Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,740 members, 7,813,430 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:14 PM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (244355 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:21am On Jan 31, 2011
lol

not a damn thing.

I'm stunned that this guy is still at it.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 8:26pm On Jan 31, 2011
IKA HAVE BOTH IGBO AND BINI NAMES ,SO GET IT, EXAMPLES ARE NDUKA IRABOR ,AND NDUKA OBAIGBENA ,THIS ARE BOTH FAMOUS IKA MEN FROM OWA KINGDOM AND THEY HAVE BOTH IGBO AND BINI NAMES,BUT THE BINI NAME IS THEIR FAMILY NAME .
MGBEJUME -MEANS ONE TREE CANNOT FORM A FOREST OR ONE MAN CANNOT FORM A QUORUM, IT IS AN IKA IDIOMATIC EXPRESSION .MY FAMILY NAME IS OMIGIE,MY GRAND FATHER IS MGBEJUME-OMIGIE, HIS OWN FATHER WAS IGBUDU,-OMIGIE, HIS FATHER WAS OVWIAGBON-OMIGIE,WHOSE FATHER WAS OSAHON ,WHOSE FATHER WAS IMADE ,WE CAN GO ON AND ON ,WE TRACE OUR FAMILY HISTORY TO THE EARLY THIRTTENTH CENTURY ,AS DESCENDANTS OF OBI IGBEGIDI NO GIDIGAN -THE SECOND KING OF OWA KINGDOM,WHO FOUNDED IDUMU-EZOMOR VILLAGE.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 10:07pm On Jan 31, 2011
agbotaen:

IKA HAVE BOTH IGBO AND BINI NAMES ,SO GET IT, EXAMPLES ARE NDUKA IRABOR ,AND NDUKA OBAIGBENA ,THIS ARE BOTH FAMOUS IKA MEN FROM OWA KINGDOM AND THEY HAVE BOTH IGBO AND BINI NAMES,BUT THE BINI NAME IS THEIR FAMILY NAME .
MGBEJUME -MEANS ONE TREE CANNOT FORM A FOREST OR ONE MAN CANNOT FORM A QUORUM, IT IS AN IKA IDIOMATIC EXPRESSION .[s]MY FAMILY NAME IS OMIGIE,MY GRAND FATHER IS MGBEJUME-OMIGIE, HIS OWN FATHER WAS IGBUDU,-OMIGIE, HIS FATHER WAS OVWIAGBON-OMIGIE,WHOSE FATHER WAS OSAHON ,WHOSE FATHER WAS IMADE ,WE CAN GO ON AND ON ,WE TRACE OUR FAMILY HISTORY TO THE EARLY THIRTTENTH CENTURY ,AS DESCENDANTS OF OBI IGBEGIDI NO GIDIGAN -THE SECOND KING OF OWA KINGDOM,WHO FOUNDED IDUMU-EZOMOR VILLAGE.[/s]

What does Benjamin Ikechuku mean in Edo?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 10:11pm On Jan 31, 2011
agbotaen,

Why is Igwe Obi Efeziomor betraying his Edo ancestors with his dressing?

[center][/center]
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 10:13pm On Jan 31, 2011
agbotaen:

MGBEJUME -MEANS ONE TREE CANNOT FORM A FOREST OR ONE MAN CANNOT FORM A QUORUM, IT IS AN IKA IDIOMATIC EXPRESSION .[s]MY FAMILY NAME IS OMIGIE,MY GRAND FATHER IS MGBEJUME-OMIGIE, HIS OWN FATHER WAS IGBUDU,-OMIGIE, HIS FATHER WAS OVWIAGBON-OMIGIE,WHOSE FATHER WAS OSAHON ,WHOSE FATHER WAS IMADE ,WE CAN GO ON AND ON ,WE TRACE OUR FAMILY HISTORY TO THE EARLY THIRTTENTH CENTURY ,AS DESCENDANTS OF OBI IGBEGIDI NO GIDIGAN -THE SECOND KING OF OWA KINGDOM,WHO FOUNDED IDUMU-EZOMOR VILLAGE.[/s]

Why does almost every prominent ruler in Anioma have a strong IGBO (last) name?

http://www.ofaac.org/life/personalities.php
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 10:14pm On Jan 31, 2011
[size=18pt]HRH Obi Ezeagwu Ezeawali 1 (JSP)[/size]

[size=18pt]The Obi of Umunede[/size]

Chilekay! shocked
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 10:21pm On Jan 31, 2011
HRH Obi Henry Afamefune Kikachukwu

The Obi of Ubulu Unor

I think I remember these were Erediuwa the Greats middle names, am I correct?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 10:24pm On Jan 31, 2011
HRH Obi Emmanuel Okonkwo Offor

The Obi of Adonte

Why are Anioma people answering Offor? Does it mean that they have, and still have the offor rituals? Even in Agbor?

