted bike men please) is N1000 and about 15 mins+( bargain before entering if not they will charge u as they like, u may pay more for your luggage also, ask bike man if u will tip the immigration extra or they will give them from the money u paid). From Seme Okun to Tokpa is 30 mins and is 500cfa- 800cfa( they may charge u more if they see u are new in town especially small cars), u can enter a bike. Then from Tokpa to up to Cocotomey or even Cococodji is 500-700cfa.

Owode route:
From Badagry ( after dropping from Mile 2), take a car to Owode which is 1hr and u pay N500. From Owode, u cross the border and pay N400 to trusted bike man. Enter through a small bushy village then to Djeregbe 20 mins, is 500cfa ( by same bike man). Djeregbe to Tokpa is 500cfa by bus is 30 mins then from Tokpa pay appropriate amount to your destination from, 500cfa.

House types in Benin Republic. Beninoises love pent houses a lot�. They don't waste plots, but maximize space a lot. Their houses are 'full of decorations' unlike Nigerians that build simple structured houses. There is a new policy they are about enforcing which is, paying only 3months rent but for now, rent can be 3-6 months usually. U pay rent, agent's fee( equivalent to 1 month rent) , caution fee for water@25000 CFA which will allow the landlord open the tap for your use which usually is drinkable( if u don't have money for this, use well water and buy your sachet water to drink) and in houses where there is no prepaid metre for electricity, u can buy your own meter for 20000cfa( quality one which u go with when leaving the house) or lesser.
Housing like food, clothing are the basic necessities of life for EVERYONE. On arrival to Benin Republic, u are greeted with hotels according to your pocket size.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by sharone21(f): 10:04am On May 22, 2021
A Nigerian asked me the kind of business he can do in Republic of 
Benin, so below is the excerpt. I had to repeat my words in some cases:

Be it Csmeroon or Benin Republic, you can get a helped for your business that is BILINGUAL.

Republic of Benin badly needs an online store with delivery services either delivering yours only or acting as a middleman likesmemarkethub.com, Konga.com in Nigeria etc

U can give people ur contact then u supply. Tokpa is like our Oshodi also, Kouhounou ( Terrain) .They need: drinks- canned or plastic( expensive in benin), packaged wheat, fufu, semo, indomie/marcaroni/­spaghetti(especially big sizes), our beans is sweeter, red garri ( for variety, in Cameroon in the French areas especially, it is mostly white garri that you will see).

They have lots of joints, hotels, restaurants
Biz's: Restaurant(Nigeria's­ type), fastfood/shop selling meatpie, gala/sausage, rock buns, egg rolls, fish rolls etc, supplying/selling soup ingredients: ogbono, ugwu, pepper soup etc. In Benin, it may be preferable to cook FOOD at home instead of eating out unless you want to eat ‘snacks’ lie suya, roasted corn and the likes. We have stronger taste bud/ intensity and may not like to eat food prepared in restaurants in CAMEROON and especially, BENIN REPUBLIC. All In one Computer+Phone store with service man in it and to supply too, Photocopier machine parts. 
Ingredients category: catfish, stockfish. Affordable filled gas cylinder- to buy @beginning is expensive in Cotonou about 20,000-30,000cfa for less than 13kg and use from 2,000cfa to fill it up. Taxify/Uber( bilingual) whereby u call taximan + normal taxi driving. A restaurant in Peka dix near Akpakpa is called Mama Ibo and owned by Nigerian couple. The husband cooks with his shorts early in the morning and thereafter converses with customers while the wife controls the boys serving and handles the money and they are making GOOD money. But we don't have many of such in Benin). For assistance to easily settle in Republic of Benin: You can reach me to link you to my Beninoise friend ( serious persons please)

Let's look @ its money/­currency(presently at 1000naira to 1100cfa unlike before).

