Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:04 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (370) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (797206 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (367) (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:22pm On Apr 03, 2019
GboyegaD:

Twale mama! I have always thought you are so young alas, my guess was very wrong.

smiley cheesy grin.... how young is young. I still manage to be within 30 to 40 age bracket but my last degree waka was class of 04/06..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 8:24pm On Apr 03, 2019
fairheart:
When you are droping information here, always try to be concise. Intervened? Did they call the embassy because this school is top 15 bschool?

Yes, they do! They make the calls

Again I will like to reiterate that ANY top15 bschool student that do not secure a visa, it will be that the student failed to use resoures or help from the school.

Visa is not a problem for a top 15 bschool student even if their i20 balance is almost $100K

Your assumptions are based on the regular graduate school experience, which is very very very different from the bschool experience.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by GboyegaD(m): 8:25pm On Apr 03, 2019
bracelum:

You are talking based on assumptions. Top 15 BSchools are not normal graduate schools - they run like a well-oiled machine.

Once you get admitted, they offer [b]EVERY INTERESTED STUDENT financial assistance through scholarships, fellowships and loans. They don't leave you hanging like graduate schools do. As long as you present an i20 with scholarship, fellowship or loan from a top 15 bschool, your visa is almost sure![/b]

Visa is not an issue for those students at all... Not at all!

And 90% of those students do not seek fr graduate assistantship roles especially in their first year. In fact, elite MBA students do not think about graduate assistantship in their first year because they invest all their time in networking for those competitive investment banking and consulting jobs.

They only do assistantships in their second year after landing their dream internships which are often converted to fulltime offers

I agree with you on this however, it will be nice you spell it out at the beginning so that those interested can know what they are aiming for. I guess the loan will not fly for visa for many from underdeveloped countries.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 8:28pm On Apr 03, 2019
GboyegaD:

A question though, how would one go for such MBA without scholarship? Not when the likes of Harvard, Cornell and co tell you how they have over $2m worth of scholarship. I think what @fairstone is raising is how do you intend self sponsoring for such programs that are worth over $150k for the two years. That is so much an investment for a self sponsored student to risk.

Yes, that is what I'm trying to say. Bschool is very expensive and it is considered as a significant investment in the lives of people that attend it.

When you get admitted to a top bschool, they give you options to fund your degree (they never leave you hanging!). You either get fellowship, scholarships or loans. And almost all the top 15 schools can support you up to 100% of your entire cost of attendance.

However, you have to be ready for bschool before you apply. Being ready means having that perfect background and having that drive to succeed. If you don't have these two qualities, don't bother spending $200K on that degree because you are not ready. That is why I don't advice people without work experience jumping to an MBA. If you don't have that perfect background, an MBA is a waste of time for you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 8:29pm On Apr 03, 2019
Good! Good! Do you know any student they pull a call across to the embassy for? Have you personally seen any yourself? And if I may make this a little personal, what are you studying in the US and at which school?
bracelum:

Yes, they do! They make the calls

Again I will like to reiterate that ANY top15 bschool student that do not secure a visa, it will be that the student failed to use resoures or help from the school.

Visa is not a problem for a top 15 bschool student even if their i20 balance is almost $100K

Your assumptions are based on the regular graduate school experience, which is very very very different from the bschool experience.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by GboyegaD(m): 8:30pm On Apr 03, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Well she doesnt want to give you and just stating a reason. .... that all . But i understand. Financial details can be sensitive info to share out and can show you either have too much or too little .

One of the challenges with those abroad. If she knew she cannot release it, then it is not fair to have acted as her sponsor. This is the typical "ma jo lo, mo nwo eyin e i.e. keep dancing, I am entertained" syndrome. Just like a friend used to say during our undergraduates that some people who do not have any intention to help will act as though they want to when they truly don't. Would you advise she goes ahead with the interview?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 8:32pm On Apr 03, 2019
How many students from Nigeria do you know in bschool in the US? How many are studying with loan, scholarships, or fellowship?
bracelum:

Yes, that is what I'm trying to say. Bschool is very expensive and it is considered as a significant investment in the lives of people that attend it.

When you get admitted to a top bschool, they give you options to fund your degree (they never leave you hanging!). You either get fellowship, scholarships or loans. And almost all the top 15 schools can support you up to 100% of your entire cost of attendance.

