Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,336 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:56 AM

Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide (24187 Views)

CCTV Footage Of Suicide Bomber Entering A Church In Sri Lanka / Photo Of Man Who Jumped Into Third Mainland Bridge This Morning / Face Of Woman Who Parked SUV, Jumped Off Mainland Bridge, Her Nude Photos Leaked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Paperwhite(m): 8:11pm On Jun 12, 2018
There should be more policing of that bridge as in the case of Apongbon bridge. undecided
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by antagonist: 8:11pm On Jun 12, 2018
There have been, and there are bound to be, comments from people on this topic, ranging from asinine to empathetic, about suicide.

The fact is that sociocultural factors have made mental health a taboo topic in this part of the world. A person suffering from mental health problems is much less likely to seek professional help, or even recognize that such help exists.

Earlier in the day I came across a topic which perfectly sums up the Nigerian attitude to Suicide and mental health. The reactions to that topic were saddening but unsurprising.

https://www.nairaland.com/4556638/suicide-car-keys

As a society, we just refuse to accept that mental health is just as important as physical health, if not more so, because physical ailments are seen, observed. Mental ailments are that much harder to diagnose.

Someone with a mental health challenge would be more likely to be considered a pervert, a lay-about, lazy, malingering, and all sorts of mischaracterisations, just as we believe suicide is a deliberate decision. It is, but because we just cannot fathom that mental health ailments are real, we fail to recognize that an overwhelming majority of such decisions are made from a background of severely diminished mental capacity.

The statistics are worrisome. 90% or more of all suicides come from a background of mental health issues, from depression to substance abuse.

Until we begin to understand that mental health is as important as physical health, and make societal and cultural adjustments, this trend will unfortunately continue to rise.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Godson201333(m): 8:12pm On Jun 12, 2018
It is not only Third mainland Bridge that has been a spot for suicide but many lonely bridges...The same goes to the Golden gate bridge in California.I once also experienced one at the Eko Bridge in Idumota. She got out the wema bank, Her account balance was empty and she was lonely and depressed.

It is only Citizens that could help themselves,The only solution is this,Once anybody notice someone wandering and loitering around in a lonely place like third mainland Bridge,Approach them with love and try to talk to them.

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Yankee101: 8:12pm On Jun 12, 2018
Set up barriers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by slapandfall(m): 8:12pm On Jun 12, 2018
F
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jun 12, 2018
Misplaced priorities. It's not about putting a fence or any other thing to stop them, what matters is what you're willing to do to help them out of their situation.

Truth is, a lot of people have considered suicide in one way or the other but the fear of pain before death and also the religious aspect of burning in hell scares them out of it. It's only going to be a matter of time for them to make up their mind and go against all odds if the situation still lingers.

Are you ready to follow them up and help them in taking care of such situation?

Or

Will you be part of those who will end up making fun of their situation despite being against them committing suicide?

If your answer to the second question is 'Yes' or 'Not sure', then it's best you let them go.

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by opribo(m): 8:15pm On Jun 12, 2018
There is nothing wrong if anyone decides to end his or her life. If the living condition is unbearable then why hang in there and become a nuisance or an embarrassment.

Banking on hope doesn't make sense at all. Once the chips are down and you try just quit. It is a heroic act to get the he'll away when you still can before they help you you do it anyway.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by NXTDANGOTE(m): 8:16pm On Jun 12, 2018
God is good
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by nuele(m): 8:16pm On Jun 12, 2018
Nice suggestion
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by DAntivirus: 8:16pm On Jun 12, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
They need to high up dem rails and electrify them. You touch you get zapped. I am wicked personified grin

faster way to die grin
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by joey150(m): 8:19pm On Jun 12, 2018
Nonsense..whoever wants to jump should have a nice swim
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jun 12, 2018
DAntivirus:

faster way to die grin
Lol... Just low voltage shock to get people away from it and rescued by those around. No one would even wanna go near it.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by DAntivirus: 8:27pm On Jun 12, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
Lol... Just low voltage shock to get people away from it and rescued by those around. No one would even wanna go near it.

what if the person has a heart condition?
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by ThinkSmarter: 8:28pm On Jun 12, 2018
Explorers:
Atleast 10 Lifeguards, two on a speed boats patrolling 24hrs..

Minimum of 10 lifeguards, 5 speed boats on a Shift patrolling, with binoculars, communication equipments.
Explorer my nigga, u tried in ur recommendation, but THIS IS NIGERIA not yankee.

