Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,811 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:23 AM

I Caught My Colleagues Stealing - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Caught My Colleagues Stealing (7286 Views)

Inspector Held For ‘forging’ Colleagues’ Promotion Signals (photo) / Caught My Boss In The Act; Am I Safe? / I Caught My Boss Pant Down With My Supervisor's Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by msb247(m): 4:34pm On Jun 05, 2010
what is this trashable poster waiting for sef? report him immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by deneut: 4:48pm On Jun 05, 2010
zebra543:

Dont approach him because you dont know how desperate he is, You should report him, you are thinkin of his family? Think about yours if employers are encouraged to steal and the company is run down, will you have a job to feed your own family? As an adult you know what is wrong what is right and what the best options are, if you report him you may even be given a promotion!
very good

MUNEER2:

Just let him be. A thief would never get satisfied with what he has. He would continue stealing until someone that would never take a sorry would have him. Do your job, i can assure you that he is just an inch away from getting caught. Please, don't do anything funny, it's not your job to watch over him, do your job and leave him to be caught by a senior colleague.
May God be with you.
nice one there.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by segzicres(m): 4:56pm On Jun 05, 2010
call the cops.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by hackney(m): 5:21pm On Jun 05, 2010
I'd say call him to order.
No need getting somebody sacked in that dumpster hell hole (nigeria) especially since he's a family man.
( i wonder the size of his domestic problems but that does not warrant stealing any which ways)

Threaten to slap the Be-geebies out of his side-head if he does it again.
(tell him u r going to smack him one in the .Zap.ii.n.g gob) cool yea?

That will get him to stop unless he's a klept.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by obxddon(m): 5:25pm On Jun 05, 2010
My dear,
 You can do this, if there is a way you can monitor with a camera phone or with another colleague when next you feel he would carry out his act,so that there would be a physical evidence,  apart from that,Abeg no risk your life ohhh he could harm you spiritually or physically and the company you are trying to save would still continue,

Just make sure you have a physical evidence so that if anything happens that could kobalize you, you would have evidence to exonerate your self
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by obojo(m): 6:00pm On Jun 05, 2010
Join him, tell him u guys r 50/50 from now on wink
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by texazzpete(m): 6:04pm On Jun 05, 2010
This is a sterling example of why Nigeria is in such a mess today. Truth be told, the OP is little better than the thief himself. He has twice turned a blind eye to theft and yet you people are coddling him.

If he cannot report this matter to the relevant authorities, then let him stay where he is and stop whining about it on Nairaland. if the management catches the fellow now and he confesses that the OP knew about the crimes, guess who's also gonna get the sack?
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by MUNEER2(m): 6:21pm On Jun 05, 2010
obojo:

Join him, tell him u guys r 50/50 from now on wink
shocked shocked shocked
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by Outstrip(f): 6:32pm On Jun 05, 2010
texazzpete:

This is a sterling example of why Nigeria is in such a mess today. Truth be told, the OP is little better than the thief himself. He has twice turned a blind eye to theft and yet you people are coddling him.

If he cannot report this matter to the relevant authorities, then let him stay where he is and stop whining about it on Nairaland. if the management catches the fellow now and he confesses that the OP knew about the crimes, guess who's also gonna get the sack?

