Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,913 members, 7,814,082 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? (1762 Views)

Is There Freewill In Heaven? / Welcome To NL Where You Get To See 80% Of Theist And Philosophers In Nigeria?lol / AI (alien Intelligence) And The Question Of God - How Atheist & Theist Are Right (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by johnydon22(m): 5:28pm On Jun 25, 2018
The concept of predetermination, destiny (God's will) nullifies the whole idea of freewill but unsurprisingly they are both used interchangeably by people who believe mostly in both.

Predetermination suggests that everything has already been mapped out and set up by God. What you will do tomorrow has already been determined by God, what will happen? What you will eat, who you will meet.

But freewill entails that these factors that falls within the purview of choice are not determined yet, it is up to you to make these choices.

But can these two concepts be used together?

It is logically impossible cus it will only create a paradox.

If it is already determined that you will eat beans tomorrow (and you can't escape this determination) then there really wasn't any choice in the first place since you can't do otherwise.

But if the concept of freewill holds true then it annihilates the necessity of predetermination or in other words the idea of everything being God's will.

My question then is, which exactly is it?

Do we have freewill or is everything already predetermined?

Both can't hold true.
Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by HardMirror(m): 5:38pm On Jun 25, 2018
Expect dishonest answers or total disregard for the question you are asking. Nairalanders are totally unimaginative, humdrum, wishywashy and unremarkable. Stvpid set of unintelligent beings. Yeah i said it!

1 Like

Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by sKeetz(m): 5:40pm On Jun 25, 2018
Its impossible to understand the things of the spirit with a carnal mind. You need the help of the Holy Spirit to understand these things.
Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by johnydon22(m): 5:54pm On Jun 25, 2018
sKeetz:
Its impossible to understand the things of the spirit with a carnal mind. You need the help. Holy Spirit to understand these things.

I'd like to assume answers won't fall into this category

1 Like

Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by HardMirror(m): 6:15pm On Jun 25, 2018
johnydon22:

I'd like to assume answers won't fall into this category
keep assuming. Now i begin to appreciate dalaman's approach to religious matters. Rule number one: know you are dealing with dishonest id!ots

1 Like

Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by johnydon22(m): 6:17pm On Jun 25, 2018
HardMirror:
keep assuming. Now i begin to appreciate dalaman's approach to religious matters. Rule number one: know you are dealing with dishonest id!ots

I was referring to that particular kind of approach not dishonest arguments in general.
Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by HardMirror(m): 6:52pm On Jun 25, 2018
johnydon22:

I was referring to that particular kind of approach not dishonest arguments in general.
bro all the best. I have said my own.
Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by CAPSLOCKED: 7:25pm On Jun 25, 2018
johnydon22:
The concept of predetermination, destiny (God's will) nullifies the whole idea of freewill but unsurprisingly they are both used interchangeably by people who believe mostly in both.

Predetermination suggests that everything has already been mapped out and set up by God. What you will do tomorrow has already been determined by God, what will happen? What you will eat, who you will meet.

But freewill entails that these factors that falls within the purview of choice are not determined yet, it is up to you to make these choices.

If it is already determined that you will eat beans tomorrow (and you can't escape this determination) then there really wasn't any choice in the first place since you can't do otherwise.

But if the concept of freewill holds true then it annihilates the necessity of predetermination or in other words the idea of everything being God's will.

Both can't hold true.

HardMirror:
Expect dishonest answers or total disregard for the question you are asking. Nairalanders are totally unimaginative, humdrum, wishywashy and unremarkable. Stvpid set of unintelligent beings. Yeah i said it!

IN ORDER TO REMAIN RELIGIOUS, ONE MUST WORK EXTREMELY HARD TO BE AS GULLIBLE, UNINTELLIGENT, DISHONEST, AND CLOSE-MINDED AS POSSIBLE.

THE MOMENT YOU OPEN UP YOUR MIND AND ALLOW SENSE ENTER, MY BROTHER, RELIGION BECOMES WHAT IT TRULY IS.

