Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,574 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (77) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (244624 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 11:46am On Apr 15, 2013
[b]https://www.nairaland.com/58455/ika-people-igbanke/4

According to your articles, one Ika community was founded by Ibo imigrants from Nri. the other by Oba's sons from Benin and today they speak the same Igboid language.. The title of our kings is Obi, an Ibo word, and the word Ali, prefix to the Bini word Ezomo as in Alizomo, found in both Ika communities, is Ibo. Question is: At what point did the Ibo imigrants overwhelm tbe Bini founders and foisted their languange on them? Also could the Ikas found in Benin towns like Owa & Iru not be captives of war?

V
No matter how hard some people(anti igbo) try to disassociate ikas as igbos the truth is still there for all to see.Good a thing not all ikas think otherwise!...I have read a lot of write ups and interviews from Dr Kunirum Osia whos is from igbo speaking part of delta state and i am like,WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS MAN??..all you could deduce from his works and interviews are totally ANTI IGBO!..To what gainis this suppose to be a divide and rule game?Why cant we retain our igbo identity?Even with the Anioma State we all want,some people still want to make Anioma a new ethnic group.What is really wrong with us?I need answers.

http://www.ikaworld.com/index.php?mod=comment&article=207

[/b]
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 11:48am On Apr 15, 2013
[center]
This is actually sad because (mind you I'm not saying they don't have Edo ancestry) the Edo people do not recognise the Ika and never have. They call the Ika 'Owe Igbo' which is a derogatory word for Igbo and especially Ika people. Saying that the Oba of Benin's recognition of the Obi of Agbor is proof that the Ika are Edo is a joke because that would mean that Elizabeth II is also Edo through the Oba of Benin's recognition of her.

It is also sad on another level that the Ika people push themselves on Edo people and clamor to be recognised as Edo when it was their very own Ika ancestors that fought long and hard against Edo domination, so much so that the great walls of Benin are said to have been built because of the Ika warriors.

I would understand an Ika identity based solely on being of Ika heritage and having Ika culture, but this isn't the case. It has come to a point that the Ika identity is about how more Edo it is and how less Igbo it is. Ika is not about being Ika anymore but about being less Igbo and more Edo which is sad because it confuses the kids and they have no idea what it is to be Ika or from a town like Agbor so they associate with neighbouring groups.[/center]
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 1:18pm On Apr 15, 2013
Re: Yoruba In Anioma - A Revealed Truth! by Andre Uweh(m): 11:12pm On Dec 17, 2012

HOW PEOPLE SEE AGBOTEAN

Until now, he does not believe in anything ANIOMA OR Delta Igbo. If an Anioma son is made a governor of Delta state today, he will not rejoice unless the man is from Ika.
He belives that there is no need for Anioma, but Ikas should be on their own.
He always praises people who fought agains Biafra as well as his praises for those who carried out the massacre of western Igbo people during the war. This is where he differs from his mentor-Kunirum Ossia.
The man is a disgrace to Anioma people.
(Quote) (Report) 1 Like (Like)
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 1:23pm On Apr 15, 2013
[b]AGBONTEAN OR WHAT EVER

For quite some time I have noticed your presence in all Igbo threads and the surprising energy you throw off at trying to prove you're not Igbo. I have also taken time to go through all your profile on nairaland and I discovered that all your posts are ONLY on Igbo threads and you discuss nothing else on nairaland other than disclaiming being Igbo and calling the Igbo people derogatory names. You say you're not Igbo, fine. But why go to all Igbo threads to argue aimlessly?

I could not also help but notice the numerous derogatory names you called the Igbo while in your attempt to disprove your Igboness and also the excessive copy-and-paste of your same post from thread to thread. Now I want to ask you, why do you harbor such hatred for your Igbo brothers? Do you know that the Ika people are generally regarded as Igbo by other tribes and even by the Bini people you so much love to identify with? Or have you forgotten that when ethnicity becomes an individual thing its only the Igbo people that you can easily identify with? When has it become a sin to be Igbo or have Igbo ancestry? Has the Igbo identity of the Igbo people who are proud of their ancestry affected them in any way? Are you aware that the mainline Igbo race is busy occupied with other issues of life and too busy for trivial issues like claiming Ika? How many prominent Igbo people or organizations are all over the media making efforts to colonize your people? Rather I see several delta Igbo people seeking to unite with their Igbo kith and kins in the south east. Or is it all in your head that we are trying to claim you people?

