Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,827 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (258) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (795797 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Olalekank(m): 8:32am On Jan 14, 2019
post=74742622:

Wow!
After 5 years?
CONFIRM story Ify?!
Please confirm.
Thanks.
Oga what are you doing here?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Olalekank(m): 8:33am On Jan 14, 2019
ifyalways:
My boy will be going for interview soon . Any interview heads up for an undergraduate?

Keeping fingers crossed for him.
Finally! Grateful all hurdles have been crossed.

I wish him all the best of luck in the world during the interview.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:33am On Jan 14, 2019
Olalekank:

Oga what are you doing here?
Madam, we came to see if they are giving out free visa here ma!
Just for holidays tho, after the coming election!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Olalekank(m): 8:33am On Jan 14, 2019

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Olalekank(m): 8:35am On Jan 14, 2019
post=74743487:

Madam, we came to see if they are giving out free visa here ma!
Just for holidays tho, after the coming election!
Kindly share the process after you get it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:37am On Jan 14, 2019
Olalekank:

Kindly share the process after you get it
This is our very first post on this almost 2000 pages thread o.
We don't even know how to start the process. 
Just came to read some posts not really serious about it sis. 
All the very best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by dimejalex(m): 8:41am On Jan 14, 2019
Pefuele:

It is a good school and with strong Nigerian community as students.If you check previous transcripts you will confirm this ...
You can read from thread 12 upward...
thanks sir
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Olalekank(m): 8:42am On Jan 14, 2019
post=74743630:

This is our very first post on this almost 2000 pages thread o.
We don't even know how to start the process. 
Just came to read some posts not really serious about it sis. 
All the very best.
Na so, thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by dimejalex(m): 8:46am On Jan 14, 2019
Pefuele:

It is a good school and with strong Nigerian community as students.If you check previous transcripts you will confirm this ...
You can read from thread 12 upward...
sir I only apply to one school ETSU hope it not bad in the Vo side
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Godsmercy11: 9:29am On Jan 14, 2019
i disagree that USA wont approve his visa.... there was a guy here fall 2018 who got his visa even after informing the Vo during his interview why he was ban from Canada. i think the ban was related to bank statement stuff( not too sure)...... he just have to come out clean and give it another try, hopefully he gets a good school with Funding this time around....

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 10:16am On Jan 14, 2019
please gurus in the house..I want to request for economics after I used liberal art for my previous interview. hope it won't affect my next interview... please kindly help me out, does it mean that vo don't approve visa for liberal art
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by chizzypresh(f): 10:26am On Jan 14, 2019
Please what are the requirement for visa application
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Pefuele(m): 10:28am On Jan 14, 2019
BikeMan:
well I don't know her plans sha. If she's planning to get into get employed in one of these tech companies, why go for a 5yrs programme? Abi what do you think CuteRedd

Well it depends on her decision though!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Pefuele(m): 10:30am On Jan 14, 2019
BikeMan:
well I don't know her plans sha. If she's planning to get into get employed in one of these tech companies, why go for a 5yrs programme? Abi what do you think CuteRedd

Well it depends on her decision though!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Pefuele(m): 10:34am On Jan 14, 2019
Beekorly:

I'm a she �
Ok,correction approved....she beerkoly!
Don't go the part of a certain bobrisky ooo

