Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,397 members, 7,954,575 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:15 PM

Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! (8541 Views)

Reporter Removes Clothes While Reporting On Ronaldo / Ethiopia Deny Attack On Nigeria Team Bus / Biased Reporting On London Meet -no News On Okagbare Win On Bbc,cnn,diamond Leag (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Princek12(m): 1:39pm On Jun 02, 2010
wirinet:

Mr prince, that section of the article is totally flawed and out of context, it reeks of malicious intent. If you have a basic knowledge of how the internet works, you would know that spam mails are not manually, it would be impossible to send thousands of span mail without the use of software - Email extractor and emailer. And these software work automatically, with very minimal human intervention. These emailers send mails to thousands of people day and night.

So i do not see how watching a few 90 mins football matches for a one month period can significantly reduce spam mails from Nigeria.
You are probably right. That is why I said that it may be true, but no one knows definitely that it is true. Like I said earlier, I think anyone who is offended should complain to BBC, but ultimately we should try to clean up our own society.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by wirinet(m): 1:45pm On Jun 02, 2010
Princek12:

You are probably right. That is why I said that it may be true, but no one knows definitely that it is true. Like I said earlier, I think anyone who is offended should complain to BBC, but ultimately we should try to clean up our own society.

I agree 101% that we need to clean up our act, that was why i said if the journalist wrote that part in another context, in another article, i would not have quarreled with it. But this is supposed to be about the Nigerian National team to the world cup for God sake. Even FIFA discourages mixing politics with football.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by tkb417(m): 2:06pm On Jun 02, 2010
I don't think the BBC writer meant that 419 represents most Nigerians, but rather that the 419ers will be busy watching the Super Eagles, a time during which they will refrain from sending scam emails to their targets, effectively reducing the amount of scam emails that will be received in the inbox of targets. While this may be true, I think anyone who is offended by this email has every right to complain against BBC, for BBC's stories about Nigeria lately are edging around outright disrespect to Nigerians.

Again, this story should send to Nigerians a message that we should self police ourselves and try to stop all these 419 and deceptive activities so that other countries will not continue to ridicule us. Note: If you are a 419er you have no right to complain.

maybe they need to add to Englands profile how racist they are

im sure we can link bigotry/racism to englands participation in the world cup too.
for real, the racist in the UK wouldnt have the time to racially abuse other peeps cos they will be glued to the TV watching the football fiesta on parade in SA

im sure it makes sense
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by tkb417(m): 2:10pm On Jun 02, 2010
what has cleaning up our acs gotta do with a football show?

we have our vices - 419 and stuff and other countries have theirs

we aint no saint but we are not the worst on planet earth

did they write about the drug dealings in Mexico? or dont they need to clean up their acts too?

that journalist is a bat
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by toladop(m): 2:21pm On Jun 02, 2010
Maybe u guys have not seen another ridiculous one from fox sports http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/32countries/story/Nigeria-32-teams-in-32-days

[b]Country: Nigeria
Nickname: The Super Eagles

Nigeria is a kleptocracy that milks the most populous African nation. Oil wealth has made this massive African nation one of the most dangerous, most corrupt, most impoverished and straight-out saddest countries on earth. Despite billions and billions of dollars in annual oil revenue, virtually none of it reaches the general population, instead lining the pockets of one "big man" after another.
NIGERIA
Nigeria Team Page World Cup schedule

June 12: vs. Argentina (Johannesburg)
June 17: vs. Greece (Bloemfontein)
June 22: vs. South Korea (Durban)

Home     Away Key players

Mikel Jon Obi, Midfielder
Aiyegbeni Yakubu, Forward Best WC result: Last 16 in 1994, '98
FIFA World Rank: 21

Adding to the discord is the legacy of colonization and the North-South split in the nation along religious lines: Christians to the North, Muslims to the South. What passes for government in Nigeria is usually an uneasy balance between the two religions. However, since that government seems to exist only to leech off its populace and mineral wealth, it is predictably ineffective. War is a regular occurrence in Nigeria, and drug and arms smuggling have made it an almost-failed state.

