Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,173 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom (44485 Views)

Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife / Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by banku: 5:00pm On Jul 21, 2018
Look, I have struggled through some of your posts, your worst are personal insults people without logical reasoning resort to.

You may have to do better to get my attention.
Obviously, you have limited vocabulary to express yourself.

davidnazee:

Your fake made up stories and frustration amuse me a lot. Don’t worry, my next post will break ur heart. Ask Babaramota I dealt with him before he ran here. I will deal with u too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by Obalufon: 5:28pm On Jul 21, 2018
davidnazee:

On the contrary, you are the one that will die in your denial. A simple research you cannot do, you are here ranting out of pain and fear of the obvious.
Edo people led by our great Oba conquered and ruled your ancestors.
we ruled your ancestors with IDA oranmiyan useless man. Curved sword carry by your Omo ADA as a deterrent to people like you...
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by Obalufon: 5:44pm On Jul 21, 2018
Do you know what the ADA stand for? How could a king rule his people with sword if they are not slaves laughing. (IDA/ADA) OmoAda sword boy is a Yoruba slaves?

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 6:31pm On Jul 21, 2018
Obalufon:
we ruled your ancestors with IDA oranmiyan useless man. Curved sword carry by your Omo ADA as a deterrent to people like you...

The Ada was in existence long before the time of Oranmiyan the son of Ekhaladeran who is the son of Ogiso Owodo.. well you wouldn’t know that because you are not Edo. I can’t argue Yoruba symbols or objects with you because I’m not Yoruba.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 6:36pm On Jul 21, 2018
banku:
Look, I have struggled through some of your posts, your worst are personal insults people without logical reasoning resort to.

You may have to do better to get my attention.
Obviously, you have limited vocabulary to express yourself.

See this goat oo. What do I want your attention for? Please get a grip of yourself. I only reply u because of your idiotic posts about Edos and I will reply u again whenever you make any foolish posts about Edos. Don’t deceive yourself again that I want your attention, it’s the other way around. You the one seeking attention by making posts about us.
As for your unlimited vocabulary how did it help you? Vocabulary put food on ur table, or it increased your finances?
Go sleep this foolish Yoruba man, descendant of our conquered and subjugated tribe.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 6:42pm On Jul 21, 2018
Obalufon:
Do you know what the ADA stand for? How could a king rule his people with sword if they are not slaves laughing. (IDA/ADA) OmoAda sword boy is a Yoruba slaves?

Yes ooo. The Omoada used to be Yoruba slaves.. I don’t know if the present ones are Yoruba but they are no longer classified as slaves.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 6:46pm On Jul 21, 2018
Obalufon:

Useless man all this your fake made up stories doesn’t change any historically acknowledged facts.
My forefathers conquered and ruled your forefathers for hundreds of years.. beheading your rulers who dared stand up to us, colonizing your lands.
We were mighty and you were weak.
That is the fact.. ur lies can’t change history.. your future generations will read about it and probably be like you, argue and suffer from denial.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by Obalufon: 7:42pm On Jul 21, 2018
davidnazee:

Useless man all this your fake made up stories doesn’t change any historically acknowledged facts.
My forefathers conquered and ruled your forefathers for hundreds of years.. beheading your rulers who dared stand up to us, colonizing your lands.
We were mighty and you were weak.
That is the fact.. ur lies can’t change history.. your future generations will read about it and probably be like you, argue and suffer from denial.

which of the ruler edo behead ..what is the connection between OWO and Benin?...
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 8:14pm On Jul 21, 2018
Obalufon:

which of the ruler edo behead ..what is the connection between OWO and Benin?...

Between 1705 to 1850; Benin beheaded a Deji of Akure, about 7 ewis of Ekiti land, 2 Oluyins and some Obas. Your princes were taken hostage to Benin palace and it became a tradition for your princes to live in Benin palace for a while before ascending their throne.
Owo was a vassal state to Benin. A son of Oba of Benin was olowo of Owo, another ruled idoani..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by Obalufon: 8:42pm On Jul 21, 2018
davidnazee:

Between 1705 to 1850; Benin beheaded a Deji of Akure, about 7 ewis of Ekiti land, 2 Oluyins and some Obas. Your princes were taken hostage to Benin palace and it became a tradition for your princes to live in Benin palace for a while before ascending their throne.
Owo was a vassal state to Benin. A son of Oba of Benin was olowo of Owo, another ruled idoani..

