Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,306 members, 7,815,558 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. (36860 Views)

Is Toyota Really Reliable As Claimed? / Fuel Scarcity In 1974, See Cars In Vogue In The 70s As Nigerians Queue (video) / Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by soflygerian(m): 11:17am On Jul 22, 2018
fatiuabdul:
u ar on point bro, i have used honda accord and and presently i am using Toyota Camry. personally honda ar more rugged than toyota abeg!
Why do I find most honda cars always having a detached front tyre at the middle of the road.

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by Spectre81(m): 11:21am On Jul 22, 2018
I think people go for toyota because the mechanics are everywhere. I had a BMW, but had to sell it when the mechanic handling it lost his life. I tried several others but none could solve the car's trouble.
FestacGirl:
Is Toyota as Reliable as we try to make it seem in this country ?.

I've come to realise it's very easy to diagnose and the China inferior parts are everywhere Hence the reason why people think the parts are cheap.

I've used quite a few toyota's and I can say they are not very solid as people try to make it seem.

I had a 2007 camry bought from the states . Started shorting oil after 9 months. This is a very common problem with this model but people never mention it.
Ps I used the recommenfed oil, Mobil 1 from USA 5w-30

The almighty corolla we love so much is quite durable. But the suspension components are garbage and within a while the suspension noise will start.
The original parts are not even cheap.
But if you patronize the cheap Chinese you might get them cheap but they give away so fast.

I'm currently using a 2008 Highlander V6 2gr (picked it over the rav4 and rx330 ) Bought it 2 months ago.

This vehicle has only 120k original miles. The movement is very quick I must say .
On the glass it states the former owner has been servicing with 5w-20 Castrol and I was lucky to find couple of service history receipts in the glove compartment.
The car has been taken cared of well. But I noticed quite a few perks in a car of such miles. It makes the dreaded grinding noise at start up. I already changed the oil with 5w-20 Mobil but still same.

Why would a car of this mile be having vvti issues then I searched Internet . This is a common issues with this vehicle, The rav4 v6 , highlander v6 , auRion and Co .
From 2006 -2010 .
Toyota didn't issue any recall infact I found out it was a night mere for most users as they sold theirs when he noise started.

I also have foul smell from the exhaust when I accelerate . My catalytic converter is in good condition. No Cel . Most people also complain of this issue on the rav4 and highlander from as low as 30k miles.

This smell is scary because even with the windows up I smell it in the interior.

Their are loads of shitty issue I've noticed on toyota but people will ignore because of the hype.

The 2gr I heard is over 500k.

The camry 4plug engine is over 250k and it's not very durable.
** Start up sounds even from using the right oil
** Burning oil .
** The engine is also quite lazy.

I feel this brand is over hyped.
And people spend hundreds repairing this cars but they don't find anything wrong in doing that.
But if it was a Honda with such problems they would give it names.

If it was a Honda or Nissan it would have been crucified.

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by hope4nigeria(m): 11:33am On Jul 22, 2018
evilspirit:
Toyota is overhyped
exactly my opinion, my golf 3 has been serving me everyday for the past six years without any major issue. I Used #5000 fuel from abuja to Lagos in less than than 10hrs. The strongest TOYOTA can never give you that value. I don't do Toyota
Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 22, 2018
There are only two cars in the world- Mercedes and others

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by LZAA: 11:44am On Jul 22, 2018
CarGuideNG:
This may be unrelated to your specific circumstances, but it is relevant nonetheless.

It is quite unreasonable and unpardonable to purchase a vehicle, especially imported used vehicles AKA 'Tokunbo' in 2018 with no form of background or history information about it, sending the V I N to a history provider for a detailed history report.

We have come across numerous cases where a client contacted CarGuideNG months after a purchase with the V I N for history information, usually after problems may have commenced.

In one case, the vehicle had some idiosyncratic symptoms, the client would turn on the CD player and the rear window wiper would start operating. At higher operating fan speeds, the AC vents would emit a noxious after-smell.

The vehicle turned out to be a Salvage Junk title owing to Flood Damage.

Fact: Owing to economic reasons, and the general Nigerian trait to cut corners and make compromises for profit, most Imported used vehicles are significantly damaged.