This is Nigeria. Who is relevant authority? Puhlese. In the US I would tell him to run and report it to the authorities. Who is the authority here? If he reports it he might get in trouble himself. If it was rape or murder no one will say not to report it but in this case it might not be worth it. My cousin who has businesses in Nigeria told me that she is more than aware that her employees steal from her but she is okay with it as long as they "leave something for her". LOL. This is the reality of Nigeria. If the owner of the business is on top of things he should be able to figure it out himself but most business people do not take time to this. What kind of investigation are they going to do to catch this man in the act because he is not going to come out and say I did it. He is a criminal and has family to feed on top of it. He will flat out deny it. If this guy walks up to the boss and says I caught this man trying to steal I can bet that it will not go as smoothly as you are imagining it will. I would even suggest that he should try finding another job but again this is NIgeria. How much do you want to bet that this guy is not the only one stealing there.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by Tcrack(m): 7:14pm On Jun 05, 2010
my brother, what ever you do,pls dont confront him in person because if he is an unrepentant thief which i presume he is, rather than stop, he will want to 'blend' you and if you refuse, you automatically become a threat to him and he wont stop till he has gotten rid of you. if i were you, i will send him an anonymus email telling him what i know (including his mode of operation if you know it) and that i have not exposed him because i have concerns for his family and that if he dosent stop i will expose him. pls dont confront him.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by hob(m): 7:23pm On Jun 05, 2010
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin ;DU better be careful, he mite frame u, my advice 4u is to warn him 2 stop d act or else u r goin 2 report 2 d mgt, be careful though cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by Rastamann: 7:31pm On Jun 05, 2010
Call him to order and advice him. He might be in a financial difficulty and needs some help, so call him and advice him. But be very careful the way you go about it so that he doesn't turn it on you.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by dipo2much(m): 7:39pm On Jun 05, 2010
call him and let him know you saw him. meanwhile,it may be wise to inform someone else who may defend you incase the stealing guy tries make you look like the thief. be careful sha
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by mamagee3(f): 7:58pm On Jun 05, 2010
I think you should report him to the management anonimously. . .
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by EmmyBoy2(m): 8:15pm On Jun 05, 2010
I think you should compile enough evidence if you have and tip off management
anonymously. That way they would investigate and nab him based on evidence supplied.
Look if it gets to a stage where it becomes a major scam and the Police is called in, ALL OF YOU
in that department would spend days in detention explaining your selves. You know what 9ja police is,
so save your self NOW!
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by stereotype: 8:28pm On Jun 05, 2010
Busybody, is it your money?
kindly concentrate on your own job.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by misterh(m): 9:24pm On Jun 05, 2010
Warn him and if he persists, report him b4 you get roped in cos he knows you are aware of his act.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by wazobiang: 9:57pm On Jun 05, 2010
usually, you are supposed to report him. because if he is caugth and you are implicated, you will be sacked with him. if it becomes a police case, you will be arrested. if it becomes a court case, you will be docked. easier said that done, i know. but thats the way it plays out. sorry. see no evil hear no evil no dey for constitution or law when you see or hear evil.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by Everbright(f): 10:11pm On Jun 05, 2010
@ poster, my candid take on this is that you blow the whistle, blow it loud.
you may be blown off when the management gets to find out itself.
Delay can be dangerous you know
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by makjeb: 10:14pm On Jun 05, 2010
Let him watch for a while because for that kind of stealing there may be more than one if not a senior official to him aiding him, confirm first before you report else they will set you to take the fall
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by friendl: 11:18pm On Jun 05, 2010
take the easy way out and shoot him,
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by damola1: 12:14am On Jun 06, 2010
he's a big boy, and he made his decision.

You must tell your oga. Very important, you can tell them discreetly.

If d company run down, no food again for you and family. He made his own decision when he did what he did, he MUST LEAVE with the CONSEQUENCES.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by shilling(f): 12:32am On Jun 06, 2010
Let management know, that's what I would do.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by zebra543: 2:25am On Jun 06, 2010
texazzpete:

[b]This is a sterling example of why Nigeria is in such a mess today. [/b]Truth be told, the OP is little better than the thief himself. He has twice turned a blind eye to theft and yet you people are coddling him.

thumbs up brof youve said it all!!!! The most ridiculous morals nigerians carry!
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by Nobody: 2:31am On Jun 06, 2010
Outstrip:

This is Nigeria. Who is relevant authority? Puhlese. In the US I would tell him to run and report it to the authorities. Who is the authority here? If he reports it he might get in trouble himself. If it was despoil or murder no one will say not to report it but in this case it might not be worth it. My cousin who has businesses in Nigeria told me that she is more than aware that her employees steal from her but she is okay with it as long as they "leave something for her". LOL. This is the reality of Nigeria. If the owner of the business is on top of things he should be able to figure it out himself but most business people do not take time to this. What kind of investigation are they going to do to catch this man in the act because he is not going to come out and say I did it. He is a criminal and has family to feed on top of it. He will flat out deny it. If this guy walks up to the boss and says I caught this man trying to steal I can bet that it will not go as smoothly as you are imagining it will. I would even suggest that he should try finding another job but again this is NIgeria. How much do you want to bet that this guy is not the only one stealing there.