You need to be commended highly for the massive efforts you've put into furthering your Ika identity on nairaland, but honestly speaking, has it taken you anywhere beyond nairaland? Do you realize that all your hullabaloo ends on nairaland? Has the idea of taking your cause beyond NL and going public and nationwide eluded you?

History books and sources have always listed the Ika to be a sub group under the Igbo cluster based on linguistic similarities.
In the website below, the main website for the Ika people, the Ika people were acknowledged to be an Igbo subgroup.
http://www.ikaworld.com/index.php?mod=article&cat=IkaHistoryamp;Tradition&article=207

In the Joshua project, the Ika were listed under the Igbo cluster.
http://www.joshuaproject.net/people-clusters.php?rop2=C0095

Wikipedia also categorizes the Ika as an Igbo sub-group.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ika_people

If for anything you don't agree with the annals of history, don't you think you should direct all your energy at changing the misinformation that has been recorded for the history of the Ikas? Are you even aware that this Igbo identity of the Ika is all over the internet and is open to millions of users and researchers worldwide to read and believe?

You have shown a great dedication to the cause of your Ika folks and rather than bitching from one Igbo thread to another, i'd suggest that you take the bull by the horns and do something significant for the Ika identity by taking your Ika cause public and nationwide. My 2 cents.
(Quote) (Report) 1 Like (Like)[/b]
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 7:36pm On Apr 15, 2013
1. i am ika and proudly ika , i dont care whoever is igbo , as that is not my business ,and like i said , no genuine ika person will say he is igbo as no igbo will say he is ika and if igbos are looking for population or relivance , they should count ika ethnic group out of it.
2. i dont know why igbos are troubled about the ika people , as we have made our stand known long time ago as we told the world that we are not igbo and we did not support the igbo moves to secceed from nigeria.or is that not enough stance ,as far as am concerned the igbos with their money or numbers can continue to do what they know best which is baseless propAganda on the internet or silly books they publish that will not change the stance of majority of ika people that they are not igbo .
3. today majority of ika people have also shown that stance by not being a part of the igbo socio-cultural organisation called ohaneze ndigbo , but most igbos can also fool themselves by saying they do not need to join ,that group but what do you say of over 90 percent of the kings, chiefs and prominent citizens of ika not associating themselves with any igbo ethnic meetings or the apex group in igbo land , and we know those who attend are mainly from aniocha/oshimili area of delta state , the ikas do not attend, that is enough evidence of our resolved to stand by
our ethnic identity.
4. ika people have their highest socio-cultural group called ogua/onu ika and we hold annual lectures and conference where we invite guest speakers from different tribes in nigeria and sensitize them about the ika ethnicity and issues of how ika can develop , we also publish books , like the ika directory /history that is updated every two years ,all this is going on, so let the igbos continue fooling themseles , but i know when the chips are down ika will always not go with igbos and that is the last thing an ika person will do.
5. our fathers had declared in 1930 that ika is seperate from any ethnic group in nigeria and so i wonder why ika will be igbo in year 2013, when we reject it in 1930, and also rejected being benin in that year and in 1967,.
6. as long as you mention ika , i will continue to defend my tribe from the rubbish being written by igbos , who pretend to know every thing yet they know next to nothing , they will teach an ika man his language, teach us our culture and even teach us our names , so funny ,
one even went to say ali-ezomor is an igbo word , so funny ,
he does not know that ezomor is an edo word ,ikA IS an amalgam of various language hence you can some times have an igbo and edo word mixed to form a statement or you can have a sentence that is quite different from igbo or even benin, that is only indegenous to ika ,such as

1. okenyenni wu osheri m- this man is my witness,
2. ye gbe ke ikponmon , emeni ye jenkor , ya gwam ni tundon memen e ,
3. ali ni wu arandan - ali is land in ika/igbo but arandan is ika ,
4. ulo egbunihian ,isere arasaka----------------if they home does not kill you those outside cannot kill you

5. we can some times have a name in ika like moseri, which is an amalgam of two words both igbo and ika , as mo or nmo means spirit but seri or sheri in ika means witness , just like in yoruba where they say sheri as witness ,also as ika correctly spoken is a mix of many dialects or languages .