Coins in Benin Republic: 25, 50, 100, 200 and 500. Notes: 500, 1000, 2000, 5000 and 10000.
Mind you: 1= un, 2= deux, 3= trois, 4= quarter, 5= cinq, 6= six, 7= sept, 8= huit, 9= neuf, 10= dix.
100cfa =Cent franc, 150= cent franc cinquante,
200=deux cent franc, 350= trois cent cinquante franc while 400= quartre cent franc.
1000= mille franc, 5000=cinq mille franc, 1500= mille franc cinq cent. 25=Vingt cinq franc, 225= deux cent vingt cinq franc. U need to tune your ears well to listen because French is a fast language�. Once you know this, you won't be cheated or not know the actual amount to pay though, writing it out on paper helps both u and the trader�. 
Please, note that it is cheaper to buy in markets than from shops on roads or people's houses in Benin Republic. It is cheaper to buy bag of rice or garri as half or full bags than in cups. Watch out generally that u are given your complete change, some coins may be pocketed if u aren't so watchful�. Our beans ( especially brown beans) are SWEETER, if u can bring them and say u are selling Nigerian beans, people will rush to buy from u �. The way the Beninoises cook their beans with oil which they sell in Nigeria is sweeter and DIFFERENT from what is sold in Benin. I watched a Nigerian male who took same concept to London selling EWA AGONHI and has won several awards in London�. Even cooking beans with our type of stew and selling with bread is money. Zobo is the preferred and popular drink among the masses here, it goes for 100cfa since drinks are expensive just like in Cameroon(35cl is 250cfa, they have the ones of 1litre and 1.5 litres too). 
Banks are cheaper to maintain in Nigeria than in Cameroon and Benin( reason why MTN mobile money is popular) maybe because of our population. U may be asked to leave minimum of 3000-10000cfa as minimum balance unless u want to close the account. So, u may be in Benin and still maintain your bank accounts in Nigeria or anywhere worldwide since it is cheaper to maintain and if u can easily do banking from the comfort of your home. Our music is popular here- Olamide, Kiss Daniel etc, they have their own hot sensations too in rap eg Togbe, Kardinal Ricky, Vano Baby etc. If the last time u came to Cotonou and u said they don't have fine cars like ours, just know that things have changed�. Our weather is same as theirs.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by sharone21(f): 10:07am On May 22, 2021
Nigerians are venture capitalists, like the Chinese.

Mama IBO is actually the name of the Nigerian restaurant @Peka Dix but TRUST ME, other Africans patronize this restaurant, a Ghanaian actually took me to the place so we can eat GOOD food.

Nigerians are known to have delicious delicacies that are PROUDLY exportable and we have variety. There are not much competition between companies( some) in Benin like in Nigeria which makes prices less competitive though with things now inflated in Naija, Cotonou is cheaper. When I said Nigerian restaurants/­fastfoods, it doesn't have to be big and glamorous....URGENTL­Y REQUIRED are our fried rice, jollof rice, coconut rice, moimoi, akara even if it is what those Naija( Nigerian) guys do @roadstands where they make egg/fish rolls, buns etc. Suya and Kilichi is HIGHLY NEEDED here o, there are some barbecues but not like our local, affordable suyas/kilichis�. As kerosene stoves are the alternative to gas cookers in case of no gas or for some families, similarly, coal stove is popular here. 1 bag of rice (50kg) is 20,000cfa. 1 bag of garri(white only in Benin) is same 18000cfa+. Fish, fruits except carrots, it is abit pricey though it depends on the season) and things locally grown/made in Benin are cheaper. Naija drink sellers( canned/in plastic bottles) rush here and have depots in their different states: Cotonou, Ouidah, Port Novo etc OR the drink companies in Nigeria should come and get warehouses to store drinks and supply nationwide.

To buy phone sims, 100cfa for MTN( 1000 cfa@ border) and MOOV is 500cfa( 1000 cfa@border)- the 500cfa Moov has more bonuses initially but MTN has faster speed. With 100cfa u can get phone credits. U can also get more call/data credits by dialling certain codes, it lasts for 1day usually. SMS in Nigeria is cheaper. Those into selling computers, laptops( of all sizes), phones with in-house repair personnels are highly needed too. Our banks are doing fine-Diamond( sold to another bank in Benin), Uba ( has more branches)etc just as they are doing fine in other African countries eg Gambia etc. ATM withdrawal with debit cards may be impossible as many may not be functional. One major thing missing is many English/bilingual staff to attend to Anglophones unlike in Cameoon but things are gradually changing�.

Republic of Benin is a country of bikes, it is popular to see many women riding it too. Also, bikes are easily stolen but not the ones that looks like powerbike which is owned by foreigners and goes for about $1750 and above.

