Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,887 members, 7,817,613 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:31 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (334) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (796191 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by IjebuWarrior: 10:14pm On Mar 12, 2019
ManOfPeace2000:

thank you sir.
the reason why I want to reapply ASAP is to know what's next. I've registered for jamb because I don't want to put my eggs in one basket. all I need now is education . thanks for your suggestions

Again, I don't think it's advisable for you to rush back as they're pretty aware you've got no objective reason for that as schools don't start their new session till August/September. The Consular might be wondering why the rush. If it's closer to resumption, then, that's reasonable enough.

You have to be very tactical in you approach. Let common-sense not, emotions lead you!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 10:19pm On Mar 12, 2019
CuteRedd:
so if a school is more expensive than the other I shouldn’t choose the more expensive but better ranked school? Don’t see how that should be a factor at all. Also coupled with the fact that his financial ability wasn’t asked. What I can point out is she obviously has a different position on the ranking of both schools.

Maybe Arkansas is ranked better in Journalism than Northeastern because I wonder why she was shaking her head.

Just because a school is better ranked with huge tuition fee, then you choose it over another good school with low tuition fees? Doesn't make sense. Don't you think the V.O might be thinking he wants to go and meet his friends over there probably stay with him if he can't afford to pay the fees later. Just take a look at Northeastern university tuition fees and the cost of living in boston, you Will shake your heard. University of arkansas should have been a good choice, cost of living in arkansas is lower too.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by IjebuWarrior: 10:23pm On Mar 12, 2019
ManOfPeace2000:

thank you sir.
what if I apply like on may. hope there won't be any problem

May seems more reasonable.

Again, you don't wanna give them any stupid reason to deny you. For the most part, you can return immediately if the resumption date is very close by and they'll understand the need for your swift return.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 10:27pm On Mar 12, 2019
ManOfPeace2000:

thank you so much.
I've done all you just said. even the website gave me so many unique reason.
I don't know about superstar professor. as for the coursework aligning to my career goal,the answer is yes. I guess I couldn't Express my self because the vo was too fast and she's not smiling at all . though I've gotten so many experience because what was my first interview.i haven't been to any other one since I was born

I understand the situation. First interviews are always very difficult. Expertise on interviews comes mostly with experience.

You don't have to tick all the boxes in the questions I raised. Also, look out for more unique insights you could add. Having THREE UNIQUE reasons is always best.

When asked, you may respond like this "I chose Northeastern University for three reasons. First, Bleep and explain. Second, Bleep and explain. Third, Bleep and explain. In summary, I chose Northeastern University because [insert first reason], [insert second reason] and [insert third reason]". Make sure you do hand gestures while interviewing. You can make gestures with your fingers while listing the reasons - I found it to be most effective.

Make sure you prepare well before appearing for the interview. Do at least 5 full preps with your friends (the higher the better).

When you do this, you will appear very smart infront of the VO and I don't think you will be denied.

Once again, you did well in your first outing. Just make sure you do far better this time around.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by godG: 10:54pm On Mar 12, 2019
Chemical2:

godG, greetings! You attend UW Madison right?

Greetings, my oga. Yessir.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 11:02pm On Mar 12, 2019
ManOfPeace2000:

thank you so much.may God continue to bless you and your family.
I made hand gestures. but I was lost in the process.
I really appreciate your response

Keep practicing and you'll be fine.
I wish you the very best.
Northeastern is a very good school
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by xcaper(m): 11:04pm On Mar 12, 2019
What is the implication of applying to only one school for graduate studies and also going ahead to apply for visa . I noticed most people apply to about three schools. Does it mean if you apply to just one school you won't be able to secure visa?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 11:08pm On Mar 12, 2019
Time2win:

Just because a school is better ranked with huge tuition fee, then you choose it over another good school with low tuition fees? Doesn't make sense. Don't you think the V.O might be thinking he wants to go and meet his friends over there probably stay with him if he can't afford to pay the fees later. Just take a look at Northeastern university tuition fees and the cost of living in boston, you Will shake your heard. University of arkansas should have been a good choice, cost of living in arkansas is lower too.

So, based on your explanation, if I choose Harvard University over the University of Florida, it is an unwise decision. Right?

Considering that Harvard is damn expensive but ranked higher, and the University of Florida is a good and cheaper school.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by calculator123(m): 11:25pm On Mar 12, 2019
bracelum:

So, based on your explanation, if I choose Harvard University over the University of Florida, it is an unwise decision. Right?

Considering that Harvard is damn expensive but ranked higher, and the University of Florida is a good and cheaper school.
Havard would fund you thus reducing financial burden
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 11:48pm On Mar 12, 2019
calculator123:

Havard would fund you thus reducing financial burden

Sorry, I didn't ask you the question. So, I will appreciate that you ignore it and allow the person I asked to respond.
And for your information, Harvard does not fund all their students.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 11:59pm On Mar 12, 2019
Time2win:

doesnt make sense for you maybe. There are various reasons why one chooses a school regardless of how expensive it is pls!.... Him wanting to go to NEU because of his friend is another thing entirely. As I mentioned earlier nothing from his transcript shows that he can’t afford the fees. He wasn’t even asked that at all.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 12:08am On Mar 13, 2019
bracelum:

exactly my thought!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Jackossky(m): 1:02am On Mar 13, 2019
victree007:

If you're in Lagos I can give you the contact of the person that I went through in Ikoyi Office. You can go see him there and work things out

That would be awesome. Currently in Lagos and how do I contact you?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Marjoribanks: 1:46am On Mar 13, 2019
Please can this cousin of mine get a full finding at bachelor's level in Computer science/Mathematics/Physics.

