Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,809 members, 7,834,714 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 06:40 PM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (90) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (245283 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) ... (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bokohalal(m): 12:16pm On Aug 04, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli: We

Hahahaha...I tell ya,you are so dumb! The part of Ika that's disclaiming Igbo can't even defeat the real Ika-Igbo, talk more of the great Igbo nation that fought a bloody and brutal war with the nation of nigeria and their western allies for close to three years! Dude,you are so myopic. And by the way,the title of the thread says "Delta Igbo",which makes me wonder what a Benin goon like you is doing here. I don't see any Igbo coming into your benin thread to disrupt it. Please,leave this thread and be gone,for good. You aren't needed here,p'unk!
The Jewish nation is in the midst of hostile Arab countries. It is not by size or population. Grab?. If not,wait till you cannot grab Ika bullets when the time for landgrabbing comes.
You did not see me here till you mentioned BENIN,BINI or EDO and negatively,too. Keep those names off your spurious historical radar and you will be absolutely fine. Is it possible?
I do not think so. Those names will always haunt you once you mention IKA or ANIOMA.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bokohalal(m): 12:32pm On Aug 04, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Yea. Its true. Read the post in quote below by a delta igbo daughter and the source link:

www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-28170.html
The kind of talk at Alaba or Evbareke markets that are bandied about as facts. Who believes them? We know who. Edo marketwomen would have done better than this. Shame. Really ashamed. I have too many Igbo friends to start seeing Igbos differently. But you,small francis,I have taken to the cleaners before so I know your level.

The Omo n Oba's first daughter is by an 'Igbo' woman.
The spokesperson at the palace of the Oba of Benin is an Asaba woman.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 1:01pm On Aug 04, 2013
bokohalal:
The kind of talk at Alaba or Evbareke markets that are bandied about as facts. Who believes them? We know who. Edo marketwomen would have done better than this. Shame. Really ashamed. I have too many Igbo friends to start seeing Igbos differently. But you,small francis,I have taken to the cleaners before so I know your level.

The Omo n Oba's first daughter is by an 'Igbo' woman.
The spokesperson at the palace of the Oba of Benin is an Asaba woman.

Lolz. Well-grown bini man. With all the overhyped Bini kingship, so-called influence, self-praising and bloating you give to the Bini/Edo and whatnot, one would expect them to be popularly known over the world. Bini/Edo are not even known beyond the shores of Nigeria. In the diaspora, the two popular Nigerian tribes foreigners know and are likely to ask you which you belong to are Igbo and Yoruba. The so-called prominence and importance of Edo starts and ends in Edo state. Even Urhobo and Isoko who speak dialects of Edo distance themselves from you guys despite your so-called overhyped Edoness. What's special about being from Edo, or having Bini ancestry anyway, apart from the Kingship system that was practised in the past? Tell me what you people even contribute to Nigeria? Absolutely nothing. You hang around here supporting the Ika-to-Bini wannabes in their self delusion and quest to join Edo because of the importance they are attaching to Edo. That makes you feel so good.

The Bini language is endangered and fast dying away. Barely 40% of the Bini people can speak their language. Over 60% cannot converse in Bini. I have had 16 Bini/Esan friends since secondary school to date and just 1 could speak Edo. The rest have no idea of Edo. A people who aren't proud of their language, who favour pidgin speaking over their native language. The same so-called Bini that these ika-bini-wannabees claim allegiance to. A people who aren't proud of their own language but yet go around speaking only English and Pidgin English, up to the extent that currently many of the old and elderly in Bini land today never spoke Bini or had Bini spoken to them by their parents. In Edo state monarchy meetings, when the Oba of Bini meets Oba of Esan land, instead of communicating in Edo-Esan or a hybrid of both dialects(I recognize them as dialects even though the natives see both as separate languages), they communicate instead in English! Edo language teachers who call themselves experts in Edo language but yet cannot teach in Edo language. Instead, they write the Edo names and forms on the board, translate it to pidgin to the children and teach in pidgin.