what part of Ekiti did you people decapitated their king ..i need the names of the kings and noted you've once mentioned that you beheaded olowo before so benin behead their own son..that's strange
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by Obalufon: 8:43pm On Jul 21, 2018
Doubt your claim
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by Obalufon: 8:49pm On Jul 21, 2018
The Brief History of Ado-Ekiti
Posted on May 11, 2017 by oloolutof
The founder of the Ado kingdom was a prince of Ile-ife named Awamaro(the restless one) and ‎Ewi‎ (the speaker)‎. He is said to have left Ile-ife with his elder brother Oranmiyan and gone to Ita Orogun and Benin with him after staying briefly with Oloba in Oba-Ile, Akure.

Oba of Benin and the Ewi of Ado-Ekiti. Both first settled in Benin forests before disputes among their people led them to separate and the Ewi sought a new home westward at Utamodi (Oke Papa). Ewi Biritiokun and his son reigned there. It was Ewi Awamaro who migrated to Ilesun (Present day Ado-Ekiti) after staying briefly at Udoani (Ido Ani) and Agbado during the long trek. When Ewi Awamaro left Agbado, the elders remained behind to rest and gave the settlement the name Agba Ado (Elders’ Camp) – Agbado-Ekiti as the town is known today. Awamaro’s spies encouraged him to attack Elesun with the support of Odolofin after he had settled down at Oke Ibon (now Odo Ijigbo) and with the conquest of Ulesun by Awamaro, the town of Ulesun changed its name to Ado or Ado-Ewi.

The Elesun (the King) who ruled over the town of Ulesun with its satellite towns i.e. Ukere (now Ikere), Isinla, Ulamoji, Agidimo, Ikewo existed in what is now known as Ado-Ekiti before the emergence of Ewi of Ado-Ekiti. The Elesun occupied the peak of a hierarchy where he had his subordinates as the Odolofin (Elesun second in command), Asao, Elegemo, Alamoji, Olisinla, Olulero, Olookori etc. Elesun was the head of the laity in the worship of Olota (god), the deity in charge of the security of Ulesun State. The Ulesun language was different from Yoruba (Ado-Ewi) language. Examples are Ideregbe (Ewure or Goat), Okeregba (Aja or Dog), Amomo (Alangba or Lizard), Usa (Ikoko or Pot), Ukere (Ago or Calabash Cup), Ogolomosi (Ibepe or Pawpaw), Oyeye (Epa or Groundnut). Some of the Elesun’s chiefs such as Odolofin and Asao were accepted into the Ewi’s system of chieftaincy after Awamaro’s conquest. The Elegemo retained his post as Chief Priest and custodian of Iwemo Ogun. Ewi’s Warrior chiefs who provided military security for palace inhabitants were the Akogun at Irona, Oloja Ese at Oke Ese, Eleyinmi at Okeyinmi and Egbedi at Orereowu.‎

Eventually, Ewi and his people overthrew the existing political arrangements after series of conflicts, conquered Ulesun community, displaced and killed its ruler Elesun, cut off his head and proceeded and established a new town, Awamaro named Ado, meaning ‘here we encamp’. Ewi Awamaro and his successors conquered villages and cottages in the neighbourhood, replaced their rulers with their own loyalists, stalwarts and scions of the royal family. The important citizens of these conquered communities were relocated in Ado. Ewi supplanted Elesun as sovereign ruler of the aboriginal and settler population, many of Elesun’s Chiefs were confirmed in their offices but they swore oaths of allegiance to the Ewi. Many of the succeeding Ewi expanded the kingdom by force of arms, annexed territories and gave these territories to scions of the royal families, these assumed titles which became hereditary.

The expansion and growth of Ado-Ekiti and the kingdom of Ado lasted over 400 years. In the course of this expansion, Ado became associated with certain traits. Citizens of the kingdom in general and those of the mother town, Ado-Ekiti in particular were reputed for great attention to cleanliness. Traditions preserve numerous brave citizens of each Ado community, the best known were Ogbigbonihanran of Idolofin quarters, Ogunmonakan of Okelaja, Fasawo, a.k.a. Aduloju of Udemo quarters, and Eleyinmi Orogirigbona of Okeyinmi quarters – all of Ado-Ekiti and Ogunbulu, a.k.a. Ala l’oju Osoru of Aisegba. ‎Folk, traditions are replete with fond references to Ewi’s relationship with some other Ekiti traditional rulers.

