Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,915 members, 7,814,086 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:22 AM

American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! (5841 Views)

American Lady Shuts Down Nigerian Women Advising Her Against Dating Nigerian Men / American Lady Reveals Why She Loves Dating Nigerian Men Over Her Countrymen(vid) / Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by Ariella25(f): 9:02pm On Jun 22, 2018
So this is going to be a long story but I have been dating this Nigerian man for awhile. At the beginning he was nice, attentive, communicative, giving etc and seemed like the ideal man. He’d always compliment me on how sweet and soft spoken I was too. The only thing that made me weary was his father was abusive towards his mother. I had recently been in an abusive relationship as well but he assured me he didn’t hit women bc of his mom. He was always praising her too. I was always told to look at how a man treats his mother so I felt like that attitude was good.

Not long after we had a very deep convo about abuse in relationships and he seemed to kind of take his fathers side saying it was her fault for staying and “some people are just weak while others are strong.” I told him I felt that was slightly insensitive and he just said “I wasn’t saying you’re weak, I’m just saying some people are.” So I just let it go. Sometimes he’d say how he hated women but shortly after he’d take it back.

But now he’s a completely different person. I don’t mind a little jealousy and control but everything has to be exactly how he wants it. Any time I interact with the opposite sex I feel like he punishes me. If I talk to his friends he calls them my “boyfriend” and says go be with them. He says how he can’t trust women because his father said women are the devil. If he flirts with another woman in my face and confront him he just tells me to stop speaking and says this is why he should go date a white girl bc they aren't hard headed (I’m mixed). When I don’t listen or he’s mad he’ll ignore me for a long time. And on top of that his mommas boy attitude changed. He will purposely ignore her calls. He’s let me listen to voicemails of her crying and he just laughs and deletes it. He flip flops between saying he loves her and calling her annoying/ a b*tch.

The thing is he is seemingly only like this with the females in the family and now me. Around other women he is charming and fun. When I brought this up in an argument he said it was because “he actually likes them but hates me.” Only to deny saying it a week later. I told him I’m tired and needed space but he grabbed my neck lightly and told me I’m not going anywhere. But now he’s back to ignoring me.

I hate to stereotype but my friend who is half Nigerian and also dated one for 7 years said it only gets worse and to watch out bc they can be abusive. But I feel like he's not like that he just gets annoyed with me. Is this typical Nigerian behavior? If I act better will he be nicer to me?

1 Like

Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by youngest85(m): 9:03pm On Jun 22, 2018
Come to the oza room lemme advice you
Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jun 22, 2018
Ariella25:
So this is going to be a long story but I have been dating this Nigerian man for awhile. At the beginning he was nice, attentive, communicative, giving etc and seemed like the ideal man. He’d always compliment me on how sweet and soft spoken I was too. The only thing that made me weary was his father was abusive towards his mother. I had recently been in an abusive relationship as well but he assured me he didn’t hit women bc of his mom. He was always praising her too. I was always told to look at how a man treats his mother so I felt like that attitude was good.

Not long after we had a very deep convo about abuse in relationships and he seemed to kind of take his fathers side saying it was her fault for staying and “some people are just weak while others are strong.” I told him I felt that was slightly insensitive and he just said “I wasn’t saying you’re weak, I’m just saying some people are.” So I just let it go. Sometimes he’d say how he hated women but shortly after he’d take it back.

But now he’s a completely different person. I don’t mind a little jealousy and control but everything has to be exactly how he wants it. Any time I interact with the opposite sex I feel like he punishes me. If I talk to his friends he calls them my “boyfriend” and says go be with them. He says how he can’t trust women because his father said women are the devil. If he flirts with another woman in my face and confront him he just tells me to stop speaking and says this is why he should go date a white girl bc they aren't hard headed (I’m mixed). When I don’t listen or he’s mad he’ll ignore me for a long time. And on top of that his mommas boy attitude changed. He will purposely ignore her calls. He’s let me listen to voicemails of her crying and he just laughs and deletes it. He flip flops between saying he loves her and calling her annoying/ a b*tch.

