Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! (8426 Views)

Reporter Removes Clothes While Reporting On Ronaldo / Ethiopia Deny Attack On Nigeria Team Bus / Biased Reporting On London Meet -no News On Okagbare Win On Bbc,cnn,diamond Leag (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by tkb417(m): 11:05am On Jun 03, 2010
The validity of this particular grouse is not dependent on any other perceived wrongs of the Nigerian government. If you feel a need to be a 'real champion' then go protest in Abuja or wherever you please - it is not for you to determine what individuals should do or not do. If you are inclined to exercise such control, I'd suggest you join the armed forces or emigrate to North Korea to become the next 'Great Leader'.

GBAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
as we speak, the NDA are selling forms for army wannabees grin grin grin

as for me and my house, we dont wanna join grin grin
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by alamsdee: 11:09am On Jun 03, 2010
the guy is challenging us to go out and protest, that is fine by me, but if he feels he is a courageous leader, let him identify himself, i need to know who is organising the march before i can commit myself to their cause
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by alamsdee: 11:12am On Jun 03, 2010
@tudor

please do not attempt to switch ur computer off, no one is trying to capture your IP Address
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by tkb417(m): 11:13am On Jun 03, 2010
LOL

trust me, he doesnt run from stuffs like these o

lemme warn u, na u go tire grin grin grin
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Tudor6(f): 11:14am On Jun 03, 2010
alamsdee:

@Tudor

pls do answer the following questions,
1) are u employed, if yes, your employer?
2) are u a student, if yes, the academic institution u are enrolled in?

pls do answer the above questions
what is this illiterate making noise or are you lost?

Here's a link to help you find your way  www.nairaland.com/nigeria/board-38.0.html
alamsdee:

the guy is challenging us to go out and protest, that is fine by me, but if he feels he is a courageous leader, let him identify himself, i need to know who is organising the march before i can commit myself to their cause
I already told YOU, DONT BOTHER. . .  we need intelligent people not ones who are tactless.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by alamsdee: 11:18am On Jun 03, 2010
@tudor

see you very soon gentleman
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Tudor6(f): 11:42am On Jun 03, 2010
Leonidis:

Tudor's line of reasoning is fatally flawed. There is no connection between emails allegedly emanating from Nigeria and Nigerian team at the world cup - that is the focus of this issue. By that token. the comment on the BBC profile was distasteful and tried to paint majority of Nigerians as fraudulent. That is defamation at the very least and a crass generalisation. It is the duty of anyone who feels offended by such a statement to complain and get reprieve.
You are talking CAPITAL RUBBISH my friend. . . .

where is it written in stone that articles relating to football cannot be satirical or discuss other issues relating to the country? is it now a crime tom use sport to highlight socio-political happenings in the country?
did you not see reports on Beijing olympics and chinese human rights and societal developments? south africa, the world cup and crime, racial tensions and xenophobic attacks all disscussed in the same article?

anyone who opines that sport articles must talk only about sport is a drunkard. 

i'm tired of all these baseless rants, no where in the write up did the writer refer to All nigerians as fraudsters. where you lot inferred that from is beyond me
Regardless of the 'grammar' or language used by akinmed, it achieved the desired[i] intent[/i] of getting the offensive comments removed.
The offensive comments have been removed then what suddenly Nigeria is now a better place, right? go sleep jare

The fact that an individual does not march to Abuja does not render him/her a coward - it is the individual's prerogative to air his displeasure as he deems fit. Neither you Tudor, nor anyone else has a right to define what would constitute cowardice or not.
There is a dictionary DEFINITION of cowardice isnt there? so sorry, we dont need new definitions
The validity of this particular grouse is not dependent on any other perceived wrongs of the Nigerian government. If you feel a need to be a 'real champion' then go protest in Abuja or wherever you please - it is not for you to determine what individuals should do or not do. If you are inclined to exercise such control, I'd suggest you join the armed forces or emigrate to North Korea to become the next 'Great Leader'.  grin
****yawwwwwwnssss****

individuals who are on the internet shouting how they wont stand for injustice, bla bla bla bla.

let them take their noise to abuja(the real cause of the problem) and stop their faceless rantings.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Tudor6(f): 11:47am On Jun 03, 2010
alamsdee:

@tudor

see you very soon gentleman
what the hell is this?
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Leonidis: 12:04pm On Jun 03, 2010
Tudór:

where is it written in stone that articles relating to football cannot be satirical or discuss other issues relating to the country? is it now a crime tom use sport to highlight socio-political happenings in the country?

