Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,491 members, 7,816,159 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:51 AM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (76) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (244467 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) ... (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by sonya4all(m): 8:01pm On Apr 05, 2013
Why are you dieing because a certain people decides not to associate with you....Shame on you if you come back here again..Igbon....
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by oboy3(m): 8:03pm On Apr 05, 2013
sonya4all: Why are you dieing because a certain people decides not to associate with you....Shame on you if you come back here again..Igbon....
whats the meaning of the 'Igbon' you have been shouting here since?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by sonya4all(m): 8:18pm On Apr 05, 2013
@oboy,igbon is a typical name ikas call igbos..Which means slaves in ika language.....
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by oboy3(m): 8:25pm On Apr 05, 2013
sonya4all: @oboy,igbon is a typical name ikas call igbos..Which means slaves in ika language.....
see how childish your people are?you call us names but we see you as brothers
i have no problem with you being benin
lets nt resort to Insults pls
let the thread die
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by sonya4all(m): 8:36pm On Apr 05, 2013
@oboy,let me ask you,is it that you didnt read the thrash ur kins like chris and co have been spewing about ika? Why then is it on my reply that you would find faults,.I realy dont want to go into that comparism he wants to put up,igbos have this and that,and ikas have nothing,we agree... Igbo is a large ethnic group,so there is no how i can compare them with my small and dynamic ika ethnic group..Needless to say,ika has large deposits of crude..Wat irks me is that most of the people comenting here havent even been to any ika community....Kindly allow the ika people who dont have anythn to be separate...Thats it...Peace.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by oboy3(m): 8:46pm On Apr 05, 2013
Yes,i agree with you,some Igbo people on Nairaland can be so Annoying
I have never had problems with you guys being ika
Emeka,my Kwale friend have always told me never to call him an Igbo guy,and i have alway respected that and i think my fellow Igbos should too

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 5:19pm On Apr 08, 2013
1. your lies on the internet and you wikipeadia cannot dissuade the majority of ika people ,
2. you say ika does not have oil , you lie , right now ika has major deposit of oil in delta state, check out abavo, ute, owa , agbor, and other ika areas , and i think because most igbo people dont know any thing about ika they spew lies.
3. some igbos say ika is insignificant, ok sorry , right now and before in anioma area or old midwest /western region ika has been very important , like chief anuku of owa was a minister in western region, the obi of agbor was also a minister in western region, osaigbovou ogbemudia was governor of midwest/bendel state he is an ika from igbanke, chief osunhon from umunede was a minister in midwest , prince ivie jegbefume from abavo was a minister in midwest region, we aslo had osaigbovo aigbogun from owa as a commissioner in bendel and a host of others,
3. in delta state , we have sam ebonka omigie as former deputy governor under ibru , he is from owa , we had prince sam obi from ute-okpu as former acting governor of delta state, and former speaker of delta, we also had okonta from abavo as former speaker delta state, we had chief ifeanyi okowa as former secretary to government delta state and now the highest political office holder in anioma area as a senator of federal republic, we also have dr. okunbor right now as the chief of staff delta state, we also have chief godson echegile egwabor as ambasador to sieraleone right now, and other great people like commssioner kingsley emu of owa as commissioner for commerce and indusry , and queen victoria ikenchuku ojeba as commissioner for millinium development , and others
4. we have had many generals in the army like usiade, osokogun, aigbogun, admiral eluma, general osifo, and major general ugo buzugbe of owa who is presently the secretary to nigeria army and others.like wise in the police there are many top ika such as retired deputy inspector general ugbaja from owa kingdom.
5. jim ovia is a billionaire and one of the richest nigerian business man , and he is from agbor, we have steve omojafor advert guru and president apcon, we have nduka irabor , nduka obaigbena both jounalist of repute from owa ,and many more ,so if you think ika is not recognised you are just an igbo propagandists , we might be small but we are well respected .
6. for the igbo propagandists i have this to say , it is what we ikas call our selves that is more important to us and not what others call us , we are proudly ika and that is that , if we trace our origin to benin or ishan or to nri and other places , it is just for history sake we are just ika and we will continue to defend that , and no ika has ever claimed to be benin and so no genuine ika person can say he is igbo .
7. i have asked why did igbodo people chase away the igbo wife of their obi ? the answer is simply they no they are not igbos at least that is the conception of most of the citizens , but we do know that many igbodo people claim to be igbos , but that did not stop majority of the town chiefs and people to chase the igbo wife of their obi away ,
8. when the chips are down ika people know who is from ika ethnic group, and that is just the major reason our people rejected supporting biafra and rejected being igbo and when the chips are down ikas know who they are , if they ask you are you nwaebon ? and you cannot answer and they ask you nani ? they know where to confine you .
9.for the igbo propagandist who say ika is not significant , please tell me why we have many igbo people trading in bojiboji owa and agbor ? and why is agbor and owa major towns in delta ? and i have been to many places in the south east , how many places are developed apart from state capitals and some business areas like aba, and a few places .
10. stop fooling your self owa original founders came from ikoha in ovia in edo state , and later others came from different places including ute, nri , and others , that is why our obiship is patterned after benin with edaiken and uselu , and not like igwe in nri , and the obis have forever had edo names. and our culture is mixed with majority being from benin and others from igbo .
11. even during biafra war , this present obi of owa was a stunch supporter of general muritala and nigeria army and he assisted them in chasing biafra out of owa and ika land ,right now our obi of owa is not a member of your ohaneze ndigbo but he is a member of ogua/onu ika the highest socio-culture organisation of ika ethnic group.
12. i also want to say that igbo and other nigeria ethnic group was a modern creation and so the ika ethnicity was given a boost by the great declaration in 1930 , that states that ika is not part of any ethnic group in nigeria ,and agbor patrotic union was formed in 1930 .
13. i am ika and that is all i want to know and hear , i dont want to hear anything about igbo or any other ethnic group
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 7:22pm On Apr 09, 2013
Is good that you are Ika....Ika is more real than this Anioma thing ....Thunder fire osadebay for coining that stupid name and trying to join me with Ika (anumanu people)....
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 7:23pm On Apr 09, 2013
igbo boy: Is good that you are Ika....Ika is more real than this Anioma thing ....Thunder fire osadebay for coining that stupid name and trying to join me with Ika (anumanu people)....
Which part of Anioma was Osadebey from?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 8:16pm On Apr 09, 2013
it is your ancestors that are igbon, and obolo le ozuor ,
ojuwu ke gi nedi i le agbon gbe akpakali,
ebi ebi ke onu gha e gbe , ise , i have abused you back in my owa /ika language , let me assist you in translating it,
igbon- means slave , obolo- means a stupid person, ozuor means a fool,
ojuwu- means satan , nedi -means your father , agbon -means your family/lineage,
gbe -means to slam. akpakali- means bare floor,
ebi ebi - is hopeless idiot, so you can guess what it means , who told you ika wants to be joined with igbos ? and are you sure you are even from delta ? what is your lineage or pedigree ?
or is it by force for people to claim , igbo ? may be that ethnicity is already outdated , or may be it is not a very good product to sell any more,
the igbo you want to die for is a creation of the europeans who coined that ethnicity , it is a recent thing , formerly what we had were villages, towns and kingdoms , and i have never heard it in history that ika was part of any igbo empire or village or town,
anioma and ika too are creations too , so leave us to build the ethnicity our fathers created , if you want to be igbo that is ok, but majority of ika people dont want to be igbo , but we want to be ika ,except for some people like your brother ogbuefi and some others from igbodo and ekwuoma and that is ok , but you saw how the majority of igbodo people chased away the igbo wife of their obi and almost bannished him for taking an igbo wife , that is food for thought for all you igbos trying to force ika people to be igbo .
ika know who their brothers are ,.and they know who is ika and who is igbo , if you like continue to pontificate on how ika is igbo thats your business but try going to an ika gathering and call them igbo and see if they wont throw you out.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 11:54pm On Apr 09, 2013
Afam4eva:
Which part of Anioma was Osadebey from?

Na useless oshimili man

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 12:00am On Apr 10, 2013
agaboaten u sabi twist story sha....