The only thing that unifies the country is the national football team. And sadly, it reflects its state all too well.

The local league is hopelessly corrupt, with games that are routinely fixed. The youth national teams have been successful -- but too often tainted by accusations of cheating. African and some Asian players have routinely lied about their true ages in order to play in the age-eligible competitions, and until FIFA began cracking down on it, Nigeria was known as one of the worst offenders. In fact, prior to the U-17 World Cup that Nigeria hosted last year, FIFA announced it would begin conducting bone scans on all players in an effort to stamp out the practice. The day after, 16 Nigerian players -- half the squad -- dropped out of camp.

The sad part about all this is that corruption seems so endemic in Nigerian culture that it threatens to obscure the fact that some Nigerian players are world class. They play a gorgeous, flowing style of soccer when they are on, and some of their players have justifiably become legends, with Nwankwo Kanu and Jay-Jay Okocha being two prime examples. Sadly, the team tends to dissolve into pointless squabbles over the usual, venal matters. Bonuses aren’t paid, roster choices are always suspect and being a coach in Nigeria requires a hefty cash deposit up front, because you're not likely to see any more.

If Nigeria could get its act together, it could be one of the great footballing powers on the planet. Since it cannot, it won't.

PAST WORLD CUP SUCCESS: This is Nigeria's fourth Cup. Best showing was in America in 1994, where many observers feel they could have won the whole shebang. (Obviously, they didn't.) Recent history is a bit tougher: They stunk it up in Japan and failed to qualify for Germany.

REGIONAL SUCCESS: Two-time winners of the African Cup of Nations (1980, 1994). At the Olympic level (which is an Under-23 competition), they took gold in Atlanta (1996) and silver in Beijing (2008). See above for the caveats.

LEAGUE OVERVIEW: It's a corrupt mess. See above.

FIFA WORLD CUP
FoxSoccer.com gets you ready for the biggest sporting event in the world this summer in South Africa.

* World Cup Bracket Challenge
    * Interactive map | Team pages
    * Venues | Fixtures | Standings
    * 32 Teams in 32 Days | WC Front
    * Latest World Cup news and notes

* Photos: WAGS | Celebrity fans
    * Best: Forwards | Mid | Def | GK
    * Decade's Best | Great Moments
    * 30-man roster snubs | Best of '06

MANAGER: Lars Lagerbeck. The former coach of Sweden quit after that country failed to qualify for the Cup. If he actually makes it to the Cup, it'll be something of a miracle as he's already had one run-in over non-payment, and Nigeria has a habit of firing their foreign coaches on the eve of a major tournament to reward some politically connected local hack.

KEY PLAYERS: Kanu, allegedly 33, is still playing in England for Portsmouth. Despite the fact that he may actually be closer to 42, he's going to play. Defender Joseph Yobo (Everton) is very solid as is his counterpart at Bolton, the unfortunately named Danny Shittu. The star is John Obi Mikel (Chelsea), who has been transformed from a foul-prone hothead into one of the better holding midfielders in the game. Yakubu (Aikegbeni; he goes by one name at Everton) and Obafemi Martins (Wolfsburg) are the target men up top, running off the erratic Victor Anichebe (Everton).

FIFA RANKINGS: 21st. Top was 5th in those heady days of 1994; lowest was 82nd in 1999.

FIRST ROUND OPPONENTS: Argentina, South Korea, Greece

HEAD TO HEAD AGAINST ARGENTINA: Nigeria has a long history against Argentina, but mainly at the youth level -- where Nigeria holds a firm edge. At the senior level, however, Argentina dominates. They have met twice in the World Cup, and lost to the Albicelestes both times. In 1994, Nigeria fell 2-1 in Foxboro; in 2002, Argentina got the better of them in Japan, 1-0. They played to a scoreless draw at the 1995 Confederations Cup.

HEAD TO HEAD AGAINST GREECE: Nigeria whipped 'em in the game that mattered, 2-0 back at Foxboro in the 1994 World Cup. They dropped a friendly by the same score in Greece five years later after most of their top players failed to show up.