All foreigners are welcome to Benin Republic, Nigerians are welcome- we are usually big spenders. There are a lot of business centres even more than cyber cafes. To make photocopies, it is cheaper in Benin@10cfa per page, colour printing is 100 cfa. Plastic bottled water seems a little more expensive in Benin than in Nigeria. Trailers and tankers move@night so driving is safer in Cotonou than in the big cities of Nigeria. U MUST wear a helmet if u must ride a bike but it isn't compulsory to wear a helmet as a passenger on a bike. 

Education in Benin Republic:
Schools- Elementary and high school usually begins by 8am-12/1pm then break time to resume by 3pm-5pm( same for companies) though school closing time differs. Bilingual education has recently been introduced so English language is now part of its curriculum. School is from September/October to May/June. Fees are paid annually not termly( 3 terms makes a year) like Nigeria. Fees for average schools could start from 60,000- 100,000cfa or more( depending on school) per year but there are schools for every pocket just like Nigeria including public/government schools.

A popular public university is University of Abomey Calavi( U.A.C) while a popular private university for which after graduation one can undergo the compulsory 1year National Youth Service Corps in Nigeria is Houdegbe American University. A popular group of school is King Amachree Schools and it is almost up to university level is owned by a Nigerian, it is @ Peka Dix(10).

What comes to mind, is one of my alma mater, John who after his university education and National Youth Service Corps headed to Benin to lecture. He got a job with Houdegbe American University and years later became the head of lecturers ( I think for private universities), he told me the last time we met that he was trying to float a private university and I hope he succeeds�. He married a lady who was half Nigerian/half Beninoise.
*Some people prefer to go to countries they ain't welcomed, some of these countries are in Africa and they suffer being imprisoned, killed or deported. Instead of travelling too far to start a business or life elsewhere, u ( Nigerian) can use Benin Republic to test your feet in the murky waters of business and living abroad�, after all, one's country is nearby in case things don't go as intended instead of spending so much travelling far. Some have wasted much money and time going abroad and have achieved little. Benin Republic just requires u to cross the border�. 
Everyone needs an international passport to enter the Republic of Benin.
As a Nigerian going to Benin Republic, ensure you are with your international passport if going through Seme border(even, from when you start approaching Agbara, our Customs might start checking) it is not necessary for u to show it to Beninoise's immigration personnel ( DON'T EVEN NEED TO SHOW THEM, but the bike guy crossing you will tell you what to do) though the Nigerian immigration personnel may ask to see it in order to be satisfied that u are a Nigerian and that u're legally leaving the country to enter other countries. If it is the other borders: Idiroko, Owode Apa there may be no need for that. 
Mobile money via Mtn, Moov is everywhere in Benin even outside Benin( Francophone West Africa countries). Mtn and Moov have 3g and 4g however, 4g broadband are in most designated places but soon these companies will be everywhere in Benin with increased speed.
Betelecomms is a government owned 4g broadband internet company. Unlimited internet for a month is 30,000cfa while unlimited internet for 3months is 80,000 CFA. It is present in some places in Benin and will spread nationwide as intended by the government of President Patrice Talon.

RAVIP has been introduced by President Patrice Talon's government with the intention to freely register everyone in Benin Republic- both Beninoises and foreigners. It is a national identity card system which also can be used to cash money from ATMs when fully in place. It started as a free exercise but knowing that Benin is a country NOT SO blessed with abundant resources like Nigeria, there is now a fee for it at least, to boost their GDP, especially from foreigners. ID cards generally make u access things a citizen will access eg public health system.

*Disclaimer: Benin Republic is not for yahoo boys and girls( internet scammers), serial killers/ritual killers, lunatics/­'kolomentals'/­psychos, terrorists/­bokoharamists/killer herdsmen, kidnappers, armed robbers etc. They are more patriotic than us and would not want their country to deteriorate. You will easily be fished out and if it is Republic of Togo, u will be LUCKY if u are not lynched or given jungle justice!