Did the people of igbodo chastise their obi for taking an igbo wife or taking a wife that is not from their community? If the Obi took a wife from agbor or from maiduguri or ngwa or ile ife it would be the same rouse the people will have against their obi because by tradition the FIRST wife must be from the community. Now you are turning it around to say it is because she is igbo...CHAI Ika mumu like you....anuofia

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Malawian(m): 11:38am On Apr 10, 2013
is this thread still active? i had since unfollowed it yet it keeps popping up. @ agbotaen and co, ikaland is landlocked so exactly how are you guys needed? i know two ikas from my time at ekpoma that claim they are igbos so how do you figure? i for one used to think igboland starts from the head bridge when i was small. i have stepped foot at agbor three times. on my first stop there, i was able to pick up what the locals were saying without issues, i have also listened in on the "ika half hour" they broadcast on ABS or one of those anambra stations and once again, i was able to understand them perfectly even if i confess, your ika dialect has a way to substititue A for E. i dont know the language you are writting on this thread cos i dont even understand it at all. whatever you want to call yourselves, what is our own? do your feed us? are we all over your land making a living? what the Bleep is our own? thank you all.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by pazienza(m): 12:24am On Apr 11, 2013
agbotaen: 1. your lies on the internet and you wikipeadia cannot dissuade the majority of ika people ,
2. you say ika does not have oil , you lie , right now ika has major deposit of oil in delta state, check out abavo, ute, owa , agbor, and other ika areas , and i think because most igbo people dont know any thing about ika they spew lies.
3. some igbos say ika is insignificant, ok sorry , right now and before in anioma area or old midwest /western region ika has been very important , like chief anuku of owa was a minister in western region, the obi of agbor was also a minister in western region, osaigbovou ogbemudia was governor of midwest/bendel state he is an ika from igbanke, chief osunhon from umunede was a minister in midwest , prince ivie jegbefume from abavo was a minister in midwest region, we aslo had osaigbovo aigbogun from owa as a commissioner in bendel and a host of others,
3. in delta state , we have sam ebonka omigie as former deputy governor under ibru , he is from owa , we had prince sam obi from ute-okpu as former acting governor of delta state, and former speaker of delta, we also had okonta from abavo as former speaker delta state, we had chief ifeanyi okowa as former secretary to government delta state and now the highest political office holder in anioma area as a senator of federal republic, we also have dr. okunbor right now as the chief of staff delta state, we also have chief godson echegile egwabor as ambasador to sieraleone right now, and other great people like commssioner kingsley emu of owa as commissioner for commerce and indusry , and queen victoria ikenchuku ojeba as commissioner for millinium development , and others
4. we have had many generals in the army like usiade, osokogun, aigbogun, admiral eluma, general osifo, and major general ugo buzugbe of owa who is presently the secretary to nigeria army and others.like wise in the police there are many top ika such as retired deputy inspector general ugbaja from owa kingdom.
5. jim ovia is a billionaire and one of the richest nigerian business man , and he is from agbor, we have steve omojafor advert guru and president apcon, we have nduka irabor , nduka obaigbena both jounalist of repute from owa ,and many more ,so if you think ika is not recognised you are just an igbo propagandists , we might be small but we are well respected .
6. for the igbo propagandists i have this to say , it is what we ikas call our selves that is more important to us and not what others call us , we are proudly ika and that is that , if we trace our origin to benin or ishan or to nri and other places , it is just for history sake we are just ika and we will continue to defend that , and no ika has ever claimed to be benin and so no genuine ika person can say he is igbo .
7. i have asked why did igbodo people chase away the igbo wife of their obi ? the answer is simply they no they are not igbos at least that is the conception of most of the citizens , but we do know that many igbodo people claim to be igbos , but that did not stop majority of the town chiefs and people to chase the igbo wife of their obi away ,
8. when the chips are down ika people know who is from ika ethnic group, and that is just the major reason our people rejected supporting biafra and rejected being igbo and when the chips are down ikas know who they are , if they ask you are you nwaebon ? and you cannot answer and they ask you nani ? they know where to confine you .
9.for the igbo propagandist who say ika is not significant , please tell me why we have many igbo people trading in bojiboji owa and agbor ? and why is agbor and owa major towns in delta ? and i have been to many places in the south east , how many places are developed apart from state capitals and some business areas like aba, and a few places .
10. stop fooling your self owa original founders came from ikoha in ovia in edo state , and later others came from different places including ute, nri , and others , that is why our obiship is patterned after benin with edaiken and uselu , and not like igwe in nri , and the obis have forever had edo names. and our culture is mixed with majority being from benin and others from igbo .
11. even during biafra war , this present obi of owa was a stunch supporter of general muritala and nigeria army and he assisted them in chasing biafra out of owa and ika land ,right now our obi of owa is not a member of your ohaneze ndigbo but he is a member of ogua/onu ika the highest socio-culture organisation of ika ethnic group.
12. i also want to say that igbo and other nigeria ethnic group was a modern creation and so the ika ethnicity was given a boost by the great declaration in 1930 , that states that ika is not part of any ethnic group in nigeria ,and agbor patrotic union was formed in 1930 .
13. i am ika and that is all i want to know and hear , i dont want to hear anything about igbo or any other ethnic group

Stop talking about obi efeizomor. He had long made his stance known. He refused to be bini,he upheld his nri ancestry,and even went as far as writing a book to say that,so that the whole world would know. I think that's enough evidence to show where his allegiance lies.

Not all igwes/obis/ezes in south-east are members of ohanaeze. Efeizomor mustn't be.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by pazienza(m): 12:39am On Apr 11, 2013
o'boy:
Yes,i agree with you,some Igbo people on Nairaland can be so Annoying
I have never had problems with you guys being ika
Emeka,my Kwale friend have always told me never to call him an Igbo guy,and i have alway respected that and i think my fellow Igbos should too

If emeka your friend says that he isn't igbo and should not be seen as such,then that should be respected,after all,we have igbos who have been in equitorial guinea and sierre leone,most of them had long acquired names and languages of indigenous people of those two countries,cos they have been there for more than 150years now,but that doesn't make sierre leöne or equitorial guinea,igboland.

And if they refuse to identify with the ethnic group,that assimilated their fathers,i would expect those people in E. guinea and S.Leon to respect their wish,just like i would respect emeka's wish.

If emeka says he isn't igbo,that's fine,(cos we are aware of non igbo people that infiltrated that part of igboland,and became assimilated by the indigenous igbo group that owns that land) but emeka will be meeting stiff resistance from those who know how his ancestors came to ukwuani,the very day he tries to claim that because he is not igbo,therefore, ukwuaniland is not part of igboland.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by pazienza(m): 12:51am On Apr 11, 2013
sonya4all: Why are you dieing because a certain people decides not to associate with you....Shame on you if you come back here again..Igbon....

The highest authority in Owaland,the obi of Owa, had long embraced his nri ancestry. The minorities from bini in owa,have no say. Usu enwero onu! They either que behind the obi,or get 'shipped' to bini,in due time.

*grins*

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 2:06pm On Apr 11, 2013
[b]
THE TRAVAILS OF IKA IGBO

he article written by one Adewale Adeoye regarding what he wrongly termed “The Travails of Ika Igbo” (The Nation, 20 September, 2009) represented an exercise in futility, for it revealed nothing new. The Ika Igbo of Delta state do not face any special handicap different than what the larger Igbo ethnic group, in particular, and other Nigerians, in general experience daily within the Nigerian ‘federation’. Were Nigeria a properly constituted state talk of half-Igbo, full-Igbo, Delta Igbo, Anioma Igbo, Ikwerre Igbo, core Igbo, marginalization, resource control, federal character, true federation, state police etc will not see the light of day. These divisive tendencies gain currency owing to the systemic collapse of the Nigerian Project, due to structural imbalance which the ruling classes refused to address in statesmanlike manner. Decades ago, Chief Obafemi Awolowo observed and rightly asserted that Nigeria was merely a geographical expression. This wisdom holds true even today!

advertisement
In the checkered history of Nigeria, the Igbo of Southeast Nigeria have never been known to look down on their kith and kin across the Niger let alone those within original Eastern Region. All this Igbo denial began immediately after the Biafra-Nigeria civil war. When Igbo people located outside the greater Igbo heartland found themselves subject to all manner of attacks by groups from the victorious federal side. To escape ethnic persecution and humiliation, they embarked on self-denial and ethnic renunciation. The Ikwerre of Rivers state, in particular, under the oppression of the Ijaw, with full Federal Government support, embarked upon an exercise in futility by adding “R” before every Igbo place name such that “Umueme” became “Rumueme”, “Umuola became “Rumuola”, “Umuokwuta” became “Rumuokwuta”, “Umuokoro” became “Rumuokoro”. Did this development change the fortune-economic, political- of the Ikwerre people in old Rivers state? Currently, the Ikwerre Igbo, realizing the futility of such action have started replacing the “R” prefix with “O” so instead of, say, “Rumueze”, it is now “Omueze” etc. Why indulge in this self-humiliation especially when you belong to a major ethnic group? Did economic and political liberation for the Ikwerre Igbo not come after the creation of Bayelsa state despite decades of futile attempts to please the Ijaw and other Nigerians in old Rivers state? Were Ijaw still the dominant group in new Rivers state, would the Ikwerre and other Igbo groups dreamt of ever producing an executive governor for the state let alone in succession?

