Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,706 members, 7,820,467 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. (22637 Views)

17-Year-Old Girl Lures Man From Lagos To Osun, Robs Him Of N1.5M (Pictures) / Woman Gang-Raped And Robbed Of N30,000 In Edo & Killed (Photo) / Policemen Arrested At A Bank While Waiting To Extort Men Of N1 Million. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Nobody: 10:56am On Aug 10, 2018
sirusX:

If your sim has access to your bvn, they can swap your sim and then use the code to display your bvn

This gives them access they need in combination with other details they must have acquired to transfer funds out of her account
one needs to be careful nowadays
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Aarenasbaba(m): 10:57am On Aug 10, 2018
Sue MTN ...... You can av your money back
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Judolisco(m): 10:57am On Aug 10, 2018
HungerBAD:
This is bad.

This could have been prevented to a large extent if that person was like me.

My BVN is in my head.

I have no ATM cards(not even one), I don't have online access to any of my accounts. I don't have a current account or sign cheques.

Whatever I have, are in my Savings Accounts,and for you to take anything from there, you have to walk into the Bank.

It is not convenient, but it is better and safer.
Oga u dey vex gan o
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by writetopoker: 10:57am On Aug 10, 2018
jenigurl:

Smart and saavy
you are not smart enough, phone transfers need not all these things you mentioned to defraud. In fact if you do not have an online account it is even more risky and easier. Nigeria is messed up I swear. Sentiment apart

1 Like

Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by zone51: 10:58am On Aug 10, 2018
This is not new, don't stress yourself much, I have been in this shoe before...Simply get a lawyer to write to MTN and the Bank, you will get your money in 72hours Max
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by gunnersway(m): 10:58am On Aug 10, 2018
Donald95:
This story no add at all.

Was it also MTN that gave out your USSD banking transaction pin?
I no won talk too much abeg I won sleep.

Why Bank first instead of customer care. You knew exactly where they were heading next because you've compromised some personal data
The MTN staff that authorised the swap request is to be arrested and detained. Upon requesting for sim swap, you are always asked to present your valid ID card but some money monger agents that should be sacked already will cut corners and collect a meagre 2k or 3k to do it for you with fake ID or without any at all which is very bad. So the principal suspect is the mtncustomer agent that logged in the swap request in the first place

4 Likes

Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by stanisbaratheon: 10:58am On Aug 10, 2018
I thought when you do a sim swap the original sim stops existing? How then did she receive a text on the old sim after the swap?
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by jayinfo2(m): 10:58am On Aug 10, 2018
HungerBAD:
This is bad.

My BVN is in my head.

I have no ATM cards(not even one), I don't have online access to any of my accounts. I don't have a current account or sign cheques.

Whatever I have, are in my Savings Accounts,and for you to take anything from there, you have to walk into the Bank.

There was a time access bank denied me access of withdrawing from d counter except I used my ATM . most banks still made Withdrawer from ATM compulsory.
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by jidexpet(m): 10:58am On Aug 10, 2018
make i go buy KOLO for saving to avoid fraudsters

1 Like

Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by hatedisplace: 10:59am On Aug 10, 2018
FlirtyKaren:
A man has taken to twitter to rant on how an MTN customer lost N1 million to fraudsters after MTN allegedly gave them access to her SIM and allowed it to be swapped without her consent.

The affected lady identified as Miss Joy allegedly got the message from MTN after her SIM had been successfully swapped by the scammers.

Customer robbed of N1 million after MTN allegedly gave access to her SIM

Read the post as updated on twitter by @touchsquarehq

https://lailasnews.com/customer-robbed-of-n1-million-after-mtn-allegedly-gave-access-to-her-sim/

big fat lie
The bank can trace the account the money was transferred to. Bloggers lie with sense I beg Una
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by classicfrank4u(m): 10:59am On Aug 10, 2018
HungerBAD:
This is bad.

My BVN is in my head.

al dis security jst 4 dat small 5k for ur accnt ?

2 Likes

Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Nobody: 10:59am On Aug 10, 2018
writetopoker:
you are not smart enough, phone transfers need not all these things you mentioned to defraud. In fact if you do not have an online account it is even more risky and easier. Nigeria is messed up I swear. Sentiment apart

Direct you post to the author of that comment and next time try and be civil
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Jonra(m): 11:01am On Aug 10, 2018
Quite frankly, the headline is misleading

There's more to this story than meets the eye or heart.

Expecting a robust response from the yellow boys.

2 Likes

Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Reference(m): 11:01am On Aug 10, 2018
HungerBAD:
This is bad.

My BVN is in my head.

Then you are an insignificant financial player and the general advice does not apply. The warning is for people engaged in ventures and businesses that require regular financial transactions.

2 Likes

Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by rezzy: 11:02am On Aug 10, 2018
pannyman:
So after the SIM swap, on which line did they receive the swap alert? Looks like fake news to me.