There is no crime involved, but when an ill-conceived comment is used to portray an entire population in bad light then it is unacceptable.

did you not see reports on Beijing olympics and chinese human rights and societal developments? south africa, the world cup and crime, racial tensions and xenophobic attacks all disscussed in the same article?

Those are factual reports, not a silly reporter's attempt to be 'funny' by claiming world cup will reduce scam emails. There is no fact or reportage behind the silly claim on the profile page, so those articles you mentioned are completely different from the one being discussed here.

anyone who opines that sport articles must talk only about sport is a drunkard. 

No one opined as such, what is being pointed out that 'talking' about other issues should not descend into daft generalisations not based on any evidence.

i'm tired of all these baseless rants, no where in the write up did the writer refer to All nigerians as fraudsters. where you lot inferred that from is beyond meThe offensive comments have been removed then what suddenly Nigeria is now a better place, right? go sleep jare

You've displayed abysmal reasoning ability so I understand why it is beyond you - anyone with a neutral/no impression of Nigerians will instantly take away a negative impression of Nigerians as scam artists if he/she reads such a statement. Again, you are preoccupied with making Nigeria a better place - go deal with that issue elsewhere and don't get that confused with an attempt to correct misrepresentation.

Harping on about 'making Nigeria better' when the issue is not about that makes you sound like you have an attention deficit problem - focus on the issue at hand and leave your soap box at home. Surely such a simple distinction between a governance issue in Nigeria and non-factual portrayal in the press can be achieved by you, even in light of your severely impaired reasoning faculties?

There is a dictionary DEFINITION of cowardice isnt there? so sorry, we dont need new definitions****yawwwwwwnssss****

Then shut up and stop trying to provide one. Protesting a defaming article while protesting (or not protesting) issues of governance cannot serve as a definition of cowardice.

individuals who are on the internet shouting how they wont stand for injustice, bla bla bla bla.

let them take their noise to abuja(the real cause of the problem) and stop their faceless rantings.

Again, go to North Korea if you want to dictate to people. Each individual is free to protest what he/she deems fit. If you don't like it or can't stand it, move along or stick a couple of toothpicks in your beady eyes. grin
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by tkb417(m): 12:23pm On Jun 03, 2010
[quote[b]]You've displayed abysmal reasoning ability so I understand why it is beyond you[/b] - anyone with a neutral/no impression of Nigerians will instantly take away a negative impression of Nigerians as scam artists if he/she reads such a statement. Again, you are preoccupied with making Nigeria a better place - go deal with that issue elsewhere and don't get that confused with an attempt to correct misrepresentation.

Harping on about 'making Nigeria better' when the issue is not about that makes you sound like you have an attention deficit problem - focus on the issue at hand and leave your soap box at home. Surely such a simple distinction between a governance issue in Nigeria and non-factual portrayal in the press can be achieved by you, even in light of your severely impaired reasoning faculties[quote][/quote]

boom booom boooooom boooooooooooooooooooom
hehehehehe

You hit the nail on the head

he has problems understanding what we are saying here. I asked Illusion2 to help him but he couldnt
thanks for beaming more light. I hope he understands now
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by alamsdee: 12:48pm On Jun 03, 2010
ope o!!!

the rabies infected dog has wandered off in search of nothing
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Tudor6(f): 1:08pm On Jun 03, 2010
Leonidis:

There is no crime involved, but when an ill-conceived comment is used to portray an entire population in bad light then it is unacceptable.
This is becoming embarrassing. . havent i asked you noise makers to provide me a quote in the article that says ALL NIGERIANS ARE FRAUDSTERS. . .why is that so hard for you? or is it all about making baseless claims?

Those are factual reports, not a silly reporter's attempt to be 'funny' by claiming world cup will reduce scam emails. There is no fact or reportage behind the silly claim on the profile page, so those articles you mentioned are completely different from the one being discussed here.