By the way, the answer is yes.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 10:28pm On Jan 31, 2011
agbotaen:

[center][/center]

Why is the Anioma cultural website image filled with men with red caps and two Igbo (Enugwu) looking masquerades? embarassed
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 10:31pm On Jan 31, 2011
agbotaen:

Anioma, meaning The Good Land, is one of the most peaceful and dynamic regions in Nigeria, located strategically from the serene banks of River Niger to the inland stretching to Agbor.

Why does Anioma, the name and therefore soul of the Anioma people, mean the same thing in Igbo? embarassed
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 10:33pm On Jan 31, 2011
agbotaen:

MGBEJUME -MEANS ONE TREE CANNOT FORM A FOREST OR ONE MAN CANNOT FORM A QUORUM, IT IS AN IKA IDIOMATIC EXPRESSION .[s]MY FAMILY NAME IS OMIGIE,MY GRAND FATHER IS MGBEJUME-OMIGIE, HIS OWN FATHER WAS IGBUDU,-OMIGIE, HIS FATHER WAS OVWIAGBON-OMIGIE,WHOSE FATHER WAS OSAHON ,WHOSE FATHER WAS IMADE ,WE CAN GO  ON AND ON ,WE TRACE OUR FAMILY HISTORY TO THE EARLY THIRTTENTH CENTURY ,AS DESCENDANTS OF OBI IGBEGIDI NO GIDIGAN -THE SECOND KING OF OWA KINGDOM,WHO FOUNDED IDUMU-EZOMOR VILLAGE.[/s]

[center][/center]

Why are Anioma people dressed like Nri-Awka (Anambra) people?

http://www.ofaac.org/festival/index.php
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 10:38pm On Jan 31, 2011
agbotaen:

Why does the Anioma cultural website theme music sound like central Igbo, and the rhythm sound like Osadebe?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 10:43pm On Jan 31, 2011
agbotaen:

MGBEJUME -MEANS ONE TREE CANNOT FORM A FOREST OR ONE MAN CANNOT FORM A QUORUM, IT IS AN IKA IDIOMATIC EXPRESSION .MY FAMILY NAME IS OMIGIE,MY GRAND FATHER IS MGBEJUME-OMIGIE, HIS OWN FATHER WAS IGBUDU,-OMIGIE, HIS FATHER WAS OVWIAGBON-OMIGIE,WHOSE FATHER WAS OSAHON ,WHOSE FATHER WAS IMADE ,WE CAN GO  ON AND ON ,WE TRACE OUR FAMILY HISTORY TO THE EARLY THIRTTENTH CENTURY ,AS DESCENDANTS OF OBI IGBEGIDI NO GIDIGAN -THE SECOND KING OF OWA KINGDOM,WHO FOUNDED IDUMU-EZOMOR VILLAGE.

Why do most European books of old dealing with Igbo people study the Nri-Awka and Anioma before even the people of Imo and Abia?

Why did this young man of Ubulu Ukwu not correct the writer when he wanted to add his face in a book about the Igbo people? If it is down to language barrier, then how was the writer able to get words for things from these peoples language? Why didn't he once write 'Anioma' in his book?