Next, I will be talking about the advantages then later, the disadvantages of living in Benin Republic
Benin Republic-Advantages1­: 1) Less crime, no terrorism/killer herdsmen or kidnapping, you can almost SLEEP AT NIGHT leaving your door open. Cameroon too is safer than Nigeria. Nigeria should wake up on crime control+ control of other vices.
2) Trailers, oil tankers move@ night. 
3) Much streetlights though more @main roads.
4) Peace of mind everywhere, even boarding public buses, no stress. 
5)24/7 electricity and working transformers. 
6) Clean, drinkable tap water.
7) MTN and Moov have unlimited plans. MTN is fastest especially with a mifi of N10,000-N15,000 from Ikeja computer village, you will be seeing up to or above 20mbps and above. MOOV is best for calling as it is slower and has good calling plans. With MTN, you can easily do free facebook & free Nairaland and mobile money. MOOV started free face book.
cool Good place to retire- young/old to spend naira, dollar etc- it stretches more� 
9) Cheaper to make photocopies of documents there @10cfa, color printed documents are for 100cfa. In Cameroon, it is 25cfa for photocopies and black and white, 50cfa for printed documents in color, 100cfa + to 250cfa for spiral binding ie the more you print then the cost of spiral binding is lesser, meaning that if you have your pc and type at home, it is CHEAP to print outside @computer centres.
10) No touts on the road collecting money from commercial drivers as we have in some states in Nigeria.
11) You can get rent for 4 months on average for a start (and depending on the landlord, you can even pay for 3 months initially) and later pay monthly. In Cameroon, it is mostly on average of 10 months at least, BUT depending on the landlord, they can take less even, 1-6 months initially.
12) Both men and women ride bikes here as a means of transportation, the roads are okay and safe enough. You MUST wear your helmets.
13) No police harassment or stopping on the road to check for ID cards.
14) A country that does a lot of importation but, still has a more stable economy with little or no inflation. Note that they also farm eg garri( white garri, which they mostly soak to drink as they eat a lot of corn prepared meal like the Cameroonians which they use to eat their soup, Cameroonians have more yellow garri).
15) You can start a business without paying $100,000, without envy and competition. Beninoise are like our BROTHERS. They even prefer that you come and succeed so you create jobs for them. They remind me of a part of Nigeria in the South that likes to serve others. A Cameroonian will prefer to ‘befriend’ you to know how you do business, even calling you sweet names rather than compete with you or stop you from doing business. Both country men and women LOVE Nigerians. If you are an extrovert and in Cameroon especially, you go make friends tire (lol) even with those in authority.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by sharone21(f): 10:09am On May 22, 2021
Benin Series ( Conclusion)

16) A good and welcoming business environment instead of going to so called cheap North to invest where the environment is volatile.
17) Benin Republic seems to have been blessed with good managers/ Presidents and run one of the most STABLE countries in Africa( if not the world) despite their little resources.
Benin Republic: Disadvantages:
1) U spend CFA in CFA countries since it is less valued.
2) There are less suitable restaurants and fastfoods since they don't cut across to the needs of non-Beninoises.
3) Buying new gas cooker less than 13kg, can be 20,000-30,000cfa, thereafter you fill with at least 2,000cfa. 
4) Presently with our electricity tariff, it is almost the same with Benin’s especially if u use electric cookers/stoves, so you tune down ie switch off light when not in use. Cameroon seems to have cheaper light than them. Good thing about both is that, you have a meter that is ‘pay as you use’.
5) One may need to pay Residence Permit as a Nigerian. Though truth is that, you don’t need anything to live in Cotonou however, RAVIP ID card registration is available, so go get it. 
6) Electronics and electronics servicing is a bit more expensive.
6) French language is helpful if u know it. However, since it is a country receptive to Nigerians, a lot more Anglophones are mixing with the Beninoise, reminds me of what is happening in francophone side of Cameroon. With our population of 200million and with the way Nigeria is being run, I see more Nigerians having dual stay ie in both Nigeria and in Benin Republic( temporarily for tourism, peace of mind) or permanently.
7) Water is metred unlike in Nigeria where a flat rate of N1000+ is charged, even if u bath like u own a pool in your house. You may do with well water while you get drining water from tap or from pure water.
cool Drivers only obey traffic lights and police, if there are none where u want to cross( especially @night), u have to plead with the bike guy( preferably) to cross u to the other side( @ least) for safety reasons.
9) Benin Republic is BEST for kindergarten, elementary and secondary schools, HOWEVER for university, it is either one attend its public institutions where French is taught (since most of its private institutions are not really regulated by government and little or absence of professional bodies) OR get into Nigeria or into Cameroon that has automatic admission in its private institutions that mostly run professional courses and where you can pay fees in installments, provided you pay all before examination. Maybe in Cameroon if you wish, you can still get its powerful ID card (which is advisable to get).
10) The famous crime in Cotonou is stealing of motor cycles unless it is power bike or chained to the ground when you park it.
11) It is cheaper to buy things in bags eg rice is 20,000cfa (previously, 18,000 cfa) unlike in Cameroon where it is cheaper to buy in transparent, plastic cups ( for rice, beans, garri etc bag of rice in Cameroon is 22,000cfa). For both, it is cheaper to buy from the market rather than buying from household stores around you (unless the person sells at good price or due to convenience).

