Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,813 members, 7,827,987 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? (3926 Views)

How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion / Why Did The Name Jesus Replace Yeshua / "His Name Is Not Jesus" - Daddy Freeze Condemns The Name 'Jesus' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Maamin(m): 10:10am On Jun 06, 2018
nwabekeyi:
the Hebrew and Egypt version Moses means to different things, read it well, so how come Yeshua and Jesus will mean the same thing?

Two different transliteration from one source, that doesn't make any sense, we know what yeshua means, we are still yet to find out what Jesus means

You couldn't even admit you were wrong about the origin of the name 'Moses'.

Saying the meaning of the name is different is ridiculous...translitrlerations could change the letters from one language to another but meaning might remain the same. Which you have been provided answers to already.
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Maamin(m): 10:13am On Jun 06, 2018
nwabekeyi:
it's not all about what you and I believe, it's all about what facts present...

I'm still waiting for the meaning of Jesus

The meaning has been given to you already but you choose to prolong and make argument out of nothing.

May you find what you are looking for

Shalom!

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by tintingz(m): 10:28am On Jun 06, 2018
In Islam and Arabic Jesus is referred to Isa or Yisa.

I think that's closely related to Hebrew and Aramaic (Semitic).
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by vaxx: 11:01am On Jun 06, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
vaxx, I will try and give a short version of the explanation after hearing your reply to this question:

Are you familiar with scripture or verses in the bible?
If you are, then I'll drop, say, two verses, that will give a penny drops moment and clear the matter up

vaxx, you see, the challenge we have, is that majority dont seem to appreciate that the New Testament is written in Greek
and the Greek language has its fair share of different sort of tenses.
People read the bible, ignoring the tenses, at their peril

Now that you've relearned, there is nothing stopping you from starting to use Yahushua instead of Jesus, which "morphed" from Iesous

nwabekeyi, repeating, it dont matter, so long as the variants of the name Yahashua used, doesnt have unpleasant and/or offensive connotations of mockery

Yes but am still a student willing to learn, but i think the angle apologetic use in claiming bible is written both in Hebrew and Greek respectively and hence if a reader must appreciate it, he will need to further his understanding in these language is a little tricky and a way to cover the truth, this was also the claim of the catholic in the middle ages when the entire bible was available in Latin apart from the two main primary source, the church do claim people needs Latin understanding to get what really the bible is portraying . but in this days of internet, it is easier to search for the meaning of a language now. a little google search will do justice.

i respect your theological intelligence and that is why i mentioned u.
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by lilliesboy(m): 11:06am On Jun 06, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
Are we getting especially mouthy now like a four-year-old brat?
No, we are getting mouthy like a six-year-old imbec*le waiting for a saviour named jesus.
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 11:15am On Jun 06, 2018
Maamin:

The meaning has been given to you already but you choose to prolong and make argument out of nothing.

May you find what you are looking for

Shalom!
the meaning of Yeshua was given not Jesus, I don't like arguments too, I just want to be clarified about it as this is a religious issue and people don't just give transliteration that doesn't correlate with the version of the name.

If Christians ask questions, they would have asked why most of the Latin words doesn't correlate with their original Jewish origin, but no, you accept everything by Faith
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 11:18am On Jun 06, 2018
Maamin:

You couldn't even admit you were wrong about the origin of the name 'Moses'.

Saying the meaning of the name is different is ridiculous...translitrlerations could change the letters from one language to another but meaning might remain the same. Which you have been provided answers to already.

I will accept I'm wrong if you can prove it, it doesn't take anything away from me, I'm also learning.

Moses in Hebrew and Egypt has different meanings irrespective of the transliteration
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Maamin(m): 4:16pm On Jun 06, 2018
nwabekeyi:
the meaning of Yeshua was given not Jesus, I don't like arguments too, I just want to be clarified about it as this is a religious issue and people don't just give transliteration that doesn't correlate with the version of the name.

If Christians ask questions, they would have asked why most of the Latin words doesn't correlate with their original Jewish origin, but no, you accept everything by Faith

You on the other hand, have you shown or prove that the transliteration of Yeshua to Jesus does not correlate? Where is your evidence?
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jun 06, 2018
Maamin:

You on the other hand, have you shown or prove that the transliteration of Yeshua to Jesus does not correlate? Where is your evidence?
its simple, yeshua means salvation

What does Jesus mean?
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Maamin(m): 7:08pm On Jun 06, 2018
nwabekeyi:
its simple, yeshua means salvation

What does Jesus mean?

I'm now using your logic against you...

How did you come about that Yeshua means salvation?

You need to explain further please
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jun 06, 2018
Maamin:

because that is the pronunciation of salvation in Semitic Hebrew, so what language is Jesus?
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jun 06, 2018
Maamin:

my friend, stop the game, its not a joking matter.

What dies jesus means and in what language?
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Maamin(m): 9:52pm On Jun 06, 2018
nwabekeyi:
my friend, stop the game, its not a joking matter.

What dies jesus means and in what language?

Basically, what this means is that Joshua and Jesus are the same name. One is translated from Hebrew into English(Joshua), the other from Greek into English(Jesus).

It is also interesting to note, the names "Joshua" and "Isaiah" are essentially the same names as Yeshua in Hebrew. They mean "Savior" and "the salvation of the Lord."
In German, our English word for book is "buch." In Spanish, it becomes a "libro;" in French, a "livre." The language changes, but the object itself does not and that is the most important thing.

