Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,495 members, 7,816,178 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:07 AM

Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? (2336 Views)

If A Girl Or Lady Toasts You, Will You Accept? / Will You Marry A Guy Or Lady Against Your Parents Wish? / What's Your Definition Of A Broke Guy Or Lady? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by gbenyi: 5:36pm On Jul 04, 2018
About three decades ago, after having a swell time on a date with someone of opposite gender, it was customary for the server to place the bill directly in front of the man. Today, times have changed as have customs and traditions. The server places the bill in the middle, making a 50 50 chance or an equal probable split. This, however, may lead to the first disagreement of the evening.

Some argue that it is kind of customary for the man to pick up the bill, but this really should be a personal opinion thing and everyone is entitled to one. From the first perspective, lately women have been trying to establish themselves to be equal to men in all spheres of life; especially in pay, the kitchen and the other room. So why not on this one?

I would like to know specifically the opinion of feminists on this one.

WHO SHOULD PAY THE BILL ON A FIRST DATE?

https://chofam.com/2018/06/who-should-pay-the-bill-on-a-first-date-guy-or-lady/

1 Like

Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:56pm On Jul 04, 2018
it all depends on a lot of issues....BUT, if a man does NOT want to pay the whole bill (and prefer to go Dutch), then let him say it to the babe BEFORE she orders like a mad woman, so she can decide if sshe wants to continue on this date.

as for me, if i invite a babe for dinner, i will pay for it, but if a babe demand that we meet at a restaurant then she certainly should pay for her own share. no big deal!

proud member of the Association Of Stingy Men of NL

8 Likes

Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by gbenyi: 6:32pm On Jul 04, 2018
MrBrownJay1:
it all depends on a lot of issues....BUT, if a man does NOT want to pay the whole bill (and prefer to go Dutch), then let him say it to the babe BEFORE she orders like a mad woman, so she can decide if sshe wants to continue on this date.

as for me, if i invite a babe for dinner, i will pay for it, but if a babe demand that we meet at a restaurant then she certainly should pay for her own share. no big deal!

I love this
Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jul 04, 2018
Whoever initiates the date. tongue
Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 04, 2018
Let both of them pay their bills.Most girls don't carry cash along with them on a date.It can backfire.

1 Like

Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jul 04, 2018
whoever has the disposable income grin
Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:04pm On Jul 04, 2018
MariaLavina:
Whoever initiates the date. tongue

A) that would be too easy as we all know that most women in Nigeria believe that a man should ask them out FIRST

B) if a man asks a babe on a date at the park, then after a few hours there, shes says she is hungry, why shouldnt she pay for her own hunger?! or should the man pay, even if he is not hungry?!

1 Like

Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jul 04, 2018
MrBrownJay1:

A) that would be too easy as we all know that most women in Nigeria believe that a man should ask them out FIRST

B) if a man asks a babe on a date at the park, then after a few hours there, shes says she is hungry, why shouldnt she pay for her own hunger?! or should the man pay, even if he is not hungry?!
True that! Due to some unfavorable societal rules and norms, it is expected of the Man to ask a Woman out and not the other way around. Women aren't expected to be that expressive ( relationships, sex, emotions ). So you can't blame women who are still conformed by this rules.
But I must bring to your notice that not all Dates are sexually related (Romantic dates). Some can be platonic ( two friends can go on dates) ,some can be for business purpose(s).

B) When you imitate a date, you are indirectly asking for the person's time, space, attention and probably money (transportation if you aren't providing ) . The person might have left some things undone to be with you ,You are taking them away from their comfort zones. It will be sane to make such one comfortable, the person is entitled to security, peaceful atmosphere, entertainment (depending on the type of date) and most importantly refreshments.

Now I, it is the invitees responsibility to conduct his or herself and watch what is ordered. So yes! whoever initiates a date should be ready to bear the risk. smiley To avoid stories, watch who you ask out on dates. smiley

1 Like

Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:41pm On Jul 04, 2018
MariaLavina:
True that! Due to some unfavorable societal rules and norms, it is expected of the Man to ask a Woman out and not the other way around. Women aren't expected to be that expressive ( relationships, sex, emotions ). So you can't blame women who are still confounded by this rules.
But I must bring to your notice that not all Dates are sexually related (Romantic dates). Some can be platonic ( two friends can go on dates) ,some can be for business purpose(s).

i have to lay half of the blame on women, because even though they understand the above issue, they STILL expect a man to pay for their hunger (after he asked them out)....while they should instead realise that the reason he asked is because if he didnt, you guys would have NEVER gone on a date.

