Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,118 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) (63290 Views)

Please Help: I Get Stung By A Fire Ant On My Lips And The Swell Is Much? Pix / Cute Ugandan Boy With Blue Eyes And Vitiligo (Photos) / Bride-to-be Develops Vitiligo (skin Disorder) Months Before Her Wedding (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by CriticMaestro: 3:19pm On Jul 05, 2018
itsmolep:

Point of correction, VITILIGO is not a disease and it is not contactable, like you said it's as a result of low melanin. stop scaring people
Are you high, how is that not a disease...
Anyways learn.....

Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by corbanstevee: 3:24pm On Jul 05, 2018
The first thing to get into your subconscious is that this is not a death sentence.[/i] It is neither a phenomenon you or anyone have control over. It can happen to anyone at anytime and it become phenomenal when you weren't born with the hormonal deficiency....

Please, it is not a thing to become suicidal about even in the face of the strange feeling and possible stigma from the uninformed public who may want to stigmatize or relate the situation to some very bizarre personal engagement or exposure of yours. Understand that it is an hormonal deficiency which medically can be managed with the use of supplements but definitely has no cure at the moment.

Thus, you have to read well about this and make a definite and personal decision to live your life to the max and associate yourself with association/foundations that advocate for suffers of this syndrome so you can consistently be orientated on the happening and how to live well in this circumstances. It is not enough reason to be on the edge, like as said, even if it brings you to that point, make intentional effort to live above it.

Speak with your doctor/an expert in hormonal study and you will be counseled appropriately. I am confidence that there is more to your existence than die in the valley of Vitiligo.[i]
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

You will succeed!
#eucane_storm #steven_osadumi

Japhet04:
cry I noticed the symptoms of Vitiligo on my lips around August last year..At first it was just a small patch but subsequently it began to spread to other parts of my lip and also outside the lower lip.

I get questions everyday asking me why my lips is like that... Some assume I got burnt by acid or fire... I'm a very confident guy so I don't really allow the insults and tantrums get to me..at least I try to hide it as much as I can.. But of recent it is becoming too much and I've told myself that if the spreading continues I would have no other option than to end my life because I cannot imagine living a life of stigma, pity and neglect.. I really can't cry

I have met severally with dermatologists and have bought several creams and drugs but all to no avail.. The spreading did not still stop.. Not to talk of repigmenting.

This has affected my social life in many ways, I can't boldly walk up to strangers anymore because I always have this feeling that they are looking at my lips.. I no longer have female friends and I'm always withdrawn inside my shell because of it... My self esteem is down to zero. The mere thought that I will live with this forever and it will never stop spreading has made me suicidal.

I got a camouflage tattoo but it wasn't effective upon all the pain I passed through.. Now the substance I use to cope with it is hair dye which I apply before going for my law classes in the morning ... I still wonder how I will be able to practice law with this kind of lips. cry

Please nairalanders help me with any advice that might be helpful to save a brother.

1 Like

Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by Sijo01(f): 3:29pm On Jul 05, 2018
One of my senior lectures in school way back had it in visible places (face, arms). I'm sure it will be all over his body. It did not stop him from going to school and becoming a lecturer.

Op learn to live with it and face your academics. This shouldn't be an excuse.

2 Likes

Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by Atk1nson(m): 3:29pm On Jul 05, 2018
Japhet04:
I tried using hair dye on it to avoid the questions I receive daily...pls it's really troubling my life.

Lalasticlala

Bros, if you are contemplating suicide, what do you want those born albinos from birth to do?

I understand it may be difficult, but I trust you grow to accept who you are and that whatever limitations to your success exists only does in your mind

2 Likes

Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by Paschy88(m): 3:31pm On Jul 05, 2018
Yours is just around your lower lips. I have a cousin who has it all over his body and is still going about his daily life like kilode. Kill yourself na. Is ur die

2 Likes

Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by rs172(m): 3:31pm On Jul 05, 2018
Japhet04:
cry I noticed the symptoms of Vitiligo on my lips around August last year..At first it was just a small patch but subsequently it began to spread to other parts of my lip and also outside the lower lip.