And email scamming nigerian fraudsters are fiction, right? the writer just invented them outta the blue. . thank u!

firstly, the writer MADE NO CLAIMS. he stated each year, nigerian fraudsters send millions of email- THIS IS FACT!
then went on to say world cup succeess should distract them(fraudsters) awhile.

so, which claim are you talking about? is it irrational to say world cup success will distract fraudsters?

it was well reported that during the fighting in ivory coast, violence and clashes were very much reduced when the elephants were playing. . .so wats your point? that its impossible?

people should apply their education and stop being blinded by useless sentiments.

No one opined as such, what is being pointed out that 'talking' about other issues should not descend into daft generalisations not based on any evidence.
Again, WHAT GENERALIZATIONS are in the article? you people just open mouth and spew rubbish without basis.

pls provide me a quote from the article that makes ''generalizations'' and dont forget to include the dictionary meaning of the word coz it seems you dont even know what it means

You've displayed abysmal reasoning ability so I understand why it is beyond you - anyone with a neutral/no impression of Nigerians will instantly take away a negative impression of Nigerians as scam artists if he/she reads such a statement. Again, you are preoccupied with making Nigeria a better place - go deal with that issue elsewhere and don't get that confused with an attempt to correct misrepresentation.
oh, I applaud your reasoning ability. . . its quite evident you're a numskull who cant read and understand simple grammar. as this wouldnt be such a big deal if you dolts can read english.

if I say ''Each year colombian drug gangs murder 500 people'', it automatically means ''ALL COLOMBIANS ARE DRUG LORDS''. . . .geez u guys are indeed idiots.

Harping on about 'making Nigeria better' when the issue is not about that makes you sound like you have an attention deficit problem - focus on the issue at hand and leave your soap box at home. Surely such a simple distinction between a governance issue in Nigeria and [b]non-factual [/b]portrayal in the press can be achieved by you, even in light of your severely impaired reasoning faculties?
Again, do nigerian fraudsters not send millions of scam mails each year? is that not FACT or u dont know the meaning of the word ''non-factual''?

Then shut up and stop trying to provide one. Protesting a defaming article while protesting (or not protesting) issues of governance cannot serve as a definition of cowardice.
defaming article indeed. . . . i wouldnt blame you for typing this, it's a consequence of your inability to read and deduce information from a simple sentence.

Again, go to North Korea if you want to dictate to people. Each individual is free to protest what he/she deems fit. If you don't like it or can't stand it, move along or stick a couple of toothpicks in your beady eyes. grin
I think its you fools who should emigrate to North korea. . . there is freedom of press in the free world and any journalist can write and hope whateva he likes in his articles as long as it stems from the truth. so stop crying
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by alamsdee: 1:13pm On Jun 03, 2010
the rabies dog is back
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Tudor6(f): 1:21pm On Jun 03, 2010
alamsdee:

the rabies [b]RABID[/b]dog is back
idiot its RABID. . . . example; the Rabid illiterate cant type English
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by alamsdee: 1:25pm On Jun 03, 2010
sorry sir

a title holder knows more than a commoner
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by alamsdee: 1:26pm On Jun 03, 2010
@tudor

sincere apologies for all the negative comments made earlier, i do now see reasons with u
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by alamsdee: 1:29pm On Jun 03, 2010
the nigerian government is the root cause of the hardship faced by all nigerian youths
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Tudor6(f): 1:31pm On Jun 03, 2010
alamsdee:

@tudor

sincere apologies for all the negative comments made earlier, i do now see reasons with u
geezz. . .do i look like i give a damn?  
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Leonidis: 1:32pm On Jun 03, 2010
Tudór:

This is becoming embarrassing. . havent i asked you noise makers to provide me a quote in the article that says ALL NIGERIANS ARE FRAUDSTERS. . .why is that so hard for you? or is it all about making baseless claims?

What is embarrassing is that although you've stopped breastfeeding (I hope) you still need things to be completely spelt out for you before you can consume it. There is nothing baseless about the claims, the issue lies with your limited reasoning ability. If you cannot make logical deductions, then ask for a refund from the educational institutions you attended - that is not my problem.

