Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,956 members, 7,828,377 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics - Sports (95) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics (104295 Views)

Super Falcons Beat Banyana Banyana (0-1 Agg) - Qualify For Paris 2024 Olympics / Nigeria's D’Tigress Finish 8th At FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup / D’tigress Beats Argentina And Qualifies For Quarter Final, Makes History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 4:34pm On Feb 06
lovewins:

Their training camp roster was already indicative of the kind of squad they are bringing. This again brings to the fore why Arike Ogunbowale isn't considering switching allegiances. It's obvious she won't make the Olympics team seeing she didn't even make the qualifying round. A'ja Wilson and Chelsea Gray were excused cause A'ja had prior commitments and Cheltis nursing an injury. These players both have a sure slot for Paris. Really can't see how Arike makes the team cause she's a liability defensively (even though she improved on it last season).

She should keep ignoring Nigeria till it’s too late… For the past 4 years or thereabout, a national team has been inviting you to countless training camps, but has never selected you for a major tournament, yet you’re still nursing a false hope.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 4:37pm On Feb 06
Redman44:

I think Dtigress can beat Belgium and Senegal. And give the Americans a tough game. It is all about FOCUS and TACTICS.
You’re spot on with your last sentence. I recall that D’Tigress were 5 mins away from recording a famous win over the U.S. 4 years ago(in fact that game was tied with 2 mins to go), but their slightly superior talent prevailed.
So the key to being competitive against the U.S., on Friday, would be to keep it tight at the back and attack with precision
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 6:48pm On Feb 06
carbonado:
....she simply does not rate us plain and simple, we can chase others talents In Micheala Onyekwere, Queen Egbo..

We don't need to chase those ones. They are never playing for the USA, not in a million years. If they want they should contact the coach. They aren't Arike level talent even though they'll of course improve our own pool of talent.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 6:50pm On Feb 06
PDPGuy:

You’re spot on with your last sentence. I recall that D’Tigress were 5 mins away from recording a famous win over the U.S. 4 years ago(in fact that game was tied with 2 mins to go), but their slightly superior talent prevailed.
So the key to being competitive against the U.S., on Friday, would be to keep it tight at the back and attack with precision

Problem however is that we don't have the same squad and the USA has a better squad than 4 years ago. Not expectant though I hope someone like Amy balls out so she can get in the radar of WNBA teams.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 6:54pm On Feb 06
Redman44:

I think Dtigress can beat Belgium and Senegal. And give the Americans a tough game. It is all about FOCUS and TACTICS.

Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? No. Belgium are rated 3rd in the power rankings for a reason and we sadly have a disjointed team (hy disjointed I mean a team that hasn't played together for a long time).

We will likely see a new starting 5. I'm predicting Promise and maybe Ebo comes into the mix. So we will have 5 folks playing together for the first time. My own is that they must understand the assignment, which is beat Senegal and qualify. Every other thing is an addition.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 7:08pm On Feb 06
lovewins:

We don't need to chase those ones. They are never playing for the USA, not in a million years. If they want they should contact the coach. They aren't Arike level talent even though they'll of course improve our own pool of talent.
...lol...we do not need to chase, however,I do not know if anyone from the NBBF side has contacted them..these ladies are WNBA players,that will really help our team, as we are weak at the low post currently. What is your take our present post players vs former squad post players which is better(Chidom,Vicky). So if we can get Michaela and Queen,that will be perfect,also a Kiki Iriefein(Stanford).

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 9:20pm On Feb 06
carbonado:
...lol...we do not need to chase, however,I do not know if anyone from the NBBF side has contacted them..these ladies are WNBA players,that will really help our team, as we are weak at the low post currently. What is your take our present post players vs former squad post players which is better(Chidom,Vicky). So if we can get Michaela and Queen,that will be perfect,also a Kiki Iriefein(Stanford).

There's no comparing the former with the present quite frankly. Vicky and Chidom are miles ahead of Nkem, Nicole and Musa who I'm guessing will be running point now. At best, I see the later as bench players who will bring value to the team on the bench. Remember that was the case when they were all in the team together. Nkem and Musa were bench players and Nicole didn't even make the team.