Fact: Toyota has been voted most reliable brand over and over in the USA. It's not necessarily just Nigerians that make it seem reliable

https://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2015/10/20/consumer-reports-most-reliable-brands/index.html

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7448949_screenshot20180722073759chrome_jpeg76fcf2cf8253c3c5c1b91f333a7fe37c

A lot of these imported used vehicles have all sorts of dangerous damage, and it is not a stretch to correlate this poor second hand value with reliability of vehicles.

When damaged vehicles in poor condition make up the majority of imported vehicles and thus purchased vehicles, impressions about the reliability of brands may arise.

This is an alternative perspective to the situation.
U sabi work
I keep telling ppl to check history b4 importing cars

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by sugaslim(m): 11:47am On Jul 22, 2018
MichaelSokoto:

Village ppl!
send dem dia own last eid mahlud/easter ocucko grin
Go and sleep if don't have answers.
Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by bigrovar(m): 11:48am On Jul 22, 2018
The hype around reliability of Toyota stems from 3 models of toyotas: The Hilux, Corolla and Hiace. Other not so reliable models of Toyota benefited from this 3 brands.

The corolla 2003 - 2006 and Camry 99-2001 cars are legendary in Nigeria and Abroad. They engine and transmission have a knack to run on forever without issues and their suspension are hard to kill. They are generalyl simple cars that are very easy to maintain. They also do not suffer from over engineering, something that can not be said of European and American cars of similar time frame. .. The Hilux is so reliable that it has become the defacto logistics and figting vehicles of insurgent around the world.. Very few vehicles can operate in the very harsh punishing conditions of the sahel but Hilux shrines through. It fame came about After Chad defeated a powerful Libyan army with all its latest tanks and amour using the speed and mobility offered by a Toyota Hilux armed with a 50mm anti aircraft gun. The speed and mobility of the toyota allowed a small rebel Chadian army to encircle many Libyan troops forcing a Libyan surrender. This war became known in history has the Toyota war of 1987. Now you understand why the hype.

Of recent though, it has becoming obvious that newer toyotas are failing to live up to the hype and the company seems to be living on past glory. The 2008-2013 model of corollas are not as strong and reliable as their predecessors and they have started to suffer from the same over engineering which plaques European cars.. more and more modules are left in the hands of computers which can make them a bit more complicated to fix outside of official dealership.

13 Likes

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by fagbohun4j(m): 11:51am On Jul 22, 2018
dokiOloye:
If you've used even a volkswagen golf 3,you will find it difficult to enjoy any corrola.
The stability at speed,feeling of heaviness, etc

There was a time i tried getting the wagon, my friends were laughing at me because one is using camry muscle and the other Corolla, i told them they can’t understand. Volkswagen na strong machine no doubt.

2 Likes

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by hope4life: 11:52am On Jul 22, 2018
Op don't dampen my heart because I've been searching for cars and just hope to settle for Toyota this week.The bad news I received about other make:Honda-the hand can pull out anytime balljoint problem, mazda-smoke problem etc.The most reliable though expensive Toyota.So don't confuse me o.That's why I wrote this before reading your opinion
Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by fagbohun4j(m): 11:52am On Jul 22, 2018
dokiOloye:
If you've used even a volkswagen golf 3,you will find it difficult to enjoy any corrola.
The stability at speed,feeling of heaviness, etc
u get it

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by BENTOSYN: 11:53am On Jul 22, 2018
GoldHorse:

Volvo S40 and don't talk say na lie because I deliberately tested it.... and I used AC throughout the journey.

A Toyota Matrix 2004 Model will do more...I drove mine from Abuja to Lagos with full AC on 60 ltrs (that’s full tank and 5ltrs) ...the vehicle uses the same engine with Toyota Corolla of the same year so I believe the Corolla will do same...

2 Likes

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by fagbohun4j(m): 11:54am On Jul 22, 2018
uboma:

Please stick to your Volkswagen.

It is a rugged brand.
Soooooo rugged
Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by 3kay945(m): 11:54am On Jul 22, 2018
GoldHorse:
Try Volvo products or German brands. Most Nigerians buy Toyota and Honda products because of second hand sales value.