3 Likes

Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by EndNigeriaNoow: 1:57pm On May 27, 2021
dep07:
Good evening nairalanders.I just came across this thread.pls any Nigerian living in Nairobi ,Kenya. I need some info about the city.will be relocating next month by God's grace .Thanks.
have u relocated to Nairobi? how is life there in terms of security and clean environment and xenophobia if any?
Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by dep07(f): 10:51pm On May 30, 2021
EndNigeriaNoow:
have u relocated to Nairobi? how is life there in terms of security and clean environment and xenophobia if any?
I did relocate to Nairobi. It's a beautiful city.
I didn't experience any security challenge, the environment is clean. I didn't experience xenophobia attack either.
My advice is just to know that it's an expensive country compared to Nigeria. As a foreigner,obey their laws , you are good to go.

3 Likes

Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by OGWILLS123: 11:18pm On May 30, 2021
kingzjay:
I can't go to any other African country to suffer. I'll rather stay here and join voices with other well meaning Nigerians to ensure this country returns back to her 'glory days'.

Yes, we can!

When was this glory day's if I may ask

1 Like

Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by EndNigeriaNoow: 4:25am On May 31, 2021
dep07:

I didn't experience any security challenge, the environment is clean. I didn't experience xenophobia attack either.
My advice is just to know that it's an expensive country compared to Nigeria. As a foreigner,obey their laws , you are good to go.
okk nice one. Thanks for the update.
Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by YungLasaint(m): 11:54pm On Jun 01, 2021
Hello are you still in Botswana ?

FroshJaynex:
I love this topic because just yesterday I was thinking about the same thing, I got to Botswana and in just 6month am worth more than $54,000 at least for a very broke boy from the street of Lagos, hustle to hustle carry me enter, I beg my fellow Nigerians to leave and try move into these coded countries, that's what I call them and see how big Nigerians are living and enjoying life on a low key, Many of them calculate in dollars. One yahoo boy #5m hit is my own bills in a month outside, u see say things are not the same at all.
Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by Badsatan: 4:57pm On Jun 02, 2021
Smartlife:

You did not talk about their babes�
Their babes get big nyash and pvssy, them Sabi and like fvck Wella. Check African Sex Globe. Thank me later
Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by Kvngwitty(m): 12:26am On Jun 03, 2021
Can I email you? I’d like to come to Benin for vacation like 1 month or even more or maybe WhatsApp here’s my WhatsApp +2348086761098
sharone21:
Benin Republic series.

Ouidah province is in Benin Republic. It has a lovely beach like the one in high brow Fidjrosse, but a much cheaper place to live in. It has many tarred roads, with red soil/sandy soil, many bungalows as against high rise buildings, affordable hotels from 6000cfa+( with fan, NOT ac) and u can pay 3-4 months rent there. It is one of the first entry points of white people and still an attraction to them. It has a slave port too. Ouidah is neat, has lesser traffic than Cotonou ( good place to easily practice and learn how to ride bikes and drive cars☺). It has a toll gate ( possibly why most of the road including the inner ones are tarred and looks really organized). It has beautiful get away hotels like Diaspora hotel close to the beach and Hotel Terra Nostra after Gbena area of Ouidah.