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Oeworldbest1: 10:36am On Jan 14, 2019
Bloody day at the embassy today. No student was approved while I was there. I was on the white lady's queue window 6 but was later moved to the white man in window 7(with fine boi hair) because the lady kept leaving her seat while she interviewed the first family. She kept us standing for almost 15-20 minutes. She hadn't even really started this family's interview when the father(an old man) started having an epileptic attack (ah for US embassy). Naso them carry the man go out, the white woman returned and wondered where the family disappeared to then she said she wasnt ready for interview again so they moved the guy in my front and me to the white man. This man denied a man who was working for shell and had visited the US five times in the past. He said he and his wife were just going for their regular annual vacation, the son was studying in the US or so, he had paid like $13000 or so for medical bills or something in the past or so but the man get strong edo accent sha. I was 1,000,000% sure this man would be approved next thing na baba blue. The shell man open mouth sey why, naso my mind cut that's why when the cgi lady said I should go to his queue I said I want to stay here politely, the cgi lady then said the female vo had told her to move us but I still dey get one kind belief sey when this man see my scholarship him go want give him small sense that my case is unique and I was thinking of running to the toilet but I dey fear to fall in the hands of the black VOs so I stayed put sey make I try white man. The other white man why get Harry Potter hair sef dey fear me, he was nice but na only one old igbo mama he approved, he denied the other old Ibo mama, but I felt the woman may be denied because she couldn't speak a word of English like the other old woman but this particular woman was frail and even the interpreter couldn't communicate well with her. Okay now to the transcript

Vo: next please
Me: Good morning smiling
Vo: (the vo dey vex, no answer, one man in his 50s wey he denied earlier follow am argue he said I'm not obligated to bla bla..so I didn't take it personal) pass your passport and i20
Me: gives him passport and i20, what of ds160
Vo: no
Me:okay
Vo: yes pass your ds160, (he scans it)
Me: I want to request permission to say something important

Note: earlier this man denied was man like that, then immediately the man said sir I have an extension letter. The vo said I'm not denying for that. That's separate from the interview.

Vo: (doing his face somehow), oya talk
Me: I know you can't issue a student visa if the entry date has passed so my school has agreed to let me start not later than Jan 28th and this is the extension letter
Vo: alright okay
Vo: why do you want to do your masters in Chemical engineering and at this university
Me: I have a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering and now I want to do my masters at the university of Toledo and specialize in renewable energy. I want to use this degree to immediately return to Nigeria upon graduation and apply for a lecturing position in my undergraduate university so as to contribute towards renewable energy research and education in Nigeria because presently there aren't many experts in renewable energy in Nigeria. My ultimate career goal is to become a university professor here in Nigeria.

Note: while I was talking he was just making some funny facial expressions, he was trying to disorient me, but I was prepared for this so I didn't let it bother. He hardly looked at my face

Vo: so why this university
Me: I want to attend this university because there is an ongoing research in renewable energy which is area of interest. The research is led by Professor Conster Shan whom I have been communicating with and she has accepted me to join her research team. Specifically I will be working on the production of biofuel from renewable biological sources like algae and lignocellulosic biomass. I'm highly motivated by the goal of this research. The overall goal of this research is to greatly improve the production processes of biofuel in order to reduce the use of fossil fuel and the resulting carbon emissions which will help us mitigate against global warming and climate change

Vo: (as I was rounding up he cut in, he had started looking at me more like it be like sey you sabi abi, okay, this denial go hard forme to achieve small) okay so what other reasons why you want to go to this university asides the research

Me: (in my mind I was surprised, after all this my explanation, you still want more, I thought quickly I have said all the theoretical things naw, let me say something real now) my department has also offered me a full tuition scholarship

(after I got out I was feeling I could also have said the university was recommended by my undergraduate research supervisor but what I said carries more weight than this and I wasn't expecting that to be my last statement there)

Vo: passes blue paper
Me: (you know the drill, don't argue, I felt like asking him why but then I remembered the shell man too asked and he just said I am obligated to....in mind is this how this interview has ended, really weird but I didn't feel bad at all this time around cos I witnessed a lot of drama there today. VO work sef no easy, lol)

God knows best, everything happens for a reason, America is a great place but everything happens for a reason. I have learnt that a painful disappointment can be a big blessing in disguise

One other married man in his mid 30s was arguing with the white male in window, the guy was stubborn and would most probably be punished, he told the vo something then the vo replied that he had asked him like 6 questions already that a visa is a privilege and not a right. The guy said I know it's not a right, vo said but you're acting like it's a right.