Ewi’s antecedents are depicted as: Elempe Ekiti (mightiest man in Ekiti).‎ Folk traditions of this nature vividly portray the towering position of Ado-Ekiti. In the first place, Ado-Ekiti is situated at the heartland of Ekiti and is thus less exposed to cross-border attacks or non-Ekiti influences. Consequently, over many centuries, waves of immigrant groups seeking haven settled in Ado-Ekiti and several other Ado communities‎. Many of these immigrants were refugees, they left their old homelands in parts of Ekiti, Akoko, Owo etc. where their leaders lost out in chieftaincy contests.

Some were war captives, these were brought in droves by Aduloju and his lieutenants from their slave wars of the 1870s and 1880s in parts of Owo, Ose and Akoko. They were settled in Ado communities where they increased the local population, and enriched the culture with their lineage names and festivals in similar circumstances, citizens of Ado communities left their fatherland and settled in a few places in the neighbourhood up to Ijesaland. Ibadan sacked many Ado communities in 1873 and made a huge haul of prisoners of war and other captives who eventually settled in Iwo, Ibadan and some Remo towns such as Iperu and Makun Sagamu. However, Ado communities especially the mother town offset part of their losses with a large number of slaves and prisoners of war from Owo, Ose and Akoko.
Ado-Ekiti is one of the towns of the north eastern territory of Yoruba land and passed through a succession of military, political and cultural changes from the time of ‎Ewi Awamaro (circa 1310 A.D) who migrated there to form what became Ado-Ekiti.

Ewi Awamaro subjugated Elesun’s neighbours and expanded his territory except Ukere (Ikere Ekiti) and his successors up to Yeyenirewu followed same steps that by 1550 A.D. Ado-Ewi had become a big power in the entire Ekiti country.

The Ewis that reigned at Ado from 1444 to 1552 were:

Ewi Ata (1444–1471),

Ewi Owakunrugbon (1471–1490)

Ewi Owamuaran (1490–1511)

Yeyenirewu – The regent (1511– 1552)‎ Ewi’s military exploits during the period was to subjugate and annex his immediate territories extended to Ikere, Igbara Odo, Ogotun, Aramoko, Erio and Erijiyan among others.

Ewi Obakunrin (1552–1574)

Ewi Eleyo-Okun (1574–1599) ‎

Ewi Afigbogbo Ara Soyi (1599-1630)

Ewi Gberubioya (1630-1696)

Ewi Idagunmodo (1696-1710)

Ewi Okinbaloye Aritawekun (1710-1722)

‎Ewi Amono Ola (1722-1762)

‎Ewi Afunbiowo (1762-1781)‎

Ewi Akulojuorun (1781-1808)‎

Ewi Aroloye (1808-1836)‎

Ewi Ali Atewogboye (1836-1885)‎

Ewi Ajimudaoro Aladesanmi I (1886-1910)‎

Ewi Adewumi Agunsoye (1910 – 1936)‎

Ewi Daniel Anirare Aladesanmi II (1937 – 1983),

HRM Ewi Samuel Adeyemi George-Adelabu I (1984 – 1988)

HRM Alayeluwa Ewi Rufus Adeyemo Adejugbe Aladesanmi III (the current Ewi of Ado-Ekiti). ‎

Ado-Ewi was peaceful as war was abandoned in place of diplomacy and mutual relations strategy. Ewi Gberubioya divided the Ewi dynasty into three ruling houses of Owaroloye (Aroloye), Atewogboye and Arutawekun. Ewi’s sons that ruled in neighbouring areas during the reign of Gberubioya included Okunbusi who became Onigede, Adubienimu who became Alawo, the Onijan, Opoakin (of Iwere), Olu Akitipa (of Odo), Aramude, Olokun, Olurasa, Onikewo and Olotin. One of his sons, Amujoye founded Igbemo and took the title of Oba of Igbemo from its inception. ‎

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by BabaRamota1980: 10:41pm On Jul 21, 2018
Obalufon, you saved that ekaladeran from my trap.

I was waiting for him to post the evidence of Bini conquest so I can totally destroy him but he must knew what i was doing. grin
His witchery was well oiled and in full flight cause he kept dodging and refused to take bait.