7. let me answer the igbo man that said , i wont be happy if any deltA north person or an anioma person is governor , i would not be happy , that is just gibrish , in anioma there are some that believe they are igbos and also many that believe they are anioma and that anioma is different from igbo ,and i happen to fall into that category, well if an anioma person become governor i will be happy , but i will also feel proud of an ika ,if we become governor of delta state , but that will not solve all our problems in anioma or delta state .
8. i do not also think that they case of delta state is so worse like the igbo people accross the niger are making it to be , as anioma people hold high positions in delta state too , so i dont think we are marginalised , it is a new state of just 21 years and it has been ruled by military , we just started having civilians as governor ,
osadebey was governor of midwest, ogbemudia was also governor and they were aniomas , but i support our agitation to produce the next governor , but it should be worked our politically instead of doing it on news papers and if care is not taken the igbos will mislead many anioma people as they cannot vote in delta state and their comments will only lead to inter ethnic troubles.
9. it is not only the aniomas that have not been governor elected in delta state , as we have even faired better than many , as ijaw have never produced governor or deputy or secretary to government, isoko has never produced a deputy and this is the first time they have secretary to government in person of macauley ozovourie, and this is the first time itsekiri is producing governor for delta state , and many other smaller ethnicities in the state too .
10. delta is a complicated state that the igbos no nothing about , do you know that there are many ukwali communities in uhrobo land like orogun, who speak both uhrobo and ndokwa and they are proudly uhrobo and other groups like okpes submerged under uhrobo, so i believe anioma will be governor ,and being igbo or not being igbo will not affect that ,
11. in anioma , i can predict that if the governor is going to delta north , it will either be from ika or ndokwa area , because of the intricacies in the state , but this is my personal opinion .
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 8:22pm On Apr 15, 2013
1. for the records ika is a seperate ethnic group that has made her stand known since 1930 ,by the leeter written to the british government when benin told them that agbor was part of benin ,and they letter said that ika was not a part of any ethnic group in nigeria, and the same was told to the igbos in 1967 ,during the civil war , when they sought to include ika into their igbo ethnicity. so ika has never claimed to be benin ,and neither did our fore fathers claim to be igbo, they only claimed to be ika.
2. ikA NATION is a heterogenous nation that has fussed together over a long time to create its own distinct identity and culture , but the founding fathers mostly hailed from benin or edo area, before other ethnic groups like the igbos , and others came ,but these groups later fussed together to form one ethnicity called ika.
3. if we trace our history to edo or some times to igbo or to some yoruba or igala ethnic group we are not claiming we are these ethnic groups , but our stance is in our belief of being ika ,
4. i dont know why igbos are always afraid or jealous of the word benin , as where ever they see it in ika history they flare up or start insinuation some thing sinister , but for record purpose benin culture is much more advanced than igbo culture and it still commands respect both in nigeria and abroad than igbo culture , so there is nothing they can do about that , or is it because of the civil war hatred that igbos had for the benins,?