[center][img]http://3.bp..com/_jeBv7EEofYQ/TMBsba0Xw4I/AAAAAAAAALI/BJXyVNUmg1Y/s1600/Young+man+of+ubuluku+II.jpg[/img][/center]
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 10:48pm On Jan 31, 2011
agbotaen:

MGBEJUME -MEANS ONE TREE CANNOT FORM A FOREST OR ONE MAN CANNOT FORM A QUORUM, IT IS AN IKA IDIOMATIC EXPRESSION .MY FAMILY NAME IS OMIGIE,MY GRAND FATHER IS MGBEJUME-OMIGIE, HIS OWN FATHER WAS IGBUDU,-OMIGIE, HIS FATHER WAS OVWIAGBON-OMIGIE,WHOSE FATHER WAS OSAHON ,WHOSE FATHER WAS IMADE ,WE CAN GO  ON AND ON ,WE TRACE OUR FAMILY HISTORY TO THE EARLY THIRTTENTH CENTURY ,AS DESCENDANTS OF OBI IGBEGIDI NO GIDIGAN -THE SECOND KING OF OWA KINGDOM,WHO FOUNDED IDUMU-EZOMOR VILLAGE.

Roots

* Olaudah Equinoh
    * Here is Ashaka Kingdom
    * Festivals of our Land

http://www.ofaac.org/essence/index.php

Why are Anioma people adding Olaudah Equiano as Anioma, although he said he was "Eboe under the rule of the king of Benin"? Why would an Anioma person call themselves "Eboe"?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Obiagu1(m): 11:08pm On Jan 31, 2011
This IRABOR and OBAIGBENA names.
Obaigbena is not wholly Bini, it's the same of Obaigbuna "Oba do not kill (this one)".

As for Irabor, I need to know the meaning to know if it has related Igbo meaning.
Sometimes dialect and spelling make it hard to interpret.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 12:43pm On Feb 01, 2011
agbotaen:

MGBEJUME -MEANS ONE TREE CANNOT FORM A FOREST OR ONE MAN CANNOT FORM A QUORUM, IT IS AN IKA IDIOMATIC EXPRESSION .MY FAMILY NAME IS OMIGIE,MY GRAND FATHER IS MGBEJUME-OMIGIE, HIS OWN FATHER WAS IGBUDU,-OMIGIE, HIS FATHER WAS OVWIAGBON-OMIGIE,WHOSE FATHER WAS OSAHON ,WHOSE FATHER WAS IMADE ,WE CAN GO ON AND ON ,WE TRACE OUR FAMILY HISTORY TO THE EARLY THIRTTENTH CENTURY ,AS DESCENDANTS OF OBI IGBEGIDI NO GIDIGAN -THE SECOND KING OF OWA KINGDOM,WHO FOUNDED IDUMU-EZOMOR VILLAGE.
Mr man stop chatting in capital letters, it is against forum rules.
I do not doubt your ancestry, my message is that you should remain whatever thing you wish to be, but leave Ika Igbo people alone. They are happy to be Igbo.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 5:10pm On Apr 05, 2011
PLEASE KINDLY CHECK THE NAMES OF PAST OBIS OF OWA AND THE PRESENT ONE AND TELL ME IF THEY ARE NOT BINI NAMES.
1. OKUNDAIYE.
2. ORHOGBUA
3. OZOLUA
4. EFEIZOMOR.
5. EWUARE.
6. EWODO,
7. IDIAHNA.
8. IGBEDIGI
9. IGBEOBA
10. ISEH.
11. EWOH

AND PLEASE CHECK THESE NAMES THEY BELONG TO OWA PEOPLE ,
1. OOJEIFO,
2.BUZUGBE
3. OSAGIE.
4.OKEJERE
5. OVWIABON
6. JEGBEFUME
7. OSAGIEDE
8. OMORODION,
9.IDIONMA
10. OBAYUWANA
11.OBASEKI
12. IHAMA
13. OZOMOR,
14 ,UGBOMO
15. EGBEKJIE
16.AGBASOGUN
17. OSAMUDIAMEN
18. OGBEMUDIA.
19,OROKONOGBE
20. OFUNMONGBE.
21 .IDEGBE
22. OMIGIE
23. OVIA.
24 , ISIBOR.

