Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,515 members, 7,830,528 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics - Sports (90) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics (104438 Views)

Super Falcons Beat Banyana Banyana (0-1 Agg) - Qualify For Paris 2024 Olympics / Nigeria's D’Tigress Finish 8th At FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup / D’tigress Beats Argentina And Qualifies For Quarter Final, Makes History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) ... (99) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by do4luv14(m): 8:25pm On Aug 03, 2023
lovewins:
Final Score

Nigeria 79
Rwanda 48

Nigeria triumphs winning with whopping 31 points.

Nigeria also automatically qualifies for the Olympics pre-qualification stage.

Big ups to Coach Rena Wakama, she got the job done despite the odds.

She deserves commendation.

Would had been more than a whopping 31pts lead, if the ladies had not let them in in the 3rd quarter

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 8:26pm On Aug 03, 2023
@lovewins
You raised poignant points.

However Nneka Ogwumike is already 33, so like Macaulay, she may not be all that helpful to the future of the team.

I doubt whether Arike is interested since she has been hustling to be part of the US team. Maybe she would express interest if she is overlooked for the umpteenth by the US coaches.

Michaela and Queen are more likely that Arike to switch to Naija
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by starstaz(m): 8:31pm On Aug 03, 2023
lovewins:

Not sure Akhator is ever returning. She got married and just got delivered of her child.

Promise is the one I most look forward too. She handles the ball really well

Macaulay is also preparing for her last stint with the team. She's 32/33yrs already.

Potentially, we have Michaela Onyewere and maybe Queen Egbo in the WNBA.

Nneka Ogwumike may also join the team, as the 3 year hiatus that FIBA have has since elapsed.

Arike Ogunbowale is still hoping to join team USA and has since attended 2 camps in the last 1 year. Fingers crossed on her.

Too many talents that will potentially make this team 100 times better. It's left to coach Wakama to determine how that will work, but this team definitely can't compete at the world stage or get am Olympic ticket.

correct submission. experimenting with this group on the world stage will be callousness and committing apoptosis on the world stage and it will eventually killed their self esteem for life.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 8:38pm On Aug 03, 2023
PDPGuy:
@lovewins

However Nneka Ogwumike is already 33, so like Macaulay, she may not be all that helpful to the future of the team.

I doubt whether Arike is interested since she has been hustling to be part of the US team. Maybe she would express interest if she is overlooked for the umpteenth by the US coaches.

I know Nneka's age. The difference between Nneka and Vicky is Nneka is more likely to play for at least 6 more years than Vicky is. The trajectory is there for her to follow. She's a legend and LA Sparks, and just like Diana Turassi and Candace Parker who are still playing at 40 and 38 respectively, Sue Bird who played still she was 41, Nneka Wil likely play till she's that age cause of the platform the WNBA offers her.

That said, I'm not even looking at Nneka for the long run, just the 2024 Olympics. She helps improve the quality of the squad significantly and she also gets to fulfill her Olympics dream.

As for Arike, she faces very stiff competition in the US, time will tell.if she has a change of heart. Michaela is the most likely as she openly identifies with Nigeria. Queen is slightly likely but not sure on that one.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 9:41pm On Aug 03, 2023
Brace up for a Nigeria Vs Senegal finals

Senegal pulling up a Suprise against Mali.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 9:46pm On Aug 03, 2023
Confirmed: it’s Nigeria v Senegal in the final, which tips off at 5pm on Saturday
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 9:52pm On Aug 03, 2023
The Senegalese ladies shooting 52% two-point field goals should be a big concern
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Odogwujayy: 10:50pm On Aug 03, 2023
Can't believe Senegal that lost their opening 2 games are in the final.. Wow. They should be taken seriously by all means

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Redman44(m): 11:16pm On Aug 03, 2023
Odogwujayy:
Can't believe Senegal that lost their opening 2 games are in the final.. Wow. They should be taken seriously by all means

D'tigress and Coach Rena will be studying the games the Senegalese have played so far before and during Afrobasket 2023. We have not come this far to lose.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 8:29am On Aug 04, 2023
lovewins:

Not sure Akhator is ever returning. She got married and just got delivered of her child.

Promise is the one I most look forward too. She handles the ball really well

Macaulay is also preparing for her last stint with the team. She's 32/33yrs already.