I get questions everyday asking me why my lips is like that... Some assume I got burnt by acid or fire... I'm a very confident guy so I don't really allow the insults and tantrums get to me..at least I try to hide it as much as I can.. But of recent it is becoming too much and I've told myself that if the spreading continues I would have no other option than to end my life because I cannot imagine living a life of stigma, pity and neglect.. I really can't cry

I have met severally with dermatologists and have bought several creams and drugs but all to no avail.. The spreading did not still stop.. Not to talk of repigmenting.

This has affected my social life in many ways, I can't boldly walk up to strangers anymore because I always have this feeling that they are looking at my lips.. I no longer have female friends and I'm always withdrawn inside my shell because of it... My self esteem is down to zero. The mere thought that I will live with this forever and it will never stop spreading has made me suicidal.

I got a camouflage tattoo but it wasn't effective upon all the pain I passed through.. Now the substance I use to cope with it is hair dye which I apply before going for my law classes in the morning ... I still wonder how I will be able to practice law with this kind of lips. cry

Please nairalanders help me with any advice that might be helpful to save a brother.

eyan Michael Jackson
Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by kikilove(f): 3:31pm On Jul 05, 2018
Japhet04:

since u are so conscious of it and I read it doesn't heal. Just go to d market and buy female concealer and foundation of ur colour that's all. Rub it on when u want to go out and it would make it uniform. I'm not teasing or joking. I'm sure it would help greatly.

3 Likes

Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by PamaB(m): 3:32pm On Jul 05, 2018
Japhet04:

Bro Eat Carrots, Sweet potato and dates. Any Aboki that sell tiger nut sells dates. Start from here. These foods will provide sufficient melanin.

1 Like

Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by newoffer: 3:40pm On Jul 05, 2018
Go and buy dark and lovely lipstick. Be grateful young man

2 Likes

Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by delerx(m): 3:42pm On Jul 05, 2018
Ogbeni u r a wicked sombori ooooo.kai
UbanmeUdie:
shocked

I would have taken you to be one of the very lucky victims of the Otedola bridge fire disaster.
I am glad you mentioned vitiligo.

Anyways, if you think ending your life because of this condition is fair, pls do it urgently but before you do, try and visit a Burns & Plastic Ward in any Teaching Hospital closest to you. I'm sure you will see pxts battling for their lives praying against death regardless of their skin distortion coz there is whole lot to live for.

Maybe you ate the wrong congo meat and now feels terrible coz no vendor is willing to quench your hunger.

Its better you cut off your preek than kill yourself coz I know its your preek that is sending signals of suicide to your brain right now.

Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by EdwardDomnan(m): 3:44pm On Jul 05, 2018
I was disappointed when i saw suicide!!!

This is your body & you're stuck in it forever.
Rock it confidently, i mean, fluent it.
Stop trying to hide it.
I once saw a vitiligo guy on IG & almost wished i had it coz of the way he rocks it.
Search for "Winnie Harlow" on IG or google & see how beautiful she it.

1 Like

Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by darlenese(f): 3:45pm On Jul 05, 2018
your death will only reduce the number of stupid people.

suicide ko suicide ni
Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by Sunsets: 3:45pm On Jul 05, 2018
Suicide is a cowardly way to go for a minor appearance issue. Have you seen the lady who is the only survivor in the Sosoliso crash? The burns on her skin? She competed in the British Got Talent (if I got it right) and came out with her head high.
If you are so troubled, you may try the Bobrisky way: bleach your entire skin. Come to think of it, Michael Jackson had vitiligo but was impatient with the slow pace of the spread, he then decided to manually do it faster than the natural process. You may do same. You'll become famous.
Japhet04:

2 Likes

Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by ireneidiva(f): 3:48pm On Jul 05, 2018
CriticMaestro:
It's not really a skin disease
Isn't that left for the dermatologists to say?
Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jul 05, 2018
Japhet04:
no one has it in my family.. In fact I didn't believe it at first because I thought it was a minor discolouration that will clear off after a while but instead it keeps spreading

I wouldn't mind kissing your lips though.

So sexyy kiss

1 Like

Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by salisb(m): 3:49pm On Jul 05, 2018
you kiss too much
Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by Chyxki: 3:49pm On Jul 05, 2018
That's nothing I assure you. My mom has it all over, funny enough I don't even notice it whenever I see her. My advice; Just forget you have it on you!