Ouidah is 4hours+ from Togo, the closest town when coming from Cotonou is Pahou province which is 15mins drive and about 300-350cfa by car/cab. Buses can move from Tokpa to Pahou and stop but from Tokpa to Ouidah, you take small cars 1000cfa and if u bargain well between 800-900cfa. If u have loads to carry it is usually cheaper with bikes or buses than with cars so, it is good to bargain well. Truth is most things in Africa, u have to bargain well to get a good price especially as a foreigner since they may want to call a higher amount. In my next write up, I will talk about the distances and time+ amount you pay from Ouidah to places in Cotonou. There are some whites here. The only thing making Benin republic not a popular tourist country is because it is NOT known by whites, some still think it is in Nigeria ( Benin city). Don’t be surprised if a lot of whites start entering it when Benin government begins to seriously boost its tourism sector!

I have seen an IBO guy from East who lives there and speaks Fongbe�. The only BUT is if u need to change money, u go to Tokpa in Cotonou. It has a cheap market too.
Interestingly, President Patrice Talon of Benin Republic comes from Ouidah!

Ouidah province in Benin Republic.
Time and Prices to places in Cotonou( Commericial capital, Port Novo: Capital):

Ouidah to Godomey is 55mins, 800-1000cfa.
Ouidah to Fidjrosse is 1hr, 1000-1200 CFA.
Ouidah to Tokpa is 1hr 15mins and 800-1000cfa.
Ouidah to Cocotomey is 35mins, 700-1000 CFA.
Ouidah to Kouhounou is 1hr 5 mins, 800-1000cfa.
Ouidah to Airport is 1hr 20mins, 1200-1300cfa.
Ouidah to Embassy areas in Veduko is 1hr 25mins, 1200-1300cfa.

Ouidah to Akpakpa, Peka dix, Avoutrou areas is 1hr 30mins, 1500cfa.
Ouidah to Djeregbe is 1hr 45mins, 1500cfa.
Ouidah to Owode Apa border is 2hrs 15mins, 2000cfa+ N400+ to cross the border to Nigeria.
Ouidah to Seme border/Seme Okun( also called Port Novo round about and Peka Dix Huit) is 1hr 45mins, 1500cfa+....N1000+ to cross the border( prices might have changed a bit).
*Ouidah to Pahou province is 15mins, 300-350 CFA.
Pahou to Cocotomey is 20 mins, 300-400cfa.
Pahou to Cococodji is 15mins, 300-350cfa.
Note: In Africa especially West Africa, please, bargain well for everything u want to pay for except they are 'tagged prices' in stores.
*There are some Nigerian banks at Seme border( Nigerian side) eg Fidelity, Access bank etc.
For those going to Benin Republic from other states and passing through Ogun State, u can also follow via Lafenwa or Breweries to Sango Otta or Oju Ore( or follow from here) and from there to Owode ie Idiroko border( different from Owode APA near Badagry in Lagos).

Going through Owode Apa from Lagos is 1hour longer but less stressful. If u like your comfort so much, u can follow ABC luxurious bus@Alakoso in Mile 2 but it is more expensive. Togo and Benin Republic are both French speaking countries, Togo is cheaper but Benin has more developed places than Togo. When going back to Nigeria from Benin and passing through Owode Apa, u spend more CFA but if through Seme, u spend more Naira. If u are to change your money @the popular Mile2 motor sad park, there is only one Hausa guy there called Mallam Ali which generations have used� Some of them ( not only in Mile 2) give 'shortage' but it will seem like the correct amount- abracadabra @work, please take note and never use anyone like that again. U can also use trusted bureau de changes in Nigeria or Benin or some banks in Benin, Nigerians in Benin( especially Igbos or any other who will accept phone bank transfers and give you cfa) or genuine people who change money in Benin.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by Ogbuonyeisiogu(m): 10:34pm On Jun 03, 2021
YOUR URGENT ADVICE NEEDED!

I am considering, Mauritius but, have no situation idea there. I want to relocate with my family, my wife an American citizen, 5kids with the Eldest being 12 and my cousin.

I want to do business, I need a very peaceful environment with a very strong and stable economy, political and social institutions. I want to set up a business with about 3M for start up.

I need a nice place love very neat city to do business and grow my kids.

[Please I need your honest advice here

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by Nicoswit(m): 11:38pm On Jun 03, 2021
Ogbuonyeisiogu:

I am considering, Mauritius but, have no situation idea there. I want to relocate with my family, my wife an American citizen, 5kids with the Eldest being 12 and my cousin.

I want to do business, I need a very peaceful environment with a very strong and stable economy, political and social institutions. I want to set up a business with about 3M for start up.