I remember the Edo proverb thread of yours which you created sometime ago where you called on Bini people to come out in mass numbers and contribute Edo proverbs. I went through all the 4 pages and virtually all the posts were only by you. Nobody else. No other Edo person could contribute as they have not even the slightest idea of Edo, how much more speaking it and even blowing proverbs. Your edo-language-proverb project failed woefully. If just only one person out of the hundreds of Edo members on NL knows the Edo language, then the language dearth situation must be very pathetic indeed. Watch so-called Edo language movies, the actors and actresses speak English in the movie more than Edo.

Instead of you dedicating your time and energy towards the revival of your dying language, you're here poke-nosing into the affairs of 'Delta Igbos' when the thread doesn't concern an inch about Edo.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by sonya4all(m): 2:10pm On Aug 04, 2013
this small silly Francis you are just a waste of space.so it's your igbo language that is not dying abi. the fake pigeon spoken in the east was copied from warri and Benin.I stay in the east and you dare not deceive your self that igbo language is finished. where parents teach their kids just English. only for the kids to grow up and adopt pigeon English. anu mpam.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bokohalal(m): 2:19pm On Aug 04, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Lolz. Well-grown bini man. With all the overhyped Bini kingship, so-called influence, self-immolation and bloating you give to the Bini/Edo and whatnot, you expect them to be popularly known over the world. Bini/Edo are not even known beyond the shores of Nigeria. In the diaspora, the two popular Nigerian tribes foreigners know and are likely to ask you which you belong to are Igbo and Yoruba. The so-called prominence and importance of Edo ends in Edo state. Even Urhobo and Isoko who speak dialects of Edo distance themselves from you guys despite your so-called overhyped Edoness. What's special about being from Edo, or having Bini ancestry anyway, apart from the Kingship system that was practised in the past? Tell me what you people even contribute to Nigeria? Absolutely nothing. You hang around here supporting the Ika-to-Bini wannabes in their self delusion and quest to join Edo because of the importance they are attaching to Edo. That makes you feel so good.

The Bini language is endangered and fast dying away. Barely 40% of the Bini people can speak their language. Over 60% cannot converse in Bini. I have had 16 Bini/Esan friends since secondary school to date and just 1 one could speak Edo. The rest have no idea of Edo. A people who aren't proud of their language, who favour pidgin speaking over their native language. The same so-called Bini that these ika-bini-wannabees claim allegiance to. A people who aren't proud of their own language but yet go around speaking only English and Pidgin English, up to the extent that currently many of the old and elderly in Bini land today never spoke Bini or had Bini spoken to them by their parents. In Edo state monarchy meetings, when the Oba of Bini meets Oba of Esan land, instead of communicating in Edo-Esan or a hybrid of both dialects(I recognize them as dialects even though the natives see both as separate languages), they communicate instead in English! Edo language teachers who call themselves experts in Edo language but yet cannot teach in Edo language. Instead, they write the Edo names and forms on the board, translate it to pidgin to the children and teach in pidgin.

I remember the Edo proverb thread of yours which you created sometime ago where you called on Bini people to come out in mass numbers and contribute Edo proverbs. I went through all the 4 pages and virtually all the posts were only by you. Nobody else. No other Edo person could contribute as they have not even the slightest idea of Edo, how much more speaking it and even blowing proverbs. Your edo-language-proverb project failed woefully. If just only one person out of the hundreds of Edo members on NL knows the Edo language, then the language dearth situation must be very pathetic indeed. Watch so-called Edo language movies, the actors and actresses speak English in the movie more than Edo.

Instead of you dedicating your time and energy towards the revival of your dying language, you're here poke-nosing into the affairs of 'Delta Igbos' when the thread doesn't concern an inch about Edo.

My mama die long ago. I don stop to dey cry.
You no stop.
One Benin mask is better known than anything Igbo will ever achieve.
Benin Empire is discussed/taught during black history month.
It is appalling the number of Edos that speak the language fluently. But it is not perculiar to us. If anything,the Bini adherence to age long tradition in the wave of westernisation will make the language survive longer than Igbo and many other Nigerian languages before going extinct. Our Oba has not turned christian or muslim yet.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 4:47pm On Aug 04, 2013
Lolz. Well, I'm glad you accepted that your language dearth is appalling. Now please go and do something about it and stay off Igbo issues.grin grin