We however have to make do with what we have. Queen Egbo is a 2 way player that brings more to the team defensively. She was solid for Indiana and Washington last season. Michaela (who was just traded to Chicago today) wasn't rookie of the year for nothing. So I agree that we need them I however think that we both need each other seeing there's no world in which they'll be considered for a US training roster talk less a tournament.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 11:25pm On Feb 06
Just discovered that Queen Egbo has played for the U.S. U-19 team, so she may need FIBA clearance to be on D’Tigress team…

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 11:28pm On Feb 06
lovewins:

Problem however is that we don't have the same squad and the USA has a better squad than 4 years ago. Not expectant though I hope someone like Amy balls out so she can get in the radar of WNBA teams.
Yeah
It’s gonna be an uphill battle for sure. I’m sure Amy would want to put on a show against US, so I won’t expect her to be slacking in that game
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Redman44(m): 4:55am On Feb 07
PDPGuy:

Yeah
It’s gonna be an uphill battle for sure. I’m sure Amy would want to put on a show against US, so I won’t expect her to be slacking in that game

Dtigress beat France last time though, under Otis Hughley during the qualifiers for the Tokyo Olympics. Belgium is BEATABLE if our ladies are focused and tactful. We have some game winning players in the current D'tigress Squad.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 8:55am On Feb 07
PDPGuy:
Just discovered that Queen Egbo has played for the U.S. U-19 team, so she may need FIBA clearance to be on D’Tigress team…
...i do not think that is an hinderance, i think provided she has a Nigerian passport nd has not played for the senior team at any competitive game, then she is good t go...i might be wrong though.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 9:08am On Feb 07
Redman44:

Dtigress beat France last time though, under Otis Hughley during the qualifiers for the Tokyo Olympics. Belgium is BEATABLE if our ladies are focused and tactful. We have some game winning players in the current D'tigress Squad.
.....i like your faith, it is inspiring, the only thing is, are we taking the same quality of players to belgium compared to the last time we beat France, you know that old team has been around for a while, growing together and all, i actually believed that that 2022 world cup was ours to medal at the global stage,provided we did not run into U.S, however Nigeria and NBBF happened. At the moment, the squad is weaker than what it use to be at all levels and that is a fact,hence, they had to bring Promise back to strengthen the guard position, Remember our guard play was really weak during Afrobasket, however, the saving grace was we had good shooters on the team in Amy,Taiwo,Elizebeth. See, they have just one job, beat Senegal. I am not going to be watching thinking it will be close game with the U.S, Chances of beating Belgium is slim, although posible, it is very slim.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 9:48am On Feb 07
carbonado:
...i do not think that is an hinderance, i think provided she has a Nigerian passport nd has not played for the senior team at any competitive game, then she is good t go...i might be wrong though.

It could be. Elizabeth Williams also played for one of the age group teams and she needed to go through that process and Fiba if I remember correctly didn't even grant it. As long as you have played for the age grade team you'll need to switch cause on FIBA's database you are registered as a member of that country.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 12:16pm On Feb 07
lovewins:

It could be. Elizabeth Williams also played for one of the age group teams and she needed to go through that process and Fiba if I remember correctly didn't even grant it. As long as you have played for the age grade team you'll need to switch cause on FIBA's database you are registered as a member of that country.
...I get you, however are you sure Elizabeth ever had a Nigerian passport till that moment. I will even try to look up what the criterias are. There other criterias too.

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 2:08am On Feb 08
It’s game day!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 3:28am On Feb 08
Here’s the final OQT rooster

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 4:56am On Feb 08
carbonado:
...I get you, however are you sure Elizabeth ever had a Nigerian passport till that moment. I will even try to look up what the criterias are. There other criterias too.

