Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,428 members, 7,861,193 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 06:34 AM

Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria (2900 Views)

Why Do People Who Borrow Money Find It So Difficult To Return In Due Time? / Surviving Without Sex As A Single Mum... It's So Difficult / I Find It Difficult To Sleep Alone In A Room Or In A House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by Phut(f): 3:00pm On Jul 18, 2018
Hanseel1:

It is these same responsibilities which the society imposed on them alone instead of both genders that is making them to treat their wives like trash.

Also, I never emphasized on India rather I was talking about Nigeria and Africa as a whole.

If you want equal responsibility sublimity be sure to do 50 percent of the house chore, stay up all night to take care of your new born, take paternity leave so as to take care of your new born and where that is not available or the leave provided is insufficient quit your job. Also be prepared to move with your wife to a new state if she happens to get a higher paying job (over there) than you. Your wife should not be required to take your last name. The last names of any children you might have should be split between you and your wife etc

4 Likes

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jul 18, 2018
Phut:

Men have responsibilities, women have responsibilities. Women are the bread winners in a lot of Nigerian families and they do that quietly because they do not want the man to feel emasculated. Traditionally men were to be the providers, women the child bearers, nurturers and keepers of the home. Currently, Women have carry a lot of financial responsibility without men taking up a corresponding amount of child rearing and family chores.
The fact is a lot of men in Nigeria were spoilt in the youth and made to feel special just because of their gender. They were told that the world revolves around them. As some one mentioned in this thread, you will see situations where the little girl is sent on so many chores and errands while the little boy lounges around and these men carry it into adulthood and become a burden.

Everybody know that it’s a mans world and men even throw this fact in women’s faces from time to time. However in spite of all the benefits society bestows, you still see men whining in a very unbecoming manner.
Whining is unbecoming of a man. Now if being a man (with all its attendant benefits in Nigeria) is too much for some guys to handle, they can give up there cojones and let women take over. Don’t cry when we call the shots.

P.S. India’s example was very apropos because it shows a system where the absence of bride price did not improve the plight of women.

Funny I must say.
Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jul 18, 2018
Phut:

If you want equal responsibility sublimity be sure to do 50 percent of the house chore, stay up all night to take care of your new born, take paternity leave so as to take care of your new born and where that is not available or the leave provided is insufficient quit your job. Also be prepared to move with your wife to a new state if she happens to get a higher paying job (over there) than you. Your wife should not be required to take your last name. The last names of any children you might have should be split between you and your wife etc

I don't have a problem with that because even if I'm a billionaire I'll still share the bills. . Tell that to Nigerian men who paid bride price .

Women shouldn't change their names because of marriage, I never subscribed to that nonsense.

Don't submit to any Man in the name of marriage unless he wants to reciprocate it.
Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by Phut(f): 3:31pm On Jul 18, 2018
Hanseel1:

Funny I must say.

Ahhh! No retort, I see.
Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jul 18, 2018
Phut:

Ahhh! No retort, I see.
See my reply to your other post above.
Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by Phut(f): 4:22pm On Jul 18, 2018
Hanseel1:

I don't have a problem with that because even if I'm a billionaire I'll still share the bills. . Tell that to Nigerian men who paid bride price .

Women shouldn't change their names because of marriage, I never subscribed to that nonsense.

Don't submit to any Man in the name of marriage unless he wants to reciprocate it.

Well good for you. You do do not believe in paying bride price and so you did not pay bride price. Most Nigerian men would insist on their wives taking their last name submitting etc. Let those men continue paying bride price. Every household does not operate the same You do what works for you, they do what works for them. But at no point in time should there be an attempt to cherry pick only the changes that they deem beneificial to their gender.

1 Like

Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jul 21, 2018
ImaIma1:

You cannot isolate that case.

Paying bride price has nothing to do with maltreatment or owning a woman as property.

A man that is prone to such behaviour will still be that way even if he doesn't pay a dime

Bride price should be abolished in Nigeria because it is modern day slavery. Nigerian men feel like they acquired their wives like properties the moment they pay bride price no matter how little the amount is.

A woman should be sensible enough to prevail on her father not to take bride price from suitors and in a situation where the father refuses, the lady has the option of going for registry marriage alone after all registry doesn't require bride price.

Any father who'll gladly collect bride price from your husband does not love you as a daughter.
Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by ImaIma1(f): 11:16pm On Jul 21, 2018
Elder001:

Bride price should be abolished in Nigeria because it is modern day slavery. Nigerian men feel like they acquired their wives like properties the moment they pay bride price no matter how little the amount is.

A woman should be sensible enough to prevail on her father not to take bride price from suitors and in a situation where the father refuses, the lady has the option of going for registry marriage alone after all registry doesn't require bride price.

Any father who'll gladly collect bride price from your husband does not love you as a daughter.

Read through my responses
Re: Why It's So Difficult To Be A Girl In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:06pm On Aug 01, 2018
UjuJoan2:

I remember when I was in the University together with my elder brother, and one of our 'uncles' relocated to our town. My dad called us (myself and my brother) to inform us of this development and instructed us to go and pay him a visit and welcome him to the town. My brother, being a sharp guy went first and met with 'uncle' and had a swell time. 'Uncle' was lodged in a hotel then and my brother was treated to room service buffet meal/drinks, and of course a generous amount of 'pocket money'.

I remember the excitement when my brother told me the good news, I couldn't wait to go for my own share of the enjoyment. Imagine my shock when I got to his hotel room and 'uncle' decided I had to pay for my own goodies in kind. Uncle did not even pity me and at least buy me a meal, seeing that I was visibly starving, after fasting all day in anticipation of the wonderful hotel meal. Needless to say, I left his hotel room empty handed, not even my transport fare was refunded. cry cry

I can give you up-to 6 (at least) instances of similar occurrences . . . one was even a first cousin, another was a catholic priest.

And one mumu will open his dirty mouth and claim male superiority. . . when 80% of them lack basic morality, self control and common sense.

This is the fo0l that says I'm poor but had to fast in anticipation of goodies from a maga uncle. Your woes just began.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Rate Nigerian Boys Are Moving With White Women In Town Is Alarming / Which Naija City Will U Settle In All Things Bieng Equal / How Do Married Men Toast Married Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.