Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,304 members, 7,811,898 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:41 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (280) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (793708 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Best201195(m): 11:09pm On Jan 29, 2019
Boss2411:

I finished school last year
I got 1462 in sat and 99 in TOEFL still no tuition waiver
I am 17 years old boy and very brilliant

Are you really sure about this '1462' score?
1462 sounds too low to get an international student into Harvard without taking the SAT subject tests and having some badass extracurriculars.

Again, SAT scores only come in multiples of 10.... Every SAT score must end with '0'

I'm confused.

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by chukamorah(m): 11:11pm On Jan 29, 2019
CuteRedd:
what have you been showing her all these while?

I get bank statements from my aunt.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Alphaman007: 11:18pm On Jan 29, 2019
Hello house, I just finished my bsc in psychology and I'm planning to go for MSc in either occupational therapy, physician assistant or maybe nursing but based on what I've read i either have to do a bsc or go for accelerated degree.. Pls which of these courses would give me a higher chance of being issued visa? Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Vickglam: 11:34pm On Jan 29, 2019
Humble11:

Sorry for USA schools, you don't have to attend the school for a term before switching to another school. You can transfer to another school immediately you arrive USA and use that money for your intended program.

Are you serious,���
Thanks for that information, let me swing into applying for MSC COMPUTER SCIENCE
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by BikeMan: 11:46pm On Jan 29, 2019
Best201195:

1462 sounds too low to get an international student into Harvard without taking the SAT subject tests and having some badass extracurriculars.

Again, SAT scores only come in multiples of 10.... Every SAT score must end with '0'

I'm confused.
I've watched admission reactions of Asians not getting accepted with SATscores of 1570+ and 3 subject tests some with even perfect scores. These guys don't even apply with their national exams. They take APs and ace them. I hope this boy knows what he saying sha because I'm surprised he got into Harvard without spanking 1500+ and subject tests.That score isn't even in the mid 50% for ivy leagues

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by chukamorah(m): 1:21am On Jan 30, 2019
Hey! Guys, I need help from anyone who has been an undergraduate in the USA. I'm an undergraduate student in the US. My DSO keeps asking me for bank statement or proof of ability to pay in order to update my SEVIS record every semester. I don't owe any money so far. But is this request right? I'm the only international student in my school, it's a small school. I'm enrolled full-time. I pay my tuition as cash comes but no large sum of money kept anywhere to show. My aunt helped me with the previous bank statements. What if I don't show her this semester, she will refuse to update my SEVIS record and I will become illegal. Is this the same requirement in other schools before your SEVIS is updated?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Enasdan(m): 2:14am On Jan 30, 2019
please who know much of Albany State University, Albany, Georgia? or have heard, applied or had someone who had? thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by LagosismyHome(f): 7:43am On Jan 30, 2019
Boss2411:

please ma, can u help me to get any financial aid

You must be destined for greatness so congrats on your admission.

To be honest 1462 and 99 in TOEFL is not a great score to have entered Harvard so well done to you. There must have been something else in your application that stood out. The only way is to reach out to their international office and see how this can be rectified.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by dllenzee(m): 8:34am On Jan 30, 2019
Please guys... Is there anyone that applied to the embassy through KAPLAN... I don't seem to see any previous transcript. Please I need help as my interview is close. Thank u
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by charliejose: 9:27am On Jan 30, 2019
Boss2411:
sorry I meant 1462
Why do I have this feeling this boy is not real? I may be wrong though.

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by yemyem4uall: 10:24am On Jan 30, 2019
Hello gurus, please i need ur advise concerning WES. He requested that i should send my NECO and Cratch Card through the examination body. If d exam was conducted in Ondo State, can Neco Head office in Akure do the verification or i wil need to go to their Head office in Kaduna.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nad95: 11:08am On Jan 30, 2019
Hi, family. Is there anyone here who can help me with comprehensive SAT and TOEFL prep materials? Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by JohnnyAmhan: 11:50am On Jan 30, 2019
charliejose:
Why do I have this feeling this boy is not real? I may be wrong though.

SAT scores come in multiples of 10 only so all scores end with a "0" attached.
So can he explain how he got 1462 because it's starting to sound mendacious.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by BikeMan: 12:00pm On Jan 30, 2019
JohnnyAmhan:

SAT scores come in multiples of 10 only so all scores end with a "0" attached.
So can he explain how he got 1462 because it's starting to sound mendacious.
meaning even the first score he mentioned isn't obtainable on the SAT, hmm!

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by JohnnyAmhan: 12:05pm On Jan 30, 2019
BikeMan:
meaning even the first score he mentioned isn't obtainable on the SAT, hmm!

