Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,991 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 - Travel (550) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 (912097 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (547) (548) (549) (550) (551) (552) (553) ... (612) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by shege45: 5:37am On Nov 06, 2018
nomad26:
Sorry I can't help with your question, mine is still in progress. But please can you tell me when you started your ICES ECA application and when your transcript was sent to ICES? Thanks man.
my brother, this ECA was a big struggle. It started in april sha. But my transcript was later sent online 2 months ago, verification was 3weeks ago
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by Foreverhopeful: 5:39am On Nov 06, 2018
Gokoyer0:
Congratulations. I envied your resilience.I didn't know why I stopped to Challenge LRWS- 6.5,8,7,8.
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by Foreverhopeful: 5:46am On Nov 06, 2018
Hello Boss,

Please can I send you a PM?

My email address is Femi.resource@gmail.com

Would like to learn more from your experience in

4wearegreat:
How I battled with IELTS for a YEAR!!! - A long and boring story

1st attempt (29 July 2017) - LRWS - 7.5,9, 7.5, 8 (BC)
2nd attempt (Nov) - LRWS - 8.5, 8.5, 6.5, 7.5 (BC) – Requested for remark in writing (no upgrade)
3rd attempt (Jan) - LRWS - 6, 7.5, 7.5, 8.5 (MOD) – Back then speakers were used for listening test
4th attempt (Mar) – LRWS- 8.5, 8, 6.5, 7.5 (BC) - Requested for remark in writing (no upgrade)
5th attempt (April) - LRWS – 7.5, 8, 6.5, 7.5 (MOD)
6th attempt (Jun) - LRWS – 9, 8, 7, N/A (MOD) – I missed my speaking test
7th attempt (28 July 2018) – LRWS – 9, 9, 6.5, 8.5(MOD) - I almost wept because I expected 9, 9, 8, 8

Despite testimonies on upgrade and words of encouragement/advice from friends (on nairaland and other platforms) I was reluctant to initiate an EOR because my experience with EOR hasn’t been favorable and I was as broke as a church mouse.

A friend eventually lent me N100,000 but I was confused on how best to utilize it. I needed some money for my up-keep, so the balance would be for either EOR/another IELTS. Babe suggested re-writing IELTS but I was tired of rehearsing speaking sessions with her, listening to boring IELTS model listening test, reading model IELTS essay, writing IELTS letters and essay (wey nobody dey mark), so I opted for remark even though I wasn’t really expecting an upgrade.

I got an email from MOD that my EOR is available for collection, I showed the email to one of my guys and he said “Baba dem no upgrade the writing oo.” A frustrated me completely agreed with him maybe because I wasn’t expecting an upgrade/because no reference was made to refund of the EOR fees/ because my friend had requested for EOR thrice with MOD (so I kinda trust his judgement) or I was too frustrated to think straight).

However, I asked my sister to collect the TRF on my behalf (at least the score go increase my CRS marginally – who knows, tsunami fit make score drop significantly and the marginal increase could be all I need). Sis sent me the pic of the TRF and to my surprise - my writing was upgraded from 6.5 to 7. With this upgrade CRS go jump reach like 450. grin grin grin

My 2 cent on how to prep for IELTS

General
1- Read page 0 abi na page 1 of this trend
2- Read and follow the instruction on the question paper (e.g not more than 2 words and/or number)
3- For reading and listening – don’t leave any question unanswered.

Listening
1- Download various IELTS listening test from youtube (google “savefromnet”)
2- Print screen and print the listening questions (so you have listening question papers)
3- Practice without headset (this will increase your concentration level especially for those who get distracted easily)
4- Don’t review your answers until the end of the test, use the audio break to review the next set of questions
5- Identify your weak question types, and practice them more
6- For Maps, identify the starting point in the map (e.g the reception, entrance) before the commencement of the audio
7- write on your question paper the north, east, west and south pole of the map – would help if the speaker says something like, the studio is at the north east of the reception
8- Flow with the speaker with the intention of identifying all the locations in the map (for instance the speaker could say the studio is beside the toilet. The questions required you to identify where the studio is but if you ignored the location of the toilet because it was not listed amongst the question, then you have jounze the location of the studio)
9- For matching questions – Instead of matching the answers to the questions when the audio is being played, for each question, write out all the keywords stated by the speaker (use shorthand and abbreviation). At the end of the test, I used 2-3 minutes (out of the 10 minutes) to review the keyword stated for each question vis-à-vis the answer option (I hope this explanation is clear because matching question and maps use to be my problem until I adopted these strategies.
10- For multiple choice question with long sentence – when previewing the questions, underline the keyword, then listen for the keyword or its synonym or paraphrased
11- Write what you hear, not what you think