In the same way, we can refer to Jesus as “Jesus,” “Yeshua,” or “YehSou” (Cantonese), without changing His nature. In any language, His name means “the Lord is Salvation.”
Those who argue and insist we call Jesus by his correct name, Yeshua, such as yourself are only concerning themselves with trivial, non-essential matters.

I was once at this very stage you are right now. The Bible doesn't give preeminence to one language (or translation) over another. Man does this not God. Beside was it not God who separated the word from speaking in one tongue?

Whatever language you seek him in truth he will surely hear you.
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jun 06, 2018
Maamin:

Basically, what this means is that Joshua and Jesus are the same name. One is translated from Hebrew into English(Joshua), the other from Greek into English(Jesus).

It is also interesting to note, the names "Joshua" and "Isaiah" are essentially the same names as Yeshua in Hebrew. They mean "Savior" and "the salvation of the Lord."
In German, our English word for book is "buch." In Spanish, it becomes a "libro;" in French, a "livre." The language changes, but the object itself does not and that is the most important thing.

In the same way, we can refer to Jesus as “Jesus,” “Yeshua,” or “YehSou” (Cantonese), without changing His nature. In any language, His name means “the Lord is Salvation.”
Those who argue and insist we call Jesus by his correct name, Yeshua, such as yourself are only concerning themselves with trivial, non-essential matters.

I was once at this very stage you are right now. The Bible doesn't give preeminence to one language (or translation) over another. Man does this not God. Beside was it not God who separated the word from speaking in one tongue?

Whatever language you seek him in truth he will surely hear you.
why must we pray in that one translitered from Greek instead of the one from the original Hebrew?

It really does sound awkward having two different names do one person, now I ask do we stick to that of the original Jew or that translitered from Greek?
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Maamin(m): 10:57pm On Jun 06, 2018
nwabekeyi:
why must we pray in that one translitered from Greek instead of the one from the original Hebrew?

It really does sound awkward having two different names do one person, now I ask do we stick to that of the original Jew or that translitered from Greek?

Like I said, whichever language is convenient for you to use does not matter in God's sight
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Sheridale(f): 2:00am On Jun 07, 2018
Anatomy of Experiment No. 49 - Psychic Diagnosis
First Method Summary
(Defending AMORC against Pierre S. Freeman Critics)

This diagnosis through this procedure works because the aura of an ailing person exerts a special type of influence on our own aura. This influence stimulates our hypothalamus and its surrounding area. In response to this stimulus the hypothalamus gives rise to the impression of heat or coolness that manifests in the right or left hand, having followed the pathway of the radial nerve in the corresponding areas in the brain. If you would like to see results for yourself, then I recommend that you study the monograph and practice meticulously with great focus and perform a successful diagnosis.

First Method Anatomy
This is the anatomy of the first experiment which can be found in the Section Initiate Degree 7, Monograph 1. This exercise is one of two experiments that are taught by the class master to help healers diagnose patient’s psychic body. This first experiment will help us find where the illness is and how it should be treated. Again, this is something that takes practice and patience like most things in life. For anyone who has never read, tried or even heard of this before, it is actually a procedure that is used by a lot of spiritualistic healers. It can be considered a “placing on of hands” in a really broad sense but I’m not talking about priest in a tent here. It is more of an aura cleansing ritual. The exercise works because when a person is ill their aura will interact with ours. What’s special about this exercise is that it works through the sensation of warmth or coolness. The interaction of the ill person’s aura works by stimulating our hypothalamus and in return our hypothalamus gives a response by the feeling of warmth or coolness in the right or left hand. These types of exercises (and we call them that because you should be doing them always or as much as possible, because we will never stop learning new things about others or ourselves), do take practice and meditation to achieve successful results. So don’t let anyone tell you it doesn’t work until you’ve achieved it because those people may not have had the drive or patience. These people like Pierre S. Freeman who claim to have spent two decades as a member of the AMORC order, are proof that without patience and diligent practice you won’t get results.

To find out the details regarding the experiment and how it is exactly done, refer to the monograph. You will find a comprehensive instructional explanation of the steps, invocations and other requirements involved.

This diagnosis through this procedure works because the aura of an ailing person exerts a special type of influence on our own aura. This influence stimulates our hypothalamus and its surrounding area. In response to this stimulus the hypothalamus gives rise to the impression of heat or coolness that manifests in the right or left hand, having followed the pathway of the radial nerve in the corresponding areas in the brain. If you would like to see results for yourself, then I recommend that you study the monograph and practice meticulously with great focus and perform a successful diagnosis.

Support AMORC at : www.watchingout4AMORC.org
Please like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/watchingout4AMORC/

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jun 10, 2018
nwabekeyi:
How did we arrived at the name "Jesus"?

What's the etymology of this name?

From my little research, I discovered that the name means absolutely nothing in Hebrew or any other semitic language of Isreal.

If Jesus was said to be Hebrew and the name means nothing in Hebrew even when you try to give a literal translation, so how then did the name come to be?

What language was the name Jesus coined from and what's it's literal translation in Hebrew?
I stand to be corrected, I just need to know the literal meaning of the name " Jesus"

Butterflyleo
Budaatum
Otemsapien
Johnydon22
Jesus is a European term for Iyasus. Here in Ethiopia ppl refer him Iyasus Krestos (Jesus Christ for Europeans).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Does Atheist Love Attacking Christianity / 7 Benefits Of Esu Spiritual Bath (photos) / Scared! I Don't Believe In God, And You People Scare Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.