I don't. I buy my cars and use them for the present value they can give me not because of what they will give someone else in the future. Imagine using a car for 7 years without one single engine problem. Didn't even change the plugs.... and na tokunbo o.

You didn't change the plugs for seven years
Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jul 22, 2018
Kewtt:
"Das Beste oder Nichts" if you know you know
Benz

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by hope4life: 12:05pm On Jul 22, 2018
[quote author=GAZZUZZ post=69591100][/quote]

What a great response! Are you a lawyer or Toyota Activist?
Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:07pm On Jul 22, 2018
hope4life:

What a great response! Are you a lawyer or Toyota Activist?

just being realistic.
Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by BENTOSYN: 12:08pm On Jul 22, 2018
Toyota Corolla being the world’s best selling brand of all times with 44.1 copies sold is not by mistake...in my experience with Matrix I tell you that car is maintenance free compared to my accord

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by Originalsly: 12:09pm On Jul 22, 2018
Which other brand is more reliable than Toyota?...in this country?...and the same can be asked in other countries. We generally do not have a culture of car maintenance...nor correctly fixing problems...we often use shortcuts. Doing the same across the board....Toyota is most tolerant and would be the last brand running...most reliable....a title given because of track record.
@ op...nice job at countering some comments!

2 Likes

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by RexTramadol1: 12:11pm On Jul 22, 2018
I don't like Mitsubishi
Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by BENTOSYN: 12:13pm On Jul 22, 2018
bigrovar:
The hype around reliability of Toyota stems from 3 models of toyotas: The Hilux, Corolla and Hiace. Other not so reliable models of Toyota benefited from this 3 brands.

The corolla 2003 - 2006 and Camry 99-2001 cars are legendary in Nigeria and Abroad. They engine and transmission have a knack to run on forever without issues and their suspension are hard to kill. They are generalyl simple cars that are very easy to maintain. They also do not suffer from over engineering, something that can not be said of European and American cars of similar time frame. .. The Hilux is so reliable that it has become the defacto logistics and figting vehicles of insurgent around the world.. Very few vehicles can operate in the very harsh punishing conditions of the sahel but Hilux shrines through. It fame came about After Chad defeated a powerful Libyan army with all its latest tanks and amour using the speed and mobility offered by a Toyota Hilux armed with a 50mm anti aircraft gun. The speed and mobility of the toyota allowed a small rebel Chadian army to encircle many Libyan troops forcing a Libyan surrender. This war became known in history has the Toyota war of 1987. Now you understand why the hype.

Of recent though, it has becoming obvious that newer toyotas are failing to live up to the hype and the company seems to be living on past glory. The 2008-2013 model of corollas are not as strong and reliable as their predecessors and they have started to suffer from the same over engineering which plaques European cars.. more and more modules are left in the hands of computers which can make them a bit more complicated to fix outside of official dealership.

Suspension is a minus in the Toyota Camry brand...that’s one of the competitive advantages of the Accord over it

2 Likes

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by GoldHorse(m): 12:16pm On Jul 22, 2018
3kay945:

You didn't change the plugs for seven years

No I didn't.

2 Likes

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by Wiinnd(m): 12:17pm On Jul 22, 2018
Which car be dat?
GoldHorse:
Try Volvo products or German brands. Most Nigerians buy Toyota and Honda products because of second hand sales value.

I don't. I buy my cars and use them for the present value they can give me not because of what they will give someone else in the future. Imagine using a car for 7 years without one single engine problem. Didn't even change the plugs.... and na tokunbo o.
Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by BENTOSYN: 12:19pm On Jul 22, 2018
Abubakarsiddeeq:
There are only two cars in the world- Mercedes and others

The author of that quote was not looking at reliability and cost-effectiveness of maintenance but considered strength and performance...a lot depends on your reference points...of recent a lot of guys have been having issues with both C and E class models between 2002 to 2008 editions...if you have also been observant then you’d see that many of them break down on the road these days mostly due to electrical problems...

