Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,987 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:52 PM

Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics - Sports (89) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics (104698 Views)

Super Falcons Beat Banyana Banyana (0-1 Agg) - Qualify For Paris 2024 Olympics / Nigeria's D’Tigress Finish 8th At FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup / D’tigress Beats Argentina And Qualifies For Quarter Final, Makes History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (99) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 5:39am On Aug 03, 2023
D’Tigress v Rwanda tips off at 5pm today..,
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 6:50am On Aug 03, 2023
Coach Wakama is only 31?! 🙆🏾 I had always thought she was way older
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 7:23am On Aug 03, 2023
PDPGuy:

No she isn't. It's one of the reasons her appointment was weird. Wanted to highlight that her but later decided against it as I didn't consider it relevant.

Sarah ogoke is 2 years older than she is. An if members of the old team were present at least 3 of them will be older than she is. Lol

Just weird.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Redman44(m): 7:24am On Aug 03, 2023
PDPGuy:

Most likely her real age. She was born in the USA where genuine birth certificates are issued and where documentation is taken seriously.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 7:31am On Aug 03, 2023
Redman44:

Most likely her real age. She was born in the USA where genuine birth certificates are issued and where documentation is taken seriously.

Not sure she was hron in the US. Like Pallas I think she was born in Nigeria and later emigrated (Not sure sha).

It appears her folks also still reside in Nigeria. Pretty sure she's from a reputable Rivers state family.

There's a part of her bio that isn't true sha. She never played for the national team as the NBBF alleged. Yes she attended one of the camps in 2015 but never played for he national team. They probably included that to get her soft landing. Glad everything is working out well for her and the team sha.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Redman44(m): 8:26am On Aug 03, 2023
The game against Mozambique was edgy and tough. Today's game against Rwanda will show if this Dtigress squad has depth and can go all the way to win the trophy. I don't think Nigeria will lose to Rwanda. The hosts will have the home crowd behind them and will play to the gallery. This will be their undoing as the Dtigress will use deadly counterattack moves to finish them off. Nigeria is not Uganda, you know.

@ Coach Rena, use deadly counter attacks and rebounds to Nigeria's advantage.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 8:49am On Aug 03, 2023
Redman44:
The game against Mozambique was edgy and tough. Today's game against Rwanda will show if this Dtigress squad has depth and can go all the way to win the trophy. I don't think Nigeria will lose to Rwanda. The hosts will have the home crowd behind them and will play to the gallery. This will be their undoing as the Dtigress will use deadly counterattack moves to finish them off. Nigeria is not Uganda, you know.

@ Coach Rena, use deadly counter attacks and rebounds to Nigeria's advantage.

Rwanda isn't a great team. I will be very surprised if we lose to them. The only team I felt was a threat on our path to the Finals was Mozambique and I indicated that very early and maybe Uganda who are out now. Even with the current squad, we shouldn't be losing to Rwanda under any circumstances.

The girls will hopefully get the job done.

And hope they work on the turnovers. The numbers are crazy. If I were Rena I would significantly reduce Sarah ogoke's time on the court. She turns over the ball a lot. Hoping she turns the tide today when she gets to play.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by maidaboi(m): 5:15pm On Aug 03, 2023
lovewins:

Rwanda isn't a great team. I will be very surprised if we lose to them. The only team I felt was a threat on our path to the Finals was Mozambique and I indicated that very early and maybe Uganda who are out now. Even with the current squad, we shouldn't be losing to Rwanda under any circumstances.

And hope they work on the turnovers. The numbers are crazy. If I were Rena I would significantly reduce Sarah ogoke's time on the court. She turns over the ball a lot. Hoping she turns the tide today when she gets to play.
Nigeria on top of Rwanda currently
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 5:20pm On Aug 03, 2023
maidaboi:
Nigeria on top of Rwanda currently

Always knew they weren't a challenge. Our defence is on lockdown and we're surprisingly shooting 57% from 3. We need to keep the pressure up. Let's close this game in the first half.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by maidaboi(m): 5:24pm On Aug 03, 2023
lovewins:

Always knew they weren't a challenge. Our defence is on lockdown and we're surprisingly shooting 57% from 3. We need to keep the pressure up. Let's close this game in the first half.
true
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Princezibk: 5:28pm On Aug 03, 2023
Scores
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Princezibk: 5:35pm On Aug 03, 2023
Checking the updates on flash scores but it suddenly disappeared till now… couldn’t follow up , so can someone kindly update us 🙏
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 5:41pm On Aug 03, 2023
1st Half

Nigeria 44
Rwanda 18

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by kheny12(m): 5:42pm On Aug 03, 2023
Princezibk:
Checking the updates on flash scores but it suddenly disappeared till now… couldn’t follow up , so can someone kindly update us 🙏
Half time 44-18.Dtigress leading 26 points.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 5:45pm On Aug 03, 2023
23-0 was never really in doubt cheesy
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Redman44(m): 5:48pm On Aug 03, 2023
lovewins:

Sarah Ogoke has her ON and OFF days. She is a good player though. She has not been great at this year's Afrobasket. I knew D'tigress will dominate today's game. When our ladies staged a come back against Mozambique yesterday and won the game, I knew we had a chance of making the finals.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 5:51pm On Aug 03, 2023
Amy okonkwo leads the team with 16 points shooting 80% from 3 (Simply Amazing), followed by Pallas with 8 points also shooting 80% from 2.

