Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,227 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:58 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (793148 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by farcorn: 6:22pm On Aug 19, 2018
Dear Nairalander;
Good day to you all; pls can someone get a full ride scholarship for undergraduate studies for a course like nursing with a good grade in SAT.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 7:02pm On Aug 19, 2018
hello guys

I heard there are certain arrangements whereby one gets to the US first and subsequent pays the school fees and other expenses. Useful info on schools that support this arrangements will be highly appreciated.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Sheq: 8:33pm On Aug 19, 2018
Please is it possible to get student loan offers? And woukd the vo at the embassy know about it....and can it be a red flag?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Judgepelumi(m): 9:39pm On Aug 19, 2018
Spotlighte:

Congratulations!!
Thanks

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Judgepelumi(m): 9:39pm On Aug 19, 2018
jelmusboy:
Could you please share the number you called?
Lagos embassy (234)-1-460-3400

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Judgepelumi(m): 9:40pm On Aug 19, 2018
GahiaO:
congrats. Trust me I know how it feels to be on AP. I myself have been on AP since the 11th of August. My interview was at the Abuja consulate. It’s hasn’t been easy since. The tension no here. To make things worse, The abuja embassy is closed at the moment. Anyways, I would like to know the number you called?
Lagos embassy (234)-1-460-3400

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Judgepelumi(m): 9:40pm On Aug 19, 2018
GahiaO:
also please check your mail.
Thanks.. Just responded
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by sunshineluv5: 10:30pm On Aug 19, 2018
Thank you so much @ Daniel,Time2smile, imnaknus,spolights,amasophy,olayinka15 and capitonemax.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by ObenJoshua(m): 10:49pm On Aug 19, 2018
Judgepelumi:
LONG POST ALERT!!!
Today is Sunday so I want to share my testimony grin cheesy
I've been following this thread since December 2017 after Canada bounced me and this thread played a great role in my choice of school and visa prep & all of that. IMO, I think getting a visa is now harder than before especially when you don't have a plan or you don't know why you want to further your study. I saw many blues that day and people who dressed inappropriately for the interview(I was just smh).
July 19, I was interviewed by a tall slim lady @window4 and I was just praying not to be directed to the black woman tho she fine with nice pomo lips grin, Lol.
As an Accountant wey I be, I wore my suit, white shirt and a wine tie+pock square. I'm not sure I've any better advise to give other than the ones the elders here have always reiterated. But it's best you speak with all sincerity & be confident, plan(i mean you should know what you want), prepare well and pray well too. With God, all things are possible.