5. ika has one of the best cultures in nigeria and we are very proud of our heritage and we are ever ready to defend it , any time and place , long life ika and nigeria
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ojiofor: 10:28pm On Apr 15, 2013
STFU ewu bini wannabe!Binis are more advanced than Igbo in what way?probably in inventing potent juju.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 8:00pm On Apr 16, 2013
1. benin has a more advanced culture that is more glorious than igbo , because benin moved from being a village , to a kingdom and later to an empire that almost covered half of southern nigeria,and that was at a time the igbos were at best living in a very unorganised system without any big town or kingdom , .
2. benin culture developed kingship and monarchy to a very high level and created paraphernelia of kingship that even today most igbo igwes or kings try to copy, like you will often find igbo queens and their husbands wearing the attire made of beads invented by the benins, and some times igbo kings even go as far as using the types of beads and eben that benin monarch uses ,
3. benin had the second largest man made walls or structure made of earth in the world in the form of the benin walls ,
4. up till date benin artworks remain most priced of nigerian artworks and festac mask is the face of queen idia of benin and it is world famous .
5. the personality of the benin monarchy is second to none in nigeria , as it is an institution with mystic and a high philosophy .
6. many people are very proud of their heritage or association with benin , but same cannot be said of the igbos , despite their huge population , that means some thing is wrong . but i will leave that ,
7.if you like call me whatever names you like , i will also call you ilolo that means cattle in owa dialect ,and that is what you are , but my resolve of being an ika man from ika ethnic group cannever be taken away .
8.igbos should let ika people be , as we are not interested in any thing igbo or being counted as igbo people and there is nothing like ika-igbo, as you are either igbo or you are ika .as there is nothing like hausa-fulani , as you are either fulani or hausa , and there is nothing like bini-ishan , as you are either ishan or benin.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ojiofor: 8:41pm On Apr 16, 2013
agbotaen you are still living in the past you better come to terms with todays reality,oba of bini wearing beads that was not made in bini to me was no achievement at all.To you bini people are more advanced than USA because they don't have history of kingship grin?.The good people Benin do not go about insulting Ndigbo the way a bini wannabe like you is doing.
You can be anything you want to be nobody cares,owa is just a village in Delta state I dont know why you are making so much noise as if your little clan is about to be invaded by millions of Ndigbo...Bini people knows their boundary so does Ndigbo and the rest of Nigerians...enough said!