Mr. Bini, I've got an assignment for you. Why don't you go start a thread or something teaching Edo folks Edo or something? Ain't that better and worthwhile than coming here to poke-nose into Igbo affairs? With your acclaimed wealth of knowledge of Edo language and proverbs, you shouldn't let that die with you. Or isn't that selfish of you?undecided

Any thread on anything Igbo on nairaland always attracts people, attention and furor. We must truly be somebody indeed. cheesy
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bokohalal(m): 5:14pm On Aug 04, 2013
bigfrancis21: Lolz. Well, I'm glad you accepted that your language dearth is appalling. Now please go and do something about it and stay off Igbo issues.grin grin

Mr. Bini, I've got an assignment for you. Why don't you go start a thread or something teaching Edo folks Edo or something? Ain't that better and worthwhile than coming here to poke-nose into Igbo affairs? With your acclaimed wealth of knowledge of Edo language and proverbs, you shouldn't let that die with you. Or isn't that selfish of you?undecided

Any thread on anything Igbo on nairaland always attracts people, attention and furor. We must truly be somebody indeed. cheesy

You still dey cry?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 5:16pm On Aug 04, 2013
sonya4all: this small silly Francis you are just a waste of space.so it's your igbo language that is not dying abi. the fake pigeon spoken in the east was copied from warri and Benin.I stay in the east and you dare not deceive your self that igbo language is finished. where parents teach their kids just English. only for the kids to grow up and adopt pigeon English. anu mpam.

Yea. Many Igbo parents teach their children English, most of these children later grow up to speak impeccable Igbo. I am an example. I was brought up with English but speak fluent Igbo now as an adult. I know countless others like me. That said alone, Igbo language isn't anywhere close to dying. On the other hand, all the Edo people I've come across are adults who don't speak Edo or one word of it. They grow up from kids into adulthood to old men/women without speaking Edo. On the other hand, its hard to find an Igbo adult who can't speak Igbo.

Thank God the UNESCO did warn about the Igbo situation. It served to make the Igbo people give more attention to their language. I guess if Igbo language wasn't much of a global and world-recognized language, they wouldn't have given it such attention. smiley Or maybe, they value the Igbo language, a language of old in existence since 9AD, so much that they don't want it to experience even a little of death. Currently, the number of Igbo speakers stand at, at least, 35 million, while the total Igbo population (in Nigeria, US, UK, China, SA, Ghana, Cameroon, Canada etc) stands at 40 million. About 2 million or so are the descendants of Igbo migrants who have long become permanent citizens in America, UK, and other foreign countries. Those are the people UNESCO seems to focus on when they talk about the Igbo situation while they ignore the Japanese situation in America where virtually all 2nd and 3rd generation american japanese have no idea of japanese, and don't speak it. Oh, lest I forget, Igbo is a recognized language in Equatorial Guinea. smiley

But the Edo situation is different. The adults don't speak Edo, never spoke it, and don't show any interest in speaking it. They are only Edo by name. Instead, they use pidgin English for everything, even to communicate at home. It is very rare to see an Igbo family in Igboland using pidgin to communicate at home. Its usually only Igbo, or Igbo and English together. You can only find English being used more especially in disaporic Igbo homes . But the same can't be said for Edo.

Well, honestly when I read of the situation, I felt quite bad about it. Something should be done. And the Edo Obas, elders and monarchs seem to be content with the situation. A growing trend whereby the few remaining Edo speakers will bear kids and surely raise them in pidgin, thus killing their language the more and further reducing the number of Edo language speakers.

Well, I have a solution. The solution is simple. Create a central Edo dialect out of the 12 Edoid dialects in Edo, just as central Igbo was created out of the several diverse igbo dialects. Adopt it as the official dialect in Edo state, whereby someone from Etsako will use it to communicate with someone from Owan east rather than using Pidgin or English as done previously. Such central edo will serve to bind all groups together and make them see themselves as one.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 5:17pm On Aug 04, 2013
bokohalal:

You still dey cry?