The reason I used the Ikwerre analogy is to highlight the fact that it is not the Igbo who determine which group is Igbo or not especially because Ikwerre land used to be part of old Owerri Division. Other Nigerians are the ones who rightly remind those self-denying Igbo that, indeed, they are full-blood Igbo, denial or not notwithstanding. The Igbo are grateful to these Nigerians for doing this very important job of enlightenment for the Igbo free of charge. And we commend them for it. The Igbo found in Delta state have never been within the same political administration with the Igbo of Southeast. This unfortunate development was not the fault of the so-called core Igbo or the non-core Igbo, as it were. Rather, it resulted from the economic and political treachery of British colonial authorities. This situation which still persists saw the Igbo whether of the Western Region, Midwest Region, Bendel State, and now Delta state to exist as a minority within a minority-dominated political space. As such, they became subjects of ethnic jingoism of the most bestial degree. The situation of Igbo of Delta North is similar to the fate of a cockroach in a gathering of fowls- it could never be deemed innocent.

Furthermore, in the said article the subject-matter, a certain Chinedu Iraboh, did not face the situation he allegedly experienced in his pursuit of (government?) contract because of the nature of his last name. If so, why is that we have Nigerians bearing Arab and English surnames, yet these Nigerians represent Nigeria at the highest levels of Government both within and outside Nigeria? He is adult Nigerian and should have known that contracts are awarded based on certain criteria such as proven experience, firm’s liquidity and solvency, connection- school, marriage, or business- and, at times, corruption. Did he offer the proverbial ten percent to the contract award committee? Did he arrange for prostitutes and women of loose morals to go fool around with the commissioner for works or finance or the director general? Did he organize a lavish birthday party for the governor, commissioner, or permanent secretary’s wife or child?

Igbo land is an integral part of Nigeria so is not immune from some of the governmental chicanery which keeps the federation castrated. If he is whining about losing out of a contract award, what does he expect Nigerian owned firms that loose out to Chinese, Korean, German, American, British, French firms to do? Was Mr. Chinedu Iraboh not in Nigeria during the first GSM bidding rounds? What happened to the bid efforts of Chiefs Mike Adenuga and Annie Okonkwo’s firms? Did Mr. Irabor not read about Gbenga Obasanjo’s allegation that his father, former President Obasanjo, preferred to patronize his (Gbenga’s) wife with contracts than he, his son? In the award of contracts across the world, several variables come into play and these variables are tripled in Nigeria. My advice to Mr. Iraboh and his ilk is to seek connection with the centers of power in any state or local government he is seeking for contract. Nigeria has not developed or advanced to the stage where contracts are awarded purely on merit, ability and experience.

In Anambra state, for instance, both regimes of Chief Chris Ngige and Dr Peter Obi, have patronized and continue to patronize the civil engineering firm Inter Bau, a company owned by Chief Nathaniel Okechukwu, an Igbo from Delta state. The contracts both governors awarded and continue to award to Inter Bau, dwarfs any that was awarded to civil engineering firms owned by Anambra state indigenes or other Igbo. This patronage is not borne out of ethnic solidarity rather because Inter Bau has demonstrated that if given the opportunity to prove its engineering feat, foreign firms were not better at executing contracts than it. Again, Governor Peter Obi in a resolve to shore up the internally generated revenue base of Anambra state, commissioned a Yoruba-owned firm for that purpose. In doing this, the governor was looking both at experience and result, not tribal affiliation. Other firms owned by other Nigerians, whether from Delta state, Delta north, other parts of Nigeria and foreigners alike are all over Igbo land, executing various contracts just as Igbo-owned firms are awarded contracts across Nigeria.

Furthermore, much as I have great respect for the Ijaw, Urhobo, Isoko, and Itsekiri of Delta state and other Nigerians alike, is it not madness for a Delta Igbo to exhibit signs of inferiority in the presence of these groups to the extent that, whereas these other peoples are at home speaking their various languages in the presence of an Igbo from Delta state, the Delta Igbo would rather speak pidgin English before this people so as not to be “found” out as Igbo. Supposed that the Delta north people are the only Igbo people in Nigeria; would they not assert their equal stake both in the Delta state and Nigeria? Why should they display timidity in the presence of these other groups? What informed such attitude? Even in schools-universities, polytechnics, and other higher institutions- Delta Igbo always feel intimidated by groups with whom they share the same state. Why? Because the denial and denunciation of their Igbo origins render them numerically inferior to the combined numbers of these other groups. This self-inflicted injury is happening in a Nigeria where Igbo students constitute the largest students’ population after the indigenous students’ population in higher institutions. Since they vehemently deny being Igbo, they invariably alienate themselves from the larger and vibrant Igbo student population. On the other hand, minority student groups do not accept them as integral part of their group because they know they are misguided Igbo. In such situation, they are viewed with suspicion by both groups and are left in limbo.

Additionally, the Apoi Ijaw in Ondo state despite adopting both the Yoruba language and culture still identify fully as Ijaw and with Ijaw causes. Also, the bloodline between the Itsekiri of Delta state and the Yoruba of Southwest Nigeria is not as tight as that between Delta Igbo and their kith and kin across the River Niger, a distance of less than 5 miles, yet Itsekiri leadership recognizing the strength and opportunities inherent in belonging to a larger group, consider themselves an extension of the larger Yoruba community and fully participate in Yoruba cultural, economic and political causes. They do not nurse any shame about such identification. But, regrettably, Delta Igbo, under the guidance of centrifugal forces, continue to deny being Igbo, as if such denial provides any material benefit. Even the experience of Dr Peter Odili, an illustrious Igbo son and two-term governor of Rivers state, during the presidential nomination processes seem not to have registered with the Delta Igbo and South South Igbo in general.

Using the agency of the South South Peoples Assembly, a group founded and funded by Governor Odili himself, non-Igbo South South leaders exploited the organization to scuttle the presidential aspirations of Peter Odili. For them, it was better the presidency remained in the Southwest or returned to the North than for a South South Igbo to hold the office for the region. Why’s that? According to Chief Edwin Clark, a so-called Ijaw leader, “South south cannot be represented by someone with double loyalty”, which indirectly refers to Dr Odili’s Igbo roots yet Odili, like millions of other Igbo, belongs to the South south geo-political zone. If it happened to Odili, it could happen to Chief Austin Opara, Chief Peter Okocha, Chief Chibudom Nwuche, and Chief Benjamin Elue among several illustrious Igbo from the South south. In Germany, for instance, Germans from former Soviet Union are busy retracing their ancestral roots and returning back to Germany. These returnee Germans do not face any noticeable persecution in the states they are returning from. They return because they recognize the strength in belonging to a large group. Jews all over the world are flooding to Israel because they wish to be in a state where they do not constitute a minority or, worse, a minority within a minority. Delta Igbo should copy these examples and do what is right for present and future generations of their people.