Potentially, we have Michaela Onyewere and maybe Queen Egbo in the WNBA.

Nneka Ogwumike may also join the team, as the 3 year hiatus that FIBA have has since elapsed.

Arike Ogunbowale is still hoping to join team USA and has since attended 2 camps in the last 1 year. Fingers crossed on her.

Too many talents that will potentially make this team 100 times better. It's left to coach Wakama to determine how that will work, but this team definitely can't compete at the world stage or get am Olympic ticket.
...we definitely need more players to strengthen this team, personally, i want Ezinne and Promise back, Also, Adora, then we can go with Onyekwere and Queen Egbo, what this does is, it strengthens us at the point guard role,shooting guard role and small forward. I do not think Nneka will want to play if we just have the young bloods, because for someone like her she will be gunning for a medal and not just to participate at the olympics. If everything is solved before the Olympic qualifying tournament, we can just have everybody back the new and old, everyone should come and fight for a shirt, the good things is, we already have a young squad ready to take over after Paris, should we make it. I cant immagine such camp, omo, the training session will be like the finals of Afrobasket..

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 8:31am On Aug 04, 2023
Redman44:

D'tigress and Coach Rena will be studying the games the Senegalese have played so far before and during Afrobasket 2023. We have not come this far to lose.
...Abosolutely, did you watch the Senegal vs Mali game, if so, how will you approach the game.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 8:35am On Aug 04, 2023
for me i will be playing Dillard box one from the beginning of the match till the end, she was instrumental in their win yesterday, we need to reduce the number of times she gets the ball, i will ask players to go at her, so she can sit out....Let the older ones players have the ball, those once are slower, you need to disrupt their flow.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 8:39am On Aug 04, 2023
carbonado:
...we definitely need more players to strengthen this team, personally, i want Ezinne and Promise back, Also, Adora, then we can go with Onyekwere and Queen Egbo, what this does is, it strengthens us at the point guard role,shooting guard role and small forward. I do not think Nneka will want to play if we just have the young bloods, because for someone like her she will be gunning for a medal and not just to participate at the olympics. If everything is solved before the Olympic qualifying tournament, we can just have everybody back the new and old, everyone should come and fight for a shirt, the good things is, we already have a young squad ready to take over after Paris, should we make it. I cant immagine such camp, omo, the training session will be like the finals of Afrobasket..

Nneka wants to play in the Olympics for Nigeria (you can take this to the bank). It's probably the only thing missing in her illustrious career. Win or not, she'll like to be in the Olympics. I really want that for her and us cause no player on our team is at her level. I watch her play in the WNBA every week and she's just amazing. She's even pulling up MVP kind of stats this season.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 8:50am On Aug 04, 2023
carbonado:
...Abosolutely, did you watch the Senegal vs Mali game, if so, how will you approach the game.

First, if our girls come to play, I wouldn't lose sleep over Senegal. I still consider Mali more a threat than Senegal is.

The problem with Mali yesterday was that their defence went to sleep and Senegal also played hard. Don't forget we have the best defensive team in the tournament. We have the best defensive record in the tournament. Only Mozambique had less points conceded in the group stage. Of the teams in the semi finals, we conceded the least points too. Of the teams in the finals, we conceded the least points.

If we just stick to playing good defence, the offense will sort out itself. Senegal knew Mali couldn't shoot 3s (we can) so they just defended the paint. It worked. They can't afford that against us, Amy and Tomi will just use 3s to finish them.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 8:51am On Aug 04, 2023
lovewins:

Nneka wants to play in the Olympics for Nigeria (you can take this to the bank). It's probably the only thing missing in her illustrious career. Win or not, she'll like to be in the Olympics. I really want that for her and us cause no player on our team is at her level. I watch her play in the WNBA every week and she's just amazing. She's even pulling up MVP kind of stats this season.

... I know she showed interest during tokyo, also there is Elizabeth Williams, the thing is, will she want to play with the present squad at an olympics, it is a different dynamics, atimes the reason players show interest is the personnel(players or coach) on ground at the moment, it is a different team now, so that desire might not be there as it was before, a good context is,if you watch the press conference after our game with Rwanda, when the Rwandan player was asked what next, she literally said, she will be back if the coach is back, so except you have access to her to what the motivation is, you cant be too sure she will show up now that it is a new team.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 8:53am On Aug 04, 2023
lovewins:

First, if our girls come to play, I wouldn't lose sleep over Senegal. I still consider Mali more a threat than Senegal is.