3 Likes

Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by MaeBlocks(f): 3:50pm On Jul 05, 2018
Local Fox TV reporter with vitiligo reveals he covers up his skin patches with make-up so he isn't a 'distraction' on screen - after vowing the condition would not destroy his career
Lee Thomas, 50, a reporter for WJBK Fox 2 News in Detroit, was just 25 years old when he first noticed his skin begin to change color
Upon receiving the vitiligo diagnosis, Lee thought about quitting his job in TV, but ultimately decided to keep pursuing his on screen career
Lee initially hid his condition, even from colleagues, with the help of make-up, before it spread over his hands, making covering up impossible
Since sharing his story he has become an international spokesperson for the disease and has inspired people all over the world with his determination
Lee continues to wear make-up on camera so as not to let his condition distract viewers and interviewees from the news being reported
By VALERIE SIEBERT FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 22:10 BST, 14 February 2018 | UPDATED: 04:12 BST, 15 February 2018

shares

View comments
For many people whose career revolves, at least in part, around their appearance, being diagnosed with a condition like vitiligo could feel like a death sentence as far as future success is concerned.

But for Emmy Award-winning WJBK Fox 2 News reporter Lee Thomas, 50, being told he had the skin condition simply pushed him to achieve even greater on-screen success, after he vowed not to let it get in the way of his dreams.

Lee was only 25 years old when he first discovered a light spot of skin on his scalp while getting a haircut in Kentucky, where he was working at the time.

Professional: Lee Thomas (right), 50, is an Emmy award-winning WJBK Fox 2 News reporter who has vitiligo +10
Professional: Lee Thomas (right), 50, is an Emmy award-winning WJBK Fox 2 News reporter who has vitiligo

Daily routine: The media professional wears make-up when he is on camera for his station in Detroit
Daily routine: The media professional wears make-up when he is on camera for his station in Detroit
Daily routine: The media professional wears full make-up when he is on camera for his station in Detroit

Starting out: Lee was only 25 years old when he first noticed a light patch of skin on his scalp during a haircut, and the condition has since spread across his body +10
Starting out: Lee was only 25 years old when he first noticed a light patch of skin on his scalp during a haircut, and the condition has since spread across his body

'The barber finished and said to me: "Take a look." It looked to me like he had nicked my hair, like cut it too much down to the scalp,' Lee tells Daily Mail Online.

'I told him that he had nicked me and he said, "No I didn’t." We go back-and-forth for minute before I grab the mirror and he shows me that I had a light patch of skin the size of a quarter on the back of my head.'

Concerned, Lee showed the spot to his mother, who told him that it was probably the result of stress and that he shouldn't worry too much. However, not long after, more of the white patches began to appear.

'Another spot came up on the other side of my scalp, another one next to it about the size of two dimes, then some came on my hands, the corners of my mouth and the bridge of my nose,' Lee recalled.

'I knew something was wrong.'

It was a year after that haircut that Lee finally consulted a doctor about the patches - and by then he was working as an entertainment feature reporter for WABC in New York City.

RELATED ARTICLES
Previous
Next

Once a queen... Toddlers & Tiaras star Eden Wood, 12, dons a...

A-list love is in the air! Photographers share favorite...

'To my one and only': Michelle Obama dedicates a romantic...
SHARE THIS ARTICLE
On and on: He first wrote off his initial white spot as a result of stress - but then other patches appeared on his head, hands and face +10
On and on: He first wrote off his initial white spot as a result of stress - but then other patches appeared on his head, hands and face

Next stage: When he finally received the diagnosis, Lee thought his career might be over, but he ultimately decided to continue with on screen work +10
Next stage: When he finally received the diagnosis, Lee thought his career might be over, but he ultimately decided to continue with on screen work

Determined: Lee started covering up his condition with make-up as he continued in TV, initially keeping the condition secret from all his colleagues +10
Determined: Lee started covering up his condition with make-up as he continued in TV, initially keeping the condition secret from all his colleagues

'The doctor told me that I had vitiligo and that my skin was going to change colors. He said there was treatment but no cure,' Lee remembers.

'He kept talking but I didn’t really hear much of anything else because I was in my head thinking my career was over. I was already thinking of what else I could do with my communications degree.'

But then, Lee says, he looked back on how much he had invested in chasing his dream of being a TV reporter - and how many others had helped along the way.