No worries. I go catch some other time. grin

They are frauds. Anywhere they see Ado they replace with Edo and publish as their claim.

Replace Ado with Edo in the article you just posted and you will realize their fraud. grin

I know Yoruba keep records of wars. So i usually ask them to name the war they fought with Yoruba. Everytime i ask that their story begins to collapse into pieces. grin
Thats reason he refused to post evidence of the claims he was pushing.

No worries! I will catch the witch next time. grin
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 12:27am On Jul 22, 2018
Obalufon:
Doubt your claim

just starting..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 12:40am On Jul 22, 2018
Obalufon:

what part of Ekiti did you people decapitated their king ..i need the names of the kings and noted you've once mentioned that you beheaded olowo before so benin behead their own son..that's strange

[b]"Overview of 19th Century Wars and Turbulence on Ado-Ekiti:

No part of Ekiti was spared the agony of imperialist invasions…The rampaging Benin armies sacked Ogotun, Aramoko, some subordinate communities of Ijero, Ado communities such as Are, Afao, Ugbo (now Ilu) Omoba and Agbado and settled a large percentage of the haul of captives therefrom in Ikere, their garrison post.

Benin armies constantly waged wars of external aggressions on Ekitiland and other communities in different parts of old Ondo State in their quest for territorial expansion and control, among others. A good reference point is the Ado-Ikere relations that resulted to Benin pillage and attacks on Ado-Ekiti on several occasion. Olomola (1984:2-3) noted that Benin armies invaded parts of Ado kingdom a few times between 1500 and 1815.. Olomola further asserted that the Ewi actually devise a strategy of evacuating his capital city so that the Benin armies would not disturb the Ewi and the rest of his people in their new site.
Odo which was, before the Benin invasion a town of considerable size, broke up as the people sought the safety of rocky and forest recesses and Uyin and Igede lost part of their population in their fight against Benin in 1815.

The development of the Ado Kingdom was seriously affected by external invasion. These resulted in series of demographic upheavals with settlements constantly moved from one site to another. The most serious of these external invasions were by the "Edo" of Benin. They attacked and destroyed many settlements…in the Ado Kingdom… The Edos were invited by Ogoga, the third time the Edos were so invited to settle the quarrel between Ado and Ikere. The line of action they resolved to adopt was to bring all the villages under the ewi to Ikere, settle them there and in this way Ikere would be equal or even bigger than Ado. Ado would then be afraid of Ikere. The Benin soldiers came and sent words to the Ewi Aroloye… He refused to surrender. He did not in any way show that he was not ready for fight. Every town or village under him except Ijan were prepared to fight…

Every town or village under him (Ewi) except Ijan were prepared to fight… The Benin soldiers stormed Igbara-Odo and Ilawe and took them. At this time, Ado town had been vacated. Aroloye took the people to a place called Oke Oko Axis between Ifaki and Iworoko. Most of the gods Ado worshipped on that side: Olua at Eyio, Obanifon at Esure and Are, Ogbese and Orisala at Iworoko. The soldiers pitched their camps near Uyin (Iyin)…Ogbesi Okun, the then Oluyin …was conquered and killed. They proceeded to Igede, Awo and Esure and took them. The inhabitants of Igede then uder Okiribiti were driven in a north-easternly direction to a place called Oke Asha…Edo troops then marched to Iworoko…The soldiers entered Are…The same fate befell Afao. They were all taken to Ikere. The soldiers moved to Igbemo …entered Igbo-Omoba (now Ilu-Omoba)…The soldiers left Aisegba for Agbado and without delay took it and evacuated the people. Agbado was the last place under the Ewi. With the conquest, of Agbado, the soldiers seemed to have finished their job…’

Ewi Idagunmodo (1696-1710), Ewi Okinbaloye Aritawekun (1710-1722), Ewi Amono Ola (1722-1762), Ewi Afunbiowo (1762-1781), Ewi Akulojuorun (1781-1808), Ewi Aroloye (1808-1836) who reigned at Ado but were attacked successively by Benin hordes…‘During the reign of Ewi Aroloye, Ado-Ewi’s kingdom witnessed massive dislocation across the terrain as town dwellers and villagers ran for safety in different directions. Many of the captives from Iworoko, Are, Afao, Ugboomoba (now Ilumoba) and Agbado were taken to Ukere by Benin invaders’."[/b]

So my dear Obalufon (descendant of Ekhalederan a.k.a Oduduwa) you can see from the above post how the Edos subjugated your adopted Yorubas.. We owned the Yorubas.. They were our subjects.. It is because we are a spiritual and traditional people that we spared Ife.. We would have burnt it to the ground too..
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by BabaRamota1980: 2:57am On Jul 22, 2018
grin grin

I already knew your witchery will soon get hiccups and you must fall into my trap.