Start your own thread for more engagement
Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by sharone21(f): 4:40am On Jun 05, 2021
Cameroon: Now N860= 1000(N1000= 1,162.79 cfa) instead of N833=1000cfa...

*Note: Cameroonians are friendly and welcomes everyone for business, tourism, education etc...Great for families. It is more peaceful, safer and more secure than Nigeria.

You can choose to stay in Douala and Yaounde if you want great taste if not, the West Region eg Bafoussam, Dschang. Food is still more affordable in Cameroon than Nigeria. Douala has sea port which is more open than ours and allows a lot of imports....it is a good place for hustlers especially marketers ready to market stuffs.....Yaounde is better if u work for government, have a job or q politician....I hear some areas have cheap houses eg 10,000 FRS for single rooms.
*If u don't have the CNI ( Cameroon National ID card, which is very important in Cameroon), don't do intercity transport and don't walk night ie from 7pm and above due to gendermes searching u.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by sageb: 8:29am On Jun 05, 2021
sharone21:
Cameroon: Now N860= 1000(N1000= 1,162.79 cfa) instead of N833=1000cfa...

*Note: Cameroonians are friendly and welcomes everyone for business, tourism, education etc...Great for families. It is more peaceful, safer and more secure than Nigeria.

You can choose to stay in Douala and Yaounde if you want great taste if not, the West Region eg Bafoussam, Dschang. Food is still more affordable in Cameroon than Nigeria.

How about job opportunities for an administrator and Teacher?

1 Like

Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by sharone21(f): 2:51pm On Jun 05, 2021
sageb:

How about job opportunities for an administrator and Teacher?

Join the whatsapp group
Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by porthouse7(f): 12:07am On Jun 07, 2021
sharone21:
A Nigerian asked me the kind of business he can do in Republic of 
Benin, so below is the excerpt. I had to repeat my words in some cases:

Be it Csmeroon or Benin Republic, you can get a helped for your business that is BILINGUAL.

Republic of Benin badly needs an online store with delivery services either delivering yours i only or acting as a middleman i likesmemarkethub.com, Konga.com in iNigeria etc I have blocks of flats am letting out @ aibaitan very close to airport overlooking d beach,holla @ me let deal: mayfourtenbiz@gmail.com

U can give people ur contact then u supply. Tokpa is like our Oshodi also, Kouhounou ( Terrain) .They need: drinks- canned or plastic( expensive in benin), packaged wheat, fufu, semo, indomie/marcaroni/­spaghetti(especially big sizes), our beans is sweeter, red garri ( for variety, in Cameroon in the French areas especially, it is mostly white garri that you will see).

They have lots of joints, hotels, restaurants
Biz's: Restaurant(Nigeria's­ type), fastfood/shop selling meatpie, gala/sausage, rock buns, egg rolls, fish rolls etc, supplying/selling soup ingredients: ogbono, ugwu, pepper soup etc. In Benin, it may be preferable to cook FOOD at home instead of eating out unless you want to eat ‘snacks’ lie suya, roasted corn and the likes. We have stronger taste bud/ intensity and may not like to eat food prepared in restaurants in CAMEROON and especially, BENIN REPUBLIC. All In one Computer+Phone store with service man in it and to supply too, Photocopier machine parts. 
Ingredients category: catfish, stockfish. Affordable filled gas cylinder- to buy @beginning is expensive in Cotonou about 20,000-30,000cfa for less than 13kg and use from 2,000cfa to fill it up. Taxify/Uber( bilingual) whereby u call taximan + normal taxi driving. A restaurant in Peka dix near Akpakpa is called Mama Ibo and owned by Nigerian couple. The husband cooks with his shorts early in the morning and thereafter converses with customers while the wife controls the boys serving and handles the money and they are making GOOD money. But we don't have many of such in Benin). For assistance to easily settle in Republic of Benin: You can reach me to link you to my Beninoise friend ( serious persons please)

Let's look @ its money/­currency(presently at 1000naira to 1100cfa unlike before).