B) When you imitate a date, you are indirectly asking for the person's time, space, attention and probably money (transportation if you aren't providing ) . The person might have left some things undone to be with you ,You are taking them away from their comfort zones. It will be sane to make such one comfortable, the person is entitled to security, peaceful atmosphere, entertainment (depending on the type of date) and most importantly refreshments.

you are AGAIN half right here...A) we both take time out of our own lives to make this date happen. thinking that men have nothing better to do in their lives (than do go on dates with women), is a joke. when a man and woman go on a date, they are BOTH taking time out of their lives to spend it with one another, thus each should value that date accordingly....and B) water is a very refreshing drink, and peanut are great snacks. sadly, many women forget that when on dates and having food (that they aint paying for)

Now I, it is the invitees responsibility to conduct his or herself and watch what is ordered. So yes! whoever initiates a date should be ready to bear the risk. smiley To avoid stories, watch who you ask out on dates. smiley

sadly, unless a man ask you on a date at a restaurant, your hunger issues are solely yours, and if that man decides to settle them, then be greatful to that man (and if he doesnt so be it). the best way to control paying for what you are not willing to pay, is to simply say "NO" when asked to go mingle in a restaurant. how is what a man going tell you gonna sound better in a eatery?! i dont get it.

1 Like

Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 04, 2018
MrBrownJay1:

i have to lay half of the blame on women, because even though they understand the above issue, they STILL expect a man to pay for their hunger (after he asked them out)....while they should instead realise that the reason he asked is because if he didnt, you guys would have NEVER gone on a date.

you are AGAIN half right here...A) we both take time out of our own lives to make this date happen. thinking that men have nothing better to do in their lives (than do go on dates with women), is a joke. when a man and woman go on a date, they are BOTH taking time out of their lives to spend it with one another, thus each should value that date accordingly....and B) water is a very refreshing drink, and peanut are great snacks. sadly, many women forget that when on dates and having food (that they aint paying for)

sadly, unless a man ask you on a date at a restaurant, your hunger issues are solely yours, and if that man decides to settle them, then be greatful to that man (and if he doesnt so be it). the best way to control paying for what you are not willing to pay, is to simply say "NO" when asked to go mingle in a restaurant. how is what a man going tell you gonna sound better in a eatery?! i dont get it.
Since you emphasis on the Romantic date, I think I will leave others out and focus on Man and Woman kind of date.

I think I blame Men for some women 's excessive ordering on dates. These Women don't just order,Something gave them the go ahead. The man's approach, and persuasive method.When women want you off their backs , they act this way too. A woman who is into you, or wants something serious with you will be on her best behavior anytime she's with you. Indoors or outdoors. But must Men do not get this simple truth. No sane woman will order like a glutton on a first date.

Yes they are both taking their time to spend together, but one requested. Meaning one wants it most. First dates remember? Just getting to know each other.

If any Man ask me out my well being is solely his responsibility. It is my duty though to protect my image and order not expensive.
Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by MrBrownJay1(m): 8:35pm On Jul 04, 2018
MariaLavina:
Since you emphasis on the Romantic date, I think I will leave others out and focus on Man and Woman kind of date.

I think I blame Men for some women 's excessive ordering on dates. These Women don't just order,Something gave them the go ahead. The man's approach, and persuasive method.When women want you off their backs , they act this way too. A woman who is into you, or wants something serious with you will be on her best behavior anytime she's with you. Indoors or outdoors. But must Men do not get this simple truth. No sane woman will order like a glutton on a first date.

the above is very easy to understand....you see, as we all understand that men in Nigeria MUST ask babes on dates, many broke hungry miserable women would use that as a way to get free food. so they will pretend to be interested in that said man, just to get in the restaurant and order as much as they can, like glutton. men, sadly, blinded by their misplaced ego (and afraid to be called cheap) wont say anything, and instead will foolishly believe that it is a small price to pay in order to have unrestricted access to the babe's cootie cat..... unfortunately, they are fooling themselves, and wont get anywhere close to these bandits panties.