My denial history:
Canadian student visa (msc chemical engineering university of western Ontario no funding December 2017)
Us f1 visa (Tennessee tech university chemical engineering no funding before arrival July 2018)

I won't give up but I won't beat myself up over anything

8 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Pefuele(m): 10:39am On Jan 14, 2019
dimejalex:
sir I only apply to one school ETSU hope it not bad in the Vo side
Not bad as long as you can defend the reason why you applied to one school....
But why don't you apply to two or three schools?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by LagosismyHome(f): 11:02am On Jan 14, 2019
Godsmercy11:
i disagree that USA wont approved his visa.... there was a guy here fall 2018 who got his visa even after informing the Vo during his interview why he was ban from Canada . i think the ban was related to bank statements stuffs( not too sure)...... he just have to come out clean and give it another try, hopefully he gets a good school with Funding this time around....

True ............yes i saw that transcript as well .
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by BikeMan: 11:07am On Jan 14, 2019
CuteRedd:
you are right it depends on her future goals tho...! She may also want to work in the Research and Innovation department in these tech companies like Google, apple and the likes... In which the Phd would be a plus and an edge. However, you can also get into that even with a masters. It depends on the prior projects she has worked on, cuz the market is literally created for tech skilled persons right now. (I checked 2018 data for jobs companies filed h1b/greencard visas for and close to 95% if not more are for tech related jobs)

Also it depends on her interest she may want to do academic research hence PhD. Well, whatever path she chooses, would advice she does her due diligence by researching people who have taken the same path to achieve her dreams.
that's exactly what i'm saying, if her plan is to get into a tech company and not academia, i don't really see why a PhD is needed for now. MSc is just enough, 5yrs investment is no joke grin

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Oeworldbest1: 11:19am On Jan 14, 2019
BikeMan:
that's exactly what i'm saying, if her plan is to get into a tech company and not academia, i don't really see why a PhD is needed for now. MSc is just enough, 5yrs investment is no joke grin
Why? with a good PhD you can start a higher level and get into bigger companies and as a PhD you can file for green card yourself as a highly skilled person. PhD is also very good but is long and requires patience and you can drop out of a PhD program with a masters degree. Both aren't bad.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by BikeMan: 11:46am On Jan 14, 2019
Oeworldbest1:

Why? with a good PhD you can start a higher level and get into bigger companies and as a PhD you can file for green card yourself as a highly skilled person. PhD is also very good but is long and requires patience and you can drop out of a PhD program with a masters degree. Both aren't bad.
OK! Now you're misunderstanding me. Here's my thought, imagine you want to get a data scientist post at Slack, an MSc degree is just enough man. Except you want to go into academia/research immediately, I honestly think a 5yr investment is not necessary man. I've read of an experience I think on the GRE thread where someone was regretting his PhD decision stating that his mates even dropped out. Except you're really patient and eyeing academia/research as a CS folk PhD isn't necessary.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by BikeMan: 11:48am On Jan 14, 2019
Beekorly:

Cos of funding...
But I'd appreciate if you could suggest schools where I can still apply for Msc...and of course that'd give funding
ma'am, MScs are well funded too. I would be back about suggestions. You really have a nice profile, kudos!

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Godsmercy11: 11:55am On Jan 14, 2019
Na wa oo what do this people even want? i think thats the same guy who interviewed me....

