Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,434 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:33 AM

Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics (62973 Views)

FG Approves Abolition Of HND/BSC Dichotomy / HND Certificates’ Long Road To Obliteration / 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by janeobasi24: 8:38am On Jun 06, 2018
airsaylongcon:

I disagree that B. Tech is higher than a B. Sc for the same course. I'm a Computer Science B. Sc grad and in no way see no value addition why someone from say FUTA will spend 5 years in uni studying the same course and get a B. Tech. It's exactly the some course content whether in a Tech U or regular Uni

I disagree with you Sir.... University of Technology offers additional courses. Did you do courses like Engineering Drawing, Engineering Workshop Practice etc?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by flimsy2(m): 8:40am On Jun 06, 2018
why two polytechnic? what about the rest,smh
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Ken4Christ: 8:40am On Jun 06, 2018
If the scheme of work for the Bachelor in Technology and HND is not different, it is an indirect way of making the polytechnic certificate equal to the university degree. This is fraud.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by kazyhm(m): 8:40am On Jun 06, 2018
mapet:

You alleged myopic reforms, yet you gave opinion that is just a concoction of flowery words. Reduce the number of conventional universities? how? Cancel or withdraw license? outright close-down? or what exactly? How exactly are Universities of Technology and Polytechnics going to empower middle class?

My tots are that you do not understand this intiative, what intent it was to serve and how it ties into aspiration to properly integrate polytechnic graduate correctly into the "system". What I see you do is an attempt to denigrate this initiative with a rather confusing/confused submission.

I slightly disagree with you sir........i dont subscribe to a cosmetic solutions.

Nigeria's problem is beyond integrating Poly. grad. into the system because they are already in the system, some are even making it big but not contented because probably a colleague with a different qualification is earning more.

i'm suggesting a long lasting opinion for the development of the nation not for an individual. if things are done with future in our mind, so many other things will fall in place.

Middle class is the driving force of any sane society but reverse is the case in Nigeria.

My words/opinion is flowery because i understand beyond surface the problem at hand. i'm directly affected by the system, we should solve our problems holistically rather than romancing it.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Nedfed(m): 8:44am On Jun 06, 2018
mapet:

Lemme guess,

1. You didn't read beyond the headlines
2. You just want to "vent" your pain.....

I no idiiiiots like u will talk
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by amliftedhigher: 8:44am On Jun 06, 2018
This information is very old. This was in 2016 and since then it has not taken effect. Polytechnics are still admitting HND and ND.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Throwback: 8:52am On Jun 06, 2018
janeobasi24:

Yes dear..... FUTO awards B.Tech and B.Eng( Engineers)
I am a FUTO graduate

Exactly my point.

I know FUTO awards B.Eng for their engineering programme.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by gaby(m): 8:53am On Jun 06, 2018
Nedfed:
I was in my ND1 in 2006 when they came with such promises of scrapping HND and adopt B.tech but all was false. After my ND programme with a year Industrial Training (IT) I crossed to the university to further my studies. My people this is 2018 (12yrs after) I av banged Degree, Master's Degree and also running some professional programs yet Polytechnics have not stop awarding HND to their products. Am not here to discriminate cos polytechnics still stand has a gateway to my success but just that don't be deceive by this so called useless govt of our country. Believe in yourself and what you have and I see will all achieving our DREAMS.

Bro, not calling you out per se but please do improve on your writing.I can't believe a degree holder would be writing the way you do, haba.You even have a Masters Degree??
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Jackossky(m): 8:53am On Jun 06, 2018
Firmjudge:

All Federal University of Technology issue a B.tech certificate which is usually or often rated above Bsc.
I guess you never knew.

Lesson 1: Don't ever rush to comment.

Smiles.
It all sounds good on paper.
Remember back then when they said they removed the dichotomy between HND and BSC?

Do you really think it was done? Employers still had such mindset, so it was only on paper.
Maybe you think I am against HND, but wait, my elder brother is in poly; HND 2, I once attended Lagos poly but that doesn't mean we should be delusional when analysing.
Thanks
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Firmjudge(m): 9:00am On Jun 06, 2018
topaz321:

You are the one rushing to comment here. Not all the Federal University of Technology issue B.tech my friend. What happens to B.eng? Make your findings well before coming to comment.

Rushers!!!
All Fed Uni Issue B.Tech, its exclusive to Fed Uni of Tech alone..
Whos talking about B.eng which we all know is exclusive to Engr and the likes.
I have a B.tech and i know whats in.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Fitnessman(m): 9:03am On Jun 06, 2018
It's nice

Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by dannyoungstick(m): 9:06am On Jun 06, 2018
[b][/b]This news has been out since when?[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by nevilbot: 9:07am On Jun 06, 2018
Jackossky:
So, what's the difference between B. Tech and HND.
We can just simply say, certificate changed name.
So, it will still face the same discrimination.
Do you remember when NEPA was changed to PHCN?
What's the difference between the two?

Very wrong submission. Universities of technology in Nigeria from time immemorial like futa, futo , futminna , lautech have been awarding b.tech since I could remember. I have a b.tech certificate from lautech and no one ever discriminated it cus b.tech is same level as b.sc or b.edu or b.Mls. they are all bachelor degrees!!
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Nobody: 9:09am On Jun 06, 2018
bobosydney:
Nigeria begin to wake up now , and in around the world there is nothing called HND in this century. Nigeria still operating backward and expired education and no wonder Nigeria wasn’t recognized in abroad. I’ve been to college and university in abroad and they only use B.Tech college and BSC for university around the world.