About what?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Idunobaehis(m): 10:46pm On Aug 04, 2013
bigfrancis21: Lolz. Well, I'm glad you accepted that your language dearth is appalling. Now please go and do something about it and stay off Igbo issues.grin grin

;->
he has the right to air his view in a delta/bendel thread. Or doesnt he? In all Igbo threads I never saw any Edo or Ika person disrupting it but the Igbos like disrupting Ika/benin threads.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Idunobaehis(m): 11:44pm On Aug 04, 2013
bigfrancis21: You might be an Igbo man

1.If your name is Chukwuemeka,Nneka or Ifeanyi

2.If your children are umu

3.your market days are eke,oye/orie,afor and nkwo

4.If you hold an annual new yam festival

5.Your cloth is akwa

6.If your masquerades are called "Nmanwu" and
your wives are "Nwunye"

You might just be an Igboman

7.when everything about you screams Igbo

8.your countrymen call you Igbo

9.Chukwu is your God

and finally

10. your land is "ani" and "oma" is your good

Ka Chineke mezie okwu.
unfortunately for you, 90% of the criteria for being an igbo you listed up there are not in Ika:
1. The same Ika people that bear ifeanyi also bear Isibor, Obanor, Irabor etc.
2. Its only about 3 clans in Ika that call children umu. The Abavos and Agbors say mmu, the Owas and sorounding kingdoms say omu and Umunede was initialy called Omoede before the british came and anglicised it. Till date the Ikas stil call them Umode, Mmode or Omode depending on the speaker, dats a proof to the fact that the Ikas once called childdren omo. Child is Omo in benin. The Ikas and Binis call baby Omomo.
3. The four marjet days in Ika is Eken, Oriel, afor, Ogbe.
4. The Ikas celebrates New Yam Festival. New yam festival is not exclusive to the igbos, some edo villages celebrate it. Though Ikas celebrate it in a similar way with the igbos.
5. Masquerade is called egungun in Ika language. Besides, Ikas dont do masquerade.
6. Wife in Ika language is oyenmen. Oyemen is used interchangably with mgba with mgba being the most popular among the youths, oyemen is popular among the elders and church interpreters or any other official gathering or meeting. Mwunye is rarely used.
7. Clothes is Ewuru in Ika language.
8. God is Oselobue/Osenobue in Ika language.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 11:46pm On Aug 04, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:
;->
he has the right to air his view in a delta/bendel thread. Or doesnt he? In all Igbo threads I never saw any Edo or Ika person disrupting it but the Igbos like disrupting Ika/benin threads.

I think the issue here is lack of understanding on the part of the non-Igbos. It is Agbotaen that has been dragging Edo/Bini into this Igbo discussion. I think it is best if Ikas prefer not to join the Igbo bandwagon to quietly dissociate themselves from anything Anioma. There are some people of Igala origin like Ebu and Yoruba like Ukwu Nzu who have accepted joining the Igbo bandwagon while their origin is known. Stephen Okechukwu Keshi is from the Ukwu Nzu area. It is of no use accepting a betraying brother when others are willing to work with you better. Ikas might betray the Anioma dreams and I believe it is in the interest of Anioma to hold a referendum before accepting those who are like bat that neither belong to air nor land.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:05am On Aug 05, 2013
bokohalal:
The Jewish nation is in the midst of hostile Arab countries. It is not by size or population. Grab?. If not,wait till you cannot grab Ika bullets when the time for landgrabbing comes.
You did not see me here till you mentioned BENIN,BINI or EDO and negatively,too. Keep those names off your spurious historical radar and you will be absolutely fine. Is it possible?
I do not think so. Those names will always haunt you once you mention IKA or ANIOMA.

Did this goat-head just say Igbo history is "spurious" ? What about your Benin history ?? I will address you,much later. Oh,its on!
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:42am On Aug 05, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:
;->