From the junior high school teacher who sent an overly chatty Lee to the drama and debate club, instead of detention, to the college professor who helped him secure financial aid so he could study his craft, Lee concluded: 'Too many people invested in me for me to give up. I knew I had to figure it out.'

Over the next few years, Lee took to covering up his condition with the help of make-up, managing to hide it from those around him.

He says he suffered through many moments of doubt, but found encouragement from his family - in particular from his sister who offered him some advice that he now credits with helping him persevere.

Changing up: Eventually the condition spread to leave his hands without any color, which convinced Lee to stop covering them up +10
Changing up: Eventually the condition spread to leave his hands without any color, which convinced Lee to stop covering them up

Moving on: Since revealing his true self, Lee has become a spokesperson for vitiligo and has even written a best-selling book on the subject called Turning White: A Memoir of Change +10
Moving on: Since revealing his true self, Lee has become a spokesperson for vitiligo and has even written a best-selling book on the subject called Turning White: A Memoir of Change

Keeping it cool: Lee continues to wear make-up on screen so that his looks don't distract viewers and interviewees from the stories being reported on +10
Keeping it cool: Lee continues to wear make-up on screen so that his looks don't distract viewers and interviewees from the stories being reported on

'She said: "If your boss hasn’t said anything, and none of your coworkers have said anything about you leaving the job because your skin is turning a different color... And the only person I hear saying it is you, then stop saying it and just work. And let the chips fall where they fall. So I did.'

His career kept moving forward and he was soon offered the role of entertainment anchor and reporter at WJBK Fox 2 in Detroit.

In the early days he kept his condition hidden, but eventually the disease left Lee's hands completely devoid of color. That's when he decided it was time to stop hiding.

'I had to make a choice because imagine all the things that you touch in one day with your hands. And I would rather people think that I have a disease then think that I am dirty,' he says. 'That's when I stopped covering up my hands.'

Although he revealed his true colors, so to speak, a decade a go, Lee still does cover the condition on his face with make-up - though not for any reasons relating to embarrassment or shame.

'I still wear make-up because I know that, for some people looking at me, [it] can distract them from what I’m actually saying,' Lee explains.

'The stories we cover are about the people that we're talking about or writing about - it’s not about us or me.

The process: Every year on World Vitiligo Day, Lee goes without make-up at work +10
The process: Every year on World Vitiligo Day, Lee goes without make-up at work

Making a difference: Lee feels that vitiligo has 'made me the man that I always wanted to be' +10
Making a difference: Lee feels that vitiligo has 'made me the man that I always wanted to be'

'I’ve been in interviews where the person I’m talking to notices my hands or my make-up and they take up some of my time to talk about me. In celebrity interviews you only have about 5 to 10 minutes anyway and I don’t want to spend three of those minutes talking about me.'

Aside from those settings, Lee is happy to show off his make-up-free skin. He has posed for many pictures displaying his natural looks and even appears on the news without make-up on World Vitiligo Day each year.

But something that could have been a career-ender has turned into a career booster for Lee.

He is now an international spokesperson for the disease, is involved in support groups for others with vitiligo in the Detroit area and has inspired people all over the world by sharing his story - both on TV and in his 2007 book, Turning White: A Memoir of Change. He hopes that one day the condition might be so normalized that he can stop wearing make-up at work entirely.

'Today I feel like this disease has made me the man that I always wanted to be,' Lee says. 'I am honorable respectful a good citizen a good father a good brother I am more compassionate and and I have more empathy than I ever thought I could have.'

'I was just a guy trying to survive and this story has turned into so much more. I never could’ve guessed that. As a reporter you want people to look at you, but I never thought telling my story would be the biggest story that I’ve ever talked about.'

ADVERTISEMENT
Read more:
ClarityLTF
Share or comment on this article:

Fox TV reporter with vitiligo covers it up with make-up

2 Likes

Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by ameh99: 3:51pm On Jul 05, 2018
Simple remedies for vitiligo.

1. Old Honey

2. Red clay and ginger juice.

3. Neem leaf

1. Constantly apply honey on affected area, the older the honey the better.

2. Mix a table spoon full of clay with same quantity of un diluted ginger juice and apply on affected area regularly and watch the transformation after 3 weeks.

3. Blend and extract juice from neem leaf and mix juice with honey, apply on affected area and take 2 table spoon full 3 times a day.