I dey wonder too
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Nobody: 11:02am On Aug 10, 2018
Please on which line you received the SWAP message, the same MTN line?
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Lilimax(f): 11:02am On Aug 10, 2018
MTN is wack! They are very careless I swear embarassed
I have stopped using their network .

I still have a pending case with them.

I lost my phone sometime ago and wanted to reclaim back my SIM at their outlet in Ogba, Lagos. After supplying all the necessary information to them so as to regain my SIM, I was told that the SIM does not belong to me. I became very curious!
I repeated the same thing in Allen branch and same response was given to me. I became very mad at them.
However, one of their Customer care executive helped me to check what was happening only for me to be told that
another person bearing the same First name and surname with me has been allocated the number to. She showed me the picture of the person and it happened to be my mother-in-law.

I had to call my Mother In-law in the East cos we bear the same First name and surname and she told me she just updated her
SIM registration not quite long only for my Number to have allocated to her.
Till date I have lost the number .

MTN is a careless network provider!

2 Likes

Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by damosade(m): 11:05am On Aug 10, 2018
Somebody somewhere is hiding the truth from us.. We are not daft for crying out loud. Who gave them number that u received alert on? Who gave scammer the pin to your mtn line to make the transfer? Which account was the money transferred to? Was the 1m done the same day (which is not possible) did you contact the bank?
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by rezzy: 11:05am On Aug 10, 2018
jidexpet:
make i go buy KOLO for saving to avoid fraudsters
KOLO dey disappear money, abi you no know? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by phadat(m): 11:08am On Aug 10, 2018
HungerBAD:
This is bad.

My BVN is in my head.

That's what my boss an elderly man does, to collect money he has to go to the bank himself,no online transactions compared to me if my ATM card loss peren HBP
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by holuphisayor(m): 11:09am On Aug 10, 2018
Now this is getting serious. This ussd fraud must be checked asap.

I hope they'll enforce that you can only swap at customer care centers and with valid ID.
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by owobloww: 11:10am On Aug 10, 2018
Maybe her boyfriend or a close relation that lives with her
modelmike7:
Something is missing in all these.
This is a fraud from home or from someone who knows all about her info.
MTN are not that daft or unprofessional.
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by owobloww: 11:11am On Aug 10, 2018
Maybe her boyfriend or a close relation that lives with her,that might just be the case unless she just wan sue mtn for nothing
modelmike7:
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Beface(m): 11:12am On Aug 10, 2018
modelmike7:
Chairman MTN is currently swamping sims from 3G to 4G free of charge through some casual staffs and I have done mine but to be frank I did it with fear despite the fact that my main account is not link to the bank.

1 Like

Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Buhari2019: 11:12am On Aug 10, 2018
Tapout:
okay what I'm going to say will attract mentions saying things like

1. You that doesn't have up to 1m, show us your phone
2. Using a high end phone isn't her priority
3. You that is using a high end phone what have u achieved
4. And so much more.....

But I will still say what I have to say....
How can she have up to 1m & still be using such phone sad it's not even a Nokia product. sad sad

If this story is true, then mtn is in dip sh"it... She should Sue them asap!!
Are you stupid? My friend lost huge amount of money when he lost his phone. He is using Nokia touch.
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Yomboy4ever(m): 11:15am On Aug 10, 2018
Something is missing here. Maximum transfer using your sim is 200k per day na
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by oshe11: 11:15am On Aug 10, 2018
HungerBAD:
This is bad.

My BVN is in my head.

But if they were to swap your SIM without your knowledge(as in this case), they can access your BVN too
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Buhari2019: 11:16am On Aug 10, 2018
phadat:

That's what my boss an elderly man does, to collect money he has to go to the bank himself,no online transactions compared to me if my ATM card loss peren HBP
He is not still safe. If they stole your phone, call your network provide to block your line.
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Partnerbiz(f): 11:20am On Aug 10, 2018
sirusX:

If your sim has access to your bvn, they can swap your sim and then use the code to display your bvn

This gives them access they need in combination with other details they must have acquired to transfer funds out of her account

How?
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by PotatoSalad(m): 11:23am On Aug 10, 2018
damosade:
Somebody somewhere is hiding the truth from us.. We are not daft for crying out loud. Who gave them number that u received alert on? Who gave scammer the pin to your mtn line to make the transfer? Which account was the money transferred to? Was the 1m done the same day (which is not possible) did you contact the bank?
About transferring 1m, it's possible. My daily maximum transfer limit is 1,000,000.
The other info in the news are bs. The story isn't complete

2 Likes

Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by bobkezel(m): 11:25am On Aug 10, 2018
This is why it is safer to pin lock ur Sim card.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Commits Suicide Over Inability To Payback A Business Loan / Two Men Drug & Rape Girl In Cross River; Blackmail Her With Video Recording / Forced Marriage: Abducted Teenager Freed From Emir’s Palace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.