Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,934 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

From London: Official Super Eagle Team List - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / From London: Official Super Eagle Team List (12899 Views)

Official: Super Eagles Playmaker Watch / Kelechi Iheanacho Makes Manchester City US Tour Team List / Nigeria U17 Team List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by ochukoccna: 2:07pm On May 31, 2010
1forall:

Something definitely wrong with our football. Ahn ahn, no Anichebe but Yakubu!! Beats my comprehension!
EXACTLY MY FIRST THOUGHTS AND 1st post.
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by ochukoccna: 2:09pm On May 31, 2010
medjai:

I dont understand what Etuhu is doing in that team. He should have been dropped for one of the home based.
ETUHU is in the team to play. tongue tongue tongue tongue
WHY?
Go and review Fulham past season and ask how he could play in an European Cup final if he was bad.
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by Sagamite(m): 2:09pm On May 31, 2010
komekn:

Sagamite,

I am somewhat perplexed as it concerns Anichibe, however, i want to remain positive, i have it on good authority the training sessions were comprehensive unbiased, objectively structured and my guess is that Yak may have decided to move his legs for fear of being dropped as it concerns Kanu i think its just sentiment.

But there are more positives now compared to the clueless Amodu and remember England's resurgence under Capello is with essentially the same players that the clueless McClaren used.

We have learned in recent times that the main ingredient for any team is the Manager, Chelsea, Barcelona and Bayern have all fallen to the tactical genius  of the specail one.

You mean you have it also on good authority the training sessions under Amodu were comprehensive biased, subjectively structured?

Here we go with your rationalisation of Lagerback's decision, but if it was Amodu, he is clueless.

If Amodu needs to score a goal and then replaces a DM with a CM, he is a fool for not bringing in an attacker.

I saw in the champions league your Guardiola bringing in a DM to replace a striker when losing a game.

I also saw him replacing 6ft 5 Ibrahimovic with 5ft 7 Bojan when they needed to score 2 goals to remain in the competition and their passing was being stopped by Inter. One would have expected them to go aerial for a change but he added another relatively short player and had FOUR 5ft 7 strikers upfront and the midfield continued crossing the ball. Worst thing was that Ibrahimovic is even more skilful and was more likely to produce a moment of magic. Anyway they could not score and lost the game and were out of CL.

But Guardiola would remain a god, if Amodu did the same thing, he is a fool.
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by SUKKIE(m): 2:13pm On May 31, 2010
mikeansy:

Victor Moses, Cartlene Cole, Nedum Onuoha, Agbonlahor they will all be laughing Anichebe right now.

We spent months luring English players to switch allegiance, the only one who showed dedication right from on-set is being shown the very reason others prefer to play for other countries.
Can someone kindly tell me why Danny Shittu, Kalu Uche, Yakubu are going to world cup but Anichebe is not?.

I feel for Anichebe,he deserves a place in the team.
Lest we forget, team selection every where  is never fair thou.
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by Musiwa13: 2:15pm On May 31, 2010
the list look good enough. But we need Daniel Shittu (Bolton Wanderers, England), to take that slot. No kanu Nwankwo. Danny shittu would be more useful to nigeria than kanu. Our defend, is where our major fear, would be. Danny shittu needs to be on that list.

We dont need kanu Nwankwo. We thank him for serving nigeria. he has done well. They could take him to the world cup but not part of the team, but part of technical team or medical or any group. So that he can be on the bench.
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by denony(m): 2:16pm On May 31, 2010
Kanu should grace his last world cup, at least a farewell outing
and John Utaka should be there, instead of his younger brother.

well lets hope this list make difference
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by baslone: 2:26pm On May 31, 2010
Emotions wouldnt take us anywhere
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by omar22(m): 2:27pm On May 31, 2010
Maradona dropped Zenetti and Cambiaso why? because they have younger replacement, Nigeria kept Kanu in the team a flop at both 1998 & 2002 and every single Nations cup since 2002, Theirs a reason why aragonis dropped Raul and Morinetes for Euro 2008,  Theirs a reason we failed to qualify for the 2006 WC? because we lacked vision,

Just too bad,
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by dobodobo(m): 2:28pm On May 31, 2010
http://www.goal.com/en/news/1863/world-cup-2010/2010/05/31/1951578/world-cup-2010-nigeria-squad-coach-lars-lagerback-leaves-ike
World Cup 2010: Nigeria Squad - Coach Lars Lagerback Leaves Ike Uche And Victor Anichebe Out Of Final 23
Ike Uche and Victor Anichebe are the two high profile casualties of Lars Lagerback's cull as he named his 23 players for the World Cup on Monday.
May 31, 2010 1:55:00 PM
5Share
Buzz It
Lars Lagerbäck (Getty)
Photo Gallery
Zoom
Lars Lagerbäck (Getty)
Related Links
Teams

* Nigeria

Joining the duo are Peter Utaka, Onyekachi Apam, Brown Ideye and the two domestic players Bassey Akpan and Terna Suswan.