Thank me later.

1 Like

Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by Hunry: 3:52pm On Jul 05, 2018
Japhet04:
no one has it in my family.. In fact I didn't believe it at first because I thought it was a minor discolouration that will clear off after a while but instead it keeps spreading

lol.
quit skool, stay indoors and milk ur goldmine.

u will need d cash to treat urself.

no need to be suicidal, 1xbet still needs u. lol

1 Like

Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by ikukuhero: 3:53pm On Jul 05, 2018
UbanmeUdie:
shocked

I would have taken you to be one of the very lucky victims of the Otedola bridge fire disaster.
I am glad you mentioned vitiligo.

Anyways, if you think ending your life because of this condition is fair, pls do it urgently but before you do, try and visit a Burns & Plastic Ward in any Teaching Hospital closest to you. I'm sure you will see pxts battling for their lives praying against death regardless of their skin distortion coz there is whole lot to live for.

Maybe you ate the wrong congo meat and now feels terrible coz no vendor is willing to quench your hunger.

Its better you cut off your preek than kill yourself coz I know its your preek that is sending signals of suicide to your brain right now.

Change of moniker can not automatically change or cure you of your stupidity, @NwaAmaikpe. Accursed thing!

1 Like

Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by Didcot: 3:58pm On Jul 05, 2018
Suicidal because of vitiligo?
Bros, thank God you are getting a naturalisation of your black lips!
Behave and enjoy your new pink lips! wink
Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by Teenice(f): 3:59pm On Jul 05, 2018
Vitiligo can be a thing of the past with Forever Living aloe products. These products are natural, having no side effects whatsoever.
They have been proven to aid in many ailments, including vitiligo.

Aloe Vera is known for its properties of cell remediation and cell regeneration.

Contact me on 08067704923 if interested.
Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by nettan: 3:59pm On Jul 05, 2018
Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by MaeBlocks(f): 4:00pm On Jul 05, 2018
Local Fox TV reporter with vitiligo reveals he covers up his skin patches with make-up so he isn't a 'distraction' on screen - after vowing the condition would not destroy his career
Lee Thomas, 50, a reporter for WJBK Fox 2 News in Detroit, was just 25 years old when he first noticed his skin begin to change color
Upon receiving the vitiligo diagnosis, Lee thought about quitting his job in TV, but ultimately decided to keep pursuing his on screen career
Lee initially hid his condition, even from colleagues, with the help of make-up, before it spread over his hands, making covering up impossible
Since sharing his story he has become an international spokesperson for the disease and has inspired people all over the world with his determination
Lee continues to wear make-up on camera so as not to let his condition distract viewers and interviewees from the news being reported
By VALERIE SIEBERT FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 22:10 BST, 14 February 2018 | UPDATED: 04:12 BST, 15 February 2018

shares

View comments
For many people whose career revolves, at least in part, around their appearance, being diagnosed with a condition like vitiligo could feel like a death sentence as far as future success is concerned.

But for Emmy Award-winning WJBK Fox 2 News reporter Lee Thomas, 50, being told he had the skin condition simply pushed him to achieve even greater on-screen success, after he vowed not to let it get in the way of his dreams.

Lee was only 25 years old when he first discovered a light spot of skin on his scalp while getting a haircut in Kentucky, where he was working at the time.

Professional: Lee Thomas (right), 50, is an Emmy award-winning WJBK Fox 2 News reporter who has vitiligo +10
Professional: Lee Thomas (right), 50, is an Emmy award-winning WJBK Fox 2 News reporter who has vitiligo

Daily routine: The media professional wears full make-up when he is on camera for his station in Detroit

Starting out: Lee was only 25 years old when he first noticed a light patch of skin on his scalp during a haircut, and the condition has since spread across his body +10
Starting out: Lee was only 25 years old when he first noticed a light patch of skin on his scalp during a haircut, and the condition has since spread across his body

'The barber finished and said to me: "Take a look." It looked to me like he had nicked my hair, like cut it too much down to the scalp,' Lee tells Daily Mail Online.

'I told him that he had nicked me and he said, "No I didn’t." We go back-and-forth for minute before I grab the mirror and he shows me that I had a light patch of skin the size of a quarter on the back of my head.'