THESE ARE JUST SOME SUR NAMES OF OWA PEOPLE , ARE THEY STILL IGBO NAMES ? OWA PEOPLE BEAR BOTH IGBO AND BINI NAMES,SO DONT DENY ONE FOR THE OTHER ,I KNOW WHATEVER I WRITE THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOME ONE WHO IS READY TO TWIST IT INTO IGBO,BUT THE TRUTH IS WE OWA AND IKA PEOPLE ARE VERY PROUD OF OUR ANCESTORY AND THAT INCLUDES OUR CORE ANCESTORS MIGRATION FROMTHE ROYAL HOUSE OF BENIN.BUT WE ALSO ACKNOWLEDGE OUR IGBO HERITAGE TOO,BUT WE ARE PURELY IKA ETHNIC GROUP, IN 1936,WHEN THE BINIS DECIDED TO TELL THE BRITISH THAT IKA WAS PART OF BINI ,OUR ELDERS TOLD THE BRITISH THAT WE ARE IKAS AND WE ARE DIFFERENT FROM ANY OTHER ETHNIC GROUP IN THE AREA OR IN NIGERIA.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AljUche: 5:20pm On Apr 05, 2011
agbotaen:

PLEASE KINDLY CHECK THE NAMES OF PAST OBIS OF OWA AND THE PRESENT ONE AND TELL ME IF THEY ARE NOT BINI NAMES.
1. OKUNDAIYE.
2. ORHOGBUA
3. OZOLUA
4. EFEIZOMOR.
5. EWUARE.
6. EWODO,
7. IDIAHNA.
8. IGBEDIGI
9. IGBEOBA
10. ISEH.
11. EWOH

AND PLEASE CHECK THESE NAMES THEY BELONG TO OWA PEOPLE ,
1. OOJEIFO,
2.BUZUGBE
3. OSAGIE.
4.OKEJERE
5. OVWIABON
6. JEGBEFUME
7. OSAGIEDE
8. OMORODION,
9.IDIONMA
10. OBAYUWANA
11.OBASEKI
12. IHAMA
13. OZOMOR,
14 ,UGBOMO
15. EGBEKJIE
16.AGBASOGUN
17. OSAMUDIAMEN
18. OGBEMUDIA.
19,OROKONOGBE
20. OFUNMONGBE.
21 .IDEGBE
22. OMIGIE
23. OVIA.
24 , ISIBOR.

THESE ARE JUST SOME SUR NAMES OF OWA PEOPLE , ARE THEY STILL IGBO NAMES ? OWA PEOPLE BEAR BOTH IGBO AND BINI NAMES,SO DONT DENY ONE FOR THE OTHER ,I KNOW WHATEVER I WRITE THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOME ONE WHO IS READY TO TWIST IT INTO IGBO,BUT THE TRUTH IS WE OWA AND IKA PEOPLE ARE VERY PROUD OF OUR ANCESTORY AND THAT INCLUDES OUR CORE ANCESTORS MIGRATION FROMTHE ROYAL HOUSE OF BENIN.BUT WE ALSO ACKNOWLEDGE OUR IGBO HERITAGE TOO,BUT WE ARE PURELY IKA ETHNIC GROUP, IN 1936,WHEN THE BINIS DECIDED TO TELL THE BRITISH THAT IKA WAS PART OF BINI ,OUR ELDERS TOLD THE BRITISH THAT WE ARE IKAS AND WE ARE DIFFERENT FROM ANY OTHER ETHNIC GROUP IN THE AREA OR IN NIGERIA.

and did you know that ika is considered as igbo in nigeria context today

so long as you bear igbo names like emeka, uche etc you are igbo whether you like it or not

if your name was like efok etc we would know u where from cross river or awka ibom but no

so long as you bear igbo names and speak their dialect, you are igbo ika is igbo

if you names where dapo etc then you are yoruba,.,.,., all this is easy to see

haba, if ika ikwerri and co are not igbo then they better start bearing other names that do not sound igbo if they know they want to deny their hertiage because if you do not see you are being bakclized then shame on you

you are igbo to me.ok
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:08pm On Apr 05, 2011
ezeagu:

[center][/center]

Why are Anioma people dressed like Nri-Awka (Anambra) people?