Moreover, sometime state creation is often cited by a section of Delta Igbo as a sign of Igbo hatred towards them. The 1996 state creation exercise of the Abacha junta, for instance, is always used as a demonstration of this ‘hatred’. In recorded history, Delta Igbo, in their quest for an administrative region of their own, have always received full support from the larger Igbo group. It was such solidarity that saw to the creation of Midwest Region in 1963. Without the unalloyed support, material, moral, and political, of Zik of Africa and Dr Michael Okpara, Midwest Region could never have been realized. Without support from those luminaries, Chief Dennis Osadebey, an Igbo from Delta north, would not have become the first premier of Midwest Region.

In the case of issues surrounding the states creation exercise of 1996, Anioma state was one of the three states recommended by Ohaneze Ndigbo for the entire Igbo nation without considerations of geographical or regional location of such a state. However, Abacha decided to create just one state for each of the six geo-political zones. In Nigeria’s geo-political arrangement, Anioma is in the South South zone, not in the Southeast. For the South south, Abacha carved out Bayelsa state from old Rivers state. In the Southeast, he chopped off parts of Abia and Enugu states to form Ebonyi state. So where did the Igbo go wrong here? We should remember that during Abacha’s junta, not one Igbo was a member of his so-called Provisional Ruling Council until Commodore Amadi Ikwechegh was introduced into the body, much later in the life of the dictatorship.

Finally, Delta Igbo like the greater Igbo group should put its house in order and stop crying wolf where none exists. The civil war affected the Igbo generally and terribly. However, the Igbo, by dint of hard work and unmatched determination, have scaled some of the wedges placed in their way since after the war. In attaining this height, the Igbo did not rely on any internal or external forces for assistance. The Delta Igbo equally paid dearly during the period of the conflagration. No one could ever forget the Asaba and Umuechem cold-blooded massacres of innocent men, women and children. The Ikwerre, too, suffered just like other Igbo groups.

However, such group suffering should form the basis for ethnic stocktaking and reconciliation that might lead to ethnic rejuvenation and collective survival within the Nigerian state. It should not form the basis for the championing centrifugalism amongst the Igbo; for at the end of the day, those Nigerians who know the boundaries of Igbo land will remind the irredentists among the Igbo that they are Igbo. Having survived what amounted to a near ethnic annihilation at the hands of fellow Nigerians, the Igbo are busy now gathering their flock that were scattered across the globe. The results have been encouraging so far. Igbo sons and daughters are not lacking in any sphere of human endeavour both in Nigeria and overseas. This newly found consciousness needs be consolidated by all and sundry. Group which thought the Igbo were finished are now envious of Igbo attainments. Let not unreasonable in-fighting amongst segments of the great and indomitable Igbo nation derail this nascent vigour.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 2:17pm On Apr 11, 2013
g our Heritage

THE HOME OF THE IGBO IN NIGERIA
Igbo people are among the largest single ethnic groups in Africa . They are based mostly in southeastern Nigeria constituting about 25% of the population of the country. Because the Igbo is daring, competitive, hard-working and enterprising, he can be found doing business in all parts of Nigeria, in Cameroon, Gabon, and Equatorial Guinea . These attributes brought success, wealth and power … as well as distrust, jealousy and outright hatred within the polity. The mass exodus of Igbo people from their homeland has continued unabated and the Igbo can indeed be found in very significant numbers in all parts of the world. Their language is Igbo. Administratively, Igbo people make up 100% of the five states of the southeast zone comprising Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu and Imo. The contiguous states of Delta and Rivers in the south south zone also have very significant Igbo populations. Igbo is the language throughout Igbo land. Prominent cities/parts in the Igbo country include Aba, Awka, Owerri, Orlu, Nnewi, Mbaise, Nsukka, Enugu, Onitsha , Afikpo, Okigwe, Umuahia, Asaba, amongst others. Igbo land is bothered in the east by Akwa Ibom and Cross River States, in the North by Benue and Kogi States, in the West by Edo and Delta States and in the South by Rivers and Bayelsia States. Port harcourt in Rivers state is essentially an Igbo center being made up mostly of Ikwerre people and is its gateway to the Bight of Biafra. Delta State is contiguous with the Igbo states of Anambra and Imo with the Anioma area in its north being an Igbo area.

ABIA STATE SOUTHEASTERN NIGERIA

Chief T. A. Orji
Executive Governor
Abia State is a state in southeastern Nigeria. The capital is Umuahia, although the major commercial city is Aba. The state was created in 1991 from part of Imo State. It is one of the nine constituent states of the Niger Delta region. The name "Abia" is an abbreviation of four of the state's densely populated regions Aba, Bende, Isuikwuato, and Afikpo. Abia people are of the Igbo ethnic group who predominate the Southeastern part of Nigeria. English is widely spoken and serves as the official language in governance and business. Abia's people are mainly Christians. The state has large deposits of crude oil and natural gas.
ANAMBRA STATE SOUTHEASTERN NIGERIA

Mr. Peter Obi
Executive Governor
Anambra is a state in south-eastern Nigeria. Its name is an anglicized version of the original 'Oma Mbala', the native name of the Anambra River. The Capital and the Seat of Government is Awka. Onitsha and Nnewi are the biggest commercial and industrial cities, respectively. Boundaries are formed by Delta State to the west, Imo State and Rivers State to the south, Enugu State to the east and Kogi State to the north. The indigenous ethnic group in Anambra state are the Igbo. Anambra is the eighth most populated states in the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the second most densely populated state in Nigeria after Lagos State with an estimated density of 1,500–2,000 persons living within every square kilometer of the area. The state has large deposits of crude oil and natural gas untapped.
DELTA STATE SOUTH-SOUTH NIGERIA

Mr. Emmanuel Uduaghan
Executive Governor
Delta State comprises mainly Urhobo, Isoko, Delta Igbo (Anioma), Ijaw and Itsekiri. Delta is an oil producing state of Nigeria situated in the region known as the Niger Delta, South-South Geo-political zone. The capital city is Asaba located at the northern end of the state. Warri is economic nerve of the state and also the most populated. It is located in the southern end of the state. Delta State is ethnically diverse with peoples and numerous languages spoken in the state. The Delta North made up of the Delta Igbo comprises the Asaba. Aniocha, Ika, Ukwuani and Ndoisimili regions. The Delta Central and Delta South are made up of Urhobo, Ijaw, Isoko, and Itsekiri. These groups are known to inter-marry. Most inhabitants of the state practice Christianity and very few traditional faiths.
EBONYI STATE SOUTHEASTERN NIGERIA

Chief Martin Elechi
Executive Governor
Ebonyi State is a mainland south-eastern state of Nigeria, inhabited and populated primarily by Igbo. Its capital and largest city is Abakaliki. Afikpo is the second largest city. Other major towns are Edda, Mgbo, Onueke, Ezzamgbo, Nkalagu, Uburu, Onicha, Ishiagu, Ukawu, Amasiri and Okposi. It is one of the six new states in Nigeria created in 1996 out of the old Abakaliki division of Enugu State and old Afikpo division of Abia State. The state has large deposits of crude oil and natural gas untapped. Ebonyi is primarily an agricultural producing region. It is a leading producer of rice, yams, potatoes, maize, beans, and cassava. Rice and Yams are predominantly cultivated in EDDA. Ebonyi also has several solid mineral resources, but little large-scale commercial mining.
ENUGU STATE SOUTHEASTERN NIGERIA

Chief Sullivan Chime
Executive Governor
Enugu State is a mainland state in southeastern Nigeria. Its capital is Enugu, from which the state - created in 1991 from the old Anambra State - derives its name. The principal cities in the state are Enugu, Agbani, Awgu, Udi, Oji, and Nsukka. The state shares borders with Abia State and Imo State to the south, Ebonyi State to the east, Benue State to the northeast, Kogi State to the northwest and Anambra State to the west.
IMO STATE SOUTHEASTERN NIGERIA

Owelle Rochas Okorocha
Executive Governor
Imo State came into existence in 1976 along with other new states having been previously part of East-Central State. The state is named after the Imo River. Part of it was split off in 1991 as Abia State, and another part became Ebonyi State. The main cities in Imo State are Owerri, Orlu and Okigwe. The Orashi River has its source in this state. The local language is Igbo and Christianity is the predominant religion. It is bordered by Abia State on the East, by the River Niger and Delta State on the west, by Anambra State to the north and Rivers State to the south. Besides Owerri, Imo State's major towns are Isu, Okigwe, Oguta, Orlu, Mbaise, Mbano, Mbieri, Orodo and Orsu. The state is rich in natural resources including crude oil, natural gas, lead, zinc.
RIVERS STATE SOUTH-SOUTH NIGERIA

Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi
Executive Governor
Rivers State is one of the 36 states of Nigeria. Its capital is Port Harcourt. It is bounded on the South by the Atlantic Ocean, to the North by Imo, Abia and Anambra States, to the East by Akwa Ibom State and to the West by Bayelsa and Delta states. The state was formed in 1967 with the split of the Eastern Region of Nigeria. Rivers state is home to diverse ethnic groups some of which include: Ikwerre, Ijaw, and Ogoni. Ikwerre people are generally considered a subgroup of the Igbo people of southeastern Nigeria, although a small minority for political expediency now dispute this account, claiming their history was rewritten during the colonial period because of the dominance of the larger Igbo group. The Ikwerre are said to be descendants of long-distance traders from Nkwerre, Arochukwu, Awka, Orlu, and Owerri areas. They constitute the majority of Rivers state, Nigeria, although there are other populations in neighboring states. They are traditionally farmers, fishermen and hunters, but in recent times, the environmental degradation and urban sprawl associated with oil exploration and exploitation has caused a sharp decline in the amount of farmland, forests and rivers available for their traditional occupations.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 2:29pm On Apr 11, 2013
ANNOUNCE THIS ARTICLE TO YOUR FRIENDS

SOUTH-SOUTH IGBO: AN INDISPENSABLE OPTION TO THE PDP

very indication is that the PDP will settle for a South Southern flag bearer for the forthcoming 2007 general election. South-South zone, of course, is home to Nigeria's ethnic Southern minorities. The truth is that in a free and fair election, such a move by the PDP could as well be a gamble. Nigeria is an ethnic conscious nation. When the chips are down, the South South Presidential contender from the PDP, will not only be judged by whom he is, but his acceptability by the populous members of the Nigerian tripod. The tripod that Nigeria was founded on, consists of the Hausa-Fulani, Igbo and the Yoruba. Except the elections will be rigged, PDP cannot force the electorate to vote for any candidate that emerges as their flag bearer. This is basic.

However, with good political strategists, such an idea could spring positive surprises. Democracy is a game of numbers. It is not uncommon to hear people say that in democracy, minority will have their say, but the majority will have their way. Amongst the numerous ethnic groups in the South-South zone, It is only the native Igbo speakers and/or perhaps, the Itshekiris that are related to any one of the formidable Nigerian tripod. Itshekiris are somehow related to the Yorubas. Nigerians have seen the Yoruba race, rise on several occasions to defend the interests of their small Itshekiri brothers.

A careful look at how some of these ethnic groups in the South South relate to one another would reveal that it is not without the usual squabbles and suspicions. The Warri conflict has already damaged the Ijaw and Itshekiri relationship. Mutual trust will not return any time soon. Owing to the perceived Ijaw expansionist agenda in the Niger Delta, and Warri in particular, the Itshekiris and Urhobos, will pray fervently that an Ijaw never be allowed to become President. And vice versa.

On the other hand, there is no love lost between the Igbo in Delta state and the Urhobos. The latter have never stopped grudging about the Capital of Delta State, that is currently cited in Asaba, Igboland. They have been unwilling to accept the idea of power shift in Delta state, which the Igbos in Delta have been demanding. Talk-less backing them for Aso Rock. On several occasions, through the print media, the Urhobos have expressed clear anxiety about the Delta Igbo association with Ohaneze, which they regard as a political elephant next door. Nevertheless, the fact is that native Igbo speakers in Delta State have the largest number of local governments. An advantage that puts them in a better bargaining position.

advertisement
So, when the PDP gets into the real business of choosing a flag bearer, they have got to really walk a fine line. They must have to recognize that other parties are there too. If the PDP fails to choose a South South Igbo or Itshekiri as her flag bearer, and some other party fields a Yoruba as running mate, and again, another party fields an Igbo as flag bearer or running mate, the PDP will be in for a big shocker. Except there is no free and fair election.

On that day, at the polls, the typical Yoruba man or market woman at Ogbomosho or Ibadan, will not have a Yoruba Vice Presidential candidate around, only to cast her vote for someone of a smaller ethnic group. So will the Igbo, whose one quarter population are found in the South South react. It is natural. We have not yet arrived at that political sophistication. The Igbo in general, I believe, can't afford to bear the pain of their kin in the South South not selected by the PDP, then again, fail to cast protest votes for a South East Presidential candidate or even running mate from another party.

On the other hand, the Northern conservatives, in the first place, are not really at ease with the elevation of the minorities in Nigeria, from having their say to having their way. These have been expressed severally by men like Alhaji Tanko Yakassai, Alhaji Umaru Dikko and other Hausa-Fulani hegemonists.

An Igbo South South PDP flag bearer, will serve as a bridge between the aspiration of the South South and South East. And on wining the election, will naturally have the unprecedented advantage of having two geo political zones as his/her home base. Some of the suitable candidates are:

Prof. Patrick Okedinachi Utomi: He is a Professor of Entrepreneurship and Director of the Centre for Applied Economics at the Lagos Business School. At 27 he served as Special Assistant to Vice President Alex Ekwueme. He was once Chief Operating Officer for Volkswagen of Nigeria. The author of several management and public policy books including the award-winning "Managing Uncertainty". Among the 16 boards on which he serves as Chairman are Platinum Bank Limited (now Platinum-Habib Bank, following the banking consolidation exercise), Leapfrog Venture Partners, BusinessDay Media Ltd, Graceland (the New Jersey, USA, Chocolate manufacturer), and Arivia.Kom Nigeria, the subsidiary of the South African IT Group. Prof. Utomi is a native of Ogwashi-ukwu, and financially well positioned for 2007.

Dr. Peter Odili: Current Gov. Rivers State. A medical Doctor, from Ndoni community of the Ogbaru Clan. Dr. Odili, Chief Osita Osadebay the highlife musician, and Prof. Ben. Nwabueze the former Ohaneze scribe are the major personalities from this Clan. Odili spent the early part of his youth at Onitsha. He attended CKC Onitsha, and was their football captain in his days. Over the years, he has donated Millions of Naira in the refurbishment of CKC and UNN Nsukka. He is well positioned financially to oil his Presidential campaign. His impoverished Ogbaru Clan, which geographically spreads from the Onitsha end of the Niger bridge, on both banks of the river, down into what is known today as Rivers state would be pleased. The Ogbarus have long yearned for infrastructural development and the dredging of the River Niger. (Ogbaru.org)

Chief Peter Olisaeloka Okocha: Former Chairman of African Petroleum (AP). He sits on the board of several high-flying companies as Chairman, including Sadiq Petroleum and Chrismatel Group. Member, Board of Trustees of the American University of Yola. From a humble beginning. A native of Igbuzo. Born in Jos. He is very fluent in the Hausa language, and has admirers in the North, and as well as in the South West. He is financially powerful, and can evenly square with the richest contender.

Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: She is the current Finance minister. Of Ogwashi-Ukwu origin, but married to a South Easterner. What she is currently doing can be compared to what she will do with our economy as Nigeria's President.

Chief Sunday Okogwu: Ojise of Asaba. Igbo Nationalist and a de-tribalized Nigerian. Multi- billionaire, and President of Black Gold Group, Kaduna. He has severally been fingered in the behind-the-scene drive for the actualization of an Igbo presidency in 2003. Sunny's Hausa-Fulani maternal background would be a plus point.

Chief Sonny Iwedike Odogwu: Ide of Asaba. Insurance magnate and Chairman Grand Hotels Asaba. A tested Manager and Administrator. Multi-billionaire and philanthropist of note. He has got all what it takes to be President of Nigeria.

Dr. Samuel Ogbemudia: Ogbemudia, despite his name, is from the Igbo-speaking community of Igbo-Akiri (Igbanke). This fact may not even be known by many South Easterners. A Dr. Ogbemudia candidacy will have to enlighten the ordinary South Easterners, on not only his admirable track record as Governor of the old Mid-West, but on the little known Ika-Igbo speaking people of Edo state. Above all, he will have to remind the people of his good nature. It would be recalled, that it was he that called on the Federal Government to embrace the skills of the Biafran Engineers right after the war. But Unfortunately, he was rather called to order. I believe, Ogbemudia, with good campaign directors, will make in-roads in the South East. His greatest obstacle may be his age.