HEAD TO HEAD AGAINST SOUTH KOREA: Never met.
FOX SPORTS POLL

How far will Nigeria go?
          o Win it all
          o Finals
          o Semis
          o Quarters
          o Round of 16
          o Won't make it past group play

HOW THEY QUALIFIED: Barely. They needed a big win over Kenya on the final day. Had Tunisia won its game, Nigeria wouldn't have made it at all. That said: Nigeria didn't lose a game (9-3-0) in qualifying. And yet, there was a lot missing.

PERCENTAGE CHANCE TO PROGRESS: 75%. If Nigeria cannot get out of this group, on African soil, there's something deeply wrong. Since we've already noted that there are, in fact, many things deeply wrong with this side, if/when they flop out, don't say we didn't warn you.

TO WATCH: First off, see if a coach actually shows up. Next, see if the players take the field. After that, see if the guys talk to one another. If you get all three, this team has a good shot.
ROSTER

Goalkeepers: Vincent Enyeama (Hapoel Tel Aviv), Dele Ayenugba (Beni Yehuda FC), Bassey Akpan (Bayelsa United), Austine Ejide (Hapoel Petah Tikva)

Defenders: Taye Taiwo (Marseille), Elderson Echiejile (Rennes), Chidi Odiah (CSKA Moscow), Onyekachi Apam (Nice), Joseph Yobo (Everton), Daniel Shittu (Bolton), Ayodele Adeleye (Sparta Rotterdam), Rabiu Afolabi (Salzburg), Peter Suswan (Lobi Stars)

Midfielders: Kalu Uche (Almeria), Dickson Etuhu (Fulham), John Obi Mikel (Chelsea), Sani Kaita (Alaniya), Lukman Haruna (Monaco), Ayila Yussuf (Dynamo Kiev), Peter Osaze (Lokomotiv Moscow)

Forwards: Yakubu Ayegbeni (Everton), Victor Anichebe (Everton), Chinedu Obasi (Hoffenheim), Nwankwo Kanu (Portsmouth), Obafemi Martins (Wolfsburg), Ideye Brown (Sochaux), Ikechukwu Uche (Zaragoza), John Utaka (Portsmouth), Peter Utaka (OB Odense), Victor Obinna (Malaga)

[/b]
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by tkb417(m): 2:27pm On Jun 02, 2010
we've seen this too
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by jhendor(m): 2:49pm On Jun 02, 2010
No blame am,
he is expressing his mind of some our stupid yahoo yahoo boys.
maybe he's been duped by Nigerians before.
he thought this is an opportunity to chip in his grief with 419 Nigerians
he is somewhat right.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by alamsdee: 3:02pm On Jun 02, 2010
[size=24pt]HI ALL,

I HAVE JUST MADE A COMPLAINT TO BBC ON THE COMMENT, I IMPLORE EVERYONE TO DO THE SAME, THIS WHOLE NONSENSE HAS TO STOP, ITS BLANTANT AND OPEN RACIAL DISCRIMINATION, PLS DEAR ALL MAKE YOUR COMPLAINTS ON http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/homepage/, IF U DONT CRY OUT, THOSE IDIOTS WONT STOP.

THANK YOU ALL[/size]
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Mortiple(m): 3:07pm On Jun 02, 2010
This is typical of the Western Media; they never see anything good in Nigeria.

Tom McCoy should be lectured to know that over 99% Nigerians are not internet fraudsters. Having said that, our government should step up its fight against 419. For goodness sake, these guys are not spirits, they live amongst us. Just that our law enforcements have refused to work.

I am tempted to think that a Nigerian official who might have been frustrated by our sports system may have written or better-still contributed to the Foxsports article.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by alamsdee: 3:15pm On Jun 02, 2010
[size=20pt]its time we all cry out loud on the injustice bn done to the name of our dear country, my question to the BBC, and i'm yet to get an answer from them is, "IF IT IS A CRIME TO BE AN AFRICAN", pls this is an oppurtunity to protest against undue stereotypization of all Nigerians.[/size]
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by katme: 3:17pm On Jun 02, 2010
alamsdee:

[size=24pt]HI ALL,

I HAVE JUST MADE A COMPLAINT TO BBC ON THE COMMENT, I IMPLORE EVERYONE TO DO THE SAME, THIS WHOLE NONSENSE HAS TO STOP, ITS BLANTANT AND OPEN RACIAL DISCRIMINATION, PLS DEAR ALL MAKE YOUR COMPLAINTS ON   http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/homepage/, IF U DONT CRY OUT, THOSE IDIOTS WONT STOP.