Concerned, Lee showed the spot to his mother, who told him that it was probably the result of stress and that he shouldn't worry too much. However, not long after, more of the white patches began to appear.

'Another spot came up on the other side of my scalp, another one next to it about the size of two dimes, then some came on my hands, the corners of my mouth and the bridge of my nose,' Lee recalled.

'I knew something was wrong.'

It was a year after that haircut that Lee finally consulted a doctor about the patches - and by then he was working as an entertainment feature reporter for WABC in New York City.

RELATED ARTICLES
Previous
Next

Once a queen... Toddlers & Tiaras star Eden Wood, 12, dons a...

A-list love is in the air! Photographers share favorite...

'To my one and only': Michelle Obama dedicates a romantic...
SHARE THIS ARTICLE
On and on: He first wrote off his initial white spot as a result of stress - but then other patches appeared on his head, hands and face +10
On and on: He first wrote off his initial white spot as a result of stress - but then other patches appeared on his head, hands and face

Next stage: When he finally received the diagnosis, Lee thought his career might be over, but he ultimately decided to continue with on screen work +10
Next stage: When he finally received the diagnosis, Lee thought his career might be over, but he ultimately decided to continue with on screen work

Determined: Lee started covering up his condition with make-up as he continued in TV, initially keeping the condition secret from all his colleagues +10
Determined: Lee started covering up his condition with make-up as he continued in TV, initially keeping the condition secret from all his colleagues

'The doctor told me that I had vitiligo and that my skin was going to change colors. He said there was treatment but no cure,' Lee remembers.

'He kept talking but I didn’t really hear much of anything else because I was in my head thinking my career was over. I was already thinking of what else I could do with my communications degree.'

But then, Lee says, he looked back on how much he had invested in chasing his dream of being a TV reporter - and how many others had helped along the way.

From the junior high school teacher who sent an overly chatty Lee to the drama and debate club, instead of detention, to the college professor who helped him secure financial aid so he could study his craft, Lee concluded: 'Too many people invested in me for me to give up. I knew I had to figure it out.'

Over the next few years, Lee took to covering up his condition with the help of make-up, managing to hide it from those around him.

He says he suffered through many moments of doubt, but found encouragement from his family - in particular from his sister who offered him some advice that he now credits with helping him persevere.

Changing up: Eventually the condition spread to leave his hands without any color, which convinced Lee to stop covering them up +10
Changing up: Eventually the condition spread to leave his hands without any color, which convinced Lee to stop covering them up

Moving on: Since revealing his true self, Lee has become a spokesperson for vitiligo and has even written a best-selling book on the subject called Turning White: A Memoir of Change +10
Moving on: Since revealing his true self, Lee has become a spokesperson for vitiligo and has even written a best-selling book on the subject called Turning White: A Memoir of Change

Keeping it cool: Lee continues to wear make-up on screen so that his looks don't distract viewers and interviewees from the stories being reported on +10
Keeping it cool: Lee continues to wear make-up on screen so that his looks don't distract viewers and interviewees from the stories being reported on

'She said: "If your boss hasn’t said anything, and none of your coworkers have said anything about you leaving the job because your skin is turning a different color... And the only person I hear saying it is you, then stop saying it and just work. And let the chips fall where they fall. So I did.'

His career kept moving forward and he was soon offered the role of entertainment anchor and reporter at WJBK Fox 2 in Detroit.

In the early days he kept his condition hidden, but eventually the disease left Lee's hands completely devoid of color. That's when he decided it was time to stop hiding.

'I had to make a choice because imagine all the things that you touch in one day with your hands. And I would rather people think that I have a disease then think that I am dirty,' he says. 'That's when I stopped covering up my hands.'

Although he revealed his true colors, so to speak, a decade a go, Lee still does cover the condition on his face with make-up - though not for any reasons relating to embarrassment or shame.

'I still wear make-up because I know that, for some people looking at me, [it] can distract them from what I’m actually saying,' Lee explains.

'The stories we cover are about the people that we're talking about or writing about - it’s not about us or me.

The process: Every year on World Vitiligo Day, Lee goes without make-up at work +10
The process: Every year on World Vitiligo Day, Lee goes without make-up at work

Making a difference: Lee feels that vitiligo has 'made me the man that I always wanted to be' +10
Making a difference: Lee feels that vitiligo has 'made me the man that I always wanted to be'

'I’ve been in interviews where the person I’m talking to notices my hands or my make-up and they take up some of my time to talk about me. In celebrity interviews you only have about 5 to 10 minutes anyway and I don’t want to spend three of those minutes talking about me.'