In essence, there are capable men and women from the Ika clan, Igbuzo, Asaba down to Ukwuani, and on the Eastern flank, Ndoni, Ahoada, Ikwerre, Ogba, Etche, Obigbo et al. Thus, native Igbo speakers are well positioned in the South-South to offer someone that can lead Nigeria. To assuage the Presidential aspiration of the South East and South South zones, Obasanjo should move quickly to pick his successor from the areas mentioned. There is no doubt that he has confidants from these areas. If he decides to choose from the South-East, that is fine, he is equally surrounded by capable South Easterners. One thing I am sure the President has learnt from the ill-fated third term, is that democracy is purely a game of numbers.You've got to go to where the votes are. Again, like third term, it is the people of Nigeria who will have the final say on who will lead them from 2007.
[/b][/font]
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 2:29pm On Apr 11, 2013
ANNOUNCE THIS ARTICLE TO YOUR FRIENDS

SOUTH-SOUTH IGBO: AN INDISPENSABLE OPTION TO THE PDP

very indication is that the PDP will settle for a South Southern flag bearer for the forthcoming 2007 general election. South-South zone, of course, is home to Nigeria's ethnic Southern minorities. The truth is that in a free and fair election, such a move by the PDP could as well be a gamble. Nigeria is an ethnic conscious nation. When the chips are down, the South South Presidential contender from the PDP, will not only be judged by whom he is, but his acceptability by the populous members of the Nigerian tripod. The tripod that Nigeria was founded on, consists of the Hausa-Fulani, Igbo and the Yoruba. Except the elections will be rigged, PDP cannot force the electorate to vote for any candidate that emerges as their flag bearer. This is basic.

However, with good political strategists, such an idea could spring positive surprises. Democracy is a game of numbers. It is not uncommon to hear people say that in democracy, minority will have their say, but the majority will have their way. Amongst the numerous ethnic groups in the South-South zone, It is only the native Igbo speakers and/or perhaps, the Itshekiris that are related to any one of the formidable Nigerian tripod. Itshekiris are somehow related to the Yorubas. Nigerians have seen the Yoruba race, rise on several occasions to defend the interests of their small Itshekiri brothers.

A careful look at how some of these ethnic groups in the South South relate to one another would reveal that it is not without the usual squabbles and suspicions. The Warri conflict has already damaged the Ijaw and Itshekiri relationship. Mutual trust will not return any time soon. Owing to the perceived Ijaw expansionist agenda in the Niger Delta, and Warri in particular, the Itshekiris and Urhobos, will pray fervently that an Ijaw never be allowed to become President. And vice versa.

On the other hand, there is no love lost between the Igbo in Delta state and the Urhobos. The latter have never stopped grudging about the Capital of Delta State, that is currently cited in Asaba, Igboland. They have been unwilling to accept the idea of power shift in Delta state, which the Igbos in Delta have been demanding. Talk-less backing them for Aso Rock. On several occasions, through the print media, the Urhobos have expressed clear anxiety about the Delta Igbo association with Ohaneze, which they regard as a political elephant next door. Nevertheless, the fact is that native Igbo speakers in Delta State have the largest number of local governments. An advantage that puts them in a better bargaining position.

advertisement
So, when the PDP gets into the real business of choosing a flag bearer, they have got to really walk a fine line. They must have to recognize that other parties are there too. If the PDP fails to choose a South South Igbo or Itshekiri as her flag bearer, and some other party fields a Yoruba as running mate, and again, another party fields an Igbo as flag bearer or running mate, the PDP will be in for a big shocker. Except there is no free and fair election.

On that day, at the polls, the typical Yoruba man or market woman at Ogbomosho or Ibadan, will not have a Yoruba Vice Presidential candidate around, only to cast her vote for someone of a smaller ethnic group. So will the Igbo, whose one quarter population are found in the South South react. It is natural. We have not yet arrived at that political sophistication. The Igbo in general, I believe, can't afford to bear the pain of their kin in the South South not selected by the PDP, then again, fail to cast protest votes for a South East Presidential candidate or even running mate from another party.

On the other hand, the Northern conservatives, in the first place, are not really at ease with the elevation of the minorities in Nigeria, from having their say to having their way. These have been expressed severally by men like Alhaji Tanko Yakassai, Alhaji Umaru Dikko and other Hausa-Fulani hegemonists.

An Igbo South South PDP flag bearer, will serve as a bridge between the aspiration of the South South and South East. And on wining the election, will naturally have the unprecedented advantage of having two geo political zones as his/her home base. Some of the suitable candidates are:

Prof. Patrick Okedinachi Utomi: He is a Professor of Entrepreneurship and Director of the Centre for Applied Economics at the Lagos Business School. At 27 he served as Special Assistant to Vice President Alex Ekwueme. He was once Chief Operating Officer for Volkswagen of Nigeria. The author of several management and public policy books including the award-winning "Managing Uncertainty". Among the 16 boards on which he serves as Chairman are Platinum Bank Limited (now Platinum-Habib Bank, following the banking consolidation exercise), Leapfrog Venture Partners, BusinessDay Media Ltd, Graceland (the New Jersey, USA, Chocolate manufacturer), and Arivia.Kom Nigeria, the subsidiary of the South African IT Group. Prof. Utomi is a native of Ogwashi-ukwu, and financially well positioned for 2007.

Dr. Peter Odili: Current Gov. Rivers State. A medical Doctor, from Ndoni community of the Ogbaru Clan. Dr. Odili, Chief Osita Osadebay the highlife musician, and Prof. Ben. Nwabueze the former Ohaneze scribe are the major personalities from this Clan. Odili spent the early part of his youth at Onitsha. He attended CKC Onitsha, and was their football captain in his days. Over the years, he has donated Millions of Naira in the refurbishment of CKC and UNN Nsukka. He is well positioned financially to oil his Presidential campaign. His impoverished Ogbaru Clan, which geographically spreads from the Onitsha end of the Niger bridge, on both banks of the river, down into what is known today as Rivers state would be pleased. The Ogbarus have long yearned for infrastructural development and the dredging of the River Niger. (Ogbaru.org)

Chief Peter Olisaeloka Okocha: Former Chairman of African Petroleum (AP). He sits on the board of several high-flying companies as Chairman, including Sadiq Petroleum and Chrismatel Group. Member, Board of Trustees of the American University of Yola. From a humble beginning. A native of Igbuzo. Born in Jos. He is very fluent in the Hausa language, and has admirers in the North, and as well as in the South West. He is financially powerful, and can evenly square with the richest contender.

Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: She is the current Finance minister. Of Ogwashi-Ukwu origin, but married to a South Easterner. What she is currently doing can be compared to what she will do with our economy as Nigeria's President.

Chief Sunday Okogwu: Ojise of Asaba. Igbo Nationalist and a de-tribalized Nigerian. Multi- billionaire, and President of Black Gold Group, Kaduna. He has severally been fingered in the behind-the-scene drive for the actualization of an Igbo presidency in 2003. Sunny's Hausa-Fulani maternal background would be a plus point.

Chief Sonny Iwedike Odogwu: Ide of Asaba. Insurance magnate and Chairman Grand Hotels Asaba. A tested Manager and Administrator. Multi-billionaire and philanthropist of note. He has got all what it takes to be President of Nigeria.

Dr. Samuel Ogbemudia: Ogbemudia, despite his name, is from the Igbo-speaking community of Igbo-Akiri (Igbanke). This fact may not even be known by many South Easterners. A Dr. Ogbemudia candidacy will have to enlighten the ordinary South Easterners, on not only his admirable track record as Governor of the old Mid-West, but on the little known Ika-Igbo speaking people of Edo state. Above all, he will have to remind the people of his good nature. It would be recalled, that it was he that called on the Federal Government to embrace the skills of the Biafran Engineers right after the war. But Unfortunately, he was rather called to order. I believe, Ogbemudia, with good campaign directors, will make in-roads in the South East. His greatest obstacle may be his age.