Yes they are both taking their time to spend together, but one requested. Meaning one wants it most. First dates remember? Just getting to know each other.

nooooooo....we BOTH want it, but due to social pressures, women have to wait for men to do the 1st move.... and unless a babe goes on dates for free food, she has NO business accepting to go on dates with a man she is NOT interested in. so , yes, we BOTH want it.

If any Man ask me out my well being is solely his responsibility. It is my duty though to protect my image and order not expensive.

sista, wait a minute...so you mean to say that (in your mind) going on a date with a stranger is NOT to get to know one another, spend enjoyable time together etc? and you will put your life's wellbeing in the hands of this stranger? as you both dont know one another, your wellbeing should be YOUR responsibility until you get acquainted with one another, and even at that, is it wrong if a man asks you to have dinner at home before going on date, where he will offer you only chilled water?
Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by Biglittlelois(f): 8:36pm On Jul 04, 2018
A guy that doesnt pay the bill on the first date doesnt want something serious with you, he just wants to "chop" and run

A lady that orders like a glutton who have not seen food before doesnt want something serious with you, she just wants to 'chop" and run.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jul 04, 2018
MrBrownJay1:

the above is very easy to understand....you see, as we all understand that men in Nigeria MUST ask babes on dates, many broke hungry miserable women would use that as a way to get free food. so they will pretend to be interested in that said man, just to get in the restaurant and order as much as they can, like glutton. men, sadly, blinded by their misplaced ego (and afraid to be called cheap) wont say anything, and instead will foolishly believe that it is a small price to pay in order to have unrestricted access to the babe's cootie cat..... unfortunately, they are fooling themselves, and wont get anywhere close to these bandits panties.

nooooooo....we BOTH want it, but due to social pressures, women have to wait for men to do the 1st move.... and unless a babe goes on dates for free food, she has NO business accepting to go on dates with a man she is NOT interested in. so , yes, we BOTH want it.

sista, wait a minute...so you mean to say that (in your mind) going on a date with a stranger is NOT to get to know one another, spend enjoyable time together etc? and you will put your life's wellbeing in the hands of this stranger? as you both dont know one another, your wellbeing should be YOUR responsibility until you get acquainted with one another, and even at that, is it wrong if a man asks you to have dinner at home before going on date, where he will offer you only chilled water?
Like I have typed earlier, know who you want to ask out. There a broke opportunists everywhere, it's not a country or gender thing.

Alright If you say so......

Sorry I used the wrong word. I mean the my comfort is his responsibility. I wouldn't go on a date (with) with a stranger and have his home be the venue. I can have that chilled water in a public place. smiley
Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by Headlesschicken(m): 9:04pm On Jul 04, 2018
undecided How can u ask somebody's daughter out on a date and expect her to pay....

1 Like

Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by Moveonmax: 9:07pm On Jul 04, 2018
Whoever has the money should pay. High time life's questions had straightforward , unambiguous answers!

2 Likes

Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by Originalsly: 9:37pm On Jul 04, 2018
About three decades ago, the men worked..the women remained at home. It was the duty of the man to pay the bill...after all..how can he expect the non working woman to pay? Today.....both men and women work.... either can pay the bill. The one making the dinner date should be expecting to foot the bill if who will pay was not discussed. But. ..too many women hold on to the man must pay. ... while they go about setting up dinner dates at luxurious spots... ordering dishes they don't know...can't even pronounce...dinner dates become feasts. ... left overs for lunch the following day/days for self and families. Again...the one that set up the date should expect to pay.

1 Like

Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by MissRaine69(f): 9:42pm On Jul 04, 2018
This is hard to gage , I am more than happy to go Dutch as I have an affinity for the finer things in life so I am cautious not to saddle the date with a high bill. But this caused a massive row once so now I would like to know how guys feel about this?
Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by CAPSLOCKED: 9:47pm On Jul 04, 2018
MrBrownJay1:

grin

1 Like

Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by Gspotlicker(m): 9:50pm On Jul 04, 2018
if i invited her i will pay but if she invited me for that i think we eithet go on dutch or she pays

1 Like

Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by milemimi93(m): 9:54pm On Jul 04, 2018
gbenyi:
About three decades ago, after having a swell time on a date with someone of opposite gender, it was customary for the server to place the bill directly in front of the man. Today, times have changed as have customs and traditions. The server places the bill in the middle, making a 50 50 chance or an equal probable split. This, however, may lead to the first disagreement of the evening.