And email scamming nigerian fraudsters are fiction, right? the writer just invented them outta the blue. . thank u!

Again you are displaying idiocy - support Nigeria to reduce scam emails? Is that fact to you? Is it a 'fact' that the super eagles are 'good for your inbox'?

firstly, the writer MADE NO CLAIMS. he stated each year, nigerian fraudsters send millions of email- THIS IS FACT!
then went on to say He hopes they (super eagles)succeed MAYBE it'll distract them(fraudsters) awhile.

You must lack even the most basic comprehension skills if you don't recognise 'the super eagles are good for your inbox' as an insulting assertion or claim. Scratch that, it's moronic.  I suggest you take your own advice and brush up on your education. The words 'maybe' and 'hope' was never used, so maybe you should learn how to read again as well.

pls provide me a quote from the article that makes ''generalizations'' and dont forget to include the dictionary meaning of the word coz it seems you dont even know what it means

The generalisation lies in the way the article will be perceived - refer to my previous post. To take something neutral and intentionally colour it negatively with a baseless assertion that 'the super eagles are good for your inbox' is unacceptable and will colour a neutral observer's opinion of Nigeria.

if I say ''Each year colombian drug gangs murder 500 people'', it automatically means ''ALL COLOMBIANS ARE DRUG LORDS''. . . .geez u guys are indeed idiots.
Again, do nigerian fraudsters not send millions of scam mails each year? is that not FACT or u dont know the meaning of the word ''non-factual''?

You are dumber than you appeared initially - is 'the super eagles are good for your inbox' factual? A yes or no will suffice. No one is denying the scam emails, it is the idiotic linkage to the super eagles that is offensive.

I think its you fools who should emigrate to North korea. . . there is freedom of press in the free world and any journalist can write and hope whateva he likes in his articles as long as it stems from the truth. so stop crying

The article has been removed due to opposition to it. The aim of this thread has been achieved. You need to stop blowing meaningless hot air and learn to separate your obsessions from the matter being discussed. If you want to go on repeating the same thing like a babbling idiot, keep exercising your freedom to do so.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by N101: 1:33pm On Jun 03, 2010
lagerwhenindoubt:

This sort of approach works well with the BBC because in such a society, there are negative collateral consequences that can grow into a major PR disaster on a national scale. the BBC has come to understand this and have taken face-saving measures. (not that they were honestly apologetic if you read the retraction) but the effect is the same nonetheless, the offensive news is off the web (after been read, blogged and spread by literally thousands of Internet users world-wide)  angry

In Nigeria, there are negative collateral consequences as well and they continue to send reverberating negative PR shock-waves around the globe but there is no amount of expression (positive or negative, passive or aggressive, peaceful or war-like) that will bring about face-saving retractions or reforms or change in Nigeria. What we have are shameless leaders in nearly all spheres of activity from corporate to governmental, an aggressive registering of opinion as was done here will have no effect on our corrupt leaders. none at all  sad

Totally agree with you.  Complaining works in this case, but I'm curious if the same energy is used to protest against come of the actions of our legislators etc.  But I guess it's one rule for them and another for us, because we expect justice elsewhere except for at home, right?

Granted it was a cheap shot, the irony is that the same comment made by the BBC journalist about 419ers during the world cup was made recently on a Nigerian radio station.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by alamsdee: 1:36pm On Jun 03, 2010
@tudor

i do understand ur pain and ur disappointment in the nigerian government, what the nigerian youth is faces today is totally unfair
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by alamsdee: 1:50pm On Jun 03, 2010
@ tudor

the youths are not gainfully employed, admissions into the universities are politicized. Taking into consideration someone like you who ought to be gainfully employed, or be enrolled in one of the universities, here you are wasting precious time at the cyber cafe disgracing youself publicly. your intellectualy capability is commensurate to a toddler in the uk. Sure brother, keep the fight on, we all we unite as one and fight corruption and nepotism in the country
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by wirinet(m): 1:53pm On Jun 03, 2010
Tudor, What everybody is saying is that the portion about 419 is totally out of context. Meaning the context in which it is used is false, inappropriate and sarcastic.
No body is disputing the fact that millions of spam mails is sent from Nigeria each year. But for a journalist to  write the profile of a country's football team and input his conjectures and assumptions is totally unprofessional. There is no scientific study to suggest that during a football tournament, spam mails from Nigeria reduces. If the reporter had actually carried out such a study, he should have provided the facts.