A JOKE.... AND THE DEADLIEST WEAPON EVER INVENTED.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by johnydon22(m): 7:28pm On Jun 25, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

IN ORDER TO REMAIN RELIGIOUS, ONE MUST WORK EXTREMELY HARD TO BE AS GULLIBLE, UNINTELLIGENT, DISHONEST, AND CLOSE-MINDED AS POSSIBLE.

THE MOMENT YOU OPEN UP YOUR MIND AND ALLOW SENSE ENTER, MY BROTHER, RELIGION BECOMES WHAT IT TRULY IS.

A JOKE.
I try to avoid making remarks such as this because it is an oversimplification to me.

2 Likes

Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by Emusan(m): 8:03pm On Jun 25, 2018
Let me point out a misconception here!
People haven't grabbed the attribute of God Omni-science so well.

God knows what will happen tomorrow is different from God has designed what will happen tomorrow.

The latter means man is still like a ROBOT

How man will live his life from start to finish wasn't designed by God but God knows how man will run it from start to finish, God only created man with individual ability to live life from start to finish.

So the misconception arises when we substitute our inbuilt drive that makes us who we are for a Robotic view (destiny or predetermination)

I'll shield more light later

Predetermination though happened on exceptional cases if God wants to intervene

2 Likes

Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by Butterflyleo: 8:08pm On Jun 25, 2018
Emusan:

God knows what will happen tomorrow is different from God has designed what will happen tomorrow.

How man will live his life from start to finish wasn't designed by God but God knows how man will run it from start to finish, God only created man with individual ability to live life from start to finish.

So the misconception arises when we substitute our inbuilt drive that makes us who we are for a Robotic view (destiny or predetermination)

Kindly ignore the guy. On another thread he is urging atheists to ignore theists while here he is soliciting for the response from theists.

They are all mischievous and opening threads not so they can learn but so they can ridicule.

You can see what his fellow atheists are already saying above.

You would do well to let him stew in his own confusion and torment.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by Butterflyleo: 8:10pm On Jun 25, 2018
sKeetz:
Its impossible to understand the things of the spirit with a carnal mind. You need the help of the Holy Spirit to understand these things.

Ignore this thread bro.

All atheists seek is to ridicule and not to learn. No matter how nice they seem or how innocent they say their intentions might be, its all a facade.

Let them talk among themselves and see how they like it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by Gggg102(m): 8:13pm On Jun 25, 2018
Butterflyleo:

Ignore this thread bro.

All atheists seek is to ridicule and not to learn. No matter how nice they seem or how innocent they say their intentions might be, its all a facade.

that guy was trying to be sarcastic.

he's an atheist BTW.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by Butterflyleo: 8:16pm On Jun 25, 2018
Gggg102:

that guy was trying to be sarcastic.

he's an atheist BTW.

I do not care. Others will read and adhere.

When an atheist opens a thread so his gang can rush in and call theists DISHONEST IDIÖTS and GULLIBLE, UNINTELLIGENT, DISHONEST, AND CLOSE-MINDED then the mindset is clear for all theists to behold.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by johnydon22(m): 8:20pm On Jun 25, 2018
Emusan:

1. I understand the concept of foreknowledge and predetermination.

the post was based on the latter and not the former.

There is no misconception only the one you invented by pulling out foreknowledge as an intended premise of the thread which in fact is not the subject the thread is based on.

So if you do not know the difference between foreknowledge and predetermination, i do.

So please stop the strawman, if you want to address the post based on the premise it presents go ahead and do so. But employing a different premise that in no way mentioned in the post is absurd.

I hope it is clear now.

The premise of this post is predetermination (God's will) as believed by many people not foreknowledge.

And the thread was more like a question.

Which calls for very simple answer like picking the one you think apply not pulling out strawman from heaven knows where.
Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by HardMirror(m): 9:47pm On Jun 25, 2018
johnydon22:
I try to avoid making remarks such as this because it is an oversimplification to me.
how did that go with anas abi na anus your friend? You cant reason with idiots.
Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by sKeetz(m): 9:50pm On Jun 25, 2018
Butterflyleo:

Ignore this thread bro.