But this isn't a Bendel/Delta thread I am sure you can read. And I challenge you to show me a an Edo/Benin thread where the Igbo barged in and disrupted it. I challenge you because we don't give a ffuck about Benin and their over-hyped culture. We go there,behave civil and reasonable.. And I never heard anything like "Ika/Beniin". Dude,the Oba of Benin even denied you! That must hurt... grin
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Idunobaehis(m): 12:42am On Aug 05, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:
It is difficult to say how many languages there are, since nobody has been able to decide exactly what makes one language different from it's near neighbour.
Dutch for instance, is spoken in Neatherlands, but in nearby Belgium the Flemish language is spoken, which some people say is simply a variation of the same tongue.
Experts think that there are about 5,000 languages in the world, but only about thirty of these is of any real importance. English is the most widely-spoken language, but some linguists claim that the honour should be given to Chinese. But Chinese is not one language, for a man from Canton, is unable to converse from, say, Shanghai.
ethnologists and lingusts you people like quoting are themselves confused because they dont know the amount of similarities or differences that will make one language a dialect of another language or a different language. That is where bias, prejudice and individual self conviction comes to play which must always be diverse. This is a very controversial/delicate issue we are with here. Something that got to do with our past and history you people are trying to rewrite thereby calling all our great great great grand fathers and ancestors liars. You got to know where you are coming from for you to knw where you are going to and we have said where we came from and nobody has the right to tell us otherwise cos they were not there when we came there. We dont have the same worldview and No part of Bendel including Anioma is as Busines oriented like the igbos.not even Asaba or even Onitsha that has big markets. That does not mean that we dont do business, we do but we have reputation, prestige and self respect that is why you can never see us wearing torn jeans hawking maggi, matches and other nonsense in the sun and rain or having 50,000 in your pocket and sleep of starvation or soak garri and eventually die of stomach ulcer. Rather, we go into other more profesion/occupation and we always make it big in all our endeavors without having to sufer like the igbos.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 12:49am On Aug 05, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:

unfortunately for you, 90% of the criteria for being an igbo you listed up there are not in Ika:
2. Its only about 3 clans in Ika that call children umu. The Abavos and Agbors say mmu, the Owas and sorounding kingdoms say omu and Umunede was initialy called Omoede before the british came and anglicised it. Till date the Ikas stil call them Umode, Mmode or Omode depending on the speaker, dats a proof to the fact that the Ikas once called childdren omo. Child is Omo in benin. The Ikas and Binis call baby Omomo.
4. The Ikas celebrates New Yam Festival. New yam festival is not exclusive to the igbos, some edo villages celebrate it. Though Ikas celebrate it in a similar way with the igbos.
5. Masquerade is called egungun in Ika language. Besides, Ikas dont do masquerade.
6. Wife in Ika language is oyenmen. Oyemen is used interchangably with mgba with mgba being the most popular among the youths, oyemen is popular among the elders and church interpreters or any other official gathering or meeting. Mwunye is rarely used.

1) Those ones with Isibo, Irabor as names are the descendants of the Edo migrants who are few in number. And the ones with Ifeanyi, Nneka are the indigenous Ika-Igbo people. Ndi nwe ana.

2) It might interest you that some Igbo groups also say 'omu'. Umuguma people in Owerri west say 'Omu'. Their village names are usually spelt 'Omuojukwu' or 'Omudiala'. They say 'omunwanyi' instead of 'Umunwanyi'. The ikwerre also use 'omu'. For example, the 'Omuokiri' community involved in the Aluu incident. This 'omu' phenomenon is more common among Rivers Igbos and few Abia communities. The Omuma LGA(anglicized Omuma by the British) is actually 'Omumma' or 'Umumma' rather in central Igbo. I'm very much aware that the Ika use 'umu', 'umun', or 'nmu' respectively. That doesn't change the fact that all are variations of 'Umu'.

3) The Ika use the same 4 market days with Igbo.

4) The Ika celebrate new yam festivals and attach much significance to it just like other bia-speaking groups.

5) You mean the 'Egwugwu' masquerade? A popular Igbo masquerade which you guys pronounce nasally with an n attached to it such that it sounds 'egwungwun?

6) Mr. John Onyeche PhD, an Ika son, stated in his research that the Ika people say 'Nwunye' and not 'Nyemen' or whatever. And I choose to go with his publication. Ika-Igbos also use 'Mgba' which is a very old Igbo word for wife or girl, no longer common today. I guess you've heard of Okeke, Okorie, Okafor and Okonkwo which are names given to boys to indicate which day of the Igbo 4-calendar week they were born. Oko + Eke (Okorobia Eke) = Man born on Eke. Same for the rest. For females, mgba is used. Mgba Eke (female born on Eke day). Mgbeke is a very popula Igbo name, which of course you can't deny. There are Mgbaorie, Mgbafor and Mgbenkwo - names all used to signify the day of the week the 'Mgba' was born. In conclusion, Mgba is not a word unique to the Ikas. Some Igbo people still use it, especially in the villages. Its fast falling out of contemporary usage anyway.