Even the best excuse the BBC could come up with is that it was a joke, because was glaring that it was not applicable to the said profile. So i am surprised you are the only one who do not see any wrong with the profile. You seem to hate anything Nigerian and support anybody who takes takes cheap shots at Nigerians and Nigeria.

If the said piece was in a tabloid or a less serious section, most people would have laughed it off, but to pass that a news or a profile of the National team is unprofessional.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by alamsdee: 1:55pm On Jun 03, 2010
@ tudor

the youths are not gainfully employed, admissions into the universities are politicized. Taking into consideration someone like you who ought to be gainfully employed, or be enrolled in one of the universities, here you are wasting precious time at the cyber cafe disgracing youself publicly. your intellectual capability is commensurate to a toddler in the uk. Sure brother, keep the fight on, we all we unite as one and fight corruption and nepotism in the country
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by alamsdee: 1:56pm On Jun 03, 2010
@tudor

i do understand your pain and your disappointment in the nigerian government, what the nigerian youth faces today is totally unfair
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by tkb417(m): 2:01pm On Jun 03, 2010
N101:

Totally agree with you.  Complaining works in this case, but I'm curious if the same energy is used to protest against come of the actions of our legislators etc.  But I guess it's one rule for them and another for us, because we expect justice elsewhere except for at home, right?

Granted it was a cheap shot, the irony is that the same comment made by the BBC journalist about 419ers during the world cup was made recently on a Nigerian radio station.  
when you read 9ja dailies, u'll see those calling for the heads of our politicians day in day out
civil rights organisations, pressure groups, media, students and are in unison in condemning and standing against most of their actions
recently, a group in Nigeria marched in abuja asking for the whereabout of the late President and blah blah blah

If you know Nigeria very well, you will know what has been happening. Is it Politicians that flout court orders at will that will listen to cries and invectives from toothless dogs like us? do u know how many newspaper editors have been killed in the last 6 months?

the only reason why BBC heed our call is because they operate in a society where the rule of law is numero uno
if you like, carry placards and burn tyres in Nigeria, nobody gives a flying fck
u probably might get urself killed at the end with no attendant consequences
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by alamsdee: 2:15pm On Jun 03, 2010
its folks like him that get into NANS and student govt unions in nigerian universities, they engineer boys to start aluta, but they are never at the fore front of the kasala, a friend of mine listened to people like him, what did he get in return? a building in unilag was named in memory of him. i can still remember the sounds of bullets flying aroud us that ill-fated day.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Tudor6(f): 2:17pm On Jun 03, 2010
Leonidis:

What is embarrassing is that although you've stopped breastfeeding (I hope) you still need things to be completely spelt out for you before you can consume it. There is nothing baseless about the claims, the issue lies with your limited reasoning ability. If you cannot make logical deductions, then ask for a refund from the educational institutions you attended - that is not my problem.

Again you are displaying idiocy - support Nigeria to reduce scam emails? Is that fact to you? Is it a 'fact' that the super eagles are 'good for your inbox'?

You must lack even the most basic comprehension skills if you don't recognise[b] 'the super eagles are good for your inbox' as an insulting assertion or claim. Scratch that, it's moronic.[/b]  I suggest you take your own advice and brush up on your education. The words 'maybe' and 'hope' was never used, so maybe you should learn how to read again as well.

who cares if its insulting? the issue should be weather the claim is valid or not. the truth hurts and if we sorely decide to speak based on people's feelings then not much truth will be said in the world today.

