Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,196 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:30 AM

Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent (2415 Views)

Why Single Girls Are Turning You Down When You Ask Them Out / Why Nigerian Ladies Should Never Settle For Less / Why Nigerian Girls Should NOT Be Obsessed With Men's Height? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by eresource(m): 11:21am On Jun 01, 2010
I've always had a problem of getting a relationship with most Nigerian women. I try to find the reasons why and this is my excuse. Nigerian girls are simply too independent. This is not to say that all are.
I think the problem is actually the men. I can confidently tell you that Nigerian men have a problem with a woman who can actually think. And when they get married to one who can, it becomes a fist fight - where they can actually win. And this has been tradition with girls as they grow up, except the select few.
I hate when
(1) Every time you call a girl or a girl calls you, she says you should send a recharge card.
(2) You invite a girl for launch at a fast food, and she brings a host of friends to eat all they can.
(3) Your girlfriend wants to get admission into a tertiary institution, and you become the registrar
etc
I can go on with list but I don't want to bore you.
Thing is guys do prefer things this way(except for the money spending part). But haven't you heard the saying "Two heads are better than one?" If you won't let girls become as good as you are or better, how do you want to grow? How do you make Nigeria a better place?
And girls - I think it is the saddest thing ever to depend on guys on everything in your life (spiritually, emotionally, financially, physically).
I want to see a Nigeria were girls can be proud of themselves, and not proud of themselves because they caught a rich/handsome/smart guy.
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by Woke4all(m): 11:28am On Jun 01, 2010
Are you trying to say dependent? pls edit ur topic.
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by Onchedu(m): 11:29am On Jun 01, 2010
Independent or Dependent. I think U myt have a mix up there.

First of all not all girls are so and what U have described here is not as much dependency as it is just being demanding. I have girls that call me that never ask me for credit. They bring their quota into our relationships as I do mine. I send them credit when i feel like and that's that. Good thing is I have more regard for them than those who I'm not so close to that would imagine that it's my responsibility to send them credit.

If I invite a girl on a date and she brings her friends without getting the nod from me to do so, the date is off. They can go have fun and pay for themselves I dont need to impress anyone when I dont feel like it.

As for being a registra, if U have the power to do and undo, by all means flex those muscles and look good. Superman sef dey shine na im make Lois Lane like am pass Clark Kent.

What I'm sayin gin essence is if girls are making U do things Ur not comfortable with, then U are not in control of Ur emotions and are more likely to get the burn burn of the pot than the meaty stew.

The problem is not from the girls U know but from U. Take charge and do what U choose to do. there's no guarantee after all U put in U will get what u want out.
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by Onchedu(m): 11:31am On Jun 01, 2010
Oh one more thing. Naija babes wey me I know, when dem like boy dem dey vex when him to dey spend and e dey hard make their friends see the guy generosity without her consent.

If na mugu some girls don find say U be then na U know wetin U put Urself inside.
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by Nobody: 11:32am On Jun 01, 2010
^^^^ cooolio! cool
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by SAGoddess: 11:34am On Jun 01, 2010
I am beginning to thing this has something to do with culture and/or upbringing! I could be wrong! wink
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by eresource(m): 11:59am On Jun 01, 2010
@ Woke4all - The topic is as it's meant to be, no mistakes. The body just says that Nigerian girls aren't at all.
@ Onchedu - Please note in the body of the topic that I'm well aware that not all girls are dependent. I've met girls who are very independent, and I'm very proud to say I consider them my friend. And I suppose you grew up in a well-off family which means you have friends that come from well-off family(This is just a presumption).
If that is true or not, then you should know that the Nigerian wealth category system is a pyramid. With the richest at the pin end top and the poorest at the flat-based bottom. Now if you fall in the category of the average and below Nigeria, you'd definitely relate with what I'm saying. That category is where I grew up, and I and tell you pretty much that it is hard to come across girls who are independent. If anyone has a different opinion about the categories of girls in the average and below Nigerian class, let me know.
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by 190: 12:07pm On Jun 01, 2010
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent
Nigerian gurls are not independent 1 single bit
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by afrobaby(f): 12:35pm On Jun 01, 2010
@poster, I will need u to understand a fact, ladies can be what they want to be
meaning, a lady can decide to behave as if all she wants is ur money or decide to show u she loves u
Interestingly,many guys believe ladies are fools, . Take for instance, u met a guy online, u both agreed to meet physically after athe guy must av pressurised u for a long time, and then wat happens, the guy is making "passes" at u, wat do u want the lady tobelieve, ofcourse she knows what the utmost goal of the guy is, hence, shewill tell herself, he thinks he is smart, I will let him know am not a fool, as a result of this thought, she will decide to exploit the guy as long as she knows she knows she can keep what that guy actually wants from her away from him,
Shewill do all dis because she knows the guy is also a sheep in wolf's clothing