This screenshot literally makes my point. It has nothing to do with having dual passports, but once you've competed with a particular country, you are recognised as that on their database and will need to apply for a switch before it happens. Of course there are rules and other intricacies.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 4:58am On Feb 08
PDPGuy:
Here’s the final OQT rooster

Nkem didn't make the squad. Not surprising.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 8:30am On Feb 08
lovewins:

This screenshot literally makes my point. It has nothing to do with having dual passports, but once you've competed with a particular country, you are recognised as that on their database and will need to apply for a switch before it happens. Of course there are rules and other intricacies.
..I get you, however,that is not entirely true, if you competed at the u16 age grade,you can still switch provided both federations agree, read screenshot again.It is when you competed after age 19 that you can't switch again...yes the passport does not matter. At 16,you can still switch, after 17 years,you can't switch again. I don't this rule joor,it should be a age grade before the senior national team, preferably the U19. Some players have live long dreams,for example Olympics,they will never get a looking in another country,let them have ample to switch.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 11:35am On Feb 08
carbonado:
..I get you, however,that is not entirely true, if you competed at the u16 age grade,you can still switch provided both federations agree, read screenshot again.It is when you competed after age 19 that you can't switch again...yes the passport does not matter. At 16,you can still switch, after 17 years,you can't switch again. I don't this rule joor,it should be a age grade before the senior national team, preferably the U19. Some players have live long dreams,for example Olympics,they will never get a looking in another country,let them have ample to switch.

I think you're arguing a different point o. The argument isn't whether you can switch or not, it's whether you will need to switch once you play for another nation. Of course you can switch if you play for another country and there's a FIBA rule that guides that. The reason FIBA have for Nneka's request not being granted was because she had played significant years with team USA (over 10 years if I remember correctly). There's also a 3 year hiatus expected of you before you switch from one country to another (I think this is the reason Elizabeth Williams request wasn't granted). That is, there has to be a 3 year gap between when you last played for the previous nation and your application for the new one. Chiney didn't have this issue as hers was granted but I think she opted out instead.

So the point I made was as long as you have played for another country, you'll need to apply for a switch to play for another. Whether that request is granted or not is another conversation all together.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by MSGAMBLE9: 11:54am On Feb 08
lovewins:

Please has Ogwunike sisters issues with representation been solved....what is the latest on them as regards the national team? cos I know Chiney is more into punditry now and her elder sister just changed team.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 12:47pm On Feb 08
MSGAMBLE9:
Please has Ogwunike sisters issues with representation been solved....what is the latest on them as regards the national team? cos I know Chiney is more into punditry now and her elder sister just changed team.

Like I said earlier, Chiney doesn't seem to have a problem, as she could have played at the last Olympics if she wanted to. The problem however was that FIBA granted her status as a "naturalized citizen" and not a normal Nigerian citizen. That was absurd seeing that her sister Erica who had same status as Chiney didn't have a problem filing as a Normal Nigerian and Chiney had never played for the US at any level. She instead decided to appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sports.

By virtue of FIBA rules, you can't switch nationalilt once you're above 17 and have played for another nation except granted exception by FIBA. Elizabeth and Nneka's application for exception was refused by FIBA cause they believe they both have spent significant years with team USA. They both appealed too, but not sure how it turned out finally.

Pretty sure they have all moved on and will likely not be making another attempt.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 6:40pm On Feb 08
First Quarter

Nigeria 20
Senegal 18

Nigeria struggled on the offensive end towards the later part of the quarter. Hoping we make better shot selections and our offense improves.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 6:40pm On Feb 08
First quarter Ngr20 : Senegal 18...
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 6:40pm On Feb 08
We are not crashing the boards like we used too..
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 7:04pm On Feb 08
First half

Nigeria 37
Senegal 46
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by dankorode(m): 7:43pm On Feb 08
Make this update dey flow nah
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by dankorode(m): 7:44pm On Feb 08
abeg who dey here?
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by MSGAMBLE9: 7:44pm On Feb 08
lovewins:
First half

Nigeria 37
Senegal 46
8 point deficit heading into 4th... it's getting scary!!! 57-49.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 7:44pm On Feb 08
3rd Quarter

Nigeria 49
Senegal 57

This is sad to watch. Just shows what happens when you expect to put up a show without adequate preparation.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 7:50pm On Feb 08
Let's gooooooo!
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 7:50pm On Feb 08
Tension won kill me..

(1) (2) (3) ... (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (Reply)

How To Turn #150 Into #4,000,000 This Weekend + (bet9ja Booking Number) / Libya Vs Nigeria: AFCON Qualifiers - 2 - 3 (Full Time) / Salaries Of Nigerian Premier League Players.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.