Vo: Good morning, can you pass your passport
Vo: Why are you going to the US
Me: I am going to Montclair State University, NJ for my Masters in Accounting with a concentration in Forensic Accounting (she tried to cut me but i had to rush my words just to mention my concentration)
Vo: Did you apply to any other school?
Me: Yes College at Brockport, SUNY
Vo: Which of the campuses?
Me: Rochester (I never knew if they had other campus stations but i was lucky to remember the day i dialled the Grad coord's nos it showed Rochester on truecaller)
Vo: So why did you pick MSU over Brockport?
Me: Aside that MSU offers a concentration in Forensic accounting and accredited by AACSB, MSU is the best public university and the most innovative business school in NJ. Aside that, the curriculum is well designed such that it doesn't focus alone on the theoretical aspect but it integrates a lot of practical case studies which would be beneficial for me going forward in my career. I will also get hands on experience with software training that helps to get a full picture of someone's financial habits and activities, track spending patterns and combine information from multiple financial accounts and I will get moot court room experience as well. The curriculum also ensures that when I eventually take my CFE exams, I'd not need to take extra classes.
Vo: You've been working at XYZ for how long?
Me: 5-6months now, started late Feb
Vo: And before then you worked at shengbele company, what do they do there?
Me: Its an Audit firm
Vo: Have you ever applied to another country(I guess she'd see through their database)?
Me: Yes that was last year, Canada
Vo: What program was that?
Me: A PGD in HRM
Vo: So why are you switching to accounting?
Me: I have been an accountant for a while and my undergraduate degree was in accounting so I have decided to remain in that career path
Vo: Was there no Msc Accounting in Canada? Why didn't you apply there, why US?
Me: The tuition fees were expensive and I couldn't afford it
Vo: Oh that's why you went for a PGD instead
Me: Yes
Vo: Have you been to the US before?
Me: No
Vo: Married, kids?
Vo: Does anyone in your family have a visa
Vo: So what will you do with this degree after school
Me: This degree will afford me the qualifications to take up a job at EFCC as an expert in fraud examination. I plan to work in the anti-money laundering and counter-financing of terrorist activities dept upon my return. In the long-run, I'd love to have my own forensic accounting firm where I'd be able to render consulting services to both the public and private sector.
Vo: Did you write any exams?
Me: Yes GRE and TOEFL
Vo: What did you score in GRE
Me: 296 (gave her the breakdown but she didnt ask for the report card)
Vo: Who's sponsoring you
Me: My mom
Vo: What does she do?
Me: she's a distributor for.............
Vo: Can I see her BS (she perused it well well)
Vo: Are you sure there's no other reason why you're going to NJ
Me: Not at all aside that MSU offers my preferred program
Vo: She reached for the white paper, ticked AP, said something about checking to see somethings check out and some other things i didn't hear clearly, wrapped my BS & I-20 in my passport and that was it. But the battle wasn't over till Friday when I picked up my passport.
I was on AP for a month, first 2weeks I heard nothing so I sent an inquiry mail but no reply. The 3rd week ended and I had to just call them and I guess that was when my BS were sent for verification. And the following week it got issued. TBH, this AP was torture especially having to wait a month. So many thoughts, High BP but special thanks to Ekebs & sunshine for encouraging me, e no just easy. My special gratitude to Folmus for reviewing my transcript and Winterstorm for the pep-talk before my interview day and to the elders here for your great contributions as my dream is now a reality.
E bami ki hallelujah meta o grin grin grin

Hallelujah! Hallelujah!! Hallelujah!!!
Ogo fun Jesus!

Congratulations.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by ijaola(m): 11:48pm On Aug 19, 2018
Good evening everyone. I have an appointment coming up in Lagos 7:00am. I don't stay in Lagos. Is there an hotel I can stay for the night. Not an expensive hotel o.
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Judgepelumi(m): 12:27am On Aug 20, 2018
ObenJoshua:

Hallelujah! Hallelujah!! Hallelujah!!!
Ogo fun Jesus!

Congratulations.
Thanks boss
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Smartconcept1: 3:30am On Aug 20, 2018
Hello nairalanders, anyone in Mississippi state,pearl/Jackson area or in d area still looking for an acomodation. halla me, we can be roommates and share d bill.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by West07(m): 3:53am On Aug 20, 2018
Shout out to everyone aspiring to be better in life.
I'll make my post short.
Visa interview: 13th June 18, Abj.
Dress code: Short sleeves tucked into trouser.
Visa approved: 13th June 18
status updated: 6th Aug 18
Visa issued: 7th Aug 18

Stayed on AP, with a lot of financial document drama...4 weeks after interview I was asked in an email to resubmit BS, sent it through the portharcourt DHL, two weeks later was asked to summit BS again, meanwhile my passport was returned blank, had to travel to abj and resubmit passport and BS again at the embassy on 30th July, finally status was updated on 6th Aug.

Reason i'm putting this up here is to encourage anyone going through any form of waiting to not be weary, discouraged or depressed. Trust God to perfect things at His time.

Incidentally, i only came on this platform days to my interview. Twale to everyone sending out useful info and guidance. cool cool cool

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 3:59am On Aug 20, 2018
kayvinci:
hello guys

I heard there are certain arrangements whereby one gets to the US first and subsequent pays the school fees and other expenses. Useful info on schools that support this arrangements will be highly appreciated.

