Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (255) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (798448 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Pefuele(m): 9:54pm On Jan 12, 2019
Oeworldbest1:
happy weekend bruv. How are you doing. I asked a very popular VO on quora about that extension letter stuff and she said I should offer the letter "directly and courteously as quickly as possible". What do you think about her statement bro? Thanks
By courteous the VO actually means you should not act in a desperate manner.
Now I must add that as you do it directly and courteously you may ask can I add my extension letter ?If no you keep it .If yes you add it.Honestly,by body language if I don't ask you to do something and and you do it it can mean desperation.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Oeworldbest1: 9:58pm On Jan 12, 2019
Ubah1:

You can do as she said. When asked for your i20, also offer the extension letter along.
Thanks bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Oeworldbest1: 10:00pm On Jan 12, 2019
Pefuele:

By courteous the VO actually means you should not act in a desperate manner.
Now I must add that as you do it directly and courteously you may ask can I add my extension letter ?If no you keep it .If yes you add it.Honestly,by body language if I don't ask you to do something and and you do it it can mean desperation.
this is what she said

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jan 12, 2019
please someone should help me...
does it mean that vo don't approve visa for liberal studies. because I applied for communication but was given liberal studies. I haven't seen anyone with that course here . please help a friend I've been down since my last denial

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by sheke01: 10:09pm On Jan 12, 2019
Ubah1:

I don't quite understand you. Northeastern university is ranked 44th in national universities while university of arkansas is ranked 152nd. He made a better choice by choosing Northeastern university

In my opinion, I think the VO was not interested in which school is ranked higher than the other. The VO might just want to hear a very good and valid reason why he chose the school he wants to go to. It's was up to him to answer convincingly with good points and reasons why he chose the school.

I understand that the quality of schools matter and usually work in applicants favor, but if you can defend your choice of school and how it will improve your career, then you are good to go.

This is my little understanding and contribution on this matter. It's not a professional advice so please take it with a pinch of salt

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ubah1(m): 10:16pm On Jan 12, 2019
okoliifeanyi200:
please someone should help me...
does it mean that vo don't approve visa for liberal studies. because I applied for communication but was given liberal studies. I haven't seen anyone with that course here . please help a friend I've been down since my last denial

They issue visa for every course as far as you overcome the section 214(b) of the nonimmigrant visa. Many have gotten it after many trials, so don't let this weigh you down. Know where you got it wrong, amend your mistakes and refire. If you give up on your dreams, it's your loss.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by lextube: 10:21pm On Jan 12, 2019
Hello house, went for my visa interview on the 7th of January, and I was denied.

My interview was at Abuja, and it was scheduled for 9am. A blonde white lady at window 12 was the person who conducted the interview.

V.O: Please pass me your passport and I-20.
Me: (I corresponded).

V.O: Why are you going to the U.S?
Me: I am going to the U.S to study for a Masters degree at Touro College, New York City.

V.O: Why did you choose this University?
Me: I chose Touro College because the University has a training program offered by the graduate school of technology that is called The System Z training program which focuses at training graduate level student in Cobol programming language, and in IBM z/os mainframe computers. Cobol programming language is actually not taught in about 73% of most American Universities, and having the opportunity of being trained in IBM z/os platform will greatly enhance my chances of securing a job with IBM Nigeria as a System and application programmer.

Another reason why I chose Touro College over other Universities in America is that the MSIN program is designed around a core foundation courses in technology management. This in my own understanding is awesome, because it will expose me into having the skills and knowledge that will help me transition into getting a job in IT leadership and management in Nigeria, considering the fact these job positions are dramatically increasing in my home country Nigeria.
These are the reasons why I chose Touro College.

V.O: Very good. I can see on your profile that you have been denied visa to Canada in 2017, can you explain to me what category of visa you applied for, and why you were denied?
Me: (I didn't include this information in my application, because I felt there was no need to) Yes I was denied visa to Canada, and I applied for a student visa.