Oeworldbest1:
Bloody day at the embassy today. No student was approved while I was there. I was on the white lady's queue window 6 but was later moved to the white man in window 7(with fine boi hair) because the lady kept leaving her seat while she interviewed the first family. She kept us standing for almost 15-20 minutes. She hadn't even really started this family's interview when the father(an old man) started having an epileptic attack (ah for US embassy). Naso them carry the man go out, the white woman returned and wondered where the family disappeared to then she said she wasnt ready for interview again so they moved the guy in my front and me to the white man. This man denied a man who was working for shell and had visited the US five times in the past. He said he and his wife were just going for their regular annual vacation, the son was studying in the US or so, he had paid like $13000 or so for medical bills or something in the past or so but the man get strong edo accent sha. I was 1,000,000% sure this man would be approved next thing na baba blue. The shell man open mouth sey why, naso my mind cut that's why when the cgi lady said I should go to his queue I said I want to stay here politely, the cgi lady then said the female vo had told her to move us but I still dey get one kind belief sey when this man see my scholarship him go want give him small sense that my case is unique and I was thinking of running to the toilet but I dey fear to fall in the hands of the black VOs so I stayed put sey make I try white man. The other white man why get Harry Potter hair sef dey fear me, he was nice but na only one old igbo mama he approved, he denied the other old Ibo mama, but I felt the woman may be denied because she couldn't speak a word of English like the other old woman but this particular woman was frail and even the interpreter couldn't communicate well with her. Okay now to the transcript

Vo: (the vo dey vex, no answer, one man in his 50s wey he denied earlier follow am argue he said I'm not obligated to bla bla..so I didn't take it personal) pass your passport and i20

Note: earlier this man denied was man like that, then immediately the man said sir I have an extension letter. The vo said I'm not denying for that. That's separate from the interview.

Me: I know you can't issue a student visa if the entry date has passed so my school has agreed to let me start not later than Jan 28th and this is the extension letter
Vo: why do you want to do your masters in Chemical engineering and at this university
Me: I have a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering and now I want to do my masters at the university of Toledo and specialize in renewable energy. I want to use this degree to immediately return to Nigeria upon graduation and apply for a lecturing position in my undergraduate university so as to contribute towards renewable energy research and education in Nigeria because presently there aren't many experts in renewable energy in Nigeria. My ultimate career goal is to become a university professor here in Nigeria.

Note: while I was talking he was just making some funny facial expressions, he was trying to disorient me, but I was prepared for this so I didn't let it bother. He hardly looked at my face

Me: I want to attend this university because there is an ongoing research in renewable energy which is area of interest. The research is led by Professor Conster Shan whom I have been communicating with and she has accepted me to join her research team. Specifically I will be working on the production of biofuel from renewable biological sources like algae and lignocellulosic biomass. I'm highly motivated by the goal of this research. The overall goal of this research is to greatly improve the production processes of biofuel in order to reduce the use of fossil fuel and the resulting carbon emissions which will help us mitigate against global warming and climate change

Vo: (as I was rounding up he cut in, he had started looking at me more like it be like sey you sabi abi, okay, this denial go hard forme to achieve small) okay so what other reasons why you want to go to this university asides the research

Me: (in my mind I was surprised, after all this my explanation, you still want more, I thought quickly I have said all the theoretical things naw, let me say something real now) my department has also offered me a full tuition scholarship

(after I got out I was feeling I could also have said the university was recommended by my undergraduate research supervisor but what I said carries more weight than this and I wasn't expecting that to be my last statement there)

Me: (you know the drill, don't argue, I felt like asking him why but then I remembered the shell man too asked and he just said I am obligated to....in mind is this how this interview has ended, really weird but I didn't feel bad at all this time around cos I witnessed a lot of drama there today. VO work sef no easy, lol)

God knows best, everything happens for a reason, America is a great place but everything happens for a reason. I have learnt that a painful disappointment can be a big blessing in disguise

One other married man in his mid 30s was arguing with the white male in window, the guy was stubborn and would most probably be punished, he told the vo something then the vo replied that he had asked him like 6 questions already that a visa is a privilege and not a right. The guy said I know it's not a right, vo said but you're acting like it's a right.