7) The same Mr. Onyeche said Ika use 'akwa' or 'ekwa' instead.

8.) Ika people use Oselobue, Chukwu and Chi alternatively. Its evident in your names. Chioma, Chukwudifu, Chidinma. All too glaring.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 1:01am On Aug 05, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:

ethnologists and lingusts you people like quoting are themselves confused because they dont know the amount of similarities or differences that will make one language a dialect of another language or a different language. That is where bias, prejudice and individual self conviction comes to play which must always be diverse. This is a very controversial/delicate issue we are with here. Something that got to do with our past and history you people are trying to rewrite thereby calling all our great great great grand fathers and ancestors liars. You got to know where you are coming from for you to knw where you are going to and we have said where we came from and nobody has the right to tell us otherwise cos they were not there when we came there. We dont have the same worldview and No part of Bendel including Anioma is as Busines oriented like the igbos.not even Asaba or even Onitsha that has big markets. That does not mean that we dont do business, we do but we have reputation, prestige and self respect that is why you can never see us wearing torn jeans hawking maggi, matches and other nonsense in the sun and rain or having 50,000 in your pocket and sleep of starvation or soak garri and eventually die of stomach ulcer. Rather, we go into other more profesion/occupation and we always make it big in all our endeavors without having to sufer like the igbos.

Flemish is a dialect of the Dutch language and it is stated thus on international websites and publications. It is the dialect of Dutch spoken in Belgium and is also called 'Belgian Dutch'. Dutch is spoken in Netherlands and is also called, 'Netherland Dutch'. Just as we have Asaba Igbo, Owerri Igbo, Awka Igbo, Ika Igbo etc used to refer to the various dialects of the same Igbo language. Netherland Dutch is also called 'General Dutch' as compared to Beligan Dutch just as we have Onicha Igbo and General Igbo.

Please read:

Flemish or Belgian Dutch (Belgisch-Nederlands is the Dutch language as spoken in Flanders, the northern part of Belgium,[1][2][3] be it standard (as used in schools, government and the media)[4] or informal (as used in daily speech).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flemish

Officially, Belgium has 3 official languages: French, German and Dutch. They recognize Dutch as official language and not Flemish, despite Flemish being spoken in Belgium, since Flemish is a dialect of Dutch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgium
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:22am On Aug 05, 2013
bokohalal:

Look at this gullible fellow; I bet you don't know that America has a budget mapped out for the support of Israel in the middle east. Yeah,Israel defeated the Arab with knife and spoons. Why do you think the republican is fighting Obama over his stance on Israel ?? I will have you know that without American and the western support Israel would have been history. If Israel is so powerful why didn't they overcome Hitler ?? Dude,get in the house and close the door! And yes,whenever Ika is discussed the Edo/Benin will come up because Ika has large amount of migrants from there and Benin also influenced Ika,especially in the area of Kingship. But all and sundry know Ika is indisputable and Igbo settlement! This is a historical fact!
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 1:23am On Aug 05, 2013
Like I've noted earlier, each time these people write Ika, I see Owerri in it. Are Oratta people related to people that live in Ika?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:40am On Aug 05, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:

Yam is an Igbo staple crop which have rituals originating from the most sacred and oldest kingdom in Nigeria,NRI KINGDOM. We have yam deities in Igboland,they are only planted by men and yam is the symbol of wealth in ancient Igboland. We also have chietaincy title made for men who has prospered in yam farming like "Okotalukwe","Ichie Diji","Ezeoba" and more. Yam festival is an exclusive Igbo tradition and any community that celebrates has origin in Igboland.

Ogwugwu and Ikenga are Igbo deities which has been adopted by the Igala,Idoma,Uhrobo and some others but these deities were established in these communities by the Nri "Mburuchi" and settlers.