even worse, there is no good answer because  it is quite posible that people in management are doing the same thing on a different level, or may even be in on the scam

all this crap going on in the banks that are distressed - of course the underlings knew - but when the top is rotten. . .

maybe if the ops company had an anonymous hotline

what is even worse is that he may report and NOTHING will com out of it

i say this because this exact thing has happened to me before

companies always blather about ethics and all, but when push comes to shoe, its 90% BS . so now, i have made an enemy who could quite frankly have organised people to bet me up or even kill me for absolutely nothing.

no good answers anywhere, i'm afraid.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by labiyemmy(m): 8:05am On Jun 06, 2010
As usual - streo typing everything Nigeria and Nigerian - where in his post did he mention this thing happened in Nigeria? The conclusion already is that Nigeria is the only country that harbours thieves at the workplace?
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by kech(f): 8:18am On Jun 06, 2010
texazzpete:

My dear, they say you never know the true impact of something until it hits close to home or even hits your home. Some people are saying "Mind your business na your money?" Others are saying "Don't report him cos he's a family man". Okay ooo,  but these people should remember this when they have their own businesses iiooo. When your employees start stealing from you please remember that they are family men iioooo. Remember that it's not their money so they can do with it as they like iiooo.

Employee theft almost ruined my dad's company. The funny thing is my dad is a "softie". He knew some people stole and forgave them. Guess what? Those same people kept stealing until they almost ran the company down. It took that drastic situation for my dad to finally let those culprits go. Most of these people who steal NEVER stop. If you check their history, they probably stole from every company they worked for before yours. Anyone who steals from a company DOES NOT have the company's and their colleagues best interest. Their attitude is like most people on this forum  "Which wan konsain me? No be my company. If  company close, me I go just pack my bag waka". [/i]Now tell me, who in his or her right mind wants that kind of employee? If you don't mind or don't care, good luck. As for me, some things are just taboo in a workplace. In my employee handbook it is going to state clearly, [i]"If you steal from the company? You WILL be let go and you can not appeal. If you cover up for someone who stole, you can't be trusted so you WILL be let go and you can not appeal".

Please remember YOU ATTRACT WHO YOU ARE. There are no two ways about it. The way you think, the way you reason, the way you act, those are the kind of people you'll attract in life. As for those crying "He's a family man, she's a family woman". Ibori is a family man iiiooo. That Ibru woman is a family woman iiooo. Osama is a family man iiooo. Ok na, make everybody go get family so when you steal dem no go sack you. Mumu.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by Nobody: 8:45am On Jun 06, 2010
kech:

My dear, they say you never know the true impact of something until it hits close to home or even hits your home. Some people are saying "Mind your business na your money?" Others are saying "Don't report him cos he's a family man". Okay ooo,  but these people should remember this when they have their own businesses iiooo. When your employees start stealing from you please remember that they are family men iioooo. Remember that it's not their money so they can do with it as they like iiooo.

Employee theft almost ruined my dad's company. The funny thing is my dad is a "softie". He knew some people stole and forgave them. Guess what? Those same people kept stealing until they almost ran the company down. It took that drastic situation for my dad to finally let those culprits go. Most of these people who steal NEVER stop. If you check their history, they probably stole from every company they worked for before yours. Anyone who steals from a company DOES NOT have the company's and their colleagues best interest. Their attitude is like most people on this forum  "Which wan konsain me? No be my company. If  company close, me I go just pack my bag waka". [/i]Now tell me, who in his or her right mind wants that kind of employee? If you don't mind or don't care, good luck. As for me, some things are just taboo in a workplace. In my employee handbook it is going to state clearly, [i]"If you steal from the company? You WILL be let go and you can not appeal. If you cover up for someone who stole, you can't be trusted so you WILL be let go and you can not appeal".