http://www.ofaac.org/festival/index.php

The red coral shirts/blouses actually look like those shirts Benin people have been wearing for hundreds of years, in my opinion. The rest of the clothing is Igbo, however.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 11:20am On Apr 06, 2011
I have just gone through this thread. I have met quite a number of Aniocha nay Delta Igbo guys during my school & NYSC days. One of them was my room-mate. The same old tales of being abandoned to the invading Nigerian forces during the Civil War, being damned at linking yourself with 'Igbo' in any profitable Govt. venture among others. While the first does not hold any water, the second case is among the major Challenges faced by an average Igboman in Nigeria, Delta Igbo not being an exception. My point here is that denying your kits and Kins on the other side of the Niger will NEVER And has NEVER solved any of your problems. It did not save you from the invading Nigerian forces, did not in securing positions, did not in giving you upper hand in the running of Delta affairs, the list goes on. What we need now is one voice to face our common enemy. Please Brethrens, come home. A leopard cannot remove it's spots while no amount of bathing and application of designer perfumes can remove the unique scent of a he-goat.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 10:56am On Apr 11, 2011
many igbo people still mistake anioma for the different ethnic group that inhabit delta north area , anioma was invented by dennis osadebe and other great men of delta north area ,it was invented 50 years ago ,and it was an  alliance of the four ethnic groups in old mid-west area the ika,ndokwa,osimili and aniocha. according to the founders these different tribes migrated fromdifferent places,some from edo,igbo, igala,yoruba and others , but because of inter-marriage ,wars and a long time of living together they exchanged culture and that is why they decided to come under the umberella of anioma,using the initials of these four ethnic groups. i am ika ,i am not igbo and never will there come a time when a proper ika man will say he is igbo. whatever people call us does not matter ,but what do we call our selves that is what matters and we call ourselves ika.ika is quite different from asaba or ogwashi or ibusa . in anioma there are some who  claim igbo ancestory , while others claim yoruba or igala ,we are ika people ,we claim and know our core founders were bini, and later others like the igbo came,and we are mindful of our heritage .this will always inform ika  stance on national issues ,we did this during the critical civil war and took a position , our communities did not support biafra and will never do  that ,and we have clearly avoided being in any igbo ethnic group ,we are not members of ohaneze ndi igbo ,because we know our ancestory,while there are communities in anioma whose stock is purely from igbo ,they have identified themselves with them.
    in  1936, J.M. SIMPSON,THE ASSISTANT DISTRICT OFFICER FOR AGBOR AREA HAD THIS TO SAY IN HIS INTELLIGENCE REPORT,THAT IKA NEVER SUBMITTED TO THE BINI EMPIRE FOR LONG ,AND THAT WAS WHY IKA WAS CONSTANTLY AT WAR WITH BINI, ALSO JACOB EGHAREVBA THE BINI HISTORIAN ALSO SAID THE IKA PEOPLE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN REBELLIOUS,THE REASON IS THAT THE IKA PEOPLE ALWAYS WHO WHO THEY ARE ALWAYS . BUT THOSE WHO WANT TO LIVE IN A MAKE BELIEVE WORLD THAT IKA PEOPLE ARE IGBO SHOULD CONTINUE TO DO THAT ,BUT WHEN IT IS TIME TO TAKE CRITICAL POSITION ,THE IKA PEOPLE WILL DISAPPOINT THEM.

1. I HAVE PUT THE PICTURE OF THE OBI OF OWA ,DURING HIS CORONATION IN THE 1950,S , PLEASE CHECK THE TRADITIONAL REGALIA OF THE OBI ,  it is clearly a bini attire, .and the other pictures show ,some of his traditional attires ,unlike what some people want us to believe,the obi of owa has his traditional attires ,but just like any human being he can also put on any other clothes including a jeans or short nicker if he wants ,but that does not formhis official clothings ,i even have the obi of owa in a fulani king outfit ,which he wore when he visited the sultan of sokoto.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 2:55pm On Apr 11, 2011
@agbotaen/Omojie.

If you have respect for the Obi of Owa,then stop calling him a liar.

He wrote in his book that Owa is of Nri origin and Owa Kingship is Nri based and not Bini.Even Bini might possibly have Nri influence.The Igua festival is of Nri origin.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:13pm On Apr 11, 2011
Abagworo:

@agbotaen/Omojie.

If you have respect for the Obi of Owa,then stop calling him a liar.

He wrote in his book that Owa is of Nri origin and Owa Kingship is Nri based and not Bini.Even Bini might possibly have Nri influence.The Igua festival is of Nri origin.

How much do you know about the Igue festival? (As it was originally practiced) Do you know what it's about? Or are you just making stuff up? If you knew what it was for, I doubt you'd have made this claim.