In essence, there are capable men and women from the Ika clan, Igbuzo, Asaba down to Ukwuani, and on the Eastern flank, Ndoni, Ahoada, Ikwerre, Ogba, Etche, Obigbo et al. Thus, native Igbo speakers are well positioned in the South-South to offer someone that can lead Nigeria. To assuage the Presidential aspiration of the South East and South South zones, Obasanjo should move quickly to pick his successor from the areas mentioned. There is no doubt that he has confidants from these areas. If he decides to choose from the South-East, that is fine, he is equally surrounded by capable South Easterners. One thing I am sure the President has learnt from the ill-fated third term, is that democracy is purely a game of numbers.You've got to go to where the votes are. Again, like third term, it is the people of Nigeria who will have the final say on who will lead them from 2007.
[/b][/font]

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 3:31pm On Apr 11, 2013
I KNOW THAT UNITY ISNT FEASIBLE WITH PEOPLE LIKE AGBONTEA IN IGBOLAND... WE HAVE SONS OF EFULEFUS AND FELONS AND WE HAVE SONS OF SOIL... AGBONTEA IS NOT IGBO AS HIS NAME SUGGEST HE IS FULL OF LIES,COPY AND PASTE AND DECIET PLS STAT AWAY FROM HIM

I WONDER WHAT HE STANDS TO GAIN IN DISUNITY... IGWE BU IKE

UNITY IS AN UTOPIA JUST LIKE WE HAVE JUDAS AND PETER DENIER SO IS AGBONTEA ET AL

JESUS PRAYED
I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one--as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by sonya4all(m): 4:07pm On Apr 11, 2013
Behold the foolish fool is back again...Imagine pot calling kettle black,copy n paste my foot... Shame on you for re-appearing with your creepy propaganda.Igbon.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by pazienza(m): 12:49am On Apr 12, 2013
tonychristopher: I KNOW THAT UNITY ISNT FEASIBLE WITH PEOPLE LIKE AGBONTEA IN IGBOLAND... WE HAVE SONS OF EFULEFUS AND FELONS AND WE HAVE SONS OF SOIL... AGBONTEA IS NOT IGBO AS HIS NAME SUGGEST HE IS FULL OF LIES,COPY AND PASTE AND DECIET PLS STAT AWAY FROM HIM

I WONDER WHAT HE STANDS TO GAIN IN DISUNITY... IGWE BU IKE

UNITY IS AN UTOPIA JUST LIKE WE HAVE JUDAS AND PETER DENIER SO IS AGBONTEA ET AL

JESUS PRAYED
I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one--as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.

Agbontaen opinions doesn't count. With the kingship stool of Owa,holding tight unto the nri ancestry of their ancestor,Odogwu. Ndiigbo have nothing to worry about Owa.

Bini wannabes would be sent to bini,the land of their ancestors,in due time.

So,nwanne, biko don't ever call any ika son a fake igbo again,the bini elements in owa are but vocal minorities with no influence.
All they have working for them is their voice,allow them have it.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 7:53pm On Apr 12, 2013
1. your lies are too numerous , yeah obi efeizomor is bearing a bini name , i should think he should have been nriemeke , and his grand father was obi obaigbena whose father was okundaiye whose father was igbeoba all bini names, .
2. obi efeizomor of owa is sitting on a bini modelled throne of obiship from father to son , which is uselu style ,and has a crown prince called edaiken no owa , which is also benin names.
3. owa has three levels of chieftancy called ohaimen , town , palace and hereditory chiefs, these are all taken from benin.
4. the obi efeizomor of owa performs the igue , ikaba, ineh, ibiewere festivals just like the oba of benin and dances the bini style uje.
5. the obi of owa traditional dressess are just like that of the oba , and his chiefs goes by benin titles like esama, iyase, ologboshere, ineh, ihaza, ihama, ojeyangbe , ozomor, obaseki and others , all though we also have some igbo titles that are not significant in owa kingdom , it is the bini style chiefs that have real function .
6. for your igbo information there are many hereditory titles in owa kingdom that goes from father to son and the obi cannot dethrone such chief like ihaza, and others , like olihe-ovia , and the ighogbes,i think this is too much for igbo people as they do not have an idea of what an obi is , they think obi is igwe and they dont even know or have different levels of chiefs but thanks to the british that helped igbo people to creat their warrant chiefs that they have now turned to igwes in every corner , even in lagos igbos have eze ndi igbo , a king in another mans land , that goes to show the mind set of igbos as per kingship.
7. the obi of owa said owa has both benin and igbo migration in some books he published , but long ago in 1913 and 1930 british intelligence report they have said that owa has both edo and igbo migration ,
8. in 1999 the most authoritative book written by support of all owa indegenes when the obi was to celebrate his 50 years on the throne , and that is the only book on owa history benin sold at the royal palace of owa, it said that owa was founded by adagba from ikoha in ovia in benin ,before others came , and that edogun /ogdogun the prince from ute met benin /ishan people in owa -oyibu ,
9. in owa we do not say odogwu like you igbos but we say odogun and the name of the first obi of owa was odogun or edogun , it is you igbos that is always trying to bring confussion and ute history has two versions of odogun , one says he was from benin and another says he was from nri .
10. on record the first obi of owa was odogun, after was my ancestor igbedigin no gidigan, next was ewodo, next was ewuare ,next was ozolua, next was orghogbua and so on and so forth and they all had benin names,even the children of obi igbedigin had benins names as far back as the 13th century like ibiuzugbe, omoroge, omigie, ovwiagbon, imade, imansuen, igbedion, ehiabor , agbontaen , ojezua and others too numerous to answer ,
11. my family history in owa dates back to early 13th century , so i am a descendant of owa royalty and i know who we are .
12. most igbos on this site can be very funny , obi efeizomor of owa is a very prominent king in ika and delta , old midwest and if he is truely igbo and he does not belong to ohaneze ndigbo , so does that not mean he is not concous of his ethnicity ? it is like saying a full yoruba king does not belong to egbe omo oduduwa or afenifere , can that happen, i think most igbo people live in their invented world and so they can say whatever they want to say .
13. yes the obi efeizomor of owa supported igbo and yet he was the one who sheltered general muritala and assisted him in chasing away biafra from ika land during the civil war .
14. this same obi was declared wanted dead or alive by biafra during the war , because he did not support them and he , along side the obi of agbor, umunede and many ika kings declared that they are not igbos,
15. why are the igbos always crying more than the bereaved ? ika chased you out during biafra, and right now no ika king is a member of ohaneze ndigbo , is that not enough signal and many ika people dont want to get near igbo people or their organisation ,
16. ika does not need igbo , we have what it takes to survive in nigeria , and we have intellects, oil, and agriculture and a clear method of ruling ourselves ,and we are making head way in nigeria in all fields , and we are not crying maginalisation ,
17. if many people reject being igbo , then there is some thing wrong with your ethnicity or it is outdated or not of great value , so please go else where and look for converts for your igbo nation , ika people are not interested.
18. my igbo propagandists , ika people can marry ika people , and many ika kings married from ika or edo or anioma area SO GO AND READ THE ARTICLE WELL , WHAT THE IGBODO PEOPLE SAID WAS THAT THEIR TRADITION SAYS OBI OF IGBODO MUST MARRY HIS FIRST WIFE FROM IGBODO OR IN IKA OR ANIOMA AREAS , AND SO THE IGBO WOMAN WAS NOT QUALIFIED , AND THEY THREW HER OUT SHIKENA.
OBI gbenoba of agbor was born by an ejeme woman , and so if you know ika history you will know intermarriage exists amongst those we feel have same culture with us .the obi of abavo has just married an ukwani woman ,
19. all these wikipaedia stories and stories you copy from internet will not help you to make an ika man to become igbo
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 8:01pm On Apr 12, 2013
1. igbos are full of lies and propaganda and i wonder why they are running away from the issue , did ika majority support igbo or declare they are igbo during the war ? the answer is that ika majority declared they are not igbo and did not support igbo but the nigeria troops.
2. is any ika king a member of ohaneze ndigbo ? the answer is no.
3. which organisation do they belong to ? they belong to ogua/onu ika .
4. which ethnicity does ika people say they belong to ? is it igbo or bini ? the answer is ika ethnic group,never has any ika said they are bini or igbo but we are of ika ethnic group.
5. yes we trace the histories of our first founding fathers to bini and edo areas, but we also acknowledge the migration of igbos and other groups into ika , and ika is a heterogenous community with different people coming from different places and bringing their tradition to bear on ika ethnicity.
6/ we are forging ahead and no igbo propaganda can make ika majority accept igbo ethnicity unless igbos want to become ika , we will welcome them because their ethnicity no longer has the neccessary power to sway people
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 8:57pm On Apr 12, 2013
agbotaen: but we also acknowledge the migration of igbos and other groups into ika , and [b]ika is a heterogenous community with different people [/b]coming from different places and bringing their tradition to bear on ika ethnicity.

