Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,359 members, 7,812,014 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:16 AM

Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide (24188 Views)

CCTV Footage Of Suicide Bomber Entering A Church In Sri Lanka / Photo Of Man Who Jumped Into Third Mainland Bridge This Morning / Face Of Woman Who Parked SUV, Jumped Off Mainland Bridge, Her Nude Photos Leaked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Onisokuso1(m): 12:19am On Jun 13, 2018
autojosh:
Unarguably, Nigeria has witnessed more suicide cases within the last 4 years than since when the country gained independence.

Clearly, there is frustration and hardship in the land. These situations have been very effective in driving so many Nigerians into depression and other mental health conditions.

Numerous cases of suicide are being reported from different parts of the country. Lagos state is not an exception.

However, in Lagos state, one spot has become notorious as a location of choice, or a favourite, for those with tendency for suicide. That location is the Third Mainland Bridge.

Frequently, Nigerians who have lost all reasons to keep staying alive travel all the way to the Third-Mainland Bridge. There, they take the very daring plunge into the Lagos lagoon, and then sink deep into their demise.

So, how can this unfortunate trend be stopped?

What measure needs to be put in place to prevent people from reducing the bridge to a place of death?

Perhaps, the government – Federal or State – should consider erecting high mesh fences similar to the median fences being erected on Lagos expressways.

Hopefully, if this is done, then the Third Mainland Bridge would stop being self-execution ground for depressed Nigerians.

https://autojosh.com/third-mainland-bridge-a-favourite-location-for-acts-of-suicide/

When we want to lie pls let's take it easy habaaaa shocked angry
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by donqx: 1:05am On Jun 13, 2018
hmmm
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by okwabayi(m): 1:24am On Jun 13, 2018
Suicide is nothing new. It wasn't televised as heavy before because there was no social media. NTA, which was the country's major source of visual news and entertainment, was busy stroking the ego of whatever administration was in power at the time. Thus they had no time to educate the masses on suicide.

People have died time and time again from accidents on the third mainland bridge. So it's now people are willingly killing themselves that something should happen? Leave matter for Mathias, anybody who tires of life is free to go.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by DAntivirus: 3:54am On Jun 13, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
Lol. People like you are big softies in real life. Yimu. Can't fool me.

grin
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by iluvpomo(m): 5:36am On Jun 13, 2018
Explorers:
Atleast 10 Lifeguards, two on a speed boats patrolling 24hrs..

Minimum of 10 lifeguards, 5 speed boats on a Shift patrolling, with binoculars, communication equipments.
I like your sense of humor...
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Nobody: 6:24am On Jun 13, 2018
Lexusgs430:

The wiseone, what solution are you providing to suicide? Even developed countries cannot stop suicide....

Learn not to insult, did your parents not teach you manners?

You can put your points across without throwing insults.....
"Let's view it as an indirect means to correct population explosion"Suicide should never be taken as a joke,Google logan paul.You may not have experienced depression but that doesn't mean u should be ignorant about it.
A lot of people are going through pains physically or emotionally which makes them to believe that taking their lives is the only way out,these are people just like You and me who are going through challenges they are Yet to overcome,just imagine your loved one's enemy commited suicide and i maid a statement that it's an Indirect way of reducing population,It would surely hurt you because it's has affected your enemy.
Please do not see suicide as a minor thing.

I've seen a lot of suicides topics on the frontpage and i noticed that nlers are commenting that Oh one less idiot or fool and this shows that we have a lot of ignorant and inhumane people on nl and in Nigeria.

About a year ago i mixed sniper with the remaining insecticide we bought for fumigation because of what i am going through but i am still alive and breathing now just because of my mum who unknowingly to her my plans called me and spoke to me that night with words of encouragement.I used to be so full of life and cheerful,we were living comfortable but things changed and i was Oppressed & also depressed,So i know how depression feels.I pray u or any of your loved ones would never go through SERIOUS depression.

I Apologize for any insult i made earlier but Sir please see suicide and depression as a major concern in our society.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Lexusgs430: 7:26am On Jun 13, 2018
Frenzy007:
"Let's view it as an indirect means to correct population explosion"Suicide should never be taken as a joke,Google logan paul.You may not have experienced depression but that doesn't mean u should be ignorant about it.
A lot of people are going through pains physically or emotionally which makes them to believe that taking their lives is the only way out,these are people just like You and me who are going through challenges they are Yet to overcome,just imagine your loved one's enemy commited suicide and i maid a statement that it's an Indirect way of reducing population,It would surely hurt you because it's has affected your enemy.
Please do not see suicide as a minor thing.

I've seen a lot of suicides topics on the frontpage and i noticed that nlers are commenting that Oh one less idiot or fool and this shows that we have a lot of ignorant and inhumane people on nl and in Nigeria.