Reading (GT) – My area of core competence

1- For T/F/NG – True- the passage support the question, False- the passage negate/contradict the question, N/G - the passage states nothing about the question.
2- For section 1 & 2, don’t read the passage first, read and underline keywords in question 1&2, scan through the passage for answers to both. If you spot the answer to question 2 first, there is a possibility that the answer to question 1 was in the preceding sentence or it is N/G (for T/F/NG type of questions.
3- Plan to conclude section 1 & 2 in 20 minutes
4- For section 3 – read each paragraph and summary in one sentence the core idea of the passage (5-10minutes depending on your reading speed) (e.g summary for paragraph A – discovery of white lions, summary for paragraph B – people’s perception about white lion, summary for paragraph C – different studies on temperament of white lions…..summary for paragraph H - extinction of white lions)
5- Read each question (e.g a research conducted in the 19th century showed that white lion are _____, use your paragraph summary to identify the paragraph where the answer lies (See the words in bold, the answer to this question is most likely in paragraph C, so scan through paragraph C for words, synonyms or paraphrase for research, 19th century, white lion are).
6- In my opinion the key to high score in reading is not understanding the passage, rather it is about being able to identify the answers in the passage)
7- I score high in reading but the truth is I rarely.

Speaking

1- For first timers, watch model IELTS speaking video online
2- If possible, rehearse speaking test with someone
3- See samples of task 2 questions and have model answers/topic in mind e.g for any task 2 topic related to trip, holiday, picnic, school excursion etc – would speak about trip to Olumo Rock and adapt as appropriate (have never been to olumo rock before), anything related to an item (gift from someone, gift to someone, item I admire, item I misplaced etc – I will speak about laptop)
4- Use the past, present, future and opinion techniques (you can search youtube for Jay video on this)
5- Lie is possible, in fact tell plenty reasonable and coherent lies (the God you serve will understand and forgive you)
6- See the examiner as your gist/gossip mate, just feel free to yan your “apata”

Writing (I don’t know wetin to write because me gat work on it, but few notes)

1- Watch IELTS videos on writing ( I used orisirisi videos)
2- Print out and study many IELTS model writing essay (the essay structure, use of linking words etc) this will enable you see the application of the skills you learnt from the videos
3- Use “Brighter grammar” or "Premier English"...........sha read to improve your writing
4- Attempt model IELTS writing test under exam condition and ask friends to review it (Big shout out to everyone who offered to review my essay)
[color=#000099][/color]5- Practice writing using model IELTS writing answer booklet – to familiarize yourself with the answer booklet and to have an idea of the numbers of lines you need to write on to achieve the required word count

MOD vs BC - My Opinion

Disclaimer: Please note that below are my personal opinions about MOD & BC at the moment (6/9/18), and not necessarily true or false in all instances.

MOD’s Edge over BC
1- Those who registered early were given to opportunity to choose their preferred speaking date and time
2- Responded to my emails within 24 hours
3- Spent less time trying to calling a customer care representative
4- Cheaper IELTS fees (MOD - NGN68,000 and BC – NGN75,000)
5- Was easy to book for an IELTS test within few days to the test date
6- Was easy to pay for IELTS test or EOR (e.g MOD does not require bank draft not need for EOR
7- If you like low key parole, the probability that you would meet someone you know at MOD test center is small.