Eke,oye,afor,nkwo were originaly four Nri deities which were worshipped on four different days and eventually these days were named after them and that's how the Igbo days of the week started and spread around and the Benin even adopted and used it. I'm not forcing anybody to be Igbo but the truth must stand.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsQED(m): 1:44am On Aug 05, 2013
There are some comments on this thread over the last few pages from some non-Edo posters that are specifically about the Edo and some of these are inaccurate claims that are just speculation from people who aren't interested in doing any investigation for themselves, so I don't think there's really a point to responding to each of those claims in detail.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 1:45am On Aug 05, 2013
Afikpo dialect.

Ehugbo Omaka Ejali mma mma nu
Aho jee laa oo. Ihie nriri nojum eho oo
Nde iro jee laa oo, Ihie nriri no jum eho oo
Gari daridee oo, okuku daridee oo
Ewu darideo oo, ihie ohe daridee oo
NA ONWO KWE ONYE JI JA AGBA EGBE OO!!

I believe Ika has a lot in common with Ehugbo and Owerri Igbo dialects. I need all honesty from a real Ika to list words in their dialect for

1-Eho which is stomach in Ehugbo

2-Ohe which is soup in Ehugbo

3 Aho which is year in Ehugbo

4 Ali which is land in Ehugbo
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsQED(m): 1:46am On Aug 05, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:
And I challenge you to show me a an Edo/Benin thread where the Igbo barged in and disrupted it.

This wasn't addressed to me, but a very easy example I remember is honeric01's "Proudly Bini Names And Meaning" thread where you barged in and posted disruptive comments under your alternate moniker 'NRI PRIEST'. Your posts in that thread are edited now, but I remember how you disrupted the thread.

This is not to say that your behavior in that thread has any bearing on whether most Igbo in general would behave as you behaved and barge into such a thread and disrupt it.

Anyway, some of the comments in this thread were specifically about the Edo, so obviously some Edo posters will comment.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bokohalal(m): 2:04am On Aug 05, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

Look at this gullible fellow; I bet you don't know that America has a budget mapped out for the support of Israel in the middle east. Yeah,Israel defeated the Arab with knife and spoons. Why do you think the republican is fighting Obama over his stance on Israel ?? I will have you know that without American and the western support Israel would have been history. If Israel is so powerful why didn't they overcome Hitler ?? Dude,get in the house and close the door! And yes,whenever Ika is discussed the Edo/Benin will come up because Ika has large amount of migrants from there and Benin also influenced Ika,especially in the area of Kingship. But all and sundry know Ika is indisputable and Igbo settlement! This is a historical fact!
Dumb and dumber, who says the United States will not protect Ikaland? Iraq. Yugoslavia.
You keep digging a hole to cover a previous one. It is obvious you cannot reason far ahead.
Do not respond if your response is going to be demolished at a glance. I actually typed this while waitng to pay at a gas station.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bokohalal(m): 2:15am On Aug 05, 2013
Binis have a New Yam festival(Ema Orho,Iyan Orho) and in some communities that is when AKABA comes out to pay visit to homes in the community. Remember a visit to my paternal grandmother's village to witness one of the festivities associated with New Yam. The popular Bini musician,Akabaman, is from that place.
Yet, we are not Igbos!
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bokohalal(m): 2:17am On Aug 05, 2013
Yam is an Edo staple.
Yet, we are not Igbos!
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bokohalal(m): 2:23am On Aug 05, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

But this isn't a Bendel/Delta thread I am sure you can read. And I challenge you to show me a an Edo/Benin thread where the Igbo barged in and disrupted it. I challenge you because we don't give a ffuck about Benin and their over-hyped culture. We go there,behave civil and reasonable.. And I never heard anything like "Ika/Beniin". Dude,the Oba of Benin even denied you! That must hurt... grin
When did a Benin Oba deny the Ikas? Agbontaen has oft repeated how the Ikas argued they were not Binis when the Binis said they were,to the British!
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:27am On Aug 05, 2013
PhysicsQED:

This wasn't addressed to me, but a very easy example I remember is honeric01's "Proudly Bini Names And Meaning" thread where you barged in and posted disruptive comments under your alternate moniker 'NRI PRIEST'. Your posts in that thread are edited now, but I remember how you disrupted the thread.