The problem with Mali yesterday was that their defence went to sleep and Senegal also played hard. Don't forget we have the best defensive team in the tournament. We have the best defensive record in the tournament. Only Mozambique had less points conceded in the group stage. Of the teams in the semi finals, we conceded the least points too. Of the teams in the finals, we conceded the least points.

If we just stick to playing good defence, the offense will sort out itself. Senegal knew Mali couldn't shoot 3s (we can) so they just defended the paint. It worked. They can't afford that against us, Amy and Tomi will just use 3s to finish them.
..abolutely, that is on offence for us, for defence, take away their most prolific scorer in Dilliard...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 8:56am On Aug 04, 2023
lovewins:

...basically, Senegal took away Mali strength of running and slashing to the rim, but Mali could not stop Dilliard for the most, we can score in different ways, 3 ball, slashing to the rim, post plays, free throws e.t.c, however, we must still neutralize their strength.....Saturday is upon us...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 6:17am On Aug 05, 2023
Coach Wakama is the FIRST female coach to lead a team to the Women’s Afrobasket final

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by MSGAMBLE9: 10:19am On Aug 05, 2023
PDPGuy:
@lovewins

I feel the lure of Olympics might seem too tempting for Arike to switch side to Greens....US is a talent factory with new star burgeoning every other day with their media now raving about Van Lith, Aneesha Morrow, Betts and Donarski... She go wait tire...

Arike needs to wise up now before she reaches 30+ like the Ogwumike sisters...

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 10:50am On Aug 05, 2023
MSGAMBLE9:
I feel the lure of Olympics might seem too tempting for Arike to switch side to Greens....US is a talent factory with new star burgeoning every other day with their media now raving about Van Lith, Aneesha Morrow, Betts and Donarski... She go wait tire...

Those names aren't even who Arike is battling with. They haven't even gone pro yet and if they were the ones in question Arike wouldn't have a problem. She's a guard and the US have too many guards right now the competition will be stiff.

You have Jewel Loyd, Kelsey Plum, Chelsea Gray, Sabrina Ionescu, Jackie Young, Alisha Grey and Rhyne Haword to mention a few. I haven't even included Diana Turasi and Skyler Diggins Smith who are veterans for team USA and haven't retired.

To be fair, she's currently having a monster season, but so are the guys I highlighted above, many of whom have already featured for team USA so including them again wouldn't be a problem. I understand her need to want to play for the USA instead of Nigeria, but Nigeria offers her the easiest way to fulfil her national team dreams and also claim legendary status. I also understand the NBBF isn't making this decision easy for athletes with their unprofessionalism.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 11:01am On Aug 05, 2023
MSGAMBLE9:

Yeah.. She should better make the switch now, as she has been part of various USWNT camps for the past 6 years without being selected to a WC or Olympics rooster
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by MSGAMBLE9: 12:45pm On Aug 05, 2023
lovewins:

Those names aren't even who Arike is battling with. They haven't even gone pro yet and if they were the ones in question Arike wouldn't have a problem. She's a guard and the US have too many guards right now the competition will be stiff.

You have Jewel Loyd, Kelsey Plum, Chelsea Gray, Sabrina Ionescu, Jackie Young, Alisha Grey and Rhyne Haword to mention a few. I haven't even included Diana Turasi and Skyler Diggins Smith who are veterans for team USA and haven't retired.

To be fair, she's currently having a monster season, but so are the guys I highlighted above, many of whom have already featured for team USA so including them again wouldn't be a problem. I understand her need to want to play for the USA instead of Nigeria, but Nigeria offers her the easiest way to fulfil her national team dreams and also claim legendary status. I also understand the NBBF isn't making this decision easy for athletes with their unprofessionalism.
I get bro, yes they are in college buh you need to see how the likes of ESPN and others are calling them the future already... Donarski is a Guard shooting 3s with staggering 87% accuracy and she is not polished yet... That means when Loyd and Plum are done there will even be bigger problems in Dornaski, Celeste Taylor,Rogers and Others to come....