Insultig assertion? to whom? recieving stupid emails from crazy people who think you to be dumb n seeking to dupe you- now thats insulting.

the writer made his assertion based on fact being that email scams are sent every year. did you not do logic?

you havent shown me how irrational the writers claims are. i already gave you instance of how football affected a situation in ivory coast. its well evident even in the streets that wen the eagles play everywhere is deserted and everyone glued to the screen. so, is it out of this world for one to say success in the world cup will distract scammers?

can you prove that success in the world cup wouldnt distract scammers even if it only lasts while the eagles are playing ?

its obvious your grouse isnt with the rationality or truth in this statement rather coz you feel it ''insults'' you. . . .bad news, its a free world and people arent obliged to respect your feelings.

tackle issues rationally/logically/intelligently and not based emotions.

The generalisation lies in the way the article will be perceived - refer to my previous post. To take something neutral and intentionally colour it negatively with a baseless assertion that 'the super eagles are good for your inbox' is unacceptable and will colour a neutral observer's opinion of Nigeria.
So that in your opinion constitutes ''generalization''?? check you dictionary and come back to me. i ask for quotes pointing to generalizations and you're barking about phantom ''neutrals''?

like i've showed you above, the claim is not without basis and will hold water in any court of law as rational.

the writer clearly used the noun ''NIGERIAN FRAUDSTERS'', any so called ''neutral'' who takes that to mean ''NIGERIANS'' isn't a neutral at all in the first place and should be classified as a fool. . .so, i'm sorry to say, you have no point

You are dumber than you appeared initially - is 'the super eagles are good for your inbox' factual? A yes or no will suffice. No one is denying the scam emails, it is the idiotic linkage to the super eagles that is offensive.
Yes, it a valid assertion with basis, true or not, time will tell. . .i await you to debunk it logically and stop ejac.ula.ting in an emotional frenzy because you feel ''offended''.

just like i see clouds gathering and lightening and thunder and opine its gonna rain. . .whether it rains or not is my thought process not valid?  
The article has been removed due to opposition to it. The aim of this thread has been achieved. You need to stop blowing meaningless hot air and learn to separate your obsessions from the matter being discussed. If you want to go on repeating the same thing like a babbling idiot, keep exercising your freedom to do so.
i've asked this several times, it has been removed, THEN WHAT?. . . .the next time another appears you start another campaign again, right? then on and on and on and on. make no mistakes, as long as nigeria is still backward, plagued with problems and our unemployed youths are pushed to fraud- these incidents willkp on repeating themselves

i say again, this is just wasted effort. . . if this same energy and zeal is directed towards tackling the root cause of these problems and confronting those responsible then we wont see foreigners using us as butt jokes, and even if they do, we can raise our heads high and call them to order as then it'll be an outright lie but as at now, they hv spoken nothing but truth.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by EloSela(f): 2:24pm On Jun 03, 2010
I think some Nigerians need to lighten up and get a sense of humour. Geez!
It beggar's belief the amount of passion and fervour you guys have put into lobbying the BBC over a simple statement made in jest.
For the record anyone with at basic primary school level comprehension skills would have been able to understand that that statement did not refer to ALL Nigerians.

This is surely a case where everyone is chasing rats while the house is on fire.

Granted it was a cheap shot, the irony is that the same comment made by the BBC journalist about 419ers during the world cup was made recently on a Nigerian radio station

So doesn't anyone have anything to say about this?
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Tudor6(f): 2:29pm On Jun 03, 2010
tkb417:

when you read 9ja dailies, u'll see those calling for the heads of our politicians day in day out
civil rights organisations, pressure groups, media, students and are in unison in condemning and standing against most of their actions
recently, a group in Nigeria marched in abuja asking for the whereabout of the late President and blah blah blah

If you know Nigeria very well, you will know what has been happening. Is it Politicians that flout court orders at will that will listen to cries and invectives from[b] toothless dogs like us[/b]? do u know how many newspaper editors have been killed in the last 6 months?

the only reason why BBC heed our call is because they operate in a society where the rule of law is numero uno
if you like, carry placards and burn tyres in Nigeria, nobody gives a flying fck
u probably might get urself killed at the end with no attendant consequences
You see, this is the problem, you are NOT toothless! this country belongs to you and me and until the people take back what is thiers we'll still be like this for generations to come.

it happened in france, south africa, iran, ukraine and thailand. . . why not nigeria?

of course people will have to die, but that to me is a small price to pay for freedom
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by tkb417(m): 2:32pm On Jun 03, 2010
Tudór:

You see, this is the problem, you are NOT toothless! this country belongs to you and me and until the people take back what is thiers we'll still be like this for generations to come.

it happened in france, south africa, iran, ukraine and thailand. . . why not nigeria?

of course people will have to die, but that to me is a small price to pay for freedom
unfortunately, i dont want to die grin grin grin

do u know how many were killed during the June 12 struggle?
we are still where we are

i dont want to be a sacrififcial lamb that will not be acceptable to the gods!!
if i die and things change, e for better grin grin
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Leonidis: 2:38pm On Jun 03, 2010
Tudór:

who cares if its insulting? the issue should be weather the claim is valid or not. the truth hurts and if we sorely decide to speak based on people's feelings then not much truth will be said in the world today.

So it is now 'truth' that the 'super eagles are good for your inbox'?   How daft. If you don’t care, others do - again, this isn’t about you.

the writer made his assertion based on fact being that email scams are sent every year. did you not do logic?

Kindly explain how your idiotic logic extends to the super eagles being good for your inbox.

you havent shown me how irrational the writers claims are. i already gave you instance of how football affected a situation in ivory coast. its well evident even in the streets that wen the eagles play everywhere is deserted and everyone glued to the screen. so, is it out of this world for one to say success in the world cup will distract scammers?

From saying no claim was made, you are now saying it is not 'out of this world'? Are you now fighting the multiple voices in your head?

can you prove that success in the world cup wouldnt distract scammers even if it only lasts while the eagles are playing ?

I didn't make any claim, so the burden of proof lies with the writer - again, simple logic would lead you to that obvious conclusion yet you fail woefully.  sad

its obvious your grouse isnt with the rationality or truth in this statement rather coz you feel it ''insults'' you. . . .bad news, its a free world and people arent obliged to respect your feelings.

My grouse is clearly with the rationality - saying 'super eagles are good for your inbox' is irrational, non-factual and highly idiotic. If anything, the world cup creates an opportunity for more football related scam emails to be circulated.

So that in your opinion constitutes ''generalization''?? check you dictionary and come back to me. i ask for quotes pointing to generalizations and you're barking about phantom ''neutrals''?

The basis of an article is to create an impression in the minds of the readers, so YES you dimwit, the focus of the complaint is the impression it will give those reading it.

like i've showed you above, the claim is not without basis and will hold water in any court of law as rational.

You have shown nothing - besides, as anyone with intelligence levels above that of an infant would know, events like the world cup INCREASE spam and fraud emails.

the writer clearly used the noun ''NIGERIAN FRAUDSTERS'', any so called ''neutral'' who takes that to mean ''NIGERIANS'' isn't a neutral at all in the first place and should be classified as a fool. . .so, i'm sorry to say, you have no point

I’m sorry to say you have little understanding of audience perception. Negative connotations are very quickly formed by association.

Yes, it a valid assertion with basis, true or not, time will tell. . .i await you to debunk it logically and stop ejac.ula.ting in an emotional frenzy because you feel ''offended''.
The logic is clear for all to see, except yourself; but let me humour you:

“Historically, any large-scale sporting event has shown an increase in all kinds of cyber threats. Phishing attacks increased by 66% (worldwide) during the Beijing Olympics in 2008.” said Symantec analyst Paul Wood.

http://www.scam-detectives.co.uk/blog/2010/02/15/world-cup-2010-an-opportunity-for-cyber-criminals/

i say again, this is just wasted effort. . . if this same energy and zeal is directed towards tackling the root cause of these problems and confronting those responsible then we wont see foreigners using us as butt jokes, and even if they do, we can raise our heads high and call them to order as then it'll be an outright lie but as at now, they hv spoken nothing but truth.

There are numerous threads and emails that have been thrown at the Nigerian government. Secondly, there is NO TRUTH in the claim that ‘the super eagles are good for your inbox’. If you fail to see that, you are nothing but a deluded twit.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Blessing Okagbare Wins 100M In Monaco Diamond League / World Cup: Japan Vs Poland - 0 - 1 (Full Time) / Reward Me Here On Earth! Obuh Demands Coaches Be Honored While They Live

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.