However, you have to be ready for bschool before you apply. Being ready means having that perfect background and having that drive to succeed. If you don't have these two qualities, don't bother spending $200K on that degree because you are not ready. That is why I don't advice people without work experience jumping to an MBA. If you don't have that perfect background, an MBA is a waste of time for you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 8:32pm On Apr 03, 2019
fairheart:
Good! Good! Do you know any student they pull a call across to the embassy for? Have you personally seen any yourself? And if I may make this a little personal, what are you studying in the US and at which school?

I'm sorry I won't go further about this topic. And yes, I know a lot of students that were supported by the schools to get visas.

A top 15 bschool will never leave you hanging - that is the main summary of this long gist
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 8:32pm On Apr 03, 2019
lol...so, you sabi Yoruba like this? grin
GboyegaD:

One of the challenges with those abroad. If she knew she cannot release it, then it is not fair to have acted as her sponsor. This is the typical "ma jo lo, mo nwo eyin e i.e. keep dancing, I am entertained" syndrome. Just like a friend used to say during our undergraduates that some people who do not have any intention to help will act as though they want to when they truly don't. Would you advise she goes ahead with the interview?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by GboyegaD(m): 8:33pm On Apr 03, 2019
LagosismyHome:

smiley cheesy grin.... how young is young. I still manage to be within 30 to 40 age bracket but my last degree waka was class of 04/06..

Was thinking early 30s but now, would rather put you close to 40.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 8:35pm On Apr 03, 2019
fairheart:
How many students from Nigeria do you know in bschool in the US? How many are studying with loan, scholarships, or fellowship?

This shows you clearly have to do some research. You can start with LinkedIn.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by GboyegaD(m): 8:35pm On Apr 03, 2019
fairheart:
lol...so, you sabi Yoruba like this? grin

You no see my name? Anyways, I no too sabi Yoruba but I dey over try. Had to learn the hard way at some point.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by molosfaith86(f): 8:36pm On Apr 03, 2019
AgreatMan:

@molosfaith86

Please, if u r not ready for d interview, don't rush it.

Not like am not ready, but she won't agree to send the documents. She's a nurse and she earns a lot. My thought is that shez doing that for security reasons.
But am confused how to explain dis to the embassy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 8:37pm On Apr 03, 2019
Ah! You certainly wouldn't go further because you do not have experiential fact! You're the first person to tell me school call embassy to issue student visa to bschools student. And I have been laughing! Thanks anyway! grin
bracelum:

I'm sorry I won't go further about this topic. And yes, I know a lot of students that were supported by the schools to get visas.

A top 15 bschool will never leave you hanging - that is the main summary of this long gist
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 8:37pm On Apr 03, 2019
GboyegaD:

I agree with you on this however, it will be nice you spell it out at the beginning so that those interested can know what they are aiming for. I guess the loan will not fly for visa for many from underdeveloped countries.

Any financial aid from Harvard, Stanford, Yale etc (whether fellowships, loans or scholarships) can get you visa from any part of the world.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 8:39pm On Apr 03, 2019
Find alternative. If she has fear and she doesn't want embassy to look into her finance, then she's telling you she won't stand as your sponsor. Are you going for MS or Undergraduate? How much is to total cost of your program? Any scholarship?
molosfaith86:

Not like am not ready, but she won't agree to send the documents. She's a nurse and she earns a lot. My thought is that shez doing that for security reasons.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 8:39pm On Apr 03, 2019
fairheart:
Ah! You certainly wouldn't go further because you do not have experiential fact! You're the first person to tell me school call embassy to issue student visa to bschools student. And I have been laughing! Thanks anyway! grin

Great!

You choose to believe what you want to believe. You can't take a horse to a river and force the horse to drink water.

I won't force you to believe but the fact you don't believe it doesn't mean it is not happening.

grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 8:41pm On Apr 03, 2019
I see the name, bro. It's just nice to read the way you write it. Omo Yoruba atata! cheesy
GboyegaD:

You no see my name? Anyways, I no too sabi Yoruba but I dey over try. Had to learn the hard way at some point.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 8:44pm On Apr 03, 2019
Yinmu! You're not serious. wink
bracelum:

Great!

You choose to believe what you want to believe. You can't take a horse to a river and force the horse to drink water.