V.O: Why were you denied?
Me: I was denied because I misrepresented myself in my application, and this resulted into the Canadian embassy banning me for 5yrs.
How I misrepresented myself was unintentional. In the application form, a question was asked if I have been denied visa to Canada or any other country. I didn't understand that the question was asking about other countries, so I said "NO" instead of "YES" because I was denied an American visa in 2015. It was entirely a mistake, and there was no intention what so ever on my part to tell a lie. When my attention was drawn to it by the Canadian embassy, I wrote a procedural fairness letter, where I stated that it was an error, and that I didn't understand the question properly. However, they still went ahead to ban me.

V.O: Okay so who's your sponsor?
Me: My Uncle.

V.O: What does he do?
Me: He imports electrical and electronic appliances to the country.

V.O: Does he have enough money to pay your fees, because I can see you have no funding.
Me: Yes I believe he does have enough money to take care of my education in the US.

V.O: Do you have any bank statement to proof that?
Me: Yes I do.

V.O: Let me see it.
Me: (Handed it over to her).

V.O: (She flipped through it to see the opening and closing balance, then handed it back to me) I am quite satisfied with your bank statement, but unfortunately I cannot approve your visa at this moment. This letter will explain to you why you were denied. (She gave me a green paper).

I'm not going to lie, I was shocked that I was denied again the second time in a row. Then it occurred to me that it was my denial to Canada that may have disqualified me at that moment for the VO to grant me the visa then.

I want to ask the house (especially the gurus), with this kind of stigma in my visa application history, what can I do to improve my chances if I apply next time again? Thank you very much for your contribution.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Pefuele(m): 10:40pm On Jan 12, 2019
Oeworldbest1:
this is what she said
Now,you are talking.You gotta say something as you offer the VO the docs like I wrote initially.....

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by emandman: 10:42pm On Jan 12, 2019
lextube:
Hello house, went for my visa interview on the 7th of January, and I was denied.

My interview was at Abuja, and it was scheduled for 9am. A blonde white lady at window 12 was the person who conducted the interview.

Me: I am going to the U.S to study for a Masters degree at Touro College, New York City.

Me: I chose Touro College because the University has a training program offered by the graduate school of technology that is called The System Z training program which focuses at training graduate level student in Cobol programming language, and in IBM z/os mainframe computers. Cobol programming language is actually not taught in about 73% of most American Universities, and having the opportunity of being trained in IBM z/os platform will greatly enhance my chances of securing a job with IBM Nigeria as a System and application programmer.

Another reason why I chose Touro College over other Universities in America is that the MSIN program is designed around a core foundation courses in technology management. This in my own understanding is awesome, because it will expose me into having the skills and knowledge that will help me transition into getting a job in IT leadership and management in Nigeria, considering the fact these job positions are dramatically increasing in my home country Nigeria.

V.O: Very good. I can see on your profile that you have been denied visa to Canada in 2017, can you explain to me what category of visa you applied for, and why you were denied?
Me: (I didn't include this information in my application, because I felt there was no need to) Yes I was denied visa to Canada, and I applied for a student visa.

Me: I was denied because I misrepresented myself in my application, and this resulted into the Canadian embassy banning me for 5yrs.
How I misrepresented myself was unintentional. In the application form, a question was asked if I have been denied visa to Canada or any other country. I didn't understand that the question was asking about other countries, so I said "NO" instead of "YES" because I was denied an American visa in 2015. It was entirely a mistake, and there was no intention what so ever on my part to tell a lie. When my attention was drawn to it by the Canadian embassy, I wrote a procedural fairness letter, where I stated that it was an error, and that I didn't understand the question properly. However, they still went ahead to ban me.

V.O: Does he have enough money to pay your fees, because I can see you have no funding.
Me: Yes I believe he does have enough money to take care of my education in the US.

V.O: (She flipped through it to see the opening and closing balance, then handed it back to me) I am quite satisfied with your bank statement, but unfortunately I cannot approve your visa at this moment. This letter will explain to you why you were denied. (She gave me a green paper).