Benin had a lot of influences, but there's no need to just make up stuff. If you had said the cult of the hand practiced in Benin was from Nri or something, it might have made sense and would be plausible, but Igue festival is not from Nri.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:23pm On Apr 11, 2011
agbotaen:

many igbo people still mistake anioma for the different ethnic group that inhabit delta north area , anioma was invented by dennis osadebe and other great men of delta north area ,it was invented 50 years ago ,and it was an  alliance of the four ethnic groups in old mid-west area the ika,ndokwa,osimili and aniocha. according to the founders these different tribes migrated fromdifferent places,some from edo,igbo, igala,yoruba and others , but because of inter-marriage ,wars and a long time of living together they exchanged culture and that is why they decided to come under the umberella of anioma,using the initials of these four ethnic groups. i am ika ,i am not igbo and never will there come a time when a proper ika man will say he is igbo. whatever people call us does not matter ,but what do we call our selves that is what matters and we call ourselves ika.ika is quite different from asaba or ogwashi or ibusa . in anioma there are some who  claim igbo ancestory , while others claim yoruba or igala ,we are ika people ,we claim and know our core founders were bini, and later others like the igbo came,and we are mindful of our heritage .this will always inform ika  stance on national issues ,we did this during the critical civil war and took a position , our communities did not support biafra and will never do  that ,and we have clearly avoided being in any igbo ethnic group ,we are not members of ohaneze ndi igbo ,because we know our ancestory,while there are communities in anioma whose stock is purely from igbo ,they have identified themselves with them.
    in  1936, J.M. SIMPSON,THE ASSISTANT DISTRICT OFFICER FOR AGBOR AREA HAD THIS TO SAY IN HIS INTELLIGENCE REPORT,THAT IKA NEVER SUBMITTED TO THE BINI EMPIRE FOR LONG ,AND THAT WAS WHY IKA WAS CONSTANTLY AT WAR WITH BINI, ALSO JACOB EGHAREVBA THE BINI HISTORIAN ALSO SAID THE IKA PEOPLE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN REBELLIOUS,THE REASON IS THAT THE IKA PEOPLE ALWAYS WHO WHO THEY ARE ALWAYS . BUT THOSE WHO WANT TO LIVE IN A MAKE BELIEVE WORLD THAT IKA PEOPLE ARE IGBO SHOULD CONTINUE TO DO THAT ,BUT WHEN IT IS TIME TO TAKE CRITICAL POSITION ,THE IKA PEOPLE WILL DISAPPOINT THEM.

1. I HAVE PUT THE PICTURE OF THE OBI OF OWA ,DURING HIS CORONATION IN THE 1950,S , PLEASE CHECK THE TRADITIONAL REGALIA OF THE OBI ,  it is clearly a bini attire, .and the other pictures show ,some of his traditional attires ,unlike what some people want us to believe,the obi of owa has his traditional attires ,but just like any human being he can also put on any other clothes including a jeans or short nicker if he wants ,but that does not formhis official clothings ,i even have the obi of owa in a fulani king outfit ,which he wore when he visited the sultan of sokoto.

Why not just say Ikas are Igbo with Benin influence?

Why try to make them into a distinct group without an ethnicity?

Don't get me wrong, it's possible for distinct ethnic groups to share a lot of things in common with those around them, but in the case of the Ika, there's evidence on the ground pointing to them being Igbos. Why deny it?

As for Jacob Egharevba and Agbor:

"Egharevba's Short History is a book that touches on the history of
several peoples of south-central Nigeria, hence its thesis has been of
much interest to students of the history of this area, including non-
Edo speaking peoples. One such people is the Ika (Igbo) of Agbor.
The origin of kingship in Agbor and even the very name of the kingdom
are still areas of contention."

"This story of the origin of kingship in Agbor is omitted in subsequent
editions of Short History. Though in the second edition he indicates
in a footnote that "the first Obi of Agbor was sent by Oba of
Benin,"59 he only makes reference to the Agbor rebellion during the
reign of Oba Ehengbuda in the third edition, and another reference
to the origin of the name Agbor in the fourth edition. This continued
diminution of the role of Benin in Agbor affairs might have been
prompted by the opposition of the Agbor Indigenes Association to
Egharevba's story after the publication of the first English edition of
Short History. This might be a problem of relying on the oral tradition of
other people in writing history without the necessary verification
."