Arike is not even in their last World cup roster which is a lesser competition to Olympics as far US basketball culture is concerned....

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 1:08pm On Aug 05, 2023
MSGAMBLE9:
I get bro, yes they are in college buh you need to see how the likes of ESPN and others are calling them the future already... Donarski is a Guard shooting 3s with staggering 87% accuracy and she is not polished yet... That means when Loyd and Plum are done there will even be bigger problems in Dornaski, Celeste Taylor,Rogers and Others to come....

Arike is not even in their last World cup roster which is a lesser competition to Olympics as far US basketball culture is concerned....

I get you, however I'm saying in the scheme of things, those players you mentioned though good aren't even in the conversation.

The top college guard in the US right now is Caitlin Clarke by a mile, followed by Cameron Brink, Halley Van Lith, Paige Buickers. They are already top picks for the 2024 draft should they decide to enter.

Arike however will still play ahead of any of them bar maybe Clarke who will give her a run for her money.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 1:14pm On Aug 05, 2023
MSGAMBLE9:

I should also add that most of the guards I mentioned earlier are young and will still be playing for at least the next 10 years. Arike also stands shoulder to shoulder with all of them in scoring. The only reason she wouldn't make the USA team is mostly coach's preference and her deficit in defence.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by MSGAMBLE9: 1:17pm On Aug 05, 2023
lovewins:

I get you, however I'm saying in the scheme of things, those players you mentioned though good aren't even in the conversation.

The top college guard in the US right now is Caitlin Clarke by a mile, followed by Cameron Brink, Halley Van Lith, Paige Buickers. They are already top picks for the 2024 draft should they decide to enter.

Arike however will still play ahead of any of them bar maybe Clarke who will give her a run for her money.

Yes, what am saying is by time when Loyd and Plum are done.... Van Lith, Donarski and others would have been polished pro which would create more issue for her later in future... Donarski stat as a rookie is scary...
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by MSGAMBLE9: 1:30pm On Aug 05, 2023
lovewins:

I should also add that most of the guards I mentioned earlier are young and will still be playing for at least the next 10 years. Arike also stands shoulder to shoulder with all of them in scoring. The only reason she wouldn't make the USA team is mostly coach's preference and her deficit in defence.
I get you... you really rate her...

You should know am just looking for reasons why she should be Ours and not for Uncle Sam that could probably already has like a dozens of Arike ( talent_wise) in College....
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 1:38pm On Aug 05, 2023
MSGAMBLE9:
I get you... you really rate her...

You should know am just looking for reasons why she should be Ours and not for Uncle Sam that could probably already has like a dozens of Arike ( talent_wise) in College....

Yea. It's same sentiments for me. However, I'm not saying it because I rate her, it's cause she in her own right is that good. You just check her stats, she's one of the top 5 scorers in the WNBA this season and just recently set the Dallas Wings franchise record for 3 points made. She's a baller.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 3:44pm On Aug 05, 2023
Either way, I hope Arike had acquired a Nigerian passport before she turned 16, as that would make her solidly eligible for Naija.

But if she only did so after turning 16, then she would be deemed by FIBA to be a “naturalized player” and FIBA only permits one naturalized player per roster at their tournaments. So, it then comes down to the discretionary power of the FIBA General-Secretary to approve her switch to Naija if it would be “in the interest of the development of the game in Nigeria”.

Moreover, I’m not sure about the status of the appeal that Nneka and Chiney Ogwumike, and Elizabeth lodged with the CAS with regards to their eligibility

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 5:20pm On Aug 05, 2023
End of 1st quarter
Nigeria 19-10 Senegal

Nigeria are 56% from the 2-point zone and 33% from the three-point zone

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by kheny12(m): 5:39pm On Aug 05, 2023
Half time Ngr 43 Sen 31.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 5:39pm On Aug 05, 2023
Halftime
Nigeria 43-31 Senegal

Nigeria leads in two-point shooting (59%), and three point FG (55%)

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) ... (99) (Reply)

Libya Vs Nigeria: AFCON Qualifiers - 2 - 3 (Full Time) / Salaries Of Nigerian Premier League Players. / Nigeria Vs Uruguay Fifa U17 World Cup (2 - 0) On 2nd November 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.