I'm not going to lie, I was shocked that I was denied again the second time in a row. Then it occurred to me that it was my denial to Canada that may have disqualified me at that moment for the VO to grant me the visa then.

I want to ask the house (especially the gurus), with this kind of stigma in my visa application history, what can I do to improve my chances if I apply next time again? Thank you very much for your contribution.
I don't have an answer to your question,I'm only surprised as to why that simple "yes" or "no" could result In 5years ban.that is harsh

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Pefuele(m): 10:51pm On Jan 12, 2019
lextube:

Obviously,the US share information with Canada but I am not sure they will share sensitive information like banning you for five years.However,you could have ride your luck by not mentioning the ban and telling them you were not qualified because you made a mistake during the application and just leave out the banning ..but I guess you want to come across as being completely clean(using America slangs!) and I didn't see any strong home ties in your transcript....

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by yemyem4uall: 10:54pm On Jan 12, 2019
Hello house, I am a new comer here, I understand dat knowledge is power and the most successful man in this world is the man With the best information.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Pefuele(m): 10:57pm On Jan 12, 2019
yemyem4uall:
Hello house, I am a new comer here, I understand dat knowledge is power and the most successful man in this world is the man With the best information.
And married to Nairaland....lol
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by lextube: 11:35pm On Jan 12, 2019
Pefuele:

Obviously,the US share information with Canada but I am not sure they will share sensitive information like banning you for five years.However,you could have ride your luck by not mentioning the ban and telling them you were not qualified because you made a mistake during the application and just leave out the banning ..but I guess you want to come across as being completely clean(using America slangs!) and I didn't see any strong home ties in your transcript....

Well I wasn't asked any question about home ties. I also didn't know the information the v.o had on her screen, that's why I decided to say the truth.

However when I left the embassy, I thought about what you just said now that could it be that the v.o didn't know I was banned? Was that the reason why she initially asked why I was denied? Well the deed has been done.

Please what can I do next? Reapply at once (it will be the 3rd time if I do so), defer my admission to summer/fall, and reapply later, or drop the idea of repplying at all because the vo may have recorded a transcript of the interview she conducted with me thereby any other transcript I give to any subsequent interview that is contrary to what they have may be self implicating. Please house what should I do next? Thank you very much.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by lextube: 11:39pm On Jan 12, 2019
emandman:

I don't have an answer to your question,I'm only surprised as to why that simple "yes" or "no" could result In 5years ban.that is harsh

My brother na so Canada dey do o, den go tag am as misrepresentation.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Pefuele(m): 12:11am On Jan 13, 2019
lextube:

Well I wasn't asked any question about home ties. I also didn't know the information the v.o had on her screen, that's why I decided to say the truth.

However when I left the embassy, I thought about what you just said now that could it be that the v.o didn't know I was banned? Was that the reason why she initially asked why I was denied? Well the deed has been done.

Please what can I do next? Reapply at once (it will be the 3rd time if I do so), defer my admission to summer/fall, and reapply later, or drop the idea of repplying at all because the vo may have recorded a transcript of the interview she conducted with me thereby any other transcript I give to any subsequent interview that is contrary to what they have may be self implicating. Please house what should I do next? Thank you very much.
If you have ample time to book for another interview you can but if not it is better to defer to summer or fall.Next,be ready to give strong reasons to why you were denied?What could have changed in your application?And why should I approve you this time?Ok,like tell me one reason why I should approve you ? Together with other questions you did justice to.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by npmi(f): 1:13am On Jan 13, 2019
yemyem4uall:
Continue speaking grammar
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ajibade105(m): 1:14am On Jan 13, 2019
Did you forge any document(s) during your application for a study permit in Canada? Without the full story, I think no one will be able to advise you accordingly. Don't forget that US and Canada share information.

lextube:

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fatsonm: 1:55am On Jan 13, 2019
I want to know is there any disadvantage in applying to only one school?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 4:04am On Jan 13, 2019
lextube:

Hi,

You have a good transcript. In fact, on a good day, this transcript qualifies for approval. However, I picked one thing that may have spoilt your chances.

