Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,613 members, 7,809,246 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:38 AM

How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card (27088 Views)

No Major Fraud Is Committed Without The Connivance Of Bank Officials - EFCC / How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits / Why I Withdrew My Suit Against EFCC — Innoson CEO Innocent Chukwuma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by oluplus(m): 12:42pm On Jun 06, 2018
Op, I can confidently tell you that the bank officials did not withdraw your money, as you claim. If you had changed your PIN from the default pin, then they do not know your pin. I understand how you feel but let me enlighten you. It is fraudsters at work. There is a key logger they attach to ATMs, which does not only trap your card, but also captures your password when you entered it. So, probably those guys came back to remove the logger with your card and then had access to your fund.

Diamond bank will be liable, nonetheless because CBN regulations on the use of ATM mandates all banks to put anti skimming device on all ATMs. Antiskimming device would have detected the strange object and trip off the machine. So it's either they didn't install it or it is malfunctioning.

Channel your complian to the consumer protection Dept of the nearest CBN, also follow the issue up with the Nigerian police. I don't advice you pay them the 5k. You can include that in your letter to the CBN. They will demand for the CCTV footage from diamond,. You will definitely see those guys come back for your card. My concern is where was the security man attached to the machine when they came back for the card? He surely has some questions to answer. Hope this helps

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by Medunah: 12:43pm On Jun 06, 2018
@infocabal, I can feel your pain o.

Something similar happened to me, I even opened threads about it. My atm card was stolen and all my money was used to buy stuffs online. I disturbed Gtbank like mad. I called them out on Twitter, disturbed the customer care people till they referred me to the manager. I disturbed them to the extent that the bank called from their head office to clarify what happened. I also kept on disturbing the website to cancel the order made with my atm but they said they can't cancel the order because I don't know the full 16 digits on my card since it's not with me again.
After all my wahala, they refunded the money about 2 months after.

The key thing here is, do not sleep on the issue, disturb first Bank, also disturb diamond bank until your money comes out.

Due to this issue that happened to me, I now have 2 bank accounts. The main one is where I keep most of my money and I don't have ATM card for this account (I withdraw over the counter when I need money from this account).
The 2nd one Is the one I have atm card for and I don't have more than 5k in it, once it starts exceeding 5k, I transfer the excess to my other account. So even if my atm card is stolen, it won't hurt me that much.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jun 06, 2018
infocabal:
Good day my fellow Nairalanders.

I have been hearing of this issue, I didn't believe until it happened to me last week.

I went to withdraw money from Diamond Bank ATM in Gwagwalada, Abuja around 9pm. When it was my turn, I slotted in my ATM card entered my Pin and entered the amount of withdrawal. Only for the Machine to be hang, I was then pressing the red button so it reject my card but alas, it Swallowed my Card.

So disappointed, I told the security man, he said there is nothing can be done, that I should go to my bank which is first Bank to get another ATM card.

I went home that night only for me to be seeing alert of N20,065 four times... And 15,065 once.

And the withdrawal location is in Wuse 2, which is about 50km away from Gwagwalada. My account was emptied and only me know my PIN. Even my wife doesn't know it.

So the next morning I went to first Bank to complain about the matter, and they told me someone withdrew the money in another location. I told them how possible is that? When
1. Am the only one that know my PIN
2. The location of withdrawal is 50mins away and I got alert less than that time.
3. The card was swallowed up by Diamond bank ATM and I still waited for it to come out but it didn't.

Infact, the customer care lady said, 2 other people came to complain about the same incident from the same location where my ATM was swallowed.

I was told to visit Diamond bank or the Police.
Quickly I went to police station to lay my complain.
Only for the DPO to tell me to bring N5, 000 to write letter to the bank.
And I told him, where will i get the money from, when they have withdrew all the money in my account.

To cut the long story short, we are still on the matter, I was even made to know that bank officials connive to criminals to get swallowed atm card and correlating PIN, don't really know how true this is.

It's becoming a rampant case gradually, rhetoric relevant authority should be informed please.

The N65 appendage on amounts dispensed is simple remote-on-us charges, that is how it shows on your statement when you withdraw from ATMs other your own bank.

The card was not swallowed by the ATM, rather, the Diamond machine he used had a skimmer device attached and the bank guard was definitely in on it. The card was retrieved from the skimmer after the OP had left. Of course that guard thought he was protecting himself by asking his asociates not to use the retrieved card on the same machine at the initial location, so the thieves went all the way to Wuse to use the card.

ATM locations usually have CCTV installed and trained/focused to include the general vicinity of the machines, if they check the footage that guard and his friends would have been captured on film when they were putting the skimmer in place and also retrieving cards from it.

6 Likes

Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by Omooba77: 12:49pm On Jun 06, 2018
infocabal:

I have been hearing of this issue, I didn't believe until it happened to me last week.

I went to withdraw money from Diamond Bank ATM in Gwagwalada, Abuja around 9pm. When it was my turn, I slotted in my ATM card entered my Pin and entered the amount of withdrawal. Only for the Machine to be hang, I was then pressing the red button so it reject my card but alas, it Swallowed my Card.