You don't pay school fees or register for classes until you're in the US and have done the compulsory orientation for international students organized by the school. I am not aware of any school that allows payment of fees when you're yet to register for classes because your tuition is based on the number of credits you register for. Similarly, for you to register for classes, you must be present at the school.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 4:14am On Aug 20, 2018
Sheq:
Please is it possible to get student loan offers? And woukd the vo at the embassy know about it....and can it be a red flag?

Do you mean student loan from Nigeria or student loan from the US? The VOs are well familiar with student loans from the US. However, as an international student, to obtain a student loan from the US, you have to have a creditworthy cosigner who is a US citizen or permanent resident. Getting a cosigner is quite difficult as people are scared, because if you default on the loan, the burden of the loan will fall on them and affect them adversely. Also, only private loans are available to international students, and as such, the interest rate is usually very high (depending on how creditworthy your cosigner is) and could range from 8% to as high as 15%. In summary, getting a loan as an international student is usually the very last resort.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Kenyag: 5:26am On Aug 20, 2018
Hello Friends,

My brother got a fellowship which is accompained with a fully funded scholarship for a master's programme.

After series of discussions, the VO mentioned that the 1-20 carried personal funds, which he clarifed that the organization would be responsible for paying that to the school and handed the Organization's Statement of account to the VO, who gave him a white paper placing his status on Administrative Processing.

What should he do as school resumes on the 26th? He mentioned that the VO also said school resumed on the 26th hence he will hear from them.

Any advice friends?

femi312:
First you need to decide on the course to study based on your future plans. I don't really know much about the prospect of mathematics but I believe data science is booming right now and the prospect of job seem high. Do your own research and check the bureau of labor statistics website to see things for yourself. Graduating with a first class will really make things a little easy for you if you complement it with a good GRE say >315. Please don't go and apply to one nonsense school with your first class, dream big, aim high and do your part. However spread your risk from high ranked schools to mid ranked. Forget about cheapest schools and concentrate on getting a good GRE score. All things being equal, You shouldn't pay a dime for tuition if you get a good GRE score to complement your GPA. All your energy right now should be on researching for good schools and how to get a good GRE score. The post below will give you an insight on the procedure.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Kenyag: 5:43am On Aug 20, 2018
Hello Friends,

My brother got a fellowship which is accompained with a fully funded scholarship for a master's programme.

After series of discussions, the VO mentioned that the 1-20 carried personal funds, which he clarifed that the organization would be responsible for paying that to the school and handed the Organization's Statement of account to the VO, who gave him a white paper placing his status on Administrative Processing.

What should he do as school resumes on the 26th? He mentioned that the VO also said school resumed on the 26th hence he will hear from them.

Any advice friends?

N/B: He wasn't asked so much.

Why are you going to the U.S., Which univeristy, what would you be studying?, What courses would hou be taking?, who is funding it?, Any supporting document?, school resumes on the 26th you would hear from us within 7 days.

All the questions, he answered.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by GahiaO: 6:14am On Aug 20, 2018
West07:
Shout out to everyone aspiring to be better in life.
I'll make my post short.
Visa interview: 13th June 18, Abj.
Dress code: Short sleeves tucked into trouser.
Visa approved: 13th June 18
status updated: 6th Aug 18
Visa issued: 7th Aug 18

Stayed on AP, with a lot of financial document drama...4 weeks after interview I was asked in an email to resubmit BS, sent it through the portharcourt DHL, two weeks later was asked to summit BS again, meanwhile my passport was returned blank, had to travel to abj and resubmit passport and BS again at the embassy on 30th July, finally status was updated on 6th Aug.

Reason i'm putting this up here is to encourage anyone going through any form of waiting to not be weary, discouraged or depressed. Trust God to perfect things at His time.

Incidentally, i only came on this platform days to my interview. Twale to everyone sending out useful info and guidance. cool cool cool wow!!

That much drama?? I’m happy for you sha. Congrats but why did they keep requesting for new bank statements? Were they not recent enough?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Kenyag: 6:18am On Aug 20, 2018
Hello Friends,

Any advice friends?

