Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,599 members, 7,827,259 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? (3919 Views)

How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion / Why Did The Name Jesus Replace Yeshua / "His Name Is Not Jesus" - Daddy Freeze Condemns The Name 'Jesus' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by spartan117(m): 12:09am On Jun 06, 2018
0temSapien:

So it means Ahaz was alive from the book of Isaiah till the book of Matthew abi. Then your lord gave him the sign in the book of Matthew last last grin

Ahaz must be ancient of days for him to have lived for about 6 centuries in this homo sapiens era o shocked
spartan117:

NIV:Again the Lord spoke to Ahaz,
NIV:“Ask the Lord your God for a sign, whether in the deepest depths or in the highest heights.”
NIV:But Ahaz said, “I will not ask; I will not put the Lord to the test.”
NIV:Then Isaiah said, “Hear now, you house of David! Is it not enough to try the patience of humans? Will you try the patience of my God also?
NIV:Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.
As we can see from verse 12 king ahaz declined to ask God for a sign.
But God gave a sign, please note that the sign was not given just to ahaz but to the entire house of David.

And this prophecy was fulfilled at the birth of jesus and the house of David witnessed it, even though they didn't recognize it.

For before the child shall know [enough] to refuse the evil and choose the good, the land [Canaan] whose two kings you abhor and of whom you are in sickening dread shall be forsaken [both Ephraim and Syria] isaiah 7:16

These two Kingdoms Ephraim(israel) and Syria had already fallen to the Romans at the birth of jesus, so this prophecy was fulfilled.
Read this.
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by lilliesboy(m): 12:09am On Jun 06, 2018
That bloody name - jesus, is a Latin name and that is why it is a popular household name in many Latin-American countries. But, it has "paganic" origins in Greek and Jewish myths.

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 12:15am On Jun 06, 2018
spartan117:

NIV:Again the Lord spoke to Ahaz,
NIV:“Ask the Lord your God for a sign, whether in the deepest depths or in the highest heights.”
NIV:But Ahaz said, “I will not ask; I will not put the Lord to the test.”
NIV:Then Isaiah said, “Hear now, you house of David! Is it not enough to try the patience of humans? Will you try the patience of my God also?
NIV:Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.
As we can see from verse 12 king ahaz declined to ask God for a sign.
But God gave a sign, please note that the sign was not given just to ahaz but to the entire house of David.

And this prophecy was fulfilled at the birth of jesus and the house of David witnessed it, even though they didn't recognize it.

For before the child shall know [enough] to refuse the evil and choose the good, the land [Canaan] whose two kings you abhor and of whom you are in sickening dread shall be forsaken [both Ephraim and Syria] isaiah 7:16

These two Kingdoms Ephraim(israel) and Syria had already fallen to the Romans at the birth of jesus, so this prophecy was fulfilled.
according to your claim, Judea also fell alongside isreal and this was where Jesus was born because herod was the roaman King of Judea even before Jesus was born.

These areas has already falling to the Roman empire before the birth of Jesus, so how do you now explain herod a roman king trying to kill Jesus before his birth?
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Maamin(m): 12:18am On Jun 06, 2018
nwabekeyi:
I can see english alphabets in those words and not Hebrew alphebets, see Hebrew alphabets below

Lol! O I see, transliteration is your major problem.

Yeshua is the English transliteration of the Hebrew text of that very name.

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by spartan117(m): 12:19am On Jun 06, 2018
nwabekeyi:
according to you claim, Judea also fell alongside isreal and this was where Jesus was born because herod was the roam. King of Judea even before Jesus was born.

These areas has already following to the Roman empire before the birth of Jesus
The prophecy mentioned just the kingdom of Israel(Ephraim) and the Kingdom of Syria,and he said these two Kingdoms shall be forsaken. There was not a king of Syria nor was there a king of Israel during the time of jesus so the prophecy was fulfilled.

Any more questions concerning this prophecy?
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 12:20am On Jun 06, 2018
Maamin:

yes, that's what I want to hear, so how did Jesus come to be and what does it mean?
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 12:28am On Jun 06, 2018
spartan117:

The prophecy mentioned just the kingdom of Israel(Ephraim) and the Kingdom of Syria,and he said these two Kingdoms shall be forsaken. There was not a king of Syria nor was there a king of Israel during the time of jesus so the prophecy was fulfilled.
lol, is it the same Syria that still exist till date or another Syria?

You are not getting it, isreal already fell before th birth of Jesus and that's contrary to what the prophesy said, the prophesy said the kindgdom will fall after the birth of Immanuel and before Immanuel start differentiating good from bad

Think about it, don't believe things because you want to believe them. Read the prophesy again then reread what you answered, it doesn't correlate with the prophesy.