[b]Did u just choose to post this information becos u want to have a strong point...because what u said about HND not existing anywhere in the world is not even remotely true..

please use ur internet, advanced country such as England, Ireland , scotland, Finland and so on still use polytechnics and issue HND. What doesn't happen anywhere in the world is converting a polytechnic to a university without first upgrading it's academic, infrastructural and research capabilities..
who will teach in those places after conversion? How many university let alone polytechnic can boast of a handful number of proffesors or atleast PHd holders with wealth of published reviews and research as their lecturers...

These are some of the reasons we don't measure up internationally, it's not just about giving an institution a university title or roll out Bachelor degrees.

yes! These might help to remove discrimination in the labour market which is what some pple are happy about...but does it in anyway help our decaying enducational system.?[/b]
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Tunagee(m): 9:10am On Jun 06, 2018
The current HND enrollees should better fail all courses now and carry over so as to graduate with a B.Tech next year when implementation of the new policy takes effect. Otherwise they would still graduate with HND this year
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Yhelay(m): 9:12am On Jun 06, 2018
Yankiss:

Rated higher than B.Sc. by who?? Say what you know. I obtained B.Sc. Engineering in five years.
I guess u are saying for someone, which school awards B.Sc Engineering?
oga it's B. Eng

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Nobody: 9:14am On Jun 06, 2018
Tunagee:
The current HND enrollees should better fail all courses now and carry over so as to graduate with a B.Tech next year when implementation of the new policy takes effect. Otherwise they would still graduate with HND this year

Too much brain....but this is Nigeria...that can backfire because..this has been spoken of b4, and they never implemented it

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by ademoladeji(m): 9:14am On Jun 06, 2018
Yankiss:

Rated higher than B.Sc. by who?? Say what you know. I obtained B.Sc. Engineering in five years.

From which school?

I obtained B.Eng Civil Engineering
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Jackossky(m): 9:15am On Jun 06, 2018
nevilbot:

Very wrong submission. Universities of technology in Nigeria from time immemorial like futa, futo , futminna , lautech have been awarding b.tech since I could remember. I have a b.tech certificate from lautech and no one ever discriminated it cus b.tech is same level as b.sc or b.edu or b.Mls. they are all bachelor degrees!!

And that is before the proposed merging.
Wait and see what happens next.
Cheers
We will still be alive by then.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Yankiss(m): 9:17am On Jun 06, 2018
ademoladeji:

From which school?

I obtained B.Eng Civil Engineering
The University of Lagos.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by donqx: 9:20am On Jun 06, 2018
hmm
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by donqx: 9:20am On Jun 06, 2018
hmmm
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Horlaz(m): 9:20am On Jun 06, 2018
Firmjudge:

All Federal University of Technology issue a B.tech certificate which is usually or often rated above Bsc.
I guess you never knew.

Lesson 1: Don't ever rush to comment.
even state university of Technology

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Dreadful: 9:21am On Jun 06, 2018
Provision for conversion of our HND certificates in our awarding institutions which will now become campuses to proximate universities should be made for those of us who would want to convert our HND to B.Tech cos I'll be one of them who would love to do that cos like in Falz voice.... This is Nigeria!!!
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Studyinchina200(m): 9:22am On Jun 06, 2018
Na wa for Naija system

Contact me if you want study for china ,no scholarships,no work in china as well.

Add my WhatsApp below

Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by mfm04622: 9:25am On Jun 06, 2018
Jackossky:
So, what's the difference between B. Tech and HND.
We can just simply say, certificate changed name.
So, it will still face the same discrimination.
Do you remember when NEPA was changed to PHCN?
What's the difference between the two?

The change will start from the curriculum which will now be monitored by universities. Then I believe the duration will be increased to 3 or 4 years. For universities that already run same program, it will be like direct entry admission to the program. Quality of lecturers in polytechnics will also improve to same standard as that of universities
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by mfm04622: 9:26am On Jun 06, 2018
Dreadful:
Provision for conversion of our HND certificates in our awarding institutions which will now become campuses to proximate universities should be made for those of us who would want to convert our HND to B.Tech cos I'll be one of them who would love to do that cos like in Falz voice.... This is Nigeria!!!

Don't waste your time and money. HND and degree are now equal. You don't need to convert anything.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by autonomous22: 9:29am On Jun 06, 2018
Galadimat:

how can u compare B TECH with HND. It takes good 5 years to obtain the former in any university of technology and its rated higher than BSC.

Plz enlighten him....
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by mfm04622: 9:33am On Jun 06, 2018
Jackossky:

And that is before the proposed merging.
Wait and see what happens next.
Cheers
We will still be alive by then.

There won't be any discrimination. It is the university that supervises the Polytechnic that will issue the certificate. It is already a known fact that B. Tech is a degree. There are many types of degree. I myself have a B. Eng
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by billtommy(m): 9:35am On Jun 06, 2018
The main purpose is the eliminate completely the discrimination between certificates, if this can be carried out effectively without issues......Its is a welcome development. I still think this whole thing for the student is a state of mind.....not all about the certificates or place of study....its simply psychological. The whole educational system of the country is in shambles, it needs a total revamp.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by mfm04622: 9:38am On Jun 06, 2018
shankara7:
Adamu Adamu is a confused goat.

In fact, this is a GREAT plan for Nigeria education
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Jackossky(m): 9:38am On Jun 06, 2018
mfm04622:

There won't be any discrimination. It is the university that supervises the Polytechnic that will issue the certificate. It is already a known fact that B. Tech is a degree. There are many types of degree. I myself have a B. Eng
That's because you studied an engineering course in a full fledged University.

Bachelor of science
Because of Art
Beachelor of engineering

All these can be said to be in the same league.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes / Emmanuel Ohuabunwa Earned 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University / Masturbation Notice At The University Of Waterloo, Toronto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.