2 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 8:37pm On Apr 24, 2013
1 yes your igbo fathers that came to owa/ika land during the civil war know their boundary and that is why our fathers from ika helped the nigeria troops to kick your igbo people out, and ika might be small but we are very fierce as no body whether igbo or benin has been able to keep us down,and we are damn important to many nationalities , because if we are not important why do you igbo people spend your time campaigning about ika being igbo , i guess you should just stop your rubbish as majority of ika people do not wish to be igbo period.
2. a good name is better than riches and numbers , please mr igbo go and clean up your ethnicity and bring back respect to it, as there is no need to have millions of people and their brand of ethbnicity brings out ,poor quality .
3. owa might be small n population but it has a huge land mass bigger than many of your over populated igbo towns , and mind you thousands of igbos live in owa as traders in bojiboji owa ,
4. we are very proud of our achievements as owa people both in delta politics and nigerian politics and even in international circles both in business and all things , that is a sign of greatness.
5. let me tell you for 100 million naira , i will not change my nationality from ika to igbo or to any other ethnic group , 6. my grandfather ,igbudu mgbejume -omigie told my father that he was an ika man , and osuhon omigie my great grandfather told my grand father that he was an ika man , so also my father told me that am an ika man , and also i have told my children that they are ika , and so shall it be amen , no more , no less/
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 6:18pm On May 09, 2013
1. i will not claim to speak for every ethnicity in anioma ,but i can speak for majority of ika people , we are unique and our culture is different from that of igbos , but we have some similarities with igbos and we also have with edos,and that is what sets us apart.
2. our kingship in ika is called obi,dein or enogie like for those in igbanke areas, but before in ancient times ika kings were called ogiso, and later some became agadagidi like the obi of umuneded or agbogidi the obi of owa , or the ihaifun of abavo ,these were there traditional titles, but the obiship in ika started mostly around the 12th century,and it is from father to son.and it is of the uselu style like that of benin, and this is quite different from the igweship or kingship in igboland.
3. the chieftancy in ika land is usually the palace chiefs, hereditory chiefs and town chiefs and this is different from the one practiced in igboland, these chiefs go by edo titles like edosoma, iyase, ologboshere, ihaza, obaseki and the rest , they also have some titles that go along igbo tradition like ogifurueze,odozinali and others , but the edo titles are usually the most important and significant in most ika areas( may be with exception of igbodo and ekwuoma areas,
and the hereditory chiefs also go from father to son, and this type of chiefs the obi cannot remove , they are a sort of royalty too.
4. ika people believe that their obi was a semidivine being and son of oselobue born through olokun the son of God , and their paraphernelier include the ada -cutlas and eben -scimitar , the ezuzu-fan, ekete -stool , and royal beads ,same with kings in edo area.
5. one significant thing for people of ika ethnic origin is the worship of ogun or idigun -the god of iron, and olokun the god of sea and wealth , .
6. ika people clasify their villages like the edos in what we call ebon or iboze- family , idumu-village and ogbe- town and this is significantly ika in the arrangements,
7. another significant differece is that ika people believe in ehi as their guardian spirit , while igbos believe in chi , and ika believes that when a person dies his ehi will go to orinmin-the land of the dead or heaven to meet with oselobue .
8. in area of festivals the greatest festival that unite ika people is the igue and ibi-ewere festivals which mark the end and start of the new year for all edo or edo related people , and we also perform osiezi, ajamukara, inneh, ikaba, ugbose, ovia and araba and these makes ika distinct from igbos or any other ,
9. however we also have iwagi,and we also perform ikenga and this is similar with what igbos perform too,
10. in ancient times the tribal marks of the ika people is similar to the ones ancient binis had , in ika it is called igu and in benin , it is iwu ,
11. the cult of idinwina belogs to ika and edo women , and these helped regulate the women folk in ika .
12. in ancient times ika practiced matrilinear and patrilinear marriages, and this is also what makes ika to be different from any tribe , whether bini or igbo ,
13. because ika is a conglomeration of different ethnicities that migrated into the present area called ika , each ethnicity brought their culture to bear on the people , such as bini, ishan, ora,igbo, ndokwa,and even yoruba to a little extent , and these people have lived together for hundreds of years and they decided to become one as ika nation , that is why you can see different cultures and thats the uniqueness of ika,
14. our fathers were not confussed when in 1930-they declared that ika is not part of any ethnic group in nigeria.
15. THE basic ika world view is ika and not of any other tribe ,no matter how close they might think they are to us, yes we share afinity with several groups but we just plain ika ethnicity .
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Malawian(m): 8:32pm On May 09, 2013
agbotaen: 1. i will not claim to speak for every ethnicity in anioma ,but i can speak for majority of ika people , we are unique and our culture is different from that of igbos , but we have some similarities with igbos and we also have with edos,and that is what sets us apart.
2. our kingship in ika is called obi,dein or enogie like for those in igbanke areas, but before in ancient times ika kings were called ogiso, and later some became agadagidi like the obi of umuneded or agbogidi the obi of owa , or the ihaifun of abavo ,these were there traditional titles, but the obiship in ika started mostly around the 12th century,and it is from father to son.and it is of the uselu style like that of benin, and this is quite different from the igweship or kingship in igboland.
3. the chieftancy in ika land is usually the palace chiefs, hereditory chiefs and town chiefs and this is different from the one practiced in igboland, these chiefs go by edo titles like edosoma, iyase, ologboshere, ihaza, obaseki and the rest , they also have some titles that go along igbo tradition like ogifurueze,odozinali and others , but the edo titles are usually the most important and significant in most ika areas( may be with exception of igbodo and ekwuoma areas,
and the hereditory chiefs also go from father to son, and this type of chiefs the obi cannot remove , they are a sort of royalty too.