SAT 1170
TOEFL 96

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by godG: 2:39am On Mar 13, 2019
Marjoribanks:
Please can this cousin of mine get a full finding at bachelor's level in Computer science/Mathematics/Physics.

SAT 1170
TOEFL 96

Dear Marjoribanks, based on this, your cousin seems quite brilliant. What else did s/he do in school? It's important to know this because s/he will be competing against other brilliant (probably more brilliant) candidates from all over the world. So, having a CV loaded with lots of non-academic activities could help. Consider asking your cousin if s/he took part in extracurricular activities in high school.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by godG: 2:41am On Mar 13, 2019
xcaper:
What is the implication of applying to only one school for graduate studies and also going ahead to apply for visa . I noticed most people apply to about three schools. Does it mean if you apply to just one school you won't be able to secure visa?

Based on my experience, there's nothing implicating about it. Just make sure you are going to be funded. Good luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Marjoribanks: 7:59am On Mar 13, 2019
godG:

Dear Marjoribanks, based on this, your cousin seems quite brilliant. What else did s/he do in school? It's important to know this because s/he will be competing against other brilliant (probably more brilliant) candidates from all over the world. So, having a CV loaded with lots of non-academic activities could help. Consider asking your cousin if s/he took part in extracurricular activities in high school.
ok boss! Thanks. I will inquire from him.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Marjoribanks: 8:42am On Mar 13, 2019
godG:

Hello boss, please do you have schools you can introduce to us. Although, I have some schools on my list however I am open to more. Thanks boss in advance! Lol
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 10:09am On Mar 13, 2019
bracelum:

So if harvard university gave you admit and the tuition fees is 85k$ without funding, then you choose it over university of florida that's also well respected and the tuition fee is 35k$. How is choosing harvard university a good choice. How many Nigerians can afford their tuition fees? Let's be realistic and leave ranking aside now. We haven't even talked about living expenses in both states

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 10:13am On Mar 13, 2019
CuteRedd:
doesnt make sense for you maybe. There are various reasons why one chooses a school regardless of how expensive it is pls!.... Him wanting to go to NEU because of his friend is another thing entirely. As I mentioned earlier nothing from his transcript shows that he can’t afford the fees. He wasn’t even asked that at all.

V.O knows only few nigerians can actually afford US tuition fees without any form of assistantship. His honesty would have saved him but he flopped when asked why he chose the school. The V.O will conclude he is going there cos of his friend.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by LagosismyHome(f): 11:16am On Mar 13, 2019
ManOfPeace2000:
I had my f1 visa but was denied. here is my transcript
vo:go morning. pass my your passport and i20
mesadI couldn't return the greeting because questions are coming very fast) I passed them
vo:what school
me: Northeastern University
vo:how did you know about this school
me:my senior in secondary School is currently a student of this University (cut in(
vo:who is he to you
me:he's a good friend of mine
vo: thanks for telling me the truth
vosadwas busy typing)why this school
me: because they offer experimental program which turn classroom experience into real life.they also provide Excellent learning program through internship program , which I believe will help me learn from expert in my field ( cut in)
vo: that's ok. how many school did you apply to
me:3
vo: name them
me:Northeastern University, Ohio State University and University of Arkansas
vo:were you admitted to University of Arkansas
me: yeah
vo:why did you choose Northeastern University over them
mesadthis is the only time she was paying good attention to me and she was also trying her possible best to understand me. but I was under tension) Northeastern University was my top choice and widely recognized in us than iniversity of Arkansas (she was nodding in disagreement)
vo:what do you want to study
me: liberal studies
vo:why
me:this course will enable me to become a journalist so choosing liberal studies will improve my writing,and critical thinking (cut in)
vo:sorry I can't approve your Visa
me: please why
vo: handed me the blue paper.

am open for any advice or suggestions

am 18years , finished school last year. no exam. no scholarship but none of them were asked.
I really messed up
I want to reapply next month.because I really need to study in us . I was under pressure during my interview that's why I said lot of rubbish
I plan to reapply next month. because I really need to study in us so as to make my dreams come true

i agree on some of the comments ............Even Americans , only few can afford that tuiton without student loan. Vo can see that paying that for 4 years BSC is not beans at all and the chances of getting there , withdrawing and falling out of status is higher when the tuition is high and you have a friend there

I dont know your daddys pocket , but that school with no scholarship will be really expensive for 4 years

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 11:38am On Mar 13, 2019
Time2win:

So if harvard university gave you admit and the tuition fees is 85k$ without funding, then you choose it over university of florida that's also well respected and the tuition fee is 35k$. How is choosing harvard university a good choice. How many Nigerians can afford their tuition fees? Let's be realistic and leave ranking aside now. We haven't even talked about living expenses in both states
lol as I said it’s your opinion. There are a million factors to choose Harvard are you kidding me? grin the exposure, networks, contacts, doors, prestige etc! Unparalleled!! UF bawo? There are some jobs you can’t even get without going to certain schools eg Consulting jobs (McKinsey,Bain etc). We can be too short sighted when it comes to these things I think it’s the Nigerian Mentality.