1. Applying to US, Canada and US again shows some sort of desperation. And the fact you had no financial aid (aka funding) and was being fully sponsored by "an uncle" might have made you come across as desperate. Also, your school is not very popular. Google shows it as a small private school. I will advise you apply to a public school which can give you financial aid and shows you as a genuine student rather than a desperate immigrant. If you noticed, the VO asked again about your sponsor's financial power because he/she may have not-so-convinced about it.

Forgive my choice of words.

It was okay you didn't lie. Try again with strong financial aid and let's see how it goes. If (God forbids) it doesn't go well, then it may be likely that the Canada stuff has spolit your chances. Then you may want to try other alternatives.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by GoldmanSach: 7:27am On Jan 13, 2019
Good day @Walspring, happy new year sir. Is there no GRE and TOEFL discounts for test takers this year?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by yemyem4uall: 7:44am On Jan 13, 2019
If I claim that I am sponsoring myself with my registered business account and I claim dat I am self employed Oil and gas Marketing and distribution, I am married with 2 Kids, have HND Mineral Resources Engineering and studying Msc Mineral Resources Engineering in USA. Will my application be consider by VO ? Although, I have been denied student visa to USA in 2014 when I was an oil and gas company employee. Please, I need your advise. Please, its urgent
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Barry002: 7:48am On Jan 13, 2019
Good morning all, pls I need schools that don't require GRE/GMAT for MBA
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by lextube: 8:28am On Jan 13, 2019
Ajibade105:
Did you forge any document(s) during your application for a study permit in Canada? Without the full story, I think no one will be able to advise you accordingly. Don't forget that US and Canada share information.

No I DID NOT FORGE ANY DOCUMENT at all. I was banned because a question was asked in the application form if I have ever been denied visa to Canada or any other country, I mistakenly answered "NO" because I thought the question was only referring to Canada. To be honest with you, because of my inexperience while I was applying to Canada then, I totally forgot that I have ever applied for a non-immigrant visa to US.

Other than this, there was no other reason why I was banned. This is the truth.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Flattino(m): 8:53am On Jan 13, 2019
My bad
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 9:08am On Jan 13, 2019
Barry002:
Good morning all, pls I need schools that don't require GRE/GMAT for MBA
Chai! grin at least write it even if you get a low score you will find schools which would take you. Even if I don't support doing MBAs in the US below a particular rank. Especially if you intend to be a global citizen. But to him his own.

Also just imagine you going to the embassy and when asked if you took a standardised test for MBA and you say No.
1. The VO knows that program and standardised test goes together and would be wondering the type of school that doesn't require GRE/GMAT for MBA Eg Visa mill schools. Except Executive MBA or you have worked up to/ more than a particular number of years (10) in a managerial position then it can legitimately be waived for u.
2. Potential profile for one who just want to run when he/she gets into the US.

Just avoid things that will reduce your chances.
My2c.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ishowdels(m): 9:08am On Jan 13, 2019
Can I attend us embassy interview from another country say Dubai?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ubah1(m): 9:15am On Jan 13, 2019
Flattino:

Now you’re contradicting yourself.
You said you thought the question was only referring to Canada .
Then again you said you totally forgot that you have ever applied for a non-immigrant visa to US , meaning if you even understood the question very well in the first place you would have still answered “No” cos as you claimed in that second part that you totally forgot bla bla bla .
Even though idk you , I can conclude now from your own posts that you’re cunning. That’s probably what the VO noticed too .

The truth is that he didn't know that Canada shares information with USA, that's why he made the costly mistake and thought that they won't know about his USA visa denial.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 9:15am On Jan 13, 2019
Flattino:

Now you’re contradicting yourself.
You said you thought the question was only referring to Canada .
Then again you said you totally forgot that you have ever applied for a non-immigrant visa to US , meaning if you even understood the question very well in the first place you would have still answered “No” cos as you claimed in that second part that you totally forgot bla bla bla .
Even though idk you , I can conclude now from your own posts that you’re cunning. That’s probably what the VO noticed too .
cmon, calm down and read his post again. Also, that assumption is reaching! You really can't draw that conclusion from what he posted here.