4. ika people believe that their obi was a semidivine being and son of oselobue born through olokun the son of God , and their paraphernelier include the ada -cutlas and eben -scimitar , the ezuzu-fan, ekete -stool , and royal beads ,same with kings in edo area.
5. one significant thing for people of ika ethnic origin is the worship of ogun or idigun -the god of iron, and olokun the god of sea and wealth , .
6. ika people clasify their villages like the edos in what we call ebon or iboze- family , idumu-village and ogbe- town and this is significantly ika in the arrangements,
7. another significant differece is that ika people believe in ehi as their guardian spirit , while igbos believe in chi , and ika believes that when a person dies his ehi will go to orinmin-the land of the dead or heaven to meet with oselobue .
8. in area of festivals the greatest festival that unite ika people is the igue and ibi-ewere festivals which mark the end and start of the new year for all edo or edo related people , and we also perform osiezi, ajamukara, inneh, ikaba, ugbose, ovia and araba and these makes ika distinct from igbos or any other ,
9. however we also have iwagi,and we also perform ikenga and this is similar with what igbos perform too,
10. in ancient times the tribal marks of the ika people is similar to the ones ancient binis had , in ika it is called igu and in benin , it is iwu ,
11. the cult of idinwina belogs to ika and edo women , and these helped regulate the women folk in ika .
12. in ancient times ika practiced matrilinear and patrilinear marriages, and this is also what makes ika to be different from any tribe , whether bini or igbo ,
13. because ika is a conglomeration of different ethnicities that migrated into the present area called ika , each ethnicity brought their culture to bear on the people , such as bini, ishan, ora,igbo, ndokwa,and even yoruba to a little extent , and these people have lived together for hundreds of years and they decided to become one as ika nation , that is why you can see different cultures and thats the uniqueness of ika,
14. our fathers were not confussed when in 1930-they declared that ika is not part of any ethnic group in nigeria.
15. THE basic ika world view is ika and not of any other tribe ,no matter how close they might think they are to us, yes we share afinity with several groups but we just plain ika ethnicity .
where is point number 16 - 16000000 ?
[size=78pt]msheeeew[/size]
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 8:09pm On May 12, 2013
these are some great ika people of the last 100 years ,
1. obi of owa ( 1870-1906) agbogidi eboigbodin igbeoba iseh, who fought the british in a 57 days of full scale war in which captain crewe read was killed in owanta.
2. igbenoba osaigbobu - obi ( dein) of agbor that opposed the oba eweka the second of benin,and established the fact that ika monarchy is not subservient to any other king.
3. obi jegbefume of abavo ( 1900) also opposed the british in ika land.
4. dein of agbor , benjamin keagborekuzi gbenoba ,the youngest living crowned king in the world at age 2 and half years and the youngest prochancellor in africa , and one of the most famous kings in africa .
5. obi of owa dr- efeizomor emmanuel , the great king who has being ruling owa for the past 54 years and has gotten awards both locally and internationally , and an educationist, and chairman delta council of traditional rulers , for some years and present vice-chairman,and an author of many books .
6. jim ovia , from agbor , former M.D , ZENITH BANK, AND M.D. VISAFONE , One of the richest nigerian business man
7. nduka- obaigbena from owa-oyibu , a media guru and owner thisday newspaper
8. nduka irabor from owa-oyibu , a media guru and former house member and chairman footbal professional league company .
9. ivie jegbefume from abavo, former minister of education in midwest nigeria ,
10. professor osunhon from umunede , former minister in midwest nigeria ,
11. edward anuku from owa-oyibu , a minister in western region ,
12. obika gbenoba -the obi of agbor , who was a minister in western region and helped in restoring the dignity of obis in western region.
13. commander anuku from owa-oyibu the first nigeria naval officer to be trainned abroad and later commander of biafran army.
14. samuel osaigbovou ogbemudia , from igbanke the former governor of midwest /bendel state .
15. bamidele steve omojafor , the advert guru , and president of apcoon , he is from agbor .
16. chief fortune ebie the former president ogua/onu ika , and first nigeria director of survey
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 5:39pm On May 14, 2013
22. obi of akumazi - stephen osagie the third , who has being ruling akumazi for over 54 years and he is an astute ika nationalist.
23. DR, ifeanyi okowa, former commissioner, secretary to govt, and now senator representing delta north ,he is from owa-alero. a great ika grssroot politician ,who has done a lot to promote ika ethnicity.
24. DR. CAIRO OJOUGBOH, from agbor , former house of reps .member and special adviser to late president yardua.an astute politician and frontline ika man.
25. sam obi from ute okpu, former speaker and later acting governor ,delta state
26. martins okonta from abavo , former speaker , delta state ,
27. chief okunbor , chief of staff , delta state , from ute okpu,
28. major-general retired, epharaim usiade from owa-oyibu former director army finance corps, and present secretary onu ika , one of the people at the fore front of ika ethnic organisation.
29. hon.justice ehiwario- chairman ika elders forum ,from owa alero ,
30, chief ehikwe from agbor , secretary ika elders forum and a great ika eperson, who was former secretary of U.P.N IN bendel state .
31. joe orewa from agbor , former world bantam weight champion,
33. some astounding ika professors who have distinguished themselves--------------
1. proff okoh
2. proff. osunhon
3. professor kester echenim
4. proff.mrs .okoh
5. professor j. igborgbor
6. prof. olomu
7. prof. aigbogun jacob
8. professor peter osunde
9. prof. okeninkpe
10. prof. jegbefume
11. prof. eric eboh and many others
34. obi of owa -1913- 1920 - stephen ekoko obaigbena okundaiye - he was the first literate obi of owa and the first obi of owa to convert to christianity , he founded the first primary school in owa-oyibu, he also built the first anglican church in owa called st.andrews and he was the first prison contractor in old midwest area.
there are still many more ikas to be mentioned , but we have to recognise our heroes so as to preserve their names and memories
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 11:18pm On May 14, 2013
^^ onye ara
onye ara
onye ara
onye ara
le le
nekwa ya
o chor ri'm
ghost mode
he no dey see me
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 11:04pm On May 15, 2013
igbo boy: ^^ onye ara
onye ara
onye ara
onye ara
le le
nekwa ya
o chor ri'm
ghost mode
he no dey see me
hahahahahahahahahaha.