The thing is he is seemingly only like this with the females in the family and now me. Around other women he is charming and fun. When I brought this up in an argument he said it was because “he actually likes them but hates me.” Only to deny saying it a week later. I told him I’m tired and needed space but he grabbed my neck lightly and told me I’m not going anywhere. But now he’s back to ignoring me.

I hate to stereotype but my friend who is half Nigerian and also dated one for 7 years said it only gets worse and to watch out bc they can be abusive. But I feel like he's not like that he just gets annoyed with me. Is this typical Nigerian behavior? If I act better will he be nicer to me?

Your man has abusive tendencies.

Dump him before you it gets worse.

You'll find a better man. And this is no Nigerian trait. It's just an individual trait and coincidented with your friend's.

I repeat; dump him whilst you can.

20 Likes

Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by ghettochild4u(m): 9:17pm On Jun 22, 2018
Ariella25:

Better run for ur life..
you see the signs yet u asking questions here
Better end it...
stereotyping or not.....
the narrative here shows his a potential yet to be abusive partner.. Inshort he already is..
cos hes been verbally abusing u n slightly holding ur neck roughly
leave this boy alone
cos d day he would beat u up.. don't go calling d police so he gets deported...
Trump is vexing right now..
any lil crime by africans
u re on d next plane back to this shitholes
do him a favour
please dear American girl, End the relationship oooo

10 Likes

Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jun 22, 2018
what the name of this movie tongue
Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by ibkayee(f): 9:31pm On Jun 22, 2018
He's been modelled/influenced by his environment and has normalised his dad's behaviour. You should leave the relationship, he's exhibiting abusive and misogynistic tendencies, he also sounds unstable. Leave, leave and leave.

8 Likes

Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by iRepNaija1: 9:36pm On Jun 22, 2018
Ariella25:

First Bold: This way his way getting your guard done and making you vulnerable, attached him, and cloud your judgment.
Second Bold: This was the first red flag
Third Bold: This was the second red flag
Forth Bold: This was the third red flag (and a dámning one to boot)
Fifth Bold: This is the fourth red flag and the final one you need but just in case...
Sixth Bold: Fifth red flag. He's gaslighting you.
Seventh Bold: Sixth red flag. No one should EVER put their hands on you. He committed assault.

You know what's going on. Otherwise, you wouldn't be here asking a bunch of strangers on the internet for advice. It's difficult to date with a clear head but you need to keep your wits about you so you don't excuse, rationalize or explain away scary and problematic behavior. You need to leave this man. Block his number. Remove him from your life immediately and keep in contact with your friends/family so they know your whereabouts. It's only going to get worse from here. P.S. This has nothing to do with him being Nigerian.

4 Likes

Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:38pm On Jun 22, 2018
Never judge a matter without hearing from the other party...

6 Likes

Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by iRepNaija1: 9:40pm On Jun 22, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

Kneegrow, stfu.

10 Likes

Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by Ariella25(f): 10:18pm On Jun 22, 2018
iRepNaija1:

First Bold: This way his way getting your guard done and making you vulnerable, attached him, and cloud your judgment.
Second Bold: This was the first red flag
Third Bold: This was the second red flag
Forth Bold: This was the third red flag (and a dámning one to boot)
Fifth Bold: This is the fourth red flag and the final one you need but just in case...
Sixth Bold: Fifth red flag. He's gaslighting you.
Seventh Bold: Sixth red flag. No one should EVER put their hands on you. He committed assault.

You know what's going on. Otherwise, you wouldn't be here asking a bunch of strangers on the internet for advice. It's difficult to date with a clear head but you need to keep your wits about you so you don't excuse, rationalize or explain away scary and problematic behavior. You need to leave this man. Block his number. Remove him from your life immediately and keep in contact with your friends/family so they know your whereabouts. It's only going to get worse from here. P.S. This has nothing to do with him being Nigerian.

Thank you for being so thorough. The only reason I posted on this site is because a lot of the times he will tell me that this is typical Nigerian/African/Caribbean behavior and that I need to date a white guy because that’s all that will want me. And that’s not what I want undecided
Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by Ariella25(f): 10:37pm On Jun 22, 2018
ibkayee:
He's been modelled/influenced by his environment and has normalised his dad's behaviour. You should leave the relationship, he's exhibiting abusive and misogynistic tendencies, he also sounds unstable. Leave, leave and leave.