So disappointed, I told the security man, he said there is nothing can be done, that I should go to my bank which is first Bank to get another ATM card.

I went home that night only for me to be seeing alert of N20,065 four times... And 15,065 once.

And the withdrawal location is in Wuse 2, which is about 50km away from Gwagwalada. My account was emptied and only me know my PIN. Even my wife doesn't know it.

So the next morning I went to first Bank to complain about the matter, and they told me someone withdrew the money in another location. I told them how possible is that? When
2. The location of withdrawal is 50mins away and I got alert less than that time.
3. The card was swallowed up by Diamond bank ATM and I still waited for it to come out but it didn't.

Infact, the customer care lady said, 2 other people came to complain about the same incident from the same location where my ATM was swallowed.

And I told him, where will i get the money from, when they have withdrew all the money in my account.

To cut the long story short, we are still on the matter, I was even made to know that bank officials connive to criminals to get swallowed atm card and correlating PIN, don't really know how true this is.

It's becoming a rampant case gradually, rhetoric relevant authority should be informed please.

Please write firstcontact@firstbanknigeria.com
complaints@diamondbank.com

Also, please how did you get back your ATM card and when?
All these will serve as documented evidences..If your card was still in the machine when those withdrawals took place. Diamond or Firstbank have questions to answer
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by catofin(m): 12:55pm On Jun 06, 2018
Same thing happen to me in 2016 I misplace Mai ATM inside marwa around 6pm only to be seeing alart later in the night
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by aztec007: 1:06pm On Jun 06, 2018
This is why I always transfer money into the account with card before I withdraw. I use the mobile app to transfer from one Stanbic account with no card to another Stanbic with card. Even if the ATM swallows the card I will just transfer back to the account with no card. There will be no money in the card to steal.
We are just crooks in this country, the mentality is so bad. People don’t want to work hard but want the good things in life.

4 Likes

Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by lovechardy: 1:11pm On Jun 06, 2018
OP its not telling us the full gist, probably som1 was behind him pretending to assist him with the transaction, swapped his card and lied its has bin trapped.
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by jaxxy(m): 1:27pm On Jun 06, 2018
OboOlora:
Op is an illiterate cheesy

The machine trapped ur card and u couldn’t just use a shortcode to block it instantly? U do knowna trapped card can’t be retrieved right? Now u have lost over 50k instead of just 1k for a new card.

U deserve to be stoned to death!!!

Unless he's blocking his account its useless cos such cunning criminals don't even need his atm to do such damage. Im 100% sure his details was compromised at the atm either through a camera or sm device put on the atm which takes ur pin. The security men might be in on it or sm1 in the bank. All he can do know is trace where the withdrawal was made and query that branch for the atm video and pic atbthat time. Also confirm the customs service actually received his card and destroyed at the branch it got stuck. That can bust the syndicate.
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by wasiudvd(m): 1:30pm On Jun 06, 2018
Stoned to death ke? Kilagbe kileju?

OboOlora:
Op is an illiterate cheesy

The machine trapped ur card and u couldn’t just use a shortcode to block it instantly? U do knowna trapped card can’t be retrieved right? Now u have lost over 50k instead of just 1k for a new card.

U deserve to be stoned to death!!!

1 Like

Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by Phyde: 1:32pm On Jun 06, 2018
infocabal:

You account officer can still help you get the atm video clip of the gallery it was withdrawn. Not a big issue.
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by Wale2016: 1:33pm On Jun 06, 2018
[img][/img]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by Yankee101: 1:50pm On Jun 06, 2018
Write CBN Consumer complaint unit. They MUST pay you back. With interest
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by tabaski: 2:04pm On Jun 06, 2018
Oga u need to be sincere here. Has ur pin been comprised earlier before the transaction? Cases abound where miscreants loitering around atm terminals offer unsolicited help to atm customers and systematically swap the customer card with the one with them after extracting d pin from d customer somehow. I doubt if any atm custodian will connive with fraudsters to do what u claimed without knowing ur pin. My take though
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by donshaddow(m): 2:04pm On Jun 06, 2018
infocabal:

With the help of the security and staff of the bank. The ATM was bugged and there was a mini camera which recorded your pin. More so, there's an insurance for banks for you should get refund! Goodluck.
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by donshaddow(m): 2:06pm On Jun 06, 2018
GidiWoodsMan:

The N65 appendage on amounts dispensed is simple remote-on-us charges, that is how it shows on your statement when you withdraw from ATMs other your own bank.

The card was not swallowed by the ATM, rather, the Diamond machine he used had a skimmer device attached and the bank guard was definitely in on it. The card was retrieved from the skimmer after the OP had left. Of course that guard thought he was protecting himself by asking his asociates not to use the retrieved card on the same machine at the initial location, so the thieves went all the way to Wuse to use the card.