Coins in Benin Republic: 25, 50, 100, 200 and 500. Notes: 500, 1000, 2000, 5000 and 10000.
Mind you: 1= un, 2= deux, 3= trois, 4= quarter, 5= cinq, 6= six, 7= sept, 8= huit, 9= neuf, 10= dix.
100cfa =Cent franc, 150= cent franc cinquante,
200=deux cent franc, 350= trois cent cinquante franc while 400= quartre cent franc.
1000= mille franc, 5000=cinq mille franc, 1500= mille franc cinq cent. 25=Vingt cinq franc, 225= deux cent vingt cinq franc. U need to tune your ears well to listen because French is a fast language�. Once you know this, you won't be cheated or not know the actual amount to pay though, writing it out on paper helps both u and the trader�. 
Please, note that it is cheaper to buy in markets than from shops on roads or people's houses in Benin Republic. It is cheaper to buy bag of rice or garri as half or full bags than in cups. Watch out generally that u are given your complete change, some coins may be pocketed if u aren't so watchful�. Our beans ( especially brown beans) are SWEETER, if u can bring them and say u are selling Nigerian beans, people will rush to buy from u �. The way the Beninoises cook their beans with oil which they sell in Nigeria is sweeter and DIFFERENT from what is sold in Benin. I watched a Nigerian male who took same concept to London selling EWA AGONHI and has won several awards in London�. Even cooking beans with our type of stew and selling with bread is money. Zobo is the preferred and popular drink among the masses here, it goes for 100cfa since drinks are expensive just like in Cameroon(35cl is 250cfa, they have the ones of 1litre and 1.5 litres too). 
Banks are cheaper to maintain in Nigeria than in Cameroon and Benin( reason why MTN mobile money is popular) maybe because of our population. U may be asked to leave minimum of 3000-10000cfa as minimum balance unless u want to close the account. So, u may be in Benin and still maintain your bank accounts in Nigeria or anywhere worldwide since it is cheaper to maintain and if u can easily do banking from the comfort of your home. Our music is popular here- Olamide, Kiss Daniel etc, they have their own hot sensations too in rap eg Togbe, Kardinal Ricky, Vano Baby etc. If the last time u came to Cotonou and u said they don't have fine cars like ours, just know that things have changed�. Our weather is same as theirs.
Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by porthouse7(f): 12:12am On Jun 07, 2021
yehmy:
How much do you think one will need to move over, cost of a room self-contain atleast and how easy is it to secure a job there?
holla @ me if u are moving to Cotonou
Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by porthouse7(f): 12:19am On Jun 07, 2021
SHIIITHOLE:
Ghanaians are black, and Nigerians are white?

affordable decent apartment available @ aibatan overlooking d airport and beach, reach out if anyone want
Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by yehmy(m): 6:56pm On Jun 08, 2021
porthouse7:
holla @ me if u are moving to Cotonou
why you want to host me?
Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by porthouse7(f): 9:19pm On Jun 08, 2021
yehmy:
why you want to host me?
no
Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by Nobody: 9:44am On Jun 12, 2021
Following
Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by Exceed15: 3:48pm On Aug 27, 2021
kingzjay:
I can't go to any other African country to suffer. I'll rather stay here and join voices with other well meaning Nigerians to ensure this country returns back to her 'glory days'.

Yes, we can!

Lol
Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by Bifwoli: 11:58pm On Aug 27, 2021
dep07:

Not any updates since ?
Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by xkunzo(m): 9:46am On Aug 31, 2021
3m million is too small forget mauritius , mauritius is good and allowed for billionaire only , your 3m is for hotel rent in just 4 to 6month only , you can think of tanzania or rwanda , 3m still small , you need at least from 7m upward , do more research on it , i have been to those place, the reality is different from what you read on internet

Ogbuonyeisiogu:

1 Like

Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by dep07(f): 7:22pm On Sep 08, 2021
Bifwoli:
Not any updates since ?
i have left already.
Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by Nicoswit(m): 11:25pm On Oct 03, 2021
greggng:

Just give me one skill so that I can learn within 3months. I actually wanted to go for hardware and software computer training but I don't know if it will sell over there
Bro, did you eventually move to Botswana?
Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by greggng: 11:19am On Oct 04, 2021
Nicoswit:

Bro, did you eventually move to Botswana?

No
Re: Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries by Nicoswit(m): 8:18pm On Oct 04, 2021
greggng:

No
Ok

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (Reply)

Dubai: No Police, No Military, No Media Just An Order (Photos) / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? / Lagosian Turns Keke Into Rover.... To Avoid Ban

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.