Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert (9192 Views)

Actress Tonto Dikeh Ridiculed For Showing Off Her Panties At A Park / Your Pant Is Dirty; Watch As Fans Ridiculed Mercy Aigbe's Daughter / Juliet Ibrahim: I Have Been Called K-Legs, Mocked And Ridiculed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by bisiswag(f): 8:31am On Feb 13, 2019
Ehn ehn,ridicule bawo,shuo,wonders shall never end.
Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by Charmingrascal(m): 8:58am On Feb 13, 2019
Must you people attach tribalism to everything? It is just an harmless advert don't be surprised if it was even a Yoruba person that brought that idea.

Don't be a tribal bigot my friend

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by scoundrel(f): 3:08pm On May 08, 2020
Hahaha. OP went knee-deep to see the advert in such light. Man, you kids colour everything with a tribal brush.

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by Strika22(m): 3:13pm On May 08, 2020
The OP is an embittered soul who doesn’t have any sense of humor... Tueh

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by FOLLYVENTURES: 3:52pm On May 08, 2020
Simplybami:
The Yoruba's tribe passion for acquisition of knowledge through formal education is our hallmark which also serves as the outstanding feature which distinguishes us among other ethnic groups. We understand the values of education and this has helped in building and maintaining our tradition of intellectualism that has been in existence over centuries.

However, if a corporate brand like Airtel Nigeria is looking for a tribe to patronise in a condescending way amongst the ethnic groups we have in Nigeria, the least tribe to be considered for the ingenuous act is Yoruba tribe considering our level of exposure. As a matter of fact, no tribe should be represented as such, because there are educated people in our ethnic groups.

I watched in dismay the new advert of Airtel Nigeria featuring some nollywood actors. Ngozi Iwosu represented the igbo tribe, while Idowu Philips popularly known as Iya Rainbow, represented the yoruba tribe.

The advert clearly depicts the rivalry between the two tribes. The battle for who would overshadow the other between the two Mother In-laws; Amaka's Mum (representing the Igbo tribe ) and Mama Rainbow (representing the Yoruba tribe) started during the christening of the new born baby.

The advert centers on the young couple; Amaka and Segun(Segun's role was played by Abdullateef Adedimeji )who recently got married and had their first child. At the christening ceremony, Amaka's mum took the child to take a picture with her.

“Selfie time" she shouted. The crowd gathered around her to be captured.
Mama Rainbow also Brought out her tablet almost immediately, not wanting to be left out of the fanfare.

“Selufie time,” she squealed.

Now back to my drift,Ngozi Iwosu was made to play the character of a sophisticated and educated igbo woman while Iya Rainbow on the other hand is the unlettered Yoruba woman that can't pronounce (selfie time) rather she said 'Selufie time' .Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to cause any controversy as regards the advert. All I just need is a clarification from Airtel Nigeria, the intent of the advert or should i just assume they are just trying to portray the Yoruba tribe as the uneducated tribe?

I agree with this post 80%.
Why would airtel a non Nigerian company who very well knows that Nigeria has been through a civil war and the Ethnic war till today is still very much on. In a bid to be funny decide to Pitch both Tribes against themselves. Why can't they try to foster harmony amongst the two tribes? As a brand they should be better informed and know better.. Imagine a scene where Iya rainbow prepared Amala and Ngozi wasn't having any of that. Its a sinister motive but trust Nigerian youths. They are the dumbest of the dumbest. Airtel should know better. And remove such distasteful advert. Its an eyesore
Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 5:51pm On May 08, 2020
Who told you the Yoruba woman is uneducated?
Educated or not is that not how they behave undecided

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by Nobody: 6:11pm On May 08, 2020
Simplybami:
The Yoruba's tribe passion for acquisition of knowledge through formal education is our hallmark which also serves as the outstanding feature which distinguishes us among other ethnic groups. We understand the values of education and this has helped in building and maintaining our tradition of intellectualism that has been in existence over centuries.

However, if a corporate brand like Airtel Nigeria is looking for a tribe to patronise in a condescending way amongst the ethnic groups we have in Nigeria, the least tribe to be considered for the ingenuous act is Yoruba tribe considering our level of exposure. As a matter of fact, no tribe should be represented as such, because there are educated people in our ethnic groups.

I watched in dismay the new advert of Airtel Nigeria featuring some nollywood actors. Ngozi Iwosu represented the igbo tribe, while Idowu Philips popularly known as Iya Rainbow, represented the yoruba tribe.

The advert clearly depicts the rivalry between the two tribes. The battle for who would overshadow the other between the two Mother In-laws; Amaka's Mum (representing the Igbo tribe ) and Mama Rainbow (representing the Yoruba tribe) started during the christening of the new born baby.

The advert centers on the young couple; Amaka and Segun(Segun's role was played by Abdullateef Adedimeji )who recently got married and had their first child. At the christening ceremony, Amaka's mum took the child to take a picture with her.

“Selfie time" she shouted. The crowd gathered around her to be captured.
Mama Rainbow also Brought out her tablet almost immediately, not wanting to be left out of the fanfare.

“Selufie time,” she squealed.

Now back to my drift,Ngozi Iwosu was made to play the character of a sophisticated and educated igbo woman while Iya Rainbow on the other hand is the unlettered Yoruba woman that can't pronounce (selfie time) rather she said 'Selufie time' .Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to cause any controversy as regards the advert. All I just need is a clarification from Airtel Nigeria, the intent of the advert or should i just assume they are just trying to portray the Yoruba tribe as the uneducated tribe?
dumbo!
Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by Nobody: 6:12pm On May 08, 2020
FOLLYVENTURES:

I agree with this post 80%.
Why would airtel a non Nigerian company who very well knows that Nigeria has been through a civil war and the Ethnic war till today is still very much on. In a bid to be funny decide to Pitch both Tribes against themselves. Why can't they try to foster harmony amongst the two tribes? As a brand they should be better informed and know better.. Imagine a scene where Iya rainbow prepared Amala and Ngozi wasn't having any of that. Its a sinister motive but trust Nigerian youths. They are the dumbest of the dumbest. Airtel should know better. And remove such distasteful advert. Its an eyesore
dumbo!
Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by Nobody: 6:15pm On May 08, 2020
Strika22:
The OP is an embittered soul who doesn’t have any sense of humor... Tueh
he's a dumbo with a master and also the other dumbo that supported him
Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by Nobody: 6:17pm On May 08, 2020
Charmingrascal:
Must you people attach tribalism to everything? It is just an harmless advert don't be surprised if it was even a Yoruba person that brought that idea.

Don't be a tribal bigot my friend

he's already a bigot my friend
Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 08, 2020
@simplybami I hate dt advert too.
nobody ask you to like it and since you're a nobody, nobody fucking care about your like or hate so Bleep your hate to yourself dumbo
Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by FOLLYVENTURES: 9:44pm On May 08, 2020
em527:
dumbo!

Is that your personal nickname? cry
Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by Walexdubia(m): 6:37am On May 09, 2020
Guy really,is this the dumbshit u worrying about

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos From Ini Edo’s Sister’s Wedding / So You Left Your Husband To Sleep With Peter Okoye” – Fans Blast Tiwa Savage / Davido’s Girlfriend Nish Kards Doing Pole Dance Roughly![video]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.