ATM locations usually have CCTV installed and trained/focused to include the general vicinity of the machines, if they check the footage that guard and his friends would have been captured on film when they were putting the skimmer in place and also retrieving cards from it.
You got the whole process right. You be sabi boi
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by 400billionman: 2:23pm On Jun 06, 2018
infocabal:

My brother listen carefully PREVENTION is better than cure DO not leave large balances in any of your accounts linked to an ATM card unless amounts you can forgo SECONDLY do not use one bank's ATM card on another bank's machine so you can know who to hold incase of irregularities
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by airoport: 2:26pm On Jun 06, 2018
stefanweeks:
Take heart bro

The country is messed up

Try and write to CBN fraud unit
As quickly as possible!
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by captain1990(f): 2:30pm On Jun 06, 2018
Diamond bank will definitely be held responsible for this issue. This fraud was perpetrated as a result of a non functioning anti -skimming device... Secondly from the narratives of your debit alert, I can attest that the money was not dispensed via the terminal you inserted your card. Rather, it was hacked into by a professional.
My best suggestion is use the social media to fight your battle. Write on their twitter account, facebook, instagram... Infact get the services of a well known blogger to help you.. You will definitely get your money back

1 Like

Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by honyham: 2:46pm On Jun 06, 2018
The two bank u mentioned may not do anything about the matter they are like civil service, more important issue happened to me with first bank in Kaduna last week it took them one week to post a local cheques and the account officer, could not reply his mail 72 hours after
Get a good lawyer to handle the issue
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 3:02pm On Jun 06, 2018
Your Opinion. Thanks for this. However, you should check our signature and reach out to us by clicking on the WhatsApp link or call us.
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by Mcslize: 3:03pm On Jun 06, 2018
teemy:
Main suspect is the guard. They have the access to help you retrieve your card from the ATM if stuck. Guess this one yard that grant to perpetuate misdeeds.

This is not true. Guards don't have access to retrieving of trapped ATM cards.
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by AceVentura: 3:04pm On Jun 06, 2018
The ATM was laced with a device that extracts PIN from the card.

If you want your money returned to you, threaten to write to CBN/ Bankers' Committee, Usain Bolt no go fir keep up with them.
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by Chpstcks(m): 3:04pm On Jun 06, 2018
Chances are you were conned by fraudsters.
There are devices they attache to standalone ATMs
They trap your card and they get you pin by aid of a camera they attach at the side of the terminal.
Saw this device on one of our terminals years back.

So sorry.
Make a report though

1 Like

Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by sinaj(f): 3:09pm On Jun 06, 2018
kimbraa:
Are you listening to yourself? What's a security man's business with an ATM card that was swallowed by the ATM? grin

They don't even have access to that ATM room.
I think they do. A security man has retrieved my card in the evening b4.

Atms ejects swallowed card after the owner has left atimes.
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by sinaj(f): 3:10pm On Jun 06, 2018
Mcslize:

This is not true. Guards don't have access to retrieving of trapped ATM cards.
Some have access to it Sir.
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by xammy1stlady: 4:05pm On Jun 06, 2018
I am very sorry about your lost, but base on your post this is a clear case of ATM swap. Your ATM was not trapped in the first place and very sure this is not the whole story.

You might have innocently give room to a thirdparty at the ATM point, which is the opportunity they need to swap your card. As advice by go to your bank to complaint.
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by isah80: 4:17pm On Jun 06, 2018
Please, can someone tell me how an ATM machine can pay 20065 naira to an individual?

Or are people not seeing the amount the ATM in wuse was paying there?

Even if the alert for 65 naira charges will come, it doesn't come together with the money you withdrew.

Let us be wise.
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by ademoladeji(m): 4:31pm On Jun 06, 2018
infocabal:

Simply go to Twitter to tweet CBN and EFCC.

Na financial crime
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by ademoladeji(m): 4:34pm On Jun 06, 2018
isah80:
Please, can someone tell me how an ATM machine can pay 20065 naira to an individual?

Or are people not seeing the amount the ATM in wuse was paying there?

Even if the alert for 65 naira charges will come, it doesn't come together with the money you withdrew.

Let us be wise.

Mr. Wise man,

The #65 comes together with the main withdrawal when sms is being received from some banks.

GTB separates it but Fidelity doesn't
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by Boschh(m): 4:45pm On Jun 06, 2018
This ain't skimming.. An Insider is involved in this Hack..

The Poster said "Location of the Withdrawal is Wuse".. Wuse is about 50 minutes from Gwagwalada and the Withdrawals started in a lesser time frame after the ATM card stuck..
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by SirBunky85(m): 5:25pm On Jun 06, 2018
Divay22:
Aunty what is the shortcode ?
I'm also interested in the response
Re: How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card by wonlasewonimi: 5:30pm On Jun 06, 2018
Boschh:
This ain't skimming.. An Insider is involved in this Hack..

The Poster said "Location of the Withdrawal is Wuse".. Wuse is about 50 minutes from Gwagwalada and the Withdrawals started in a lesser time frame after the ATM card stuck..

So someone inside knows he is going to come to the ATM at that time of the day and dodge behind the machine to get his card stuck in order to use it to fap his money?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! / 4 Habits Of Financially Smart People / Queues At The ATM & Banking Hall: Share Your Experiences/Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.