BC’s Edge over MOD
1- Better organized on exam date (considering the crowd at both centers)
2- Cheaper EOR fees (MOD – NGN46,124 and BC – NGN15,000)
3- More flexible on speaking test date (if you arrive late or too early) –
4- MOD often use speakers in new center (I prefer headset to speaker)
5- If you like high key parole/you will like to identify frd into this EE stuff for guidance and direction), the probability that you would meet someone you know at BC test center is high
6- Gat centers in more states than MOD
7- More popular in Nigeria than MOD (but who da one help

Note: Based on my experience, your IELTS result is not dependent on whether you write with MOD or BC (except for speaking, where availability of headset could impact on candidate performance).

To everyone who encouraged/advised me - (in Davido's voice) Blessing fall on you
To everyone still battling with IELTS - Fire your shot again. You remember the story of Abraham Lincoln
?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by bigfido: 5:56am On Nov 06, 2018
Hi,
I think i replied your email but i am not sure you got it. I applied as a self-employed applicant. I know what your journey has been like. Firstly, don't write any letter for any client to sign as your job reference letter. if you read back, someone did this and got into hot soup. If you can go through my posts, you will see what you need to apply as a self-employed applicant. The most important things you need are contract letters, your income tax and cac documents. Also make sure the contract figures can be traced in your account. You can always pm me if you need more info to get you through.

See you in Canada

Sthill5:
Good morning guys

So my husband has a US visa refusal from April last year.

Apart from the schedule A form, please what else do we need to submit to explain the refusal?

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by HRgirl: 6:04am On Nov 06, 2018
Sisi92:
Good morning everyone. I have been reading this thread silently since towards the end of part 4. I have read from part 1 and I appreciate the wealth of knowledge I gleaned. Thank you to everyone who improves the thread. My plan was to begin the ECA process this month, while I have also started preparing for IELTS. But somehow, yesterday we discovered that my hubby is hepatitis B positive. I am negative. I was devastated, I think I read somewhere on this thread of someone whose wife was positive too or something. Please does anyone know what this means for my Canadian dream. Is this the end of the road for us? Please help.

Send me a PM as soon as you see this
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by extraterestrial: 6:05am On Nov 06, 2018
PPR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am so excited because I really wanted to announce ppr in this thread 5..it's been a long journey since I joined in thread 3...Back to the main gist;
Decision to travel: January 2018
IELTS (first Attempt) : LWSR-8|8.5|8|6.5 I requested a remark on writing and listening and my scores for both changed by .5 after 12 long weeks thanks to BC
Within this period ECA came through. I evaluated just my Masters degree.
ITA : May 23
Was heavily pregnant by this time so waited for baby's arrival before Applying.
AOR : July 7
Not sure when I passed medicals but was on IP1 till last week (29th October).
ADR: IMM5475 form ..completed and sent that back next day.
And then I woke up to the golden mail.
The wait is worth all the excitement.
Thank you thank you thank you to all my helpers here. Special thanks to those that gave their PPR stories..that kept me going. Good luck to those still in the race. We shall unite in canny land

101 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by kakashi12(m): 6:17am On Nov 06, 2018
shege45:
Who has evaluated his or her credentials via ICES? They just mailed me telling me that my report has been sent. Please would i get a call from the courier company? Because i might not be home when it comes
if you paid for courier, ICES send you a link which can be Used to track the parcel
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by doncorleone(m): 6:29am On Nov 06, 2018
It's PPR guys!!! All thanks goes to God Almighty and all the supportive guys on this platform.

My timeline below:

Decision to travel January 2018

1st IELTS (FEB): LRSW - 7.5, 9, 7.5, 7

2nd IELTS (April): LRSW - 9, 8.5, 7.5, 6 (Applied for remark at BC and it was upgraded to 7 after 2 wks. Funny enough I prepared for this one with just 5 days only listening and 2hrs for writing so I am a bad example lol)

ECA: March 20 WES (evaluated only masters)
POF: Fixed deposit for 6 months (bank reference letter and FD certificate only)
ITA: May 23
AOR: June 23
IP1/MEP: July 6
IP2: Oct 18
ADR: Oct 19 ( Additional Family Information) - submitted Oct 20
NA: Oct 24
PPR dated: Nov 5
Single Applicant,
Visa office - Ottawa

This PPR journey is one of patience ooo! I pray God grants all the PPR hopefuls patience and speedy PPR IJN!