He said he replied No when asked the question. Now he is explaining the reason he replied no due to the fact that he thought the question was referring to canada only and he also forgot that he even applied to US for visa. These things happen.. Coupled with anxiety and inexperience I guess he stood no chance.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ubah1(m): 9:16am On Jan 13, 2019
Ishowdels:
Can I attend us embassy interview from another country say Dubai?

If you are a legal resident of Dubai, atleast 6months to 1year. You can

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by lextube: 9:16am On Jan 13, 2019
bracelum:

Hi,

You have a good transcript. In fact, on a good day, this transcript qualifies for approval. However, I picked one thing that may have spoilt your chances.

1. Applying to US, Canada and US again shows some sort of desperation. And the fact you had no financial aid (aka funding) and was being fully sponsored by "an uncle" might have made you come across as desperate. Also, your school is not very popular. Google shows it as a small private school. I will advise you apply to a public school which can give you financial aid and shows you as a genuine student rather than a desperate immigrant. If you noticed, the VO asked again about your sponsor's financial power because he/she may have not-so-convinced about it.

Forgive my choice of words.

It was okay you didn't lie. Try again with strong financial aid and let's see how it goes. If (God forbids) it doesn't go well, then it may be likely that the Canada stuff has spolit your chances. Then you may want to try other alternatives.

I understand your point, and I am considering this option as well. However, let me point out to you why I didn't get any scholarship or funding from the school.

The school offers some level of funding to graduate level student only if you have a 3.0 gpa as at when you're admitted which unfortunately I did not have. You can always apply for another round of scholarship the next year so long as your gpa is up to 3.0. However, I can apply for a graduate assistantship program if I resume for classes during the first week of orientation, and have met the admission requirements (that's if I submit some immunization records which is mandatory). The graduate assistantship program is highly competitive, so it's advisable you start early to apply for it.

Also Touro College is a private University no doubt, but it's not a small school, because firstly they have campuses all over the US, and in some countries in Europe, the middle east, and in Asia. It's accredited, and it's been in operation since 1977.

Secondly, their faculty of medicine and accounting is widely recognized and accepted all over America as a good place to study this program because of the researches they have conducted in their department of medicine.

Thirdly, the graduation rate in the school is above 65%, and about 83% of their students get one type of funding or the other. So I have no doubt in my mind that it's a good school even though their classes are very flexible for working class people ( which of course I will not mention this to any v.o).

I think the major reason why I was refused is because of my issue with Canada, and if I wasn't banned in that country, I guess that is where I would have gone to because I love the place and there is an easy path to PR, unlike US and Trump wahala.

Do you think my last transcript will affect my chances of getting a visa, because I intend to include this denial on my visa application.

I just want get a candidate opinion, and want to know if anybody has encountered this kind challenge, or know someone that faced it in the past before I reapply again. Thank you very much.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 9:19am On Jan 13, 2019
Ubah1:

The truth is that he didn't know that Canada shares information with USA, that's why he made the costly mistake and thought that they won't know about his USA visa denial.
well would give him the benefit of the doubt since he never said that he intended to lie in his Canadian interview. He said he forgot, it would be unfair to assume otherwise since we can't prove it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ubah1(m): 9:19am On Jan 13, 2019
CuteRedd:
cmon, calm down and read his post again. Also, that assumption is reaching! You really can't draw that conclusion from what he posted here.

He said he replied No when asked the question. Now he is explaining the reason he replied no due to the fact that he thought the question was referring to canada only and he also forgot that he even applied to US for visa. These things happen.. Coupled with anxiety and inexperience I guess he stood no chance.

He won't like the blame to be put on him. He already made the mistake and we understand that. Saying, he forgot that he even applied to USA is cunning like the other guy said.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.