Why are you going to the U.S., Which univeristy, what would you be studying?, What courses would hou be taking?, who is funding it?, Any supporting document?, school resumes on the 26th you would hear from us within 7 days.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Sooredaniel(m): 6:27am On Aug 20, 2018
Good day everyone. I had my interview on Friday and was asked to pick my passport in 3 days. My school resumes today (21st) but the class start date on my i20 is 27th. If I'm to travel in between these dates (say 24th) would I need to request an extension to tender at the POE? Also, hope the public hols starting tomorrow (Tuesday) wouldn't affect picking up my passport?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 7:08am On Aug 20, 2018
[many thanks for this information quote author=Timotee post=70435435]

You don't pay school fees or register for classes until you're in the US and have done the compulsory orientation for international students organized by the school. I am not aware of any school that allows payment of fees when you're yet to register for classes because your tuition is based on the number of credits you register for. Similarly, for you to register for classes, you must be present at the school.[/quote]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 7:09am On Aug 20, 2018
Many thanks for this information
Timotee:

You don't pay school fees or register for classes until you're in the US and have done the compulsory orientation for international students organized by the school. I am not aware of any school that allows payment of fees when you're yet to register for classes because your tuition is based on the number of credits you register for. Similarly, for you to register for classes, you must be present at the school.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Jiggsbaby: 8:49am On Aug 20, 2018
sunshineluv5:
Thank you so much @ Daniel,Time2smile, imnaknus,spolights,amasophy,olayinka15 and capitonemax.
Please I sent u a pm please respond it’s urgent
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Sheq: 9:09am On Aug 20, 2018
Timotee:

Do you mean student loan from Nigeria or student loan from the US? The VOs are well familiar with student loans from the US. However, as an international student, to obtain a student loan from the US, you have to have a creditworthy cosigner who is a US citizen or permanent resident. Getting a cosigner is quite difficult as people are scared, because if you default on the loan, the burden of the loan will fall on them and affect them adversely. Also, only private loans are available to international students, and as such, the interest rate is usually very high (depending on how creditworthy your cosigner is) and could range from 8% to as high as 15%. In summary, getting a loan as an international student is usually the very last resort.
from nigeria ...because i dont have a cosigner
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by freshStarz: 9:10am On Aug 20, 2018
How much in naira is Wes?
And are you the one to send ur transcript to Wes or does it have to be official in soft or hard copy?
papilo90:

Animal science.
Undergraduate GPA
3.95/5.0
WES (unofficial) 3.41/4.0
GRE & TOEFL to be taken soon.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Sheq: 9:10am On Aug 20, 2018
Kenyag:
Hello Friends,

Any advice friends?

good day bro...please what school did your brother choose? And how did he get to qualify for full funding fellowship
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by freshStarz: 9:21am On Aug 20, 2018
Are you applying for graduate or undergraduate

MyAmericandream:
Hello all, for does that are familiar with the application form for st cloud State university. Is it mandatory for me to upload my statement of account and that of my sponsor before the submission of the application? I await your swift response to prospective SCSU. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by freshStarz: 9:27am On Aug 20, 2018
Really....
Ajibade105:
I think I mentioned in a part of the thread that I'll be paying an application fee for an applicant. I'll be giving out $25 each to two people on this thread to support their application for Fall2019... I'll let you guys know when am gonna start this...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Sooredaniel(m): 9:32am On Aug 20, 2018
Sooredaniel:
Good day everyone. I had my interview on Friday and was asked to pick my passport in 3 days. My school resumes today (21st) but the class start date on my i20 is 27th. If I'm to travel in between these dates (say 24th) would I need to request an extension to tender at the POE? Also, hope the public hols starting tomorrow (Tuesday) wouldn't affect picking up my passport?
please i need your response to this
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Sooredaniel(m): 9:34am On Aug 20, 2018
freshStarz:
Are you applying for graduate or undergraduate
Yes you'll be asked to upload your sponsors statement of account before your I-20 can be processed. Also request a letter from your sponsor
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Jiggsbaby: 9:53am On Aug 20, 2018
[quote author=Sooredaniel post=70441205][/quote]bro please I sent u a pm please reply it’s urgent

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.