I am your Lord. Bow down and worship at my feet. grin

I read what you posted above. Im very familiar with the article. In fact this was thesis paper for phd and the content goes far deeper than what you posted.

Ado was a powerful kingdom, so much powerful that both Bini and Oyo feared it would compete and become a daring rival. To prevent that Ibadan from West, Bini from East, they would periodically raid Ado.

Ibadan used enslavement to punish Ado, wehereas Bini used population displacement to lessen Ado's influence in the region. The Ewi never feared either adversaries. The people fought their attackers always.

Ibadan defeated Ado and Bini defeated Ado.

Like I said earlier, Ijebu fought Egba, Ibadan fought Ekiti, Ilorin fought Oyo.

These are all brothers within same Yoruba Commonwealth and with single progenitor, Oduduwa.

If a different race commissioned war against them...like Fulani or Igala or Ibo....then you can talk about defeat.

These are internecine wars between sons of same root. No big deal.

In fact Ewi never capitulated his domain....it had to be taken by force.

Same with Ekiti.

You cannot say that of Ogedengbe waging war against Bini.

Do you recall what happened when Seriki Ogedengbe was preparing a raid of Bini Kingdom? grin

If you recall i dont need to say it...but if you dont I will put it here for your eyes to see. There is a trend! grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by Obalufon: 8:20am On Jul 22, 2018
why you people like to use Edo instead of Benin..?
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jul 22, 2018
Obalufon:
Because the name of the people of the Benin empire is Edo.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 2:14pm On Jul 22, 2018
prolog2:
Because the name of the people of the Benin empire is Edo.

Thank you bro.
Why do Oyo people call themselves Yoruba instead of Oyo?
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 2:26pm On Jul 22, 2018
BabaRamota1980:
grin grin

I already knew your witchery will soon get hiccups and you must fall into my trap.

I am your Lord. Bow down and worship at my feet. grin

I read what you posted above. Im very familiar with the article. In fact this was thesis paper for phd and the content goes far deeper than what you posted.

Ado was a powerful kingdom, so much powerful that both Bini and Oyo feared it would compete and become a daring rival. To prevent that Ibadan from West, Bini from East, they would periodically raid Ado.

Ibadan used enslavement to punish Ado, wehereas Bini used population displacement to lessen Ado's influence in the region. The Ewi never feared either adversaries. The people fought their attackers always.

Ibadan defeated Ado and Bini defeated Ado.

Like I said earlier, Ijebu fought Egba, Ibadan fought Ekiti, Ilorin fought Oyo.

These are all brothers within same Yoruba Commonwealth and with single progenitor, Oduduwa.

If a different race commissioned war against them...like Fulani or Igala or Ibo....then you can talk about defeat.

These are internecine wars between sons of same root. No big deal.

In fact Ewi never capitulated his domain....it had to be taken by force.

Same with Ekiti.

You cannot say that of Ogedengbe waging war against Bini.

Do you recall what happened when Seriki Ogedengbe was preparing a raid of Bini Kingdom? grin

If you recall i dont need to say it...but if you dont I will put it here for your eyes to see. There is a trend! grin

Are u sure you are not taking too many codeine? U always sound drunk and high. Jubilating over your foolish assumption.
See as you beautify Edo conquests of Eastern Yoruba as brothers fighting.
However your small brain that is filled with dust and smoke failed to realize that the author of the document clearly differentiates Benin/Edo from Yoruba as 2 different tribes, not related in anyway.
I have more posts for u to beautify too.
Next I will post the executions of your rulers, you can as well say it’s big brother beheading junior brothers lol.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by BabaRamota1980: 9:46pm On Jul 22, 2018
Obalufon:

Acts of Witchery.

Edo is slave, they are trying so hard to shake off their slavery. So they want to erase the separation between the noble Bini and the slave Edo.