75 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by Fabmummy: 6:42am On Nov 06, 2018
Congratulations to you guys, may the land of Canada favour you all.
Vickyehi
doncorleone
extraterestrial

Guys please include the time the golden mail came in grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by voguemum: 6:44am On Nov 06, 2018
Good morning fam, i want to commend everyone in this group for all the helpful information. I have 3 questions
1. Can I include my junior sister in the list of accompanying family members?

2. Are there Abusites in this thread that have done their course evaluation who can point me in the right direction for transcripts and Wes?

3. Are their wives/mothers going through this process/ journey with kids with non accompanying spouse? "So we can tag along and support one another" or any mother already at the maple land who can give us hint on how to make it work once we cross to the dream land.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by Sthill5: 6:45am On Nov 06, 2018
bigfido:
Hi,
I think i replied your email but i am not sure you got it. I applied as a self-employed applicant. I know what your journey has been like. Firstly, don't write any letter for any client to sign as your job reference letter. if you read back, someone did this and got into hot soup. If you can go through my posts, you will see what you need to apply as a self-employed applicant. The most important things you need are contract letters, your income tax and cac documents. Also make sure the contract figures can be traced in your account. You can always pm me if you need more info to get you through.

See you in Canada

Yea I didn't get your email. Ill send a PM. Thank you
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by ojsamuel(m): 6:45am On Nov 06, 2018
akintunde63:

ICES accepts statement of result. I can authoritatively confirm this.
Scan a copy to them for review, they will reply within 24 HOURS
Many thanks.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by Fabmummy: 6:48am On Nov 06, 2018
voguemum:
Good morning fam, i want to commend everyone in this group for all the helpful informations. I have 3 questions
1. Can I include my junior sister in the list of accompanying family members?

2. Are there Abusites in this forum that have done their course evaluation who can point me in the right direction for transcripts and Wes?

3. Are their wieves/mothers going through this process/ journey with kids with non accompany spouse? "So we can tag along and support one another" or any mother already at the maple land who can give us hint on how to make it work once we cross to the dream land.

1) Have u legally adopted her?
2) No idea
3) A lot
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by CanadianNaija: 6:52am On Nov 06, 2018
extraterestrial:
I am so excited because I really wanted to announce ppr in this thread 5..it's been a long journey since I joined in thread 3...Back to the main gist;
IELTS (first Attempt) : LWSR-8|8.5|8|6.5 I requested a remark on writing and listening and my scores for both changed by .5 after 12 long weeks thanks to BC
Within this period ECA came through. I evaluated just my Masters degree.
ITA : May 23
Was heavily pregnant by this time so waited for baby's arrival before Applying.
AOR : July 7
Not sure when I passed medicals but was on IP1 till last week (29th October).
ADR: IMM5475 form ..completed and sent that back next day.
And then I woke up to the golden mail.
The wait is worth all the excitement.
Thank you thank you thank you to all my helpers here. Special thanks to those that gave their PPR stories..that kept me going. Good luck to those still in the race. We shall unite in canny land

Congrats o. I can’t wait to get my PPR too. I’m tired of waiting.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by fizzile(m): 6:54am On Nov 06, 2018
doncorleone:

ECA: March 20 WES (evaluated only masters)
POF: Fixed deposit for 6 months (bank reference letter and FD certificate only)
Single Applicant,
Visa office - Ottawa

This PPR journey is one of patience ooo! I pray God grants all the PPR hopefuls patience and speedy PPR IJN!
Congrats to you. Please whats the additional family information all about?

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by Enitan007(m): 6:59am On Nov 06, 2018
Congratulations
vickyehi:
.............[i]..clears throat, goes back to email to make sure it is still there, smiles and cant stop smiling
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by joo2018: 6:59am On Nov 06, 2018
Great way to start the morning!

Congrats @vickyehi, @Doncorleone @extraterestrial.

Go and excel in your new home!