Thats sarcasm, son. You missed it, flew right past your head, didn't it?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by Butterflyleo: 9:52pm On Jun 25, 2018
sKeetz:

Thats sarcasm, son. You missed it, flew right past your head, didn't it?

Sarcasm, marcasm, darcasm, who cares?

My message has been passed.

1 Like

Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by johnydon22(m): 9:59pm On Jun 25, 2018
HardMirror:
how did that go with anas abi na anus your friend? You cant reason with idiots.
I hate to play a clear antagonism because of religious argument. (I used to years ago but now i do not really think it's necessary) if someone always hits below the bar and i think he/she is an idiot i simply ignore.

Anas on the other hand has always been too serious with her religious beliefs, she once told me it was her mission (Given by God) to convert me. She probably have abandoned this.

I understand how serious she takes her beliefs and therefore understand that overwhelming burst of emotion direct antagonism of her beliefs always awakes in her and due to our friendship, my mental health and healthy practice argument i tend to avoid this.

Other lots however that i feel are simply idioti_c (there are few who have earned this distinction here) i simply ignore them. I have been on this board long enough to pay attention to idiotic trolls.

on the other, religious people who happen to want to argue or discuss normally i am always more than happy to oblige. There are few of these lot like dorox, very intelligent and sound fellow who argues objectively, disagrees without insults and always argues based on the presented premise of argument.

1 Like

Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by dalaman: 10:04pm On Jun 25, 2018
Butterflyleo:

Ignore this thread bro.

Learn what exactly? You think if your God truly exist as advertised you'll be the one to teach anybody anything about it? Only a God that exist in your deluded imaginations will rely on you or anybody to teach people anything about it. A God that is said to WANT people to know him and be in a personal relationship with him will do all his bidding himself. An idea that wants humans to to propagate it will rely solely on humans to do it. You have nothing to teach anybody apart from your delusions. Keep wallowing in it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by HardMirror(m): 10:23pm On Jun 25, 2018
johnydon22:
I hate to play a clear antagonism because of religious argument. (I used to years ago but now i do not really think it's necessary) if someone always hits below the bar and i think he/she is an idiot i simply ignore.

Anas on the other hand has always been too serious with her religious beliefs, she once told me it was her mission (Given by God) to convert me. She probably have abandoned this.

I understand how serious she takes her beliefs and therefore understand that overwhelming burst of emotion direct antagonism of her beliefs always awakes in her and due to our friendship, my mental health and healthy practice argument i tend to avoid this.

Other lots however that i feel are simply idioti_c (their are few who have earned this distinction here) i simply ignore them. I have been on this board long ago to pay attention to idioti_t trolls.

on the other, religious people who happen to want to argue or discuss normally i am always more than happy to oblige. There are few of these lot like dorox, very intelligent and sound fellow who argues objectively, disagrees without insults and always argues based on the presented premise of argument.
john i set out on nairaland to reason with people, to share views, but over time i realize these set of people are nothing but scum! Lets not drag this issue. I wish you the best. I am sure of one thing anyway, this thread wld end up with idiotic replies as usual. All the best once again
Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by HardMirror(m): 10:24pm On Jun 25, 2018
dalaman:

Learn what exactly? You think if your God truly exist as advertised you'll be the one to teach anybody anything about it? Only a God that exist in your deluded imaginations will rely on your or anybody to teach people anything about it. A God that is said to WANT people to know him and be in a personal relationship with him will do all his biddingstuff himself. An idea that wants humans to to propagate it will rely solely on humans to do it. You have nothing to teach anybody apart from your delusions. Keep wallowing in it.
help me ask the clown o.
Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by dalaman: 10:28pm On Jun 25, 2018
HardMirror:
help me ask the clown o.

The deluded clowns was telling an atheist that Jesus loves him endlessly, so Jesus love someone endlessly but it is the resident clown butterflyleo that is telling the person. grin

These clowns don't think through the nonsense they say before spewing them.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by Butterflyleo: 10:45pm On Jun 25, 2018
All THEISTS I hope you can read the above and see how right I was when I said that all the atheists wish to do is ridicule you and all you stand for when they open threads such as this.

