Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,797 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

I Caught My Colleagues Stealing - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Caught My Colleagues Stealing (7201 Views)

Inspector Held For ‘forging’ Colleagues’ Promotion Signals (photo) / Caught My Boss In The Act; Am I Safe? / I Caught My Boss Pant Down With My Supervisor's Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by trashable: 1:53pm On Jun 03, 2010
Hello nairaland citizens, i need some advice over what happen in my office. I caught a colleague of mine stealing but he does not know i caught him, so am of two opinion of exposing him or calling him to order. If i expose him to the management definitly they (mgt) sack him and he's a family man. He is stealing money thru our system. The first time he did this, i caught him and decide to see if he will draw out this money, i think he notice i knew, so he decided to use another means and i caught him again. What sholud i do?
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by mishooo(m): 2:02pm On Jun 03, 2010
I think you should call him to order and give him the last warning, so you do not all bear the brunt of his misdeeds. I hope this does not aggravate into police matters which will make all of you in that Dept. sleep in cells (for at least 24hrs) and tortured in the process of Nigerian Police Investigations.

Our people say if we overlook the consumption of an insect by a room mate, his cries for help wouldn't allow us to sleep peacefully at night.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by dustydee: 9:05am On Jun 04, 2010
report him,if he stole from your personal purse what would you do, treat him like you would if he stole from you.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by eloii: 12:05pm On Jun 05, 2010
I suggest that u should called him and warn him for the last time and tell him that God in heaven is also seeing him. And if he try it next time that you will bring him 2 be expose.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by raven95(f): 12:11pm On Jun 05, 2010
I would say you let your management know about it. Only if you've got proof, Don't call his attention to it, cos he might end up setting you up saying yall are together in it.
My advice for you is(TPA)  first THINK  
PLAN and then
ACT,
This always works for me, i hope it helps you too in your deciesions.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by HNIC(m): 12:13pm On Jun 05, 2010
If you are in Naija, report the peson immediately because if it ends up being a Police case later, you may be labelled an 'accomplice' by the Police
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by Marhoski(m): 12:15pm On Jun 05, 2010
na wa oh, do what u think is best, coz u know thr setting and everything better than us. goodluck.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by styles2009: 12:16pm On Jun 05, 2010
Call him to order but please get some proof and keep them for your own personal safety, Think about it the other way round,what if, he decide to lie against you,that you are the culprit? then it wouldn't be funny cos he would get you fired.

Call him to order,try to know,why he's doing that (Maybe in Debt or family problems) but lastly Keep some proof for yourself about all his acts,it would help you someday.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jun 05, 2010
Report him to Management; he might end up setting you up
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by maclatunji: 12:27pm On Jun 05, 2010
Make sure that the proof you have against him is water and air tight. Then report him to management discreetly. Why? Because it is the right thing to do.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by DADON(m): 12:29pm On Jun 05, 2010
2ruth b told i indeed agree with others summon 2him let him knw ure fully aware of his folish act when next such act repeat itself he wil definately face d consiquen. bt i will adv u involve some else jst incase u wount b implicated
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by skfa1: 12:31pm On Jun 05, 2010
Do it in a wise way, u knw what I mean?
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by xteve(m): 12:37pm On Jun 05, 2010
I think u shud ask him to drop d money he stole,if not when he gets caught some day he will drag u along
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by cvibe: 12:43pm On Jun 05, 2010
A stitch in time saves nine
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by eros(m): 12:54pm On Jun 05, 2010
Just like others have said, i will advise you call him to order and most importantly have some kind of back up proof of his misdeed, just incase he decides to act funny and turn the table on you. Some people can be very mean and wicked and would desperately do anything to get rid of anyone who tries to get in their way.

So approach this issue with caution, so that you don't end up being the victim instead of the victor.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by zebra543: 12:58pm On Jun 05, 2010
Dont approach him because you dont know how desperate he is, You should report him, you are thinkin of his family? Think about yours if employers are encouraged to steal and the company is run down, will you have a job to feed your own family? As an adult you know what is wrong what is right and what the best options are, if you report him you may even be given a promotion!
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by kshow1(m): 1:10pm On Jun 05, 2010
maclatunji:

Make sure that the proof you have against him is water and air tight. Then report him to management discreetly. Why? Because it is the right thing to do.
Am fully in support of these.