They dont acknowledge Bini online. Even if you open diacussion under topic of BINI in bold letters they will continously contribute using Edo.

The BINI on their part have not been taught their place in history so they lack enough knowledge to assert their rightful heirarchy as the civilization from Ife that put clothes on nayked Edo.

We know the difference between the two, afterall Bini came from us...but we kept quiet in past.

Now we have taken steps to bring into open what was hidden before so Bini children are not robbed of their social status as 1st class citizens and superior race above Edos.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by Obalufon: 9:52pm On Jul 22, 2018
davidnazee:

[b]"Overview of 19th Century Wars and Turbulence on Ado-Ekiti:

No part of Ekiti was spared the agony of imperialist invasions…The rampaging Benin armies sacked Ogotun, Aramoko, some subordinate communities of Ijero, Ado communities such as Are, Afao, Ugbo (now Ilu) Omoba and Agbado and settled a large percentage of the haul of captives therefrom in Ikere, their garrison post.

Benin armies constantly waged wars of external aggressions on Ekitiland and other communities in different parts of old Ondo State in their quest for territorial expansion and control, among others. A good reference point is the Ado-Ikere relations that resulted to Benin pillage and attacks on Ado-Ekiti on several occasion. Olomola (1984:2-3) noted that Benin armies invaded parts of Ado kingdom a few times between 1500 and 1815.. Olomola further asserted that the Ewi actually devise a strategy of evacuating his capital city so that the Benin armies would not disturb the Ewi and the rest of his people in their new site.
Odo which was, before the Benin invasion a town of considerable size, broke up as the people sought the safety of rocky and forest recesses and Uyin and Igede lost part of their population in their fight against Benin in 1815.

The development of the Ado Kingdom was seriously affected by external invasion. These resulted in series of demographic upheavals with settlements constantly moved from one site to another. The most serious of these external invasions were by the "Edo" of Benin. They attacked and destroyed many settlements…in the Ado Kingdom… The Edos were invited by Ogoga, the third time the Edos were so invited to settle the quarrel between Ado and Ikere. The line of action they resolved to adopt was to bring all the villages under the ewi to Ikere, settle them there and in this way Ikere would be equal or even bigger than Ado. Ado would then be afraid of Ikere. The Benin soldiers came and sent words to the Ewi Aroloye… He refused to surrender. He did not in any way show that he was not ready for fight. Every town or village under him except Ijan were prepared to fight…

Every town or village under him (Ewi) except Ijan were prepared to fight… The Benin soldiers stormed Igbara-Odo and Ilawe and took them. At this time, Ado town had been vacated. Aroloye took the people to a place called Oke Oko Axis between Ifaki and Iworoko. Most of the gods Ado worshipped on that side: Olua at Eyio, Obanifon at Esure and Are, Ogbese and Orisala at Iworoko. The soldiers pitched their camps near Uyin (Iyin)…Ogbesi Okun, the then Oluyin …was conquered and killed. They proceeded to Igede, Awo and Esure and took them. The inhabitants of Igede then uder Okiribiti were driven in a north-easternly direction to a place called Oke Asha…Edo troops then marched to Iworoko…The soldiers entered Are…The same fate befell Afao. They were all taken to Ikere. The soldiers moved to Igbemo …entered Igbo-Omoba (now Ilu-Omoba)…The soldiers left Aisegba for Agbado and without delay took it and evacuated the people. Agbado was the last place under the Ewi. With the conquest, of Agbado, the soldiers seemed to have finished their job…’

Ewi Idagunmodo (1696-1710), Ewi Okinbaloye Aritawekun (1710-1722), Ewi Amono Ola (1722-1762), Ewi Afunbiowo (1762-1781), Ewi Akulojuorun (1781-1808), Ewi Aroloye (1808-1836) who reigned at Ado but were attacked successively by Benin hordes…‘During the reign of Ewi Aroloye, Ado-Ewi’s kingdom witnessed massive dislocation across the terrain as town dwellers and villagers ran for safety in different directions. Many of the captives from Iworoko, Are, Afao, Ugboomoba (now Ilumoba) and Agbado were taken to Ukere by Benin invaders’."[/b]

So my dear Obalufon (descendant of Ekhalederan a.k.a Oduduwa) you can see from the above post how the Edos subjugated your adopted Yorubas.. We owned the Yorubas.. They were our subjects.. It is because we are a spiritual and traditional people that we spared Ife.. We would have burnt it to the ground too..