The Swede announced the list to the players at a meeting where he called the affected players together and explained to them why they were being dropped.

"He called them together and explained that time was too short, and that injuries were also a factor," Super Eagles Media Officer Idah Peterside told KickOffNigeria.com.

More importantly, Peterside said Lagerback assured the players that in the unlikely event of injury to any player on the 23-man squad before kickoff, he would look no farther than that seven-man group. The contingent leaves for South Africa later today.

The Super Eagles are drawn in Group B alongside Argentina, Greece and South Korea.
Goalkeepers -
Vincent Enyeama Hapoel Tel Aviv (ISR)
Dele Ayenugba Beni Yehuda (ISR)
Austin Ejide Hapoel Petah Tikvah (ISR)
Defenders -
Taye Taiwo Marseille (FRA)
Joseph Yobo Everton (ENG)
Danny Shittu Bolton Wanderers (ENG)
Elderson Echiejile Rennes (FRA)
Ayodele Adeleye Sparta Rotterdam (NED)
Chidi Odiah CSKA Moscow (RUS)
Rabiu Afolabi SV Salzburg (AUS)
Midfielders -
Nwankwo Kanu Portsmouth (ENG)
Dickson Etuhu Fulham (ENG)
Mikel John Obi Chelsea (ENG)
Sani Kaita Alanya (RUS)
Yusuf Ayila Dynamo Kiev (UKR)
Kalu Uche Almeria (SPA)
Haruna Lukman Monaco (FRA)
Forwards -
Yakubu Ayegbeni Everton (ENG)
Chinedu Obasi Hoffenheim (GER)
Obafemi Martins Wolfsburg (GER)
Obinna Nsofor Malaga (SPA)
John Utaka Portsmouth (ENG)
Osaze Odemwingie Lokomotiv (RUS)
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by dobodobo(m): 2:29pm On May 31, 2010
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by alamsdee: 2:38pm On May 31, 2010
come to fratton and tell the folks that john utaka is going to the world cup, the answer u'll get is, IT'S A BIG JOKE
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by Mariory(m): 2:48pm On May 31, 2010
lol
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by shevalync: 2:53pm On May 31, 2010
lets be sincere with our self any coach will not have problem choosing between VICTOR n YAK thank goodness they are from the same club.I agree yak need to show more commitment but he is by far a better player to anichebe in all ramification.why not replace anichebe wt kanu.
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by Jaylone(m): 2:56pm On May 31, 2010
funny list very funny grin grin grin
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by otokx(m): 2:57pm On May 31, 2010
Whether they choose A or B; the end result is still the same.
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by Orikinla(m): 3:01pm On May 31, 2010
No coach can please everybody.
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by cashful(m): 3:12pm On May 31, 2010
Sagamite:

You mean you have it also on good authority the training sessions under Amodu were comprehensive biased, subjectively structured?

Here we go with your rationalisation of Lagerback's decision, but if it was Amodu, he is clueless.

If Amodu needs to score a goal and then replaces a DM with a CM, he is a fool for not bringing in an attacker.

I saw in the champions league your Guardiola bringing in a DM to replace a striker when losing a game.