NO MATTER HOW INNOCENT THEY TRY TO SOUND OR HOW THEY PLEAD AND TRY TO EXPLAIN, DO NOT FALL FOR THEIR GIMMICK.

Their true colours will always be revealed as seen above.

Using myself as the scapegoat here has proven this very easily on this thread.

They will insult, mock, heckle and brand you all sorts of names.

Ignore them and engage in more useful things such as further ignoring them

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by johnydon22(m): 10:53pm On Jun 25, 2018
LOL
Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by johnydon22(m): 10:54pm On Jun 25, 2018
HardMirror:
john i set out on nairaland to reason with people, to share views, but over time i realize these set of people are nothing but scum! Lets not drag this issue. I wish you the best. I am sure of one thing anyway, this thread wld end up with idiotic replies as usual. All the best once again

There is a lot of direct antagonism on this board. People take these things way too personal in my opinion.
Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by dalaman: 10:58pm On Jun 25, 2018
Butterflyleo:
All THEISTS I hope you can read the above and see how right I was when I said that all the atheists wish to do is ridicule you and all you stand for when they open threads such as this.

NO MATTER HOW INNOCENT THEY TRY TO SOUND OR HOW THEY PLEAD AND TRY TO EXPLAIN, DO NOT FALL FOR THEIR GIMMICK.

Their true colours will always be revealed as seen above.

Using myself as the scapegoat here has proven this very easily on this thread.

They will insult, mock, heckle and brand you all sorts of names.

Ignore them and engage in more useful things such as further ignoring them

You are so delusional that you imagine yourself as the spokesperson for the alleged creator of the universe whom you claim has a penisss because you said the creator of the universe is a he and you expect not to be told the truth that you are deluded abi? Well done. Continue.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by tintingz(m): 7:57am On Jun 26, 2018
Emusan:

Wether God foreknows people's tommorow or wether he design people's tommorow still fall under same category, reason because the moment an external agent/entity knows your beginning to end beforehand he/she can simply write down every single thing about your life, every choice you will make before you even think of it.

Now imagine you close your eyes and God reveal all your actions from beginning to end or let's say he revealed it in a book, would you still feel you have choice/freewill?

If God foreknows Satan will rebel, why can't he change it, it's either God is impotent(can't lift the stone he created) or has predestined it or doesn't exist.

1 Like

Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by bloodofthelamb(m): 10:23am On Jun 26, 2018
Not every thing been done on earth today is God's will. Jesus thought us to pray that the perfect will of the Father will be done on earth as it is done in heaven.

Look at Jesus and all that he did while in the world, that is the perfect will of the Creator.

1 Like

Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by Gggg102(m): 10:27am On Jun 26, 2018
I think butterflyleo is right. most atheist threads created nowadays follow the same pattern.
when topic is created(especially the ones calling on theists for an argument) the first people to comment are atheists and they only mock the belief of the theist. every topic is reduced to mockery on the first page. no theist show up. the purpose of the thread is defeated.

this thread would have made an interesting argument but it won't because the same thing has happened here.

the section is becoming boring.

3 Likes

Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by johnydon22(m): 12:02pm On Jun 26, 2018
Gggg102:
I think butterflyleo is right. most atheist threads created nowadays follow the same pattern.
when topic is created(especially the ones calling on theists for an argument) the first people to comment are atheists and they only mock the belief of the theist. every topic is reduced to mockery on the first page. no theist show up. the purpose of the thread is defeated.

this thread would have made an interesting argument but it won't because the same thing has happened here.

the section is becoming boring.

The quality of threads and arguments here have drastically diminished. Most people here take these things personal and we end up having a charade of personal banters and insults
Re: Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? by dorox(m): 1:06pm On Jul 02, 2018
johnydon22:

Both can't hold true.

Free will it is for me.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Purpose Of Creation? / Is It Right For A Chisten To Have More Then One Wife? / What Do You Really Know About The Bible? Take The Quiz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.