I won't force you to believe but the fact you don't believe it doesn't mean it is not happening.

grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by molosfaith86(f): 8:44pm On Apr 03, 2019
fairheart:
Find alternative. If she has fear and she doesn't want embassy to look into her finance, then she's telling you she won't stand as your sponsor. Are you going for MS or Undergraduate? How much is to total cost of your program? Any scholarship?

Undergraduate, no scholarships
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by MasterforceII: 8:45pm On Apr 03, 2019
bracelum:

What of top 16?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by molosfaith86(f): 8:45pm On Apr 03, 2019
fairheart:
30,000 dollars. She kept saying the school has verified it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 8:46pm On Apr 03, 2019
I am afraid you should cancel the appointment. You should get a scholarship, and then another sponsor. Like GboyegaD said, calm down and take your time, so this can work in your favour. I don't think you are set. That is the reality.
molosfaith86:

Undergraduate, no scholarships
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 8:48pm On Apr 03, 2019
fairheart:
Yinmu! You're not serious. wink

Have a great day!

And please stop making assumptions like that grin grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 8:49pm On Apr 03, 2019
MasterforceII:

What of top 16?

I don't know - sorry!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 8:56pm On Apr 03, 2019
I am so concern as to how the US embassy now looks at prospective students going to US for education that I need to share this with all of you in the processing or getting admission or waiting for scholarship, GA or financial aid from your school.

Please avoid going to the embassy with an I-20 without some sort of scholarship, GA, or financial aid that slash your total cost. Always make sure your I-20 has scholarship on it. This does not guarantee your student visa, but it increase your chance, and kind of makes the VO believe you're a genuine student (as they know that GA, high scholarships are competitive to get). And one more thing, avoid very expensive schools if you know they will know offer financial support to offset considerable amount of your tuition. In fact, I now tag schools like this a red flag!

The US embassy now frown at it, because when you look at the Nation's economy, they imagine how many Nigerians are well-off enough to spend over $40k a year. And indeed, how many Nigerians are well-off enough to spend such huge amount of money for a year? So, go for school that is affordable over expensive ones. This will also help balance how much your sponsor should have in his/her account.

We should record a lot of approval this Fall.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 8:56pm On Apr 03, 2019
Alright sir!
bracelum:

Have a great day!

And please stop making assumptions like that grin grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 8:58pm On Apr 03, 2019
fairheart:
i can attest to this! Even Lagosismyhome confirmed it so what’s the problem?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 8:59pm On Apr 03, 2019
grin grin grin Schools doesn't verify bank statement; they are after seeing the balance, and proper documentation on financial affidavit form. Nothing more! 30K is a lot. Please relax and shake up your plans. It appear to me that this is not the best time to apply for this visa (just so you'll not record a denial). And if you don't mind, how old are you? I am just trying to see other options I can recommend.
molosfaith86:

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:01pm On Apr 03, 2019
molosfaith86:

The truth is even as a nurse its not easy to sponsor an undergrad for 4 years. Regardless of her earnings it depends on her outgoings. Maybe she spends a lot on her lifestyle. Its her money and her choice to make . To sponsor a child for 4 years is also different from sponsoring another relative

I cant say for sure what the real situation is .... but abroad people work very hard for their money so there are always stories that touch when others want to depend on that money. Also sometimes initally sponsoring might seem like an okay idea but the closer to reality then colder the cold feet. .

How did you get your i20. Did she send the bank details directly to the school . It might also be due to security reasons. She knows best but go and tell her you cant go for interview without it and see what she says

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 9:02pm On Apr 03, 2019
Who be this? grin grin grin grin I don hear una. I don move, too. Just tell your school to call embassy for you ahead of your interview. You'll be alright! shocked
CuteRedd:
i can attest to this! Even Lagosismyhome confirmed it so what’s the problem?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:05pm On Apr 03, 2019
fairheart:
Who be this? grin grin grin grin I don hear una. I don move, too. Just tell your school to call embassy for you ahead of your interview. You'll be alright! shocked

grin.. i can confirm to you that Wharton did call the embassy and sorted those visa. This story close to home and i can give you names. There are always networks that happen on the backend . ....

some people get direct phone number to consulate . Its called LEVELS

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (367) (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.