Well doctored script you think we are fools here Mr Davido edo

Doctored {{{{{{Ewi Idagunmodo (1696-1710), Ewi Okinbaloye Aritawekun (1710-1722), Ewi Amono Ola (1722-1762), Ewi Afunbiowo (1762-1781), Ewi Akulojuorun (1781-1808), Ewi Aroloye (1808-1836) who reigned at Ado but were attacked successively by Benin hordes…‘During the reign of Ewi Aroloye, Ado-Ewi’s kingdom witnessed massive dislocation across the terrain as town dwellers and villagers ran for safety in different directions. Many of the captives from Iworoko, Are, Afao, Ugboomoba (now Ilumoba) and Agbado were taken to Ukere by Benin invaders’."[/b]}}}}}}......Name the ewi that was beheaded Mr fool.. you copied the names and dates of my post and doctored it to suit your lies ...including the ewi from 17century you are are a punk

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by Obalufon: 10:28pm On Jul 22, 2018
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/313631390_THE_TURBULENCE_AND_CONSEQUENCES_OF_19th_CENTURY_WARS_ON_ADO-EKITI

are you sure you read the whole research good ..you picked what you need and doctored it to buttress your lies ...you are a crack head mother fucker

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 11:36pm On Jul 22, 2018
Obalufon:

Doctored {{{{{{Ewi Idagunmodo (1696-1710), Ewi Okinbaloye Aritawekun (1710-1722), Ewi Amono Ola (1722-1762), Ewi Afunbiowo (1762-1781), Ewi Akulojuorun (1781-1808), Ewi Aroloye (1808-1836) who reigned at Ado but were attacked successively by Benin hordes…‘During the reign of Ewi Aroloye, Ado-Ewi’s kingdom witnessed massive dislocation across the terrain as town dwellers and villagers ran for safety in different directions. Many of the captives from Iworoko, Are, Afao, Ugboomoba (now Ilumoba) and Agbado were taken to Ukere by Benin invaders’."[/b]}}}}}}......Name the ewi that was beheaded Mr fool.. you copied the names and dates of my post and doctored it to suit your lies ...including the ewi from 17century you are are a punk

You are the fool here. Didn’t you see your other foolish brother babaramota acknowledged that my post was a research thesis done by a Yoruba man. I copied and posted word for word the work of your Yoruba brother about Edo conquests of Eastern Yoruba.
You Yorubas are a conflicted race. Babaramota said my post is about 2 brothers (bini and Yoruba) fighting each other, you are saying I doctored it lol.
We beat una that’s a fact.

2 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 11:40pm On Jul 22, 2018
Obalufon:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/313631390_THE_TURBULENCE_AND_CONSEQUENCES_OF_19th_CENTURY_WARS_ON_ADO-EKITI

are you sure you read the whole research good ..you picked what you need and doctored it to buttress your lies ...you are a crack head mother fucker

Don’t worry I will post about Benin sacking of Akure and the beheading of your Deji. You can as usual say it was doctored lol.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by BabaRamota1980: 11:53pm On Jul 22, 2018
davidnazee:

Are u sure you are not taking too many codeine? U always sound drunk and high. Jubilating over your foolish assumption.
See as you beautify Edo conquests of Eastern Yoruba as brothers fighting.
However your small brain that is filled with dust and smoke failed to realize that the author of the document clearly differentiates Benin/Edo from Yoruba as 2 different tribes, not related in anyway.
I have more posts for u to beautify too.
Next I will post the executions of your rulers, you can as well say it’s big brother beheading junior brothers lol.

Did you not say you are the warriors that fight Benin wars? Havent you already took ownership and said anywhere Benin won a war it was Edo warriors that made it happen?

Go over that document and see the several instances where they said, repeatedly, Ewi prepared and stood to fight.

Even if he lost his territories...he did not cower, he was not afraid, he did not appease, he did not bribe his adversaries against invading him....he stood to fight!

Take note of that.

Lets go to the instances when enemy came to invade your land.

* Seriki Ogedengbe was bringing war to destroy your land. You bribed him not to wage war against you.

He also went as far as the present day Edo state. The Oba of Benin had to appease him before he desisted from waging war against his domain. He gave Ogedengbe presents of beads, slaves and other valuable articles.