Pls help ask dat guy wat Okonta means in benin language.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 7:52pm On May 16, 2013
ngozievergreen:
hahahahahahahahahaha.

Pls help ask dat guy wat Okonta means in benin language.

or even okoh...

Ezechime who founded settlements in pressent day delta came from Benin, at least so we were told. But the Story is a half baked story.
Is Ezechime originally from Benin?
Ezechime came from the east to Benin. As things got bad he migrated eastwards (to present day delta) and now people are saying one part of the story which is he is from Benin.
I am yet to meet any Bini man with the name Ezechime.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Malawian(m): 2:32pm On May 17, 2013
igbo boy:

or even okoh...

Ezechime who founded settlements in pressent day delta came from Benin, at least so we were told. But the Story is a half baked story.
Is Ezechime originally from Benin?
Ezechime came from the east to Benin. As things got bad he migrated eastwards (to present day delta) and now people are saying one part of the story which is he is from Benin.
I am yet to meet any Bini man with the name Ezechime.
you are not even current. they have changed the name from "ezechima" to "izechime" even if both names mean nothing in bini language.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 6:24pm On May 17, 2013
1. why are most igbo people dumb, and very funny , okonta is surely an igbo name , and ika people bear both igbo and edo names , but over 90 percent of their surname is edo , period or is that hard for you to understand,
2. what is irabor , obaigbena, ovia, okundaiye, efeizomor, osaigbovou, osagie in igbo ? this are simply edo names and they are names of ika people , some example will surface -
1. jim-ovia - founder zenith bank
2. steve omojafor - APCON , president,
3. stephen osagie -obi of akumazi,
4. emmanuel efeizomor -the obi of owa,
5. nduka-obaigbena the president of NPAN , AND Owner this day newspaper( nduka is an igbo name , while obaigena his surname is edo .
6. major general ephraim usiade , usiade is an edo name , which means may my crown or honour not fall , he is the son of isreal usiade, who was the son of obi steven ekoko obaigbena okundaiye the late obi of owa kingdom.

7. major general nick aigbogun , aigbogun, he is president general for agbor union and aigbogun is an edo name that means we do not kill ogun ( the deity of iron)