Aside from those settings, Lee is happy to show off his make-up-free skin. He has posed for many pictures displaying his natural looks and even appears on the news without make-up on World Vitiligo Day each year.

But something that could have been a career-ender has turned into a career booster for Lee.

He is now an international spokesperson for the disease, is involved in support groups for others with vitiligo in the Detroit area and has inspired people all over the world by sharing his story - both on TV and in his 2007 book, Turning White: A Memoir of Change. He hopes that one day the condition might be so normalized that he can stop wearing make-up at work entirely.

'Today I feel like this disease has made me the man that I always wanted to be,' Lee says. 'I am honorable respectful a good citizen a good father a good brother I am more compassionate and and I have more empathy than I ever thought I could have.'

'I was just a guy trying to survive and this story has turned into so much more. I never could’ve guessed that. As a reporter you want people to look at you, but I never thought telling my story would be the biggest story that I’ve ever talked about.'

ADVERTISEMENT
Read more:
ClarityLTF
Share or comment on this article:

Fox TV reporter with vitiligo covers it up with make-up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x_fe5go7hM

Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by crunchyg: 4:02pm On Jul 05, 2018
Japhet04:

It really surprises me how you guys use this term suicide these days. Is this were we have gotten, there are people who had accident and today they have no lips but they are still living, people have lost hands, got amputated and they haven't considered suicide. You just a patch on your lips you are already thinking suicide. Bros appreciate God for your life for once and stop all these unnecessary cry. We all saw a crippled lawyer here on Nairaland so I wonder what you are talking about
Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by stonecoldcafe: 4:02pm On Jul 05, 2018
Japhet04:

OP, i believe i have read something from you (it was definitely a law student) about this condition on this same Nairaland. If you are not the one then apologies.
Bro, worse things have happened to people. Its only on your lips and you are freaking out now. Please try to be calm. I know it is easier to type than go through it but all i'm trying to say is that, vitiligo is not a reason for suicide. It is not an infectious disease. It is not ebola or even HIV. Even those with HIV are taking their drugs and living well to the glory of God.

If i were you, i would begin to invest in my self confidence biggggggggggggg time. You will need it for the plenty days ahead bro
You are unique bro and greatly loved by your family and friends who truly know you
Why worry about what they would say in court or in your law firm? Again i say you are unique. Use your uniqueness to your advantage
Stand out, stand tall, polish your craft. A beautiful heart and confidence in yourself will always set you apart. God bless you

2 Likes

Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by brojoshua: 4:10pm On Jul 05, 2018
See the professionals that specialize in that area/ dermatologist or so and they will advise you on what to do. Or if it is spiritual plus medical problems, then stop sinning and pray to God in Jesus Christ name to have mercy on you and to heal you. Thank you
Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by CriticMaestro: 4:11pm On Jul 05, 2018
ireneidiva:

Isn't that left for the dermatologists to say?
Nope it's a disease that shows it symptoms on the skin...not like leprosy
Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by techgeek12(m): 4:16pm On Jul 05, 2018
Japhet04:

contact me on whatsapp 081-350-65702, I have something for u
Re: Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) by stonecoldcafe: 4:24pm On Jul 05, 2018
Japhet04:
but the lips is having a negative psychological impact on my social life...from what I read online it would continue spreading...it is definitely going to affect my legal career. Imagine I am handling a case in court and the judge and jury are busy focusing on my Vitiligo lips... Who would want to employ me with my kind of lips embarassed

Let them focus. Firs time they will focus. Next time they will focus, next time they are used to it.

Who told you they will solely be focusing on your lips or any part of your body? They are listening to the words you are speaking bro.

I beg you oh. One of my bosses back then was albino. He was the most confident lawyer I ever saw. Sooooooooooo damn confident. Oga, please work on your confidence. God bless you

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Save The Vagina Now, It Is Your Treasure / Kyle Gordy, Serial Sperm Donor Begins Tour To Help Many Women Get Pregnant / 50-Year-Old Man's Joystick Amputated After Using Bottle As Intimacy gadget

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.