- A Comparison of Jacob Egharevba's "Ekhere Vb Itan Edo" and the Four Editions of Its English
  Translation, "A Short History of Benin"
  Author(s): Uyilawa Usuanlele, Toyin Falola
  Source: History in Africa, Vol. 25 (1998), pp. 361-386

So what was the reason for the Agbor Indigenes Association objecting to Egharevba's story in 1936, if, as you claim, Ikas acknowledge a Benin origin? They clearly rejected it long before the 1950s.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 4:49pm On Apr 11, 2011
Why are people still replying this robot? Anybody who has been to Agbor or knows Ika people know that they call themselves ndi Igbo. They don't even seem to realise or acknowledge the amount of Benin influence they have and just think it's an Ika thing. Or were the British trying to make the Igbo larger by adding Agbor to them? Why did the Agbor people not disagree with being called Igbo for over 40 years of colonisation?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 4:55pm On Apr 11, 2011
ezeagu:

Why did the Agbor people not disagree  with being called Igbo for over 40 years of colonisation?
I guess, because back then, it really didn't make much of a practical difference, if any. Now though, it makes all the difference in the world. Oh, and I'm not talking particularly about Agbor people. I'm just saying, in general.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 5:09pm On Apr 11, 2011
Agbotaen, could you help us understand why you're still at this? This matter has since ended (at least, so I thought), so why continue?

PhysicsMHD:

Why not just say Ikas are Igbo with Benin influence?
Because that's just flat out oversimplification.

PhysicsMHD:

Why try to make them into a distinct group without an ethnicity?
How do you figure the "without an ethnicity" part?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 6:02pm On Apr 11, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I guess, because back then, it really didn't make much of a practical difference, if any. Now though, it makes all the difference in the world. Oh, and I'm not talking particularly about Agbor people. I'm just saying, in general.

I don't understand.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 6:30pm On Apr 11, 2011
Well, it would be my guess that back then, when the British were busy laying down that label, it was of no real consequence to those concerned. The label probably meant little to nothing to most people, back then, whereas now, whether or not someone chooses to wear it is of social or political consequence, one way or another. Basically, I'm just saying that I don't believe 'Igbo' people were all that concerned with this 'Igbo' identity topic back then. Now though, the mere mention of it (from both the orthodox & unorthodox camps) provokes argument discussion.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsMHD(m): 6:35pm On Apr 11, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Because that's just flat out oversimplification.

I'm not saying he should not take pride in his distinct Ika identity and only say he's Igbo.

How do you figure the "without an ethnicity" part?

It seems like that's what he's trying to do - say Ikas are only Ikas and not Igbos.

I don't see the difference between what he's saying and someone saying "Wodaabes are only Wodaabes and not Fulanis." It just makes no sense.

But this isn't my battle to fight anyways. I just hoped that as a non-Igbo outsider who won't be seen by him as being biased, I could bring him back to reason. I think I"ll just let him be.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 6:41pm On Apr 11, 2011
So, help me understand. Are you implying that Ika have to be Igbo, because to claim otherwise means to claim no ethnicity?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 6:53pm On Apr 11, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Well, it would be my guess that back then, when the British were busy laying down that label, it was of no real consequence to those concerned. The label probably meant little to nothing to most people, back then, whereas now, whether or not someone chooses to wear it is of social or political consequence, one way or another. Basically, I'm just saying that I don't believe 'Igbo' people were all that concerned with this 'Igbo' identity topic back then. Now though, the mere mention of it (from both the orthodox & unorthodox camps) provokes argument discussion.

It was a concern when the Onicha bible was being used in all churches around the Igbo area which made the churches look to a standard Igbo. It was a concern when the Ijaw nationalists in the 1800 were beating up people who spoke Ijaw with an Igbo accent. I don't understand how it couldn't have been a concern when the Western Igbo towns at that time were receiving large military control because of the fear of Ekumeku spreading, the focus was on towns singled our because they were Igbo, nearby Edo, or Urhobo town weren't looked at. So this would mean that the native people were uniting against a force that were the ones who gave them something to unite over?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.