but i know that many igbo people always fail to see reason and they are used to a propaganda that will do them no good and no matter what they write majority of ika tribe will never follow igbo or say they are igbos , they can keep fooling themselves on internet , but when the chips are down ika people know who they are .
8. ika is a heterogenous community , as we have people who migrated from benin, ishan , ora, igbo, ndokwa,and even yoruba and other places , who over the hundreds of years have formed one identity called ika , making them a seperate ethnicity , and that was why in 1930 - our fathers said they did not belong to any ethnic group in nigeria and that is it .
9. ika did not come from ezechima , go and get your history right , ika has existed for thousands of years , we were existing before ezechima , as some agbor legend even has it that ezechima was from agbor , while some also say he is from benin , and i have also read modern igbo writters say he is from imo , that is their own piece .
10. finally all the attemps by larger groups to hold on to ika failed , in 1930 the binis where trying to lay claim to ika as part of benin and it failed , and in 1967-during the civil war the igbos also came and lay claim to ika and it also failed , it shows that the ika are ready to fight for their sovereinghty .
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 11:38pm On May 17, 2013
who dey follow this NAMA argue irrelevant points.
The way my brothers from the east dey take fight for Ika dey trip me...Even Oshimili man no recognize Ika then na Nnewi wan come recognize Ika?

Ikas are a confused lot and should be left alone.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 9:20pm On May 18, 2013
igbo boy: who dey follow this NAMA argue irrelevant points.
The way my brothers from the east dey take fight for Ika dey trip me...Even Oshimili man no recognize Ika then na Nnewi wan come recognize Ika?

Ikas are a confused lot and should be left alone.

nobody is particularly fighting over Ika. Just dat he kept mentioning some okonta, nduka.
I feel like taking ice cream but its night
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 3:37pm On May 19, 2013
Afam4eva: Why is it that the Igbos in delta state are always keen to let everyone know that they are unique in their Igboness. And they chose to do this by always changing their name whenever the name of their state changes, before they used to be called "bendel Igbos" and now it's "Delta igbos". Does it mean if the name of their state is changed to "Hausa" they'll become "Hausa Igbos"?
be careful with ur generalizations cos dats wrong.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 3:38pm On May 19, 2013
Ify Angela:
be careful with ur generalizations cos dats wrong.
With what exactly?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 3:51pm On May 19, 2013
[quote author=Afam4eva]
With what exactly?
With what U said about delta igbo how they like 2 distinguish theirselves. You're probably saying this from what u experienced. I am from delta state when igbo ask me if i'm igbo i say yes then they ask me my state and i say delta they say 'you're a fake igbo na its those from the east that are the real ones' i can't even count d number of times i've heard that. So mayb those pple sayn they r delta igbos have thier painfl experience and decide to label theirselves.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 3:55pm On May 19, 2013
Ify Angela:
With what U said about delta igbo how they like 2 distinguish theirselves. You're probably saying this from what u experienced. I am from delta state when igbo ask me if i'm igbo i say yes then they ask me my state and i say delta they say 'you're a fake igbo na its those from the east that are the real ones' i can't even count d number of times i've heard that. So mayb those pple sayn they r delta igbos have thier painfl experience and decide to label theirselves
You're right. It wasn't my intention to generalize. Though i want to believe you're from the Asaba, Ubulu-uku, Ogwashi-uku, Ibusa axis.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 3:58pm On May 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
You're right. It wasn't my intention to generalize. Though i want to believe you're from the Asaba, Ubulu-uku, Ogwashi-uku, Ibusa axis.
nope, i'm from Aboh
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 3:59pm On May 19, 2013
Ify Angela:
nope, i'm from Aboh
Ok. I've met Agbor people from both divides. Those who embrace their Igboness, those who don't and those who are in-between.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 4:16pm On May 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
Ok. I've met Agbor people from both divides. Those who embrace their Igboness, those who don't and those who are in-between.
lol i'm Aboh not Agbor. Aboh is in Ndokwa east most ppl call us d Ukwuanis or d kwales
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 4:18pm On May 19, 2013
Ify Angela:
lol i'm Aboh not Agbor. Aboh is in Ndokwa east most ppl call us d Ukwuanis or d kwales
Ohh ohh my bad. I know Ukwuani(Ndokwa). They're related to Ndoni people in Rivers state.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 4:29pm On May 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
Ohh ohh my bad. I know Ukwuani(Ndokwa). They're related to Ndoni people in Rivers state.
my great grand mum was Ndoni from Rivers
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 4:34pm On May 19, 2013
Ify Angela:
my great grand mum was Ndoni from Rivers
Great.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 5:08am On May 21, 2013
Afam4eva:

hehehhe is that not where vocal slender is from?

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 188
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.