THANK YOU ALL[/size]

Nice one alamsdee! we can express all the displeasure we want on this forum, but it will only be constructive if we let the BBC know of what we feel about their biased, unnecessary and 'out-of-context' comments. i just dropped a complaint too.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by alamsdee: 3:26pm On Jun 02, 2010
@Katme

thank you very much

I really hope they (BBC) will answer my question on why bn an african or nigerian is a crime
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by dustydee: 3:33pm On Jun 02, 2010
that portion on the BBC site seems to have been taken off, grin
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by katme: 3:38pm On Jun 02, 2010
dustydee:

that portion on the BBC site seems to have been taken off,  grin

it is still there bro, https://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by wazobiang: 3:53pm On Jun 02, 2010
actually the 419 point made has some truth but it doesn't belong to the article written.

we get 419 people well well. u need a job that has something to do with tracking them to understand. they are still duping funny people out of money every day. when they get duped these people become irrational. i suppose the writer of the article was duped or something and he couldn't help adding the 419 message in the article. but it was in the wrong context.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Skidoc(m): 3:58pm On Jun 02, 2010
Looks like they've removed it. I was just about to complain when I saw that they've removed it. Wow, well done Nairalanders. We do have a VOICE. cheesy
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by dustydee: 3:59pm On Jun 02, 2010
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by alamsdee: 4:03pm On Jun 02, 2010
[size=15pt]THANK YOU GUYS, BUT I STILL BELIEVE THEY OWE EVERY NIGERIAN AN APOLOGY[/size]
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by tkb417(m): 4:06pm On Jun 02, 2010
hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can someone change the front page topic to something like Nairalanders forced BBC to retract offensive statement about Nigeria or something like dt

well done guys!!!

i practically called Tony Blair and the new PM racists if they feel all Nigerians are bad

good one guys!!

thats the way to go. we dont have to wait for govt to do everythn for us
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by alamsdee: 4:17pm On Jun 02, 2010
THATS THE SPIRIT GUYS, from my experience living in the uk, I've noticed every white english man/woman hates to be called a racist, and I dont mind lashing any policeman/immigration officer that makes the mistake of trying to accost me based on my race as a bloody racist, (i can remember an incident when a stupid indian immigration officer asked how i came in possession of an indefinite visa because he saw my nigerian passport, i simply asked him how he became a british), One day soon we will stop all this molestation of Nigerians abroad, but the keyword is unity, we need to be united as one nation, people we need to be one and fight for our survival as one,
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by 190: 4:19pm On Jun 02, 2010
I SAW NOTHING RELATING TO 419 there oo

please where una 4 see wetin una read~
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by lizzybabe1(f): 4:21pm On Jun 02, 2010
I came late to this but I have to say Well done to all the people who complained. smiley
190, it has been removed. smiley
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by GoodMuyis(m): 5:03pm On Jun 02, 2010
No mind the guy e no sabi Joke go check the article now the don change the content.

But notwithstanding the guys is having Brain Tumol am serious search Nairaland u will see it

cool cool cool cool
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Rastamann: 5:42pm On Jun 02, 2010
Nigeria left it late to qualify for the World Cup - an 81st-minute winner against Kenya in the final qualifier seeing them through - and their preparations for South Africa have been similarly last minute. The decision to sack coach Shaibu Amodu following their third-place finish at the Africa Cup of Nations meant his replacement, Swede Lars Lagerback, effectively has just three weeks with his squad before the tournament. The Nigerian Football Federation has been fined by Fifa after changing their World Cup base late in the day, and there has also been confusion over the venues for their warm-up matches.