My denial history:
Canadian student visa (msc chemical engineering university of western Ontario no funding December 2017)
Us f1 visa (Tennessee tech university chemical engineering no funding before arrival July 2018)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Pefuele(m): 12:59pm On Jan 14, 2019
Oeworldbest1:

My denial history:

You story is similar to that guy that applied to a Uni in the US ,then to Canada and to US before he got approved.His first attempt was 2013 and he got approved few weeks ago....You can go few threads back to get the transcripts for encouragement...
That's what you need at this moment.Positive vibes only...BAD ENERGY STAY FAR AWAY!
I hope to see your success transcript to spur me on...

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Oeworldbest1: 2:00pm On Jan 14, 2019
Godsmercy11:
Na wa oo what do this people even want? i think thats the same guy who interviewed me....

Were you there today too

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by groovychik(f): 2:32pm On Jan 14, 2019
Thank you so much. Visa was approved today in Abuja but I wasn't there for Student's visa. Will share the transcript in the other US Visa thread in a day or two

bracelum:

No worries, I totally understand. Just go there and do your best.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Beekorly(f): 3:22pm On Jan 14, 2019
Thanks sire cheesy

BikeMan:
ma'am, MScs are well funded too. I would be back about suggestions. You really have a nice profile, kudos!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jan 14, 2019
groovychik:
Thank you so much. Visa was approved today in Abuja but I wasn't there for Student's visa. Will share the transcript in the other US Visa thread in a day or two

Perfect!
Did you tell the VO upfront about your stuttering? or did you use plan B?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by enility(m): 3:58pm On Jan 14, 2019
Gurus in the house happy new year, everyone that has applied for a student visa can be called a guru because he/she is exposed.
I have a request to make here. I am in my finals studying at the Lagos State university and I want to leave this country called Nigeria. If ASUU calls off strike I know my school won't take time before we write our final exams. By the grace of God I don't have issues with result.
Lemme not digress, the request I want to make is this, can someone here mentor me on steps of writing required exams for MSc in any foreign country where I can have access to scholarships? I have read a lot of threads, please I need a mentor who can provide me with his/her number. Then I can be tutored. I want to leave this country before 2020 January. Thanks in anticipation
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Sheq: 4:06pm On Jan 14, 2019
enility:
Gurus in the house happy new year, everyone that has applied for a student visa can be called a guru because he/she is exposed.
I have a request to make here. I am in my finals studying at the Lagos State university and I want to leave this country called Nigeria. If ASUU calls off strike I know my school won't take time before we write our final exams. By the grace of God I don't have issues with result.
Lemme not digress, the request I want to make is this, can someone here mentor me on steps of writing required exams for MSc in any foreign country where I can have access to scholarships? I have read a lot of threads, please I need a mentor who can provide me with his/her number. Then I can be tutored. I want to leave this country before 2020 January. Thanks in anticipation
you havent read the infotmations on threads..you only opened them.

Start reading from page from of this thread...and read chapter 13 and then 12.

By the time you finish up, everyone would think you have gone for your own visa interview.

There is strike so you have the time to read...no one can give you all the information in even a whole thread.

All the best

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by BikeMan: 4:16pm On Jan 14, 2019
Beekorly:
Thanks sire cheesy

Check out PennState and U of Virginia, University of Alabama, University of Connecticut, Louisiana state university, University of Tennessee first. I would really advise you get in touch with CuteRedd and Olalekank though, they are both going for MSc CS so they would know better than I do. But then you need to be wary of the quality of schools, so just take time out to list top ranked schools, then check their graduate websites one by one for any kind of assistantship/funding.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Olalekank(m): 4:32pm On Jan 14, 2019
BikeMan:
Check out PennState and U of Virginia, University of Alabama, University of Connecticut, Louisiana state university, University of Tennessee first. I would really advise you get in touch with CuteRedd and Olalekank though, they are both going for MSc CS so they would know better than I do. But then you need to be wary of the quality of schools, so just take time out to list top ranked schools, then check their graduate websites one by one for any kind of assistantship/funding.
Chief

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.