Calling him to order means you are an accomplice if the theft is eventually discovered.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by cooltobex(m): 1:17pm On Jun 05, 2010
I think you should report him/her to the management, because if you don't, when this person is caught by the management, he/she will claim you were both in it. So the best thing is REPORT! before its too late, i've seen cases of it happen.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by MUNEER2(m): 1:36pm On Jun 05, 2010
Just let him be. A thief would never get satisfied with what he has. He would continue stealing until someone that would never take a sorry would have him. Do your job, i can assure you that he is just an inch away from getting caught. Please, don't do anything funny, it's not your job to watch over him, do your job and leave him to be caught by a senior colleague.
May God be with you.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by otokx(m): 1:55pm On Jun 05, 2010
Make sure your proof is watertight then collate it and report the guy to management; just heard of a friend who was sacked from a bank due to negligence on his part in detecting and reporting a fraud in his department. The culprit as usual ran out of Nigeria with the loot leaving most of the others without a job.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jun 05, 2010
@OP

Display your power, be diplomatic, call your colleague and talk one on one, expose his crime to him and let him know you feel bad.anyway he'll apologize.do this because we dont really know who we meet later going to the top of the ladder.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by Olabrown: 2:31pm On Jun 05, 2010
let the organisation know cos what is bad is bad.the day they would find out i pray that you would not be robe in as you are covering a thief.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jun 05, 2010
only 1 right thing to do:

REPORT him to management

ask yourself,if the company is yours ,would you want an employee stealing from you?

the answer would guide you
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by johndavid1(m): 2:41pm On Jun 05, 2010
MrPrsdent:

only 1 right thing to do:

REPORT him to management

ask yourself,if the company is yours ,would you want an employee stealing from you?

the answer would guide you
WoW! your answer is wonderful! you have said it all.
Do to others what you want others to do to you.Gbam! wink wink wink
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by damilola15: 2:50pm On Jun 05, 2010
Report him.
If you can use your mobile phone to record, record.
If he had guts to steal, he could be a good liar/manipulator, the clip u record or snap could finish him.
Report him, ur butt could be implicated if you don't act fast.

wait wait wait, REPORT HIM
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jun 05, 2010
In my native dialect, there is a wise saying that " E KWUO ANUGHI NA-EGBU NWATA, MANA, AHU EKWUGHI NA-EGBU OKENYE" It simply means ' turning deaf ear to warnings kills a child, but, concealing evil kills an adult'
So you better be wise, have your proof and report immediately to management before it is too late.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by mckea(m): 3:06pm On Jun 05, 2010
call him to order and please be humble in your approach cos you dont want to make enemy close by. well to be frank with you please report him.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by ndigbo: 3:26pm On Jun 05, 2010
@Poster, i have the same Xprience down here in my Officer and it Invloved my supervisor. what i did was to call every one in Dept on a monday morning Xcluding our boss, then i narrated what happened in a very diplomatic manner because you never can tell what people are capable of. Just be careful.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by Theblessed(f): 3:27pm On Jun 05, 2010
Report him immediately!! This guy is not only selfish but cruel therefore, should be reported to the authorities and clear your conscience as the Holy man in you would not let you rest knowing you are covering up Judas Iscariot of your Company.  

You see, any money stolen from your Company is also stolen from you.  I could hear you say, oh its Company's money - no! It's your money too and you would realise it when your company declares itself Bankrupt (i.e. ran out of money) and made you all redundant as a result.  That's when you'd realise how much this guy had actually stolen from you - your job and your children's bread on the table.  So, don't think about it, report him immediately.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by oladcity(m): 3:44pm On Jun 05, 2010
Follow the process stipulated in your company policy on reporting such acts to report him. This is the right thing to do.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by hollandis(f): 3:48pm On Jun 05, 2010
Dont report.Is it your business? lipsrsealed undecided
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by Outstrip(f): 4:10pm On Jun 05, 2010
Be careful. If he is as twisted as I think his mind is he might decide to frame you since he thinks it is between you and him. Maybe you can call another trusted colleague and two of you should confront him together. You all have to be careful because all of you might go down for this one day since you have no idea how long he has been doing this.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can HND In Microbiology Be Accepted For Direct Entry For Medicine? And How ????? / How To Maintain Discipline At Work Place / Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.