I guess it’s just confusing bc on one hand he’ll reprimand what his father did and he’s only mean when I’m not listening or if I’m around the opposite sex. He is nice to other girls and other people in general. And when I listen to him he’s nice to me too.

1 Like

Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by Nobody: 12:34am On Jun 23, 2018
OP, you better run now while you can. There are too many glaring red signs from your post for me to start quoting! This man is abusive towards you right now and if you marry him it will only escalate. Please take a long walk away from him and don't look back.

3 Likes

Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by jaksmillioniar: 12:50am On Jun 23, 2018
JupiterGeekVII:
OP, you better run now while you can. There are too many glaring red signs from your post for me to start quoting! This man is abusive towards you right now and if you marry him it will only escalate. Please take a long walk away from him and don't look back.
u lack sence for sayin dat
Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by Nobody: 1:07am On Jun 23, 2018
No Nigerian born and bred man will call his mother b1tch. Your boyfriend is a black American man who has Nigerian parents. I bet he doesn't even have Nigerian passport and probably hasn't visited the country.

If you don't think the relationship is working, simply walk away. No matter the volume of advice you get here, the one you give yourself will suit you best.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by N0favors: 1:27am On Jun 23, 2018
CaptJeffry:
No Nigerian born and bred man will call his mother b1tch. Your boyfriend is a black American man who has Nigerian parents. I bet he doesn't even have Nigerian passport and probably hasn't visited the country.

If you don't think the relationship is working, simply walk away. No matter the volume of advice you get here, the one you give yourself will suit you best.
You probably haven't come across a certain childofdoom here on nairaland. He's run out of derogatory adjectives to use for his mum

2 Likes

Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by Nobody: 2:04am On Jun 23, 2018
jaksmillioniar:
u lack sence for sayin dat

I lack sence sense for telling the OP to walk away from an abusive relationship but you who can't even spell the word and who's insinuating that she should stay in it, is the one with sense? I understand you're an illiterate, so I will be gentle.

4 Likes

Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by Nobody: 2:39am On Jun 23, 2018
CaptJeffry:

It was not too long ago that a poster admitted to putting his hands on his mother. So, a Nigerian man being disrespectful can and does hapoen.

3 Likes

Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by Nobody: 2:48am On Jun 23, 2018
Ariella25:

I guess it’s just confusing bc on one hand he’ll reprimand what his father did and he’s only mean when I’m not listening or if I’m around the opposite sex. He is nice to other girls and other people in general. And when I listen to him he’s nice to me too.

My dear, that is what abusers do. They make you feel like you are deficient and that their behavior is normal. And because they are usually charmers, friends and family wont believe you are being abused.

A man treating you this way is acceptable bc he's Nigerian?? I dont understand the questions you are asking.
Bluntly, based on what you are saying, you are being emotionally abused. I would also like to say kindly that you might be giving off some vibe that is attracting abusive men to you. I believe you are American. There are domestic violence support groups in your city. Please find yourself at one. If I knew where you lived, I would come get you myself.

4 Likes

Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by Nobody: 3:52am On Jun 23, 2018
N0favors:
You probably haven't come across a certain childofdoom here on nairaland. He's run out of derogatory adjectives to use for his mum
Are you waiting to hear that he has been admitted in a psychiatric hospital before you believe he's sick. undecided

1 Like

Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by Nobody: 3:57am On Jun 23, 2018
Bsuedu:

It was not too long ago that a poster admitted to putting his hands on his mother. So, a Nigerian man being disrespectful can and does hapoen.
That boy is sick. His threads litter Nairaland and if you go through all of them, you'll understand he needs a doctor.
Every sane Nigerian man reveres his mother unlike an American who can insult him mom even without lighting a cigarette let alone smoking weed.

1 Like

Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by ndindiatu: 4:25am On Jun 23, 2018
Saviour22:
what the name of this movie tongue

U no well grin grin
Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by HeWrites(m): 4:30am On Jun 23, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

This is not a matter of hearing from other party.. Seems you don't read

"He grabbed my neck slightly and told me I’m not going anywhere."