It is what it seems.
I was wondering why nobody paid attention to the score self.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by BikeMan: 12:13pm On Jan 30, 2019
JohnnyAmhan:

It is what it seems.
I was wondering why nobody paid attention to the score self.
Most folks here are for PG but what I'm specifically worried about is how he got in without subject tests. I don't think anybody can get into any Ivy league without subject tests. Even dem Pomona, Amherst require subject tests . 1462 isn't even a competitive score for Harvard. They reject people with 1500+. But then,you can't always judge a book by its cover,I hope he would rectify that score again, looks like he made a mistake

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by LagosismyHome(f): 12:21pm On Jan 30, 2019
BikeMan:
Most folks here are for PG but what I'm specifically worried about is how he got in without subject tests. I don't think anybody can get into any Ivy league without subject tests. Even dem Pomona, Amherst require subject tests . 1462 isn't even a competitive score for Harvard. They reject people with 1500+. But then,you can't always judge a book by its cover,I hope he would rectify that score again, looks like he made a mistake

yes no subject test ...... almost impossible ... However Sometimes some people are lucky and just get it with a good stroke of luck .. It doesnt happen often but it does , like Miracle or Magic grin

My own is , which secondary school in Nigeria now gives their student their bank account to use for admission purposes ……… Also a school like Harvard will need a parent or official Guardian bank account for a Minor ………. Remember this is a minor application . To accept bank account from a school then a very strong letter from the school who have stated in clear terms I will sponsor this minor /student for the 4 years before an i20 will be released . Again how many secondary schools will agree to do this . Maybe if your father is the owner of the school

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Daringtohope(f): 2:25pm On Jan 30, 2019
Hello everyone. I had my F-2 interview at Lagos Consulate on the 28th of January with my child and below is the transcript of what transpired.
VO: Pass your passport. I obliged.
VO: Which school is your husband studying.
Me: The University of “the state” in “city”.
VO: What is his program?
Me: PhD program
VO: When did he leave?
Me: He left on date, month, 2017.
VO: When did you get married?
Me: Mentioned date, month, 2014.
VO: How many children you do have?
Me: We have only one child and he is here with me.
VO: When will he finish his program.?
Me: I quickly used my hand to count and replied 2021/2022 because I know his PhD will take 4 to 5 years.
VO: How many years will you spend in the United States?
Me: I will like to be with my husband because it has been difficult since he left, my……
She cut me off, said sorry you are not qualified at this time and gave me rejection paper.
Note that the VO didn’t request for my I-20 and didn’t look at it. She didn’t ask for any other document. In fact, she wasn’t looking at me throughout the interview but was just typing. I would have liked to ask her why she denied me but it only came to my mind after I left.
Please help me scrutinize the transcript and suggest what I can do better. The denial has really been difficult for me to take. I do plan to reapply immediately and any suggestion will be useful. Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Kaylhey20: 3:06pm On Jan 30, 2019
Best201195:

I'm confused.

That's true SAT scores come in multiples of 10....

Also he should have done enough research before applying. There is a portion on their admission's website where you can register your email to receive admission and financial aid tips. I also started application for Harvard but stopped when I got to know that they require two SAT subject tests especially for INT. students who didn't take AP courses.

Yes, it is true that Harvard offers full ride scholarships(need-based) to students from an annual family income below $65,000 . But you have to show this need in your application, but he used his school's account which will prolly have more than this amount.

The mistake he made is that he should have done enough research before applying, if he did this he would know of filling the CSS Profile ( which is kinda similar to FAFSA, but open to international applicants).

Also for Harvard to send you the I-20 without financial aid , they feel you can pay their fees. Most top schools like this would say you can't be granted financial aid once you've accepted the admission ... Anyways you could mail their office of financial aid , they could look into your application..

I also made similar mistakes the first time I applied to USA universities..

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by mrprolifik: 3:13pm On Jan 30, 2019
Macaulay10:
Fall 2019 proper.
I firmly believe, that any man finest hour, the greatest fulfillment that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause, and lies exhausted on the field of battle, victorious.

So so inspired mehn, been following this thread since 2016(Undergraduate Days). Brothers and sisters believe me this time next year, if at all we are not already in USA, we will be getting ready for our flight.
InshaAllah

Are u a SPARTAN?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by domex007: 3:32pm On Jan 30, 2019
Daringtohope:
Hello everyone. I had my F-2 interview at Lagos Consulate on the 28th of January with my child and below is the transcript of what transpired.
VO: Pass your passport. I obliged.
VO: Which school is your husband studying.
Me: The University of “the state” in “city”.
VO: What is his program?
Me: PhD program
VO: When did he leave?
Me: He left on date, month, 2017.
VO: When did you get married?
Me: Mentioned date, month, 2014.
VO: How many children you do have?
Me: We have only one child and he is here with me.
VO: When will he finish his program.?
Me: I quickly used my hand to count and replied 2021/2022 because I know his PhD will take 4 to 5 years.