Lets be realisitic, as long as guys continue to take ladies to be dummies or fools, ladies will also take them to be a well of gold where all dey will be concerned about is digging from the well
Personally, if a guy approachesmeand from all indications, I know he is for play, then I will play him
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by Sonofpeace(m): 12:43pm On Jun 01, 2010
@poster, your topic is the opposite of your explanation or else you were just been sarcastic. Majority of Nigerian ladies are over dependent on the men folks, but that is as a result of our culture and upbringing where men answer their fathers name, inherit their fathers wealth, and are been valued more than the female folks. What needed to be done is to overhaul that section of our culture to accommodate women.
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by whitelexi(m): 12:45pm On Jun 01, 2010
Lol@Unindependence grin grin grin
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by Woke4all(m): 1:16pm On Jun 01, 2010
e-resource:

@ Woke4all - The topic is as it's meant to be, no mistakes. The body just says that Nigerian girls aren't at all.
what are you saying?

Pls look at the top right of ur post you will see modify Coz ur post contradicts itself.
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by GL(f): 7:54pm On Jun 01, 2010
e-resource:

@ Onchedu - Please note in the body of the topic that I'm well aware that not all girls are dependent. I've met girls who are very independent, and I'm very proud to say I consider them my friend. And I suppose you grew up in a well-off family which means you have friends that come from well-off family(This is just a presumption).
If that is true or not, then you should know that the Nigerian wealth category system is a pyramid. With the richest at the pin end top and the poorest at the flat-based bottom. Now if you fall in the category of the average and below Nigeria, you'd definitely relate with what I'm saying. That category is where I grew up, and I and tell you pretty much that it is hard to come across girls who are independent. If anyone has a different opinion about the categories of girls in the average and below Nigerian class, let me know.

i'm from an average family and i'm pretty independent. i never ask guys for money or recharge cards or all those petty things, i don't expect a guy to provide for me and my friends, i won't even go to a restaurant with a guy without money and if i would only order what i can afford to pay for. i hate it when guys say nigerian girls are too dependent because they are the ones enabling these girls. guys who have a reputation of wooing girls with money attract hordes of over-dependent girls.
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jun 01, 2010
Will you Nigerian men stop biatching and whinging? Grow a pair of balls already. Gees. undecided undecided
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by Sauron1: 8:36pm On Jun 01, 2010
GL:

i'm from an average family and i'm pretty independent. i never ask guys for money or recharge cards or all those petty things, i don't expect a guy to provide for me and my friends, i won't even go to a restaurant with a guy without money and if i would only order what i can afford to pay for. i hate it when guys say nigerian girls are too dependent because they are the ones enabling these girls. guys who have a reputation of wooing girls with money attract hordes of over-dependent girls.

I think you are a rare breed.
Keep it up!
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by A40(m): 9:08pm On Jun 01, 2010
Nigerian girls independent?? Thats an Oxymoron. E be like say the person wey post this topic don shack pelebe
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by queeneve: 1:10am On Jun 02, 2010
In USA, the young girls are taught to be independent because men have proven they can't be trusted and therfore the women may have to support their families in place of a male provider. If you look in the average black american households, women are the head of household simply because european theology have discourage men to step up and
provide for their family regardless if they do not get along with the mother of the children. That is the main reason, why premarital sex is not encourage because if both of the parents are not cordial with one another that will affect the children
and therefore you will see the rise of juvenile delinquents.

Traditionally, women are taught old fashionally to depend on men during the 40's until 70's where women were
not allowed to be married and recieve Welfare. Welfare was the supplemental program for black families during the GReat Depression, one of the requirements were you can't be married or live with a spouse. After the Welfare Era, women then learned to be independent and fend for themselves therefore discourage men to "provide" for their families.

Culture plays a big part of how men and women acts toward society, workplace, and at home. We all must know that some culture encourage WOMEN DEPENDENCY AND SOME CULTURES DISCOURAGES IT.

Women must learn to depend on self before they can depend on a man, even their spouse. No Marriage is fail proof so make sure you ladies can depend on your self if it come to that point where you become SINGLE, AGAIN,
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by agathamari(f): 6:24am On Jun 02, 2010
your examples are not of an independant woman but rather a disrespectful mooch
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by dobodobo(m): 6:41am On Jun 02, 2010
You don't know Nigeria girls are like Bank where you deposited money with NO withdrawal, do only thing you get is services. I have wasted a lot of fund on girls before i like fucking a lot but now I am a change person. No more pussy! No more pussy!! No more pussy!!!
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by eresource(m): 9:44am On Jun 02, 2010
@ afrobaby - you are right about guys, but what stops a girl from a plain reply of "NO!" if you think a guy is for play?
@ sonofpeace - You are right about sarcasm. If you live in a world you describe, then good for you and the guys there. But I'm going to introduce voting from both men and women to support the post.
@ Woke4all - I'm not saying the topic does not contradict the body of the post, I am saying the topic IS the intended topic, no mistakes. And sonofpeace wrote the right word - SARCASTIC.
@ GL - I look forward to meeting more girls like you (THIS IS NOT A PASS).
@ Ebonyeyes - If you ask people not to do that, how do you start a change, not to mention effect it? As a matter of fact, in the US, where democracy exists, that's the way President Obama won his winning votes.
@ A-40 : Please read and think before replying.
@ queeneve - I agree with your conclusions(the last two paragraphs).
@ agathamari - I don't think these girls are disrespectful at all. I think it's just the way they are. And the post is to start and encourage the evolution of Nigerian girls to being independent. The effort should come from both the guys and girls.
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by eresource(m): 9:50am On Jun 02, 2010
I would like to ask every lady and gentleman who read the post to please leave a vote on what they think:

Nigerian Girls Are So Independent - YES or NO.

Please your vote should be either "YES" or "NO" and please leave your SEX(i.e male or female only please).
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by eresource(m): 9:52am On Jun 02, 2010
In my previous post "intimacy" is substituted for a word not allowed. So please just indicate if you are male or female.
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by stuffs4me(m): 10:18am On Jun 02, 2010
i'm from an average family and i'm pretty independent. i never ask guys for money or recharge cards or all those petty things, i don't expect a guy to provide for me and my friends, i won't even go to a restaurant with a guy without money and if i would only order what i can afford to pay for

na today? that's what they all say, read your post again my dear and you'll discover how unreal you sound,

@poster
try and meet GL @ your own peril. SHE'S SO UNREAL. it's girls like these that are worse and give other girls a bad name
there's nothing wrong in doing things 4ur lady every now and then, its part of the r/ship thing and it should be reciprocated. buying for instance a greeting card for ur girl doesnt mean she cant afford one for herself, but its the feeling behind it that should count
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by GL(f): 5:09pm On Jun 02, 2010
~Sauron~:

I think you are a rare breed.
Keep it up!

thanks, it's not so rare though.

e-resource:

@ GL - I look forward to meeting more girls like you (THIS IS NOT A PASS).

smiley smiley thanks

e-resource:

I would like to ask every lady and gentleman who read the post to please leave a vote on what they think:

Nigerian Girls Are So Independent - YES or NO.

Please your vote should be either "YES" or "NO" and please leave your intimacy(i.e male or female only please).

YES, Female

stuffs4me:

na today? that's what they all say, read your post again my dear and you'll discover how unreal you sound,

@poster
try and meet GL @ your own peril. SHE'S SO UNREAL. it's girls like these that are worse and give other girls a bad name
there's nothing wrong in doing things 4ur lady every now and then, its part of the r/ship thing and it should be reciprocated. buying for instance a greeting card for your girl doesnt mean she cant afford one for herself, but its the feeling behind it that should count

just in case you had problems understanding the part of my post you quoted, all i said was that i don't beg and i try to be content with what i have. if you really find that unreal, too bad.
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by Freiburger(m): 10:32pm On Jun 02, 2010
Exactly wh
Woke4all:

Are you trying to say dependent? pls edit your topic.

Exactly what i was about asking. grin
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by dayokanu(m): 10:41pm On Jun 02, 2010
(2) You invite a girl for launch at a fast food, and she brings a host of friends to eat all they can.

If you invite a girl to a launching ceremony why wont she bring her friends? Unless you plan on launching rockets
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jun 02, 2010
^^^ lmao!1

@post
Thank you, for appreciating our independent-ness cheesy
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by Girl846(f): 5:50am On Jun 03, 2010
Nigerian girls are not so independent o many of them depend on men to take care of their finances.
When Nigerian girls start spending their on money and stop relying on boyfriends for money - only then will they be truly independent!
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by Gabry(f): 6:12am On Jun 03, 2010
Poster, that is not called independant. That is called dependant. Like my brother's wife.

Always relying o0n my brother for everything. . . She is lucky to have a rich man by her side otherwise. . . . undecided
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by SEFAGO(m): 6:17am On Jun 03, 2010
Girl846:

Nigerian girls are not so independent o many of them depend on men to take care of their finances.
When Nigerian girls start spending their on money and stop relying on boyfriends for money - only then will they be truly independent!

I see you like anime- what type of anime do you like?

[This pickup line usually works in Japan]
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by Girl846(f): 6:41am On Jun 03, 2010
SEFAGO:

I see you like anime- what type of anime do you like?

[This pickup line usually works in Japan]

lol wink
I actually don't watch so much anime anymore. I used to like the girly ones with love plots and all that embarassed
Re: Why Nigerian Girls Are So Independent by dapsycool(m): 7:26am On Jun 03, 2010
Gabry Chinco I don dey find u tey tey grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Difference Between Dating Older Men And Young Naija Guys / A Mathematical Prove That Women Equals To Problems / My Girlfriend Is 4years Older Than Me. Pls Ur Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.