Do you guys even understand the bible at all? That's why you always call on the holy spirit, its simple English
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by MuttleyLaff: 12:33am On Jun 06, 2018
lilliesboy:
That bloody name
I rather a bloody name that saves, than one that cant or doesnt save.

lilliesboy:
- jesus, is a Latin name
So?

lilliesboy:
and that is why it is a popular household name in many Latin-American countries
It is a popular household name in many Latin-American countries because they see part of themselves represented in the name

lilliesboy:
But, it has "paganic" origins in Greek and Jewish myths.
Saying it has "paganic" origins in Greek and Jewish myths is a myth and enemy propaganda material.

Maamin:

nwabekeyi:
yes, that's what I want to hear, so how did Jesus come to be and what does it mean?
nwabekeyi, once vaxx gets back, you'll see how did Jesus come to be and what does it mean.
Watch the space

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Maamin(m): 12:36am On Jun 06, 2018
nwabekeyi:
yes, that's what I want to hear, so how did Jesus to be and what does it mean?

The same thing the Hebrew variant means, the differences is just the language in which it was translated or transliterated .

Esther = Babylonian

Hadassah = Hebraic

Moses = Egyptian

Moshey = Hebraic
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by 0temSapien: 12:43am On Jun 06, 2018
spartan117:

Read this.

Isaiah 7:16
16 For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.

You can twist things sha. Well, it's the birthmark of Christians to twist things all the time. Now read what Isaiah said will happen. He said that the two kings will forsake their lands. Pls tell me where it is written in your Bible that the two kings left(forsake) their land. Your Bible didn't say that Romans will conquer them, rather it said that they will run away from their lands.
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 12:43am On Jun 06, 2018
spartan117:

Any more questions concerning this prophecy?
you don't understand isreal and it's tribes hence you make lot of mistakes. There was no king in isreal even as at the time the prophesy was made.

Isreal has 12 tribes, the tribe of Ephraim is a subtribe from the major tribe of Joseph alongside Manasseh, so everyone from tribe Ephraim is of Joseph. Ahaz was the king of Judah which was also one of the 12 tribes, so isreal didn't have a collective king.

Now the prophesy did not say isreal will be conquered, it said "Ephraim" will be conquered. The prophesy didn't also say that Judah the kingdom of Ahaz as at then will be conquered but your illustration suggested that both Ephraim and Judah were conquered before the birth of Jesus and this is in total opposition to the prophesy.
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by 0temSapien: 12:45am On Jun 06, 2018
nwabekeyi:

You are not getting it, isreal already fell before th birth of Jesus and that's contrary to what the prophesy said, the prophesy said the kindgdom will fall after the birth of Immanuel and before Immanuel start differentiating good from bad

Think about it, don't believe things because you want to believe them. Read the prophesy again then reread what you answered, it doesn't correlate with the prophesy.

Do you guys even understand the bible at all? That's why you always call on the holy spirit, its simple English
Thumbs up for you. Let's see how he will be able to twist his way out of this.
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 12:47am On Jun 06, 2018
Maamin:

The same thing the Hebrew variant means, the differences is just the language in which it was translated or transliterated .

Esther = Babylonian

Hadassah = Hebraic

Moses = Egyptian

Moshey = Hebraic
I don't understand this, do you mean Esther has the same meaning as Moses?
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by spartan117(m): 12:59am On Jun 06, 2018
nwabekeyi:

Herod was made king over Judea. Judea is the modern name of Southern part Canaan and Part of Syria.

So herod was king at the birth of Jesus but he died before Jesus was old enough to know right from wrong, hence the prophesy according to Isaiah was fulfilled.
https://bible.org/article/birth-jesus-christ

Any more questions?

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Maamin(m): 1:04am On Jun 06, 2018
nwabekeyi:
I don't understand this, do you mean Esther has the same meaning as Moses?

No!

Just drawing other similar references that's all

While it seems like you have edited your initial comment, here is a screen shot from abarim publications about the Egyptian etymology of the name Moses
Though not 100% agreed on that site.

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by spartan117(m): 1:05am On Jun 06, 2018
0temSapien:

Isaiah 7:16
16 For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.

You can twist things sha. Well, it's the birthmark of Christians to twist things all the time. Now read what Isaiah said will happen. He said that the two kings will forsake their lands. Pls tell me where it is written in your Bible that the two kings left(forsake) their land. Your Bible didn't say that Romans will conquer them, rather it said that they will run away from their lands.
He never said two kings will forsake their land, he said he will forsake the land of Canaan which happened to have 2 kings in it at that time.