I also saw him replacing 6ft 5 Ibrahimovic with 5ft 7 Bojan when they needed to score 2 goals to remain in the competition and their passing was being stopped by Inter. One would have expected them to go aerial for a change but he added another relatively short player and had FOUR 5ft 7 strikers upfront and the midfield continued crossing the ball. Worst thing was that Ibrahimovic is even more skilful and was more likely to produce a moment of magic. Anyway they could not score and lost the game and were out of CL.

you made sense, but we have to move forward, Amodu is past tense we have a 23 man list, so lets discuss more on the present
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by CarlosVent(m): 3:18pm On May 31, 2010
ike uche was what am against wel d injury didn't help d young lad
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by Sauron1: 3:18pm On May 31, 2010
Sagamite:

To be honest, Ibrahimovic was useless in the match. . . . .
His physical presence did nothing and it was Bojan that scored a goal that was disallowed by a visually-impaired referee.
Had he allowed that goal, Guardiola woulda been hailed a genius. Little details count too.
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by folahann(m): 3:23pm On May 31, 2010
Only a bias and senseless person will pick Yakubu ahead of anichebe. I so sad for him
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by aieromon(m): 3:25pm On May 31, 2010
Ehyah,I still dont see anythin' fascinatin' about this list.
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by proudly9ja(m): 3:34pm On May 31, 2010
Sagamite:

I also saw him replacing 6ft 5 Ibrahimovic with 5ft 7 Bojan when they needed to score 2 goals to remain in the competition and their passing was being stopped by Inter. One would have expected them to go aerial for a change but he added another relatively short player and had [b]FOUR 5ft 7 strikers upfront and the midfield continued crossing the ball. Worst thing was that Ibrahimovic is even more skilful and was more likely to produce a moment of magic. Anyway they could not score and lost the game and were out of CL.

But Guardiola would remain a god, if Amodu did the same thing, he is a fool.[/b]

Maybe that's why Barca lost the game?

Also, Guardiola has won 2 spanish league titles as a coach and a champs league. Amodu has won erm, let me see, yup, Caf cup in 1990 and bronze medals at the Nations Cup.
So it makes sense, Guardiola's shyte is Amodu's food!

Anyways I may understand Ike not going to the world cup but Anichebe being left out makes no sense to me especially considering he was left out for a certain John Utaka. Like someone said, Amodu wouldn't have chosen a different team!
I feel for the guy, his performance in the last few games for Everton and in the game against Saudi is enough for anyone to take him to the World Cup.
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by jossy501: 3:38pm On May 31, 2010
personally the list is fear enough but i will preferred kanu to complete the remaining 23 man list, for is experienced and i think will need an experienced player like Kanu for this reason he should be included in list,
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by Sauron1: 3:40pm On May 31, 2010
jossy501:

personally the list is fear enough but i will preferred kanu to complete the remaining 23 man list, for is experienced and i think will need an experienced player like Kanu for this reason he should be included in list,

And who said Kanu wasn't included in the list?
Use your eyes, young man. tongue
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by shevalync: 3:44pm On May 31, 2010
folahann:

Only a bias and senseless person will pick Yakubu ahead of anichebe. I so sad for him

like moyes like lagarback then.
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by Dauchman(m): 3:50pm On May 31, 2010
I think we all forget something. All these players were at a training camp and those who really wanted to be at the world cup proved themselves. Whether they perform well at the world cup is entirely a different ball game.

@Sagamite,

I think your comparison between Guardiola and Amodu is very flawed. Whether you like to accept it or not, Amodu is a terrible coach. the guy has no blinking idea of what he is doing. Look for something better to say. I personally do not believe in lagerbeer but he is way better than Amodu.
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by Benny25: 3:59pm On May 31, 2010
i am  not happy @ the exclusion of victor anichebe, he was quite good in the game against saudi arabia, for ik uche understandably cos of fitness, and for peter utaka and the rest better luck next time. let still cheer them anyway they are the best the country can offer for now
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by tjadeba(m): 4:00pm On May 31, 2010
not happy about the exclusion of Anichebe. Yusuf et al could have made way for his inclusion in my own opinion.He is the only casualty.Ik hasnt been playing well since his injury comeback,
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by celemel(m): 4:04pm On May 31, 2010
Nigeria would not WIN any match in SA 2010! Thats the sad fact. Anything else is absolute wishful thinking. They who fail to pla, plan to fail. We didn't plan and so, we'll fail. Chikena!
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by mrjingles(m): 4:09pm On May 31, 2010
wats all this noise about? The list is not surprising, the man had said ab initio that kanu was going so thats a closed matter, playing J utaka again means he was favorite to board d plane (thats my only quarrel). Yak has experience and u cant argue with his goals haul for us. Frankly we couldnt have done any better.
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by Rastamann: 4:12pm On May 31, 2010
Ike Uche, Anichebe out[/b]Posted: 2010-05-31 13:08

Ike Uche and Victor Anichebe are the two high profile casualties of Lars Lagerback's cull as he named his 23 players for the World Cup on Monday.