This is not to say that your behavior in that thread has any bearing on whether most Igbo in general would behave as you behaved and barge into such a thread and disrupt it.

Anyway, some of the comments in this thread were specifically about the Edo, so obviously some Edo posters will comment.

I know the thread you were talking about but I was just being funny there. Well,maybe you didn't find it funny but I never posted there,again. And never made a derideful comments,toward the Edo. On the contrary,your brother here has been insulting the Igbo and I expect you to caution him.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:29am On Aug 05, 2013
bokohalal: Yam is an Edo staple.
Yet, we are not Igbo.

Its not a major staple in Edo and they don't have the deep cultural rituals that sorround it like the Igbo do.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Idunobaehis(m): 2:31am On Aug 05, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

It is a bendel thread because even the Op captioned it so. There is no way you can talk about Anioma without calling Igbo and Benin, so they have the same right as Igbos, even more over anything Anioma.
All the Ika threads that was opened only for Ikas got abandoned because of the insults the Igbos are hipping out on them. This is how your people also did it with Ndokwa/Ukwani and all other Anioma threads. They seem to be attracted to anything Ika, Ukwani and Anioma in order to spread falsehood to unsuspecting general public who come online to get information. On that of the Edo, I rarely visit Edo thread also with Igbo thread, but when I do, I dont comment (both that of Igbo and Edo) even when I see them mention Ika. The few Edo threads I visited I always see Igbos there trying to sow seed-of-discord, especially Mr. Andre Uweh. I dont have time to start posting links now but let me just tel you one: the edo proverb thread created by Bokohalal which, Mr. Bigfrancis made reference is an example.
On Oba of Benin telling Murtala that he should start killing after Abudu because they are Igbos lack credence because there are stil a handful of Bini villages after Abudu and Murtala came to Ikaland as a friend and was welcomed as such. That girl that said she was Ika, which I doubt that Bigfrancis pasted her comment saying Murtala killed Ika people in Ikaland was a big lie. I tried asking some elders about what you people said the Oba told Murtala but I was always told a different thng. I was told that the Oba advised him not to attempt atacking Onitsha from Asaba/Midwest because there was a curse/spell/blesing that was laid/cast their by the Throne that nobody can attack Onitsha from that side of the river and succeed, that was why they failed woefuly on all their attak on Onitsha till they went and passed through a different location before they finally succeeded.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 2:34am On Aug 05, 2013
bigfrancis21:
2) It might interest you that some Igbo groups also say 'omu'. Umuguma people in Owerri west say 'Omu'. Their village names are usually spelt 'Omuojukwu' or 'Omudiala'. They say 'omunwanyi' instead of 'Umunwanyi'. The ikwerre also use 'omu'. For example, the 'Omuokiri' community involved in the Aluu incident. [s]This 'omu' phenomenon is more common among Rivers Igbos and few Abia communities. The Omuma LGA(anglicized Omuma by the British) is actually 'Omumma' or 'Umumma' rather in central Igbo. [/s]I'm very much aware that the Ika use 'umu', 'umun', or 'nmu' respectively. That doesn't change the fact that all are variations of 'Umu'.

It is my suspicion that you simply created the "Omuma LGA" example to make your point, without any real knowledge of the etymology of the name. You were attempting to stretch thing. Nevertheless, the information is incorrect, so I put a strike through the comments to indicate as such. The rest of the information should prove sufficient as examples to any reasonable person.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:35am On Aug 05, 2013
bokohalal: Binis have a New Yam festival(Ema Orho,Iyan Orho) and in some communities that is when AKABA comes out to pay visit to homes in the community. Remember a visit to my paternal grandmother's village to witness one of the festivities associated with New Yam. The popular Bini musician,Akabaman, is from that place.
Yet, we are not Igbos!

I spent close to seven years in Benin,Idehen street by Ohoro road to be precise,had cousin that owned business on mission road,ring road,Omo street,lagos road,Akpapava,Lawanson but I never heard anything like "new yam festival". I know of Igue and others but not yam festivals....Danm,memories. I don't have problems with Edo people and I have about five of them as friends but you need to show respect!

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) ... (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious! / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.