For before the child shall know [enough] to refuse the evil and choose the good, the land [Canaan] whose two kings you abhor and of whom you are in sickening dread shall be forsaken [both Ephraim and Syria]. Isaiah 7:16

At the time the prophesy was fulfilled, the land of Canaan happened to have just one king. That is king herod of Judea (which comprises Ephraim and Syria I.e Canaan)
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by spartan117(m): 1:06am On Jun 06, 2018
@nwabekeyi I'll answer any more questions tomorrow. Good night wink
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by 0temSapien: 1:10am On Jun 06, 2018
spartan117:

He never said two kings will forsake their land, he said he will forsake the land of Canaan which happened to have 2 kings in it at that time.

For before the child shall know [enough] to refuse the evil and choose the good, the land [Canaan] whose two kings you abhor and of whom you are in sickening dread shall be forsaken [both Ephraim and Syria]. Isaiah 7:16

At the time the prophesy was fulfilled, the land of Canaan happened to have just one king. That is king herod of Judea (which comprises Ephraim and Syria I.e Canaan)
happy twisting...

...shall be forsaken of both her kings...
Twisted to: who will forsake the land, pls?
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by lilliesboy(m): 1:11am On Jun 06, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
I rather a bloody name that saves, than one that doesn't
WHO and WHO has that bloody name saved apart from saving you from reasoning like an intelligent human being instead of like an animal in the jungle?

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 1:14am On Jun 06, 2018
spartan117:

Herod was made king over Judea. Judea is the modern name of Southern part Canaan and Part of Syria.

So herod was king at the birth of Jesus but he died before Jesus was old enough to know right from wrong, hence the prophesy according to Isaiah was fulfilled.
https://bible.org/article/birth-jesus-christ

Any more questions?
lol, why can't you just say you don't know something instead of making several flaws cheesy, you keep running from pillar to pole.

1. Herod wasn't the king who tormented Ahaz, herod is not from the tribe of Ephraim nor syria, herod is Roman. You really messed up here cheesy

2. Herod died at 39AD, so that doesnt account for the part of the prophesy that said the king will die before Immanuel know difference between good and bad.

Just tell us that you don't have the answers instead of goofing, there's no shame in that

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by MuttleyLaff: 1:15am On Jun 06, 2018
lilliesboy:
WHO and WHO has that bloody name saved apart from saving you from reasoning like an intelligent human being instead of like an animal in the jungle?
Are we getting especially mouthy now like a four-year-old brat?

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 1:18am On Jun 06, 2018
Maamin:

No!

Just drawing other similar references that's all

While it seems like you have edited your initial comment, here is a screen shot from abarim publications about the Egyptian etymology of the name Moses
Though not 100% agreed on that site.
the Hebrew and Egypt version Moses means to different things, read it well, so how come Yeshua and Jesus will mean the same thing?

Two different transliteration from one source, that doesn't make any sense, we know what yeshua means, we are still yet to find out what Jesus means
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by MuttleyLaff: 1:24am On Jun 06, 2018
nwabekeyi:
the Hebrew and Egypt version Moses means to different things, read it well, so how come Yeshua and Jesus will mean the same thing?

Two different transliteration from one source,
that doesn't make any sense, we know what yeshua means, we are still yet to find out what Jesus means
I've told you already that once vaxx gets back, you WILL find out what Jesus means nwabekeyi
Hang on to your knickers, cos when you do, it's going to be a simple and easy fun ride.
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 1:26am On Jun 06, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
I've told you already that once vaxx gets back, you WILL find out what Jesus means nwabekeyi
Hang on to your knickers, cos when you do, it's going to be a simple and easy fun ride.
I'm really very curious to know, if I must accept a name, I should know everything about that name. Its safer that way
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by MuttleyLaff: 1:37am On Jun 06, 2018
nwabekeyi:
I'm really very curious to know
https://www.nairaland.com/4544398/somebody-explain-me-how-arrived/1#68216015

nwabekeyi, although its you who opened the thread, remember, it was vaxx who sent out my invite
so no matter how impatient you're becoming, we just have to await vaxx and his reply to the above link

nwabekeyi:
if I must accept a name, I should know everything about that name. Its safer that way
This your pursuit of accurate understanding is an admirable quality
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by spartan117(m): 7:52am On Jun 06, 2018
nwabekeyi:
lol, why can't you just say you don't know something instead of making several flaws cheesy, you keep running from pillar to pole.

1. Herod wasn't the king who tormented Ahaz, herod is not from the tribe of Ephraim nor syria, herod is Roman. You really messed up here cheesy

2. Herod died at 39AD, so that doesnt account for the part of the prophesy that said the king will die before Immanuel know difference between good and bad.

Just tell us that you don't have the answers instead of goofing, there's no shame in that

Herod was a usurper that was appointed king by the Romans just as pekah king of Israel at the time the prophesy was made was also a usurper of the throne. Please note that the prophesy was not against the house of David, but against the two Kingdoms that were in Canaan (usurpers)

And say to him, Take heed and be quiet; fear not, neither be fainthearted because of these two stumps of smoking firebrands—at the fierce anger of [the Syrian King] Rezin and Syria and of the son of Remaliah [Pekah, usurper of the throne of Israel]. Isaiah 7:4

And try to verify your facts. Historians postulate that jesus was taken to Egypt in order to flee herod as a baby , herod died while jesus was still very young, they didn't have to spend long in Egypt before herod died.