And while problems before the 1994 and 1998 World Cups did not prevent them from impressing in those tournaments, this squad does not contain the likes of Jay-Jay Okocha, Daniel Amokachi and Sunday Oliseh. John Mikel Obi is their only stand-out player, and he is recovering from a knee injury, while a squad that boasts plenty of pacey forwards also lacks quality midfielders.

Aim: The Nigerian Football Federation is targeting a semi-final place. That looks unlikely, but the side will be under pressure to reach the last 16 given the tournament is in Africa.

THREE KEY PLAYERS

PETER ODEMWINGIE A pacey right winger who can also play up front, Odemwingie was born in Uzbekistan to a Nigerian father and Russian mother and was rated by some observers as Nigeria's best player during the qualifying campaign.

JOHN MIKEL OBI Nigeria's star player was named in the squad despite doubts over his fitness because of a knee injury. Usually a holding midfielder for Chelsea, he often plays further forward for Nigeria.

VINCENT ENYEAMA A veteran of the 2002 World Cup campaign, when he kept a clean sheet in the final game against England, the keeper scored nine penalties for his Israeli club this season.

World Cup photo album

THE MANAGER

LARS LAGERBACK The experienced Swede, who took his home nation to the last 16 of the previous two World Cups, beat off competition from Sven-Goran Eriksson and Glenn Hoddle to land the job in February.

What has this reporter done wrong with this report?
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by snowdrops(m): 5:56pm On Jun 02, 2010
Whao that was really offensive. Shame on BBC.What a hypocritical station. To imagine it is paid for by tax payers many of whom are nigerians or persons of nigerian decent.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by oge4real(f): 6:10pm On Jun 02, 2010
The writer is a bonafide idiot. May virus attack his computer, pen and fingers. angry angry
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by snowdrops(m): 6:16pm On Jun 02, 2010
and the house says amen.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by akinalabi(m): 6:22pm On Jun 02, 2010
Rastamann:

What has this reporter done wrong with this report?

Go through the thread.

BBC have obviously edited it.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by hbrednic: 6:31pm On Jun 02, 2010
NAIRALANDERS 1 grin
BBC 0 tongue
next time it is gonna be a class-action,we are moving in the right direction.
God bless you all.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:58pm On Jun 02, 2010
@posters (especially the ones who feel rudely offended)

BBC was not always this way, but it is gradually sinking in. the once stellar icon of journalism in its purest form is now a putrid shrine for irresponsible, shoddy, unprofessional journalism and broadcasting. Remember how many Nigerians tuned to BBC @ 4.00AM just to be sure a Military Coup was not in the offing. Whether English or Hausa, you were more likely to trust the BBC than your own mother.

Sadly standards have declined terribly, to say they have hit rock-bottom is putting it mildly. since BBC faced severe funding problems in recent times, it has also displayed alarming levels of paled quality in its programming allowing its claims of creative contribution to be taken at face value.

I doubt the BBC College of Journalism graduates the likes of Mr. Tom but who can say, with the credit crunch well in-deep in the financial bowels of British public funding, maybe this the BBC's way of saying, We don't have any more money to hire quality journalist let alone write good stories from start to finish.

It is a good thing that Nigerians will not stand for it anymore, I just wish we showed as much venom in other areas of our public/foreign matters that need vicious and vile voices from the masses
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by opsydudu(m): 7:45pm On Jun 02, 2010
British
Bullshit
Company

The story was edited, i can't believe they could take that part off. Some sort of cowardry!
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by 4Play(m): 7:51pm On Jun 02, 2010
I remember watching England's match on NTA during France 98. I can't recall whether it was Yinka Craig that was the host, but there was a British guest. 'Yinka' introduced the guest by saying, ''he is an Englishman but not a hooligan'' before giggling over his rather farcical attempt at humour. I wondered what he would have felt if he was introduced on the BBC as a ''Nigerian man but not a fraudster''.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Arsenal First Team Players Plus Their Weekly And Yearly Salaries. / Best Nba Players Who Were Born In Africa / Sports Ministry Unaware Of U23 USA Tour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.