Please remember YOU ATTRACT WHO YOU ARE. There are no two ways about it. The way you think, the way you reason, the way you act, those are the kind of people you'll attract in life. As for those crying "He's a family man, she's a family woman". Ibori is a family man iiiooo. That Ibru woman is a family woman iiooo. Osama is a family man iiooo. Ok na, make everybody go get family so when you steal dem no go sack you. Mumu.

no offense, but you clearly have not thought our post through

are you saying your dad's company is a company based on thievery, and therefore attracted thieves?

now you tell me, in the case of ibru, basically the owner of the company - who would a whistle blower have reported to?

you are naive if you think the world is black and white where you report your colleagues or superiors for wrong doing and ride off into the sunset everytime .
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by kech(f): 9:53am On Jun 06, 2010
oyb:

no offense, but you clearly have not thought our post through

are you saying your dad's company is a company based on thievery, and therefore attracted thieves?

now you tell me, in the case of ibru, basically the owner of the company - who would a whistle blower have reported to?

you are naive if you think the world is black and white where you report your colleagues or superiors for wrong doing and ride off into the sunset everytime .

No hon, YOU are the one who is naive for reading the figure of speech literally.  Figures of speech like the name implies are usually read figuratively. If I say "He who lives by the sword dies by the sword", does it mean all those who didn't live by the sword but died by the sword are bad or evil? If I say "What you sow is what you reap", does it mean all those who didn't reap good fruits are lazy or are bad? What if I say "What goes around comes around" ,does it mean all those suffering is as a result of some bad thing they did to some person?  I really don't know how to explain a figure of speech to you because I'm not an English teacher. If you don't get it. Its all good.

As for the madam Ibru statement, that was made in relation to the fact that some people felt being a family man / woman gives you a free pass to stealing. Note, in this case the issue is not about reporting madam Ibru or not reporting. The point was, being a family man/woman doesn't make the wrong you do right or let you off the hook. After all I mentioned Osama in the same sentence, does he have anything to do with stealing? Different paragraph, different point.

As for me being naive to think "the world is black and white where you report your colleagues or superiors for wrong doing and ride off into the sunset everytime". I don't get it. I just stated what I believed in and what I wanted from a company I will own. If that makes me naive, okay, i'll take it. You have your own beliefs, others have theirs, and its all good. Everyone can not agree, if we all did, there will be a problem. So my dear, relax its really not that serious, its just an opinion. Everybody should have one. And honey, this situation really is either black or white as in its either you stand for the culprit being left off the hook or you don't. It's not rocket science.

PS. I hope you know the "black or white" sentence is a figure of speech also. I don't want you asking me if what I'm saying is that those who support the stealing are "black" AKA evil, and those who don't are "white" AKA good  undecided undecided Okay ooo, just putting up the disclaimer cos we could go round and round with this issue.
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by Acidosis(m): 11:08am On Jun 06, 2010
Report to the mgt!
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by silami(m): 12:51pm On Jun 06, 2010
By keeping quite ur guilty because you are in a position to prevent this from reoccurring, since you said this not the first time and for sure will not be the last one. By reporting him, there is a risk of him implicating you and probably even threatening you. there also the possibility of may be sharing some of the proceeds with the top management, this Nigeria its possible. But believe if don't open up u will continue to be a slave to your own conscience. My suggestion is, call him tell him you saw with evidence and give him two options of him returning what he stole and reporting himself to his superior officer or you will do that for him. if he refuses go ahead and report him. But that this may create enmity or even cause u ur job but believe you will be happier. tcare
Re: I Caught My Colleagues Stealing by MadMax1(f): 2:58pm On Jun 06, 2010
Why should you worry about his family when the man himself doesn't? If he did he wouldn't steal and risk getting caught and fired. Don't confront or 'warn' him. It puts you at unnecessary risk and you're not his conscience. Tip off the management anonymously. The rest is up to them.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Any Information On How To Apply For Trade Test / I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? / When Someone Impersonates You, Fakes & Works With Your Credentials ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.