2 Likes

Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jun 12, 2018
Unfortunately there is nothing the government can do about this. The only way out is for us to be nice to each other. Many Nigerian live with hate.... there are no real families and friends anymore. We are more concerned about how to buy a car, build a house, live a fake life. We don’t help each other and this is obvious in government. No empathy or whatsoever. Be nice to the next person as you may just be saving another soul from suicide.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jun 12, 2018
DAntivirus:

what if the person has a heart condition?
"what if"? I came up with a solution, what's your own solution? Abi yours is to criticize sad

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Explorers(m): 8:36pm On Jun 12, 2018
ThinkSmarter:
Explorer my nigga, u tried in ur recommendation, but THIS IS NIGERIA not yankee.

Lol.....Bros we are capable o, we have the resources but i can't explain.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by DAntivirus: 8:38pm On Jun 12, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
"what if"? I came up with a solution, what's your own solution? Abi yours is to criticize sad

my solution is to aid anyone attempting to commit suicide, if they want to jump, push them... if they want to hang themselves with rope, give them chains (its stronger and faster).
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jun 12, 2018
Firefire:
Sebi they voted CHAIN. They should please be dying is pieces.

Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Divay22(f): 8:41pm On Jun 12, 2018
It looks peaceful though lipsrsealed
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by oruma19: 8:47pm On Jun 12, 2018
so money wey dem go take empower people to do business na e u say make dem take build fence. see how shallow nigerians can be? insstead of advocating for beta welfare for the citizens u are saying they should build fence so frustrated pple wont commit suicide. May mumu not kill u .

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jun 12, 2018
DAntivirus:

my solution is to aid anyone attempting to commit suicide, if they want to jump, push them... if they want to hang themselves with rope, give them chains (its stronger and faster).
Lol. People like you are big softies in real life. Yimu. Can't fool me.

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by uwajeh(m): 8:54pm On Jun 12, 2018
"Nigeria has witnessed more suicides in the last four years than since independence". Where did you get your statistics from?!! Please understand that there's much more information on display than at anytime in the history of the world but that doesn't mean that things are worse than ever. All this unnecessary exaggeration must stop for our country to survive. Order do you have another country?
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by ThinkSmarter: 9:04pm On Jun 12, 2018
Explorers:

Lol.....Bros we are capable o, we have the resources but i can't explain.
Yeah, definitely we hv all the resources at our disposal but the real factor mitigating... ,is the BLACKMAN MENTALITY.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jun 12, 2018
WALLAHI THEY WILL STILL CLIMB AM JUMP INSIDE THE WATER
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Dex4(m): 9:26pm On Jun 12, 2018
Bros, which level? U just no want make ppl die at all at all.
OrestesDante:
angry angry angry

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They should not forget to make it electric.

That means say people go go back to sniper and fanta back be that.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Pascal181: 9:42pm On Jun 12, 2018
Government should demolish that bridge
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Mzyouzee: 9:50pm On Jun 12, 2018
They should increase mental health awareness in Nigeria and find another lasting solution
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jun 12, 2018
Lexusgs430:
You can never legislate against suicide........ If they want to kill themselves, nothing anyone can majorly do about it, they would still find a way.....

Let's view it as an indirect means to correct population explosion......
I used to respect u but now i can see that u are a senseless and ignorant person,Because u are living a very comfortable life doesn't mean others are.Trust me I've felt really depressed before and i almost took my life so i know how it feels.
A matured man like u shouldn't be this ignorant.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by Lexusgs430: 11:33pm On Jun 12, 2018
Frenzy007:
I used to respect u but now i can see that u are a senseless and ignorant person,Because u are living a very comfortable life doesn't mean others are.Trust me I've felt really depressed before and i almost took my life so i know how it feels.
A matured man like u shouldn't be this ignorant.

The wiseone, what solution are you providing to suicide? Even developed countries cannot stop suicide....

Learn not to insult, did your parents not teach you manners?

You can put your points across without throwing insults.....
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by felaismyhero(m): 11:37pm On Jun 12, 2018
Celestyn8213:
Short cut to hell
nonsense talk,where is hell? i support anyone willing to commit suicide,provided they have strong reasons.some situations can be really hopeless.luckily,we humans reincarnate,so a 'suicidee' can always have the chance to relive life again.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge: A Favourite Location For Acts Of Suicide by nigeria005(m): 11:59pm On Jun 12, 2018
motors must not be allowed to park around dat axis,na mammy water dey call dem...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Anambra Vigilante Kills Man 4 Days To Wedding / Usifo Ataga: Onoh Ojukwu, Four Others Charged With Obstruction Of Justice / Police Arrest 18-year-old For Attempt To Rob ABSU Students, Three Others [VIDEO]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.