Summarily, the team is shooting:

35% from 2pts
53% from 3pts
75% from free throws

Defensively, the team has the lowest first half turnover since the competition began. An outline of defensive stats below:

4 turnovers
4 blocks
2 steals and
27 Rebounds

27 Rebounds
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 5:55pm On Aug 03, 2023
Redman44:

Sarah Ogoke has her ON and OFF days. She is a good player though. She has not been great at this year's Afrobasket. I knew D'tigress will dominate today's game. When our ladies staged a come back against Mozambique yesterday and won the game, I knew we had a chance of making the finals.

I disagree. I respect are as her player and do wish her the best but I disagree. If other members of the team competed she wouldn't make this team.

In this game she's currently 0 of 4 in shooting. She always came from the bench with Otis. Maybe she was once, but she's definitely not the player she used to be. If more players turnup like I assume they would, she won't make the Olympics team.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 6:08pm On Aug 03, 2023
Thank God for the large lead cause these girls have gone to sleep.

Coach should call timeout now
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Redman44(m): 6:10pm On Aug 03, 2023
lovewins:

I disagree. I respect are as her player and do wish her the best but I disagree. If other members of the team competed she wouldn't make this team.

In this game she's currently 0 of 4 in shooting. She always came from the bench with Otis. Maybe she was once, but she's definitely not the player she used to be. If more players turnup like I assume they would, she won't make the Olympics team.

I agree with you on this one though. Ogoke's era as a D'tigress player should be over with this Afrobasket. Better players are showing up and the fight for shirts for the Olympic Squad will be tough. Rwanda is trying to fight back.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by do4luv14(m): 6:10pm On Aug 03, 2023
chai RWD fighting back ooo
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by dankorode(m): 6:14pm On Aug 03, 2023
do4luv14:
chai RWD fighting back ooo
update us man!
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Queenslander(f): 6:16pm On Aug 03, 2023
Could we get an update here please.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 6:27pm On Aug 03, 2023
Rwanda-41 Nigeria-65
4th quarter in progress

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Fira09(m): 6:44pm On Aug 03, 2023
Final score.

🇷🇼Rwanda 48 : 79 🇳🇬Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 6:44pm On Aug 03, 2023
Yes! D’Tigress are thru to the final

They actually surprised me by shooting 46% from the three-point zone

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 6:45pm On Aug 03, 2023
Final Score

Nigeria 79
Rwanda 48

Nigeria triumphs winning with whopping 31 points.

Nigeria also automatically qualifies for the Olympics pre-qualification stage.

Big ups to Coach Rena Wakama, she got the job done despite the odds.

She deserves commendation.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 7:00pm On Aug 03, 2023
Amy okonkwo led the team with a double double performance of 23 points and 10 rebounds. She was followed by Tomi Taiwo with 12 points. Pallas and Balogun both had 10 points.

Summarily, the team improved on their shooting accuracy, particularly beyond the arc. The team shot:

38% from 2pts
45% from 3pts
73% from free throws

Defensively, the team has the lowest turnover since the competition began. An outline of defensive stats below:

11 turnovers
9 blocks
5 steals and
51 Rebounds

Nigeria will now face the winner between Mali and Senegal in the Finals in her defence of the title.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by starstaz(m): 7:18pm On Aug 03, 2023
starstaz:
This Uganda Nigeria tie is too close to be called hypertension session. And for this singular reason, I swear that all the exco members that were involved in disbandment of our formidable 3times back to back champions including Sunday Dare, will not perish well "sportically" speaking.

How can we paraded a diluted team to an African championship that has become our birth right. As far as am concerned, a sequence of 5 to 7 championship is our birth right if only we keep it good off field (administrative set up) and on field by using quality and tested players .

This country tire person.

4th consecutive finals at the pit,
is no mean feat. congratulations to the girls and their team spirit. it would have been so disappointing if we had lost to an emerging team like Mozambique yesterday.

looking forward to the return of the key players as soon as possible to complement these new lads and create a formidable depth and resources for these giant and tigresss.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 7:49pm On Aug 03, 2023
starstaz:

4th consecutive finals at the pit,
is no mean feat. congratulations to the girls and their team spirit. it would have been so disappointing if we had lost to an emerging team like Mozambique yesterday.

looking forward to the return of the key players as soon as possible to complement these new lads and create a formidable depth and resources for these giant and tigresss.
Yea, I’m especially looking forward to the return of Promise, Akhator, Macaulay and Nyingifa! Promise would solve the ball-handling issue easily

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 8:07pm On Aug 03, 2023
PDPGuy:

Yea, I’m especially looking forward to the return of Promise, Akhator, Macaulay and Nyingifa! Promise would solve the ball-handling issue easily

Not sure Akhator is ever returning. She got married and just got delivered of her child.

Promise is the one I most look forward too. She handles the ball really well

Macaulay is also preparing for her last stint with the team. She's 32/33yrs already.

Potentially, we have Michaela Onyewere and maybe Queen Egbo in the WNBA.

Nneka Ogwumike may also join the team, as the 3 year hiatus that FIBA have has since elapsed.

Arike Ogunbowale is still hoping to join team USA and has since attended 2 camps in the last 1 year. Fingers crossed on her.

Too many talents that will potentially make this team 100 times better. It's left to coach Wakama to determine how that will work, but this team definitely can't compete at the world stage or get am Olympic ticket.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by do4luv14(m): 8:22pm On Aug 03, 2023
dankorode:
update us man!

Was on the road, I can see we won, would had been a sound beating, we let them fly in the 3rd quarter

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (99) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Uruguay Fifa U17 World Cup (2 - 0) On 2nd November 2013 / Salaries Of Nigerian Premier League Players. / Tunisia Vs Nigeria: AFCON Third Place (0 - 1) Full Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.