He's an animal.

2 Likes

Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by hollandis(f): 5:15am On Jun 23, 2018
Arielle ,He talks to other women harshly
He tells you why he prefers white women
He insults his mum

And you are still with him ?

Yes stay with him only if you are dumb or desperate

And just so you know I don't like people who date others because of the colour of their skin .It is a big problem in America.This is why white should date white and black should date black .Well you are mixed you can either date white or black .But truth be told a white man will definitely act worse towards you

Anyway in my humble opinion ,leave him now ,before he does something harmful to you .I don't trust men who are terrible towards their mum

3 Likes

Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by hollandis(f): 5:17am On Jun 23, 2018
Bsuedu:

My dear, that is what abusers do. They make you feel like you are deficient and that their behavior is normal. And because they are usually charmers, friends and family wont believe you are being abused.

A man treating you this way is acceptable bc he's Nigerian?? I dont understand the questions you are asking.
Bluntly, based on what you are saying, you are being emotionally abused. I would also like to say kindly that you might be giving off some vibe that is attracting abusive men to you. I believe you are American. There are domestic violence support groups in your city. Please find yourself at one. If I knew where you lived, I would come get you myself

Come get you kwa
Instead of you to advise the lady ,you are wooing her
Typical Nigerian mentality
Taking advantage of vulnerable women

1 Like

Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by falcon01: 5:52am On Jun 23, 2018
This is a smart move earn their trust and attack grin
Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by hollandis(f): 6:19am On Jun 23, 2018
falcon01:
This is a smart move earn their trust and attack grin
You foolish?
Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by ednut1(m): 6:34am On Jun 23, 2018
undecided the OP knows what she has to do. But i can bet my balls she go stay, dont worry when he ties u up bdsm way and beat d crap out of u. We go dey here lol
Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by Nobody: 6:40am On Jun 23, 2018
hollandis:

[s]Come get you kwa
Instead of you to advise the lady ,you are wooing her
Typical Nigerian mentality
Taking advantage of vulnerable women[/s]
that person u quote is not a Nigerian but an American guess what? It's a lady. tongue

1 Like

Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by khiaa(f): 6:43am On Jun 23, 2018
My advice to you is to stay with him, he's a wonderful man who loves and adores you. He has fallen in love with you that is why he gets a little

annoyed and grabs you by your neck, he's just showing you his affection. As his love grows stronger you can look forward to the

wonderfull beatings he'll be issuing out to you regularly, remember what's love without a good sound beating every once in a while from the

man who loves you? The same respect that he gives to his mother he will give to you. It sounds like you have found yourself a gem, marry him

before another lucky lady snatches him from you. undecided

1 Like

Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by Nobody: 6:45am On Jun 23, 2018
ndindiatu:

U no well grin grin
am I grin? common we all know no Nigerian man will call his mum names, (except child of doom sad and we all know that he's mad,). I think the op is a trollllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by Nobody: 6:48am On Jun 23, 2018
khiaa:
My advice to you is to stay with him, he's a wonderful man who loves and adores you. He has fallen in love with you that is why he gets a little annoyed and grabs you by your neck, he's just showing you his affection. As his love gets stronger you can look forward to the wonderful beatings he'll be issuing out to you regularly, remember what's love without a good sound beating every once in a while? The same respect that he gives to his mother he will give to you. It sounds like you have found yourself a gem, marry him as soon as possible before another lucky lady snatches him from you. undecided
tell hollandis that the Bsuedu of a person is and African american lady. And PS. The op Is a troll tongue
Re: American Woman Dating Nigerian Man! Please Help!! by khiaa(f): 6:57am On Jun 23, 2018
Saviour22:
tell hollandis that the Bsuedu of a person is and African american lady. And PS. The op Is a troll tongue

I know the op is a troll that is why I gave the stupid advice. grin Who is hollandis? Bsuedu is AA and female.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Will U Miss Me? / Do You Still Want To Be In Love? / The Type Of Black Guys Women Like [PHOTO}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.