stop shooting yourself on the foot...onye ara
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by pazienza(m): 12:17am On Apr 13, 2013
agbotaen: 1. igbos are full of lies and propaganda and i wonder why they are running away from the issue , did ika majority support igbo or declare they are igbo during the war ? the answer is that ika majority declared they are not igbo and did not support igbo but the nigeria troops.
2. is any ika king a member of ohaneze ndigbo ? the answer is no.
3. which organisation do they belong to ? they belong to ogua/onu ika .
4. which ethnicity does ika people say they belong to ? is it igbo or bini ? the answer is ika ethnic group,never has any ika said they are bini or igbo but we are of ika ethnic group.
5. yes we trace the histories of our first founding fathers to bini and edo areas, but we also acknowledge the migration of igbos and other groups into ika , and ika is a heterogenous community with different people coming from different places and bringing their tradition to bear on ika ethnicity.
6/ we are forging ahead and no igbo propaganda can make ika majority accept igbo ethnicity unless igbos want to become ika , we will welcome them because their ethnicity no longer has the neccessary power to sway people

All these dogoturenchi,yet the obi remains nri. Haha!

You must be suffering from profound mental retardation. Efeizomor answering a bini name,is equivalent to nigerians answering english names today,it doesn't mean our ancestors were english. It only means that our fathers got colonized by british. Same thing is applicable to ika, bini was once an imperial power,ika got colonized,and borrowed from bini style of government,just like nigeria in her early days,borrowed the british parlimentary system of government. It doesn't make us english.

Owa majority accepts nri ancestory, obi of owa is the custodian of Owa culture,and should know better. A reasonable person like me,would accept his judgement,over that of a bini migrant like agbontaen.

Thank you.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 1:10pm On Apr 13, 2013
1. why run away from my question ,why did obi efeizomor assist muritala is chasing igbo people out of ika land during the civil war , if he knows he is an nri man or did he just wake up to know his nri root?
2. why did biafra declare him wanted dead or alive during the civil war ?
3. why is he not a member of ohaneze ndigbo or any major igbo ethnic group meetings? the man knows he is an owa ika man, not an igbon oh sorry igbo man .
4. whether you igbos like or do not like ika is an ethnic group and no proper ika person wants to associate with igbos in their so called ethnicity.
5. the culture of owa and igbo or ika and igbo are just too different , and your people should be ashamed claiming a people that does not want to associate with you , your lineage is an oseka lineage , even in igbodo where some of them claim to be igbo , they chased out an igbo woman from their palace because she was not from igbodo as tradition insists and is not from ika or anioma area.
6. decades after the civil war , all owa people are still keeping a distance from igbos or their ethnic group or meetings , these are lists of some prominent owa people and none of them says he is igbo or belong to igbo ethnic group-------
1. nduka obaigbena- publisher thisday newspaper , who was even granted an interview by newyork times and he said he is from ika ethnic group( nduka is grandson of obi steven ikoko obaigbena of owa ,who is also grand father of obi efeizomor , that makes nduka a prince of owa )
2. nduka irabor , journalist and former house of reps .member and presently chairman of NFF ,COmmitte on footbal
3. major general usiade ,retired , former director army accounts, also a prince as he is the son of isreal ayetin usiade ,who was a son of obi obaigbena
4. DEPUTY INSPECTOR GENERAL of police ugbaja , the chief ozomor of owa kingdom
5. senator ifeanyi okowa- delta north district and a chief in owa , former secretary delta state
6. major general ugo buzugbe ,from ogbe ohun village a descendant of obi igbedigin , he is now secretary of nigeria army.
7. DR.okobia duke - provost college of education in agbor
8. major general frank osokogun rretired
9. kingsley emu , commissioner for commerce delta state
10. professor igbogbor
11. professor kester echenim
12. professor victor osaigbovou
13. professor kester olomu
14. professor j. okoh
15. colonel mike ebie,
16. brig.general iruh,
17. Deputy commissioner of police omire
18. assistant commissioner of police kuti okoro omigie
19. sam ebonka , former deputy governor delta state,
20, joseph okojere , director ,delta ministry of agric,
21. primate dikenriehi orogodo okoh - of anglican church
22. edobor igunbor agbogun - delta sate , director lands office ,
23. edaiken ( crown prince of owa ) solomon efeizomor ,
and many more others of owa origin , very prominent people and yet they are not any where near igbo ethnic meetings , so i think the igbos on this net should be ashamed as your igbo ethnicity is no longer marketable, i will advice those that bear or believe in it to keep , but dont make the mistake of bringing it near ika people as you will only attract scorn, i as most ika people do not view igbos in positive light ,
my origin in owa is not in doubt as my lineage is a very major lineage having been born into the lineage of prince omigie , son of obi igbedigin, i am also the son of the great prince osunhon of owa kingdom and my family is spread round almost all owa towns , villages and quarters, even up to edo state.
i am proudly owa/ika ethnicity and an igbo or igbon,
igbos are just rabble rousers and oyioros , you know what it means oro is to shout in ika and oyioro means those that cry , and i dont think any ika person wants to associate himself with such an ethnicity .

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 1:19pm On Apr 13, 2013
igbos can continue to fool them selves on the internet , as each village in owa has their own perculiar migratory story and owa -alero , one of the towns that make up owa has just brought out their own.
2. ika ethnicity has gained ground and if igbo is that important, why is it that it is the igbos that are always saying this one is igbo and that one is igbo , please face it your igbo ethnicity has failed and its dyeing and it will die very soon, i really think it is an expired milk .
3. the igbos are just looking for relivance and population every where so that they can win elections and rule nigeria , but the way they are going about it , they might just fail again, as people can vote for you , irrespective of your ethnicity if they believe in you and it is not by trying to force your ethnicity on others that you can win,or are you looking for power and relevance ?
ika people in their majority will never follow igbos , no matter the campaign of calumny they engage in , as igbos have a negative aura around them in ika land , and may be they should try and clean it up, even up till now most ika families do not like their daughters to marry igbo men , so igbos still have lots of work to do ,inorder to clear their aura amongst ika people

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 11:38am On Apr 15, 2013
@ agbotaen: son of benin migrant and felon talk for yourself not for other ikas cos they have chastised and abandoned you in orher forms and here can you be a man and taklk for urself pls.

IF I LIE, GO TO OTHER FORUM BY CLICKING agbotaen AND YOU WILL SEE HOW LOW THIS MAN HAS FALLEN.... AGBONTEAN OR WHAT YOU CALL YOURSELF IS NOT AN IGBO AND HIS NAME SHOWS THAT, PLS IF IKA ARE NOT IGBO WHAT IS THE NAMES OF IKA KINGS FROM AGBOR TO OWA, WHAT IS DEIN OR DEE IN OWERRI PLS ASK AN OWERRI MAN

WELL IN EVER 12 THERE MUST BE JUDAS AND THOMAS AND WE MUST HAVE A BLACK SHEEP IN EVERY FAMILY. AGBONTEA HAS DECIDED ON THAT PART TO PERDITION AND DAMNATION.... SO BE IT
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 11:42am On Apr 15, 2013
THIS IS HOW THIS AGBONTEA HAS FALLEN PLS I GIVE YOU REGRENCES AS A RESEARCH AND THIS SON OF A BENIN FELON AND BENIN WANNA BE REGURGITATES

PLS CLICK HERE AND LAUGH AT HIS STUPIDITY

https://www.nairaland.com/396437/history-ika-people-umunede/3#14445671
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 11:44am On Apr 15, 2013

(1) (2) (3) ... (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) ... (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 233
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.