About a year ago i mixed sniper with the remaining insecticide we bought for fumigation because of what i am going through but i am still alive and breathing now just because of my mum who unknowingly to her my plans called me and spoke to me that night with words of encouragement.I used to be so full of life and cheerful,we were living comfortable but things changed and i was Oppressed & also depressed,So i know how depression feels.I pray u or any of your loved ones would never go through SERIOUS depression.

I Apologize for any insult i made earlier but Sir please see suicide and depression as a major concern in our society.

Apologies accepted.... I would also want to apologise for my outburst.....

I have rescued attempted suicide victims before, I have attended successful suicide attempts, I have also attempted to resuscitate suicide victims (some successful others not).

So I have witnessed suicidal incidents on all fronts, as a 3rd party....

The most painful thing about suicide is, majority of those you rescue, attempt suicide at other times and are successful.

Which is why I said, you can never legislate against suicide.......

My last attempt at unsuccessfully resuscitation was 3 weeks ago, so I see and hear about it, more than you can imagine.

You cannot save/protect someone against themselves, if they intend to take their lives, they would find a way...

Sorry to hear about your bout of depression and attempts at contemplating suicide. Very pleased you are making a healthy recovery.....

3 Likes

Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Celestyn8213: 7:48am On Jun 13, 2018
felaismyhero:
nonsense talk,where is hell? i support anyone willing to commit suicide,provided they have strong reasons.some situations can be really hopeless.luckily,we humans reincarnate,so a 'suicidee' can always have the chance to relive life again.
Ha bro is there anything like reincarnation? You believe that?
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Nobody: 8:33am On Jun 13, 2018
autojosh:
Unarguably, Nigeria has witnessed more suicide cases within the last 4 years than since when the country gained independence.

Clearly, there is frustration and hardship in the land. These situations have been very effective in driving so many Nigerians into depression and other mental health conditions.

Numerous cases of suicide are being reported from different parts of the country. Lagos state is not an exception.

However, in Lagos state, one spot has become notorious as a location of choice, or a favourite, for those with tendency for suicide. That location is the Third Mainland Bridge.

Frequently, Nigerians who have lost all reasons to keep staying alive travel all the way to the Third-Mainland Bridge. There, they take the very daring plunge into the Lagos lagoon, and then sink deep into their demise.

So, how can this unfortunate trend be stopped?

What measure needs to be put in place to prevent people from reducing the bridge to a place of death?

Perhaps, the government – Federal or State – should consider erecting high mesh fences similar to the median fences being erected on Lagos expressways.

Hopefully, if this is done, then the Third Mainland Bridge would stop being self-execution ground for depressed Nigerians.

https://autojosh.com/third-mainland-bridge-a-favourite-location-for-acts-of-suicide/

True talk about the increase in suicides in the last 4 years tho BMC zombies wee hate and deny it
Sadly fences wont stop ppl determined to commit suicide tho as they will always find another way
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by revontuli(f): 8:40am On Jun 13, 2018
Sadly major bridges attract suicidal people all over the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicides_at_the_Golden_Gate_Bridge
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by toniacan(f): 8:53am On Jun 13, 2018
There are a thousand and one way to commit suicide, no measures can stop it except it is tackled through the psyche of the individual.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 10:04am On Jun 13, 2018
kyjuan99:

True talk about the increase in suicides in the last 4 years tho BMC zombies wee hate and deny it
Sadly fences wont stop ppl determined to commit suicide tho as they will always find another way
Check our signature and call us or click the WhatsApp chat link in blue below to chat us DIRECTLY - 08027390046
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Idoko619(m): 10:52am On Jun 13, 2018
Explorers:
Atleast 10 Lifeguards, two on a speed boats patrolling 24hrs..

Minimum of 10 lifeguards, 5 speed boats on a Shift patrolling, with binoculars, communication equipments.

because somebody want to kill himself abi
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by felaismyhero(m): 9:58am On Jun 14, 2018
Celestyn8213:

Ha bro is there anything like reincarnation? You believe that?
i do to a large extent,it has some proofs unlike heaven and hell which is based on mere fantasy.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by OKUCHI11(m): 11:28pm On Jun 23, 2018
OrestesDante:
angry angry angry

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They should not forget to make it electric.

That means say people go go back to sniper and fanta back be that.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

guy..no vex say I quote you... this you comment pack of of senses...
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by OKUCHI11(m): 11:28pm On Jun 23, 2018
OrestesDante:
angry angry angry

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They should not forget to make it electric.

That means say people go go back to sniper and fanta back be that.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

guy..no vex say I quote you... this your comment make a lot of of sense...hahahah

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Anambra Vigilante Kills Man 4 Days To Wedding / Usifo Ataga: Onoh Ojukwu, Four Others Charged With Obstruction Of Justice / Newborn Baby Left To Die In A Bathroom (Graphic Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.