Joining the duo are Peter Utaka, Onyekachi Apam, Brown Ideye and the two domestic players Bassey Akpan and Terna Suswan.
The Swede announced the list to the players at a meeting where he called the affected players together and explained to them why they were being dropped.
"He called them together and explained that time was too short, and that injuries were also a factor," Super Eagles Media Officer Idah Peterside told KickOffNigeria.com.
More importantly, Peterside said Lagerback assured the players that in the unlikely event of injury to any player on the 23-man squad before kickoff, he would look no farther than that seven-man group.
The contingent leaves for South Africa later on Monday.

[b]Nigeria squad

Goalkeepers: Vincent Enyeama (Hapoel Tel Aviv, Israel), Dele Aiyenugba (Bnei Yehuda, Israel), Austin Ejide (Hapoel Petach Tikvah, Israel)

Defenders[/b]Taye Taiwo (Marseille, France), Elderson Echiejile (Rennes, France), Chidi Odiah (CSKA Moscow, Russia), Joseph Yobo (Everton, England), Ayodele Adeleye (Sparta Rotterdam, Netherlands), Rabiu Afolabi (SV Salzburg, Austria), Danny Shittu (Bolton Wanderers, England)

[b]Midfielders:
Kalu Uche (Almeria, Spain), Dickson Etuhu (Fulham, England), John Mikel Obi (Chelsea, England), Sani Kaita (Alaniya, Russia), Haruna Lukman (AS Monaco, France), Yusuf Ayila (Dynamo Kiev, Ukraine)

Strikers: Yakubu Aiyegbeni (Everton, England), Nwankwo Kanu (Portsmouth, England), Obafemi Martins (Wolfsburg, Germany), John Utaka(Portsmouth, England), Victor Obinna Nsofor (Malaga, Spain), Osaze Odemwingie (Lokomotiv Moscow, Russia), Chinedu Ogbuke Obasi (TSG Hoffenheim, Germany)
Re: From London: Official Super Eagle Team List by Sagamite(m): 4:13pm On May 31, 2010
cashful:

you made sense, but we have to move forward, Amodu is past tense we have a 23 man list, so lets discuss more on the present

I agree with you. I am all for Lagerback, for me, there is really no fair way to judge him with the short period he has to put a team together.

Let him just go and do what he can.

~Sauron~:

To be honest, Ibrahimovic was useless in the match. . . . .
His physical presence did nothing and it was Bojan that scored a goal that was disallowed by a visually-impaired referee.
Had he allowed that goal, Guardiola woulda been hailed a genius. Little details count too.

The whole Barcelona team did not play well. Hardly can a I place a finger on many that played better than Ibrahimovic in that match. As a matter of fact Messi was worse as he was marked out.

Their free flow football was not working, and sense would imply they should go aerial a bit, which they did, but to my astonishment, Guardiola brought more short players on the pitch to perfect that aerial tactic. That decision is up to him in my opinion but I know if it was Amodu it will be the justification some will use to say he is a bad coach.

Upon all condemnations of his selection of Yak and Eneramo, did anyone give praise when these scored against Mozambique and Kenya?

proudly9ja:

Maybe that's why Barca lost the game?

Also, Guardiola has won 2 spanish league titles as a coach and a champs league. Amodu has won erm, let me see, yup, Caf cup in 1990 and bronze medals at the Nations Cup.
So it makes sense, Guardiola's shyte is Amodu's food!

Come on!

Have you given Amodu the same world class players, facilities and financial backing before you belittle his achievements?

According to that logic, every achiever in the USA is inherently, naturally more talented than all achievers in Africa.

Dauchman:

@Sagamite,

I think your comparison between Guardiola and Amodu is very flawed. Whether you like to accept it or not, Amodu is a terrible coach. the guy has no blinking idea of what he is doing. Look for something better to say. I personally do not believe in lagerbeer but he is way better than Amodu.

Amodu is a good coach that has achieved a lot. Guardiola should go and manage ordinary Boavista and lets see what he can achieve before we know his real pedigree.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Samson Siasia Appeals Fifa’s Life Ban / Uk Football Pools Brown Coupon Week 37 Xx10xx / Nigeria Professional Football League Week 3: The Winners And The Losers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.