Herod died in 1bc not 49ad as you claim it's utterly ridiculous to think that he died at 49ad undecided where did you get this fact from

https://strangenotions.com/jesus-birth-and-when-herod-the-great-really-died/

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by spartan117(m): 7:57am On Jun 06, 2018
0temSapien:
happy twisting...

...shall be forsaken of both her kings...
Twisted to: who will forsake the land, pls?
This dude lacks sound understanding undecided

Read the scripture again, take it very slowly, then if you can't figure that out then I can't help you.

:For before the child shall know [enough] to refuse the evil and choose the good, the land [Canaan] whose two kings you abhor and of whom you are in sickening dread shall be forsaken [both Ephraim and Syria]. Isaiah 7:16
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by johnydon22(m): 9:20am On Jun 06, 2018
realmindz:

@johnydon22, I know you have been observing this otem for a while....As an intelligent being, what do you make of him? He has written up to 100 pages with consistency and sequence. Plus histories of several tribes and cultures which makes me wonder.

The very first time I came across Otem's write ups on this board, that is, he was just starting up.

I thought they were nonsense but I also thought it can only take a mad genius to spin out such masterpieces with accuracy and amazing consistency.

Now, years later. I still think it's nonsense but still more than ever confirm that Otem is an incredibly mad genius that deserves full accolades for his ingenuity, consistency and creativity.

Summary: Otem is a mad genius.

2 Likes

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 9:24am On Jun 06, 2018
spartan117:

Herod was a usurper that was appointed king by the Romans just as pekah king of Israel at the time the prophesy was made was also a usurper of the throne. Please note that the prophesy was not against the house of David, but against the two Kingdoms that were in Canaan (usurpers)

And say to him, Take heed and be quiet; fear not, neither be fainthearted because of these two stumps of smoking firebrands—at the fierce anger of [the Syrian King] Rezin and Syria and of the son of Remaliah [Pekah, usurper of the throne of Israel]. Isaiah 7:4

And try to verify your facts. Historians postulate that jesus was taken to Egypt in order to flee herod as a baby , herod died while jesus was still very young, they didn't have to spend long in Egypt before herod died.

Herod died in 1bc not 49ad as you claim it's utterly ridiculous to think that he died at 49ad undecided where did you get this fact from

https://strangenotions.com/jesus-birth-and-when-herod-the-great-really-died/
you are getting it all wrong Sir, accept that you don't know it, there's no shame in it.

I must have misconstrued Herod's death, I was wrong

But you are totally wrong in all your attempts to twist the story, herod was not the king of Ephraim or Syria, he was the roman king of Judea (Judah), the same kingdom that Azah ruled when the prophesy came.

The prophesy was meant to conquer Ephraim and Syria, not Judea
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 9:28am On Jun 06, 2018
spartan117:

This dude lacks sound understanding undecided

Read the scripture again, take it very slowly, then if you can't figure that out then I can't help you.

:For before the child shall know [enough] to refuse the evil and choose the good, the land [Canaan] whose two kings you abhor and of whom you are in sickening dread shall be forsaken [both Ephraim and Syria]. Isaiah 7:16
you are the person that lacks sound understanding of Israeli tribes.

The prophesy was meant for Ephraim and Syria to be conquered, not Judea, Judea was the land that was said by the prophesy to be victorious and its this same Judea that herod ruled.

Again, the story doesn't concern herod at all, not one bit, the story is suppose to concern the ruler of Ephraim and Syria
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by spartan117(m): 9:30am On Jun 06, 2018
nwabekeyi:
you are the person that lacks sound understanding of Israeli tribes.

The prophesy was meant for Ephraim and Syria to be conquered, not Judea, Judea was the land that was said by the prophesy to be victorious and its this same Judea that herod ruled.

Again, the story doesn't concern herod at all, not one bit, the story is suppose to concern the ruler of Ephraim and Syria
Ok this discussion is beginning to travel around in circles if that's what you want to believe, it's OK. Have a nice day wink
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 9:34am On Jun 06, 2018
spartan117:

Ok this discussion is beginning to travel around in circles if that's what you want to believe, it's OK. Have a nice day wink
it's not all about what you and I believe, it's all about what facts present...

I'm still waiting for the meaning of Jesus

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Life: There Are No Rights Or Wrongs. Good Or Evil - Opinion By Hardmirror / Shiloh 2020: The Too Many Blunders Of Bishop Oyedepo (A Must Read) / Browsing Free Using Cheat Codes; How Do You See It As A Christian!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.