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by Sthill5: 7:01am On Nov 06, 2018
Congratulations to the new PPR recipients

We need more o
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by Nobody: 7:02am On Nov 06, 2018
DonTee07:

Congratulations. Go and prosper IJN.
But she is there already.
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by Enitan007(m): 7:02am On Nov 06, 2018
Congratulations
extraterestrial:
IELTS

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by CanadianNaija: 7:03am On Nov 06, 2018
vickyehi:
...............clears throat, goes back to email to make sure it is still there, smiles and cant stop smiling.... grin grin

IT IS PPR FAM kiss kiss kiss

I was one of the many people that has always dreamed of how long my epistle was going to be. I had recited and gone over so many ways to announce my ppr. Alas it is here and my words fail me. All I can say is that I thank the one who has done exceeedinly above my every expectations.
Secondly, I want to also thank the RNs in the house who took their time to point me in the right direction. Also thank you all for your moral support and all the wonderful testimonies that keeps us hopeful.

Timeline:
ITA.....13th june(I think)
AOR.....21st June
Ist gcms .......no complain
2nd gcms.......awaiting (ordered oct 19th)
PPR.........5th nov

To my remaining June team and those still expectant, your day of rejoicing is closer than you think. Just keep faith and take ur chill pill tongue

Congrats on your PPR.
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by Kods1900: 7:07am On Nov 06, 2018
Congrats.

vickyehi:
...............clears throat, goes back to email to make sure it is still there, smiles and cant stop smiling.... grin grin

I was one of the many people that has always dreamed of how long my epistle was going to be. I had recited and gone over so many ways to announce my ppr. Alas it is here and my words fail me. All I can say is that I thank the one who has done exceeedinly above my every expectations.
Secondly, I want to also thank the RNs in the house who took their time to point me in the right direction. Also thank you all for your moral support and all the wonderful testimonies that keeps us hopeful.

Timeline:
AOR.....21st June
PPR.........5th nov

To my remaining June team and those still expectant, your day of rejoicing is closer than you think. Just keep faith and take ur chill pill tongue
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by MsDee29: 7:08am On Nov 06, 2018
Congratulations!!
vickyehi:

Timeline:
AOR.....21st June
PPR.........5th nov

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by extraterestrial: 7:09am On Nov 06, 2018
Fabmummy:
Congratulations to you guys, may the land of Canada favour you all.
Vickyehi
doncorleone
extraterestrial

Guys please include the time the golden mail came in grin grin
Mine came in at 5.17am and dated 5th Nov. thank youu

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by MsDee29: 7:10am On Nov 06, 2018
Congrats! Been waiting for this since you announced IP2
extraterestrial:

I am so excited because I really wanted to announce ppr in this thread 5..it's been a long journey since I joined in thread 3...

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by Nobody: 7:13am On Nov 06, 2018
The PPR rain is here, let it fall.. anytime i see - its PPR!! The joy i feel, i can't explain.

19 Likes

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by MsDee29: 7:13am On Nov 06, 2018
Congrats!
doncorleone:
It's PPR guys!!! All thanks goes to God Almighty and all the supportive guys on this platform.

My timeline below:

Single Applicant,
Visa office - Ottawa

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by doncorleone(m): 7:15am On Nov 06, 2018
Me I nor know for them o. Its funny cos I am a single applicant. But I think it may be an opportunity to update them if my marital status has changed or probably during application some family fields were blank
fizzile:
Congrats to you. Please whats the additional family information all about?
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by glowberry(f): 7:20am On Nov 06, 2018
Christine77:
Good morning all,
Please any lawyer in the house on this journey? Can I pm you?
Also any IUO alumni present? I need help. Thanks

Hi do you still need an IUO alumni?
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by Jasmine17(m): 7:20am On Nov 06, 2018
Congratulations guys. May you prosper in your new home.
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by hykin: 7:23am On Nov 06, 2018
Congratulations

vickyehi:

Timeline:
AOR.....21st June
PPR.........5th nov
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 by Jasmine17(m): 7:25am On Nov 06, 2018
I am still battling WES. School has sent my verification twice in 1 week. WES still claims not to have seen it.

If i swear for the person wey sit on my verification, e go look for visa to sambisa.

embarassed

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (547) (548) (549) (550) (551) (552) (553) ... (612)

Travelling To Canada Part 11 / General German Visa Enquiries Part 3 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.