I believe there are other schools cheaper than the university you attended. With cheaper accommodations and cost of feeding. Why you attended your school is your choice and no one should hassle you for that. We all have different goals and pursuits abeg. Anyone wanting to take a risk for factors best known to him/her in choosing a better but expensive school shouldn’t be tagged unreasonable.

Pls it’s one thing to advice people it’s another to call nonsense people’s life decisions.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by JoeBazz(m): 11:40am On Mar 13, 2019
Hello house...
I'm now feeling like I'm too relaxed about my ambitions and goals about studying in the united state as the schools I applied to has not updated my admission status. I think I need to apply to more schools, please which schools waive application fee because I don't want to waste more money on application fee.
Which schools offer GA?
Thanks in anticipation for your response.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 11:42am On Mar 13, 2019
Time2win:

V.O knows only few nigerians can actually afford US tuition fees without any form of assistantship. His honesty would have saved him but he flopped when asked why he chose the school. The V.O will conclude he is going there cos of his friend.
yeah I agree he should have given a stronger and more confident reason for choosing the school.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 11:53am On Mar 13, 2019
JoeBazz:
Hello house...
I'm now feeling like I'm too relaxed about my ambitions and goals about studying in the united state as the schools I applied to has not updated my admission status. I think I need to apply to more schools, please which schools waive application fee because I don't want to waste more money on application fee.
Which schools offer GA?
Thanks in anticipation for your response.
send schools a request for a waiver also attach your unofficial credentials and talk about your professional experience/academic achievements if any. Also ask them if your profile is competitive enough to apply so that you don’t waste effort in applying to a place where you won’t have a chance. Wish you the best!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by JoeBazz(m): 11:58am On Mar 13, 2019
Thanks bro
CuteRedd:
send schools a request for a waiver also attach your unofficial credentials and talk about your professional experience/academic achievements if any. Also ask them if your profile is competitive enough to apply so that you don’t waste effort in applying to a place where you won’t have a chance. Wish you the best!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 12:11pm On Mar 13, 2019
CuteRedd:
lol as I said it’s your opinion. There are a million factors to choose Harvard are you kidding me? grin the exposure, networks, contacts, doors, prestige etc! Unparalleled!! UF bawo? There are some jobs you can’t even get without going to certain schools eg Consulting jobs (McKinsey,Bain etc). We can be too short sighted when it comes to these things I think it’s the Nigerian Mentality.

I believe there are other schools cheaper than the university you attended. With cheaper accommodations and cost of feeding. Why you attended your school is your choice and no one should hassle you for that. We all have different goals and pursuits abeg. Anyone wanting to take a risk for factors best known to him/her in choosing a better but expensive school shouldn’t be tagged unreasonable.

Pls it’s one thing to advice people it’s another to call nonsense people’s life decisions.

Well you are getting the whole picture wrong. A V.O will want to know why you chose such an expensive school without any form of funding over another good school that's quite affordable. Seeing 65k$ on your i20 screens an alarm on their head they will want to know why you are spending such amount of money. So if you tell the V.O about jobs you can't get with UF, you are indirectly telling him/her that you are eyeing the big money over there and might permanently stay over there and that means you haven't overcome the 214B non immigrant rule. Also taking a huge loan just cos you want to attend a top ranked school is not a nigerian thing and i won't advice anyone to do that. If you have the money to pay, then give a good reason why you chose the school. Well, Lagosismyhome has answered what's on my mind.

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 12:58pm On Mar 13, 2019
Time2win:

Well you are getting the whole picture wrong. A V.O will want to know why you chose such an expensive school without any form of funding over another good school that's quite affordable. Seeing 65k$ on your i20 screens an alarm on their head they will want to know why you are spending such amount of money. So if you tell the V.O about jobs you can't get with UF, you are indirectly telling him/her that you are eyeing the big money over there and might permanently stay over there and that means you haven't overcome the 214B non immigrant rule. Also taking a huge loan just cos you want to attend a top ranked school is not a nigerian thing and i won't advice anyone to do that. If you have the money to pay, then give a good reason why you chose the school. Well, Lagosismyhome has answered what's on my mind.
you are assuming the amount is the issue whereby the transcript didn’t show any hint of that being the problem. @bolded Good, that’s the best we can all do which is to advice people and not otherwise as I stated earlier. Not everyone agrees with our school of thought on matters and that should be ok. I am not even in support nor against his decision i just want us to be careful in denigrating people’s decisions when we don’t have enough context.

(1) (2) (3) ... (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.