Some argue that it is kind of customary for the man to pick up the bill, but this really should be a personal opinion thing and everyone is entitled to one. From the first perspective, lately women have been trying to establish themselves to be equal to men in all spheres of life; especially in pay, the kitchen and the other room. So why not on this one?

According to Association Of Nigerian Women Mentality..

The man should pay the bill.
Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by MrCork: 10:01pm On Jul 04, 2018
gbenyi:

...Bro am a plaYa...women do the paying...all ways! (Real kalk ) wink

2 Likes

Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by Nobody: 6:00am On Jul 05, 2018
Biglittlelois:
A guy that doesnt pay the bill on the first date doesnt want something serious with you, he just wants to "chop" and run

A lady that orders like a glutton who have not seen food before doesnt want something serious with you, she just wants to 'chop" and run.
I like the way you think. no bias. just plain truth.

2 Likes

Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by Timewilltell3: 6:15am On Jul 05, 2018
MrBrownJay1:

You are either a South African lazy idiot, only them let women pay for everything. Or you are a stupid uncultured igbo boy.
Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by gbenyi: 6:19am On Jul 05, 2018
A typical nigerian girl would be so richer than her boyfriend, initiate the date, order whatever she likes and yet not even look at the bill. This attitude needs to change.
Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by gbenyi: 6:21am On Jul 05, 2018
MrCork:

...Bro am a plaYa...women do the paying...all ways! (Real kalk ) wink
Are you in Nigeria
Tell us how you get Naija babes to pay the bills?
Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by gbenyi: 6:22am On Jul 05, 2018
milemimi93:

According to Association Of Nigerian Women Mentality..

The man should pay the bill.

So true..
Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by Timewilltell3: 6:24am On Jul 05, 2018
gbenyi:

A typical nigerian girl would be so richer than her boyfriend, initiate the date, order whatever she likes and yet not even look at the bill. This attitude needs to change.

Lazy idiot spotted. Be a man.
Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by gbenyi: 6:33am On Jul 05, 2018
MissRaine69:
This is hard to gage , I am more than happy to go Dutch as I have an affinity for the finer things in life so I am cautious not to saddle the date with a high bill. But this caused a massive row once so now I would like to know how guys feel about this?

Guys are saying the ladies should change their attitude. If you earn way more than your partner, you can sure give him a treat. Yes, men love to take charge but sometimes we also enjoy sitting back and letting our women lead. There is no dating rule that says a man must pay the bill on every date. It shouldn't be such a big deal.
Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by Nobody: 6:37am On Jul 05, 2018
Timewilltell3:

You are either a South African lazy idiot, only them let women pay for everything. Or you are a stupid uncultured igbo boy.

Hahaha your hatred for progressive thinking societies is embarrassing. Other women are shying away from being dependent on men and earning their respect, people like you think that's a curse undecided what a shame. Naija will never progress with so many women thinking like you do.

4 Likes

Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by gbenyi: 6:38am On Jul 05, 2018
Timewilltell3:

Lazy idiot spotted. Be a man.

I am a man and you know nothing about me. I am only trying to broaden the conversation so as to draw multiple perspectives and learn something new. If you don't have anything meaningful to contribute, keep mum!
Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by Timewilltell3: 6:42am On Jul 05, 2018
MissRaine69:

Liar grin
Re: Guy Or Lady, Who Should Pay The Bill On A First Date? by gbenyi: 6:44am On Jul 05, 2018
MariaLavina:
True that! Due to some unfavorable societal rules and norms, it is expected of the Man to ask a Woman out and not the other way around. Women aren't expected to be that expressive ( relationships, sex, emotions ). So you can't blame women who are still confounded by this rules.

I think this reply sums it all up. So valid and true.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Need Your Advice / Do Dead People Have Shadows? / I Don't Understand This Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.