After this exploit, Ogedengbe returned to Igbara-Oke intending to settle down there.

* After your first defeat in the hands of Igala. They returned a second time and Bini sent virgins to bribe them so the attack can be called off.

After the defeat in the first war, which they (Binis) suffered in the hands of the Igalas, no stone was left unturnrd in the second war. Firstly, they let loosed their beautiful girlsn to go N@kk€d into the camp of the Igala soldiers in an attempt to defile them. Secondly they hired the service of the Portuguese mercenaries who fought on the side of the Binis.

*Immediately before the expedition in 1897, fearful of attacks, humans were sacrificed to bribe the gods and keep war away from Bini city.

There is a trend!
So ekladeran, compare a brave and undaunted Ewi that you defeated but never could colonize, with your warriors that are always fearful of attacks and quick to offer bribes and appeasements, in goods and humans to pacify your invading enemy.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by BabaRamota1980: 12:04am On Jul 23, 2018
Obalufon:

No Ewi was ever beheaded.
You are witnessing Edo witchery.

No truth, no facts...just fabrications and hoaxes.

This s how they took ekladeran story and repackaged it from Ughoton to Ife.

Have you heard how ekladheran became fugitive in his own domain?

Thats another book on its own. grin
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by BabaRamota1980: 12:07am On Jul 23, 2018
davidnazee:

You are the fool here. Didn’t you see your other foolish brother babaramota acknowledged that my post was a research thesis done by a Yoruba man. I copied and posted word for word the work of your Yoruba brother about Edo conquests of Eastern Yoruba.
You Yorubas are a conflicted race. Babaramota said my post is about 2 brothers (bini and Yoruba) fighting each other, you are saying I doctored it lol.
We beat una that’s a fact.

...but Ive also told you the same thing he just said. You are a fabricator. You post things you cannot credibly support with facts.

Was an EWI beheaded or not, and who was he?
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by ghostfacekillar(m): 12:20am On Jul 23, 2018
Bini and land grabbing are five and six. I don't knw what they think of themselves. Toomuch tobacco ave blocked their head. Our ancestors during the war of oba and idu beheaded many warriors in bini and used it to build monument in nri... Davidnazee. I told u when you are ready i will gladly be ur guide to show u ur forefathers rotten head in nri kingdom. Not only nri kingdom.. Ogidi kingdom. Obosi kingdoms. Oba kingdom. Ozubulu kingdom. Nzugbe kingdom. Nkwelle ezunaka kingdom. Ur fore fathers head where used to build alters and monument.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by ghostfacekillar(m): 12:23am On Jul 23, 2018
davidnazee:

Yes ooo. The Omoada used to be Yoruba slaves.. I don’t know if the present ones are Yoruba but they are no longer classified as slaves.
bini riffraff. Still practicing omoada. This is to show u how fetish bini are
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 12:23am On Jul 23, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

...but Ive also told you the same thing he just said. You are a fabricator. You post things you cannot credibly support with facts.

Was an EWI beheaded or not, and who was he?

Not an Ewi, it is many Ewis, Oluyins, A Deji and many princes taken hostage.
Re: The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom by davidnazee: 12:29am On Jul 23, 2018
ghostfacekillar:
Bini and land grabbing are five and six. I don't knw what they think of themselves. Toomuch tobacco ave blocked their head. Our ancestors during the war of oba and idu beheaded many warriors in bini and used it to build monument in nri... Davidnazee. I told u when you are ready i will gladly be ur guide to show u ur forefathers rotten head in nri kingdom. Not only nri kingdom.. Ogidi kingdom. Obosi kingdoms. Oba kingdom. Ozubulu kingdom. Nzugbe kingdom. Nkwelle ezunaka kingdom. Ur fore fathers head where used to build alters and monument.

I cannot argue with you wether Edo warriors heads were used to build monuments. I know we tried to invade deep into Igboland and your warriors were successful in pushing our invading force back unlike the Yorubas we easily conquered. But if we had tried again we would have won. The task of crossing the Niger in each invasion was too much so we gave up.

But as for the war of Oba and Iduu bro we took thousands of Igbo heads. We defeated you guys well. Who was recorded as fleeing? No be una?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri / Ooni Of Ife Welcome His Son And Princess Naomi To The Palace / Ooni Of Ife Almost Committed Suicide Over Loan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.