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by GoldHorse(m): 12:25pm On Jul 22, 2018
BENTOSYN:

A Toyota Matrix 2004 Model will do more...I drove mine from Abuja to Lagos with full AC on 60 ltrs (that’s full tank and 5ltrs) ...the vehicle uses the same engine with Toyota Corolla of the same year so I believe the Corolla will do same...

That's more. The S40 will need more than 60 litres for same trip.
Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by GoldHorse(m): 12:25pm On Jul 22, 2018
Wiinnd:
Which car be dat?

S40 Volvo
Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by BENTOSYN: 12:28pm On Jul 22, 2018
BENTOSYN:
Toyota Corolla being the world’s best selling brand of all times with 44.1 copies sold is not by mistake...in my experience with Matrix I tell you that car is maintenance free compared to my accord

1. Toyota Corolla

The first Toyota Corolla rolled off of the assembly line and into our hearts in 1966. By 1974 it was the best-selling car in the world. When Toyota announced Corolla number 40 million, it said they fly out of dealerships so quickly the automaker isn't sure who has it or at what location number 40 million was sold. By now, the number has swelled to more than 43 million sold worldwide.

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by MichaelSokoto(m): 12:29pm On Jul 22, 2018
sugaslim:
Go and sleep if don't have answers.
thank u sir!
ya matta don pass my hand, nah Oga Kazeem u need now grin

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by hermesprogidy(m): 12:43pm On Jul 22, 2018
It's Audi for me anyday.
Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by 3kay945(m): 12:56pm On Jul 22, 2018
Anyway, in my hood where water log is everywhere, My small Toyota SUV gives me rest of mind. Those using other brand are on holiday till December grin
And any Kazeem is always welcome.
wink

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by willian10: 1:02pm On Jul 22, 2018
Toyota is never overhyped.
Check the charts, Corolla sold most copies of any sedan and RAV4 is the most used SUV. As for me, a young guy, I prefer to drive a car that won’t give me problem anytime. That’s the reason I can never consider using a Honda product with the bad road in our country. My heart bleeds whenever I see a honda with a pulled ball joint stucked in the middle of the road. I’m already on my second Corolla, because it’s durable, reliable and more fuel efficient. That’s the reason it has more value than Honda , not only in Nigeria, even when you buy the tokunbo. Though Honda looks more elegant, but I drive my Corolla with full confidence. Aside changing of oil, brake pad and brake oil, I have never taken any of my car to a mechanic before.
I also something elegant, but it’s better to be reliable. Benz and BMW are options for luxury. But before u buy any, make sure u own more than a car, because the parts can’t be easily found.

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by computerglobal(m): 1:03pm On Jul 22, 2018
bobbiiee:
Following the service guide and ensuring a car with a bad history is well maintained may be frustrating. I have learned after having used a Ford Taurus 03 to do the following things.

1) Check carcomplaints. com before considering the option of getting a car. You will be glad you did simply because the issues related to the car of your choice will be laid bare.
2) After I am sure that the make, model & the year of the car are okay, I can now proceed to VIN check. Most of us will be amazed that thousands of cars with bad history are shipped daily.
3)Join the forum of the car you are using. Their is an online forum for your car (car make, year and model), join it.
4) Get a good car diagnosis scanner. I use a cheap one (Ms 409)
5) Get a reliable mechanic.
6) Consult those that are more knowledgeable on the field. I listen to Automedics on traffic radio and I also ask questions.

Don't run the risk of buying a used car with costly hidden problems. Shop with confidence for a car with our vehicle history that's right for you.

Contact us today for comprehensive vin report for your vehicle

Call/Sms/Whatsapp (Vin/chassis) to +234 - 806 -036 - 5068

Email : computerglobaltech at gmail dot com

Contact us on Whats-app now . Just a click away.

https:///send?phone=2348060365068

www.nairaland.com/computerglobal

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by BabaCommander: 1:07pm On Jul 22, 2018
eagleeye2:

grin
Customer care, how may I help you?

Gimmi ya Oga number.

grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Made In Aba Electric Tricycle Photos / Ghastly Motor Accident Kills 3 In Ondo State| GRAPHIC Photos(viewers Discretion / Vehicle Is Burning On 3rd Mainland Bridge (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.