VO: How many years will you spend in the United States?
Me: I will like to be with my husband because it has been difficult since he left, my……[/b]

[b]I am sorry for the delay.
you gave the wrong answer here. F2 is a non immigrant visa but your answer sounded like you want to use your husband's F1 status to migrate to the US.[b] You could have just said i will spend 3months even if you plan to migrate

And Generally i believe its easier to get b1/b2 visa than to get the F2 visa. GOODLUCK

My two cents though[/b]

She cut me off, said sorry you are not qualified at this time and gave me rejection paper.
Note that the VO didn’t request for my I-20 and didn’t look at it. She didn’t ask for any other document. In fact, she wasn’t looking at me throughout the interview but was just typing. I would have liked to ask her why she denied me but it only came to my mind after I left.
Please help me scrutinize the transcript and suggest what I can do better. The denial has really been difficult for me to take. I do plan to reapply immediately and any suggestion will be useful. Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by domex007: 3:38pm On Jan 30, 2019
chukamorah:
Hey! Guys, I need help from anyone who has been an undergraduate in the USA. I'm a continued undergraduate student in the US. My DSO keeps asking me for bank statement or proof of ability to pay in order to update my SEVIS record every semester. I don't owe any money so far. But is this request right? I'm the only international student in my school, it's a small school. I'm enrolled full-time. I pay my tuition as cash comes but no large sum of money kept anywhere to show. What if I don't show her this semester, she will refuse to update my SEVIS record and I will become illegal. Is this the same requirement in other schools before your SEVIS is updated.

well, most schools request for bank statements every semester, some request yearly while some request when you want to transfer or take sick leave. You can just get a relative from Nigeria to send you one and you will be fine. GOODLUCK

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jan 30, 2019
Philadelphia:

Before I saw this, I was already typing that it's Babcock University you attended.
I believe your story.
Don't ask me how or why grin

grin grin cheesy grin grin grin chai...i laready know grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Riqysuave: 4:11pm On Jan 30, 2019
Good day house, I have a Master's degree in physical Chemistry, I wish to apply for another Master's degree in Chemical Engineering in the US. I have been reading on this forum that a Bsc to Bsc or an Msc to Msc doesn't always fly with the VOs. Should I apply for a PhD instead ? In which case my undergraduate GPA isnt so good (2.5/ 5.0).but my Msc GPA is 3.98/5.0 and i intend to write GRE and TOEFL. Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Aluko1987(m): 4:26pm On Jan 30, 2019
Good day to all... Pls I wrote GRE last 2wks and I got 269. So painful though. V133, Q136
My cgpa 3.7.
So, pls which schools can accept such score with funding? USA precisely.. I want to study Educational Administration.
Pls I need response ASAP.... Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:50pm On Jan 30, 2019
Aluko1987:
Good day to all... Pls I wrote GRE last 2wks and I got 269. So painful though. V133, Q136
My cgpa 3.7.
So, pls which schools can accept such score with funding? USA precisely.. I want to study Educational Administration.
Pls I need response ASAP.... Thanks

I saw this comment recently, based on this been the min score
Olalekank:

Minimum is 130 in each section meaning the total score was like 3/20 + 3/20 in each section. (Max 10/40 due to the adaptive testing.

Then 269 is a very low score and funding is competitive. If you need funding then you need a better score
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 6:10pm On Jan 30, 2019
chukamorah:

I get bank statements from my aunt.
so what has changed now?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 6:17pm On Jan 30, 2019
BikeMan:
I've watched admission reactions of Asians not getting accepted with SATscores of 1570+ and 3 subject tests some with even perfect scores. These guys don't even apply with their national exams. They take APs and ace them. I hope this boy knows what he saying sha because I'm surprised he got into Harvard without spanking 1500+ and subject tests.That score isn't even in the mid 50% for ivy leagues
diversity could come to play sincerely. Most Africans (not diaspora) don't apply to Harvard for UG
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by BikeMan: 6:32pm On Jan 30, 2019
CuteRedd:
diversity could come to play sincerely. Most Africans (not diaspora) don't apply to Harvard for UG
Who told you so? Nigerians apply to Ivy leagues well. Harvard won't admit you without subject tests. Yes,diversity play a role,but not after your score is competitive for Harvard. Somebody got into Caltech and MIT in 2007 here on Nairaland. Guess what his SAT score was? 2370/2400. Somebody up there mentioned that he was also applying to Harvard until he saw that subject tests are REQUIRED. You need atleast two to get to Harvard. They don't care if you come from the jungle.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 6:42pm On Jan 30, 2019
BikeMan:
Who told you so? Nigerians apply to Ivy leagues well. Harvard won't admit you without subject tests. Yes,diversity play a role,but not after your score is competitive for Harvard. Somebody got into Caltech and MIT in 2007 here on Nairaland. Guess what his SAT score was? 2370/2400. Somebody up there mentioned that he was also applying to Harvard until he saw that subject tests are REQUIRED. You need atleast two to get to Harvard. They don't care if you come from the jungle.
lol noted.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by BikeMan: 6:58pm On Jan 30, 2019
CuteRedd:
lol noted.
How's work and prep at that end?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 7:10pm On Jan 30, 2019
BikeMan:
How's work and prep at that end?
going on well Q is getting strong and RC is getting stronger too smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.